The 4th Course, The Foodies Thread

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby heliona » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:00 am

Yes, rwhen, those are the traditional British dumplings. You don't see them a lot nowadays. I suspect they stem from people with a poor background, wanting to pad out an expensive meat stew. They're still good, though. :D

Lewie, I love lambs, I think they're adorable. However, I also love their meat and the fact that they are rather cute when they're gambolling about a field is not going to stop me eating their meat. :D
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby rwhen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:47 am

Last night I did NOT stop for Mexican as I had planned. Instead I remembered that I had some stuffed shells in the freezer and some pasta sauce, so I pulled that out instead. It was still very good. Out now, so I have to get the ingredients for making the stuffed shells again. I still have a few quarts of the pasta sauce in the freezer.

I think that lambs and pigs are adorable!!! and tasty!!! :D

I have a fascination with pig!! I think I have eaten every part of the pig but the ears and the hooves. :D Oh and in innards. I am not a "Nasty Bits" type of person. But all the rest is Yuh Uh Uh ME. And there is SO much one can DO with pork. So versatile.

Don't have a clue what to have tonight, so maybe TONIGHT will be the night that I pick up the Mexican. ;)

Bon Appitit!! (no I am not Julia Child, but I pretend that I am and hey, I have half the name already, right?) :D
Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!OldToby

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:40 am

:roflmbo: You go girlfriend!!! I love your name Jules!! :hug:

I have to work till at least 9 tonight so I have no idea what I will have for dinner tonight. I wont even think about it till I get off work, I bet. ;)
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:49 am

Vanaladiel wrote::roflmbo: You go girlfriend!!! I love your name Jules!! :hug:

I have to work till at least 9 tonight so I have no idea what I will have for dinner tonight. I wont even think about it till I get off work, I bet. ;)

I'm in class until 8:30 so I'm in a similar boat. There isn't really anything to eat now either actually............
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:55 am

:D You know, had I had half a brain when I joined TORC, I would have just made my TORC name Jules. Or maybe Jools. But I wasn't in my right mind then. Obviously..who would pick rwhen. :P

Thank you sweet Vanadarlin'. :hug:

I am thinking about food most of the day, until I actually eat after I get home. Cooking is a passion for me and an outlet, to me it feels good to cook. I get a kick out of it. And the only shopping that I like to do is food shopping.

I know, I am totally obsessed. But in a good way.

Lewie!! My brother said that 5 guys is a greasy burger, do you agree with that?

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:58 am

I guess you are living up to your name then Jules!! ;) I know of another Julia who went far on cooking. :P Just saying, perhaps you should be looking in that direction perhaps maybe something about meals for shut ins or something. :thumbsup: 143 :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:57 am

Julsey.. you mind is just fine. :) rwhen is a clever name.. it's all of us who are slow-on-the-pick-up!

I have no idea what we are going to have for supper.. We've had spaghetti 3 days in a row.. so .. no spaghetti tonight! I should have pulled something out of the freezer last night.. I need to go dig around.. see what we have.

Off to get schtuff done! Have a wonderful hump day all!
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:33 pm

rwhen wrote::D You know, had I had half a brain when I joined TORC, I would have just made my TORC name Jules. Or maybe Jools. But I wasn't in my right mind then. Obviously..who would pick rwhen. :P

Thank you sweet Vanadarlin'. :hug:

I am thinking about food most of the day, until I actually eat after I get home. Cooking is a passion for me and an outlet, to me it feels good to cook. I get a kick out of it. And the only shopping that I like to do is food shopping.

I know, I am totally obsessed. But in a good way.

Lewie!! My brother said that 5 guys is a greasy burger, do you agree with that?

Well I suppose they are a bit greasy if you get cheese AND bacon. I didn't find mine terribly greasy any time I've been there. Maybe it is the cooks at the location he went too? Or we could have a different definition of greasy, that's possible too :D

I feel the same way about cooking as you Rwhen, I've thought about culinary school as well, but go back and forth on it in my mind.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:02 am

Last night I did pick up the Mexican and it was great. A chili relano with some refried beans and flour tortillas. YUM.

No clue about tonight.

Lewie If I could do it all over again, I would have gone to the CIA or some other culinary school. Burlington might be the closest CIA to you. Not that I would have wanted to be a chef in a restaurant, but I would have loved to hone the skills and know how to work properly with butchering meats and learning to make breads properly and maybe even some pastries.

I hope that if you do have a passion for cooking, that you go for it. Chef's can always find work and some pay really great too. I should think that Boston has very high end restaurants that hire people right out of the CIA.

Rose and Vanadarlin'. Thank you to both of you sweeties. :hug:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:11 am

rwhen wrote:Last night I did pick up the Mexican and it was great. A chili relano with some refried beans and flour tortillas. YUM.

No clue about tonight.

Lewie If I could do it all over again, I would have gone to the CIA or some other culinary school. Burlington might be the closest CIA to you. Not that I would have wanted to be a chef in a restaurant, but I would have loved to hone the skills and know how to work properly with butchering meats and learning to make breads properly and maybe even some pastries.

I hope that if you do have a passion for cooking, that you go for it. Chef's can always find work and some pay really great too. I should think that Boston has very high end restaurants that hire people right out of the CIA.

I see what your saying, the main problem I've encountered in my mind is feeling I've wasted time doing a B.A. :(
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:39 am

Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:
rwhen wrote:Last night I did pick up the Mexican and it was great. A chili relano with some refried beans and flour tortillas. YUM.

No clue about tonight.

I see what your saying, the main problem I've encountered in my mind is feeling I've wasted time doing a B.A. :(

I have my degree in business, but could I go back, I would still get further educated in the culinary arts. Obviously, everyone is different. My degree has served me well through all the years, so I don't regret getting that degree.

I am just the type that will encourage people to follow their passion so that later it isn't a regret.

And on the 5 guys. I think I just need to try one myself. Personally I don't mind greasy. :P

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:07 am

When my honey got off work last night he went and bought me some Garlic Parmesan Cheesy breads and brought them to me at work. :D What a sweetie!!! I did not get to eat them at work while they were hot. :( But they were great when I got home. :thumbsup:

Tonight I am still not sure what we will be eating cause I work till 9:30pm tonight.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:16 am

Ah Guru is such a sweetie. :D

Last night I had some beef and pasta with mushrooms and grape tomatoes. And slice of fresh made bread, right from the maker. YUM.

After work, I am going grocery shopping, so that will determine what is for supper for the weekend.

Maybe a pot roast, so that I have leftovers.

:hihi:

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby portia » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:54 am

rwhen and Heliona: Those larger dumplings are also the ones I am used to, and the picture of the one which are more like pasta was accurate, too.

I cheat and use Bisquick and drop in my dumplings--but I like them.

Yesterday, I went out with a group for breakfast. I seldom do this as I am a person who needs to eat right away when she gets up. The place had "cinnamon roll french toast" on the menu. It was great. They took the rolls and sliced them across, fairly thin. Then soaked them in egg and cooked them and served them like french toast. That gave them just the little "oomph" that french toast often lacks. With syrup and butter they were really worth getting up early and going out for. That is saying a lot, for me.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:46 am

Well, I was going to do chicken fajitas this evening, however I managed to strain my rib muscles again. (They were strained from coughing and it was just getting better.) This time I can barely move without being in a lot of pain. And I'm talking, rapid breathing type of pain. My threshold is usually pretty high. But now I'm sitting in the dark (because I'm afraid to move to turn the lights on, however it's very dark now, so I'm going to have to move!), on my old laptop (which is being very slow as the virtual memory is practically used up) as my new one is completely kaput now and won't turn on at all. I've taken painkillers - here's hoping they work.

Anyway, Wilko is going to bring some fish and chips home for me. (From our local fish and chip shop, which is run by an ex-football player from our local team.)

:hair: <- that's how I feel at the moment. I'm tired of feeling partially ill, but not so ill that I don't want to do anything, because I want to do stuff and can't. And that we have four laptops but only one works properly (well this one is all right, but it's so slow!). And I'm going to spend nearly £900 on my car thanks to the previous owner not taking care of it. Argh! *ahem* Sorry, that should probably be the rant thread. :D
heliona

Postby rwhen » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:08 am

Oh heliona friend. I am so sorry to read of this. I have been having my own shoulder and neck issues, where by late afternoon if I move my neck in any way it sends pain all down my shoulders to my hands. Neck strain of some sort.

Now, once I did hurt my ribs by coughing for a prolonged period of time, and the pain is similar to what you are describing. I ended up going to a chiropractor friend of mine and his WIFE who is also a chiropractor with very small hands found that one very small rib was out of joint. She popped it back in and like magic, it was all perfect with no more pain.

Enjoy your fish and chips. ((soft hugs and turns on the lights))

portia, your breakfast sounds great to me. I don't eat breakfast at breakfast, but for dinner often. I will try that. And every now and again I will use Bisquick for dumplings too. But my mother had a dead easy recipe that is on the side of my fridge. Never fails me. The taste is about the same, but I think that my mothers make a bit lighter dumpling than Bisquick.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby heliona » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:11 am

rwhen wrote:Oh heliona friend. I am so sorry to read of this. I have been having my own shoulder and neck issues, where by late afternoon if I move my neck in any way it sends pain all down my shoulders to my hands. Neck strain of some sort.

Now, once I did hurt my ribs by coughing for a prolonged period of time, and the pain is similar to what you are describing. I ended up going to a chiropractor friend of mine and his WIFE who is also a chiropractor with very small hands found that one very small rib was out of joint. She popped it back in and like magic, it was all perfect with no more pain.

Enjoy your fish and chips. ((soft hugs and turns on the lights))

Thanks, rwhen. :hug: Gosh, I hope it's not a rib out of joint! :shock: I'm not sure how long it'd take to see a chiropractor. That's one thing against the NHS - getting to see a specialist takes a while! The thing is, the pain was getting better before this afternoon, so I'll hope it is just the muscle! :D

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby heliona » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:57 am

The fish and chips were lovely. :) I've had a day off work to just not move that much, and I'm better today, which means I should be able to get to work tomorrow.

I've posted a couple of cake recipes in the Cooking Guild thread ("Devil's Food Cake" which was Wilko's birthday cake and "Apple Cheesecake").

heliona

Postby rwhen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:10 pm

heliona, I am glad that you are improving. That means just torn muscles and such. How are you doing today?

Over the weekend!! I picked up some mexican again on Friday when I left work. Went shopping on Saturday afternoon and got a pork roast. Saturday night I had pork roast with gravy and mashed taters and sprouts. Sunday I turned the balance of the pork roast into carnitas with pica de gallo, sour cream, guacamole, flour tilla's and some refried beans on the side.

LOVELY.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Tarina » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Ok, have to post in here today becaue yesterday was just one of those days with some fabulous food.

Lan surprised me yesterday morning by going to get cinnamon rolls from IGA for breakfast. And not just any cinnamon rolls. These things are the size of a salad plate and about two inches thick. :Q And very delicious. We've discovered though that we only need to buy two, since Wiggles and I can share one.

Lunch was at the Duck Inn, a local restaurant. And a very tasty chicken tender salad with a cup of cream of tomato soup. Yum!

Then Lan and his dad did what they do best: grill. :D We had pork tenderloin with a kosher salt and fresh rosemary rub (you'd have to ask Lan what all is in it cause he's in charge of the kitchen :P) grilled over indirect heat on a charcoal grill. Heavenly. With it we had potatoes au gratin, courtesy of a Betty Crocker mix; salad; rolls; and peach pie for dessert. It was supposed to be apple pie, cause that's what the little label said but it turned out to be peach. But it was still quite tasty.

Tonight is leftover Chinese from Saturday night. We've got four boxes of partially eaten entrees and most of a box of rice left over. :Q
Tarina
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:20 pm

rwhen wrote:heliona, I am glad that you are improving. That means just torn muscles and such. How are you doing today?

I'm much improved with regards my muscles today, thanks. :) I thought it was my muscle when only contracting them sideways as opposed to up-and-down hurt (I hope that makes sense!) and normal breathing didn't hurt (when I cracked my ribs breathing hurt, walking hurt, practically everything was painful).

Although I did wake up today with a strange sore neck. It almost feels like it is bruised close to my Adam's apple. I'm paranoid about tonsilitis as I had a very bad bout of it 6 years ago and I was laid out for two weeks on antibiotics. So I've taken some Ibuprofen and it seems to have subsided slightly. *shrug*

The second cheesecake we made with an altered recipe (which is the one I posted) is much better than the first and has already been finished off. :D

Tonight I'm at work, so it's pizza. Nothing extravagant. :D

heliona

Postby rwhen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:03 am

heliona, I am happy that the ribs are better, but take care of that throat!! Don't need to be sick with all the holidays in front of us.

Last night I went to my favorite mexican food restaurant Cisco's and picked up the carnitas and WHOOO WEEEEEEE it was fantastic. I made little pork roll ups with flour tortillas and topped it with sour cream and guacamole. Very lovely.

When are you off after these nights? Pizza is good. :D

Hey Tarina.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby heliona » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:16 pm

Yes, the ribs are now just aching. And my sore throat seems to be almost gone, so I guess taking the ibuprofen helped. Fingers crossed that means that I'm finally getting better! :D

I posted a photo of the last piece of cheesecake on the Cooking Guild thread, in case anyone is interested. :)

I finished tomorrow (Thursday) morning. Thursday evening we're going out for pizza for a friend's birthday, Friday my car is getting it's timing belt and accessories changed, and Saturday we are going to a surprise 70th birthday party. Busy, busy! (And I haven't got a card or present yet - for either of the birthdays. Eek! :shock:)

Tonight I will be having pasta with gently fried onions and garlic with some fajita powder in a cheesy white sauce. It's a staple of mine when I don't want to do much cooking. :D
heliona

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:35 pm

I am glad you are gentle with the onions heliona... ;)

rwhennie... you're making me hungry for pork carnitas. Image
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:48 pm

I am glad you are gentle with the onions heliona... ;)

Well, they take their revenge if you are not. :D
heliona

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:51 pm

I'm going to the Blue Ginger on Saturday!!!!!!!!!

It's like my favorite restaurant ever!!!!!!!!!! :D :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Lewie, I looked up the Blue Ginger and I see that it is a Ming Tsai restaurant. I am pea green here. Have a great time and tell us all about it after.

Rosies, you know that I thought of you and your family when I went into Cisco's. :hug: But I had a bite for you. :D

heliona, I have to check out the cooking guild recipes, I never seem to make it over there. Enjoy the pasta. Even WITH the gently cooked onions. I suppose that means you just saute them on a low heat to get them soft? I am one that can eat onions raw, especially green onions (spring onions?). Take a bite of steak with a bit of baked tater and a big crunch on a green onion. Just about a perfect bite of food.

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby heliona » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:43 pm

Well, really, I suppose my onions weren't gently cooked. I like them so that they are soft on the inside and just turning golden-brown and bubbly on the outside. Caramelised. :D

I like raw onions too, although it depends how strong they are! Red onions are lovely. :) (And I guess spring onions are your green onions: Spring onions)
heliona

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:38 pm

rwhen wrote:Lewie, I looked up the Blue Ginger and I see that it is a Ming Tsai restaurant. I am pea green here. Have a great time and tell us all about it after.

Rosies, you know that I thought of you and your family when I went into Cisco's. :hug: But I had a bite for you. :D

heliona, I have to check out the cooking guild recipes, I never seem to make it over there. Enjoy the pasta. Even WITH the gently cooked onions. I suppose that means you just saute them on a low heat to get them soft? I am one that can eat onions raw, especially green onions (spring onions?). Take a bite of steak with a bit of baked tater and a big crunch on a green onion. Just about a perfect bite of food.

The other time I've been there we actually got to meet Ming, he was greeting customers and plating food. He actually seemed really nice, and seemed generally interested in the customers and what they had to say. I almost had to contain a squeel of fandom excitement until safely in the car leaving however :D

The butterfish was pretty exceptional as well :D I think I'm going to try the duck this time.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:30 pm

helonia, yes, we call them green onions or scallions. I adore onions. :D Fun fact: Onions were a major food source for ancient Egyptians.

rwhennie.. when I heard you went to Cisco's .. my mouth did water!! I've been to some very good Mexican restaurants.. and that's WAY up there at the top. Maybe I'll have to get your recipe for carnitas. :)

Did anyone hear about the controversy/health concerns about seafood??
Do You Know your fish comes from? You can either read the article or watch a video (after a short commercial.)
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive