The Merry Bowmen of Dale II - May be locked

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Canamarth » Sat May 07, 2005 12:10 pm

Yep, I have to agree, the topics aren't half bad - I chose them myself after all. But still, if you have to read all that stuff about it ... I'm sure you all know how it is. But it's all over on Monday. For better or worse.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Scribbles » Tue May 10, 2005 8:35 pm

Canamarth wrote: But it's all over on Monday. For better or worse.

Oh, that sounds like great news to me!! Does that mean we'll see the return of our intrepid Mistress Archer? LOL!! I expect you will come dancing in the door yelling FREEEEEDOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

:D:D:D
Scribbles
Shield Bearer

Postby Canamarth » Thu May 12, 2005 1:45 pm

*takes a deep breath*
F...... No. Not quite. Still evil exam lurking in August. So I'm not quite free yet. But I get to have a breather.
And it's over for better (not worse). :D
And I finally get to read something I don't have to read. Started Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell just after the exam - and it's fantastic. I can only recommend that book. Anyone else here read it already?
And I get to go out to various Tolkien events again. This weekend one just around the corner from where I live. And I was asked to write the quiz for them. That was so much fun. Life has me again! :)
And yeah, it's pretty easy to make me happy.
Now I only wish to see more of youse guys popping in here again. ;)
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Impenitent » Thu May 12, 2005 7:12 pm

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell has been the best read I've had for years. I think it's well on it's way to being a stalwart on my repetitive reading list and I suspect will be recognised as a slow-burn classic.

It's very, very long, and so obviously inspired by the structure and language of 19th century English novels (especially Jane Austen! :D - delicious language!).

A wonderful book! It really is.
Impenitent
Rider of the Mark

Postby Scribbles » Fri May 13, 2005 10:36 pm

Ah, a breather is always nice. August is a ways away so . . . :)

And if you'll be popping in more often I'm sure the rest will too ;):D Hmmm, must add that book to my list. LOL, the stack is growing ever higher . . . just the way I like it.

Scribbles
Shield Bearer

Postby Canamarth » Thu May 19, 2005 2:10 am

Finished the book in only four days. Now I'm on to one of Mark Twain's travel burlesques. And after that, I think I'll have to return to study things. :(

I was so happy these exams were over and thought to come back and write a lot here. Unfortunately, I'm swamped with other work - like putting lots and lots of DVDs into a catalogue and on the shelf + all the books/videos/odd stuff that I found while moving stuff out and into the AMC (the place I work at). :roll: But I have a nice new room now with new furniture and new printer (one that actually works), so I shouldn't complain, really.
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby Canamarth » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:21 am

Still alive, though swamped with revision work and busy in other aspects of my life as well. It's all gone topsy-turvy these past months and I don't really know where I have my head these days. Just wanted to tell you I still have fond memories of this place, though I don't know when I'll be able to return proper.

And then there's something else. Already posted it in the events forum. But maybe you know someone who knows someone who... you know. :)

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the conference in Birmingham as my mom broke her hand and needs help at home. That's why I have to pass the ticket on to somebody else. Your advantage: Those who book now (if that is still possible at all) have to pay 105 € (= 70 Pound = 135 $), whereas my ticket (which was preordered almost a year ago cost me 85 € (= 60 Pound, 115 $). You'd have to find accomodation yourself. So, where's the rub? It's already next weekend (11.-15.08.) .

Here more info on the event:

2005 is the fiftieth anniversary of the complete publication of The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien. The first two volumes (The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers) were published in 1954, while the third, The Return of the King, was published on October 20th 1955.

To celebrate this anniversary the Tolkien Society is holding a conference and convention in August 2005. It is taking place at Aston University, Birmingham, England from 11 to 15 August 2005.

The programme:

The programme will consist of a variety of papers, panels, lectures, slide-shows and the like; these will mainly take place during the morning and afternoon. In addition there will be a number of events and other entertainments. These will take place mostly in the evening, though there will be one or two during the day-time.

Timetable Information
A number of people have asked for details of the timetable. However, this won't be available until the event itself. This is simply because of the large number of streams that need to be timetabled. We are still receiving details of many presentations, so the timetable is changing daily. Indeed at events of this scale it is normal for the timetable to change during the event.

There are, however, a number of things that we are intending to keep fixed:

Registration
Thursday morning and afternoon.

There will also be Pre-Registration during Wednesday afternoon for those who will be arriving early. Please advise us in advance if you wish to pre-register. Anybody who pre-registers is likely to be expected to help set-up in some way.

Opening Ceremony
Thursday evening.

Farmer Giles of Ham play performances
Late Thursday evening and early Friday evening.

Drama Workshops
Daily, in the morning, Friday to Monday.

One workshop will be specifically for children, though their parents should also attend as it is not intended to be a crèche.

Places are limited, pre-booking is advised; places can be booked at Registration.

Birmingham Coach Tour
Friday afternoon.

The Reduced Silmarillion Company
Friday evening.

Costume Extravaganza
Saturday evening.

There will be technical rehearsals for the Costume Extravaganza during the Saturday afternoon. These will be about ten-minutes in duration. Places will be booked at Registration on a first-come, first-served basis.

The Costume Extravaganza will be preceded by a Presentation Workshop, probably on the Friday morning. This workshop is recommended for those who are unfamiliar with showing costumes, or anybody wishing to improve their skills in this area. Places are limited and preference will be given to those entering the Costume Extravaganza.

Oxford Coach Trip
Sunday morning and afternoon.

Mythopoeic Society Awards
Sunday evening.

Closing Ceremony
Monday afternoon.

We are arranging four streams of presentations: two of more "academic" material and two "informal"; in addition there will be a video stream, Dealers' Room & Art Show, a room for signings and other smaller activities and a fan display area. Not everything will be open all the time, but there will be plenty for everybody to do at all times.

Each stream will be split into a number of one-hour time-slots; the time-slots in one stream will start and finish at the same time as the corresponding time-slots in the other streams. All presentations will fit into a multiple, or sub-division, of a slot. There are a number of shorter papers; there will be two papers per time-slot. All the Lectures, Slide-shows and Panels will be allocated a whole time-slot each.

Themes
The following themes have emerged, though they may still change.

Adaptation
Art & Illustration
Education
Environment & Ecology
Faërie
Faith & Religion
Fantasy
Film – Jackson
History
Inklings
Language
Literature
Middle-earth
Mortality & Immortality
Music & Poetry
Myth
Narrative
Nationalism
Origins
Philosophy
The Silmarillion & Unfinished Tales
Technology
Tolkien's Legacy
Tolkien's Life
Translations
War
There is some cross-over between several of the themes and several items could easily fit into more than one theme. For instance, "Female Heroes" could fit into either the Gender or the Heroes theme. There are also a number of excellent items that are proving very difficult to categorise!

It is the intention to schedule all the presentations in each theme consecutively. However, as a number of themes have many contributions it is not possible to do this in all cases; in such instances they will be split into two or more groups and scheduled accordingly. Conversely, there are themes that only have a very small number of contributions. For instance, Literature currently has about 7 hours and Education about 2 hours.

Meals
Lunch
will be available on site in the Main Building.

Times: 11:30am to 2:30pm

Dinner
for those who have pre-booked the Dinner package this will also be on site, adjacent to the accommodation.

Times: 6pm to 8pm

The programme will continue during meal times, though not all the streams will be running.

Light refreshments and drinks will be available most of the time during the day. There will be a bar available in the evening; there is also a pub close by on the University campus.

For more info: http://www.tolkiensociety.org/2005/about.html
Canamarth
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:02 pm

Scribbles wrote:- will the drinking constest EVER end?
- will the missing Bowmen return from the black hole they seem to have fallen into and can't get out of?
- will the Mistress Archer ace all her exams?
- will elengil's character EVER get introduced?
- will the Pillow of Dale make a case for himself and prove he has the right stuffing?
- will the Scribe get punted out of the Guildhouse for such abominable puns?

Stay tuned for the next exciting episodes in . . . . . All My Bowmen . . . :P

Hmmm, seems like All My Bowmen has turned into All My Cobwebs . . .
where the heck is everyone?

Let's see . . .
- yes, the drinking contest ended but the winners fell asleep
- the black hole is still there, must speak to Maintenance
- elengil's character might be locked in the cloak room by mistake . . . must look into that.
- the Pillow of Dale has disappeared, there don't appear to be any leads in the case either.
- no one is here to punt the Scribe . . . so there. Y'all have to live with my bad puns.

puts two fingers in her mouth and whistles sharply. A legion of Dolly Dwarves show up and begin dusting, sweeping and tidying up. Snoring drunkards are carried off to their rooms and the kitchen fires are fired up . . . soon the smell of coffee and Dale Danish fill the air . . .

SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby SmaugsBane » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:19 pm

Well, well. It's good to see this place still standing. And newly cleaned up.

*Kicks Lys in the shin as he lays passed out upon a soft tufted sofa. He stirs slightly, murmurs some nonsense about weak-stomached elves and resumes snoring.*

Some things never change.
SmaugsBane
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:34 pm

*sniff sniff*

Bardy forces her eyelids open from what was ONE HELLUVA LONG SLEEP

OOooh, is that DALE DANISH I smell ??

And COFFEE!! Hehehehe....Ooh, I hope the Scribe didn't make it.

Greetings all. I am also pleased to find this fine hall still standing. It has been a long strange trip for me of late - one that I hope has not estranged me too far from the kind and gentle hearts of those I still call friends.

~ B
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Rholarowyn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:58 pm

Whoa...

:shock:

Bardy it's good to see you. How have you been?

:)

So True the Arrow, So Steady the Hand

No word in your quiver goes errant,
no thought from your bow is misspent,
no image falls short of your target,
so true are the arrows thus sent.
Your heart with a steady compunction
pulls the bowstrings few others could ply,
your story does more than just function--
your steady hand helps my heart fly!

Thank you Parm for your wonderful poem. :heart:

Sharing another adventure with Eari in the Scriptorium: Once There Were Words
Rholarowyn
Warrior Bard of the White Tower

Postby Ivriniel » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:48 pm

Hello there, Merry Bowmen.

Are you sure it's a good idea to advertise that you're mostly passed out? It might encourage the Corsairs to come in and attempt to pick your pockets. :D

Just passing through,

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:51 pm

Ah! RHO!
What a delight to 'see' a friendly face, as it were. Gives the woman a huge hug

I am well and there have been many changes in my life. More to come, too.
I've been lurking a bit and read there has been many changes for you, too. Non? All good ones, I hope.

And welcome to you, Ivriniel. It has been many a long month since I graced (?) these heroic halls but I think I can still offer hospitality on behalf of the King's Bowmen.

As for the Corsairs, they would first have to make their way inland to Dale - an arduous course on foot, I may add - and next, take us on.

And I assure you The Bowmen, and friends thereof, are not to be undersestimated. :wink:

So stay a while, new friend and please indulge two old friends as the reaquaint themselves.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Ivriniel » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:17 pm

Bardhwyn wrote:
And welcome to you, Ivriniel. It has been many a long month since I graced (?) these heroic halls but I think I can still offer hospitality on behalf of the King's Bowmen.

As for the Corsairs, they would first have to make their way inland to Dale - an arduous course on foot, I may add - and next, take us on.

Duh! I was going to say Mordorians, but then I thought Corsairs was funnier, them being pirates and all. I forgot you guys were in Dale. :)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:25 pm

ARGGGHHH!! Pirates! Six months at sea, hardy-har-har!

No worries, friend. Some of my most beloved fantasy men are pirates. :wink:

Darn.

Did I just write that out loud? I did, didn't I?

Calls out towards the kitchens:

"Oi! Where are you, you slaggard! I tell you, you can't find good Dwarven help these days."

Hollers out toward the kitchens a second time...

MEAD! A flagon of it for me, Rho and Amrothian!"
Last edited by Bardhwyn on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Ivriniel » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:32 pm

Bardhwyn wrote:ARGGGHHH!! Pirates! Six months at sea, hardy-har-har!

No worries, friend. Some of my most beloved fantasy men are pirates. :wink:

Darn.

Did I just write that out loud? I did, didn't I?

I just went to a Pirate Festival last weekend. It was great fun. :)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:47 pm

Ivriniel wrote:
I just went to a Pirate Festival last weekend. It was great fun. :)

Ivriniel

"Pirate Festival! Reeeallly, now?" Bardy grabs the tray out of Oi's startled hands and drops it unceremoniously onto one of the Hall's long tables. She stops the Dwarf by the collar of his leather jerkin.

"Bring lemonade." She whispered.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Ivriniel » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:02 pm

Bardhwyn wrote:"Pirate Festival! Reeeallly, now?" Bardy grabs the tray out of Oi's startled hands and drops it unceremoniously onto one of the Hall's long tables. She stops the Dwarf by the collar of his leather jerkin.

"Bring lemonade." She whispered.

Yup. Check out http://www.thepiratefestival.com. Similiar to a Renaissance Festival. Having it at Fort York made for great fun, since the regular historical reinactors were still going around dressed up as British Soldiers. It was particularly funny when you saw the Red Coats taking pictures of the pirates, and the pirates taking pictures of the Red Coats. :)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:20 pm

Ah, yes those anachronisms are often very funny. :)

Bardy drops onto a bench, small pewter cup of mead in hand as Oi silently leaves the pitcher of lemonade next to her. The Archer slides the pitcher of lemonade towards her guest.

Help yourself, Ivri - you don't mind if I call you Ivri? I'll just poke around this web link...ooh, ok "What is my Pirate Name?" This I gotta find out.

AVAST, YE BLAGGARDS!

I am The Dread Pirate Rackham !!! ARGGGHHH!
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Ivriniel » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:33 pm

Bardhwyn wrote:Ah, yes those anachronisms are often very funny. :)

Bardy drops onto a bench, small pewter cup of mead in hand as Oi silently leaves the pitcher of lemonade next to her. The Archer slides the pitcher of lemonade towards her guest.

Help yourself, Ivri - you don't mind if I call you Ivri? I'll just poke around this web link...ooh, ok "What is my Pirate Name?" This I gotta find out.

AVAST, YE BLAGGARDS!

I am The Dread Pirate Rackham !!! ARGGGHHH!

Ivri's fine. :)

Ivriniel pours some lemonade into a cup and takes a sip.

I guess we must be related somehow because my pirate name is Black Mary Rackham! :)

Ivriniel
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:41 pm

Well then, to our secret Pirate Identities!!

Lifts her cup...

RACKHAMS UNITE!
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Ivriniel » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:22 pm

Ivriniel clicks her lemonade glass with Bardhwyn's.

To the Rackhams!
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:23 pm

The Scribe may be mostly passed out, but there's nothing wrong with her hearing . . . well, except that it kicked in too late . . . she raises her head and what appears to her astonished eyes, but . . .

Bardy?

BARDY!!!!!!

Y'know, if I wasn't such a curmudgeon, I'd swing you around the Hall in a pale but spirited imitation of one of Fala's Happy Elf Dances . . . ;) :D:D:D

collars Oi and whispers in his hairy little ear . . . two minutes later he hurries back with a large flagon overflowing with frothy, nut brown ale

Aaahhh, now this is just like old times! And is that Rho I see as well?? rubs her eyes vigorously . . . Well I'll be an orc's underpants, it IS!! Hail and hiya!!

Ah, and I see you've met Ivriniel. She's a member of the Canadian Guild too doncha know . . . waves at Ivriniel Nice to see you here too . . .

SilverScribe

Postby Ivriniel » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:25 pm

Hi SilverScribe. I just kinda wandered in, and next thing I know I'm drinking lemonade. Friendly people these Bowmen of Dale. :)

Ivriniel offers the pitcher of lemonade to SilverScribe.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:27 pm

Ah yes, the men of Dale are certainly welcoming type folks, and the women ain't so bad either, I hear . . . ;)

Lemonade? cringes Nevah touch the stuff . . . but thanks anyway . . .

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Bardhwyn » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:44 pm

Bardy almost snorts mead out her nose.

Go on, Ivri, offer her some chocolate. :P

On second thought, no, don't.

YES! Tis I! Back from my long travels, the tales of which I shall keep for another time for they are sombre in the telling and we are here, now together and all are healthy and well, as far as I can tell.

Looks hard at the Peredhel's wedding ring finger and determines no male, first or second born, has yet managed to tame The Scribe. Then again, no man has tamed The Archer!

So let's live up to our namesake, shall we? The 'MERRY' bit of the namesake, not the Bowmen bit. I don't quite feel like bow practice.

Funny, but Oi's ears ARE quite hairy, aren't they? I've not noticed that before.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:15 pm

notices the Archer's glance and winces inwardly. Ah yes, the tale of Facade will have to wait for another night, perhaps in front of a roaring fire . . .

clinks flagon to mead goblet

Yes, merry is exactly what we shall be tonight. Let tomorrow take care of itself then, eh wot? ;) More ale! More mead! More ripe meat off the bone!

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
Fur meine Mutter . . . Sie sind für immer in meinem Herzen . . .

A song for our Fallen, but not Forgotten . . . Galadriel's Lament
SilverScribe

Postby Frelga » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:56 pm

Frelga pokes her nose into the strange thread only to find...

BARDHWYN!

What a pleasure to see you! This calls for an ale. OK, then. I call for an ale.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Bardhwyn » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:04 am

Then ALE it shall be.

OI! ALE! Muttered grumbling is heard from the kitchen.

Hail and well met, Frelga of the Mark! She considers asking after another Rohirrim but decides better of it.

So, what news, friends? Regale me! I am a good listener.

Say, has the Mistress or Master Archer been seen lately?

Looks about, sees lots of dust cloths thrown over bits of furniture.

Seems we need to do some livening up of the place.
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby SilverScribe » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:06 pm

Bardhwyn wrote:So, what news, friends? Regale me! I am a good listener.

Say, has the Mistress or Master Archer been seen lately?

Looks about, sees lots of dust cloths thrown over bits of furniture.

Seems we need to do some livening up of the place.

Erm uh, yeah, the place sort of did slide a bit . . . but don't look at me! I hired a cleaning crew, but it looks like Drudges 'R Us haven't lived up to their advertisements . . . ;) Ah well, I'll lay about with the old broadsword next time I pass by their home office . . . :D:D:D

The Master Archer has gone on a ramble, haven't seen him about. The Mistress Archer, last I read, was neck deep in the hoopla of real life and her presence hasn't graced these halls recently either. 'Tis a sadly depleted company, but the kegs of ale and wine have kept cool in the cellars and the kitchens aren't TOO big a shambles, at least last time I looked . . . ;) Oh, but there is good news, there's been several SB sightings, and he now has a son! :D

glances to where the serving dwarves are swarming around a sideboard

Mmmmm, homemade nachos! Don't know about you, but sleeping off a bit of ale always leaves me starving . . .

SilverScribe

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive