The 25th Emporium...title change! :o)

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:58 am

Ah, I was thinking it was one of those metal reflective signs that cost about $30.

Ok, then! :thumbsup:

I don't believe it, I'm condoning larceny... :shock:

<------ The TVM is going on vacation!

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:58 am

I know what Elle's talking about. :P

I get to see OK Go in concert three weeks from tomorrow! :happydance: I found out yesterday that they're headlining the big start-of-the-year, student-only concert at Notre Dame. I am so ridiculously excited. *bounces* :D
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby Ellehcim » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:21 pm

Elle, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sorry about that. :P I needed to say something, but it wasn't exactly my news to share. So my previous post is what you get in that situation. :P

Alex, that's awesome. We tried to steal a street sign once because it almost had my brother's name one it. Unfortunately, that didn't work out. :P

Today...I am very sleepy. *yawn*

*~*~*Elle*~*~*
Ellehcim
Ranger of the North

Postby Ivriniel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:58 pm

*wavies*

This is from a post on another board, talking about the origin of English. It's so absurd, I had to share. :)

Normans come (French Normans from Goth roots) bringing Roman Catholic Priests who spoke pure latin. The barbaric Celts and Picts are told to worship Catholic God.

No, he's not talking about the Romans, because he's talked about the Vikings (whom he claims were Goths) prior to this.

I'm sure the last Saxon king, Edward the Confessor, whose death sparked the Norman Invasion, would be confused by the suggestion that his people weren't Christians. :D

This guy also claims that English is a Romance language, despite being shown diagrams of the Indo-European language family.

Any comments from our language scholars over here? :)
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby noela » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:37 pm

Hello all, well, what an exciting week you have had, attempted vandalism,
confessions of attempted same and a troubled soul, with doubts about internet dating. :nono: Makes my 5 days away, seem like dull and boring copy. :P

When do you college students, head back or start? Must be soon. When does school recommence, for the juniors? I suppose, that some of you are sorting out stuff and getting ready to pack your bags. So I will say, congratulations to beginners and good luck to all, for the start of the new learning year. Or am I too early? :?

Got back Tuesday afternoon, after spending time at Rebecca's, was totally exhausted, after a full on session with the grandsons. Friday night, B and Zac had a "friendly" game, with an indigenous rep team, under 10's rugby league. Ended in a draw. Brenton scored a great try.

Saturday morning, it was over to the shopping center (mall). The boys had money to buy new clothes etc. They were so excited, as they were to pick out what they wanted and take it through the check out, with Rebecca just supervising. Must say, they have good taste and colour coordination for 10 yr old boys. Jeremy had decided to go riding with a friend, so escaped the day long spree. Found some time to do my own spree, which was good.

That night, Bec, put on a BBQ, and family and friends were invited. Don't you just love, being able to sit round the table, talking and laughing, nibbling on this and sipping on that, the children running around, hopefully getting rid of their sugar rush and the general happiness and love that surrounds you, when you are with family and friends. So relaxing.

Sunday, the twins had their club football game, this time Zac scored a try. When he came off, he was grinning ear to ear, as he had been a way off side, when the kick went up, had a big jump lunge for the ball and did the big dive, to ground the ball. Proud Granny .....you bet. :happydance:

Monday, was all appointments and running around getting my things done.
Then Tuesday, the trip home and food shopping on the way. I love the drive, but find it very tiring.

Yesterday, was a big pain. The 3 water tanks gave up the last of the water, right in the middle of a load of washing, and me doing the house work. Had to turn off the pump and when I turned it on again, it when kaputtie. So only place I can get water at the moment, is in bathroom, which has town water as well from the tanks. Now waiting for electrician to come fix the pump. So all you wonderfull people, next time you are saying your prayers, just ask for some rain for here please, so my tanks can fill again and I don't have to fill up with town water. :cry2:

So that was my week.
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby balrogthane » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:20 pm

Ivvy, the blatant ignorance of people, and their willingness to perpetrate it on others, never ceases to astonish (and frighten) me. :shock: :P Honestly, where did he or she get this crap? I don't even know what it's supposed to mean. I do know that it wasn't the Latin, but the French of the new upper class (the Romantic inclinations of upper class English, I believe, are still with us-- 'lower class' words are often much more Germanic), that the Normans brought with them. And thank goodness for that! It gives us a fantastic vocabulary, even if it didn't change our grammar much.

Noela, yipes! Sounds like you had a much-too-interesting yesterday. :| Cool week though, other than your water going bye-bye...

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby Ivriniel » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:49 pm

balrogthane wrote:Ivvy, the blatant ignorance of people, and their willingness to perpetrate it on others, never ceases to astonish (and frighten) me. :shock: :P Honestly, where did he or she get this crap? -(----

Who knows? Earlier he was claiming that Korea was part of French Indochina, and that during the Japanese Occupation Period, Japan had only occupied a couple of cities, while the French occupied the rest. :blink: He kept insisting that the Korean War was all France's fault. (I bet he also thinks that MASH is set in Vietnam.)

Oh yes, and he also claimed that the reason the US was late into World War Two was because the Depression was so bad. He was praising the recent Doctor Who Dalek two-parter for showing people how bad the Depression really was in America. He seemed to think the Depression only hit the States. Kept calling it the American Great Depression. He also seemed to think the Dust Bowl stopped at the 49th parallel. :rolleyes:

And he claims to be a history major. The rest of us on the board are trying to find out where he got this degree, so we can warn people off. :D
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:08 am

And this guy/girl is for real? :shock:

Seriously, where is this at? I'm a history major and I want to have words with this dude, please.

Please?

Noela: wow, what a week! :hug:

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ivriniel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:14 am

IrisBrandybuck wrote:And this guy/girl is for real? :shock:

Seriously, where is this at? I'm a history major and I want to have words with this dude, please.

Scifi board, Doctor Who forum.

The post I quoted from earlier is on this page. The name of the guy in question is KJC.

He doesn't confine his ignorance to history though. He also is constantly make strange pronouncements about what is and isn't canon in Doctor Who. Arguing canon in Doctor Who is like arguing who Tom Bombadil is. :D

The only people who really know, aren't talking. :)

edit: Now he's trying to claim that the Anglo-Saxons, simply by listening to the Latin liturgy learned enough about the language to apply latin grammatical structures to Old English.

He's also insisting that the Germans didn't exist before the foundation of the State of Germany despite the fact someone posted (in Latin no less) a first century AD document that makes reference to them. He insists on calling all the Germanic tribes Goths.

I swear, the halls of heaven are ringing with the laughter of Tolkien right now, and he's frantically calling Jack Lewis to have a look at the absurdity. :)
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:25 pm

Ivvy, that is the most insane thing I have ever read. :shock: Well, Ok, the most insane think I've read since Newsweek. :P

Anyhow, a GOOD historian will have sources. He doesn't, and he's afraid to admit it.

It was all I could do to keep from creating an account so that I could tell him how stupid he was. :D

Well, you all have it well in hand. Good luck.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ivriniel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:27 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Ivvy, that is the most insane thing I have ever read. :shock: Well, Ok, the most insane think I've read since Newsweek. :P

Anyhow, a GOOD historian will have sources. He doesn't, and he's afraid to admit it.

He never does. Which makes it so much fun to bait him. For every fact you give him, he spins something even wilder to contradict it. :D
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby AlexSnitzel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:17 pm

Argh! I just got suckered into a date. This girl has been saying to me over and over that we should go out for drinks together, and I've always found a way to get out of it... but tonight she said it was going to be her, me, and this other girl who is really nice. So I thought... "well, that's not a date, I can do that"

I just now called to find out when we are meeting up and it turns out the other girl can't make it because of quote, unquote family business.

Rats.

Awkwardness insues!
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby Ivriniel » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:48 pm

Yikes.

Good luck on that one, Alex. :)
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Ugluk » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:04 pm

Hmmm.

I'm assuming, then, that she doesn't know?

Yeah, I can see how that could be kind of awkward.

In unrelated news, I found out today that a friend of mine is now working at the Harley store with me. Yayness! A friend.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby AlexSnitzel » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Nope.

She does now though!

:wink:

But honestly, how could she not know? I mean... sure I'm not very stereotypical, but just take a close look at the music I listen to... that should have given her a hint... :P

It wasn't as awkward as I thought it was going to be. We met up with some folks there, including a girl who is a regular at my Starbucks (I previously knew her as the "tall brewed coffee" girl.) I got licked by a random guy on the forehead. Drinks were had. Dances were done. All in all a fun night.

Cool about the friend! Working with someone you like makes the day go by so much easier.
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:23 pm

Sounds like an interesting time, Alex. :P

So I got into my dorm. Everything is finally unpacked and set up, and the room I'm in is apparently one of the biggest. =:) Most of them are connected to another room and all four girls share a small bathroom and closet. Well, this room is by itself, has one huge walk in closet, and a pretty big bathroom with tub and shower, while the rest just have a shower. Score! 8)

My roommate seems pretty cool so far. Definitely doesn't seem like Blake-material. :)

Florida also seems slightly cooler than it was in Illinois. :roll: The trees here are beautiful with Spanish moss growing all over them. And I've seen two lizards so far. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Also, is Myspace not working for anyone else? :?
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Ivriniel » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:00 am

So I turn on my computer this morning and I see this message:

"None of your regular networks can be found. Would you like to join this open network: MiddleEarth"? :shock:

:D

(I turn my modem and WiFi off at the powerbar at night, so I just turned it on and joined my regular BadWolf network instead. )
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:50 am

Alex, maybe you should have brought that up earlier?

Elsha: :thumbsup:

*goes to take a nap*

IrisBrandybuck

Postby AlexSnitzel » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:11 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Alex, maybe you should have brought that up earlier?

Better in theory. It's not exactly a "How about this weather? Oh and by the way..." type of thing. For example, I just recently told 2 friends I've known for over a year because I could never figure out a way to bring it up. Maybe I should get a "Hai I'm gay" :P t-shirt but to be honest I don't really think it's that important anymore... I definitely don't want to be defined by it.

Ivvy, yay for being in Middle-earth. :D
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby elfshadow » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:03 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Elsha: :thumbsup:

Hi. I'm elfshadow, otherwise known as Elsha. Not to be confused with elf-maiden, otherwise known as Elfy.

:P

:whistle:

:D

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, everyone! Busy with summer classes and getting ready to go back to school and such. I'll post more if I can, but I won't make any promises. I still love you all. :hug:
elfshadow
Ringbearer

Postby Ugluk » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:01 pm

Just in case anyone is wondering, it's officially a bad idea to spill battery acid on yourself. If it gets on your clothes, it just burns cute little holes in them, but when it gets on your skin, it burns through your skin and down into your flesh, creating little holes in you that hurt like a mother.

And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience here..... :P
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby elf-maiden » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 pm

Well so much for all that battery acid I just bought. :x Oh well, I'm sure I can find a use for it.

Thank you, Elsha. :thumbsup: And have a safe trip back to DC!
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby balrogthane » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:14 am

Ugluk, thank you for your selfless work to make an example of yourself, thus ensuring that the rest of us read the warning label on the battery cover. :P Sulfuric acid does have rather a reputation...

Alex, well, glad you got that sorted out... :P

Elsha, glad to hear things are looking good at your new dorm. :)

:whistle:

Seriously, that's awesome, Elfeh. :thumbsup: How'd you swing such a cavernous room?

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:43 am

Elky, Elsha...
Po-tay-to, Po-tah-to
Whatever...

:P

IrisBrandybuck

Postby noela » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:03 am

Elfy, great news about your new digs,ooh I bet that dates me LOL.
Maybe, we will hear from you a bit more.

Ugluk, seems like you are getting through your life experiences at a fast rate. Did you flush the area with water? Just incase this ever happens again, 10 minute flush under running water, with help minimise the acid burn. Of course not spilling it in the first place, is a much better idea.

Great news from me this week. I decided to drive down to see B and Zac, play their last game on Sunday. Bec said to me, just follow Tilley road Mum, you can't miss it. Guess what, never and I mean never, ask my daughter for directions, or use her as a navigator. The footy club was about 6 kilometers away from Tilley road and it took me over half hour to find it. Ummm you better not depend on me to follow direction either, hahahaha, I had to stop and ask where it was, and got lost, so I asked another man, and found I was on the right road, but heading the wrong way. The boys game was very good, even if they didn't win and were very surprised and happy to see grandma there.

The best news, was that it started raining on Sunday, and we have had about 35mm of rain (over 1 inch), which has filled my rain tanks and the weather people say that there is more rain to come over the next week.
Not wanting to get our hopes up, but they say the present weather system is very similar to the one prior to the 74 flood, which saw most of Queensland under water. So fingers crossed, our 7 year drought may be nearly over.
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby Ivriniel » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:03 am

Ugluk wrote:Just in case anyone is wondering, it's officially a bad idea to spill battery acid on yourself. If it gets on your clothes, it just burns cute little holes in them, but when it gets on your skin, it burns through your skin and down into your flesh, creating little holes in you that hurt like a mother.

And yes, I'm speaking from personal experience here..... :P

Yikes, Ugluk, what were you doing? Did it happen at work?

The nastiest acid out there has to be hydrofluoric acid though. The pain reaction is very delayed, giving it lots of time to do all kinds of internal damage (it really doesn't react with the skin all that much, it just passes through at gets at internal tissues) before the person who has been exposed knows what is going on.

The Wiki article doesn't say it, but my Methods of Environmental Science Prof said it was highly toxic to nerves, which is why the pain reaction is delayed.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby noela » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:07 am

Ivvy, you are so right about that, during my years in the ER, I saw many of these type of burns, and every person only came to the hospital, hours afterwards. The treatment for this acid burn, is very different from any other type, and can only be administered in hospital, water flushing helps, but doesn't stop the chemical reaction.
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby balrogthane » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:17 pm

We never actually messed with hydrofluoric acid in chem lab ourselves, but our analytical prof told us about his professor having some splash on his thumb once.... said he washed it ASAP, but since its poisonous he had a huge swelling on his thumb for a month afterward.

We really had pretty tame chemistry labs. Most exciting thing was when someone refluxed their organic set a little bit too long and it blew up in the fume hood. :P

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby Ivriniel » Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:44 pm

When we started our Methods of Environmental Science Course, we got a warning from the Lab Tech. He told us a story about one idiot who drank indicator dye because he "wanted to piss blue". The guy ended up in the hospital. When he got out, he was banned from labs at the University and had to change his major.

Then one of my Profs told us that she once blew a fume hood out of the building into the parking lot.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:39 pm

Elfy (that is your name, right?...right? :P ) you're making me excited to help my freshmen move in! Your room sounds incredible. You have your own bathroom? :shock: I share two showers and stalls with 25 girls. :P

And yay! for a non-Blakezilla roomie! :D Good luck with classes, when they start. :hug:

Alex wrote:Maybe I should get a "Hai I'm gay" :P t-shirt but to be honest I don't really think it's that important anymore... I definitely don't want to be defined by it.

Good for you. If that makes sense... :P

Ugluk, you aren't rethinking your job at the Harley store, are you? :P

Noela, yay for rain! :hug: My area has had all of .02 inches of rain in the past month and a half... :shock:

*waves to people* I'm officially finished with my summer job, and I leave for school Wednesday. Can't wait! :D
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive