The TVM -- Roadtrippin' to MoME!!11

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:55 pm

Really only maybe?
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Well rwhen signed up and I volunteered Louie to sponsor again too. :roll:

We should do okay. Maybe I could dig up Stu the 'bago driving llama too. hmm......

:shock:

Breakfast. :D

---------------------------------

Watch my (low budget) movie
here!!!

For more fun, watch this video! ->

Star Trek meets Monty Python!!
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby notlistening » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:11 pm

The village of Dale sounds good to me...gets us in a Hobbity mood?

Friday! Yah! and a long weekend too. Gonna go see Looper (even though I'm sure it will be violent.) :shock:

Fell Beasts rule!
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Calma » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:10 pm

Vanaladiel wrote:Really only maybe?

We could use you, as well, Vana.... poke....poke
After all, rwhen joined up.... poke again
Y'know, just sayin'... :whistle:

Have a fun weekend, nl and let me know how Looper is.
I like Bruce Willis movies.
(ok, so it's a guilty pleasure...)

September is Breakfast Month in the TVM!!! :D

Join the funWith The TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!

WINS: 51 :D
LOSSES: 52 :P

SOUNDERS!!!

Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby notlistening » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Arghhhhh! I needs teh uzi. Peoples downstairs need to be frightened into finishing the things I need!!!!

Fell Beasts rule!
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:50 pm

Calma what did you think of the movie RED with Bruce Willis? They are making RED 2 and he will be in it again. We love that movie and all his Die Hard movies.

NL I hope that you get the folks down stairs to finish what they should. Good Luck hon! :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Calma » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:41 pm

Totally loved RED. So did my babyman.

Join the funWith The TVM

SOUNDERS!!!

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby notlistening » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Yeah, they've been sorted now.

Waiting for the day to end................

Fell Beasts rule!
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:34 am

My sister is wanting to see Looper....I may go with her. :D

Regarding MoME..... I am leaning towards sponsoring Galion.

Galion was a Nandorian Wood-elf of the Woodland Realm in Northern Mirkwood.

He was the King's butler and was probably one of his many servants. He was also charged with shipping out the empty barrels into the underground river down the Long Lake and finally back to Laketown.

He was very fond of his wine.

:D

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:39 am

Tookish_Traveler wrote:He was very fond of his wine.

Ah, then he'd have a discerning palate. Which means great bri . . . er . . . gifts of appreciation for the MoME judging panel . . . *drool*

Hawai'i Travelogue is done, but on the computer at home, so it'll go up this weekend and make a nice ending for the month of September. :P:D

And I'm sorry it'll go up so late, as y'all know work has been an absolute bear and without going into more detail than y'all will care about, this month has also seen some stressful issues on the home front so . . . unfortunately, the Brain of the (real-life) Scribe is just not good enough to function normally under the circumstances . . . :blush:

Loved RED my ownself and was overjoyed to hear they're making another. ;) Though I'll miss Morgan Freeman's character . . . :(

Have an easy day everyone, for the weekend is upon us . . . soon.

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:53 am

Ooooo000o.

And today is National Beer drinkers day.

Tis okay, Scribbles. We will wait a bit more for the lovely photos. :D
Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby rowanberry » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:56 am

Tookish_Traveler wrote:Ooooo000o.

And today is National Beer drinkers day.

And I'm celebrating it with a pint of Schenkerla Rauchbier. :P

Well, looks like there will be a MoME again this year. 8) I'll be away for the weekend (again!), but I'll take a look on the situation on Monday, and open the contest if it seems to get enough interest.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Gamgee Wench » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:38 pm

Hello Rowanberry and Rwhen and Calma and Tooks and notlistening and silverscribe and Storyteller and martin and Vanaladiel and Cock-Robin and Irisbrandybuck and Frelga and everyone I forgot!

Well, I'm two weeks into my new job and it's been interesting. The first few days were rough and I truly thought I had made a mistake by leaving my old company. I think a lot of that had to do with not having an office/cube/place to hang my hat. That will be rectified soon....I am still parking my hind quarters in cubes of those who are out of the office for the day, but they know that I'm in need and they are renovating next week. Finally.

But things are much better, I'm getting a lot more work....and for some crazy reason, they think I know a lot so they are throwing more projects at me (I truly don't know how they got this information but I figure they will learn the truth soon enough).

And, when I come into work, I park behind the building. And it's a bit of a run down area in the city and I noticed where I park my car there is a homeless person living under an outside stair case. Or I think there is...right next to my car. I see a lump of blankets under the stair but didn't think much about it until one day I was going home and I saw this hand, just the hand, grabbing the lip of the stair. I was startled but I saw nothing else but the lump of blankets. Same thing the next day. Today it was pouring rain when I came into work and I thought that maybe the person wouldn't be there.....but when I drove in I had to laugh. The same lump of blankets, still can't see a person but on the steps is an unfurled umbrella, obviously put there to shelter whatever is under the blankets. I'm very sad if there really is a person under there (I'm assuming the hand I saw was attached to a human) but I'm also a bit nervous. So....when it gets darker out in the late afternoon I may tackle one of the burly geologists and make them walk to my car with me. Ya never know. It's been an adventure.

:hihi:
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Calma » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi, Wenchie!! :hihi:

Happy to hear your new job is getting better.
The first couple of weeks are the most difficult.
I bet you have it down by next week.

Yeah, get some one to walk you to your car.
The lump of blankets might be harmless, but you never know.

Hi, all! :hihi:
Have a good weekend.

Later...

Join the funWith The TVM

SOUNDERS!!!

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Storyteller » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:13 am

I've decided to quit Manwe. Made my last post today, now going Cold turkey.

I have downloaded Torchlight II in case I feel like slaying monsters, so I should be fine.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:21 am

Story.... :D I shall have to go to Manwe and find your last post. It's for the best. That place can get your blood pressure up sometimes.

Sooooo Wenchie is still with us. 8) 8) 8)
Glad your job is looking better. They usually have some rough patches at first. As for stairwell guy, take some food with you. Wouldn't hurt to make friends.

Like Calma said...Happy weekend. I have some running around to do. And mulching in the yard. And stuff. There is always stuff. :P

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Storyteller » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:28 am

Tookish_Traveler wrote:Story.... :D I shall have to go to Manwe and find your last post. It's for the best. That place can get your blood pressure up sometimes.

Wasn't a profound last post or anything. I don't do grand exits.
"...Their aim in war with Germany is nothing more, nothing less than extermination of Hitlerism... There is absolutely no justification for this kind of war. The ideology of Hitlerism, just like any other ideological system, can be accepted or rejected, this is a matter of political views. But everyone grasps, that an ideology can not be exterminated by force, must not be finished off with a war.” - Vyacheslav Molotov, ""On the Foreign Policy of the Soviet Union", 31 October 1939
Storyteller
Mariner

Postby Cock-Robin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:38 am

I rarely visit Manwe. I would probably get eaten alive if I go there, but it's good for some.

I love french toast, too!

Meneldor, Warrior Bard, and Brondgast, Mithril Knights

Gwaeryn and Robin, The Expected Party

Meneldor, Alatar and Pallando, Darkness Reigns: The Resistance

Warrior Bard
Cock-Robin
Friend of Eagles

Postby Vanaladiel » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:14 am

I quit going to Manwe a long time ago. I got tired of everyone yelling and no one listening so I left. I don't need the aggravation anyways.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby SilverScribe » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:11 pm

Wenchie!! Wow, cool new job but how sad about the homeless person. Probably harmless but better to be safe than sorry.

Story, I have rarely ever gone to Manwe and still don't much. Too much highly political poop (that quite frankly would be better suited to any one of a zillion true "political" messageboards and not a Tolkien one but meh, that's only my .02 ;) ). And I just don't have the time or inclination to have my day ruined by people who argue the same tired crap over and over and over and over and over and . . . well, you get the idea. ;) Life's too short. :D

Okay . . . soooooo, the promised little "roadtrip" via a buncha photographs from our vacation to Maui back in April . . . :whistle: Getting them sized and uploaded to photobucket was one of those "to do" thingies I had on my list that for some reason, I just could not seem to get to . . . :blush:

But here it is, the end of September :shock: and not only has the spring gone into the West, but the summer too. So, without further ado, here's some glimpses of where we were, what we saw, even though I doubt we conquered anything bigger than a tropical drink, LOLOL . . .

Our first sunrise, with the backside of Haleakala to the right. This view is pretty much what everyone sees from the Ma'alaea Bay condo complexes since they're all designed to have this view from the living room / lanai. We had a different condo this year from last year, and were delighted to see we had a pretty nice pool with a view . . . ;)

The Trade Winds were unusually fierce this year, so grabbing bit of sun in the large garden area next to the sea wall was very breezy - as you can see from the palm trees. But I'll take it over Edmonton in April any day, LOL.

No trip to Maui would be complete without a visit round the Bay to famous Kihei and all those beaches! This is just one of the places we snorkelled . . . and saw sea turtles! (Sorry, didn't get turtle photos.)

This year we decided to go and explore a bit of "Upcountry" which is pretty much everything that exists on the slopes of Haleakala Crater. But we had a specific destinationin mind and after driving up the crater and stopping to admire the view of Ma'alaea Bay from a different perspective, we continued on to the Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm . . .

I apologize for the extreme poor quality of these photos, for some reason my Blackberry camera is VERY picky and even the tiniest movement made for fairly blurry results. Seems to me it was rather windy that day too but then again, maybe it was just the Margaritas . . . ;) The Lavender Gardens are HUGE and full of unusual objects and views.

There was also a lot more than lavender growing there. There wasn't enough time (or juice in my phone battery) to get photos of the thousands of varieties, so I just snapped a few favourites, like this Bird of Paradise and a pink Protea. I discovered a Red Protea growing in the middle of a huge lavender planting . . . the contrast was interesting.

Every pathway led to a different, beautiful setting like this one, with tons of plant varieties that I couldn't even begin to identify, much less name. ;)

Along with lavender and other flowers, there were sections with beautiful trees and shrubs that were also a riot of colour.

And of course, many areas of the gardens boasted stunning views of the lower slopes and the Bay.

After visiting the Gift Shop (where I resisted buying a buncha stuff I'd never use ;) ), it was home again, home again, jiggedy jig - to find the sun again, even if the winds (and the surf) were still quite high. ;)

At least once a week, we also drove across the island to the old Whaling town of Lahaina. Unfortunately, one of the days we went it was "Ship Day" when the Cruise Ships anchor in Lahaina harbour and a gazzillion tourists are brought in by smaller boats (can't remember what those silly boats are called now . . . packet boats?)

Another favourite pastime (aside from golf for the guys) was reef and beach walking. In the mornings when the tide has just gone out, there are tons of tidal pools exposed on the lava shelves (that form the basis for the reefs around much of the island.) I managed to get a shot of three amigos (and a bit of my thumb :roll: ) in one pool; two black, spiny starfish and a black sea urchin. One starfish is fully visible, but there's another hiding near the bottom of the picture, you can just see a bit of two of his(her?) arms . . .

*sigh* Well, that's about it for the Maui Roadtrip for 2012. Hope y'all enjoyed a wee, teeny, tiny slice of one of the Hawai'an Islands.

And now, like Tooks, I should go and see about some . . . stuff.

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby notlistening » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:46 pm

Hey gang, how is your weekend progressing? I'm halfway through mine and still have monday to go! 3 day weekends are nice but you have to work hard to get them. Just got back from the pool where I did a personal best of 1300m. No idea what that is in feet.

Say, are American pools set in meters so you know what to race in the Olympics? Just wondering that???

Yah for da wench's new job going well. And sad about the homeless person. Breaks the heart to know there are people without somewhere to go. :(

I steer clear of Manwe. They are hostile in there. :shock:

Nice road trip, Scribbly one. :thumb:

Must think about what to do for MOME. It starts tomorrow! eeek! And I've not a thing to wear...

Fell Beasts rule!
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:31 am

Say, are American pools set in meters so you know what to race in the Olympics? Just wondering that???

Most newer pools are in meters, nl. The one I swim in is 25 metters long. Lessee..... approx. 1600 meters is approx a mile. I do the 1600 meters about 3 times a weeks. That is my plan for this morning too. Once I wake up a bit. :P

Scribbles! I haven't view the Hawaiian tour yet. I am saving it to savor it, once I'm done posting. :D

MoME... tomorrow????

eek indeed! :shock:

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Calma » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:27 am

oooOOooo, Scribles lovely scenery.
Thanks for the Hawaiian tour. :thumbsup:

Happy Sunday to ya!
nl, enjoy your Monday off. :D
Three day weekends are marvelous.
Last edited by Calma on Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Join the funWith The TVM

SOUNDERS!!!

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby rowanberry » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:18 am

Nice photos, Scribbles! 8)

Wenchie! :hug:

So, I'm back from my weekend trip. It was nice to see old classmates from the uni again. But, last night was a bit short so, I'm off to bed early this evening.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:11 am

Gah!!!!

MoME is here!!!!

*runs screaming from the thread*

here!!!

Tookish_Traveler
Party-monger

Postby Calma » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:43 am

Tookish_Traveler wrote:Gah!!!!

MoME is here!!!!

*runs screaming from the thread*

*hastily constructs a web of duct tape...trips Tooks on her way out... catches her in the web of tape...*

Oh no you don't, dearie.
You got us all into this you will stick it out with the rest of us.

Happy Monday to all of ya!

Later...

Join the funWith The TVM

SOUNDERS!!!

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Frelga » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:36 am

Argh, I wasn't able to post on TORC all weekend. Either the site won't load, or it times out before I can post a reply. 

Scribbles, we went to the lavender farm when we were in Maui. Lovely place, so serene. :) 

Wenchie, hope they make a nice workplace for you soon. As for the homeless person, I agree, better safe than sorry. Sad as it is, homelessness can go together with addiction and mental illness, which can make people unpredictable. 

On that note, my son is off with his class for a week of "service learning," which involves working at shelters and/or missions, as well as some fun and educational activities. Good for him, I suppose, although I am a nervous wreck already.  
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:38 am

Nice pics, Scribbles. :D

Story, I can't blame you. :hug:

:hihi:

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby notlistening » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Calma, my sweet, you wanted to know what "Looper" was like? It was well done and clever but I really didn't like any of the characters. Nearly everyone was horrible and I felt disconnected from the film, if that makes sense and therefore didn't care what happened to any of them. They did a good job of making Joseph GL look like a young Bruce though. But don't let my review put you off.

Tuesday here. Back at work again.

Fell Beasts rule!
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Calma » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks, nl. I've heard people liked and didn't like it.
I'll rent it from Netflix.

Join the funWith The TVM

SOUNDERS!!!

Image Rock On!
Calma