TORC 365 Photo Project -- MODS please lock

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby GwenElf » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:55 am

Gil and Rodia, welcome aboard!! :hihi:

Rodia--Thanks a ton for all the info! I'm pretty sure my cousin and his friend are using some sort of Blogspot-hosted site (in fact, having just gone to Blogspot's site, I'm now almost sure of it).

I'm thinking LJ and Blogspot sound like our best options, but if people just want to email me their photos, I can upload them all at the end of each week, or something like that.

So, I'll start a poll on the thread and people can vote for their preference--hopefully there'll be some sort of consensus! :D
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:20 am

I am for sending them to someone who can download them for me. :D

So use what site you agree upon and count me in!!
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:34 am

I have no problem sending my photos to an official 'poster' person. I guess I could go vote in that poll-thingy too....

:D

Hi Ro!

Loki.

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby heliona » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:16 pm

I don't have any problem with any of the options really. :)
Image<-- Celebrating Science in the TVM!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Calma » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:53 pm

Because I'm not all that familiar with all the options, (seen LJ but not the others) I'll go with whatever the majority chooses.
(voted other)

Calma and her Babyman June 25, 1977
Still going strong.... :D

Mythology Month InThe TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!
:D Wins: 41
:x Losses: 24

Fair winds and following seas.....Toby.

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan... toby

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby krawler » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:01 am

I think I'd like to join the project, if there's room and you don't mind having a TORc lurker in your midst. ;) I tried a 365 run this year, but gave up after a few weeks. Once a day is too much for me, but once every week or so sounds about right.

I'm throwing my vote to Live Journal, because I'm somewhat more familiar with than with the others. I'd prefer being able to post pictures myself instead of having one person taking care of it all. Seems to me that would be a lot of pressure on them, and the project would be dependent on their own schedule and the demands Real Life™ places on them. At the very least such responsibilities should be split between two or three people.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:32 pm

I agree really that posting your own photo with a little tale to tell about it puts less pressure on one person to get everything done. It may be easier in the long run if people upload their own photos.

I've just remembered, Rodia, you can host photos on Livejournal, in their Scrapbook section, although I think they make them smaller. I'm not sure if that works for communities, though. And I'm not convinced that LJ would be the best place - if you haven't got an account, you would have to register. Then again, for anything, you'll have to register, I suppose.

I should add that I'm going on holiday on the 29th December and won't be back until the 8th January (I think!) so I won't be able to upload anything for the first week. I'll certainly be taking lots of photos, as I'll be in Florence, so I suppose someone could "save me a slot" but I wouldn't actually be able to put it up until I got back. :)

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Rodia » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:10 pm

Isn't that for paid accounts only, Heliona?
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:15 pm

I don't think so. I have a paid LJ account now, but I'm fairly certain that I put photos up before. I could however be completely wrong! :D The LJ scrapbook makes the photos rather small anyway, so it's probably not the best medium.

Edited to add: it looks like there's a companion photo blog for Flickr at blog.flickr.net - I can't currently access it as I'm at work, but is that any good does anyone know? Doing a quick google of "best free photo blog sites" comes up with some interesting options - which I currently can't access. :roll: Google search - by the little bit of tagline that I can read, www.keepandshare.com looks like it is tailored towards group-maintained photo blogs, which would be ideal for us.
heliona

Postby GwenElf » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:32 pm

So far the only drawback I see to KeepandShare is that it looks like you can write a description for each photo, but you can't post other comments on individual photos--their sample blog has one place down at the bottom of the page for group member comments, but it looks like it encompasses the entire blog, not each separate photo. Which might not be a problem--I guess it depends on whether people anticipate having a lot of discussion. We can always do that in this thread, as well.

Krawler--There's definitely room--welcome aboard! :)

I'm happy to post photos for people who would rather just email them to someone else, but I'm with Heliona and Krawler in that the more people we have posting their own, the less pressure on any one individual to get them up in a timely manner.

Incidentally, my original thought on using Blogspot or LJ was that we'd have one account and everyone would share the username and password, and photos would be identified by [user]name in the title or description of the post. That way not everyone would have to go and sign up separately. But would people rather just do it individually? Or shall I just make an executive decision on this one? :P
Last edited by GwenElf on Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:38 pm

I totally understand that but I am such a computer illiterate when it comes to posting photos to sites that are not ones that I am on. I have a terrible time with Facebook to be honest and all.

But if someone can walk me through it, I will try! Then if it is something outside my abilities I will hand it to someone who is willing to aid me in this venture. :D

Looks like we will be moving the 2nd of January so I will start my photos of where we are going and what we are leaving behind. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Calma » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:51 pm

GwenElf wrote:Incidentally, my original thought on using Blogspot or LJ was that we'd have one account and everyone would share the username and password, and photos would be identified by [user]name in the title or description of the post. That way not everyone would have to go and sign up separately. But would people rather just do it individually? Or shall I just make an executive decision on this one? :P

I think that would be the best way to go.
But as I said, I'll go with whatever is decided.

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan... toby

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby krawler » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:17 am

LJ has something called 'Communities' that seems to act as a sort of group blog. Individual members need to have a LJ account, but they can all post to the Community page and folks can leave comments on individual entries. And I know that Blogger allows you to create blogs with multiple participants. Would something like that work for people? Of course, that wouldn't really help with those who do not want to start a new account somewhere.

Whatever the group decides is fine with me, though.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Rodia » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:22 am

I'd go with blogger, then, since then the photos get hosted on their server (well, in a picasa album, it's all the same platform) and there's no crazy resizing problems. Whether it's multiple participants or just a common login...

Blogger( blogspot) is google, and although not everyone has a gmail account I know it's pretty popular so maybe that would help.
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby Calma » Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Rodia, would we need to get a gmail account to post on blogger?
Not that it would be a hassle, I am just curious.

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Rodia » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:44 am

To post comments, no, but to post in the blog I think you'll need an account anywhere you go...
Rodia
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:52 am

If you don't need one to post comments, then it may be a good idea to have a group email address. So someone creates a "torc365" -at- gmail.com or whatever, makes up a password and lets everyone who is involved know. That way we could all post and also if someone else wants to join in at some point, all they need to know is the password.

Does that make sense? It does save people creating accounts if they don't already have one.

heliona

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:10 pm

I rather like that idea. Now if I could just remember how to download and do all that when the time is right. ;) :P

If I need any help I will sure let someone help me. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Gilaglar » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:46 am

I've decided to do my own 365 project this year, although I'm still keen to contribute to the TORC one as well. I just wanted to say that I've set mine up on Blogger and it seems to work well with minimal fuss (although there is obvious potential for massive amounts of tweaking if I so desire...)
Gilaglar
Ranger of the North

Postby krawler » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:26 am

*pokes thread with a stick*

So, what's the good word?
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:30 am

**giggles** Stop that Krawler, it tickles!!! :roflmbo:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby GwenElf » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:28 pm

Sorry, everyone. Between Christmas, my birthday, and getting sick, I haven't been online much.

I will set up a group account on Blogspot ASAP and get everyone the login info so we can begin! To that end, could everyone please email me at torc365 at gmail.com and I'll email you all back the password.

In the meantime, how does this sound for photo days:

Monday: Sil and Gil (hey, it rhymes!)
Tuesday: Tooks and Krawler
Wednesday: Calma and rwhen
Thursday: Rose and Hobby
Friday: *Alassë* and PatriotBlade
Saturday: heliona and Rodia
Sunday: Vana and Guru (do you guys want to do two separate photos, or just one?)

If anyone's particularly keen on a certain day, let me know and I can switch us around, but otherwise, let's keep this as the tentative setup.

Rwhen and Alasse, any word on cameras yet?
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Calma » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:43 pm

email sent.... :D

Sounds like a good time.

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby GwenElf » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:55 pm

Allll right everyone, here's the word!

Blog is set up, although I've given it very little by way of design, so the tech-savvy among you are welcome to update it and make it pretty as you see fit! :)

It can be found at torc365.blogspot.com. To make posts to it, go to blogger.com; the username is torc365 and the password is the one I'll be emailing y'all. It looks like posts can be deleted, so feel free to make test posts (I made one) so you can get a feel for it. When you upload photos, you can just click on the size adjustment buttons to make them larger or smaller, and there's even a snazzy caption feature for the photos. :thumbsup:

Wheeee!
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Calma » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:51 pm

Ok, I did a couple of test runs.
It seems rather easy. :D
I'm glad for that, btw.

The picture uploaded just fine.

Love the title you came up with, too.
Very clever.

ETA:

Maybe you can put a link in your sig so everyone can visit the site.
Y'know, just sayin'.

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby krawler » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:04 pm

Sending email now. It'll be from a different moniker than this one, so you know. I'm not very tech savvy, but I may try to spruce up the blog a little if I have any spare time. :)
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:40 am

I think you can have us both on the same day and Sundays are perfect for us. Or Tuesdays would be great too!!:D

Will be sending the email right along. :D Cant wait to get started!!! So should we plan on this coming Sunday then since it is the 2nd of the year?

We actually get to start moving tomorrow (the 1st) but till the moving is done I am not sure we will have time to do any posting and since the computer wont be hooked up till the 3rd when the company comes to activate and hook up the modem......
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:49 am

Email sent!!!

8)

Loki.

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby krawler » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:50 pm

I added a list of who's contributing and on what days. I thought that sort of information should be close to the top of the page, so I messed with the layout a bit to get the list up there, but while also trying not to sacrifice too much of the space available for the blog posts. I'm sure it could be improved upon, but I wanted to see if everyone was ok with that general idea for the layout before putting too much time into it.
krawler
Ranger of the North

Postby GwenElf » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:38 pm

I like it, Krawler! I'm going to edit the first post of the thread with the same list in case people forget, but I like the idea of having it on the blog, too. :thumbsup: I was going to see about getting a LOTR-themed image to maybe put in the banner at the top behind the blog name, too.. maybe... :P

By the way, if anyone has a better suggestion for the blog name, hit me with it! I put in the only thing I could think of. :P
GwenElf
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive