THE LOUNGE FOR BOOKWORMS 5

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Morwenna » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:05 pm

Four?! I have to get busy!! :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Arenial » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Oh yes, four indeed :D

There is also another series called Meet the Austins, or something similar to that. And, a couple other books that have the characters from The Time Quintet as well (I'm thinking of Dennys and Sandy Murphy).
Arenial
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:20 pm

Just wanted to wish all my fellow bookworms a happy Easter! :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:16 am

I hope you had a good Easter as well, Hobby! (I'm rather late since I don't get online as often as I used to anymore - and to my surprise I am not missing it. :shock: ) What did you get up to?

Mark and I didn't visit his parents and stayed at our place instead. That was quite nice too, especially since the weather was a bit better than before for a change! Yesterday was a bank holiday too so we had an extended Easter, really, and went for a long walk in the sunshine (for 4 hours!). It was so sunny and warm(ish) that I bought a pair of sandals. Of course it is going to rain the rest of the week. :P

So far I have only made little progress with Stephen King's Duma Key even though I really enjoy it. I just don't have the time to read it! :o
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:30 pm

I'm currently reading Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier which is supposedly:
A sweeping Celtic romance in the tradition of Mists of Avalon

I'm not far into it, and so haven't got to any sweeping, either romantic or otherwise! A friend bought it for me, and I discovered upon opening it that it's the first of a trilogy. *sigh* I'm beginning to detest trilogies! :D
Image<-- Merry Christmas!

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Grab a chance and you won't be sorry for the might-have-beens. - Arthur Ransome

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam EDW - March 14th 2009
In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

Photos: My Flickr Photo Collections & Wee Nell - the furry ball of mischief!

(I occasionally post as White Shadow - you've been warned!)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona
The Sexy One ~ Hellaciously Huggable

Postby Parmamaite » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:55 am

It's a good thing LotR isn't a trilogy :D
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:42 pm

Ah, but I've only ever read it as one big volume. :D Plus, the books were already published when I read them. I should have qualified my statement with "I hate trilogies where only one book is out at the moment." Also, it's nice to know when you start a book that when you get to the end, you're not going to be left hanging! :lol:

Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly; kiss slowly; love truly; laugh uncontrollably; and never regret anything that made you smile. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Just because I have the vocabulary of a well-educated sailor doesn't mean I'm not a lady.

In Memoriam rowanberry - March 1st 2014 (~In Memoriam AHH - Alfred Lord Tennyson~)

New posters, there's a Welcome and Comprehensive Guide to the Messageboard to answer your questions.
heliona

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Heliona, the book I'm reading now is like that. Luckily for me, all of the volumes are out and I have them because even after 700 pages of the first book, nothing is resolved. I feel sorry for the people who read it when only the first book was available.
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby heliona » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:37 pm

That's the worst thing, and nowadays it seems to be the modus operandi to write a series of huge novels which are essentially filled with nonsense and filler. I used to be able to cope, but now I just loose patience. I didn't get very far with George RR Martin's huge series. I just couldn't be bothered with all the new characters. I don't want to work extra hard to read my books nowadays. :D

heliona

Postby celebalqua » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:23 pm

See I love the "filler" as you describe if it is characters and character development. I love the George RR Martin because they are so SO involved. but I hate the fact he wont get off his lazy bum and write the next book. He's been promising it for almost three years and as he says himself on his website, he's lost the drive for this story!! He's writing lots of other stuff, just not A Song of fire and Ice series. :cry:

I promised myself after being totally disappointed when the Mayflower trilogy by Orson Scott Card and Katherine Kidd was never finished that I would never start and incomplete series again. but I never learn.

Cel
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:50 am

Oh no, I can't be doing with that. It's too much effort. I was fine until he went to another country and introduced all these other characters too! And then of course, he has so many he starts bumping them all off. Bah. Give me a good, one book, story any day. :)

heliona

Postby celebalqua » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:43 am

heliona wrote: Give me a good, one book, story any day. :)

But don't you just yearn for more when you finish?
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby heliona » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:32 pm

Sometimes, of course (well, most of the time!). But I prefer, one-off stories now than long, ongoing sagas. I don't mind if there are a series of one-off stories about the same bunch of characters. For example, I've recently read the first two Scott Lynch books about The Gentleman B's (the "B" word is an TOS-violating word, although a perfectly useable word in English as it means the children of parents weren't married to each other). I thought they were excellent, but both are really standalone books; you could easily read the second without having read the first to start with. So I quite like them.

But books where there is not resolving at the end I find very annoying now. If all the books have been published and I happen to own them all (hopefully only three or four) then that's fine, but not an ongoing, seriously long saga like Wheel of Time? I have better things to do with my time nowadays. :)
heliona

Postby Silwen » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:09 am

*puts a platter of profiteroles on the table for everyone before heading off again*
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby truehobbit » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:02 pm

Did all the candles fit on them? ;) :D

Happy Birthday, Silwen! :D Image

Hope you had a great day! :D
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:23 pm

Thanks, Hobby! It's been a great day and I really enjoyed it. We just had our profiteroles and Mark bought alphabet and numbers candles so I didn't get 31 of them, but 4: NM 31 - my initials and age. :lol: I never had those candles before so I really liked them. Here is a pic before we poured the chocolate sauce over the profiteroles. They were really tasty and the chocolate sauce was great too.

This is the birthday girl. :D I wanted to show off the top Mark bought me as a present.

We had a very good Indian lunch in Bath, went back to our flat there before heading back to the station to the house we are looking after for a bit at the moment. I very much enjoyed this day. :)

Edit: Hobby, I got your text earlier! Good to know I got the number right.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby truehobbit » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:05 pm

Hehe, nice birthday candles! :D

And even nicer pic of the birthday girl! :D Pretty top, but mostly I like how happy you look. 8)

(And, wow, look how the clematis are already blossoming there! :shock: :D )

(Thanks, good to know you got the text. :D )
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:09 pm

Yes, when we came to the house at the start of the week, the flowers weren't blossoming yet at all! They just exploded suddenly and I am glad I got them on the picture too. i like that garden even though it is small and needs some organising. Unfortunately it isn't our own.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Parmamaite » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:52 am

Congratulations Silwen :rose:

Nice pictures, the top suits you
Parmamaite
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:17 am

Thank you, Parma. :hug: I love the top, but it is far too cold to wear it now, of course. *sigh* 8 degrees after a short sunny spell the last few days. ;roll: Very English, if I may say so.
Last edited by Silwen on Thu May 07, 2009 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Wed May 06, 2009 7:57 pm

Oh, pretty top! Happy belated birthday, Sil! (I've been neglecting the computer lately...)

I just got a new copy of Nicholas Nickleby in order to keep up with the Dickens e-list I'm on. The old copy is still buried from that infamous move (I got a new copy of LotR last fall too just to keep up here). I'm almost through it already. Of course I'd read it before but it was too long ago to remember much more than the high points. Dickens is full of details!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Thu May 07, 2009 12:55 am

*sigh*

I get older and my spelling doesn't improve, it seems. I shall have to edit my last post here. :oops:

Thank you, Morwenna. :) My boyfriend likes Dickens and he has all his books, I think, but hasn't read them all yet. I keep telling him to do so, but he generally has too many unread books that he needs to get down to. He just keeps buying them even though he says it will take him many years to get through all he already has! :roll:

I am still reading Stephen King at the moment and am really enjoying it. Now I want to hurry through it though because I got some new books on my birthday. One is The Reader (in German), which I wanted, the other is The Diving Pool by Yoko Ogawa. I saw it at Waterstones and it sounded like somethign I would enjoy reading. Somehow I have the feeling there was another book, but I may be wrong. :lol: I won't count the little gift book about teddies. ;)
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby striderchick » Thu May 07, 2009 1:04 am

Only Dickens that I've read is Great Expectations and Oliver Twist. Great Expectations was for a paper at uni (19th century novels) and Oliver Twist was a christmas present from my Dad. I haven't read anything for me in a while. I tried reading Herodotus' Histories because i needed parts of it for two assignments and felt like reading the whole thing, but someone recalled it on me. So I just had to take what notes I could for the essay I'm writing right now. Three hundred words to go and I'm writing a message on TORC instead... haha.
I still have The Brothers Karamazov waiting for me to read, the last of my Christmas books. and a whole lot of books that I claimed from my Granny's house after she got moved into a nursing home. But i'll end up reading a lot next semester with two English papers, sadly it will be expensive though since I don't already own any of the ones they want.
Better try to finish this essay.
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Thu May 07, 2009 2:06 am

Hi striderchick! Good to see you. Fingers crossed for those essays. So Herodotus is very readable then? I have been wanting to read his Histories ever since I first came across The English Patient in which his book his featured a little. It would be interesting to know more about it.I only had two little books with excerpts so far, which I happened to find in NZ.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby striderchick » Thu May 07, 2009 4:27 am

hmm. Readable. Well, yeah it is, but he does go off on tangents a lot and when you're only reading it for an hour at a time on the bus you can forget what the original point of that particular part of the book was until you reach the end and it's finally back to it. Well, you do if you're me for the first few of his books in it anyway. But it is really interesting, he inserts tidbits of stories all over the place that are at least entertaining, and some informative, but I also have to add that you don't assume everything he says is factual. But it is great all the same and I hope I can go back to reading it sometime.

If that paragraph of mine doesn't make a whole lot of sense, I'm sorry. But i did just finish my essay, change ink in the printer, and am about to go to bed.
I hope you Northern Hemisphere people are getting warmer, 'cause I'm getting colder down here.

:D
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby truehobbit » Thu May 07, 2009 5:33 am

Hi striderchick, good to see you! :D

We've had a chilly spell, but temperatures didn't drop to freezing, and don't appear to be planning to, and always in the double digits during day, so it's been pretty clement. And a nice bit of sunshine, too, which makes it quite lovely. :D

I'm impressed with your reading Herodot. All those ancients that would have been part of a classical education until very recently - it seems such a pity we have to neglect them today. Of course, there's so much new stuff kids need to learn more urgently and you can't learn everything, but I've always thought to try and find some time to study them a bit, too. :)

Good luck on the essay. :D

:hihi: to all the other bookworms!
truehobbit
Mariner

Postby striderchick » Thu May 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Thanks. Here's hoping I pass. It's a paper I'm repeating actually, so I'm really kinda hoping for a rather good pass if possible.
I did not want to wake up this morning. Had a go at convincing myself that I didn't actually have to go to my tutorial even though it's going to be talking about that papers essay...
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Fri May 08, 2009 2:21 am

I haven't checked if this has been discussed in any threads of the Book forum, but has anyone here heard of the recent discovery made about the Chronicles of Narnia? It was reported in a BBC programme called The Narnia Code and I must say I was not looking forward to it, but when I watched it, it was great. Very interesting what that man came up with during his PhD studies! He believes that each book represents one of the planets. He found evidence in CS Lewis' biography, mainly his interest in the planets. What do you think?

It made a lot of sense to me when explained, but I don't know the majority of the books. The whole thing made me jealous about not having made such a great discovery myself when I was doing my PhD. :P
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby heliona » Fri May 08, 2009 12:43 pm

I didn't see the programme, although I saw it advertised. Wilko and I declined to watch it because we didn't want our notions of The Chronicles of Narnia shattered! :lol:

So haven't seen the programme, I can't really comment on what was said, but I wouldn't have thought that an interest in planets would necessarily translate to writing books that represented each planet. I mean, I have a degree in astronomy, but all the stories I've written aren't influenced by that.

heliona

Postby truehobbit » Fri May 08, 2009 5:10 pm

Sounds interesting enough to have made me google...mostly, though, because I thought 'there aren't enough books for all the planets, are there?' :P

The website about the documentary and book sounds a bit silly, like all those 'secret message' documentaries that abound these days ('codes' are just so fashionable :roll: ), but it says that whatever background there is has to do with medieval cosomlogy - so, not really the actual planets, but the medieval view of the structure of the universe.

I think I'd watch it if I got the TV channel just out of curiousity, although I'm sure you can't take anything they say too seriously, just like with all these 'discovery' things.

Apparently, it's on BBC4 again in ten days: http://www.planetnarnia.com/

(There's a link to a Promo Trailer on youTube on the site, which would seem to confirm my doubts, as it looks like a ridiculous load of desparately sensation-grabbing kitsch - but it might be amusing to watch nevertheless. :D )
truehobbit
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive