Thread of Today V

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Re: Thread of Today V

Postby heliona » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:21 pm

Leon K Fox wrote:Still, I don't expect I'll see the character any differently upon finishing it, but...you never know.

Oh, I doubt you'll see the character of Tom Bombadil differently, but the experiences of the hobbits come up again later on. :)

Today, I went to uni, got some work done, came home and had a very lovely M&S dinner for two. Yumm!

Good luck with the baking, Leon. Treat it as a science, read the recipe entirely before doing the baking, and follow it exactly, and you'll be fine. :)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Leon K Fox » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:06 pm

Today I gave in to the temptation/impulse and ordered my own Kindle, the Kindle Paperwhite (Wi-Fi only, I can tether it to my phone if I ever want to download a book) mum hasn't asked for hers back but I know I'm going to use it to read the Rizzoli and Isles series after I finish The Lord of the Rings and no doubt other books will follow.

I love the TV show and want to read the source material and I know the numerous conveniences of the Kindle are going to encourage me to read more. I know some paperback purists look down on Kindle users but sod 'em, you're reading the same material either way so I don't see why it should make a difference.

heliona wrote:
Leon K Fox wrote:Still, I don't expect I'll see the character any differently upon finishing it, but...you never know.

Oh, I doubt you'll see the character of Tom Bombadil differently, but the experiences of the hobbits come up again later on. :)

Good luck with the baking, Leon. Treat it as a science, read the recipe entirely before doing the baking, and follow it exactly, and you'll be fine. :)

Alright. I haven't actually gotten back to the book today, I need to get to that. I guess I'm just not chomping at the bit to read the chapter, but the sooner I finish it the sooner I do the sooner I can get on wIth the story.

As for the baking, oh don't worry, I plan to have that recipe practically glued to my side during this. I've bookmarked the page I got it from and plan to print it out before I start. :P
Last edited by Leon K Fox on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Silwen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:58 am

I'll tell you why books are superior to an eReader for me. :D I posted this not to long ago in a thread in the Scriptorium here on TORC. Of course, this is just my opinion based on how I read and obviously not everyone needs or gets the same things from reading that I do:
A friend of mine whom I met during my literature studies years ago has succumbed to the allure of the Kindle. While talking to her about it, I tried to put into words why I just don't like reading with eReaders. It seems I am too tactile to enjoy it: the feel of a book contributes massively to my reading experience. It enriches how I visualise what I am reading, adds depth to the mental image and the sound of words, and it cannot be replicated by an eReader. I found that while reading one of my favourite author's novels on a borrowed Kindle, my reading experience was superficial, my imagination was too superficial. That is the death of what reading is to me! Therefore I wouldn't mind using an eReader to read stuff I don't care about, or perhaps some non-fiction (hard facts, hard reading device - the perfect match), but never fiction or poetry.

I always knew that the feel of things was important to me - for instance, I can only truly appreciate a painting hanging in a gallery if I can touch it and feel the brush strokes. Not that easy in museums and galleries, obviously! I was surprised to find, however, that this also goes for books.

(Source)

Today all forecasts say it is snowing over here. Haven't seen a flake yet.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:33 am

Silwen wrote:I'll tell you why books are superior to an eReader for me. :D I posted this not to long ago in a thread in the Scriptorium here on TORC. Of course, this is just my opinion based on how I read and obviously not everyone needs or gets the same things from reading that I do:....

Hey Silwen! I warmly share my appreciation of books over eReaders with you and that piece was wondedful !! Well, I haven't read anything on Kindle ever and I am not tempted too. Just my feelings! :D Nobody needs to get cross! :)

Hi Leon! Did you make the cake then? :)

LK, I haven't faced that situation till now. But I do know about that feeling when my parents get upset over bill-arrivals (especially increased ones! :D )

Today, I gave a 3 hour test and my head is still hurting from that. I am going to slumber then! :sleep:
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Leon K Fox » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:39 am

For the record guys, when I said "paperback purists" I meant people who will actively look down on people for choosing to read off of an e-reader in some hipster-ish kind of way. I didn't mean people who prefer paperbacks period as I know people will always have their reasons for sticking with them and I understand/respect that, but for me reading off of a Kindle is perfectly fine and I just love some of the conveniences they bring with them.

Plus I've ordered a leather (well it's faux leather given the price, but I'd prefer that anyway I think) case for it so it'll feel in a way like I'm holding a leather bound book, so even the slight issue of the way it feels in the hand isn't one for me really as mum's is also in one of these cases. Each to their own though.

Today I woke up early...early by my standards anyway. And no I haven't baked the cake yet, gonna do so closer to Saturday so the temptation to eat some of it all "Nom nom nom!" style isn't there for longer than neccesary. Plus someone else may be tempted to do so. :P
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby portia » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 am

Today: We had too much activity.
The man whose truck broke down was hinding in a (vacant) cabin, about 1/4 of a mile away, with a good view of the briefing area(!!).
I assume that he got entry without doing anything of damage. House clearners got there and he tied them up and stole their car, and headed out over highway 38 downhill. He was spotted by a Ca. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife person, who put it out on the air and tried to catch him, but missed the turnoff, he took. 2 more, in 2 cars were coming the other way, and picked up the chase. He shot at one set of cars, and was fired upon by the other. SD Sheriff's took up the chase and cornered him in an house. The house caught fire, and there was a shot heard from the house before a lot of ammunition went off by itself, in the heat. The house was allowed to burn down and the overwhelming likelihood is that the man was killed, tho' that is not confirmend.

What bothers me is the location of his house during the days between. This was a home within 150 yards of the brieifing area, and maybe 250 yards from the zoo where I volunteer. I think the sheriffs will have to refine their search areas.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:38 am

Today when my mum bought me back from nan's I left the ingredients to bake the cake there. I wasn't planning on baking it today anyway, still need them before Friday as I need the cake ready for Saturday but she says she'll collect them when she goes to see nan tomorrow.

Also my wireless receiver is being as terrible as ever, it's better than most USB Wi-Fi dongles but all the same I really need to get a proper wireless card put inside this machine eventually, have had to spend the day tethered to my Samsung Galaxy S3 with my 3 Mobile data plan. This is why I went with his carrier, so I can use the internet as much as I like without risking being billed extra for excessive use.

portia wrote:Today: We had too much activity.
The man whose truck broke down was hinding in a (vacant) cabin, about 1/4 of a mile away, with a good view of the briefing area(!!).
I assume that he got entry without doing anything of damage. House clearners got there and he tied them up and stole their car, and headed out over highway 38 downhill. He was spotted by a Ca. Dept. of Fish and Wildlife person, who put it out on the air and tried to catch him, but missed the turnoff, he took. 2 more, in 2 cars were coming the other way, and picked up the chase. He shot at one set of cars, and was fired upon by the other. SD Sheriff's took up the chase and cornered him in an house. The house caught fire, and there was a shot heard from the house before a lot of ammunition went off by itself, in the heat. The house was allowed to burn down and the overwhelming likelihood is that the man was killed, tho' that is not confirmend.

What bothers me is the location of his house during the days between. This was a home within 150 yards of the brieifing area, and maybe 250 yards from the zoo where I volunteer. I think the sheriffs will have to refine their search areas.

I heard about that on BBC News this morning, really hoping it is indeed the convicted cop killer who perished in that fire for you and everybody around you's sakes, though I hear some cops were killed in the shoot-out at the cabin which is unfortunate. :(
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby portia » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:36 pm

Today, the funeral for one of the cops was held.
Yes, a total of 4 cops were killed, and 2 injured. The first two killings were the daughter of an LA cop and her boyfriend.
The shooter had been a cop for 3 years, but was found to have been lying when he reported that his partner(?) had kicked a suspect. There was also a report that he was about to be given a sub-par rating. I believe that the whole thing is to be re-evaluated to decide if it was properly handled. We have not heard the end of this, yet.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Today my Kindle Paperwhite arrived in the post along with the wine red faux leather case I ordered for it, I absolutely love it. :D Reading Lord of the Rings on it is a very pleasant experience, touch screen is very responsive and despite fearing I'd miss the buttons that my mum's Kindle had, the touch screen is so easy to use that I actually don't miss them too much!

Plus the light on it is amazing, will come in handy when no other light source is available. This thing will most certainly encourage to read a lot more often than I have been for a good few years now. I also bought the first book in the Rizzoli and Isles series for when I _eventually_ finish LOTR.

Only problem I'm having with it is syncronisation across multiple Kindle compatible devices, though they're both connected to the internet, the synchronisation of book progress between my Kindle and Galaxy S3 isn't working at all :S

Also mum picked up the ingredients to bake the cake from nan's, I'll be baking it tomorrow ready for Saturday. Wish me luck :P

portia wrote:Today, the funeral for one of the cops was held.
Yes, a total of 4 cops were killed, and 2 injured. The first two killings were the daughter of an LA cop and her boyfriend.
The shooter had been a cop for 3 years, but was found to have been lying when he reported that his partner(?) had kicked a suspect. There was also a report that he was about to be given a sub-par rating. I believe that the whole thing is to be re-evaluated to decide if it was properly handled. We have not heard the end of this, yet.

I'm now hearing that the LAPD are being accused of setting the fire with the intent of killing Christopher, I know that setting a fire to flush him out is a likely scenario, but if it was on the off chance set with the specific intent of killing him then I can see that causing a major stink in the media, that is if it hasn't already, I'm not as up to date on these matters as I could be at times.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:50 pm

Leon, I can highly recommend the free program, Calibre, to organise your e-books and sync your devices. It's pretty self-explanatory, but you can set it as your default device being a Kindle, for instance. And it'll alphabetise all your books - something that comes in very handy when you've got a lot of e-books (I'm sure you'll keep getting them if you love your Kindle). :)

Today, I spent half of the day puzzling over the weekly assessment problems that I've been set this week (that need to be handed in tomorrow) - I finally managed to crack the one last sticky question this evening. Now I've only got a few things to do on my research project to prepare for my meeting with my project supervisor tomorrow morning. *sigh* Bye! :hihi:

portia, I think every time something like this happens, accusations are aimed at the police (or whoever it may be). I hope they're not true.

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief! & My Instagram account

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Silwen » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:03 pm

Today I once again thought that if the neighbours keep ordering takeaways and the delivery drivers keep ringing our bell instead, one day I shall take their food. It happens far too often! And don't think I wouldn't do it! I can be an evil neighbour. I have stopped letting in one of our neighbours who always leaves the house without taking his keys with him.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:01 pm

Tear gas can cause fires, as has been well known since the Simbionese Liberation Army standoff, years ago. So, who can tell why they were used?

As to searching apparently undisturbed cabins, I think there will be a question of a court order. And what would they use for probable cause.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:55 am

Today I am going to get that cake baked for tomorrow, I am going to have a helping hand but hey, I've never baked anything before so yeah. :P

(It's for a just for fun baking contest at a Brony meet I'm going to tomorrow, some of my friends are also entering, one of whom was once a baker as a profession, so I ain't winning either way. :rofl: Oh well. ^^
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:18 am

The main thing is that it tastes good. :D Good luck! :)

Today (or rather, tonight), I'm going to keep a close eye out for the asteroid. Image

heliona

Postby Leon K Fox » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Today my sister and I got that cake baked. It was FAR more of a clart than I was expecting it to be as a total cake newbie, but here it is! I feel a bit bad saying "My" cake at times as it is my entry for tomorrow, as my sister was an immense help in making it, I don't do things with her often so it was nice to get to do so! I'm so tempted to try some though, this is why I waited until just the day before to make it. :rofl:

Ended up making a different kind of cake than I originally intended as the recipe I had seemed a bit odd. It meant I wasted money buying things like baking powder and bicarbonate of soda when I didn't need to and we used a different kind of flour as well, but oh well, no use crying over spilt milk. Still, here it is in all of its finished glory. :P

heliona wrote:The main thing is that it tastes good. :D Good luck! :)

Thanks ^^ I don't know how it tastes, but I will come tomorrow.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Silwen » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:21 pm

Looks good, Leon! And now I want cake. :P

Today I enjoyed the sunshine we had - you never know how long it will last. Since I need to go into town tomorrow, I hope it will be sunny as well.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:13 pm

Today I am going back to reading The Lord of the Rings, not done that at all today and for being such a long book stalling will mean it only takes longer to finish. I've always been a bit of a slow reader though, heh.

Silwen wrote:Looks good, Leon! And now I want cake. :P

How do you think I feel? The thing is sat there on the cooker just begging to be eaten and ruin its presentation before tomorrow. :P
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:28 pm

Leon, I wouldn't worry about the extra things that you bought - they'll last for ages, and then you can use them for another baking project. :) It looks lovely.

Tonight, I didn't get to see the asteroid because (a) I was looking too early (I'd been misled by my friends! :roll:) and (b) it was (and still is) cloudy in the direction I'd need to be looking. However, Sirius is lovely and bright, and Jupiter is just gorgeous right now, so standing out in the middle of the street in the cold wasn't wasted. :D

heliona

Postby Leon K Fox » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Today I was called a hipster because I don't like mainstream Japanese anime. May seem a bit silly but that did actually annoy me quite a bit, as if disliking something that happens to be popular automatically makes you a hipster.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Silwen » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Does my age show if I say that to be called a hipster in that context is actually a great thing? I suspect the meaning might have changed in current youth culture. :?

Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.

Source

Today I am very bored and don't know what to do with myself. I suspect that's because I haven't got anything to knit at the moment and my day hasn't been too great either. But at least it is Friday!
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:11 pm

Silwen wrote:Does my age show if I say that to be called a hipster in that context is actually a great thing? I suspect the meaning might have changed in current youth culture. :?

It depends on the context in which it's used but in my experience it's always a straight up insult. It implies you like things simply for the perception/idea of being "unique" and nothing more. It also implies a great deal of egotism as the sterotypical hipster (by today's standards) is usually quite uppity and/or full of themselves.
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Perhaps the people calling people who don't like "normal" stuff hipsters are the ones who are liking things simply for the sake of liking things.

I have to say, I don't think I've every heard anyone be called or call anyone a "hipster" either as a good thing or a bad one. "Hippy" yes, "hipster" no. (And "hippy" was generally considered a good thing.) Quite frankly, anyone who calls someone by a label is just silly. :roll:

Tonight, I'm going to play on the PS3. :)

heliona

Postby Leon K Fox » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Well I said my piece in response to the person who said it and haven't heard anything back, so all is well, I'll get over my bad mood and occupy myself, be it by reading LOTR or playing a game or something.

heliona wrote:

Nice, any particular game? :)

Today I am sat around, unsure about what to do to pass the time, looking forward to tomorrow immensely!
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Leon K Fox wrote:
heliona wrote:

Nice, any particular game? :)

Dungeon Siege. I'm playing co-op with Wilko, which is pretty handy, to be honest. For him at least, since I'm concentrating on my attack (I'm a ranged weapon person) so whilst he draws the big enemies to him, I shoot and kill them from afar and then have to resurrect him about half the time! :D But as we're getting to grips with the different controls and skills we have, we're getting better.

Today, I'm going to have to get to work on my project again. Friday evening was time off. Back to work over the weekend. :bookworm: Enjoy your day, Leon.

heliona

Postby siddharth » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:10 pm

Leon! that cake looks delicious!! :o

Silwen, enjoy the sun. :D When it shines it shines out the clearer! :P

Heliona, you play games!!?!?! :Q :Q :D Good luck on your project! :thumbsup:

Today I have to study a lot. A lot from now on, that is. My last tests start within two weeks!
siddharth
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:50 am

Ah the sun is gone again. :( But at least it is still mild.

Today I have to go hunting for a magazine for a German friend. I hope I can actually find it. I know that the local shop often runs low on magazines I look for so finger's crossed! This friend has sent me on an errand not only to find her that magazine, but also to order some things for her that, for some odd reason, cannot be sent to Germany by the US-seller - even though she does sell everywhere else. So I will be posting a largish package to my friend sometime soon. :)
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Leon K Fox » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:52 am

Today I am at a big monthly Bristol Brony meet, been awesome so far. ^^ Even had some Tolkien orientated ramblings with the only other Tolkein-ite (term I thought up on the fly) based on what I've read of Lord of the Rings, particularly with regards to Tom Bombadil and his chapter. =P

Sat in a venue watching funny fan made videos before the Season 3 finale airs, the atmosphere is awesome in here, the baking competition will be happning after the episode though. Wonder how my cake will be recieved. :P

After the day's antics are done a few of us will be hitting up a pub for a little while. :)

Siddharth, thanks. ^^ The cake is with the other entries, will be keen to see how the bake off tuens out!

Heloina, thanks as well. ^^ It's been awesome so far!
Leon K Fox
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ladykat » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:23 pm

Today I really must do more work on orginazing my files at home. Just had my taxes done, gotta keep everything in order in case I need to find something in a hurry.

LK
Ladykat
Between the Worlds of Men and Make Believe I Can be Found

Postby Lalaith-Elerrina » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Today I finally got my taxes done!
Lalaith-Elerrina
Ringbearer

Postby siddharth » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:35 pm

Today, I am going to be very busy I think. I need a lot of time for my studies!

Silwen, so how did the mag-hunt go? :wink: :D

Leon, you are welcome. Good luck for the competition. And if your cake doesn't win, no need to get down. IMO, as a first try it looked really great! :thumbsup:

LK, hope you are well. Haven't heard from you since Friday, I think?

Bye.
siddharth
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive