The 4th Course, The Foodies Thread

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby JudyA » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:24 pm

So Frelga, this might sound like a stupid question but are your folks (or just your mum) Russian??? Or do they just like east European food?
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:16 am

Last night I enjoyed the last of my previous batch of frozen chili, which means now I have to plan out a couple of big time cookings to replenish the frozen food supply. Perhaps some barley soup, or veggie soup, or something. I like to keep a healthy supply of pre-made, frozen soups, stews, braises, etc., in the kitchen just so I don't have an excuse for "whatever shall I make for supper? I guess I'll have to go out and spend lots of money!" Money isn't good enough for that kind of thinking.

Maybe this is the time to break out the vegitarian cookbook again and give another recipe a try. But then again, I have a nice looking recipe for "Hulled Barley Soup" which is made with some nice sounding ground turkey and lots of veggies. Maybe I'll do both. Who knows. Maybe Pork Shanks with White Beans and Bitter Greens.

Anywhat, tonight is my mother's birthday, so we are planning on going out to celebrate at our favorite place, the Black River Barn. Their fall specials have just come out, and darned if we aren't excited! Mushroom soup, Saurbraten, Beef Rouladen, Garlic Pizza . . . *bzzzzt!!!* . . . sorry, keyboard shorted out there for a second what with the drool.

Tomorrow, it's back to real time cooking! We're sure to perpetrate some food this week!
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:17 am

Frelga, I seem to recall some Russian places in the City...but for the life of me I can't remember where. There was the BEST authentic Deli just the other side of Golden Gate Park..on the main road that goes through it....I would love to go there again some day and China town for dim sum too. Some day :D

hamlet, your plan sounds great. I too keep stock, soups, sauces in the freezer just for that reason and every now and again, a big cooking weekend is in store to replace it. Enjoy the mother's supper out tonight.

I am with JudyA...Snapper!! YUM.

Rose I could about cry to read that the cracklin' was tossed!! :( Any thing special for supper last night?

Vanadarlin', I too love chocolate covered peanuts. YUMMY. YAY for wraps. :D

Morwenna, you finally got something other than soup!! Beef stir fry with veg. Excellent.

Last night I made a platter of nacho's to use up the guacamole and pico. Very tasty....I have three chicken legs in the fridge...not sure what that will be for tonight yet.

Bon Appitit!!

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:12 pm

My store manager got me eating sunflower seeds again too!! :roll: Like I need the sodium or anything. But I used to eat them all the time so some is not a real bad thing. I just have to keep it in perspective!!! ;)
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:13 pm

I made some lime & tortilla crusted tillapia tonight along with wedge baked potatoes. It was tasty.

San Francisco does indeed have a world-wide offering of restaurants.

Hamlet.. I wish we had a Black River Barn restaurant. Sounds wonderful. :)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:50 pm

Judy, not a stupid question at all! My family hails from Ukraine. Hence borshch, which is a Ukrainian, not Russian, dish.

rwhen, I think I know which one you mean, it is indeed one of my favorites.

hamlet, how do you freeze soup? I keep meaning to try that, but instead I just keep adding broth and veggies and keep the soup going for a week.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:11 pm

I freeze soup all of the time. I save my large containers from yogurt or cottage cheese, etc.. I put soup in them (leaving space for expansion) mark the lid for contents & date & freeze.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:01 am

rwhen: Pico? So what's that?

Frelga: Well hey, I have Ukrainian blood, too :) Quite a way back - I thought our forebear was Russian until not so long ago when someone in the family discovered he and his brother moved from the Ukraine to Russia, and changed their surnames so they wouldn't be discriminated against in their jobs!! (my forebear was in the diplomatic service and his brother was a priest). Stories aplenty there ;)

Back on the food front, Mr JudyA made sushi for dinner tonight, and because the Little Fairy is away we got to have mayonnaise in all of them, plus egg (neither of which she likes!) Yum... :D
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:02 am

Frelga wrote:hamlet, how do you freeze soup? I keep meaning to try that, but instead I just keep adding broth and veggies and keep the soup going for a week.

Rose said it, basically.

A good sized container (I put it in smaller, portion sized containers so I can grab a meal sized hunk at a time rather than defrosting way more than I want) and leave a bit of space in there for expansion when it freezes. Best tip I can offer is to let the soup cool down for a good while before attempting to freeze. Shoving HOT food into the freezer nets you luke warm soup and soft ice cream.

The Barn, by the by, is not a chain. It's an honest to goodness standalone restaurant, though the owner does have a tappas bar in the area as well, which is not to my tastes (VERY expensive, highly effete, and crowded as all get out with the yuppie crowd). If yer ever in northern Jersey, I'd recommend it. Last night, they put out their Autumn specials, which is a lot of Octoberfest stuff. I had a VERY nice Chicken Shnitzel which was just to die for. Served with sauteed spinach and some nice red cabbage. The old pappy had Beef Rouladen (braised beef that's been wrapped around a nice pickle mixture and with a nice thick tomato and beer sauce). Mother, for her birthday meal, had a Grilled Chicken and Waldorf salad with a nice spicy buttermilk dressing. It was to die for. Of course, the scale this morning informs me that I can no longer eat like that. So penance must be paid.

This morning, a custard, and apple, and some grapes. Supper will probably be some more fruit, or if I have it, some frozen chicken fingers or something.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:10 am

JudyA, pico de gallo is a Mexican type of fresh salsa, but basic. Dice very finely tomato, onion, pepper, cilantro, garlic - fresh lime juice. Dump it all together and I let mine sit in the fridge for a bit for the juices to meld together of all the veggies...then it is served like you would use salsa, but this is also great on meats, eggs, baked potato...it is like a Mexican relish to my way of thinking. :D SUSHI yum!!

hamlet, I would love to visit that restaurant but also the Tapas bar too. Glad your mother had a great birthday supper out.

Frelga, I third what Rose said about freezing soup and I second what hamlet said. If you are going to freeze the soup, let it cool to room temperature first. I cover mine over night some times and then portion it out into individual servings for the freezer. I think it also depends on how much you make at a time. Even just for me, I tend to make a very large batch of soup or beans or stews or pasta sauce....so that I have the large amount of left overs to freeze for times after work when I don't want to cook or am out of other ingredients to make one of those meals.

With a growing young man and a grown hubby, it is possible you just don't have enough to make it worthwhile to freeze. :D

Vanadarlin', I used to eat sunflower seeds til they were coming out of my ears. :D I can't have them these days, but I remember loving them. :D

Rose, I LOVE the idea of lime crusted tilapia, I bet it was gorgeous.

Last night I had three chicken legs on the bone and I did something I rarely do. I made the real deal fried chicken supper out of them. Usually I only have boneless skinless pieces and while it is very good as fried chicken, it isn't the same as having it on the bone to my way of thinking. I ate all three pieces with a bit of mashed tater and saute of tomatoes and mushrooms.

I am determined to clean out my freezer tonight, it is jam packed. So something from a previous meal will be made and I am getting rid of anything that looks to be too old in there.

Bon Appitit!!
Last edited by rwhen on Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:37 am

We also freeze soup all the time. Sometimes hubby freezes stock if we have more than we need for a project, and thaws it to make the soup later. Pasta sauce (red) regularly gets frozen.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:54 am

Mmmm..sunflower seeds. Messy, but good. I rembember back when I depended on the library to get on the computer. The only open one was a mess. Some slob disregarded the rule that no food or drink was allowed in there, and there were a ton of sunflower seed shells on the floor.

The other day I went out to a local Mexican restaurant and had a chimichanga. It was delicious!

Squirrel Lovers Club!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby rwhen » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:28 am

Morwenna, I always have some pasta sauce in the freezer. When I make a vat, I made it HUGE just for that purpose. Mine usually cooks for about half a day and it is a ton of work for me to do for one person, so having tubs in the freezer is really a time saver and it can be used for so many different things. :D

CR. I too love a great chimichanga!! The brother used to make chilichanga's at the restaurant that you would have loved. :D

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:02 pm

Tonight my love wants to take me out to dinner at the Olive Garden. They are stopping their never ending pasta bowls and he wants to have them again. I am not sure what I will have tonight but I imagine it will be great!!!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:19 pm

Ooooooh I really like the Olive Garden. Have a great time out with your sweetie. :D :hug:

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:23 pm

I really like Olive garden.. especially for lunch. I wish we had one nearby.. the closest is Milwaukee.. about a 35 minute drive, but it's not in the best area so I don't go down there at night.. only for lunch, but I usually have no one to go with at lunchtime.. so I don't go often. :(

Enjoy Vana!

I think I'm going to try to make chicken picata tonight.

rwhen.. I don't know if it is my restaurant background or just a family thing.. but we always make waaaaaaaaaaay too much food.. vats is a good word. :P But I don't mind freezing for a quick meal later. :)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:07 pm

Olive Garden...............eh. Not really worth it in this area. There are half a dozen (that I know of) great family owned restaurants in my town alone, and about 10-15 between here and the nearest Olive Garden.

The benefit of an area with a lot of second generation Italians :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Oh.. certainly nothing beats a great Italian restaurant! My favorite Italian restaurant is in New York City.. :P I don't get there often! And there are not lots of Italians in this area. But I do like the soup, salad, breadsticks for lunch. :)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Gollum Girl » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:30 pm

Beautiful, wonderful tacos tonight, and my goodness are they filling. I ate it at 3:00 and its 9:29 now, and I'm still full as heck. Though that cake in the fridge is lookin' pretty good. :whistle:

Ooh yes, Italian is soo delicious. :love: I wish i could eat it more often, but take-out always seems so fating to me.
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby JudyA » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:04 pm

I'm definitely a freezer of pasta sauce and stock. I make a big pot of pasta sauce, like rwhen, and then I've got it on hand for a quick dinner after work/school or if someone's got to head out early. And with the stock, well you have it until you want it for risotto, soup, casserole, gravy... whatever...

btw rwhen your pico sounds really yummy :thumbsup:

Tonight will be fairly simple: chicken and veg stir fry with toasted cashews and rice noodles. I often make it with a honey soy sauce, but tonight I think I'll do it with soy, a splash of sherry, cornflour and a little sugar. Coats everything beautifully... :)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:08 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:Oh.. certainly nothing beats a great Italian restaurant! My favorite Italian restaurant is in New York City.. :P I don't get there often! And there are not lots of Italians in this area. But I do like the soup, salad, breadsticks for lunch. :)

Never had that for lunch, sounds good though. :D

Some of the people I went to college with went to Italy as part of a history department trip. They spent one day free afternoon in Rome,

All but 2 kids out of about 10 went to McDonald's. :roll: They wanted to see what it was like in another country!

YOUR IN FREAKIN ROME!!!!!
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:21 pm

In their defense, fast food places tend to be better outside the US. That's according to a guy I knew who had KFC franchises in Eastern Europe. He said they use real meat and things. Because quite frankly even in the former Soviet block, not spoiled by highfalutin' gourmet fare, you couldn't sell the kind of glue-and-cardboard that fast food places seem to serve here.

About the only thing I manage to freeze is turkey burgers/meatballs or sometimes meatloaf, because it is easy to whip up a double batch. For most other stuff, doubling a recipe that is meant to feed three people is significantly more work. My present system is to cook quick yet tasty recipes and reuse leftovers creatively.

Hubby picked up salmon with sushi rice for dinner today. I'm still hobbling, and I am hoping if I stay off my feet long enough I will heal.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Cock-Robin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:09 pm

Olive Garden is OK, but I've been to better Italian restaurants. It's ok for a lunch or a diversion, but I discovered Johnny Carino's, another chain, which beats Olive Garden silly. It's a little more expensive, but worth every penny.

Squirrel Lovers Club!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:13 am

CR we have both here as well and I prefer Johnny Carino's to OG any day!!! But with the all you can eat pasta bowl Ryan wanted that tonight. It is leaving in about a week so he was feeling like he really wanted that. It was good but I honestly would have been happy with just about anything. They were kind of stingy with the bread sticks. But I did enjoy the salad!!!

Not sure what we will have for dinner tonight but it will probably be homemade. Oh I just thought, I have everything for a nice Shrimp Fried Rice dinner tonight. Me thinks I am getting a seafood thing going tonight. :P
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:12 am

I'm craving me some pizza.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:22 am

Hey FOODIES.

Lewie, I agree any authentic Italian restaurant is better than Olive Garden, but for a chain I find them to have some good dishes. I am addicted to their Zuppa Tuscana - one bit and I can't stop eating it. We have a local place that is downtown called Little Italy and it is authentic and blows the shorts off OG. But it is also twice as expensive. OG is not cheap either, but it is close and for the two times a year that I go there to meet with Imi, it is great. Usually I prefer to cook my own Italian food, easy, mostly inexpensive and delish. Did you get your pizza?

Vanadarlin', glad you enjoyed OG and also hope the shrimp fried rice came out perfectly.

JudyA, if you like a Mexican condiment, try the pico it is very tasty. Hope your supper came out well for the chicken and veg stir fry with cashews (my favorite nut).

Frelga, hate to say it, but if I were in Italy Micky D's is the last place I would go to eat. ROME???? Even if fast food is one billion times better over seas, if I am in ROME I am going to partake of the gorgeous food offerings that Italy has to tempt me with. :D And I do understand there are all ways to cook and store that work for individuals, not every way is perfect for another. You do what is best for you, right? :hug:

Golum Girl, love tacos, had them recently myself.

Rose, probably the restaurant background, but my family always could chow down with 5 people to cook for growing up, so I learned to make huge proportions and I have adjusted to just cooking for one now with exception to things I want to have on hand for times when I am too tire to cook or need something fast or to help with a dish like stock or sauce. :D What did you have last night?

Last night I found a container of the beef shanks in the marinara while cleaning out the freezer...so I had that with some pasta and broiled mushrooms. YUM I forgot how lovely that was. I have out a pork chop for tonight and I am thinking Hawaiian Pork. :D

Bon Appitit!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:48 am

No pizza yet. Tonight? Wishful thinking.

My biggest beef with OG and the like (Applebees) is that they really aren't cheap! They can often be just as expensive as anywhere else.

I guess just another thing that makes me the opposite of my B-I-L. He only will eat at chains.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:49 am

Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:All but 2 kids out of about 10 went to McDonald's. :roll: They wanted to see what it was like in another country!

That's about the way I said it to hubby when we were in England! :D

We have an OG next town over, and we've been there once in a while. But New Haven has (or had) a huge Italian population, and there are plenty of independent restaurants (not counting the plethora of pizzerias). But hubby isn't that big on Italian food (except for a few things) so we rarely investigate any, because the best ones are pricier, and the soso ones are about like OG. Then again he figures most of the stuff we can make at home. He's probably right, but with that concept in mind I want to know when either of us is going to try making Chicken Marsala!! :P

Once upon a time, though, we did have a small local chain here called Seafood Peddler, which had mostly seafood with an Italian slant. We ate there a LOT!! :D Hubby could get his usual fried clams, or something with meat (they made a good veal parmesan, among other things), and I would run rampant through the menu looking for exotic recipes for fish or shellfish! I remember once when crab legs were in season, and I was just in the mood. Hubby used to always tease me about not wanting to pick up messy things in my fingers. Well, that day I tied on the bib and announced to him with a Cheshire-cat grin, "This is NOT going to be pretty!" :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:54 am

Morwenna wrote:
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:All but 2 kids out of about 10 went to McDonald's. :roll: They wanted to see what it was like in another country!

That's about the way I said it to hubby when we were in England! :D

We have an OG next town over, and we've been there once in a while. But New Haven has (or had) a huge Italian population, and there are plenty of independent restaurants (not counting the plethora of pizzerias). But hubby isn't that big on Italian food (except for a few things) so we rarely investigate any, because the best ones are pricier, and the soso ones are about like OG. Then again he figures most of the stuff we can make at home. He's probably right, but with that concept in mind I want to know when either of us is going to try making Chicken Marsala!! :P

Once upon a time, though, we did have a small local chain here called Seafood Peddler, which had mostly seafood with an Italian slant. We ate there a LOT!! :D Hubby could get his usual fried clams, or something with meat (they made a good veal parmesan, among other things), and I would run rampant through the menu looking for exotic recipes for fish or shellfish! I remember once when crab legs were in season, and I was just in the mood. Hubby used to always tease me about not wanting to pick up messy things in my fingers. Well, that day I tied on the bib and announced to him with a Cheshire-cat grin, "This is NOT going to be pretty!" :D

Well that's England it's different............ We've all heard the stories about English food :D :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:07 am

Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote: Well that's England it's different............ We've all heard the stories about English food :D :D

Now come on; I enjoyed the food over there!! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive