Took's TVM........due to be locked? See new thread....

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby notlistening » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:27 pm

what are yams, precious? are you talking sweet potatoes?

dishes smishes!! use paper plates! :P :wink:
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Calma » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:11 pm

Difference between Sweet Potatoes & Yams

Yams...
Candied Yams.
Mashed potatoes
Gravy
Stuffing
Corn on the cob
Biscuits.
Salad.
Veggie tray.
Fruit tray.
Various desserts that Star's making.
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Location: Up the road, across the street, down the lane, and around the bend

Postby notlistening » Mon Nov 20, 2006 3:16 pm

we don't celebrate thanksgiving here. Don't think we were ever pilgrimish, too late for that in 1788.

I am having a "let's see how many things can break before 2007 starts".

last month, my fridge died so I got a new one, which meant my poor credit card did not get the extra money off it. This month my organiser died and lost it's memory, my car was backed into by a 4WD and no note left (but it's merely a scratch) and last nigth my electirc kettle packed it in. :roll: sheesh!!!
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:17 pm

Well, looks like you have quite a Christmas list started, nl. Did you send your list to Santa yet? 8)

Ya can't use paper plates for Thanksgiving. They wouldn't last halfway through the first course.

**sets out the heavy duty stoneware**

We need some laughs here.....
Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby notlistening » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:20 pm

well I have a 2nd organiser that I will update with what numbers I remember and will get a new kettle on saturday. The microwave can boil the water I need until then. As for the car, well maybe my dad can buff it for me. He's good like that.
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Gamgee Wench » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:28 pm

Hi all!!! A quick drive by posting...life is insane. I can't wait till I have a few minutes to catch up on MoME and such, I don't even know who won. :roll: Been a crazy few weeks......

So....everybody in the USA ready for Thanksgiving? I'm having my relatives at my house for the first time since we moved up here....and I'm very excited. But that means cleaning.....cooking....and such. And, to complicate everything, I've been dealing with "walking pneumonia" for a week and a half now, and I can't shake it. Uggghhhh!

And to make it just a wee bit more insane, I'm working both at my day job, and this week at the "Pie Shop" helping make their 3200 pies for the week. :) I love the pie shop. Insane, crazy, but such cool people. But they forbade me from working today due to my illness. Sunday I kinda overdid it as I was the "roller", rolling out crusts for most of the day, and it really did me in physically. I'm hoping I feel up to it tomorrow, as I can't work on Wednesday.....

I haven't caught up on this thread, but I see you captured another tooky? Very good, a nice one too. :)

And Tooks is right NL....can't have paper plates on Thanksgiving....toooo much food.

Must go post in a few other threads....I see someone has brought the Alice's Restaurant thread up to the top.....remember Alice? :wink:
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby notlistening » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:23 pm

places sooper dooper heavy duty plates with spill tray attachment for all the food the US types will eat over the weekend. ANd big buckets to throw up in later...

I remember wenchie's pies!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Calma » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:32 pm

Actually, I really don't pig out at all over Thanksgiving.
I usually just do the turkey, potatoes and gravy and the biscuits.
And after it all settles, I go in for the apple pie with whipped cream.
Never was one for eating until I passed out.

Wenchie... I hope you feel better soon. And you probably shouldn't be near making any type of food with all your germs about. :nono:
Though I do admire your fortitude.
Hope your family celebration comes off well and everyone has a good time.
It's just going to be the four of us this year.
Last year we had a friend of my youngest who had nowhere to go for the holiday. Cooking for one extra is no problem. Four or five more starts to get into the panic area.

nl... One year you'll just have to hit the States at Thanksgiving and be a part of it. It's a happy time.
The RealMcCoy!!!

Join the fun InThe TVM

ImageCAT LOVERS GUILD :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

:yippie: MARINERS!!!!!
:D Wins: 2
:x Losses:

Fair winds and following seas.....Toby.

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan... toby ... Cock Robin

Always looking for new posters for the TORC 365 PROJECT

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Gamgee Wench » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:39 pm

LOL! I forgot I brought one down! :D Apple crumb if I remember? My favorite! :) I felt so bad for people on Saturday and Sunday, as all these people kept knocking on the door of this pie shop, poking there head in the door and asking if they had an extra pie for sale. We all are just laughing and saying firmly "nope!!". We are surrounded by hundreds of pie's, but we can't sell them even one. After a while it just gets humorous. Sad, but all are ordered pies, and they stop taking orders around November 1st, they are in that much demand. But fortunately some of the shops that order large amounts get some extra....so we steer them over to those places and just hope they get lucky.

NL....sorry so many of your things are breaking. Bummer. Maybe Santa will bring you working things? :) How's the job going.....I need to catch up with you..... I've been very remiss lately. Sorry.

Whoops, I cross posted with Calma. You are very correct there Calma...but I'm not coughing (which actually is part of the problem) and I'm washing my hands constantly.....and I'm on some kind of potent anitbiotic. But, it doesn't seem to be working. I'm doing better tonight, I just want my energy back....it's pretty much non existent at the moment.
If I'm not better tomorrow....I'm not going to the shop. Hope you have a wonderful thanksgiving lady..... :)

Waves to all.....I'm being yelled at for staying up when I need sleep...so good night to all.
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:29 am

Gamgee Wench wrote:.....and I'm on some kind of potent anitbiotic. But, it doesn't seem to be working. I'm doing better tonight, I just want my energy back....it's pretty much non existent at the moment.

Tis probably viral. Or did they do a culture?

Hmmmm....people wanna buy pies? Maybe I oughta start up that business...... ;)

Oh, and the apple crumb pie lasted about 2 days. 8)

Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Starshadow » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:48 am

Don't tempt me - the Dutch baker here makes a Dutch apple pie (the kind with the crumbly topping) that is HEAVENLY.
Starshadow
Ranger of the North

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:43 am

Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby notlistening » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:30 pm

nl and I were in this town.

and it's never been the same since!!! :wink: :D

I did get a pineapple cheesecake mix from that Farmer's market we stopped at. Gonna convince my mum to make it for Christmas!!

Hi wenchie! :wave: I haven't changed jobs as yet. deadline is feb 2nd. they still need me carrying on as usual, though we have 4 days of Golf now and it drives me crazy, but not as bad as horse racing!!

Calma, I doubt I'll be back to the US especially in November when it's cold!!! It's supposed to be 38 here today (about 96 F) yikes!
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby TomTurkey » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:57 pm

sneaks in looking for a place to hide

sees talk of feasts and devouring food

gets the hell out as fast as he can

EAT BEEF !!!!

TomTurkey
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Calma » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:05 pm

*stalks TomTurkey*

So, nl... What's this about Ian Thorpe retiring?
I just heard about it and am totally surprised.
I loved watching him in the Olympics.
Only swimmer better than he:
Mark Spitz.

Just happy I was able to see him do his stuff.
The RealMcCoy!!!

Join the fun InThe TVM

:rose: Toni...Dannie…Ray-Ray…William...Waneta...Damon...David...Guy… rowan... toby ... Cock Robin

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:10 pm

Tom!!!

It's okay. I'll protect you!
Just watch out for Louie.....

I forgot about the cheesccake thingy, nl. Should be real good!

I'm making your basic pumpkin pie this week. I loooooove pumpkin pie. Doesn't have to be fancy. Just pumpkin. :D

Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby notlistening » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:12 pm

So, nl... What's this about Ian Thorpe retiring?
I just heard about it and am totally surprised.

Yes, he announced yesterday. He has been swimming since he was 14 so I guess he's had enough...I think it's mostly he wants to try new things, get a "real" job. He's won 5 gold medals, broken more records than I can count and it's his life. I think he's tired of being harrassed all the time.
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby TomTurkey » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:20 pm

I think he's tired of being harrassed all the time.

Me too. :shock:

EAT BEEF !!!!

TomTurkey
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Gamgee Wench » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:56 am

Poor Tom. 8)

ok, question for all you electrical engineers out there, when you have a dimmer switch on a wall of lights, when you dim them, are you using less electricity? My husband, this very morning, stated that he didn't think so, as the resistor is in the actual dimmer switch, and it heats up more when you dim it (you can actually feel it, which couldn't be good) though I disagree. The answer could actually help a long running lighting debate in our house, as my husband very much enjoys turning on our high wattage track lighting in the breakfast nook.....but I prefer the low wattage lights in the light over the table. I just think our electric company shouts with glee every time he turns it on.....so to placate me, he uses the dimmer switch. Thus leading to the present debate. I need answers......

And, I feel a wee bit guilty not going into the pie shop today. I know they've been up since 4:30 doing the last 600 pies.....but I am busy today and can't (won't?) go in. I even felt bad yesterday leaving even though I stayed a couple of hours later than I should have. So hard leaving those incredibly fried ladies with so many more pies to do. But, todays the last day, and the annual insanity will be over for them...... :)

But thankfully the antibiotic has truly kicked in.....and I'm doing much better. I actually have energy! Which I need.....I'm being invaded soon....

Made lots of pumpkin pies yesterday tooks......pumpkin is great. :)

Have a great day and Thanksgiving travellers of the TVM! Off to my real job....for a few hours.....
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby Calma » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:29 am

Sorry, Tom, but you should have mentioned you were with Tooks.
*sets large axe aside*

Glad you're feeling better, Wenchie.
May good health return to you.
I don't know about the dimmer switch, but it's my guess those track lights aren't helping your electric bill much.

I have to work tomorrow.
I'll have to work Christmas, too.
But the oldies need their food, so to work I go.
Gotta love the time and a half. :D
My babyman is making the turkey dinner tomorrow.
He's really quite good at making Thanksgiving dinner.
In case we don't see each other tomorrow...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!

May you all enjoy it.
The RealMcCoy!!!

Join the fun InThe TVM

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:16 am

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Calma. Take it easy working. I know that anybody who works the two big holidays at my job gets a very nice free meal that day.

Of course, the folks in food service put together a fancy smancy party to all employees about the middle of Dec. Lots of food representing all different cultures and such. Yum! <<drools>>

Glad you feel better Wenchie....mmmmm...I think I owe you an email, don't I? :roll:

8)

Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby IamMoose » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:32 am

Ah yes, American thanksgiving, where we all give thanks that we're not American :D Only kidding, of course! Hope you all have a nice day tomorrow and stuff yourselves to capacity. What do you all have for Xmas dinner then? Turkey is the traditional Xmas food here but if you have so much of it in November I guess you might not fancy it again at Xmas.
IamMoose
Mariner

Postby GoodSam » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:00 am

Wow! I've missed this thread. Nice conversation going on in here. And you can learn all kinds of things in here too. I had not heard that the Thorpedo had retired. Oh well. He's had a great career. i guess it's time to do something that he can actually make a living from, eh?

I'm concerned about GamgeeWench overdoing it. Take it easy lady!

We are having kind of a strange Thanksgiving around here. My wife's aunt in Phoenix died. It's kind of strange because no one in her family got along with her other than one son who we love very much. My wife decided not to travel to Arizona for the funeral, but we will be going to Wyoming in the Spring for a memorial service. Anyway, my wife's parents were planning on going to Texas to celebrate Thanksgiving and my wife's great aunt's 90th birthday. Instead, they ended up going to Phoenix, and are too tired to make it to Texas. That means that we will be having a mini-feast at our house the day after Thanksgiving. We are going up to my aunt and uncle's in Windsor, Colorado tomorrow. We call their house Windsor Castle. That's more to do with my aunt's queenly attitude more than the actual house itself.

Hey! Take a minute to drop by the Month of Gratitude thread to ponder on what you have to be thankful this year.
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby Gamgee Wench » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:55 am

Tooks, write when you can lady, don't stress it....I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of ya during the holidays. :)

Goodsam!!!! :D Sounds like an interesting Thanksgiving.... :) I like the visual I have of your queenly Aunt. And I will visit your gratitude thread, I'm glad you pulled it up.....but I see it wasn't because of my PM I sent you...as you don't seem to have opened it yet. LOL! (That's a hint, ie. open your pm!) Good to see you in this thread....that I don't even visit often enough. And I'm ok..... yes, I was overdoing it, but that will end soon. :)

IamMoose!!! I am Hoose!!! I just like saying that.

OK.....I'm just got home and I'm sitting here eating a bowl of oatmeal....Gack. Everything else is for tomorrow.....and the kids ate the left over pizza. Waiting for one of my brothers to arrive. Then the chaos begins.... fun chaos.

Calma....hope you have a good day at work! And Nl....you'd love it here in the winter! Ok, maybe not. But we'd love having you! :)
Gamgee Wench
Mariner

Postby GoodSam » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:22 pm

Hi Wench.

I found the PM, and replied twice. Who knew I could do that?
GoodSam
Mariner

Postby notlistening » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:49 pm

where we all give thanks that we're not American
:shock: :lol:

had not thought of that. That is actually a bit funny, to non americans anyway. :oops: sorry. just had not heard that saying before.

yes Sam Thorpe has swam his last for us. And we wish him well. I once had a semi argument with a man in Phoenix (friend of Anth's) over the 2000 Olympics and that big mouth swimmer Hall Jr person! we all hated him here. So arrogant! very annoying man.

wenhcie, gald to hear you are mending. Don't do too much over the break, okay? ANd who knows, I could swing on through on my way home from the UK one day. Round the world tickets aren't that much extra, and I'd get to see you. Maybe Tooks could come up to you this time, and spd and others? a mini moot at Wenchie's! with chickens!
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Tookish_Traveler » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:28 pm

<<stops in long enough just to poke everybody>>

<<makes like a tree, and leaves>>>

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Tookish_Traveler
Herald of Manwe

Postby Calma » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:34 pm

*returns the favor to Tooks*

Makes like a banana and splits. :wink:
Last edited by Calma on Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The RealMcCoy!!!

Join the fun InThe TVM

Image Rock On!
Calma
Crazy Cat Lady

Postby notlistening » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:34 pm

grabs Tooks by the finger and swings her around until she is very dizzy, them makes her walk the TVM plank...
notlistening
wandering not lost

Postby Starshadow » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:20 pm

Pies are done!!

sets them out, knowing the smell will draw everyone back in for a slice

Have a great Thanksgiving, all those who celebrate!
Starshadow
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive