THE LOUNGE FOR BOOKWORMS 5

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby celebalqua » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:41 pm

Hiya everyone and welcomeElrin

Celebalqua, sweeps into the lounge and nods greating to all the new faces. Without a word he continues on into the kitchen. A little later he emerges carrying cool lemonade freshly made from the lemons of the tree in the garden. He places it down in the centre of the room.
"Please help yourselves, I have infused some herbs through the drink, you should find it very refreshing.l"
With that he pours himself a glass and finds his favourite chair bathed in sunlight under the open window. With a sigh, he takes a long sip and closes his eyes to listen to the wind rusttling in the leaves outside"

Bliss!

Silwen I am so sorry to hear that things didn't work out for you. Long distance relationships are always hard work. I really do hope you guys can maintain some kind of friendship, it will be hard but if you stay committed to it you will be able to. Many years ago I was in love with someone overseas. We corresponded and met up over a period of about 15 months, but eventually we called it quits. I still love this person, he was a real soul mate, but love alone is not enough, and there are other soul mates out there, beleive me. The loss is hard but it shapes us and makes us who we become :wink:
celebalqua
Rider of the Mark

Postby elrin » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:50 am

grabs a glass of lemonnade and settles down to read the helf blood prince

thank you celebalqua
elrin
Ranger of the North

Postby striderchick » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:42 pm

*takes some lemonade* Thanks Cel, just what I needed.

Hope you're still alright Silwen

striderchick
striderchick
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:57 am

Thank you, Cel, I am feeling much better by now - surprisingly quick too. At night it's still a little worse because that is the time I think about it more than usual and it is also the time when we always chatted (and still do). He still makes me feel happy and he manages to make me laugh the way he did before. So actually nothing much has changed yet, and that is good to know.

Striderchick, glad to hear you passed and that the seminar went well.:)

Yesterday I built my huge bookshelf, and today I may use the leftover wood to make a CD rack that's going to be 2m tall!:D Have no space for my CDs anymore, so I could use it. I am not sure if I have all the necessary toold here, though, and enough nails! :| Oh, and there is a small stone I got from Lake Superior this summer that I want to polish. :D Hm, I might do that first today.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby minyacaliel » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:16 am

2 m tall? :shock: How are you going to reach the CDs in the very top? :wink:
If you have extra-wood, you could always make me bookshelf! :P Don't have a proper one for my new appartment....:) I have to start packing my stuff, I'm moving on Sunday.... :(
minyacaliel
Mariner

Postby None_Elf_Ear » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:29 am

Hello to everybody!

Seems that, while I was missing during the week-end (I cannot post in week-ends, for I have no Internet connection at home), you began a feverish activity 'round here, and this pleases me so! Thank you all :)

I am glad to find out that so many of you like Agatha Christie, her works, and the incredible and inexhaustible detective Hercule Poirot, one of my favourite book characters all-time and certainly the best for me in this policier domain.

What am I reading at the moment? Let me think ... well, I am re-reading Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier, I am reading Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, I am translating Harry Potter 6 in Romanian and the same goes for the first of Narnia books. As usually, I'm doing 10 things a time :roll:
None_Elf_Ear
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:31 am

minyacaliel wrote:2 m tall? :shock: How are you going to reach the CDs in the very top? :wink:

Good question, as I am very short! If I stretch out my arm I can just reach the upper CDs, I would suppose. I could not yet make the rack because I don't have all the things I need here (mainly nails and a decent saw). But I don't have enough wood left for your shelf, min!;) Good luck with the move. I hope it is not going too be too stressful.

Hello nne! There you are!:D You are certainly busy again at the moment. :shock: I've also read Madame Bovary, but it is not my type of book. But I had heard so much about it that I simply had to read it to know what it's about. I once wanted to read Rebecca as well, but since that is my horrible sister's name, I haven't done that yet. :roll:

I hope to finish The Time Traveler's Wife very soon. If I weren't online all the time, I would have finished it quite a while ago. Only a few pages left!
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby K.Evenstar » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:58 pm

I have no doubt I'm going to need new book shelves next year at uni - I have one large and 4 small in my wardrobe, but I doubt that'll do much - especially as I am a bibliomaniac - addicted to buying books! By Christmas, even if I take just one box of books with me when I move in, I bet I'll be storing them one every available surface :lol: It doesn't help having a second-hand bookshop in my university town, and now I have discovered Amazon, I am doomed.

Keve xx
K.Evenstar
Ranger of the North

Postby minyacaliel » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:35 pm

Oh, poor Keve....:P I know what it's like...AND I'm also pretty addicted to buy DVD's....When I go shopping, I won't go home before I have few good sale-bargains...:D I know it's sick....:roll: :P
Sil, Yeah, we're going to see the place tomorrow, hopefully it's all good and nice!!! Plus I'm a bit nervous of living with two total strangers, but hopefully that works out for the best too....:)
minyacaliel
Mariner

Postby None_Elf_Ear » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:59 pm

Hello everybody!

Sil, Madame Bovary is exactly the kind of book I most despise, but I decided to read it, like many of them before, as I know that I cannot read just what I like, for I have to form myself a strong general idea of a certain manner of writing in a certain century and language. And as I am studying French culture in school, I'll need to read as many French oeuvres as possible, though I only like Dumas and Verne :D

(but just so you know, I found the descriptions of the landscapes marvellous! this man writes like a painter paints ...)

About Rebecca, it is more acceptable, and quite interesting, if you take a longer look. I recommend it to you. Ignore the name. Pretend it is not there ... ;)
None_Elf_Ear
Ranger of the North

Postby salean » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:54 am

*stares at thread*
A new one?
*mutters*
Typical, I go away for two weeks and I miss all the fun.... :P

Well, I'm back now!!!!!!! :D :P

Hello to the new bookworms!!!!!!!!!

Gwen! :) Hallo! It's great to see you here!

Italy was great but rainy. We had about four days of reallllly hot weather (fortunately including the day we went to Venice. The canal waters were sooooo blue it was unbelievable.) Then the rest of the days we had there were stormy and cloudy. Our tent was on a little track of the main path and it got so bogged with mud that you literally couldn't walk on it. But the beach was great, even in cold weather. And Austria was amazing. When I was younger I used to love a series of books called The Chalet School which are set in a place not too near where we were saying which was cool, and we went up such a beautiful gorge!!!! I felt like an intrepid explorer exploring the Amazon!!!!!!!

*jumps around happily*

Oh, but by the end I was missing my books at home. I had brought four books with me and (I quote my sister here) devoured them, then I borrowed a book off my best friend's sister (we were on holiday with their family) and then I borrowed my mum's book, but after that there was only my dad's books and he reads books that he said I wouldn't like or something so I was bookless for the whole time I was in Austria (three days) and the journey home (two days). which was annoying. However, I still have some holiday money left over so I will be making a trip to the bookshop soon....

Anyway, I stilll have a load of holiday homework (mainly french and music) to do before I go back to school next thursday so I'll have to go now.

:P Sal :P
salean
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:13 am

Hello sal! :hug: Welcome back! A glass of champagne?

I've been to Venice too, also for a day and it was terribly hot. I could have done with cooler weather. It was no fun as I was there with people who had been there the year before and didn't really want to go, so they made me feel it. :roll: And on the way back to Germany right after that I hit my brother so badly that I almost broke his ribs in the car. Not a fine thing to do as he is 9 years younger than I. :oops: But he deserved it! :twisted:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby K.Evenstar » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:57 am

Silwen Oops!

Salean hey, I used to read the Chalet School books, too! I still have about half the series, and my mum has some too :) I did find some of the characters too good to be true though! :evil:

My friend suggested to me that I improvise bookshelves with 3 planks of wood and a load of bricks. I may well do that - it's cheaper, isn't it? Hardly the classiest bookcase ever, but not bad for a student on a budget. And I don't need to worry about what happens when I move out, either.

Keve xx
K.Evenstar
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:55 pm

Keve, if you use ytong bricks, it can like really good. If you want you can even carve then as they are very soft. With white boards especially, they would look good. Saw that on TV once, in one of the home improvement/derocating before/after shows that are so popular here right now.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby SiriusBlack » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:11 pm

I'm gone for a few days and already I missed two pages!!

*sits down with a glass of champagne*

Hello to everyone!

So sorry to hear about the breakup Silwen. :hug: Hope things get better for you.

Bell,.. ok am I behind... PS3?? I didn't think they were out yet. :?

Striderchick, glad to hear you passed. :happydance:
SiriusBlack
Ranger of the North

Postby None_Elf_Ear » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:46 am

Well, it is nice to see you all gathered here and talking, though I am afraid it is not easy for me to follow the stream of your words :)

I am glad many of you had the opportunity to visit foreign countries and had a wonderful time there. Myself, I have never left the borders of my country, nor I have hopes to do it soon enough. It seems this is my curse, though I'd like so much to see some places dear to my heart ...
None_Elf_Ear
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:00 am

Nee, maybe I will really get Rebecca sometime. :) Right now, however, I am spending far too much time on ebay again, looking for English books. I just won the auctions for Chocolat, If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things, and Bridget Jones's Diary (which I only bought too because it was cheaper getting it with another book from the same seller). Apart from that, I hope to get an English Scrabble game - I am utterly obsessed with Scrabble since my visit to the US this summer!

Sirius, :hug: I'll be all right. Once I stop indulging in phantasies of our reunion, that is. :roll: Currently I am observing myself for the different stages of heart break/grief management.
Last edited by Silwen on Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby ~Sorcia~ » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:29 am

Hi everyone! Silwen said I would be welcome here, so here I am! :D

Congratulations to Sil on 3000 posts!! :happydance: :happydance::happydance::happydance:
~Sorcia~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Silwen » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:38 am

Yes, you are very welcome here, Sorcia!

And thank you for the congrats! It took me so long to get to 3000 posts - 3 years! :Q I didn't think it would take that long, to be honest. If I go on like this I'll get to be Mariner in two more years. *sigh* And the Ring is far, far away...

Sorcia, are you reading anything at the moment? What type of books do you like? My favourite writer is Ondaatje, and I love his book The English Patient (much better even than the film). I prefer contemporary literature to any other. I occasionally read classics because I think I should know them (I studied lit), but I don't really enjoy them, mostly.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby ~Sorcia~ » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:44 am

Thanks Silwen! My ring is far far away too. But we'll get there...i hope.

Im not reading anything at the moment... doing a bit of writing actually. I did read HP6. And I'm getting ready to read Narnia.

my favorite authors are:

JK Rowling
Tolkien
JA Jance
James Patterson
CS Lewis
RA Salvatore
Weis & Hickman
Anne Rice
Roberrt Jordan

to name a few. :D
~Sorcia~
Citizen of Imladris

Postby K.Evenstar » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:17 pm

I've finally got around to read CS Lewis' science fiction trilogy, though I'm only a few chapters into Out of the Silent Planet so far. I'm sure I've read it before, but I don't remember a thing about it. Did I read somewhere that he based Ransom on Tolkien? (Well, he is a philologist.) In the blurb in the back, there was an ad for a book called The Golden Torc by Julian May. We're famous, people! There's a book about us! :TORC: (Surely we're a golden TORC)
K.Evenstar
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:42 pm

The Golden Torc? Is that a spelling mistake? Hm.

Sorcia, from your list I have only read Rowling, Tolkien, Lewis (only one book of the Chronicles ages ago that I can't remember) and Anne Rice (also just once, Interview With the Vampire).

I read a lot of Canadian fiction for years, and now I am getting into some New Zealand fiction too. This has to do with my research, but reading is a hobby of mine and I am glad that it's part of my profession now too.:D Though I don't like it if it turns into real WORK sometimes. ;)
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby minyacaliel » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:05 am

Silwen wrote:Bridget Jones's Diary (which I only bought too because it was cheaper getting it with another book from the same seller

Bridget Jones's diary is actually pretty good...:D I mean, when you're looking for some lighter reading....:P have now The edge of Reason in my nightstand; I can't read too exciting or intelligent literature in the vening...:D

Currently I'm reading...Let's see....Alex Garland's The Beach, though I'm not even properly strted it...Is it any good, does anyone know? :P
minyacaliel
Mariner

Postby None_Elf_Ear » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:14 am

Good day to all :)

Sil, all right, take your time ... and it might be written by an author with a French name, but I highly suspect she is not more French that I am. Actually, this can be easily checked. Just a mo. Yeah, I'm right. She's English, and this can be easily seen when you read her books ... she has something Bronte-ish, I guess.

Lookie here: http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/dumaurie.htm.

Sorcia, I read Anne Rice's books as well, though not all of them. Read Vampire Lestat, Interview with a Vampire, The Body Thief, The Devil Memnoch and The Queen of the Damned. The last one was my favourite, but I still have to read the rest of them ;)
None_Elf_Ear
Ranger of the North

Postby minyacaliel » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:16 am

Hey, that's a Finnish link, isn't it? at least Kirjasto is library in Finnish? :wink:
minyacaliel
Mariner

Postby None_Elf_Ear » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:22 am

Did I ever mention to you how much I like Finland ?! :D
None_Elf_Ear
Ranger of the North

Postby Silwen » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:01 am

NNE, the link doesn't work for me, but that's no problem. I know Daphne du Maurier. ;) I read her book Don't Look Now. If she is Bronte-ish, I am not sure I will like anymore of her writing, but I will still try to read it someday. ithink it is one of those books one just has to have read.

Sorcia, I just remembered I also have Anne Rice's Servant of the Bones which I thought was quite good.:)

Miny, I had read excerpt of Bridget Jones's Diary in Creative Writing class ones and it was so funny. That was long before the films were made and I recently sorted my study papers and came across those passages, and I was amazed it was really Bridet Jones! :D Is Edge of Reason as good as the first book, do you think?
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby VardaElantari » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:38 am

I'm back!!!

Here's a big :hug: for everyone!

Despite the approaching storm, we ate a lot of good, fresh seafood!! :) It didn't rain while we were there, so we sunned a lot (I finally was able to read!!!) and took some wonderful, romantic walks on the beach.

Hubby woke me up at 4 a.m. Sunday to watch the news about Katrina. I walked out on the balcony - the surf was up to the retaining wall. There had been about 300 feet of sand out there just a day before. Needless to say, we packed up and headed back to Birmingham.

We had sustained storm force winds here for a period of time, and lost a lot of trees in our area, but we all are very, very lucky here. Power has been restored to much of our area.

Wow, look at all the new Bookworms!!! :clap: Hi to each and every one of you! :hug: It's good to see you!

Silwen wrote:As the German saying goes, "If you have order in your house, you have order in your head." :)

What a wonderful saying! :) I'm so sorry about your breakup Sil! :hug:
VardaElantari
Rider of the Mark

Postby Silwen » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:41 am

Varda!!! Here you are! :hug: Hello.:) I am glad youhave been so lucky and returned to Birmingham as soon as matters got serious. Walks on the beach are wonderful. :love:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby K.Evenstar » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:07 pm

Silly Wen wrote:Is Edge of Reason as good as the first book, do you think?

I think, personally, I enjoyed it more. The best bit was an in-joke missed out of the movie for practical reasons, where she interviews Colin Firth (Mr Darcy.) I thought that was the main reason to make the sequel in the first place, to see how they'd tackle Colin Firth being in two roles, but they missed it (though apparently it's in the DVD as an extra.) It's good and light-hearted, though not my usual type of reading material.

Keve xx
K.Evenstar
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive