Costumers Guild

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:09 pm

Yeah, it's the link in my sig, Sil. Between that and 8-bit theater, I'm slowly corrupting all of TORC. Mwahahahahaha. =:)

And beautiful garb!!

I've been sewing again!! Non-costumey clothes, though. I'm currently making myself a sleeveless linen tunic-y thing. And today I started a bag from the leftovers because I didn't feel like sewing zippers today. :P :D But at least I'm sewing again!
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:20 am

SMOR-- Ooooooooooohhh yeah! I have heard the song! My brother has that on our computer.. it's been there a long time, slowly corrupting our family. :D Good song :rofl:

Mith-- Ooooooh, pretty shirt! Me likey! I'll send you a digital camera and you can take pictures! :D

Off to sew some more.. I have to do the chemise and hem the veil, and I will be DONE DONE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! w00t!
...well, done done done with round one (one one)

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Gwenare » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:50 pm

Hey everyone! My name is Gwen. I know a few here in this thread. I have a question.

My husband, Dan on TORC, and I are planning on making some Jedi costumes. Do you have any ideas for patterns or fabrics? We have found a few, but we are still looking.

Thanks

Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:52 pm

Hey Gwen! :D :D :D

I know several of these folk have made Jedi costumes, so I'll let them help you, as I don't have any experience with it. :)

Well, I sort of lied. I didn't get any sewing done today.

BUT!!!

I messed with my new machine for AGES. It's SO awesome. It has all these decorative stitches... I can make little diamonds and little scalloped stitches... There's even one stitch that looks like a vine! I'm going to take some pictures to show y'all, but the camera is missing again B^ so it'll have to wait. But it's so amazing!! I'm thrilled!!!
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Aurelin » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Welcome, Gwen! :) Since I have not done any Jedi robes and other here have, I'll let the experts speak :P...

Sil - the garb is awesome! Nice colour, it somehow spells royal although it is not the tone they call royal blue.

I bet the shirt looks very nice, Mith! I love the pattern.

Yeah, I'll try to fulfil my promise of the pics this time. First it means getting the film full (not that big a problem, I just need to take more clothes to the coutryside) and then the scanning part that I should get to do at my mom's work-place.

Do you mainly do all bags from a pattern, SMOR, or do you just put those "creatively" together?

:is envious of Luthy and her fancy machine:

:roll: Aurelin :roll:
Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:41 pm

Hey, Gwen! Glad you found it!
I've never really made a Jedi costume myself (well, there was the time I did a Princess Leia, but it was very last minute so my costume consisted of a bathrobe over an old costume... :roll: ), but I have used Simplicity 5840 (it's second one down, black cape-looking thing.) If you click on the pattern it shows the rest of the costumes in that pattern. I used the blue cape one to make the green cape that Wimsie's wearing in her sig pic. They used to have a second pattern that looked like some of Padme's dresses, but it's not on the site anymore. Might still be at stores. Hope that helps!

Aurelin- for bags, I can generally draw my own pattern. Or just cut rectangles. I'm almost done with the one I'm making now... except I sewed the lining in the wrong way. *is currently ripping out* :P
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby GwenElf » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:09 pm

Hiya Gwen!! Welcome to the guild! Pull up a sewing table and a machine and a nice pneumatic chair! :D

I've never made Jedi robes either, but the pattern that SMOR linked is generally the "Jedi basis pattern". I'd also recommend checking out this site which has a lot of info for making SW costumes. :)
As for fabric.. there's some reallllyy nice linen blend stuff at Hancock's right now that I would suggest for Jedi costumes, but if you have a Hancock's, there's no guarantee they'd have it.

Ok, so I thought my garb would be all done by tonight.. but I still have to hem the dumb veil. But that's all!! And then it will be done! :D

~Sil
GwenElf
Ringbearer

Postby Gwenare » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:12 pm

Smor thanks. That is the pattern that we have, but we had heard that there was a better one. This one should do the trick for us though. What kind of fabric did you use for the cloaks? In Wimsie's sig her cloak looks shiny. Thanks,

Gwen :)
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:13 pm

Wimsie's cloak was made from some stretchy crushed velvet (also called panne). We call it her all-purpose Elven Jedi cloak. ;)
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:23 pm

I second the recommendation of the Padawan's guide!

Basically, Jedi robes have infinite variations, so as long as you aren't trying to recreate a particular character's exactly, you can do pretty much whatever you want ;).

I have made myself a Jedi outfit, but I will fess up (up front) that I used material that was given to me and made my own patterns. So, I'm not sure how helpful that will be!

Pieces:
    cloak (really, a robe)
    tunic
    under-tunic
    tabards
    obi (belt)
    pants
    boots
    light-saber

The robe should be brown, if possible. The ones in the movie are made of wool. Unless you happen to have sheep in your backyard, wool is very expensive and quite HOT to wear, so I would recommend against it. A thick flannel could work, though I would not suggest it. A bottomweight cotton or something that is heavy enough for the outermost layer (like a jacket would be) is what you are going for. Perhaps drape the fabric over your shoulder at the store and see if it works. Remember that some fabrics can be dyed, if you find one you like that just isn't brown.
As far as a pattern goes, you want something with sleeves and a hood, a front opening, and floor-length. Pick one that you like; several different patterns will give this result. I used McCalls 4340 (because I happened to have it already anyway). The sleeves would not be appropriate on that one, but could be easily modified. (To be honest, my robe did not have sleeves, because I only had 2 1/2 yards of brown fabric). The pattern you already have should work, though perhaps you would want to modify the hood.

The outer tunic should be made of a lightweight cotton, such as would be used for making shirts. I know that you can get this for about $2/yd at JoAnns or Walmart. Again, pick something you like, that has a good feel, and an acceptable color. It should be off-white, tea, or something natural looking (unless you are going for Anakin). Also, you would want something with some "crinkle" to it. A cotton or linen/cotton blend fabric will breathe. If you don't like being hot in your costume, don't choose something with polyester (or other synthetic materials)! (When you consider how many layers you will be wearing, this is not trivial). 100% linen will also breathe, but it tends to cost more.
I made my own pattern, based on directions on the site and just fooling around. For instance, I made the sleeves based on a peasant blouse I had and liked. If you are comfortable modifying patterns, choose one that has a straight hem on the bottom, long sleeves, and a "wrap" in front...such as McCalls 4779. Then, just make all the adjustment to convert it into a Jedi tunic. (This one would need longer sleeves and a longer hemline, I would think, and of course subtract the frills). Since you alreayd have Simplicity 5840, just use that and "touch up" anything that doesn't seem right. This is where the website becomes and invaluable guide - study those pictures!

For the inner tunic, the easiest way to handle this is to buy a long-sleeved V-neck t-shirt. It doesn't have to match the over-tunic, but it should at least look nice with it ;). It will only be visible near the neckline, and if you move your arms. You can also make it, of course, but it would be...overkill?

The tabards are the stole-like things that go over the shoulders and make you look all manly ;). They should be made from the exact same material as the overtunic (unless you are Anakin, in which case....leather), though probably of a double thickness. If you are asking, "what the heck are tabards???", look at this pic of Anakin, and then this one. As you can see, he wears two long strips of material that go under his belt.
The easiest way to handle this is to make your own pattern. Take some newspaper taped together (or brown paper), and hold it up to yourself. Figure out how wide your shoulder is, and mark where you'd cut it off. Then, figure out how long you'd like them to be. They should go at least to the end of the tunic in the front, and at least to the belt in the back, but they can be a bit longer. Personal preference ;). Cut out the newspaper, and then put it on to see if it works...with the belt.

Obi (cloth belt)
Should be made of the same material as the tunic, but probably you'd want to add some interfacing to stiffen it up a bit. Also, consider making it of double thickness. I should mention that I was using corduroy for all of this (rather than cotton/linen), because that is what I had (can't argue with free fabric!)
There is a pattern for making your own obi on the site...somewhere. Even though I know I used it, I can't find it! Basically, you can either make it a wide band that goes around your waist and fastens in the back (velcro), or you can make it so that it will wrap around more that once and tie in the front (more authentic).
Either way, you then put a leather belt on top, so you have something to hang your lightsaber on.

Just wear a pair of appropriately colored khaki pants, preferably nothing baggy or with (visible) pockets.

The boots should be knee-high brown leather riding boots. Anything that gives that "feel" will work, though.

The lightsaber can be purchased (plastic), or constructed from spare parts you pick up at a plumbing/hardware store. Again, personal preference.

I hope that overview helps...if you have any particular questions, feel free to ask.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Gwenare » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:50 am

Thanks so much guys! This has helped a lot.

I don't have a machine of my own. ( I have my greatgrandmother's antique Singer, but I won't be using it even though it does work. :) )

I have to use my mom's or mother-in-law's machine! At least I have access to one.

We are going to town Saturday with his mother. She was born with a sewing needle and thread in her hand. :) She would make them for us, but I want to do it myself! :) Maybe she can help us find some fabrics too. We've found some at WM, but of course, they didn't have enough! :bang: That's what Dan felt like doing. It was so sad! :( I'm sure Luthy and Smor would have loved to seen that! Sorry I didn't take pics! :rofl:

Smor, I will make a different cloak for my elven costume (when I get to it). I'm still thinking about the colors for it. I have two elven dresses in mind. I guess I'll do the easiest one first and then do the other. :wink: Of course, this will probably not happen until next year. I know it won't.

Thanks again everybody! I really appreciate all the help.
Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:22 pm

Mith - wow that was thorough! :)

Yeah, I'd suggest that order for the elven dresses as well, Gwen! There is a chance also that you can use (part of) the pattern of the one dress for the other since the elven dresses are more or less shaped the same way with little differences. (I think you can gather that I have made more Elven costumes than Jedi ones! ;))

:P about the lining of the bag, SMOR (happens to me a lot, the other fun thing is sewing the sleeve on with the wrong side outside)! For some reason drafting my own pattern for bags has been so far beyond me. I guess it is a matter of lack of practice and nothing more.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Gwenare » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:48 pm

Thanks Aurelin. I will remember that when I do start on those dresses. I hope you won't regret telling me. :wink: It will be awhile, so don't worry.
:)
Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:17 pm

Oh, costumes are allowed to take a long while. But, they'll never happen if you don't think about them, so it is good to think now, and start planning ahead....

Speaking of which, how is your refugee-coat coming, Aurelin?

I would recommend making the elven cloak before either of the elven dresses, just because cloaks are easier. They aren't fitted, so you are really only adjusting them to your shoulders and your height - no fuss about the waist or bust. They do require a lot of fabric, of course, but I still consider them an easier project, with the trickiest part being the hood (I've only done one hood, myself, though I've made....5 cloaks...in the past 8 mo. ;) ) But as you said, you won't be doing any of those right away.

It is good you have a mother-in-law at hand to help you out!

Oh, and I did manage to surprise Dan by knowing about this project. It seems he has a duel identity as Sith/Jedi ;).
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby undomiel » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:01 am

Hello, Gwenare. :) I just made Jedi costumes using simplicity 5840 for my husband and I. It makes a nice looking costume, even if it isn't completely authentic. The robe in that pattern looks awesome. I just didn't attach the extra shoulder thingy. I used a brown "linen look" fabric and it looked and felt great. It was alot cheaper than the real linen that I bought for the tunic and didn't fray nearly as much. Were I to do it again I wouldn't buy linen or "linen look" fabric for the tunic. I would have tried to find some crinkle cotton, but I was short on time. Remember that you can always order more fabric. The tunic in 5840 looks good, but it was designed for a man and it doesn't lay quite right on me. My husband loves his though. Good luck with your costumes. :)

Well, I've been busy moving and haven't had any time for sewing. Incidentally, our Ren Fest costumes are not going to be ready for this weekend. :( But we'll be going to another Ren Fest later in the summer and they WILL be ready by then! I was thinking about postponing this trip to another weekend so I could make them, but I need a vacation badly. I love our new house, but it's an awful lot of trouble being a homeowner. ;)

Can anyone please tell me how to get pictures up on your website? I don't know how to show them to you otherwise. :(
Last edited by undomiel on Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:04 am

Undi, what's your email address? I can email you the login and password for the site. :) You'll have to create your own little page and then you can do whatever you want with it -- it's pretty easy once you figure it out. :)

Edit -- :doh: I know your email address B^

*brain has imploded*

I'll email it to you shortly. B^
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Gwenare » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:21 am

Mith: Dan has what is called mutliple character identity disorder. :) He can't decide if he wants to be a Jedi :), Sith :evil: , or a Rihirrim :horse: . Go figure! :wink:

I was thinking of doing the cloaks first. I have a better idea of what I want with them anyway. My brain is in hyperdrive! :woah: That's not a good thing!

Undi: Thanks for the advice on material. We found some at the Big WM last night. We didn't buy anything because I want to make sure it is the right stuff first. We found the perfect colors though. I remember someone telling me that some fabrics can be dyed. I've kept that in mind, but I have never done this before. If anything has advice on that, please share. :)

As luck would have it, I found the perfect fabric at WM for my Elven dresses. It's just the wrong color! I don't think this fabric can be dyed either. I was disappointed that they had the name of the fabric covered with a sticker. Removal was not an option. I'm still new at this and do not have a clue about what kind it is. I didn't ask about it either because I would get in the "Elven dress mode". I must stay in the "Jedi mode". :wink:

I'm going to print these posts off to take with us on Saturday. We're going to JoAnn's, so hoefully we can find something there. We may like what we've found at WM better.

Thanks again.
Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:24 am

Good luck, Gwen! :hug:

Undi, I emailed you. Guys, did you know that our second site was filled too? B^ So I made a third one so Undomiel can put her stuff up. B^

www.freewebs.com/costumers3
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:59 am

Gwen-- since when are Jedi and Rohirrim mutually exclusive? ;)

And I actually have done some fabric dying before. The basics are, it really only works with natural fibers (i.e. polyester won't dye), and don't use that RIT dye stuff because it fades really quickly. My quilting mom and I like the dye from here (kinda pricey, but they make good colors. And the site has good instructions.)

Well, I finished my bag... :) Now I'm making seat covers for Tirian. (Tirian's my car.)

Luthy-- is the site so full that I can't add pics to my own page? I do still need to put up some stuff...
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:01 am

No, there's still room for more pictures -- just no more pages. :)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Gwenare » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:13 am

Sorry Smor :wink: I forgot! :D

Thanks for the advice on dying. I think my mom's done this before, but I don't remember. I've bookmarked that website and the new costumer's website. I'll remember not to use the RIT dye.

Gwen
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby undomiel » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:15 pm

I got your email, Luthy. Thanks. I'm trying to figure it out now. I've never had a website or anything before so this is all new to me. I'm probably going to make a fool of myself. :roll:

Smor, you named your car too? Mine's Frank, after Frank Sinatra. ;)

I don't think I would ever dare dye fabric. :shock: You should have no trouble finding fabric at Joann's. My problem is going there and finding too much that I want. ;)
undomiel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:20 pm

Ok, I know this is the 2001st (edit: 2002nd in fact, Undomiel beat me ;)!)post but I thought that it would be best if someone of the more longer-time posters in this thread started the new one.

I'll try to make this quick.

Gwen - :D I'll be glad to help you once you get to the "Elven mode" (not that I proclaim myself an expert but I guess just the number of the costumes means I have maybe worked out some of the trouble-areas, I hope!)

Mith - :oops: .Well, there was a reason I did not mention my coat. I did put the buttons on but the fur hem and cord around the arm still needs to be done and it seems I won't get to it before next week (=:) work!).

Ok, I'll run now and I guess, see you all in the new thread!

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:23 pm

Yes, I know this is going over. Just letting you know I'll go ahead and start the second thread. :)

edit: it's up! See you there!
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby MithLuin » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:52 pm

*tiptoes in*

Okay, so this thread is going to be locked any minute. But, just so's you know....

THE NEW THREAD

See you there!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Daefaroth » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:51 pm

I will get the lights and the door.
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Previous

Return to The Library - General Archive