The 4th Course, The Foodies Thread

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby heliona » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Morwenna wrote:He figured he'd leave out the grains this time. :)

:doh: I forgot the pearl barley! *wail* It's the only thing it gets used for and I forgot it. *sigh* Oh well. Perhaps we'd better have a roast this weekend so I can make broth again - this time with pearl barley! :D
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby JudyA » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:37 pm

I love doing casseroles and soups with barley - very yummy :)

Morwenna, that soups sounds awesome...

Tonight we're having a special dinner as a kind of celebration for our girls doing so well in the national tests they took part in earlier this year. In Australia you have to do these tests in years 3, 5, 7 and 9 so it was the first time for the Little Fairy and the third time for Poppet. And they both did brilliantly well so I want to celebrate it :)

Therefore: pre-dinner munchies, individual chicken pies (okay, it's bought pastry but that's not my strong point) and chocolate mousse. Made the mousse a few hours ago and it's pretty spectacular. Although the recipe says it feeds four people, and I swear if we tried to eat a quarter of this each we would be SO sick it's not funny. :roll: So I've divided the mixture into eight smaller ramekins and we'll have it with some strawberries - much safer ;)
Oh - and special drinks all round - apple cider for the girls and (probably) wine for me and Mr JudyA, although I really haven't thought about it yet...

(The Little Fairy wanted to see the emoticon where you were rolling on the floor laughing, so just for her i will do this: :roflmbo: )

:hihi: Little Fairy!
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:23 pm

Had "fall" food tonight. Roast chicken, baked Acorn squash, corn, potato.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:19 am

Yum! Swott, that's the kind of food I like to eat all year :D

That chocolate mousse last night was awesome... but I'm really glad I put it in eight dishes instead of four. Not only do we get to eat it twice, :) but we don't OD on choco-stuff.

Barbecue lunch today - lamb and rosemary sausages... mmmm :)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:21 am

Mmmm, barbecued lamb! :)

We had lamb last night, too, at the "fancy" Chinese place nearby. They make it with curry and spices, and it's lovely - the sauce is yummy but you can still taste that it's lamb you are eating.

Made pancakes from cottage cheese this morning. Hubby thought the cheese was suspect and although it seemed fine to me, I didn't want to use it raw. They turned out nice and tasty, and I put evaporated milk over them for decadence. :D
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby portia » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:49 am

A one-egg cheese omelet and a can of V8, for me for breakfast.

I really posted to say how much I like Frelga's Sig pic!
portia
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:48 am

Sunday roast this evening: roast lamb with roasted potatoes, carrots and parsnips. Yum! I'm really getting the hang of this roasting malarky. :D
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby JudyA » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:20 am

*feels like having dinner at Heliona's place ;) *

Hey Portia... I think Frelga's sig is really cool too :D

Dinner tonight will be Spanish chicken - a kind of paella, but without the crust on the bottom (I'm too fond of my pans!). And maybe the other half of the chocolate mousse.... :whistle:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:50 am

You just need to buy a paella pan, then! We can get them for something on the order of $20 in the supermarket round these parts, so I don't feel bad when I really make the rice correctly. Course, it's been about 2 years since I've made any such thing . . .

This weekend, we enjoyed a really nice Dim Sum meal as a family. Ate entirely too much of it, but really enjoyed it.

Tonight, I'm making sauteed escarole with white beans and going to top it with a poached egg or two.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:32 am

Howdy all you Foodies!! What lovely dishes you have all been making. :D

JudyA, I too don't like to do the paella the right way of crisping to burning the bottom layer. I don't need that and while I do have a paella pan, I use it for other things as well...so don't want to ruin that. *steals some chocolate mousse since there was extra*

WOW everyone is in the fall roasting modes. :D

heliona, you probably had a handle on it before, but now you are cooking all the time. :D

hamlet, I have GOT to get out and get some dim sum soon. There is no place that I am away of close to me.

Howdy portia, I too love Frelga's siggie pic. V8? *twitch* :P :D

Frelga, your siggie is a hit around the Foodies house!! I would imagine elsewhere. Pancakes made with cottage cheese? I have heard of it, but never tried it. :D Glad they were yummy.

Lewie!!! Good to see you back on thread and baked acorn squash!!! One of my favorite things.

Had a food filled weekend. Hard to remember it...but I did make another pot of brown beans with ham hocks and I have 6 servings in the freezer now. Made a mushroom, brie burger last night with some bacon that I had left over. Also made a potato and ham casserole on Friday night that I have left overs from. All turned out great.

I think I am going Italian today and say....

Bon Appitito!!
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:38 am

Let's see... Saturday night we got subs on the way home from the fairground. Sunday: omelets with onion, peppers, potatoes, mushrooms, cheese, & pepperoni. Sunday evening: pizza at the D&D game. Today's lunch: the last of the leftover beef stir fry. Tonight we're planning to have leftover turkey soup, and I'll probably take bits of that for lunches the next couple days.

We stopped at a farm stand Saturday and picked up some eggplant. Hubby has several recipes (well, so do I, if it comes to that), but we've never cooked eggplant before despite the fact that we both like it very much, and it's so versatile! Well, seeing so many good-looking ones at the farm stand got our enthusiasm up. Now we're looking at baba gannouj and moussaka and deep-fried slices and so on... after the fair... :)

Tonight before the SCA meeting we're supposed to attend, we need to check our ingredients for the baking entries, and if there's anything we need we can get it while we're out. Tomorrow night is my ONE chance to bake my entries!! :shock: Hubby has tomorrow and Wednesday daytime. Watch him wait till the last minute; I'll crown him... :x (Of course, that's what I did last year: brought my pie to the fairground still warm... :oops: )
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:00 am

Last night was left overs...beans and rice with some braised sprouts on the side and a cheese danish. :D

Bon Appitito!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby hamlet » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:21 am

Escarole and White Beans is a good thing. Very tasty. Will definately have to make that again!

Tonight, leftover Caldo Verde soup . . . so . . . essentially the same thing two nights in a row, but with some added sausage this time!
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:14 am

Last night we had the soup and probably will tonight (it's fast; I have to bake around that!), and I'll have some for lunches the next few days. Today I'm eating the leftover half a sub from Saturday night that I forgot was in there. :oops:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:00 am

Last night was Shepard's pie
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:50 pm

One of the perils of being a Pratchett fan was finding out what the original recipe for shepherd's pie contained. :shock:

What's escarole, precious? :oops:

Rwhen-dear, yep, cottage cheese. Mine was "Russian-style" which has very small curds, so I added a bit of plain kefir to make runnier mix.

Very successful chicken last night. :) I rubbed leg quarters with spices - salt, pepper, basil, turmeric, dried garlic all mixed, browned them on both sides, then splashed some 2-buck Chuck into the skillet and let it simmer while I worked out. :D It was very tender, although that may be the meat itself, which hubby got from a natural store.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Chicken pot pie from the store.

Not cheap kind either, there is a local grocery store that makes lovely frozen ones. No one here has the patience to make one from scratch, particularly on Tuesday :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Frelga.. I'm loving the siggy pic as well. :D

I make home made chicken pot pie. It's not so hard once you've made it a time or two, but it does take time to bake..and it's best if it's cooled and then heated up a bit.. otherwise it's too runny.

SO.. is anyone making anything special for Bilbo & Frodo's birthday on the 22nd??
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:25 am

Frelga, love your chicken dish, sounds tender and also rich with the wine in it. I still have to go to TJ's and get that wine. :D

Escarole Leafy green - slightly bitter, but lovey dressed up.

Rose, I hadn't planned on making anything special for the shared birthday parties. Maybe something virtual here on thread. ;)

Lewie, I used to make pot pies, but I haven't now for ages. With just one person to cook for....too much effort. :P Glad you have a local store that makes them.

Back in the day...you could get 3 Swanson frozen pot pies for $1.00 when we were broke, my brother and I would by $5 dollars worth and live on them for a week. :D

Morwenna, did you get the baking done last night?

For me, I had philly steak sandwiches that I made with some left over round steak...tons of cheese, hogie roll and caramelized onions.

Brother bought the mondo burrito's from Chipotle's last night and he called to tell me there is one in the fridge here at work for me. So that is supper tonight. Mexican. :D Ole'.

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby hamlet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:26 am

rwhen wrote:Escarole Leafy green - slightly bitter, but lovey dressed up.

And, for the record, extremely tasty when prepped with some garlic and white beans and a bit of chicken broth. Not to mention red pepper flakes and a splash of white wine.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:10 am

Ah, thanks. Hamlet, do you sautée it, or what? Sounds tasty. :)
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Morwenna » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:32 am

Baked banana bread. Baked pie. Ate soup for supper. Ate Burger King breakfast sandwich this morning. Ate fish & rice for lunch, bought here. Ate doughnuts brought into office this morning. Details in Hello thread. Back to work. I'm sooooo tired... <zzzzz>
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:03 pm

Frelga wrote:Ah, thanks. Hamlet, do you sautée it, or what? Sounds tasty. :)

Saute the garlic and red pepper flakes for a minute or two in some good oil. Throw in the escarole, which you've cut into bite sized bits and washed of course, and wilt it for another minute. Pour in about 1 cup cooked white beans (or more if you like). Then add an ounce or three of good white wine and cook off. Then pour in some chicken broth until you have enough, simmer covered with a bit of salt and pepper for mabye 10-12 minutes until the greens are tender.

Enjoy!
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Frelga » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:15 pm

That sounds delightful. Thanks!

* pours a cold one for Morwenna who probably needs one *
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby hamlet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Just got home after 17 hours in the office. Game night. No time to make actual food. Eating about a pound of grapes for supper, which is probably not healthy.

Game on.

Have to mentally fortify myself for tomorrow, else I will personally throw a particular somebody into an industrial shredder.

Tomorrow night, going out to supper. Not sure if Sushi or Black River Barn. Or if I'll be in jail.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Frelga wrote:
* pours a cold one for Morwenna who probably needs one *

Gratefully accepted. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:14 am

The escarole sounds cool. Thanks for explaining it ;)

Hamlet, 17 hours in the office is not cool, however. You must be knackered. And what happens on game night? Do tell!

Tonight Mr JudyA did zaru udon (chilled, cooked udon noodles) with dipping sauce. We also bought in some karaage and seaweed salad from our favourite local Japanese. :)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby hamlet » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:55 am

Game night went off, mostly, without hitch, though it amazes me how adults can still occasionally act like children.

Ate only grapes and a single cookie last night. Now, operating on about 4 hours sleep and back in the office. Hooray.

Have to figure something out for supper, which might be difficult considering I have no actual comestibles in the house at this point except a few hard frozen items that probably won't be able to be thawed in the spare hour that I have.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:58 am

Morwenna, great for getting all that you could to the fair!! Good luck and bring home some ribbons. :D

JudyA, I don't know karaage!! :shock: Hope it was good. :D

hamlet, 17 hours working? that is more than two shifts, hope they don't keep you at that schedule.

*steals some banana bread*

Last night it was the burrito from Chipotle's. Very delish and I couldn't eat half of it. But tonight I am doing breakfast for supper. Ham and eggs, fried taters and toast.

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:11 am

rwhen wrote:*steals some banana bread*

Oh, you don't have to steal any! Have a slice! :hug: I hope the walnuts don't bother you.

Actually, it came out pretty good. But it was drier than I expected, so I must have left it in a little too long. Let's see what the judges have to say... :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive