The 25th Emporium...title change! :o)

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:23 am

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm at work. :hug:

I've been thinking about Ugluk working at a Harley dealership. Does anyone else find it amusing? I haven't quite figured out why this is amusing, it just is. :D

Some days are grumpier than others...

For Calma :rose:
For Cock-Robin :rose:
For Toby :rose:

May we never forget them. :rose:

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Ivriniel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:58 am

Ugluk wrote:
Ivriniel wrote:Claims around the healthiness of coconut oil came out of studies of Pacific Islanders, but there are too many confounding factors around lifestyle differences to make any statements about the healthiness of the oil.

(bold mine)

The difference is, the claims for health benefits of coconut oil come from a epidemeoligical study of questionable value. The concerns about coconut oil come from the fact that it is high in saturated fats. Diets high in saturated fats have been correlated with heart disease.

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Rohy, I love Kennywood. I live equidistant from Kennywood and Hersheypark, which is about 3 hours either way.

I went to Hershey Park when I was like 8 or so. All I really remember is the kiss-shaped street lights, this jingle that was playing everywhere, and being really disappointed as we went through the "how chocolate is made" exhibit that we didn't actually get to eat any. :(

:)
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:35 am

They still have the street lights, but I don't know about the jingle. You also have a better opportunity to get free chocolate these days. If you ride the chocolate tour they give you a free mini-bar, and they also give you a free mini-bar (chocolate that is, guys, not the kind you find in a hotel!) after riding new rides. :)

Hersheypark has really expanded to include a zoo, a museum, and you can visit the boys school as well, I think. *looks* Okay, I don't know about the school, but there's info here on Milton S. Hershey and here and here for the park itself.

One of the big things around here about Hershey is also the Medical Center, which is state-of-the art, esp. for cancer and heart care. My uncle went to Hershy for his prostate cancer...and died of a heart attack. :P

Kennywood has a different history, being one of the top rated parks in the US with several historic rides, including 3 wooden rollercoasters and a merry-go-round built in 1926. Kennywood

I know, I know, way too much information! :D

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby AlexSnitzel » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:38 am

BT, fine :P, you might be able to uninstall it (news to me) but IE still suxorz. :D
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby Ugluk » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:20 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:I've been thinking about Ugluk working at a Harley dealership. Does anyone else find it amusing? I haven't quite figured out why this is amusing, it just is. :D

*doesn't particularly find it amusing*

*pats you on the head*

:angel:

Ivriniel wrote:*random stuff*

I think you completely missed my point.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby noela » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:15 am

Hi folks, been a while since I last posted. That flu I got, turned out to be the Influenza A, and now I am trying to get over a chest infection as well. At least I caught up with my sleep, as that is practically all I have been doing for 10 days.

Ugluk, how things coming along with the purchase of a new car. have you been sussing any out?

Please don't go buying one of those harleys. Congrats on the job too.

Iris, where is this park?? Maybe I should put it on my "to visit"list, if I ever get over there.

Elle, I have seen all the Bourne movies, except this last one, they are well worth a look.

There are several movies, that I want to go see. Just got to get over this pesky infection first.
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby Ivriniel » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:54 am

Ugluk wrote:
Ivriniel wrote:*random stuff*

I think you completely missed my point.

Your point was that I said coconut oil was unhealthy and that I also said that the study that said it had health benefits had confounding factors that made it difficult to say anything about coconut oil based on that study. You appeared to be implying that based on that we don't know anything about whether coconut oil is healthy or not.

I was pointing out that the concerns around coconut oil come not from that study but other information about the basic makeup of the oil.

It's no skin of my nose if you coat everything you eat in coconut oil. :) I just don't see anything that supports your claim that coconut is one of the healthiest oils.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:42 am

[color=blue]Ugluk: :thppt:

Noela: both parks, Hershey and Kennywood, are in Pennsylvania. Kennywood is in Pittsburgh--the southwestern part of the state--and Hershey, which was founded by chocolate entrepreneur Milton Hershey, is near our state capital, Harrisburg, with is in the south central part of the state. :D You should put both on your list, yes.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ugluk » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:06 am

Ivriniel wrote:Your point was that I said coconut oil was unhealthy and that I also said that the study that said it had health benefits had confounding factors that made it difficult to say anything about coconut oil based on that study. You appeared to be implying that based on that we don't know anything about whether coconut oil is healthy or not.

Allow me to rephrase. You definitely missed my point.

Let's review the initial post:

Ugluk wrote:
Ivriniel wrote:Claims around the healthiness of coconut oil came out of studies of Pacific Islanders, but there are too many confounding factors around lifestyle differences to make any statements about the healthiness of the oil.

(bold mine)

Ivriniel wrote:You have coconut oil in the house? That stuff's supposed to be so bad for you.

Here, I was merely pointing out the delicious irony of you saying that because there are too many contributing factors, we can't make any statements about the healthiness of the oil, while at the same time also saying that the oil is bad for you, in the second quote. It's a fun little way to ninja your opponent in an argument while subtly signalling that I really have no interest in debating the healthiness of coconut oil on an online forum.

In other news, I've been looking at cars, and circling ones that I'm interested in. Last night I tried to get on consumerreports to see what people thought of certain cars, but the stupid website wasn't working.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:16 am

Can we just agree that some people use coconut oil and some don't and leave it at that?

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ugluk » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:36 am

I don't see much point to agreeing to something that's as self-evident as that.

That's akin to saying "Can we just agree that water is wet and leave it at that?"

:P
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:45 am

Except there is such a thing as dry water...

:P

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Evenstar_Elfstone » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:14 pm

*sigh* This has been a horrible day. First, someone told me the wrong time for the field hockey tryouts, so I showed up at 2:00 instead of 4:00. I had to walk to a friend's house with her (she had the 2:00 time too) and then back at 4:00.

Then, when we get there, we discover that because of heat advisory, practice is going to be from 8-11 AM for the rest of August. I don't even wake up until noon, and neither does half of the rest of the team. I'm close to saying I'd rather die of heat stroke than wake up at 7 AM in August. It's unnatural. :angry:

After that, of course, the coach decides to tell us that we're expected to follow school dress code at practice (they want us dressed like nuns, basically. I don't know why she's enforcing this, no one does) and that we'll be doing sprints instead of beltways (a lap around all of the fields). I expected some sprints, but more long distance running. I'm rather screwed since I've been doing beltways all summer, expecting to have to do more of those. B^

The only good piece of news is that I'm all but on varsity because I'm a junior. :)
Evenstar_Elfstone
Ringbearer

Postby elf-maiden » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:11 pm

Augh, that is frustrating, E_E. :x But being on varsity sounds fun. :wink: Speaking of sports in August, my brother is leaving soon to go to football practice, where he'll spend the night at the school and practice some more tomorrow. The weather here has been around 98 to 103 for the last few days, so I'm just wondering how many of those guys are going to have a heat stroke by the end of tomorrow, if not today. :roll:

Also, our car just died on me. The speedometer stopped working and it started making weird noises and random jumps, and then finally died a few miles from home. My dad tried to start it up, but to such luck. :( Typical how I had to kill the car at the end of summer. :roll:
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:35 pm

Sounds like a bad alternator. Same exact thing happened to me a couple of months ago.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Ellehcim » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:23 pm

I find this interesting. School hasn't even started yet, and I'm already getting nervous because my homework isn't done. Yay AP classes. :roll:

Has anyone here read The Shipping News? That's what I have to read for my homework. I haven't yet, but I plan on starting tomorrow. (Which is exactly what I said yesterday. :whistle: )

Ick, E_E. That's no fun. :( But yay for varsity!

Sorry about your car, Elfy. At least you weren't too far from home when it died.

*~*~*Elle*~*~*
Ellehcim
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:31 pm

I know what you mean, E_E. I already had to write an essay about what a liberal arts education means to me. :roll: And thanks, hopefully it won't take too much to fix.

Sounds like a bad alternator.

Ah yes, a bad alternator, of course. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself. :P It's really a shame though, because we've never had much of a problem with that car.
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:23 am

:hug: for E_E, Elsha and Elle. :)

Elle: I've never read the book. I'm told it's good, but of course that's what they said about the Catcher in the Rye, and that book was horrible, I thought.

E_E: It would be bad enough to have to get up at 7, but the dress code AND the sprints...:x

Elsha: *sigh* :hug:

Toby: :lol: And no, I dont' think you look good as a Simpson character! :D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Evenstar_Elfstone » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:01 am

:hug: Thanks, everyone. :) It wasn't so bad. It killed me to wake up that early, but we got a water break every twenty minutes or so. We pick teams tomorrow or Friday. *crosses fingers*

elf-maiden wrote:I know what you mean, E_E.

You mean Elle? :P

elf-maiden wrote:I already had to write an essay about what a liberal arts education means to me. :roll:

I know exactly what you mean. I had to do a packet the size of a dictionary for Spanish, read and annotate the The Great Gatsby, and write an essay on the radicalism of the American Revolution. B^

(Not that I've done the last one yet. :P I've got a month left, after all.)
Evenstar_Elfstone
Ringbearer

Postby elf-maiden » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:54 pm

Evenstar_Elfstone wrote:
You mean Elle? :P

Close enough. :thppt: You kids all look the same these days.

E_E wrote:I know exactly what you mean. I had to do a packet the size of a dictionary for Spanish, read and annotate the The Great Gatsby, and write an essay on the radicalism of the American Revolution. B^

The Great Gatsby? :puke:
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Evenstar_Elfstone » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:19 pm

elf-maiden wrote:
E_E wrote:I know exactly what you mean. I had to do a packet the size of a dictionary for Spanish, read and annotate the The Great Gatsby, and write an essay on the radicalism of the American Revolution. B^

The Great Gatsby? :puke:

My thoughts exactly. :P
Evenstar_Elfstone
Ringbearer

Postby Ellehcim » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:30 pm

Ick, I definitely agree about The Great Gatsby. My English teacher from last year absolutely loves it. She wants to marry Nick. :roll:

Elfy wrote:You kids all look the same these days.

:rofl:

I don't know why I think that's so funny. :P

*still hasn't started homework* I'm using the fact that my friend hasn't gotten back to me about working on it together yet as an excuse. Yay excuses! :D

Edit: So there is nobody around IRL or online right now, but if I don't rant really quick, I am going to burst. So...*rants*

I am so mad right now. And the reason why I am mad is just about the dumbest reason in the world, but that's beside the point. I just can't believe that so many people can be so ignorant and quick to judge and naive. They just don't understand that someone lied because he was under contract, and the only way he could explain things without breaking contract was to lie. And that shouldn't even be a big deal, because everyone else in that house has lied too! With maybe one exception. Still. Judging someone's character on such a small amount of information is absolutely ridiculous. They may all think that they know what's going on, but not one of them was there, so there is no way they can really know. And I realize that it is so sad that I'm so upset over this, but I don't particularly care right now. If anyone of intelligence was around to talk to, I'm sure I'd feel a lot better. All these ignorant people think that their tiny group represents America as a whole, but that is impossible. And I know that, but I really need someone who (quite frankly) isn't an idiot to agree with me on that. I just need to hear the words, and I'll be fine. Unfortunately, nobody is up but me, so that's not about to happen.

:x

[/rant]

Sorry that makes no sense. It makes sense to me, and that's all that really matters right now. And in case anyone was wondering, I was in fact referring to a tv show in much of that rant.

So much for going to bed now. :roll:

*~*~*Elle*~*~*
Ellehcim
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:20 am

Elle...maybe you shouldn't watch TV anymore?

Good morning Emporium! It's bright! it's sun-shine-y! and it is
HOT

IrisBrandybuck

Postby balrogthane » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:45 am

Elle - it's funny 'cause Elfy's such a precocious little kid herself. Aren't you Elfy? So cute and friendly! :D Especially to the n00bies!

Yeah, so now that Elfy's gonna hunt me down and dismember me with a rusty machete, :hug: for Elle. :( I know we've had something like this discussion before... and I'm sorry you had to be brought face-to-face with the gross stupidity of the human race once again. :hug:

Hopefully it is the alternator, Elfy, and you can get it replaced quickly. The alternator is the part that converts the engine's power to electricity, usually by being hooked into the main serpentine belt. So if your car quits producing more electricity, but keeps on using it.... yeah, gonna have a problem. :P

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby Evenstar_Elfstone » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:29 am

:hug: Elle :(

So... I'm dead of exhaustion from practicing two and a half hours in 90 degree heat. How about you guys? :P
Evenstar_Elfstone
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:11 am

:hug: for E_E
:hug: for Elle

Psst, Elle: waiting for you in the Mad Lib thread. :D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby elf-maiden » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:30 am

balrogthane wrote:Elle - it's funny 'cause Elfy's such a precocious little kid herself. Aren't you Elfy? So cute and friendly! :D Especially to the n00bies!

Hahahahaha!!

:|

*dismember*

I don't know if it was the alternator or not, but my dad put a new battery in and it's been running so...we'll see how it goes.

In other news, yesterday my parents found three tiny baby rabbits next to our porch. And they are seriously tiny. :shock: I could probably have fit two of them in one of my palms...and that's saying something. :P Unfortunately, my dad found one of them dead this morning, another one close to death, and the other one weak but otherwise okay. So he brought the two inside and gave them some milk, but the weakest one died. :( The final one is still alive, so hopefully it'll be okay.

Also, I just made some boiled cookies. :love:
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:59 am

[color=blue]Yay for bunnies!! :yippie: But :( because that means something probably happened to the mamma.

Boiled cookies?

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ugluk » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:23 am

Well, I had an interesting day yesterday.

I got a car....I now own a 2000 Chevy Prism, it's quite nice, a remote start, good sound system, 40 MPG highway, 30 in the city, so that's all well and good. It's green, Birdy.

After work Ro and I went to the park to have our yearly pictures taken with King's Theatre. After that was over we headed over to a friend's house to play volleyball and have a BBQ.

My younger sister, Loth, has been having neck problems ever since she totalled my car, and has been wearing a neck brace.

Last night, as we were leaving the friend's house, her legs stopped working and she fell down. We picked her up and all that, but she couldn't walk. The muscles on the top of her legs weren't responding. :shock: So, after a few field tests and phone calls, I carried her out to the car, drove her home, and waited for my mom to get back.

While we're sitting on the side of the road, we see this lady staggering down the road, clearly under the unfluence of something. She slows down when she sees us sitting there, hesitates, then raps on the passenger side window.

I get out, and regard her over the top of the car. "Yes."

"Hey, man," she says in a voice that indicates she's very high, "I'm not from around here, I was just wondering if you know where I can get some powder."

Brief pause.

"No."

"Okay then."

She staggers off down the street, I get back in the car, enjoy a good laugh, and have fun while my sisters try to figure out what "powder" is.

Anyway, my mom gets there, takes Loth to the hospital, and I go to bed.

This morning, I found out that they did an MRI (which revealed nothing) and then basically sat around until 4 in the morning, at which point her legs starting working again, so they came home.

:roll:
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:31 am

You should have offered to get the woman some baby powder. :D

Hope your sister is ok, Ugluk.

IrisBrandybuck

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive