Riders of Rohan: 3rd Muster: Mods please lock

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:09 pm

"And so it was that the ranks of the Cannon fodder was bulstered, and there was much death and carnage." (from the pages of The Life of a Redshirted Crewman )

Riot: Alright I need twelve of your little guys over there... line up straight now.
Luke: Right! Did you all soak your beards in oil like your king ordered you to? Good!
Riot: Ok, charge the huge flaming demon thing!!!

:shock: What?! You all know that's whats going to happen :twisted: :roll: :P

~Quill
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:46 pm

Quimrill_Renctar wrote:
:shock: What?! You all know that's whats going to happen :twisted: :roll: :P

:rofl: Yeah, you're probably right. ;) :P

Hi Mara! Good to see you again. :)

SF, bringing the dwarves along will be a good idea actually. We do need some non speaking characters to fall off clif...errr well you know glory in battle and such. ;) :D Let us know if you have anything in mind.
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby SmogsFlame » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:47 pm

Actually I didn't have any ideas. :? I was just wondering. So if someone has an idea, go ahead. I'll think for another day or two and if nobody posts I'll try and come up with something to do with the dwarves. :lol:
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Location: One step closer to the edge, and I'm about to break!

Postby whereismysam » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:39 am

Thank you, Smor, for passing that message along! :hug:

Yes, I was in Morocco for 17 glorious days, just getting home last night. I'm a little overwhelmed, and very tired, at this point, and have nothing for a post ready. My next huge project: my brother's wedding this coming weekend! Woot for going from one big thing to the next. ;) :D It's 'no problem.' :D
whereismysam
Ranger of the North

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:42 am

Welcome back Wimsie. I hope your trip went well. :) I hope your brother's wedding goes well too.

SF, okay I'm not getting any inspiration at the moment either, but we'll see what happens. :)
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby SmogsFlame » Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:19 pm

Hey. Sorry about the silence. My web server's been down for a couple days. I'll try to work on a post in a little bit.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby Johnny_Flett » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Greetings all from the drought-stricken Wolf Creek Watershed of the Miami Valley!

I apologize for my extended absence; and in a shameless act of appeasement will spare you the details.

I've got to make a final push to complete the aviary this weekend, and if I don't die from exhaustion I hope to get a post up tomorrow.

If a one of you lay a finger on those lovable little dwarves, you will have to answer to one fighting mad elf. Dwarf. Thing.

But hey, no pressure. It's all good. I'm just saying.
Johnny_Flett
Rider of the Mark

Postby Quimrill_Renctar » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:49 pm

Oh come on, J_F, you know pigmi dwarves are great fried and served with a little bit of basalmic vinegar and lemon! You want them all for yourself! Don't you? Not that I blame you, but I thought you were bigger then that :nono:

Been busy this last week with family visiting, back now, but I'm not sure how much more we want to do outside before we head underground.

~Quill
Quimrill_Renctar
Ranger of the North

Location: A little patch of paradise I like to call... the backside of nowhere

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:36 pm

...but I'm not sure how much more we want to do outside before we head underground.

Funny how that seems to be happening in both RPs at once... :roll: :wink:

Anyway, I'm back in town--not sure when I'll be able to add anything since I have a super-busy work week to make up for two weeks of freedom, and then I have to find another job. :( But good post, Mara, and I'll be looking forward to seeing what's coming next.

And what's wrong with a little grilled dwarf? :twisted:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Gwenare » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:39 pm

I'm glad you're back. :D Don't forget I need pics and lots of stories. ;) :P

:hug:s from all of us
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby Johnny_Flett » Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:19 pm

"Khum-gabad-zharkhedel! Khum-naza bund!" Ranthim's voice boomed over the din. The dwarves all dropped to their knees and bowed before him; his companions stared at him slack-jawed.

"Khiz-kalukk ai-zarbuk, mun garaz udu...um...bundgathol!"

The dwarves all raised up onto their knees and stared at him. Ranthim was doing his best to look serious, but Lark could tell he was having a hard time suppressing a mile-wide grin. He clasped his hands behind his back and began to stroll around. He stopped behind Lark, placed his hands upon her shoulders and spoke a few more words in fairly convincing dwarvish.

The shaggy dwarves burst into wild applause and shouting.

Deor happened to be next in line; Ranthim stepped behind him, placed his hands on his shoulders, and spoke:

"Fudu!"

The dwarves remained stone-faced and silent.

Rowyn was the third; whatever it was that he spake, it elicited much nodding and chuckling from the group.

Next came Agoth; after Ranthim's words, they all began to look questioningly at the bottoms of their feet.

Elrosar had a pained expression as Ranthim stepped behind him; and of course, at Ranthim's words they burst into hysterical laughter. It continued for quite a while, until Ranthim had stepped behind Adrial and spoke; the laughter ceased, and they began sniffing the air inquisitively.

Elwing got off pretty easy; when Ranthim had finished speaking, a solitary dwarf stood up and began applauding wildly. He began howling like crazed warg until one of his fellows clubbed him over the head. Poor Haleth, on the other hand, was buffeted with boos, hisses and lip-farts from every single one of them.

Riot's introduction was somewhat lengthy; there was an embarassing silence, until finally a dwarf approached her and placed an orange, cone-shaped hat on her head. The other dwarves nodded their approval.

After Maranwe's introduction, she was approached by a solitary dwarf who offered her a small sack. She nervously accepted it, and pulled out a dead bird. "Don't insult them; place the bird on your head", Ranthim quickly whispered in her ear. She shot him with a doubtful glance, but he remained stone-faced. With a heavy sigh, she carefully balanced the carcass atop her head. When this elicited no response, she reached up to remove it. When her hand got close to the bird, the dwarves became immediately enraged; they began shouting and picked up their weapons. She lowered her hand and they sat back down.

Luke's intro caused a degree of consternation from the assembly. A few of them stood up, and seemed to be questioning Ranthim. Ranthim took his hands from Luke's shoulders, grabbed a handful of hair on either side of Luke's head, and raised them up on either side like pigtails. This apparently satisfied them, as they all sat back down.

"Did you really think I didn't know my own language?" Ranthim whispered to Melody, before he gave her an intro that sounded harsh, even for Dwarrow-speech. A low chant was begun by the dwarves, which gradually grew in tempo and volume. "What are they saying?" she shouted to Ranthim. "It's difficult to translate", he shouted back. He thought for a minute. "The closest I can come is 'Would somebody please get me a CLEAN washcloth?"

The chanting continued until he stopped behind poor Robin, who seemed to have shrunk even smaller. He did not stoop to place his hands on Robin's shoulders; he stepped up beside him, and pointed to him with an outstretched palm.

"Kabum".

At this the dwarves all raised themselves into a squatting position, and began squat-walking around, flapping their arms like ducks whilst meowing like cats.

He silenced them by raising his arm, and then launched into a brief tirade, with a lot of loud shouting and wild gesticulations. Even through the spittle they had no difficulty in recognizing one of the words that was repeated several times: Khazad-dum.

The shaggy dwarves all shouted and rolled on the ground when he was finished. They quickly dispersed, and even quicklier reassembled, laden with spears, stone-axes, clubs and shields.

They formed a phalanx around the Riders of Rohan, et al, and awaited further command.

"To Khazad-dum!" the mighty Ranthim bellowed, and thus began the next leg of their journey into the history books.

"When can I take this stinking bird off my head?" Maranwe asked, as Ranthim swaggered past.

"Ever hear of Durin's Day?" :)

And they're off!
Johnny_Flett
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:53 pm

A dead bird? MMkay....

Yeah...I just can't seem to get on here often....If 'm not working, I'm sorting out school stuff...it's going to be so weird...living at school...NOT surrounded by siblings....

Yeah.....So weird to think when I first came on here, I was a highschool...sophmore? And now...college... strange...esp. when I think of my brothe who just joined TORC...soon he'll be an mature adult...or, at LEAST legally an adult.. :shock:
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Johnny_Flett » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:37 pm

S'matter? :? Got somethin' against birds? :wink:

I thought you all got off rather easy. Compared to what's going to happen, if nobody posts.
Johnny_Flett
Rider of the Mark

Postby SmogsFlame » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:23 am

Well sorry I won't be able to post. I never got the chance to tell you guys I was leaving before said event actually happened. I spent all this past week at a camp as a couselor. I shall be leaving monday morning for this same camp only this time as a camper. So I won't be back until saturday. Well cya guys. Sorry about being gone so long.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:04 am

Great post JF!!!!! :D Well done with the ew...dwarves. :P ;)

Mara, time flies. Unless it is a bird on your head. :P

SF, have a great trip. :)

Hmmm, I will see if I can do anything in here. Don't know if I can today or not.
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Nimhiril » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:38 pm

Hey guys! Sorry about my absense, life got kinda hectic for awhile when I wasn't expecting it to be!

Great post JF! If I new any dwarvish, I would happily have Melody speak it more often, but alass, I do not. Just glad she does. ;)

I'll see if I can work up a post some time this week. Any ideas for what should be included?
Nimhiril
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:04 pm

JF-- that was... interesting. :wink:

I haven't come up with anything yet post-wise, still trying to get myself caught up on life after vacation. :P

Nim, the only thing I can think of is we still need to get rid of those lice. I do remember the Mirror-induced vision said something about a fancy comb in Moria somewhere. :roll:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby lark » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:13 am

the brilliant one wrote:Mara, time flies. Unless it is a bird on your head.

That was funny! :rofl:

Sorry I’ve been absent a lot too. RL is just busy. :(

If I can possibly come up with a post in the next few days, I will, but please don’t wait on me.
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:22 pm

hehehe...Actually, J_F, I really don't have anything gainst dead birds...but I prefer them breaded and deep fried. :P
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:51 am

Here's a post. Whoever wants to deal with the troll have it. It can be a troll or it could just be something with very big feet. ;) :P I like the very big feet thing better myself, but whoever wants to post you can decide. :)

The company, now surrounded by the band of dwarves, made their way to the East Gate of Moria. As they stopped at the edge of the tree line to spy out the area, several of the dwarves began jumping and muttering in the strange language. “What are they saying?” Elrosar asked.

“They want to know if they can move in after we leave,” Ranthim replied.

Elrosar thought for a moment on why the dwarves were asking them, but then he remembered who they thought Ranthim was. “Tell them yes,” Elrosar answered. Who controlled Moria wasn’t their concern, and he guessed that any other dwarves that wanted to resettle the mines would be able to come to terms with this group if the time ever came.

Ranthim spoke to the dwarves, and before Elrosar could object the dwarves in unison rushed out of the trees and began hurriedly running up the slope toward the gates. Suddenly arrows were fired from the gates, but the dwarves were prepared with their shields and only one dwarf was hit by arrow. The poor had an exceptionally long beard and he accidentally stepped on it and fell to the ground. The arrow then found a chink in the dwarf’s chain mail leggings and plunged into the ground pinning his leg fast. The dwarf was unable to roll over and his arms were too short to reach the arrow.

“Baruk Khazad!” Ranthim yelled from the tree line and then turned to Elrosar. “I believe the gates will be secured shortly.”

“As long as there are no trolls there we should be fine yes,” Elrosar said as he motioned for the others to follow them as they looked ahead to see the dwarves jumping triumphantly in victory. Several of them were tossing goblin heads back and forth to each other, and finally one of the younger dwarves went and freed the hapless long beard.

“Oh I have something special for any trolls we might encounter,” Ranthim said with a menacing laugh.

“I’m afraid to ask,” Elrosar said as they neared the gates.

The gates were open and several of the dwarves had made their way into the opening chamber. They returned soon after to inform the group that there were more goblins approaching and that they could hear loud footsteps. “It has to be a troll,” Elrosar said as he rubbed his temples in frustration.

“They can’t come out in the sun can they?” Rowyn asked while nocking an arrow to her bowstring.

“The ones on the Pelennor did,” Adrial stated as she began to play an inspiring tune on her lute.

Lark readied her sword and pulled out a dagger as well, while Elrosar unstrapped his shield and placed it on his left arm. Mara and the others prepared themselves as well, as they too could now hear the heavy thunder of the footsteps approaching. “Do we let it come to us?” Lark asked.

“Aye, let it come!” Ranthim said loudly as he brandished his pearly white teeth.

The sound of battle soon came from the chamber as the goblins met the dwarves that were inside the cave. A loud howl reverberated from the chamber and a dwarf came flying out of the gates in the air. It struck the ground and rolled down the hill before coming to rest against a tree. The dwarf shook his head for a moment and then began making his way up the hill.

“Be ready, here he comes,” Elrosar said as the footsteps started for the gates. Elrosar gripped his sword tightly and raised his shield as he waited for the troll to emerge.
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby Sandor » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:34 pm

Weary from months of long travel in Eriador, Sandor was both relieved and astonished to have found the encampement of the Riders of Rohan.

"Hail fellow Rohirrim! Long have I traveled since being banished from my own coutry by the devilry of Grima Wormtongue, and it is a great sight to see so many of my kin here. All I ask is that you accept me into your mighty company, and I shall serve the Riddermark with all I have, as I've always done."

Sandor bowed before the Riders present, as a wide grin crept upon his face...
Sandor
Citizen of Imladris

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:05 pm

Hail Sandor, and welcome to the nuthouse...er, guild! Glad to see you made it over here.

Dan-- nice post. That bit about the lute made me laugh. :rofl:

My theory is a female dwarf with very big feet and an unfulfilled chocolate craving. :angel:
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Gwenare » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:40 am

Welcome Sandor! As Smor said, this is the nuthouse. ;) :P I am also glad you made it over here. We have a wonderful time here. We're one big happy family. :)

Smor, now why would the lute part make you laugh? ;) :P I just can't imagine. :D

Great post as always dear. :D
Gwenare
Ranger of the North

Postby whereismysam » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:35 pm

Hail and well-met, Sandor! We bid thee welcome! :D One word of advice...guard your neck. Heads have been known to fly around here, though that's generally because they sprout wings... :whistle:

:angel:

Good post, Dan! :)

:horse::horse:
whereismysam
Ranger of the North

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:05 am

Thanks folks! :)

Welcome and well met Sandor!! :) I'm glad to see you found your way over here. :) If you can decipher it jump in with a post if you want. It is a nuthouse at times, but gives us a well deserved humorous break. ;)

Dan
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

Postby SmogsFlame » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:25 pm

Hey Sandor! Hail and well met, ect ect ect, and yadi yadi ya. :P

It's good to have someone else posting in here. Maybe you could accidently drop in and lend some Rohirrim a hand with big foot.

Oh and has anyone mentioned that this is a nuthouse? :wink: :roll: :rofl:

Well guys I'm back from camp and should be able to post regular now. Let's get postin.
SmogsFlame
Shield Bearer

Postby lark » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:28 am

Hello all! Sorry I’ve been gone so long. As some of you already know, I’ve been having some computer problems. :roll:

Mae govannen Sandor and welcome to Rohan! :)

I actually had an idea for a post concerning the troll thing, but as usual, I’m extremely busy. :roll: I’ll be starting home-school with the kids in less then a month and need to start getting my materials together, and my little hobbit baby turns six tomorrow! :shock: If I can find time to write this evening I’ll try to get something up, but if anyone else is wanting to post, please don’t wait on me. I can always come up with something else later. :wink:
lark
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:33 am

Haha, I'd actually started working on something for the troll thing too! I haven't gotten very far in it though, so if you want to post instead Lark, go ahead.
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:49 pm

Hail and well met, Sandor! Welcome to the nuthouse...-er, golden hall. :wink:

Mmmm...Dwelfs and Goblins and Trolls, Oh my!

Good luck with your homeschooling Lark...Me, for the first time in my life I can't say at all that I'm homeschooled. :shock: I'm enrolled...about to start payments....And currently with out a job :| . Which will hopfully be remedied by the end of the week.

The 16th I move into the dorms...Ketha is thrilled that she finally gets her own room (altgough I will still have junk in there)..I'm scared out of my wits!!

All I can say is that I hope I room with some one as LOTR nutty as you guys!!!!

(And all that was to say, yes, I am here, I'm just lurking!)
Maranwe-Ar-Feiniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Elladan_Elfhelm » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:58 am

Mara, wow that will be a big adjustment for sure! Prayers for you there as you move on to college. I hope things go well. I remember my first semester was a big adjustment, but after that I settled in and it was much better. Hang in there. :)
Elladan_Elfhelm
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive