The 25th Emporium...title change! :o)

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Ivriniel » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:31 am

Ugluk wrote:
Ivriniel wrote:Um, your special temp job sounds like it's going to be mostly moving heavy things in the heat as well. ;)

Such things get progressively easier, the more money you're making. :P Besides, we'll be high up in the mountains,

Where there will be less oxygen. Keep that in mind, and don't push yourself to hard, eh? :) I can remember when I was a kid and we went on a trip up into the mountains in New Mexico. I can remember getting winded far more easily while we were there, and not understanding why.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:11 am

I passed out once, was taken to the emergency room because I woke up extremely sick (and because passing out is just not normal for me). It was determined that I had a virus and was dehydrated.

Your sister has my sympathies.

Ivvy: when I was 16 I went to Colorado for a church youth event (called LIFE). They had warnings posted everywhere about the elevation and needing to remember to drink pleny of water and to be careful. I did ok, but I guess they had a few kids who did get sick.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby luthienelflover » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:04 pm

Yeah, give Loth a hug for me. I know how passing out feels and it is so very not fun. Just happened to me again a few days ago, actually. Luckily I didn't have to go to the emergency room this time. :hug: for her.
Alex :heart:
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby AlexSnitzel » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:03 pm

Hugs for Loth. :shock: :(

BT, I parked in front of your office today. 8)
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby oldtoby » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:23 pm

Oooo tell me it was so you could egg his building. :twisted:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby AlexSnitzel » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:55 pm

It was so I could go to German class. ;)

And egging a university building, one that I currently go to... would probably not be the best idea. :wink:
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby oldtoby » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:08 pm

Pfft!!! and you call yourself a college student. :nono: Has Animal House taught you nothing?

:wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Ugluk » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:52 pm

AlexSnitzel wrote:And egging a university building, one that I currently go to... would probably not be the best idea. :wink:

Only if you get caught. :P

I leave tomorrow morning. :shock: And now, thanks to what will almost certainly turn out to be a colossial mistake on the other guy's fault, we're staying in a different motel that may or may not have wireless. We don't know yet. If there isn't, I guess I'll have to take Serenity down to the nearest Starbucks (they've got to have Starbucks there) and order a mint mocha frappe and get online for four or five hours.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby noela » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:36 am

Goodluck Ugluk, take care out there. Fingers crossed on the wireless problem.

Well tonight, we have a Lunar eclipse and it is beautiful. did you have it in the Northern hemi as well?

I am going away for a week or so soon, to babysit my sister's dogs. They are staffies and absolutely spoilt rotten and they just love it, when auntie comes to stay. LOL Guess where my nephew got their names from. Krusty and Nelson. :rofl:

On other good news, one of my other sisters, was talking to me today and her eldest son Patrick, has just landed a job to perform as a Beatle, in a show that will be travelling all round the place. He is going to be George. I can't wait to see the show as he is a fantastic singer and guitarist and like his auntie, a fanatical Beatles fan.
He has his own group, Future Native, and they spent some time overseas this year, They played at the Canadian music festival and in Texas at a couple of places. Also have a large fan base in the UK and germany.

When throwing eggs at any time, you must always follow the golden rule, they must be rotten eggs, for what is the use of throwing fresh ones :roflmbo: :lmbo:
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby balrogthane » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:30 am

Aww Elle that's horrible. :( :cry: :hug: Nothing is more heartbreaking than a pet in pain like that, because there's no way to even try to comfort it.

Alex-- glad you didn't egg Sumwalt. :P

Ugluk-- that sounds pretty bad! Poor Lothy. :( I hope they can figure out just what's wrong. That's scary.

Props to you and Fred on your sibling concern though. :P

Toby-- ooh, fun. :roll: One time I ordered a late Christmas present for my cousin and meant to send it to his house. Right after I placed the order, realized I'd sent it to my own address, not my cousin's. So I fired off an email to the company with cousin's address and a request to send it there instead. They replied that they could not change the address because it was not verified, or something. :roll: So I waited for it to get to our house.

And waited.

And waited.

Almost a month had gone by, and I started to initiate proceedings against them. Before I got everything going, I called my cousin again (I had checked with him a couple times earlier, just in case).

"Oh, yeah, the PS2 multitap got here like 2 weeks ago. It works great!"

:roll:

So, I've been gone all weekend. Our home computer has issues and is going through a Windows reinstall and hard drive replacement. Fun times. Also our internet provider has apparently decided to quit the signal, for no real apparent reason. They claim it's something to do with our computer, but it quit before we did the reinstall; also, we've gone through fully fresh reinstalls (format the hard drives and everything) several times before, and never had any problem with the DSL reactivating on its own.

Also I've become a sort of unoffical tutor. :P Our pastor is about 60 and has avoided computers for as long as they've existed. He's familiar with what they do, at a sort of abstract level, but has never, EVER used one. He apparently did all he could to keep from benefiting in the typing class he was forced to take in college, and of course he's never used a mouse before.

Turns out that, due to some insurance mix-up, he has to get some sort of job now that the government will recognize as going towards Social Security or something... dunno how all that works. :roll: Anyway, he'll need to be able to use computers for that. So, he signed up for CPT 101 at the local community college (actually the one where my dad is the Science Department Head). First class: "All right, everyone, log in to your computer and open Word. Then open a new file and..." Of course, he's lost at "log in." :| So I've met with him a couple of times and gotten him to try some stuff on the church computer. It's certainly a daunting task, if you think about having no experience with all these things that we take for granted-- things that we use so easily and thoughtlessly that we don't even think about using them, unless they quit working, are really inscrutably alien if you don't have the background.

So yeah. :P

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:50 am

Ugluk: don't bet on the Starbucks thing. The closest Starbucks to me is an hour away. :twisted: However, if I really want wireless, I can just hop onto my church's system...which I haven't done because I don't think my laptop is compatable and I haven't bothered to try to find out...:roll:

Anyhow...

I did not accept pro-offered "promotion" because it wasn't, really. I would have gotten a bit of a raise, yes, but not much for the amount of work. And it would have been insane work too. And I'm happy here...more or less.

BTW: I wanted to tell Luthy yesterday and forgot: I've been reading Pearls Before Swine. :D It is fun!

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ivriniel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:26 am

Yikes. I just saw a banner ad for the newest Terry Brooks book. As part of it, they quote the kid who wrote Eragon.

Yeah, I'm gonna read Brooks just because that pretenious twit says "If you haven't read Brooks, you haven't read fantasy." :roll:
Last edited by Ivriniel on Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:31 am

What have I been reading then? Technical manuals for the Millenium Falcon?

:)

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ugluk » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:20 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:What have I been reading then? Technical manuals for the Millenium Falcon?

Hey! I resemble that remark!

I mean.....:whistle:

In most of my own literary circles, it's generally agreed upon that Brooks has written a few books that are above average, and everything else is pretty much trash. Personally, I've never read any Brooks, so I couldn't say for sure. But anything endorsed by Paolini should be treated with extreme skepticism, IMHO.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby balrogthane » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:39 am

If they're looking to Paolini for endorsement they must be in some pretty sorry straits. Pretentious twit indeed. So I suppose Tolkien was nothing much?

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:13 am

But he's old hat. We must now make way for the new and improved fantasy! :D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby AlexSnitzel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:47 am

Has Animal House taught you nothing?

Did you miss where I attempted to steal a road sign on a very busy street the other week?? :P ;)

BT, are you teaching this semester?
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:20 pm

Last night I auditioned for the Notre Dame Chorale, the main choir here, on a whim. I'd lost my voice a tad from helping out with orientation last weekend, but the audition went well and I got in! :D

And they're going on tour in May. To New Zealand. :shock:
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby balrogthane » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:29 pm

Alex-- I'm actually not. Why, are you interested in taking 102? :D

I'm still in Sumwalt, though, with IMI-- they're on the second floor.

OK. So I am pretending to have learned something in chemistry. :P I've got a pot into which I have poured four cans of Mountain Dew (two Diet Code Red, two so-called 'Game Fuel' with Halo 3 advertising thereon). It has been boiled, then simmered, on the stove until approximately 98% of its volume has evaporated. I have now, in a pot on my stove, the ultimate Wakey Juice.

Tomorrow morning: we test it. :o

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:45 pm

AlexSnitzel wrote:
Has Animal House taught you nothing?

Did you miss where I attempted to steal a road sign on a very busy street the other week?? :P ;)

Key word....attempted :wink: :P

in other news, when I got home form work today I was very suprised, and pleased, to discover a note to pick up a package at the apartment complex office. Turned out to be the stuff I ordered off of Amazon the other day. Instead of simply chucking my order as the guy had said they would, they reshipped it to my billing address. :)
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Ivriniel » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:30 pm

balrogthane wrote:

OK. So I am pretending to have learned something in chemistry. :P I've got a pot into which I have poured four cans of Mountain Dew (two Diet Code Red, two so-called 'Game Fuel' with Halo 3 advertising thereon). It has been boiled, then simmered, on the stove until approximately 98% of its volume has evaporated. I have now, in a pot on my stove, the ultimate Wakey Juice.
-(----

That sounds revolting.

Anybody know the boiling temp of cafeine? Wouldn't it be ironic if the cafeine has also boiled away? :)
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby balrogthane » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Indeed it would. However, a little thought would easily show us that this is unlikely, as coffee is regularly heated to boiling without losing its caffeine. A tiny bit more searching (for example, the old standby, Wikipedia, or just a simple Google search) would easily uncover the point at which caffeine sublimes (it does not boil because it does not melt unless also compressed). Incidentally, this temperature is 178 degrees Celsius, a temperature unlikely to be reached in boiling water.

Also, I knew the caffeine wouldn't evaporate, as I had already tried it with a small sample of the Code Red and found that it retained that characteristic bitter taste of caffeine.

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby Tethairwen » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:15 am

BT, as long as you're explaining the method to your madness, you might warn them about that little fire it set off as well. :P Do keep a close watch on the pot once it reaches that 98% evaporated stage. :rofl:

Alex - you're taking German? You never told me! :nono: :P

Ugluk - good luck on the temp job, and here's hoping you do have internet access. ;)

*slaps the pretentious twit with a herring... a rotten one* =:)

[/flyby post]

Teth
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby balrogthane » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:02 pm

*shifty eyes*

Yeah, I learned not to use real Mountain Dew. But with just Diet Mountain Dew, it actually retained the flavor, super-powered! :shock: Kind of like if you put all the lemonade mix into just a little bit of water and then taste that water. :P So, all in all, success!

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby Ugluk » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:26 pm

So, I'm sitting in my hotel (read: motel) room in Tonopah, Nevada. The a/c is finally cranked up and working and I have internet access (w00t).

The drive down here was reasonably uneventful. We spent the night in Goose Lake National Park, although we didn't have a tent. Basically spread a mat on the grass and a sleeping bag on top of that. I laid there with the full moon hitting my eyes, mosquitos biting my forehead, listening to coyotes yapping in the field nearbye. There was also a huge group of geology students camping nearby, playing a guitar around a campfire.

Awhile later we had a couple quail bounce off our windshield. Good times.

The guy I'm riding with, Butch, is driving a 1969 Chevrolet van. It's covered in cracks, there's holes in the floorboards, there's a doghouse between the front two seats, and the battery only lasts about 300 miles before we have to change it out. Top speed is 60 miles an hour. There's no air conditioning or radio, although there is a large American flag painted on both sides.

Butch is a pretty interesting guy. He's been involved with about six different women, although he says he hates them. He's bald, rides a Harley, and makes wood carvings with a chainsaw (and also with more conventional wood-carving tools). He speaks five languages, has lived in Denmark, France, Italy, England, and New Zealand, and is a journeyman electrician, mechanic, wine connoisseur (sp?) and can write several different types of computer code.

He also always carries a handgun and brought a couple down with him. :)

The country here is miserable. It's flat, dry, and dusty. There is no grass anywhere, as far as the eye can see, only a few nasty bits of sagebrush and some rock. There are apparently quite a few Indians that live here, and according to my sources, most of them are either drug addicts or drunks. You're not supposed to make eye contact with them, because that would make them mad. I've no idea whether this is true or not, but that's what I've been told.

Today we got paid $15 an hour for about 9 hours of simply driving around, plus a free lunch. Good times. It's also going to take us an hour to drive to where we'll be working, plus an hour back, and we get paid door to door, so we'll only actually be working for eight hours a day but we'll get paid for ten. :twisted:

I've also been reading The Silmarillion. This will be my first time reading the entire thing straight through, and I'm enjoying it immensely. *slaps Feanor with a dead fish*
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby Ivriniel » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:51 am

balrogthane wrote:*shifty eyes*

Yeah, I learned not to use real Mountain Dew. But with just Diet Mountain Dew, it actually retained the flavor, super-powered! :shock: Kind of like if you put all the lemonade mix into just a little bit of water and then taste that water. :P So, all in all, success!

-(----

If the stuff starts giving you heart palpations, please see a Doctor. ;)

Let me just say, I hate my schedule for this fall with the burning intensity of a thousand suns.

I have morning yard duty three days a week, every other week (when I said the only duty I didn't want to do was morning duty.) Then I have to pick up my class at 8:55 only to hand them off to the French teacher at 9:00. That time first thing in the morning is so important to set the tone of the day, and I miss it. *grr* On top of that, 2 days a week, I get 1/2 an hour with my class after French before my regularly scheduled Gym time. On Thursdays, I don't get any prep time myself, but I have to give prep to a Grade 1 class.

Oh yeah, and on every other Friday, I have yard duty before school and after school.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:27 am

Ugh. :hug: Wow, that's a rough schedule, Ivvy.

Ugluk: Now THAT sounds like a story. Butch sounds like a character in "A River Runs Through It"...one of the unsavory but interesting characters, I might add. You're taking notes I assume?

Hooray on the internet access, BTW. :D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby balrogthane » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:59 pm

Ugluk... wow. Butch sounds like a rather unique fellow. :P

So, funny story today. The prof for my "Bioinformatics and Protein Folding" class (which is shaping up to be not as hard as you might expect for a 700-level class, thanks to it being very reminiscent of a chemistry class I had at Wofford) says 'organisms' kinda weirdly. He puts an emphasis on it. He's from Iran, but has a very, very low-key accent. So it's not a foreign-language thing.

One of us asked him about it, and he related the story to us.

"Well, you see, I'm very careful to say the word 'organism,' because of one time when I didn't."

Class: :? ... :shock: :rofl: :rofl:

He went on to explain that he was at some sort of event one time and found himself surrounded by what he termed "very curious, very conservative Christians" who wanted to know what he did. So he explained, making heavy use of the word 'organism.' Only he wasn't saying 'organism,' but a very different word with only three syllables and six letters. He only realized his mistake after his audience reacted with understandable shock. :rofl:

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby Ugluk » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:19 pm

bt wrote:stuff

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

First day of work went well. Happily, it wasn't that hot outside - we had some lovely storm clouds covering up the sun and a touch of rain. Driving fence posts in isn't as easy as it looks, particularly when you hit bedrock six inches down and it has to go in a foot. Butch and I have been cracking jokes and making fun of each other pretty much all day. He showed me his gun. It's quite nice. Tomorrow, perhaps, we'll have a chance to put some holes in things. :twisted:

Then we went to dinner at a Mexican restaurant, where I text-messaged one of my friends underneath the table while we ate. Good times. There was another old guy there named Boise, along with our boss, Roger, who's no spring chicken himself. We talked about politics and they were impressed with how much I knew, and talked about how these young people nowadays usually don't know anything. There was a discussion about whorehouses, since, after all, we're in Nevada, and prostitution is legal. (we saw several brightly painted whorehouses on the way down).

Somehow the conversation turned to wives, and Butch asked Boise how long he'd been married.

"I was married fifty-five years," he said. "My wife died two years and fourteen days ago....and twenty-two hours."

There was a brief and very uncomfortable pause.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:50 am

Aw. :( :hug: for Boise.

Ugluk: you are definately having an interesting time, aren't you? :D

IrisBrandybuck

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive