The 25th Emporium...title change! :o)

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby balrogthane » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:35 am

I return to you now, with another kitchen accomplishment!

*waits for the champagne cork to pop*

C'mon... no champagne? Well, streamers?

*waits*

Confetti?

*waits some more*

Some hole punch leftovers?

*gives up and continues*

So, I have now cooked a pie. And not merely the pie, but I actually made the crust myself! With a tasty (but ginormous) recipe from Teth and some life-saving hints from TG (like, when you're flattening the crust, flip it regularly so it doesn't fuse with the work area :oops: ). It was listed in the recipe book as a "fudge brownie pie," and claimed to be from my grandmother... although when I asked her about it, she'd never heard of it.

Anyway. Seven-eighths of it are currently cooling on the range, and the remaing one-eighth was enjoyed with some very tasty, very cold vanilla ice cream. :D

-(----
User avatar
balrogthane
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 10468
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:34 am
Location: South Carolina
Top

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:39 am

Yummy!
Get some cheddar cheese and try eating with the pie.

My aunt's mother used to say: "Apple pie without cheese is like a hug without a squeeze."

*is getting hungry*
Image

But WHY is the rum always gone?







"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
User avatar
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

 
Posts: 20918
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:42 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Top

Postby balrogthane » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:41 am

Cheese with apple pie? That sounds weird... but I'll give it a try sometime. I plan to make an apple pie at some point in the near future.

This, however, is not an apple pie, but a 'fudge brownie pie'-- essentially, a chocolate pie. I think I'll stick to the ice cream. ;)

-(----
User avatar
balrogthane
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 10468
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:34 am
Location: South Carolina
Top

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:56 am

Oops, sorry, I think I must be hungry for apple pie and read apple in there somewhere.

It's a nice contrast of sweet and salty.

*is still hungry*

*goes to find something to nibble on*
Image

But WHY is the rum always gone?







"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
User avatar
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

 
Posts: 20918
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:42 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Top

Postby lady*of*rohan » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:46 pm

Hallo all!

I started school this week...I can't remember if I said that before. But I did. Classes are going ok. I have a photography class that I"m pretty excited about.

Apple pie with cheese? My mom has an old better homes and garden cook book that has a picture of that. I always thought it was strange.

I eat apple pie with sugar and drowned in milk.

huggles
:angel: Rohy
User avatar
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4101
Joined: Sun May 16, 2004 9:16 am
Top

Postby Ivriniel » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:37 am

balrogthane wrote:Cheese with apple pie? That sounds weird... but I'll give it a try sometime.
-(----


That's the way my Dad always eats his apple pie, too.

It is good. You wanna make sure you have a nice, nippy cheddar for it though.
User avatar
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4357
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:16 pm
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Top

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:20 am

I eat apple with cheddar, but I've never tried apple pie with cheddar. Sounds like it would be good though.

And somebody asked me out. To be honest, I was wondering when he'd get around to it. :P
User avatar
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:19 pm
Location: Notre Dame
Top

Postby GwenElf » Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:48 pm

Apparently it's a Wisconsin thing, cheese on apple pie. Luthy does it. My sister tried it at her recommendation, but I don't think she used enough cheese. :P

Ciao a tutti! Sono in Italia! Io non parlo italiano. Est difficile. Ita, dicet Latine!

*Waves* I'm six hours ahead of everyone and it's weird and no one is online! *Pout* Anyhow, just passing through.

BT--Congrats on making a pie! *Sends Italian champagne and streamers*

Elanor-- Yay for being asked out! (I think? Or is it a not yay?)
User avatar
GwenElf
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 14269
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:27 pm
Location: On the corner of Graeco and Roman.
Top

Postby Evenstar_Elfstone » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:11 pm

Well, there's far too much for me to comment on here. :P

Today I went into DC with my friend and her mother to tour some art museums. Other than my friend being pulled over for speeding, the first part of the trip was rather uneventful. After we left the first museum, we went on a food hunt, and after we finally found a subway that played dreadful Christian rock music we were quite lost and ended up walking ten blocks to get to the National Gallery. On the way, I got to see some Amish people, the White House, war protesters, and a guy preaching hell and damnation. Of course, five minutes into the National Gallery tour we lost her mom and had to spend about fifteen minutes scouring the place for her. B^

So, over all, my feet hurt, which means it was a rather eventful day. :P

I've got to go cram some Spanish grammar into my head and break in my school violin now, school starts on Tuesday. :|
User avatar
Evenstar_Elfstone
Ringbearer
 
Posts: 10111
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 6:19 pm
Location: Stalking the Beatles
Top

Postby elf-maiden » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:53 pm

Hello everyone. I'd reply to some people, but I don't feel like it.

This morning I woke up and my stomach hurt really bad. I felt kind of nauseous too, but thought that it might just be morning sickness. So I walked to work anyway, and got a headache on the way. I stayed for a little over half an hour, feeling exhausted even though I got at least 9 hours of sleep last night. So I left early and went back to bed. Have thrown up twice since and my headache won't go away.

What's worse is that I'd really been looking forward to this weekend because I'd finally have time to ride my bike around and explore. Well, it's been storming all day, so I couldn't do it even if I wasn't sick. And church is tomorrow, so the only time I have hope of doing that is Monday, assuming I get better by then. :(

*wants do die*
User avatar
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 20635
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:57 pm
Location: Gotham
Top

Postby Ivriniel » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:30 pm

Evenstar_Elfstone wrote:Well, there's far too much for me to comment on here. :P

Today I went into DC with my friend and her mother to tour some art museums. Other than my friend being pulled over for speeding, the first part of the trip was rather uneventful. After we left the first museum, we went on a food hunt, and after we finally found a subway that played dreadful Christian rock music we were quite lost and ended up walking ten blocks to get to the National Gallery. On the way, I got to see some Amish people,


How do you know they were Amish? :P :)

elf-maiden wrote:This morning I woke up and my stomach hurt really bad. I felt kind of nauseous too, but thought that it might just be morning sickness.


Morning sickness? :shock:

I know I haven't been around much lately, did I miss something? Or did you just mean sickness in the morning? :)
User avatar
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4357
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:16 pm
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Top

Postby Evenstar_Elfstone » Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:57 pm

Ivriniel wrote:
Evenstar_Elfstone wrote:Well, there's far too much for me to comment on here. :P

Today I went into DC with my friend and her mother to tour some art museums. Other than my friend being pulled over for speeding, the first part of the trip was rather uneventful. After we left the first museum, we went on a food hunt, and after we finally found a subway that played dreadful Christian rock music we were quite lost and ended up walking ten blocks to get to the National Gallery. On the way, I got to see some Amish people,


How do you know they were Amish? :P :)


Their punk rock t-shirts and ripped jeans. :P

Ivriniel wrote:
elf-maiden wrote:This morning I woke up and my stomach hurt really bad. I felt kind of nauseous too, but thought that it might just be morning sickness.


Morning sickness? :shock:

I know I haven't been around much lately, did I miss something? Or did you just mean sickness in the morning? :)


:rofl: As far as I know, Elfy and Ugluk haven't been having it on. ;)
User avatar
Evenstar_Elfstone
Ringbearer
 
Posts: 10111
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 6:19 pm
Location: Stalking the Beatles
Top

Postby elf-maiden » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:38 pm

*sigh* :roll:

I have a fever, give me a break. What I mean is that sometimes in the morning I just feel sick, and it goes away in a few minutes.
User avatar
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 20635
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:57 pm
Location: Gotham
Top

Postby Ivriniel » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:56 pm

I hope you feel better soon, Elfy.
User avatar
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4357
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:16 pm
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Top

Postby Ugluk » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:02 pm

Evenstar_Elfstone wrote::rofl: As far as I know, Elfy and Ugluk haven't been having it on. ;)




Rather difficult when you live across the continental US from each other, I must say.



Incidentally, the Amish have a distinct way of dressing. To the untrained observer, they may look similiar to Mennonites, or Old German Baptists, or any one of those like-dressing groups: but there are differences.
User avatar
Ugluk
Ringbearer

 
Posts: 20768
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 7:15 pm
Location: By the letter "E" in the word "States"
Top

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:56 am

Rather difficult when you live across the continental US from each other, I must say.
:rofl:
Have you ever seen Golden Girls? According to the character Rose, it's not only possible, but it can happen when you're in two separate countries separated by an ocean.

Just kidding, Elfky. :hug: I do hope you feel better soon. The flu is ungood. :hug:
Image

But WHY is the rum always gone?







"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
User avatar
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

 
Posts: 20918
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:42 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Top

Postby Ivriniel » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:40 am

Ugluk wrote:Incidentally, the Amish have a distinct way of dressing. To the untrained observer, they may look similiar to Mennonites, or Old German Baptists, or any one of those like-dressing groups: but there are differences.


Exactly. But most people wouldn't know the difference. (A good indicator for Old Order Mennonite vs. Amish is that married Amish men grow beards but no mustashes while Old Orders are clean shaven. However, there's a small group of Old Orders around St. Jacobs somewhere that started wearing beards, just to confuse everyone. ;) The no mustashe thing comes from the time of the American Civil War, when the style for soldiers was beards with big mustashes. To prevent themselves from being confused for soldiers, they started shaving off their mustashes.)

Recently there were a couple of minor characters on Doctor Who, who were dressed up like the couple in the American Gothic painting. Someone on another message board I was one thought they were supposed to be Mennonites. Their clothes are totally wrong: she's wearing jewelry, he's got a lapel on his jacket, just for starters.

Don't get me started on how TV shows generally screw up the way Amish dress. They tend to give them hats like the Quaker Cereal man, and put them in white shirts and black jackets with lapels. White shirts are generally not worn, as they are considered a symbol of pride. Lapels are also considered too prideful.

Of course, there are also regional differences to what the Amish wear. In Indiana near where my sister lives, Amish boys tend to wear toques all year around. You definately won't see that in Lancaster, or Ontario.
User avatar
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4357
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:16 pm
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Top

Postby Evenstar_Elfstone » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:40 am

:hug: Hope you feel better soon, Elfy. :)

Ivriniel wrote:
Ugluk wrote:Incidentally, the Amish have a distinct way of dressing. To the untrained observer, they may look similiar to Mennonites, or Old German Baptists, or any one of those like-dressing groups: but there are differences.


Exactly. But most people wouldn't know the difference. (A good indicator for Old Order Mennonite vs. Amish is that married Amish men grow beards but no mustashes while Old Orders are clean shaven. However, there's a small group of Old Orders around St. Jacobs somewhere that started wearing beards, just to confuse everyone. ;) The no mustashe thing comes from the time of the American Civil War, when the style for soldiers was beards with big mustashes. To prevent themselves from being confused for soldiers, they started shaving off their mustashes.)

Recently there were a couple of minor characters on Doctor Who, who were dressed up like the couple in the American Gothic painting. Someone on another message board I was one thought they were supposed to be Mennonites. Their clothes are totally wrong: she's wearing jewelry, he's got a lapel on his jacket, just for starters.

Don't get me started on how TV shows generally screw up the way Amish dress. They tend to give them hats like the Quaker Cereal man, and put them in white shirts and black jackets with lapels. White shirts are generally not worn, as they are considered a symbol of pride. Lapels are also considered too prideful.

Of course, there are also regional differences to what the Amish wear. In Indiana near where my sister lives, Amish boys tend to wear toques all year around. You definately won't see that in Lancaster, or Ontario.


Hmm. I had no idea. After consulting Wikipedia, I've found that they were indeed Amish. The men had straw hats and beards, while the women had calf-length plain dresses on and white bonnets. Which means that a group I saw a couple of months ago in Ohio were, in fact, Mennonites.
User avatar
Evenstar_Elfstone
Ringbearer
 
Posts: 10111
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 6:19 pm
Location: Stalking the Beatles
Top

Postby Ivriniel » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:12 am

Evenstar_Elfstone wrote:
Hmm. I had no idea. After consulting Wikipedia, I've found that they were indeed Amish. The men had straw hats and beards, while the women had calf-length plain dresses on and white bonnets.


White bonnets? Where they made out of a net like material? Because if so, those are prayer coverings, rather than bonnets.

Bonnets, are usually dark coloured and worn over top of the prayer covering.

Sorry if I seem nitpicky. This just reminded me of my brother's Grade 3 Social Studies texbook in which they had switched the labels on the illustrations of prayer coverings and bonnets. The teacher tried to argue with my Dad, until he pointed out that his Mother wore a prayer covering every day of her adult life. (This teacher liked to argue. She also got into an argument with my Mom, who is a nurse about the correct name for the part of the pancreas which produces insulin, and once told her class that quail was fish. :roll:)
User avatar
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4357
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:16 pm
Location: Mississauga, Canada
Top

Postby Evenstar_Elfstone » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:35 am

Ivriniel wrote:
Evenstar_Elfstone wrote:
Hmm. I had no idea. After consulting Wikipedia, I've found that they were indeed Amish. The men had straw hats and beards, while the women had calf-length plain dresses on and white bonnets.


White bonnets? Where they made out of a net like material? Because if so, those are prayer coverings, rather than bonnets.

Bonnets, are usually dark coloured and worn over top of the prayer covering.


Hmm. That's odd. These were definitely bonnets, they were made of a solid material.

Ivriniel wrote:Sorry if I seem nitpicky. This just reminded me of my brother's Grade 3 Social Studies texbook in which they had switched the labels on the illustrations of prayer coverings and bonnets. The teacher tried to argue with my Dad, until he pointed out that his Mother wore a prayer covering every day of her adult life. (This teacher liked to argue. She also got into an argument with my Mom, who is a nurse about the correct name for the part of the pancreas which produces insulin, and once told her class that quail was fish. :roll:)


It's fine, attention to details is never a bad thing and simply makes perceptions and knowledge more correct and complete. :) That teacher sounds like a friend's little brother's fourth grade teacher. They were going over the basics of world religions and the teacher said that there were only two types of Christianity, Catholicism and Protestantism. My friend's family is Eastern Orthodox, so there was obviously a discrepancy there. Her brother politely pointed out to the teacher that Orthodoxy existed. She replied that it was only Eastern Catholicism. He was smart enough to leave it there so that he didn't get into an argument with a teacher. B^

It's also rather reminiscent of my freshman world history teacher. She only knew general stuff and I, as the resident history nut and anglophile, regularly elaborated and contradicted her. I admit that might not have been the smartest course, but she never held it against me. A lot of what she taught was inaccurate, though. I let it slip when she said that Islam doesn't prohibit alcohol because it was early in the year and I didn't know how she'd react. But a few months later, when she claimed that the Crusades were originially instigated by Innocent III and that Henry VII was Henry VIII's older brother? Some might call me a show-off, and I might deserve the title, but I wasn't going to let that go through.
User avatar
Evenstar_Elfstone
Ringbearer
 
Posts: 10111
Joined: Fri May 03, 2002 6:19 pm
Location: Stalking the Beatles
Top

Postby ShadowSwallow » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:42 am

*kicks self for not posting more* :roll:

BT - Yay for culinary success! :D I think I might want that pie recipe... maybe after I've gotten used to cooking gluten-free I could make it. *is waiting on the weather to make some brownies* :D

I've never had cheese with apple pie, but it sounds very nice. One of my dear friend's favorite type of pie is milk pie. It's very... interesting. Delicious, but interesting. :shock:

:hug: Elfy, I hope you feel better very, very soon. :( :hug: :hug: Ginger and peppermint tea are supposed to be good for upset stomachs (ginger tea, however, just made me hyper the last time I tried that :roll:). :)

Oh, and on a kinda-sorta-somewhat related note (:P), my cousin's pregnant. :D She just miscarried this past spring, so she's understandably very nervous, but hopefully she'll be just fine. :D :D

Ugluk wrote:Incidentally, the Amish have a distinct way of dressing. To the untrained observer, they may look similiar to Mennonites, or Old German Baptists, or any one of those like-dressing groups: but there are differences.


Speaking as a homeschooler in Amish country, once you've seen the different groups, there is very little chance of confusing them. ;)

EDIT: In other news, this is post 2,000. Who's going to start the next thread?
User avatar
ShadowSwallow
Ranger of the North

 
Posts: 4010
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:27 pm
Location: Dancing the night away...
Top

Previous

Return to The Library - General Archive

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest