Sept in the TVM.... recruiting Males of Middle Earth!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:17 am

Hobby, I'm considerably south of Boston (but not as south as Tooks!) so I'll just wave wildly, okay? :hihi:

Some days are grumpier than others...

For Calma :rose:
For Cock-Robin :rose:
For Toby :rose:

May we never forget them. :rose:

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Gamgee Wench » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:35 am

Hobby! I'm not too far from Boston....a few hours west. It's beautiful up here this time of year so if you want to come west....you would be welcome!
(I'm about 25 minutes north of Albany, NY).

And, I don't have much time to post, but for some reason I can see and post at work today? Not sure why....but not complaining either.

I really need to get back here.....
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:09 pm

I really need to get back here.....

Yes, you do. :D

So... a few sprinkles today. This is good. We may get real rain tonight.

:D
Oktoberfest!!!!

--------------------------------------
(for Calma)
---------------------------------
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Storyteller » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:38 pm

Prague photos:

St. Vitus Cathedral:

The building is GIGANTIC, downright intimidating in the sheer size and height of it. It is incredibly beautiful and elaborate inside, too.

Jerusalem synagogue (called so because it is located in the Jerusalem street:

Church of Our Lady before Tyn:

This picture really doesn't do it justice. This church MUST be seen after dark, with its spires illuminated. Then, it's breathtaking, like some fairy tale castle.

Prague as seen from the walls of the Old City:

Monument to the Trabant (a legendary car of East German manufacture... legendary mostly due to how lousy it was) in the German embassy's backyard:

My sister really wanted to see it, so we went searching for the German embassy. Apparently it's the fanciest embassy in town. They are renting a rather impressive palace, with a fancy garden and all. American and French embassies, both located nearby, look pitiful by comparison.

Michelle Obama ate here:

The Old-New synagogue:

They say the remains of the Golem made by Rabbi Loew Ben Betzalel are still stashed in the synagogue's attic.

More later.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby Hiril Elfwraith » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:46 pm

Hmm, I don't quite see the logic of Rabbi-with-a-very-long-name. Golem wouldn't be very good at defending anything against anyone, unless the attackers had his Precious. :|

Oh, wait. That's Gollum, not Golem. :roll: ;) :D :D
Hiril Elfwraith
Rider of the Mark

Postby Storyteller » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Heh, nice one Hiril :)
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:52 pm

hee.

Nice photos, Story. Must have been great seeing it all in person.
Oktoberfest!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby truehobbit » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:31 pm

Yeah, when we were first planning this, I thought 'wow, there are a lot of TORC-friends in the east who I've never met' - and then I looked at a map, checking some place-names I knew for some of them...
You tend to think of places being closer together in the east than the middle and west, but they're still hundreds of miles and hours of travelling apart. :|
Still, it's always worth asking, I thought. :D

So - thanks, Swordsman! :D - So, does that mean you'd like to meet up? :)

Wenchie, you don't happen to get to Boston now and then, then? :)
We have been talking about going to the Adirondacks, so we might be going in your direction at some point, but nothing's definite yet.
Mr hobby and I will be staying with friends, and any driving around we're leaving entirely up to them. Still, if we do go in that direction, we might be able to meet for coffee along the way, though it might be necessary for you to be able to drive out somewhere to meet us...?

In any case, if anyone wants to get in touch about meeting, you can either PM here or e-mail me at truehobbit at web dot de - my phone doesn't work in the US, but I expect our friends would let me check my e-mail on their computer. :D

NL, yep, I'm not a great eater of sea-food myself, normally, but I'm quite determined to try the sea-food dishes the area is famous for. :D

Storyteller, thanks for sharing the pics and travel report! Prague is really great. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Storyteller » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:29 pm

More pics.

One of the horse-drawn carriages which constantly circle the Old City- great way to take a tour around town:

If you're not a fan of horses, you can take a tour in an old-timer car like this one:

The Astronomical Clock:

My not very successful attempt to photograph the Church of Our Lady Before Tyn at night:

There was an event (some kind of marathon) taking up the entire square before the church, so I couldn't get any closer and capture the fantastic illumination of the spires.

Charles' Bridge- a foot bridge over the Vltava river that is also an artists' market, much like the Arbat street in Moscow:

One interesting place we went to was the Museum of Medieval Torture. I have photos of some of the exhibits, but there are ladies here :wink:

Monument to the writer Franz Kafka, near the Spanish synagogue in the Josefov (Jewish quarter):

It is based on a short story by Kafka in which the author dreams of an empty suit that wanders aimlessly through the city streets because it has no head and therefore no eyes. The author eventually sits onto the suit's shoulders and directs its way.

The Spanish synagogue was very impressive (it's called "spanish" because the decorations are in the Moorish style) but we were not allowed to photograph inside, and I couldn't get a good angle on the outside.

9/11 memorial ceremony by the American embassy workers near Charles' bridge:

There was a lone 9/11 Truther hovering around the ceremony (first time I saw a Truther T-shirt in Czech).

Honor Guard at the entrance to the Prague Castle. My dad, who saw the Honor Guard at Moscow's Red Square, said the Czech guards were slackers who couldn't march properly if their lives depended on it:

Storyteller
Mariner

Postby Calma » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:15 am

Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:24 am

What, Story, you didn't try to get into the attic to check out the remains? :D

Great pictures though, you're making me want to go there!

Calma: word

Hobby: Mr. Hobby?

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Frelga » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:40 am

And I work from home, too. :)

Story, lovely pics. Prague is on my bucket list, but so is most of the globe. A friend was telling me of her trip to Turkey the other day. She said Istanbul was beautiful beyond words. Now I want to go there, too. Life is too short, world is too big.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby truehobbit » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:27 am

LOLOL, Calma! :D

Iris, I'm not married (check out facebook for relationship status. ;) ), but TORCers like to refer to a significant other who's not on TORC themselves as Mr/Mrs Username. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:33 am

Oh...I didn't think I'd missed anything, but then you neve know! :D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Morwenna » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:00 am

Love that cat! :D

Love those pictures too. I know how it is o have everywhere on your bucket list! But in recent years I'm too ready to cling close to home. Believe it or not, I haven't flown anywhere in 15 years!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:17 am

Oh, I have to share THIS WEB SITE!!!!

You think my sig pic is cute? This is adorable!

IrisBrandybuck

Postby rowanberry » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:51 am

ST, great photos! I really must see Prague some day. (I could have gone there once, but it would have been in company of people from work, so I skipped it.)

Love that cat pic, Calma! 8) And, the video was just ROFL! :rofl:

Rose, there's no such thing as a bad judge at MoME. I think that you did actually very well, and are always welcome to give it another try!

And Hobby, it should be fine for you to get in a week late, if you come up with a contestant. Have a nice trip! 8)

Iris: Cute! :)
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:25 am

LOL Calma. :D The pic is not so great for me, as it spells the end of my vacation week. *sigh*

Nice pics, Story. I probably have long lost relatives in that area....maybe you saw some of them! :D

So....back to work outside, I guess. Only the weekend left before I go back to the grind. :x :x

Oktoberfest!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Frelga » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:51 am

Iris, that site is just full of squee! A biped of very little brain! :lmbo:

Ugh, back to work, busy day. At least I am home, although that does mean close proximity to the Green and Black chocolate bar with hazelnuts.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:54 am

mmm, hazelnuts!

I thought it was very squee-able. I found it at http://www.epbot.com

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Hiril Elfwraith » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:15 pm

Calma wrote:'nuff said

AMEN! Preach it, sista!

Seriously, that's been the extent of my thought processes the entire day. "At least it's Friday..."

My contact woes show no signs of relenting, as today one of my eyes was bloodshot straight to the iris and thus my contact hurt like heck...I had to take it out, put it in a baggy with some saline solution, and walk around the rest of the day with one eye closed. :roll:

I was very happy to get home and take the stupid thing out. I'll stick with my glasses, thank you very much.

Sigh...at least it's Friday. But one must never forget Homecoming, and the bonfire and dance tonight, and then the soccer games and concession-selling tomorrow...

However, this doesn't require much brainpower, which I currently have very little of at the moment.

:zzz:

I'm currently listening to Edge of Night. I love that song. Pippin has such a great voice.
Hiril Elfwraith
Rider of the Mark

Postby truehobbit » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:51 pm

Rowan, thanks, on both points! :D

Have a good time, all, don't torture those poor males of ME too much, at least not before October. :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:45 pm

A person on another site recently described the synagogues in Prague as "heartbreakingly beautiful."
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Frelga wrote: Life is too short, world is too big.

Bingo. My problem too. *sigh* Plus . . . "Bank account is too small." :D

Story, wonderful, wonderful pictures, thank you! You're right, Prague is a very beautiful city. :)

Hiril, some folks just can't "do" contacts. Don't fret over it and maybe try again in a couple of years? Or not. ;)

LOL Iris! Great site . . . I don't feel so lonely now. The Scribe of Little Brain has a friend in the Biped of Little Brain. :D

Calma, I LOVE that particular cat. And I couldn't agree more. :)

Aw Tooks . . . back to work Monday. Poor you. Poor us. Poor working stiffs. :D

Frelga . . . you . . . must . . . resist. Nah, go ahead. Pounce!!

Looks like work is about to shift into Horrible Gear again. We had a three and a half hour testing strategy meeting today, only to find out that with the workload for the upcoming test cycle, we're going to have to put in overtime again. *sigh* Which means no life, but maybe a few days off in lieu . . . ;)

And I'm taking an 8 am St. John's Ambulance First Aid Class tomorrow morning. What was I thinking??!!

Just shoot me now.

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:09 am

Calma you hit that nail on the head or better yet, that perfect cat in celebration!! :yippie: I so totally agree with the sentiment!!!

:hihi: to Everyone!!!! I have been so busy working and not getting online that it might take me a while to get caught up. But I will try tomorrow and Sunday to catch up. :hug: I missed you all!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of Calma she passed away on 07/05/19 ! RIP dear lady! :rose:
Primula Baggins passed away on 02/27/19
Cockrobin has passed away on 02/18/2019 Rest in the arms of Jesus my friend!
oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:36 am

*stops in*

*says :hihi: to all*

I have no travel adventures or exciting news.

My life is sooooooo boring. 8)

I'll have to make something up. Or start planning outrageous schemes for MoME....

:)
Oktoberfest!!!!

(for Calma)
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Gamgee Wench » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:38 am

Truehobbit!!!! Man, I think I missed her. Anyway....I might be able to swing out to Boston but life is somewhat nuts at the moment. If you head up to the Adirondacks, that would be a great place to meet up (and closer for me). From Boston i would be right on the way, unless you travel the base of Vermont to get there. Even then, I could drive to different places for a lunch or such.

The Adirondacks are right in my backyard, and Saratoga Springs is a lovely place to stop on your way up to the mountains for lunch....just say'in. :wink: Great restaurants and only 5 minutes from my house. :D I'll email you and see if this can work.....I actually don't even know the time frame of your US visit but I'm assuming soon? And if I can't see you, I'll wave to the east. :)

I finally have some time to type...still planning my friends wedding thingy. It's not a reception so to speak....but still a bit of a task. But we found someone to do a great cake....small but wedding-like. And....I do love cake! And we will decorate everything Autumn like. My neighbor has tons of small pumpkins and gourds, and it will be very nice (and the cakes flowers will be fall colors....yeah!) I think I'm more excited about the cake than anything. LOL!

And speaking of pumpkins....I helped my friend in her fields yesterday for two hours.....and we barely made a dent in all her pumpkins. But my back sure feels it. She has literally thousands this year and they are wonderful...all sizes and shapes. She even has a great crop of white ones....very cool. This was a great year for all her crops...and mine for that matter.

This brings her lots of joy and I'm so glad she had a good year with this....considering the hard year she has had with her son dying and such. To honor Jason, they head to Pittsburgh this Wednesday to the Thursday afternoon Pirates game. Her two younger sons get to throw out the first pitch....one pitching the other catching. It's to bring awareness to cystic fibrosis and fund raising for it.

OK...getting long winded....and I need to catch up with everyone else here.

I need to make raspberry jam so off I go (my raspberries are going gangbusters!)

:hihi: to all the Tookies! Hugs to everyone!
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Hiril Elfwraith » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:21 am

truehobbit wrote:Have a good time, all, don't torture those poor males of ME too much, at least not before October. :D

Well, whyever not? :twisted: :evillaugh:

Yeah, I should probably putter off to the other computer or download Photoshop on this one or use the one on Photobucket...

Sigh. Today I feel awful. Still, at least I made a sign for Homecoming in calligraphy stating that we're selling candy. My shift is 2-4. Hopefully I'll be better by then.

Doesn't help that I've got seven math megaproblems to do for Monday. *passes out*

I have some eye drops to help with the contacts. I have to be able to wear them for the SCA Faire mid-October that I'm going to. It's kind of funny because one of the science teachers told me about it, and they use the old names for places. Then she has to go Google them to find out where to actually go. :lol:

I have a cold too. I'd better not pass the sneezing onto my dad. He sprained his sacroiliac (lower back for you nonmedical types out there) and even laughing hurts. He's been sleeping in a recliner for the past month. Can you imagine how awful sneezing would be? *shudder*

MoME better hurry up and get here.

Edit: A little something for all you loons. (Especially you, Tooks! :D ) Space Jam Jams
Hiril Elfwraith
Rider of the Mark

Postby Morwenna » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:06 am

truehobbit wrote:
but TORCers like to refer to a significant other who's not on TORC themselves as Mr/Mrs Username. :D

Somehow I can't picture myself as ever referring to my husband as "Mr. Morwenna"!! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Dubatuluk » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:53 am

:hihi: all.

Uhm....yeah. Hi.

:P :lol:

I'm soo tired! Two jobs! woohoo! (It's been so cushy the last couple years, I forgot what it's like to work all day nearly every day. Sheesh.) BUT I got a FANTASTIC pair of shoes yesterday for standing around in a lot. My feet were barely hurting by the end of the day. :thumbsup: That's what I call a good buy!

Well, it's off for lunch and then that wurk stuff again.

I'll catch up more later.

:hihi:
Dubatuluk
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive