Thread of Today V

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Silwen » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:29 pm

What kept you, Cock-Robin?

Tari, there were candidates who were more suitable in terms of experience, which I expected.

Today I had a nice long bath with a snowman bath bomb from Lush. :D It smelled really nice too. I recently had a massive shopping spree at the shop though I hadn't expected to find anything of interest. Woops. :P
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Lebasi » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:00 pm

Today I remembered I once posted on this thread and should do so again.

I haven't read anything though, sorry. I will soon.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby telcontarian » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:51 pm

Welcome back, Lebasi. :) Hope you stick around!

Today I have caught Freshers' Flu - about a week or two too late. :roll: It's just the sniffles luckily, but have still done absolutely nothing today. The weekends here are pretty boring. :(

But... I got a new job yesterday! :D
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:58 pm

Congrats, Tari! What is it?
Get better fast.

Today I made my first ever potato soup. :D It may have been the best soup I ever made and I plan to take the leftovers to work for lunch on Monday.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:05 pm

Thank you! :D I'm quite surprised I got it - even though I have absolutely no experience whatsoever in the areas I'll be working in.

The company is called Recruitment Management Services - basically when another company needs someone (a waitress or a barmaid, which I'll be doing) they phone up my employer who then phone me and ask me if I want to do it. :) I don't need to if I don't want to, and I'm not working regular shifts which is odd. The office is based in Darlington which is about an hour's commute from here, but there will be a lot of venues coming up in Middlesbrough leading up to Christmas. They actually phoned me last night asking to work, but I was already back in the Boro by then and it would have taken me an hour to get there to only work for a couple of hours.

Phew! Today I am watching X Factor while chatting to my mum on MSN. :)
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Lebasi » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:10 pm

Like Silwen said, Tari.

And that's good about the soup Silwen. We grew a lot of turnips in our garden last year and I think there's still some soup in the freezer from when I cooked them all.

Today I lost a football match.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby telcontarian » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:13 pm

I forgot to say about the soup! How did you make it, Silwen? :D I would love to make a batch, but don't have a big enough pot.

Sorry to hear about your football match, Lebasi. :(

Today I never realised how sarcastic my mum was - she's been hanging around me and my dad too much. :P
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:34 pm

Tari, I made the soup with a kilo of potatoes (diced, some mashed later), fried bacon/lardons, 2 sticks of celery, 1 carrot, 3 shallots, 500ml of chicken stock, some black pepper, parsley and thyme to taste. I let it simmer for ages because soup just gets better the longer you cook it. This time I cooked it for at least an hour - not sure how long exactly because I was doing all sorts of things at the same time.

I still need to tackle your lentil soup!

Lebasi, I only discovered turnips recently. I had never used one till this month when I used it in soup. I shall be using more of it.

Today I bought two DVDs and both were good purchases. Especially Vera Drake was a good bye. I had wanted to watch it for years, but never got around to it.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:02 pm

That's quite different from how I make mine, but it still sounds really good. :D I might make some lentil soup tomorrow. :)

Today I am going to go for a shower and then get an early night, I think. Need to go food shopping tomorrow. :roll:
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:19 pm

Oo, I forgot to mention I also added two bay leaves. :D

How do you make yours, Tari?

Today I shall have more cake! Bye. :P
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Em, boil up a ham hough for a couple of hours for stock (optional), boil up potatoes and lentils. Chop some carrots and blend along with some of the liquid from the soup. Add the blended stuff, take out the hough, let it boil until potatoes are soft and then add ham cubes according to taste (which are kind of hard to get here, I've noticed!) and then season. :)

Cake! :D *Drools over keyboard*

Today I am too lazy to go for a shower. I may just tidy my room some and go to bed. So much for students being party animals. :lol:
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:57 am

I have also had a hard time finding cubed ham or the typical kind of "soup meat" we use in Germany. Maybe I am not looking in the right places though. I am sure a butcher could help me and we do have some in Bath.

Today I shall go into town, try on some clothes in a shop before I buy online with a discount I got for a damaged top, perhaps visit the brand new chocolate shop again, and I will finally buy me a fancy blender! Woohoo!
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:27 am

The butchers is a good call. :) I think I'm going to need to pay them a visit so I can have haggis on Burns' Night. :D

Today I never fell asleep till nearer 5am, but I'm thinking of making some lentil soup. :D
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Lebasi » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:22 am

I never use meat in soup because I'm vegetarian, but other than the fact that I wouldn't eat it, your soup sounds nice.

Today, I intend to do some homework. I should have started by now as the day's half finished, but I always do more in the evenings than the mornings.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:32 am

Ah, sorry, Lebasi! :) Almost all my soups have some sort of meat in them because only vegetables aren't as filling for me, I have found.

Today I realised that the day I intend to take off to go to London is Bonfire night. I had no idea! Might be a tough day to take off work then.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:03 am

I'm not a huge fan of vegetables, though I was vegetarian for five years. My parents were sneaky and cooked soups with meat stock. :roll:

Today I am waiting for Tesco to deliver my groceries. :roll: I'm also wishing that I was back in Glasgow at the moment, as everything started happening when I moved away and I feel like I'm marooned on some desert island. :|
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:06 pm

Isn't that always the way? As soon as we move away, things get interesting.

Today a new supervisor started at work, but I never really heard her speak until we all went home. Then she was really loud. :shock:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Lebasi » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:45 pm

Today I went to Weston Super Mare (the new pier is very claustrophobic and busy, but did I expect anything else?) and once again didn't do enough homework. It's half term, but I'm going back to school on Monday.

My parents are vegetarian too, so they wouldn't put meat stock in soups...

I put cream in turnip soup Silwen. Would that be more filling or similar to vegetable soup?
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:49 pm

Hm, it would be similar to vegetable soup. I just avoid cream or milk in soup because of the fat in it I have to be careful about (not easy!). Now I want soup. :D

I want to go to Weston-Super-Mare again sometime to see the pier too. Did you go on any rides?

Today a friend of mine laid tarot cards for me. :shock: Surprisingly accurate. And a bit frustrating to hear what I didn't like. :P
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Lebasi » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:20 am

Hm. Soup. Why do I never have time to make any?

I took my little brother into somthing that wasn't really a ride as such, but not really anything else.

Today I need something to say I did. Um. I did some homework and will do some more because it's only the morning...
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:33 am

Today I shall try to make my first pumpkin pie. I wonder how that will go. :shock:

Apart from that it is a busy day anyway: shopping, cleaning, Lush party, picking up a teddy from Oxfam that I hope is still there. I walked passed it all week, but I couldn't buy it because I only pass too early in the morning or too late in the evening when the shop is closed!
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby tarathiel » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:20 pm

Today i have been plagued by IDIOTS :lightening: :bang: :evil: :evil:

My computor is on a go slow.

My printer won't work.

I am going to give up and go to bed :angry:

Other than that everything is cool :wink:
How's everyone else doing?
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:54 am

Hi Tar! Good to see you hear again.

I have the theory that people turn into idiots towards the end of the year in particular. At work it certainly seems to whenever I deal with customers.

Today I shall make pumpkin pie (fingers crossed!) and have a little Halloween. We will be watching horror films and eating Halloween themed chocolate. And then there's still more cleaning to do... *sigh*
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby tarathiel » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:04 am

today i have declaired war on my printer :x

if it doesn't decide to work soon i will throw it in the skip :evil: :angry:
tarathiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Lebasi » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:20 am

Today, I carved a pumpkin and surprisingly enough did some more homework.

Surprisingly, our printer actually works. I hope yours does work today. Electrical equipment can be infuriating. :angry:

Good luck with your pumpkin pie, Silwen, I expect it will taste good. I'm not actually sure what we'll make with our pumpkin...
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:39 am

Today I wish you all a Happy Halloween!

I never did anything on Halloween before, but this time I gave it a try.
Simple costume, very rudimentary carved pumpkin

My first ever pumpkin pie:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:56 am

Did you remember the Cool Whip? :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Silwen » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:05 pm

That does not exist here. :P But I do have cream. "Light double cream". I would think that's single cream, really.

Today we had trouble getting a new jar of honey open. After trying every trick in the book, I resorted to punching holes in the lid with a screw driver and cutting part of the lid open. Problem solved.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:05 am

Today I am suffering a little after going on a mini-pub crawl around Glasgow with one of my friends. The highlight of the night definitely had to be getting my rear end slapped by a guy dressed an iPhone. :lol:

Hope everyone's doing all right - hope you sort out your printer problems, Tar!
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:28 pm

All's well here.

Today I had to clean the bathroom in time for our flat inspection. It is on Thursday and we still have so much to do till then. :|
Silwen
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive