The 4th Course, The Foodies Thread

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby heliona » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:14 am

Frelga wrote:Heliona, I very rarely bother to defrost salmon before cooking it. Assuming it doesn't need cleaning and cutting of course, and even then I defrost in microwave. Although couscous salad sounds yummy, too.

I was thinking about defrosting it in the microwave, but it's a packet of two fillets and I only needed one. :D Also, I had to defrost the minced meat for the chilli con carne. The couscous needed eating too, so it was a win-win. :) I'll just leave the salmon for another day when it can be a dinner for the two of us. :)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby JudyA » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:03 pm

rwhen wrote:
Thanks JudyA for clearing that up. In Holland they call bell peppers paprika's. Different all over the world I guess. :D Hope you enjoyed the Japanese supper!

It's hard to keep up, isn't it? There are a ridiculous number of differences between American cookbook recipes and British cookbook recipes and the cookbooks here. We all have different words for different fruits and veg, and different temperature gauges and different ways of explaining the amounts we want...

For example, in a British cookbook it might say, "turn the oven on to gas Mark 4", to which my response is :shock: :roll: ... then look it up on Google to find out what that means in degrees. Or you guys talk about "sticks" of butter, to which my response is :shock: :roll: ....then look it up on Google to find out how many grams/ounces that is. But if it's a good recipe, it's worth persevering :)

btw rwhen, what is Popeye's chicken?? Does it have lots of spinach in or something?

Oh, and dinner tonight will just be me and Poppet - Mr JudyA and the Little Fairy are off on a school dads and kids camp. :)

So tonight I'll cook frittata, which is something that the Little Fairy doesn't like (not too keen on egg dishes). Onion softened in a little butter, thinly sliced potato cooked for a little then add chopped rosemary and beaten eggs and cook slowly with the lid on for about 20 mins. Take the lid off, sprinkle some grated cheese and whack it under the griller until the cheese bubbles. Mmmmm...
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Tonight: stir fry with turkey and a zillion vegetables, fresh and canned, over saffron rice. :love: Guess what I'm taking tomorrow for lunch?
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:29 am

JudyA - Popeyes is a chain restaurant and their chicken is Louisiana style or cajun style if you will. There isn't one in the town I live in but the boss/brother goes by one over in Portland from time to time and if he thinks of it he will pick me up some. For restaurant made it is really very good..but to me their sides???? YUCK. ;) Hope the frittata came out grand. And don't I know about trying to translate recipes.....my friend in London sends me recipes and I have to do the measures off the internet. But I get them done.

Morwenna how was the turkey stir fry? Good enough for lunch today??? :D

Last night I cooked off the steak with mushrooms and broiled grape tomatoes. No taters!!!

Tonight it is going to be something from the freezer...probably navy bean soup. No cooking for me tonight.

Bon Appitit!!
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:42 am

Hi m'Lady and all foodies :)

Here is a lovely simple recipe from Nigel Slater (food writer for the Guardian) Very nice for a first course if you are serving a posh meal or just with a salad

Devilled Crab

Soften a little finely chopped onion in butter, then remove from the heat and stir in 300g of brown and white crabmeat, 4 heaped tbsp of fresh breadcrumbs, 1 tsp of Worcester sauce, a few shakes of Tabasco, 1 tbsp of grain mustard, a little salt and pepper and approximately 150ml of double cream. Pile into a shallow dish, then top with 4 tbsp of grated parmesan, a little more cream and a couple of tbsp of breadcrumbs. Bake for about 15 minutes. Serves 4 with fingers of toast.

And YAAAYYYYY it wasn't the logic board. The Mac lives to post another day!.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:19 am

Ayslhyn it is great to see you sir!!!! How is Patsy doing?? ;) That recipe looks devilishly good!!! :P Thank you!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ayslhyn » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:27 am

Greetings Lady Vana. Nice to see you and a special hello from my trusted servant Patsy.

Glad you like the look of the recipe. Patsy says it works better with toads than crab but I am in disagreement with him there! :)(they keep hopping out of the dish for one thing)
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:56 am

Yes I would imagine they are harder to get placed in the recipe!!! ;)
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:02 am

Yesterday hubby and I went to an SCA event for the day only (not for the feast) and instead of eating the day-board food (which was a bit of a hike from the activity area) we ate the food at the vigil tea for our comrade who was getting knighted. We didn't need the day-board food after all that! There must have been several people making that food, and most of it, if not the organization of the effort, had to be done by our friend across the street, who has become a part-time caterer in addition to his day job. He and hubby swap ideas all the time. :D

Anyway, there were tiny meatballs, pierogi (at least 3 varieties), spanakopita, blini with 3 or 4 different fillings, kielbasa, cheese, crackers, fruit, bread, butter, cucumber sandwiches, baklava, cannoli, cookies, a less-sweet kind of root beer on tap... whew...

The group holding the event also had a member who was getting a Laurel (the arts & sciences equivalent of a knighthood) and they had a similar spread for her vigil. With all that food in the activity area, it's a wonder anyone made it up to the hall for the day-board! Certainly the two groups together had enough food to feed everyone!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:33 pm

Morwenna I am fascinated. What is the SCA, and do tell what your friends was getting his/her laurel for?? btw the food sounds marvellous...

Tonight I'll be cooking poached chicken on rice with white sauce (made with stock) and baby peas. A big fave in the JudyA household - and what's even better is that, in addition to dinner and leftovers, you get more than two litres of excellent stock to cook other meals with. :) Yum...
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:00 pm

I am not Morwenna but we are members of the SCA as well. It stands for "Society for Creative Anachronism". It is a large group of folks who do the medieval enactment as best as we can since the Middle Ages did not happen on this continent but we enjoy living in pavillions, wearing long medieval garments (as accurate as we can make them), fight either in Archery, Heavy Combat (broad swords, axes etc.), rapier (like fencing) or do arts and crafts in making things after doing the research to make them as period accurate as we can. There are groups all across the United States and Canada. The country is divided into Kingdoms and then each Kingdom is broken down into Baronies and Shires. There are different events most of the year that one can participate in. One day events, weekend events or Pennsic where they are gathered for about 2 weeks I believe. Groups from all over will participate in Pennsic or other wars like on the West Coast we have our An Tir/ West War in early July. It is a war between the Pacific Northwest area and the California area I believe ( Two of the Kingdoms). We belong to An Tir in the Pacific Northwest. Our Shire is Midhaven but we are working on becoming a Barony, it takes enough active members and events planned and put on by our group to qualify and maintain the title of barony. Of course then we will need a Baron and Baroness to over see events in our area.

It is just playing at being in the Middle Ages in England the surrounding areas per say, we speak in the Old English and have Lords and Ladies, Queens, Kings, Barons, Baronesses and Prince and Princesses. Each officer is voted in by his or her peers. The King is decided in battle (Heavy Combat) the queen is the woman he went to war for. The battle for King is twice a year. Chivalry is something we live up to and everyone is of Noble origin and you come up with your own persona. The years you can have your persona in are up to the 1600s (1650's for Rapier) from about the 700s I think.

I hope that helps you some. I can even get you a link to some of our Kingdom sites showing events that we have had and the people who were there in garb. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby JudyA » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:17 am

Wow, Vana, my first thought was :shock: ... followed by :Q :Q

It sounds like fun but maaaan, how do you find the time?!?!?

On the food front, I made a spiced apple tart for dessert tonight - one of my faves from childhood. Mr JudyA was quite amused at how I kept on going, Oh, yuuuuum as I ate my own creation :D
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:55 am

Tonight, in an attempt to pretend I'm still of the Magyar blood, I'm going to attempt to make a batch of Parprikas. And, in a move that'll probably cause my great grandma to spin in her grave, I"m going to add some carrot and some mushroom to "round it out" so to speak.

I'm pretty sure she'd deck me if she knew.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:35 pm

:D

Tonight we had fried salmon fillets on a bed of wilted spinach and pine nuts, topped with mushrooms in crème fraîche with minted baby potatoes. It was rather nice. :)

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby JudyA » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Sounds lovely. And not really heavy, either.

I'm going to use up most of my beautiful fresh stock by making risotto for dinner - eschalots and garlic softened in butter, add arborio and a cup of wine, followed by cupfuls of stock until the rice is cooked. And somewhere in the middle there I'll add leftover chicken, zucchini, capsicum and celery, then sprinkle parmesan on top :)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:58 am

Ayslhyn my dear, I will try your clam dish, let me know how it came out on your Sunday supper. :D

hamlet, I don't know what that is, but how did it go and did your grandmother rise up to smote you after all? ;)

heliona, your supper sounds totally lovely. Yummy.

JudyA, I adore a great risotto. If done with care, it is just perfect. Hope it was lovely for you.

:D

Last night I didn't do very well. I grilled two hot dogs, then added them to some chili I had in the freezer with some chips. Tonight I have to eat very sensible to be sure. I have a chicken breast in the fridge, probably grilled with some veggies. ;)

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby hamlet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:20 am

rwhen wrote:hamlet, I don't know what that is, but how did it go and did your grandmother rise up to smote you after all? ;)
Bon Appitit!!

Chichen Parpikas (that last syllable sounds like "sh") is an Hungarian dish. Essentially, braised chicken with lots of good Hungarian Paprika and Hungarian peppers. Nothing fancy, but very statisfying. You can find recipes of varying quality all over the intertubes.

I comment on how my great-grandma would roll in her grave because, as a woman of extremely strong opinions as to the method of cooking, she was extremely insistant that such ingredients as mushrooms, carrot, and - of all the heretical ideas - tomato would never EVER be found in "real" Paprikas let alone hers. In her mind, and the minds of many purists, Paprikas is nothing more than Hungarian wax peppers, chicken parts (thighs are best), onions, garlic, salt, pepper, chicken broth, and at least a full heaping tablespoon of Paprika, probably double that. And sour cream. Anything else was blatant heresy of the most pernicious sort.

And don't EVER tell her that she added too much salt to the chicken soup. That'd get you a wooden spoon to the back of the hand. Literally.

Ah, but she made the most exquisit gibblet stuffing at Thanksgiving, which was physically fought over every year.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:39 am

Wow, Hamlet, sounds yummy! :)

Vana, thank you for explaining the SCA! You're on the forum much more often than I am, and you seem to have more patience for explanations! Maybe you should write up the next booklet for newcomers? :D

As for us, it's Fair Season. The Durham Fair, the largest one in Connecticut, is less than 2 weeks away, and by tomorrow we have to register the baking entries we plan to bring. I've already bought the apples for the pie and now I'm in a search for my mother's banana bread recipe. Hubby hasn't even made up his mind yet; his problem is too many possibilities. He can only enter two items, since he's only interested in two categories. He has till tomorrow evening to decide!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Let us know how you go, Morwenna! I've never entered a baking competition myself. The only one hereabouts is the Royal Easter Show - and that's Sydney-wide. I'm a good cook but I quail at the thought of competing against (potentially) millions of people... :shock:

rwhen: It was fab, thanks for asking. Went down a treat. :)

Tonight I'm making butter chicken - but not from scratch. There's a very good, and fresh, bottled sauce I buy which is happily low in the kind of preservatives that disagree with me. Although when I cook it I theoretically commit a cultural faux pas akin to yours, hamlet... you're just supposed to cook chicken and mix through the sauce, and that's always how it's presented at Indian restaurants.
I use a fraction of the chicken and shove in masses of fresh veggies - partly because Mr JudyA doesn't eat meat but also because it then becomes a complete meal. Just have a bit of rice and some pappadums on the side and you're laughing :D
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:03 pm

Tonight we had chicken veggie wraps again. Oh so good!!! A flour tortilla heated up and topped with leafy lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, grilled chicken chunks and topped with some grated cheese. Ryan likes to add sauces but I prefer to taste my veggies for how good they truly are!!! :P
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:47 pm

Some days back hubby made a Chinese-style stir fry with turkey, and I had the last of it for lunch today. So tonight he made just about the same thing, only with beef. We ate about half of it so far.

A couple days ago we got a loaf of already-prepared garlic bread, then put cheese and pepperoni on it and broiled it till the cheese melted. We ate about two thirds of it and the rest is in the fridge for another go.

Tomorrow starts the annual festival at the little Greek church near work, so either tomorrow or Friday some of us are going over there to get some of the goodies. They always have spanakopita, among other lunch things, and about half a dozen different yummy desserts. I usually bring some home for hubby too.

So this week we are not going to go hungry! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:38 am

So, Mr JudyA was due to cook tonight - sushi. He wasn't in the mood (!) so we had pizza for dinner. :P Pretty tasty though... and we kidded ourselves it wasn't too unhealthy by having it with salad :D
JudyA
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:06 am

Oh I haven't had a pizza in forever now. Maybe it is time.

All the food sound lovely.

hamlet...indeed I have heard of chicken paprika(sh)...just didn't get the spelling that way. :D

Last night I had what I call Mexican pork chops....I tenderize a thick cut of pork chop with the bone in. Then gentle saute it with cut up grape tomatoes, onion, bell pepper and one jalapeno pepper. I had a splash of tequila at the end until it cooks off and serve it over seasoned rice. Very lovely, not too hot, just spicy.

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:13 am

Rwhen, that pork chop sounds yummy indeed! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:40 am

It sure does sound good!!! :P

Today I think we are going out for Mexican food with the family!!! I am ready for it!!!! :P
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Morwenna » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:36 am

Heliona, I totally forgot to gush over that salmon dinner of yours!! :love:

Yesterday I brought home such a lovely combination of Greek food from the festival. Today I'm eating beef stir fry.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:10 am

Morwenna, I haven't had Greek in forever and I would LOVE some great Greek food for a change. :D

Vanadarlin', I am also going for Mexican tonight. I bought some flour tortillas and I have some tequila left over....and some chicken. So I think tequila chicken enchillada are going to be on the menu tonight and I can freeze the left overs. :D

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Frelga » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:54 am

Tequila chicken sounds great. :)

I had roasted turkey breast leftover (I buy kosher, which is prebrined and thus juicy). Also leftover tiny pasta hubby sautéed with tomatoes, kale and stuff. Last night, I bulked it up with spaghetti squash, cut up the turkey and called it a stir fry.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby heliona » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:44 pm

Tonight we had onions, spring onions, garlic and leeks stir-fried with pre-boiled baby potatoes and pre-grilled bacon. It was delicious. :) Wilko had some of the chicken broth I made last night for a starter. :) Yumm. :D

heliona

Postby Morwenna » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Tonight it's poultry soup; hubby made the stock yesterday. You name it, it's in there. :) Actually, there's turkey, potatoes, carrots, turnip, parsnip, onion, celery, various beans, mushrooms, collard greens, a can of mixed veggies just because, and sage, thyme, and black pepper. He figured he'd leave out the grains this time. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive