The TVM - New Zealand here we come!!!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Storyteller » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:22 am

heliona wrote:ST, some sort of savings is definitely a good idea, and having an employee pension fund is generally considered a good thing. Ask someone who has retired and doesn't have much money!

The question is, how much will be left from my savings after 32 years of inflation and economic crises?

People often complain that the current generation spends more and saves less. But the reason may be that saving doesn't make as much sense as it once did.

I don't understand Black Friday. Why do people go out shopping at stupid hours in the morning to fight with other crazy people to get "bargains" (that aren't actually bargains - the retailers are still making a profit) on items that they don't want or need. A riot over a waffle iron?! :shock: Seriously?! Who actually uses a waffle iron on a regular basis? I bet it's not anyone that got one in a sale on a whim. I don't particularly like shopping in crowds at the best of times, so something like Black Friday I'd consider my worst nightmare. Fortunately, we don't have anything like that here. We do having Boxing Day sales, although in recent times due to the economy and people tightening their belts, the sales have been spread out over a longer period, so there hasn't been a rush on products.

Buying something you don't need because it's cheap makes no sense at all. I'm sure most people go out to buy the stuff they do need, then lose control of their grabbing reflexes.

Still, shooting and pepper spray over shopping? That's too nuts even for a squirrel.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:27 am

I gotta make a quick side trip to Scotland today, folks. ;)

:hihi: to all!

Glad you survived Lewie. Did those poor people show up at work a second day?? :roll: You have to wonder about management sometimes. Okay, so you have to wonder about management ALL the time.... :P

No sign of s*** here in the near future. More rain coming though. Like that's anything new this year.... I think we are about 20 inches over our 'normal' rainfall average. I'll have to look that up sometime. :D:D

OOOoo, CR. Sounds delish. :D I loooove cranberry sauce. And pumpkin pie. I think I may have mentioned that in another post. :D

The TVM brings you the letter G.

:D

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Gamgee Wench » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:13 am

Have fun in Scotland Tooks! Say hi to your Mum from all of us!

I just wanted to quickly give a quick Dave update....the friend of mine who has had a reoccurance of throat cancer. He's presently going through intense chemotherapy, and has been very, very sick. He has to eat through a stomach tube at this point but the nausea has really made him miserable. But, the nausea has diminished as of yesterday (it will come back after the next treatment, but hopefully he will get a bit of a break). The best news I heard was yesterday, several people who have seen him in the last two or three days say they notice a significant decrease in the size of the tumor. That is what this is all about, getting that tumor small enough to operate on.

So continue to send up prayers and/or good thoughts for shrinkage of this very aggressive tumor. In about a week and a half I'm heading up there for a few days to just sit with him while he goes through this, so his wife can go to work with some peace of mind. Man, I cannot tell you how much I hate cancer. ( And I am so so glad we did that trip to Sanibel with them last month. I know he really is leaning on those memories. )

Hugs to everyone and have a great Saturday!!
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Lebasi » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:19 am

I don't understand Black Friday either. From what I can tell, it's just craziness.
:hug: to everyone who had to work for it. And I'm glad you survived. Assuning everyone did.

I think Isil works, Isildilme. Izzy does too but for me it would be weird because I often get called Izzy (my username is my name backwards).

Fun fact for today: in the Hebrew language, the words for "turkey" and for "giving thanks" come from the same root.

Awesome :)

We managed to lose another football match today (my finger wasn't as injured as I thought it was and I'd been expecting to play anyway). We still haven't won yet this season...

And next Wednesday my school's going to be closed because of teachers' strikes.

:hihi:
Last edited by Lebasi on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lebasi
Ranger of the North

Postby Calma » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:35 am

Good news about your friend, Wenchie.
I'll continues the good vibes for him.
Give him a hug for me.

Sorry about another loss Lebasi.
Just keep plugging away a win will come your way.
And I hope the teachers don't strike long.

My best to your mom, Tooks.
Have fun in Scotland.

Have a good weekend all
Later...

G is for Gorgeous!

'nuff said

The TVM Celebrates The Letter "G"!

Join the funWith The TVM

CAT LOVERS GUILD Image :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

WINS: 6 :D

LOSSES: 8 :P

SOUNDERS!!!

Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan Image

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image ROCK ON!!!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:10 am

Calma I love the sig pic you have now. Very cute and so true.....I mean we are ruled by our little ones, aren't we?
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Frelga » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:48 am

Speaking of shopping. I completely forgot that my son will need a set of nice clothes for next weekend (invited to a Bat Mitzvah) and he grew out of everything he had. Ugh, I guess I have to go into the store after all. :( I am hoping for dress pants and a white shirt with maybe a vest to go over the shirt. A suit seems too much, both to spend and to wear.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby rowanberry » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:46 pm

Wenchie, that's good news about your friend! :) I'll keep him and you in my thoughts.

I'm glad that those of you who had to work on Black Friday survived the madness! Fortunately, the closest to that that we have are some "crazy bargain days" arranged by a few department stores a couple of times a year. But, at least the different places arrange them at different times!
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:00 pm

Our store last year did about $88,000 dollars in business and this year we wanted to top it. Our manager said he believed that we had a much better staff this year and he felt we could easily do 120,000 with 1500 customers. Well by 7:30 last night we had hit $120,000. We closed the night with $123,000 in sales and 1500 customers. We did it!!!! :yippie:

But I must admit that I am so very thankful that Black Friday is over for another year!!!
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby prmiller » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:25 am

Vanaladiel wrote: I am so very thankful that Black Friday is over for another year!!!

A Good Long Soak

Let's find the Epsom Salts, my dear,
and soak your feet and rest,
for your ordeal is over,
so relaxing now is best.

Light candles, make a cup of tea
revisit Middle Earth,
take up a tale, and have a soak,
perhaps give way to mirth.

For others here, life-tempest-tossed,
take time to ease your feet,
a nice warm shower or a bath--
you need this restful treat!

Blessings,
Parm :)
Spring...hmmm....I've seen that word before...

prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby Calma » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:49 pm

Ahhhhh...(sigh)

Just got back from having some time out with my babyman.
Went to the Family Pancake House for a cheese burger.
Yep, I had a date with my babyman. :love:

Hope all had a good weekend.

Later...

G is for Gorgeous!

'nuff said

Join the funWith The TVM

SOUNDERS!!!

Image ROCK ON!!!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Frelga » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Wenchie, forgot to say, glad chemo is working for your friend, even if it's an ordeal. My prayers are with him.

Well, I used up the gift cards that MIL gave me for the last couple birthdays to get my son outfitted for the party. I got him a white shirt and a nice black with grey stripes, and grey slacks, and black shoes. He refused a vest, however, don't know what to do about that. It was quite a shock to see the nicely dressed young man that my baby became.

I guess everyone did their shopping Friday, because the stores were empty. :?
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby notlistening » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Isildilmë, I'm liking Isi or Izzy as Calma suggested.

Heliona, niece has moved in with her current boyfriend and we have heard little back so far. So I am hoping no news is good news.

No s*** for Tooks as yet? We have had bucket loads of rain. I'm growing webbed feet. Should look fabulous at teh Christmas party on friday. :roll:

Wenchie!!! That is such good news the tumor is shrinking. But sorry to hear he is not able to take food.

And yah for the ice rink. I remember you pointing out to me where it went in the backyard! :D

So no fatatlities for Black Friday sales? People are crazy sometimes. Our sales day is not until Boxing day but I don't recall too many peeps timing up at midnight. :roll:

I am Groot!
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby prmiller » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Calma wrote:Ahhhhh...(sigh)

Just got back from having some time out with my babyman.
Went to the Family Pancake House for a cheese burger.
Yep, I had a date with my babyman. :love:

Hope all had a good weekend.

Later...

The Marathon of Romance

How swift the runners, filled with strength,
who run the briefest course,
like novas, bright with energy!
What brilliance! What force!
Yet athletes hold with high acclaim
those ones who run for miles,
the marathoner who endures
the distance and the trials.
That you should have your "babyman"
run with you day by day,
seems as a noble marathon,
but not run for display,
but rather done from deeper joys,
romancing energies,
that are stretched out for years and years
that he might daily please.
We celebrate this constant care,
the steady pace well done,
that both enjoy your road of love
until your course is run.

Blessings,
Parm :)
Spring...hmmm....I've seen that word before...

prmiller
I am Parm: Servant of Eru, Bard of Imladris

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:42 am

Lebasi wrote:I think Isil works, Isildilme. Izzy does too but for me it would be weird because I often get called Izzy (my username is my name backwards).

:o I didn't realise about your name ! Very good idea, and Lebasi sounds good, so it's even better (I couldn't do the same with my name, actually, it would look horrible).
Concerning the Official Tengwar Transcription Thread - VI
To all the newbees, Welcome to TORC !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

You can address yourself to me in French, Spanish or English as you wish.

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:30 am

Holy smoley!! We are almost at 2000 posts again!!! :shock:

8)

Hope your friend is eating normal soon, Wenchie. And we got parmed again. :D:D:D:D

Ooooo, neat to hear about Lebasi's name. Hmmm...not sure I'd want to do that with mine. Written out it looks like some obscure tree-dwelling mammal or something...... ;)

:hihi: to all....rowan, Vana, Frelga, nl, Calma, Lebasi, Isildilme (Isil?), Story, and all others! :D

here!!!

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:06 am

Tookish_Traveler wrote:Hmmm...not sure I'd want to do that with mine. Written out it looks like some obscure tree-dwelling mammal or something...... ;)

LOL that makes me curious !
Before posting anything on this thread, READ THE INTRODUCTION. For now, I didn't have the time to update the intro, so I let you read the intro of thread #IV here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the threads or by email (isildilme@hotmail.com - write "Tengwar" somewhere in the subject in case you fall in my junkmail, because if I don't know, I wont open the message !). Note that I don't accept transcription requests by email, you have to post them here !

Special message : I have now two precious sons. They are my priorities, and an additional explanation for the delays in my answers. I WILL answer you... but you might have to wait. Thank you for your comprehension.
Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Storyteller » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:39 am

A few Israeli shops had Black Friday-inspired sales today. None of the crazy discounts, though, only "no VAT" or 1+1, and none of the madness. I bought a new Logitech keyboard+mouse set to replace my 4 year old one (its mouse consumes two AA batteries in 3-4 days and I was tired of recharging), a laptop cooling pad with a built-in USB hub and 2.5" HDD dock, and some 100 Euros' worth of maps for tomorrow's exam.

Wiah me luck tomorrow before the big scary exam, btw
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby Isildilmë » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:26 am

Good luck Story ! You can do it ! :yippie:

Isildilmë
Devoted to the Sheen

Postby Calma » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:39 pm

Kick butt, ST!
You can do this I know you can.

G is for Gorgeous!

'nuff said

Join the funWith The TVM

SOUNDERS!!!

Image ROCK ON!!!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:45 pm

Hubby and I were away at his company's Christmas Party over the weekend, and now . . . Wow, so much to catch up on!

Working backwards . . . Story, I'm happy to send you all the luck o' the Irish (they have plenty to go 'round) ;) but I think you'll be brilliant on your exam even without it. :thumbsup: Go you!! And as far as the savings thing goes, I guess it's a personal choice. But if you think about it, even if the savings on your nest egg get eroded by inflation, at the end of the day you still have something put by, and something is better than a big fat 0. (You can get around the worst of the "erosion" thing if you choose investments with the smallest risk but a guaranteed return - these types may have smaller "returns" but hey, better small than nothing, right?) :D

Did Scotland survive, Tooks? ;) LOL on your name thing; mine backwards sounds like some sort of hippy footware (selbbircs) :shock: :P:D

Lebasi, I didn't know that about your name, how cool that it makes such a neat online handle. :D

:hihi: Parm! Did you survive the windstorm! :shock: And I also love it when a thread gets "Parmed" . . . :D

nl, I was watching the Weather News about all your rain, I hope your apartment is staying nice and dry this time . . . :shock: Not sure what to recommend for webbed feet except to keep your shoes on at the party . . . ;) :D And I too hope that "no news is good news", perhaps the boyfriend will keep the neice out of mischief. :)

Frelga, sounds like you did very well for Lufu, and amazing how fast they grow up, eh? I'm sure he looked every inch the handsome young gent. :thumbsup:

Mmmmm, sounds like a perfect "date" to me, Calma. :D

Vana, Lewie, CR - so glad to hear you all survived the Black Friday madness . . . I really do feel extremely bad for all the folks who have to work that day, especially for those whose stores are the worst for the insanity. :(

:hihi: Isildime, how is the poll on the nickname going? :)

Hello to heliona too and apologies to anyone I may have missed . . . :blush:

Hubby's Christmas Gala was a huge good time, but after two flights in as many days with a party in-between, I'm bushed!

:D:D:D

Edited to Add: And I got the 2000th post!! Wooooo hoooooo!

:P:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:47 pm

buncha spammers.

here!!!