The 4th Course, The Foodies Thread

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:21 am

rwhen wrote:Morwenna, great for getting all that you could to the fair!! Good luck and bring home some ribbons. :D

JudyA, I don't know karaage!! :shock: Hope it was good. :D

hamlet, 17 hours working? that is more than two shifts, hope they don't keep you at that schedule.

*steals some banana bread*

Last night it was the burrito from Chipotle's. Very delish and I couldn't eat half of it. But tonight I am doing breakfast for supper. Ham and eggs, fried taters and toast.

Bon Appitit!!

I love Chipotle :D I could recite my order on demand :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:46 am

I have only been to Chipotle twice, so this may not e a good basis for an opinion, but they use more rice that they should, and fewer other ingredients. Almost any of the local Mexican restaurants I have been to around the country do a better job. The last time I was there, as others in my group wanted to go, I left most of the rice behind and it was a large volume. I felt I had gotten a 1/2 order.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:03 am

portia wrote:I have only been to Chipotle twice, so this may not e a good basis for an opinion, but they use more rice that they should, and fewer other ingredients. Almost any of the local Mexican restaurants I have been to around the country do a better job. The last time I was there, as others in my group wanted to go, I left most of the rice behind and it was a large volume. I felt I had gotten a 1/2 order.

Agreed that most local places are better, I find that with almost ANY type of food, be it pizza, sandwiches, Chinese, Japanese etc. but for "mall food" I call it, it's good.

And the rice thing doesn't bother me because I get vegetarian burritos anyway.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:10 am

Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:
portia wrote:I have only been to Chipotle twice, so this may not e a good basis for an opinion, but they use more rice that they should, and fewer other ingredients. Almost any of the local Mexican restaurants I have been to around the country do a better job. The last time I was there, as others in my group wanted to go, I left most of the rice behind and it was a large volume. I felt I had gotten a 1/2 order.

Agreed that most local places are better, I find that with almost ANY type of food, be it pizza, sandwiches, Chinese, Japanese etc. but for "mall food" I call it, it's good.

I agree with Lewie here. The burrito's are huge and there is about half of it rice. But it is good rice, fresh veggies, very tasty meats and it isn't "manufactured" like you get a burrito in most restaurants. They make it fresh right in front of you and I like that.

That said, I prefer myself to get take out from any of the local places we have around here, they are all great and I never order a burrito. ;) There is a chipotle's on the other end of town and I never go there, but my brother does and he loves them and always picks one up for me. Other than that I probably wouldn't ever eat them. :D

Give me a great chili rellano any day!!
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:41 am

rwhen wrote:

I agree with Lewie here. The burrito's are huge and there is about half of it rice. But it is good rice, fresh veggies, very tasty meats and it isn't "manufactured" like you get a burrito in most restaurants. They make it fresh right in front of you and I like that.

That said, I prefer myself to get take out from any of the local places we have around here, they are all great and I never order a burrito. ;) There is a chipotle's on the other end of town and I never go there, but my brother does and he loves them and always picks one up for me. Other than that I probably wouldn't ever eat them. :D

Give me a great chili rellano any day!!

Honestly If I didn't work next to one I wouldn't go there really. Unfortunately from my house it's hard to really go *anywhere* let alone varied restaurants.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:53 am

I'm sad because the nice Mexican place near my office closed. They had nice food, fresh, and easy on rice. My favorite Mexican food, however, came from two taco trailers. Simple, yet real, and they even had taco lengua.

We were at the baseball game last night so I didn't cook. I need to see what meat I have in the fridge from hubby's shopping expedition. I always have some frozen fish, so it may be just that.
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby hamlet » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:55 am

No. Any place that can regularly serve entrees with over 2500 calories in them and call it a "meal" rather than an horrific crime against nutrition should be boycotted.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:57 am

Frelga wrote:I'm sad because the nice Mexican place near my office closed. They had nice food, fresh, and easy on rice. My favorite Mexican food, however, came from two taco trailers. Simple, yet real, and they even had taco lengua.

We were at the baseball game last night so I didn't cook. I need to see what meat I have in the fridge from hubby's shopping expedition. I always have some frozen fish, so it may be just that.

It better be Gorton's fish :D (the factory/HQ is in my town)
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:22 am

Swordy, it's raw fish that I buy frozen, so not Gorton's. It's my go-to busy night meal - I just dump some spices over it and bake it in the toaster oven.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:57 am

This morning we have had Wraps for Brunch. Chicken, bacon, eggs, avocado, and cheese on flour tortillas. It was good though I did not add any chicken. Ryan skipped the eggs on his. But they were good!!!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:24 pm

I don't know that I have ever had Gorton's. I have seen the commercials though. "Trust the Gorton's fisherman". :D

Frelga sounds good and healthy to me...fishessssss I mean. Enjoy.

Vanadarlin', wraps are so versatile and delish. :D

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 pm

Sitting here eating leftover turkey soup--and a couple slices of hubby's whole wheat beer bread. Mmmmmm :love:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:54 pm

rwhen, karaage is just the Japanese version of fried chicken. It's very moist and there's garlic in it somewhere. Yuuuuuum....

Tonight I have no idea what I'm eating for dinner - I'm at my brother's place and he's cooking it. But he's a good cook so it should be yum :thumbsup:
JudyA
Mariner

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:01 am

Morwenna, enjoying the fruits of the labor for the fair I see. :D

JudyA, Ah thanks for the information. I love great fried chicken. And enjoy supping with the brother. My brother is also a great cook.

Last night indeed I did have the brekkies for supper and exactly what ti wrote. Ham, eggs, taters and toast with some currant jelly.

I am going to the grocery store after I get off work this afternoon and that will determine what I will have tonight and this weekend, but I am thinking to getting a rotisserie chicken and then after one regular meal, get a pot of stock out of it along with either chicken casserole, chicken salad or chicken enchilladas from it. We shall see.

Bon Appitit!!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:30 am

The one thing we haven't tried yet is the pie!!! There's a whole apple pie sitting uncut in our kitchen, if you can believe it. Last night we had for dessert the baklava left over from what I brought home from the Greek festival last week; we figured we'd better get to it before it went south.

Tonight, for sure. :) Hubby says he's going to make glop out of the last of the turkey soup. Fine with me. :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:50 am

Going out for fancy Italian tonight. Something not pasta, probably.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:07 am

Been eating lots more fruit and veggies and feeling the effects in leaps and bounds. I don't feel as tired and in fact more energized about things. I don't feel sluggish and slow.

I know I am losing a little weight but slow and steady is the goal!!! :thumbsup:
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:32 pm

Vanadarlin... :thumbsup: Good on you!! :D

hamlet, enjoy the fancy Italian supper out tonight WITHOUT the pasta.

I am so hungry, I might pinch a slice of bread from the brothers cupboard. ;)

Have a great and delicious weekend all.

:hihi:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:04 pm

Vanaladiel wrote:Been eating lots more fruit and veggies and feeling the effects in leaps and bounds. I don't feel as tired and in fact more energized about things. I don't feel sluggish and slow.

I know I am losing a little weight but slow and steady is the goal!!! :thumbsup:

Congrats! Keep it up!
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:06 pm

Hubby made the glop out of the soup and it's so good I'm having a second bowlful and finishing it up! And No Apologies!! :D

Later for that pie...
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby hamlet » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Escarole and white bean soup. Then a nice light salad. And then sauteed snapper in a wine, lemon, and tomato sauce with arugula and roasted red peppers.

Best meal I've eaten in a month.

And now, sleep.
hamlet
Ringbearer

Postby JudyA » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:29 pm

Good on you Vana! I've been seeking to avoid munching between meals, plus eating less, more healthily and doing more exercise. Slow is indeed the word for it, but here's hoping...

btw rwhen, the karaage is always off the bone. Usually chicken thighs. Tasty as... and we all stayed over at my brother's place last night, so there was a bit pot of chorizo and veg stew, cooked in lots of tomato passata and some wine, with pasta. It was fab :thumbsup:

We head back tonight after dinner, so I'm cooking: full-on veggie soup (in homemade veggie stock) with some lovely fresh vienna loaves from the bakery and a berry and pear crumble for dessert. Today's been really cold after a southerly change hit mid-afternoon yesterday, so soup is just the thing :)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:18 am

The pie was good. Not great, but good. I know what I'd do next time. Meanwhile, hubby likes it just fine. But I have ridiculously high standards... :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:29 am

Huevos Rancheros baby. My weekend is complete.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:31 pm

I love fair food! Only we didn't get as much today as I planned. But that's OK, we weren't that hungry (we ate well this morning before leaving home--biscuits with sausage gravy, in fact). At the fair we had corn dogs and chicken tenders and fried clams (strips for hubby and bellies for me), and small-local-company soda. No Polish platter this year, alas; we just didn't eat enough meals there today.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby JudyA » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:47 am

Busy day. Did some pre-preparation for lunch as we had people coming over, then went up to church and was singing this morning.

Came home and got the potatoes roasting, made a green salad and a roast pumpkin and green bean salad with honey dressing, cooked some kofta on sticks and made some honey soy chicken, fried some mushrooms in butter and pepper, and yum! Lunch is served. And we had chocolate self-saucing pudding with cream for dessert :)

Tonight - forget cooking. I don't think I'll eat anything and everyone else can have two-minute noodles ;)
JudyA
Mariner

Postby Morwenna » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:18 pm

We stayed home from D&D this afternoon because of fatigue. But I went to church this morning and for afters there was apple crisp! First on the season and hubby wasn't even the maker! :) The woman who made it did mostly what hubby does, though she adds chopped or grated candied ginger, and it added a great touch. I mentioned it to hubby. And there were the typical cheese & crackers, chips & salsa or hummus (there were both), fruit (local Concord grapes this time) and tea/coffee/juice (cider this time). Hubby was eating sausage gravy on biscuit by the time I got back.

Tonight it'll be cheese & crackers ourselves; hubby has already taken some cheeses out of the fridge to get them friendly.

I had a nap. :)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Omelets for supper tonight.
With waffles and bacon.

My boys can't wait they love mommy's omelets.

Calma and her Babyman June 25, 1977
Still going strong.... :D

Mythology Month InThe TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!
:D Wins: 41
:x Losses: 24

Fair winds and following seas.....Toby.

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan... toby

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Gollum Girl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Mmm a nap, that sounds more delicious than any food right now. :P Anyway tonight my family cooked chicken and steak, but I dislike meat and decided to stay with the nice safe potato salad and salad. And ice cream :whistle:
Gollum Girl
Shield Bearer

Postby Frelga » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:32 pm

We went to a food festival this weekend - local farms, food trucks and restaurants, small businesses that make jam and fancy chocolate, and so on. It rocked! We had some dim sum, Asian-style tacos known as Kung Fu Tacos, with fantastic marinated chicken, a potato knish and for dessert a s'more and truffles. Also picked up a small tub of "fruit foam" - that most delicious froth that gets skimmed off jam as it cooks. It stays soft in the freezer and is better than sorbet.

Have I mentioned how much I love this area?
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive