The 4th Course, The Foodies Thread

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

The 4th Course, The Foodies Thread

Postby rwhen » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:22 am

Back for a fourth round of delicious food stuffs, the Foodies Thread.

Bon appetit!!

Last night I had pizza and on the way home tonight I will be picking up a chicken for roasting or a rotisserie one and this weekend, chicken soup with dumplings.

How about you?

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby earendil81 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:01 am

I have to take part today..

Last night my husband cooked a pork roast with garlic, potatoes and cooked in a teryaki sauce of his doing.
It was awesome. It was also my lunch today : ya bet I made da people at work jealous :P :P

And on my side I actually prepared a pear jam which I tasted this morning: really yummy :D :D :D :D. Kind of proud of myself as it is the first time I actually made one :) :). And it tastes almost as good as my grandma's (not quite as good but she is a master jam maker and she used to do it with the pears of her own garden so ;))
ImageNever forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:17 am

Last night I made Chili Cheese Tortillas for my hubby and I for dinner. Nothing fancy but they are filling. Something we started eating when the finances got tight and we could not afford a lot of food. But chili and tortillas are fairly inexpensive and we always have cheese around so we made them and liked them a lot. Sometimes I will just have a bowl of chili smothered in cheese and then dip corn chips in and enjoy it that way.

Tonight I work late again and Ryan promised to go get pizza so I expect it will be ready when I get home. I don't know what kind he will get. I know they have a new one out with all kinds of bacon on it and he was interested so perhaps.......
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rowanberry » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Looks like everybody's having pizza. :P Me, too, today.

Tomorrow there will be teriyaki salmon, and on Sunday it's Chicken Kiev. (Both bought from a deli, because this weekend, I'm all too busy to cook anything myself.)
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Cock-Robin » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:57 pm

Mmmmm...Chicken Kiev. Haven't had that or Chicken Cordon Bleu for the longest time. Gotta find some.

Or a Monte Cristo sandwich. YUM! Gotta find a recipe and make me one.

Use the Force!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 pm

I love Chicken Kiev and Chicken Cordon Bleu!!!! YUM!!!!

Now I am wanting that and I am sitting here finally eating my pizza that Ryan bought for us tonight. He got our usual 5 meat pizza from Papa Murphy's minus the ground beef with added Artichoke hearts and extra bacon. To Die For!!!!! :P
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby portia » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:03 am

Chicken and dumplings. . .that brings to mind a controversy. During this last year I FIRST had the noodle-like dumplings. Before, any dumplings I had were more like steamed biscuits.

Is this a regional thing? I know very little about the differences, and I would welcome comments on why the difference and any recipes people have lying around.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:19 am

Germans make a 'dumpling' called spaetzle. It's a thin dumpling batter that is dropped into boiling water through a sieve, colander, or a metal grater creating noodle-like dumplings.

SOME people use regular noodles and call them 'dumplings' but .. spaetzle is chewier/hardier than a noodle. It's definitely NOT something that is rolled out like a noodle.

RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby portia » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:24 am

I believe I had spaetzle one time, but the "dumplings" I had this year were thicker, longer. They were about the surface area of a wide egg noodle, but at least four times as thick and much softer, even when cooked.

I am making myself hungry. Later.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Calma » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:48 am

CR... A Monte is soooo simple.
Make French toast batter... Egg, vanilla, milk...
I prefer thick bread, but others prefer sourdough, :P
Three pieces of bread on the griddle like you were making French toast.
When you turn them over, place ham and your choice of cheese on one slice. (I usually use Swiss)
Turkey and your choice of cheese on another. (Cheddar here for me)
Put the third piece on top of the Ham and cheese part then flip the turkey part onto that.
Cut into quarters and if you want, shake powdered sugar over it.
Some people also drizzle syrup over it.

I have a pot roast with baby carrots and Yukon Gold potatoes cooking in the crock pot. :D
Dinner's going to be yummeh.

My Favorite Star Wars Character....

Mr. Cool Himself. :D

May Is Star Wars Month in the TVM!!!

Join the funWith The TVM

CAT LOVERS GUILD Image :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

WINS: 15 :D

LOSSES: 17 :P

SOUNDERS!!!

Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan Image

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image ROCK ON!!!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:15 pm

I haven't made spaghetti/spaghetti sauce in ages.. and we used to have it all of the time.. so.. I think that is what I'll be making today.. a vat of spaghetti sauce (I'll freeze some for quick meals later).

I don't know if this fits in the 'foodie' thread but...

I have been making my own dog food because whatever was in my poor little Pippin's food was destroying her health. I was buying (what I thought was) a good brand.. Nutro Ultra.. but she was having joint problems (which at first I assumed was just part of her having bad joints) then she began itching and licking incessantly.. and last.. eating soap! She would wait for one of us to come out of the shower & go in to see if we'd dropped any soap! So I did a little research & started making my own dog food. I spent several hours making it, but now I have individual serving sizes frozen to use for a couple of months now. She's been on this new diet a couple of weeks and all of the problems have stopped.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:32 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:I haven't made spaghetti/spaghetti sauce in ages.. and we used to have it all of the time.. so.. I think that is what I'll be making today.. a vat of spaghetti sauce (I'll freeze some for quick meals later).

I don't know if this fits in the 'foodie' thread but...

I have been making my own dog food because whatever was in my poor little Pippin's food was destroying her health. I was buying (what I thought was) a good brand.. Nutro Ultra.. but she was having joint problems (which at first I assumed was just part of her having bad joints) then she began itching and licking incessantly.. and last.. eating soap! She would wait for one of us to come out of the shower & go in to see if we'd dropped any soap! So I did a little research & started making my own dog food. I spent several hours making it, but now I have individual serving sizes frozen to use for a couple of months now. She's been on this new diet a couple of weeks and all of the problems have stopped.

Haven't had much interesting stuff going on on the food front lately, I might take a cooking class soonish......just because. And I bought a new cookbook from a chef I really like, Ming Tsai..........figure I don't own any cookbooks actually, and his restaurant is very good, so hope to try something out of that soon.

Our vet just advised us to give our dog "people food" and as she started to not be able to digest much, then we started giving her easy to eat baby food and mashed potatoes. He said it was much healthier then some dog food brands, which are essentially junk food more or less.

I haven't had pizza in a while, which is a bit of crime in a town with so many authentic Sicilian's and their corresponding restaurants :D

My favorite would have to be roasted red peppers and black olives........so good.........
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:16 pm

There are a few things dogs cannot eat. Onions, grapes, chocolate, raisins, rhubarb, alcohol, too many spices, etc.. and there are a few things they can eat, but they cannot digest.. like grains. Many dog foods are full of corn and they cannot digest corn so it's just a filler. They get no nutrition from it.

Dogs are mostly carnivores and so a large part of their diet should be meat.. but they also like carrots, pumpkin, squash, sweet potatoes, eggs and small bits of apple, cheese, etc..
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:10 am

I think I have been very fortunate, all doggies I have ever owned could eat anything at all and never get sick (well except lighted candles :P ). I had one doggie that never had dog food. I just made my portion and then took out 1/4 of what I was eating and cut it up for her. Made it easy and also more affordable to have her. She never had a problem and didn't seem to turn her nose up to any of it.

Portia. I too had the noodle type of dumpling in Virginia. But also my family in La serves up the noodle type, but my mother always made what I consider traditional dumplings...the doughy drop kind. When they are made right, they are light pillows of loveliness.

I did make chicken and dumplings on Saturday. Very yummy and I froze the uneaten chicken part of the "stew". Then last night I made some hunters chicken from the bits of the rotisserie chicken that I didn't use in the stew.

I love a monte cristo sandwich too. I don't know where around here one could even go to get one, unless you make it at home.

Pizza. I like mine loaded up with everything but anchovies. And the more cheese the better.

Hope everyone had a delicious weekend!!

:D

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby portia » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:38 am

Mr. Portia, Jr. makes special dog food for their Corgi and Daxi. It is (IIRC) ground turkey, green beans and. . . can't recall.

I have always fed dog food, usually better than average quality, and never had problems, and they all lived to ripe old ages. My current dog gets Pedigree Adult, and whatever she can scrounge, out on the lake bed (I DO NOT want to know!! :Q :Q ). She has thrown up once or twice after eating grass. She licks our plates, after we scrape them a bit, and is highly offended if she is denied this right. She is 9 1/2. The vet said that we should keep doing whatever we are doing.

Dogs differ, I am sure, but I do not know how I would handle a picky eater.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:07 am

rwhen.. I loves Chicken & Dumplings. But what is hunter stew?

Our dog is NOT a picky eater. She'll eat almost anything. But what we were feeding her was making her unhealthy and so.. we had to do something. portia, I feed Pippin ground or minced meat, about 80% and the remaining 20% is veg/fruit/dairy/egg/ground flaxseed. Making the patties up ahead of time makes it convenient.

I wonder if dogs eat grass so they WILL throw up?? I mean.. when they have eaten something that makes their tummy hurt?
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:26 am

Rose, that is my understanding. If a doggie eats grass, not just a bite or two, but really goes after it...they need to toss.

Hunters Chicken. Is a recipe that I got out of my Vincent Price cookbook years and years ago. It is similar to chicken cacciotore. But has a heavy red wine stock as well. I love the stuff. I will probably have leftovers from that tonight.

We (Brother Jim and I) once had a dog named Doobie. This dog would eat anything crazily. Like he never ate in a day. We had him checked and Vet said there was nothing wrong. But I am talking that once I was passing over one of those nuked burritos that you get in plastic from a convenience store and the dog intercepted it and swallowed the thing about whole, wrapping and all. Once on my birthday, a group of friends did a surprise party for me....when they knew I had pulled up, they lit the candles and turned off the lights. When I came in...SURPRISE...the dog was on the table eating the cake, lit candles and all. That did not stay down.

:D

Hey portia!! I do know many folks who have to do something special for their doggies and mostly they are pure bred dogs. Some have sensitive stomachs, some have sensitive skin. I suppose when we love our pets we will do what we have to.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:47 am

Hunter chicken sounds amazing.. but whenever you mention your Vincent Price cookbook.. it makes me smile.. :D

On Doobie :shock:

Pippin is not a pure-bred.. she's a West Highland white terrier-Poodle mix from a puppy mill. She was very poorly bred and has a terrible under-bite and she has a lazy eye, but she's a good dog. Maybe some of her nutrition problems come from the poor breeding in that puppy mill and the poor mother dog who was probably worn out. :(
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:17 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:rwhen.. I loves Chicken & Dumplings. But what is hunter stew?

Our dog is NOT a picky eater. She'll eat almost anything. But what we were feeding her was making her unhealthy and so.. we had to do something. portia, I feed Pippin ground or minced meat, about 80% and the remaining 20% is veg/fruit/dairy/egg/ground flaxseed. Making the patties up ahead of time makes it convenient.

I wonder if dogs eat grass so they WILL throw up?? I mean.. when they have eaten something that makes their tummy hurt?

A market/butcher a few towns over from me sells "dog burgers" in their frozen section, they are basically very very cheap cuts of meat specifically for being given to dogs. Good idea I think.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:27 pm

We no longer have a butcher in our town.. :( but there is one a few towns over.. I'll have to give them a call!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Cock-Robin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:01 pm

I had a very strange dog. Whenever we had pancakes for breakfast, we had to make him one. The nutty pooch, when we gave it to him piece by piece, he never savored it. He just inhaled it.

I agree, Rwhen, I'd like anything on pizza except for anchovies. I simply hate those things.

You've got me thinking of hot dogs now. And I know a place (Steak'n'Shake) which now serves Chicago-style hot dogs with all the trimmings. Scrumptious!

Use the Force!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:31 pm

I got myself some Five Guys after driving school tonight, a burger and fries with cheese, mayo, mustard, grilled onions, mushrooms, and jalapenos. My favorite :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:10 pm

CR.. Chicago-style hot dogs! YUM!

Lewie.. I thought you were a vegetarian? I haven't tried a 5 guys, but they are the top rated burger (for a chain) in the nation. In & Out burger was tops for years, but 5 guys beat them out because they offer more toppings.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:57 am

Tonight we had Shrimp Fried Rice and Pork Teriyaki!! YUM!!!!

Rose you are right about the dog food thing. Most foods for animals use a lot of corn and other fillers that have no nutritional value for them. A lot of dogs are getting allergies to such things as many people are to foods with so many additives. Natural Balance is a grain free dog and cat food that uses things like sweet potatoes and rice instead of all the fillers. It is considered an Allergy Formula that seems to have much fewer problems. Also there are foods that also contain Glucosamine and Chrondointon as well as MSN for their joints. Large dogs such as shepherds and larger dogs seem to be prone to have joint problems but they can be controlled and even some of them stopped by including these in their food formulas specifically for these dogs.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:41 am

RoseMorninStar wrote:CR.. Chicago-style hot dogs! YUM!

Lewie.. I thought you were a vegetarian? I haven't tried a 5 guys, but they are the top rated burger (for a chain) in the nation. In & Out burger was tops for years, but 5 guys beat them out because they offer more toppings.

Um ya.............vegetarian thing didn't work out. all that well. I have however managed to reduce red meat to once a week though.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:47 am

That issue interests me. The red meat vs. other meat distinction.

To me, animal flesh is animal flesh and if I were inclined that way, I would avoid it all, including fish. Too much beef might cause issues related specifically to beef, but otherwise it is all the same to me.

I am a carnivore, though I have been trying, recently, to increase vegetables.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Wilko brought home some home-grown apples a wee while ago and as a result I've been doing some baking. I made apple cheesecake a few days' ago. It turned out all right, although the base was really thick. I'd have preferred it to be about half as thick and thus could have put more apples in the cake. Next time I make it I'll halve the biscuit base mixture and probably add a bit to the cheesecake mixture. It does taste nice, though. :)

I'll post a recipe over on the Cooking Guild when I get home. (And I think I'm due to post another recipe too.)

Dumplings as far as I'm concerned are like these which are cooked in the stew. At least, that's what British dumplings are like (unless you are talking about clootie dumplings, which is a Scottish dessert :D). I didn't realise there were so many different types of dumplings - it could certainly cause some confusion!
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby rwhen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:04 pm

Hey heliona!! :D Good to see you.

This is what I think of chicken and dumplings should sorta look like. But some places it looks more like this which is more like a pasta, than a drop dumpling. Either way they taste great...but I prefer the first type.

Apple cheesecake!! YUM.

:D Tonight I am picking up some mexican food and taking it home.

portia. I am most certainly a carnivore. All the way. And PIG is my first choice of meat to sink my teeth into.

We have a 5 guys here and Brother Jim says they are greasy. No????

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:39 pm

portia wrote:That issue interests me. The red meat vs. other meat distinction.

To me, animal flesh is animal flesh and if I were inclined that way, I would avoid it all, including fish. Too much beef might cause issues related specifically to beef, but otherwise it is all the same to me.

I am a carnivore, though I have been trying, recently, to increase vegetables.

It's more a health thing for me fwiw.

Maybe when I am out on my own I'll be able to go vegetarian, as I will be easily able to control the groceries.

I don't really eat pork either, just don't like it. And I'll be honest, I actually have a thing where I really like pigs and cows. I think they are adorable :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 pm

Rwhen and Heliona the fluffy ones you showed of the dumplings is like the ones I grew up calling Dumplings. They are dropped dollops of dough dropped into a boiling pot of chicken noodle type soup or something of that sort. My mom always swore she made lousy dumplings but I know nothing else and I love them!!!! :P YUMMY!!!

I am not big on Beef or pork. I love to eat chicken or fish or shrimp or crab meat. I am not big on red meats and never have been. I also prefer white meat when it comes to chicken or turkey. I just don't like the fatty taste of dark meat.

Tonight we had Shrimp and Pesto Ravioli's!! Oh man were they good!!! Got them frozen at Costco. I am so glad that we have enough for three meals.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Next

Return to The Library - General Archive