Emporium26 - It's Not Like Corn Mazes Are Exclusive To WA!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Tigerlily_Took » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:57 pm

My English teacher announced that L'Engle died in class a few days ago. We were all pretty bummed. She postponned our paper though. Whooot.

That paper, btw, is why I'm never on here anymore.

And because my laptop hates me 79% of the time.

*misses Elfeh!* COME BACK!

Hope you are all well!

-T_T
Tigerlily_Took
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:06 pm

T_T!! :love: *misses* :(

I should be back for Christmas though! :D
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Ugluk » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:16 pm

I just found out that my Uncle Jason is in the hospital with spinal meningitis. Which apparently makes your brain swell. I'd really appreciate itf if you would all keep him in your thoughts and prayers. :(
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby noela » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:53 am

Ugluk. Count it as done. My prayers for your Uncle Jason will be extended for you and your family, to give you strength and courage.

:( :hug:
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:07 am

oldtoby wrote:
I believe I'm also missing out on the "college experience," Toby. Darn

Thats ok, :wink: I did too the whole time I was there.

Me too.

We're making up for the sobriety of our youth now, however :D...as long as I can do it before 10 p.m.

Some days are grumpier than others...

For Calma :rose:
For Cock-Robin :rose:
For Toby :rose:

May we never forget them. :rose:

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Evenstar_Elfstone » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:45 pm

I'm so sorry, Ugluk! I'll be praying for him. :(

So... it seems like I'm getting the college experience without the fun. All college-level classes, add on a sport, I have no time to do anything, other than read for a half an hour when I really should be asleep anyway.

I'll have to do all my homework tomorrow, which sucks, but I just got back from seeing that new hippie movie, Across the Universe. I love the music and would probably buy it just for that and the story line, but the characters were kind of underdeveloped (which I think tends to happen in a lot of musicals anyway, as you're only focusing on the main plot). So, if you like the Beatles, it's a must see. :)

Oh! And the field hockey team won for the first time last night!!! :D

:happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance::happydance:
:clap::clap:
:horse::horse:
:yippie::yippie:
Evenstar_Elfstone
Ringbearer

Postby elf-maiden » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:22 am

Happy birthday, Luthy!!! :yippie: :horse: :heart:

Congrats on the win, E_E. :thumbsup:
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby lady*of*rohan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:48 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUTHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to visit some of my friends at their college today!! :yippie: :yippie:

So Happy!

*is listening to Wicked*

huggles
:angel: Rohy

Edit: Check out my post count!
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby ShadowSwallow » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:28 am

Happy Birthday Luthy, Bilbo, and Frodo!!!!

:yippie: :yippie: :yippie: :yippie: :yippie:

:rose:

It was my birthday yesterday...
ShadowSwallow
Ranger of the North

Postby Tethairwen » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:28 am

Happy Birthday, Everyone! :drink: :happydance:

That includes you, Birdy. ;)

Ugluk - I'll be praying for your uncle. :hug:

Rohy wrote:Yup there are still people who hunt with bow an arrow.

We had a friend come to our place to go deer hunting with a bow. I even went along a couple of years ago, but he didn't get anything that time. And we too have a special bowhunting season.

Toby wrote:Sounds to me like he doesn't even know what college is really for.... partying, getting drunk and skipping class ;) :twisted:

I missed the college experience too, then. I don't think I missed much though. :P I don't party, don't drink, and have never intentionally skipped class, unless I had a very important event that I wasn't allowed to miss.

Also? I had a preliminary interview yesterday for a spring internship. If I get it, it'll bump my graduation date from May to December, but it'd be well worth the extra time. And it pays really well. *is teh nervous*

Teth
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:19 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUTHY!!!!

Um, I was going to say something else, but I don't remember what it was...:roll:

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ivriniel » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:04 pm

Ugluk wrote:I just found out that my Uncle Jason is in the hospital with spinal meningitis. Which apparently makes your brain swell. I'd really appreciate itf if you would all keep him in your thoughts and prayers. :(

I'm sorry to hear that, Ugluk.

Meningitis is an infection of the Meninges that surround the central nervous system, including the brain. My brother had it as a baby.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:12 pm

[shame]

I didn't realise the significance of the 22nd September until I read SS's post just now, and now it's no longer the 22nd here. :(

[/shame]

Anyway, happy belated birthday to anyone who thinks they deserve it.

Ugluk, :hug: and prayers for your uncle.

Uh, I don't have much else to say. I just went to see a film and didn't understand any of it. :|
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Ivriniel » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:22 pm

We had a friend come to our place to go deer hunting with a bow. I even went along a couple of years ago, but he didn't get anything that time. And we too have a special bowhunting season.

When I worked in Parks, one of my Assistant Supers used to go bow hunting. (Not in the park, though. :D)

Some people even go bowhunting for Carp, believe it or not. :shock:

Enty, we get a two hour season finale of Doctor Who on Monday, with SoD and LotTL. :) Alas I got spoiled as to whom Saxon is by someone's poor choice of thread title on another website months ago. (I had convinced myself that all the rumours about John Simm's character were a smokescreen, and that he was going to be revealed to be Omega or something.)

I'm going into downtown Toronto tomorrow, and I'm tempted to make some "Vote Saxon" posters, to take alone especially since we're currently in the midst of a Provincial election. :D
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Ugluk » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:20 pm

Ivriniel wrote:Meningitis is an infection of the Meninges that surround the central nervous system, including the brain.

Point being?
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby oldtoby » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:54 pm

Well I imagine it will be useful if you ever go on "Jeopardy!" :wink:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Ugluk » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:20 pm

oldtoby wrote:Well I imagine it will be useful if you ever go on "Jeopardy!" :wink:

I suppose so, but I was asking for thoughts/prayers/wellwishes to be with my uncle, not a biology lesson that can be found on Wikipedia for anyone who might be interested in that. :)
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby Ivriniel » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:46 am

Ugluk wrote:
Ivriniel wrote:Meningitis is an infection of the Meninges that surround the central nervous system, including the brain.

Point being?

Just that if the infection is in the lining around the brain, it makes sense that there would be swelling.

I hope that my comment didn't seem insensitive, as that was not my intent. I know what Meningitis can do to a person :(, and I'm praying that your Uncle comes through ok.

Ugluk wrote:
oldtoby wrote:Well I imagine it will be useful if you ever go on "Jeopardy!" :wink:

I suppose so, but I was asking for thoughts/prayers/wellwishes to be with my uncle, not a biology lesson that can be found on Wikipedia for anyone who might be interested in that. :)

For the record Ugluk, some people use technical/medical information as a defense against subjects that make them quite emotional.

My family still lives with the consequences of my brother's infection. Again, I'm praying that your Uncle will have nowhere near the impact that my brother did. I imagine your Uncle probably got prompter medical treatment than my brother (who was an orphan in South Korea at the time, living with someone who was not giving him his TB meds properly) did, and won't see anywhere near the same impact.

I imagine you're upset right now, and if picking on me makes your feel better, by all means, go ahead.

On an unrelated note, the Lieutenant Govenor of Ontario, the Honourable David Onley is coming to my school on Wed. (The Lieutenant Govenor is the Queen's representative in Ontario.) Last year, a group of kids with the assistance of a couple of teachers entered Scholastic's Kids are Authors Contest, and won, so he's coming for the ceremony.

There's nothing like a visiting dignitary to get all the maintenence that should have been done throughout the year done quickly to a school. :roll: They were weed whacking outside my portable for the last hour of class on Friday. They also finally picked up the dirty pair of underwear that has been sitting outside my portable since at least August. (I've been watching it to see how long it would take. I imagine it would still be there, if the LG wasn't coming.)

I hope they pull all the thistles out of the front flower bed. They're so tall and thick you can't see the shrubs in the bed. Last time I pulled them, I ended up with a rash the length of my arms.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:51 am

:hug: for Ugluk. I'm not ignoring you, I just don't know what to say, so I hope a hug is sufficient.

Ivvy: Bow fishing is big here in my area, though I don't know about the state at large. When this guy was telling me about it it was all I could do to keep from saying: "You hunt fish.

With bow and arrow.

Uh huh."

:D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ugluk » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:59 am

Ivriniel wrote:I imagine you're upset right now, and if picking on me makes your feel better, by all means, go ahead.

I'm not picking on you, and there's no need to talk down to me. I'm not one of your students, and kindly do not treat me as one.

I realize that you probably did not mean to offend or to be insensitive, but the original comment did seem very insensitive to me. To be frank, I could care less about the technical details surrounding meningitis (although I admit this could be a coping mechanism for other people). I just want my uncle to get better. It came across as a rather crude way to insert a bit of medical knowledge into a conversation that had no need of it.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby elf-maiden » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:49 am

So true, Ugluk.

Anyway, I had a pretty good weekend. Friday I went to my first play (yay!), which was performed by alumni and some faculty. The play was called Lily, the Felon's Daughter, and it was amazing. The best part was by far the Englishman, Lord Monty, who was simply hilarious. :D And the villian's mustache would get a little longer in each of his scenes, so at the very end it looked like a spiral. :rofl:

...you'd have to be there. :P

Saturday I finished some stuff and watched movies. 8) And today my English professor gave us an article about how bad USF students write, which was amusing.
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby balrogthane » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Ugluk. An uncle is either the brother of a parent or the husband of a sister of a parent. :)

Also, take a look at my new sig pic! It's kinda tricky to make it work if you've never done this sort of thing before, but give it a try. Instructions are in my signature itself. It's nothing fascinating or anything, but I think it's cool how you can make the different parts of the picture pop. I'm gonna try doing it to something more real-world next time. :D

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby lady*of*rohan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:51 am

:hug: Ugluk- I'll keep him in my prayers.

So yesterday I called a random guy who posted his phone number on postsecret saying that no one called him so the person who posted a thing about being lonley could call him. So even though I wasn't that person I called him. We talked for about 3 minutes I wished him a good day. He was a college student from South Dakota. He said he'd gotten over 50 calls since he'd posted it the day before.

Oh cool is that?

huggles
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby Ugluk » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:37 am

Rohy is a stalker. :P

Last night was my first night over in the basement of the new house. Originally, I intended to get online and post a long creepy message of my thoughts, e.g.:

I'm sitting here. It's completely dark except for the illumination of my computer screen. Behind me the paint is peeling off the cement wall. Along the edges of the carpet there is mold which is likely toxic. I can hear small skittering noises inside the wall - disease-carrying rodents, no doubt. I am alone, utterly alone....

Stuff like that. Then I try and get online and I need an access code. And the only person who has the access code is already asleep. :roll:

So here it is, the next day, after a night of unsettling dreams, and I'm using someone else's computer because they can't find the stupid access code.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:40 pm

Ugluk, any news on your uncle? :hug:

My brother got engaged over the weekend! :happydance: He proposed to his girlfriend on the beach at sunset. Does it get any more perfect? :love:

I'm crazy-busy...well, not really, but I should be. Because I'm applying to study at Oxford all next year. The application is due in mid-October, and in addition to the regular personal statement and references and everything, I have to turn in an 8-10 page sample of my writing. So I should be working on that...but instead, I mostly sit at my desk and think about how much I have to get done for it. :roll:

I really want to go though. Seriously. :shock:

Elfy, it seems you're enjoying college? :D

*throws very belated birthday wishes at various people and ducks out*
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby lady*of*rohan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:22 pm

*isn't a stalker*

Oh by the way.....look behind you.

:P

Elanor! Thats awesome about your brother....thats so sweet.

huggles
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby Ugluk » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:34 pm

I feel bad because I spent a bunch of money today (albeit mostly on things I needed). And some money on things I didn't really need, and while I was putting some books and DVD into a new bookcase, I was astonished at just how much stuff I had. So I thought about getting a T-shirt made with the message on the front (that would be comprised of various company logos) that says:

I SUBSCRIBE TO CONSUMERISM

In other news, my uncle is doing much better. :horse:
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby elf-maiden » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:48 pm

Elanor, that'd be so amazing to study at Oxford. :shock: I hope you can go! And I know what you mean about wasting time thinking about all the things you have to do. :roll:

And yes, college is much more enjoyable than high school. If it weren't for my Public Speaking class I'd be pretty darn happy. :P

That's awesome about your uncle, Ugluk! :)
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:57 pm

Public Speaking, huh? Don't blame you... :P

Ugluk, yay for your uncle! :D

And...ugh...I hate writing papers. But I did make some progress on my Oxford application. Kind of...
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstar_of_Imladris » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:24 am

Hello!!!!

I didn't see this thread when I was by the other day and I thought nobody started a new one! :shock:

Anyhoo...what's shakin' and bakin'? :)
Evenstar_of_Imladris
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive