Emporium26 - It's Not Like Corn Mazes Are Exclusive To WA!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:22 am

Ugh.
*is tired*

Last night one of the local post offices burned An article is here. It was the post office where my mom worked for 19 years, so she was understandably upset. I was too, we were both crying. It's a very old building and the fire fighters had a hard time fighting the fire. No one was hurt, thankfully.

But it's very sad.

<------ The TVM is going on vacation!

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Evenstar_Elfstone » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:05 pm

:hug: I'm so sorry, Iris! :( At least no one was hurt, that would have been horrific.

:shock: That's a predicament, Ugluk.

So... I've got a problem. The field hockey coaches have decided to be *TOS*es and move all of the good people on JV onto varsity, even at the risk of not playing with a full team. So, basically, they're saying that they don't give a whit about us. Kind of unfair, neh? B^ If they keep moving people (they've already done it for two and are considering a third) I might leave. It's more complicated than that, though. I'm doing the IB Diploma, which requires 50 hours of action over the course of two years. If I leave, I'll have all of my hours, but I won't get credit for them because there's no way the coach would sign the form if I quit the team.

Three people have already said I should leave, but I'm not too confident about it... If we get to the point where there are no subs left on JV, it'll be a very likely possibility.
Evenstar_Elfstone
Ringbearer

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:50 pm

EE, if you already have your hours then you should get your coaches to sign now. Tell them you're starting to compile all the requirements, and since that one's been fulfilled you'd like to have it checked off. Then you can quit later if you feel like it. :P

Ugluk, I really hope you can work something out without too much trouble. :hug: That's definitely not a fun situation.

Iris, I'm glad nobody was hurt. But it's a shame when a building with that kind of personal history is destroyed. :hug:

I'm going to see OK Go tomorrow night! :shock: You have no idea how excited I am. :D
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:23 am

E_E, that's really annoying. :x Elanor's idea sounds pretty good though, if you can pull if off.

*has never heard Ok Go* 8)

So, I met a Holocaust survivor last night. The college had him speaking about his experience. He was 14 when he and his family were taken by the Nazis, 17 when the Jews were set free. During that time, he spent time in Auschwitz and Flossenbürg, was in the Death March, and 15 members of his family died, including his mom, dad, sister, brother, and grandmother. I got to shake his hand and talk to him a bit afterward. It was neat.

Other than that, not much going on with me. Lots of school stuff going on.
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby AlexSnitzel » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:53 am

Elfy - wow... just wow.

EE, yikes!! I hope that works out for ya. :hug:

So I've been having WAY too much fun with my new espresso machine. Two words: nutella latte.
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby Tethairwen » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:30 am

Alex - two words: me wantey! :D
(and why are you here, but not on msn? huh? huh? :P )

Elfy - wow, that must have been a neat experience. :)

EE - I like Elanor's idea... and if they don't sign, you can threaten them with us. And Luthy's modbat. =:)

Iris - aww, that's horrible. :hug: Good thing nobody got hurt, though. :)

Ugluk - man, that stinks. :( I hope you find a place without too much trouble.

I'm royally ticked off right now. One of my suitemates has been putting silly definitions on the kitchen fridge's whiteboard for words like sleep, ice cream, etc. They've been enjoyable until today, when I noticed the new one was for the word "boy". It was fairly long, but part of it read "a species incapable of communication or intelligent human interaction; an idiot". Yeah. :angry: :club:

And I have to pay tuition today, which sucks. And I have an exam too. And for my online class, I have two quizzes and a paper due Monday, which they neglected to tell me about until two days ago. :roll: So I'll be stuck at uni this weekend, getting all that done.

Teth
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby lady*of*rohan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:42 pm

It's so strange...this is a new thread and I didn't even realize we were getting close. I didn't even try to make the first page. Ahh...*laments for the old times*

So I'm kinda in a weird mood. Sad you could say....

Two Saturdays ago a guy that I a graduated with back in June was in a head on car crash. He's been in the hospital and was declared brain dead. Monday his family decided to take him on life support. I went to the showing yesterday with my mother and it was a completely strange feeling. I didn't know the kid that well. (he was a little bit on the mentally slow side) but he always said hi to me. He was so nice and always smiling and everything. I saw him the day before the accident and he said hi and waved at me. Then the next day...well I just don't know. I cried and I don't normally cry. What got to me was that he was the same age as me. It was the first person from our class to die.

:(

I'm so depressed right now. I don't know why it hit me so hard.

huggles
:angel: Rohy
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstar_Elfstone » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:33 pm

Thanks for the idea, Elanor, but they're smarter than that. They'd ask why I didn't just wait until the end of the season. :P

So, I met a Holocaust survivor last night. The college had him speaking about his experience. He was 14 when he and his family were taken by the Nazis, 17 when the Jews were set free. During that time, he spent time in Auschwitz and Flossenbürg, was in the Death March, and 15 members of his family died, including his mom, dad, sister, brother, and grandmother. I got to shake his hand and talk to him a bit afterward. It was neat.

I met one last June. She was 15 when they invaded Lithuania. She was separated from her mother, father, and siblings. Her father died, while the rest were eventually reunited somewhere in Germany. It was incredible the way she told the story...

MEGA :hug: rohy
Evenstar_Elfstone
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:39 pm

Rohy::hug:

I've just had a bizare day. It started when we, as a newsroom staff, took the woman who is retiring out to lunch today. Well, there are only 2 guys in the newsroom and the one, Jeff, didn't have a ride, so I said I'd take him over. When we got to the restaruant the one girl, jokingly, said, "I don't want to sit by Jeff!" and I replied, "Oh, fine, I'll sit beside him." And that was about it.

Tonight when I got to work I told her "Jeff behaved himself in my car." Well, the other guy on nightshift tonight started laughing and said, "That did not sound good."

Well, that did it...we laughed about that, then he volunteered to get snacks and I got some money out and accidentally called him Jeff. :roll: And then I did it again and there was no end to the teasing...they wanted to know how long we've been dating, etc. etc. :roll:

AND, one of the women promised to tell Jeff monday morning. *sigh*

:lmbo:--it WAS funny.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ivriniel » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:37 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:
I also had an argument with a Dell representative,

A few years back, as a signing bonus for our contract, ever teacher in Toronto got $480 to spend on something for our classrooms. You had to have it spent by a certain day. I had a friend who wanted to buy a laptop (they would give you the $480, and they you'd pay the rest), but she left it kind of late. She was ordering one over the phone from Dell, and asked if they could rush deliver the bill to her, so she wouldn't miss the deadline. The Dell representative said he'd have to ask his supervisor and put her on hold. When he came back, he said they'd rush deliver the bill but that would be $100 extra. :shock:

She said "Um, you understand I just want the bill rush delivered, not the computer?" He said, "Yes". She asked to speak to the supervisor who told her the same thing.

So she ended up going to a store and buying a laptop there instead.

Iris: Sorry to hear about the post office. :(

Elfy: Love the sig pic. :D
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby AlexSnitzel » Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:52 am

So on a whim last night I wore safety goggles during my shift.

"Here's your latte, have a science-riffic day."

*sits on Teth*
AlexSnitzel
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:31 am

Wow Alex, that's hott. :P Did you really say that to people? :rofl:

Rohy :hug: I know how you feel. Last year was the first in about three years that nobody in our high school died. I never knew the people, but it was still depressing just walking down the halls. I can see how it'd be worse for you since you kind of knew the guy. :hug:

Also, my brother's going to have to have surgery. Apparently he has a torn tricep tendon. He's in football, and last week he dislocated his elbow during a game and had a doctor there pop it back in. And I guess the X-ray he got after didn't show it...but yeah.

EDIT: *has a cool post count* 8)
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Tethairwen » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:21 pm

Alex!!! :rofl: :lmbo: :rofl: :lmbo: You rock. :D (and the faux-hawk! 8))
But how dare you sit on me! *smicks you* :P

Elfy - :hug: for your brother and 8) for the post count. ;)

Rohy - :hug: :hug:

In other news... anybody know how to use FireFTP? Or know of a different free FTP client that works in Firefox? I can't get it to log me in, and I need to update a website asap. :|

Teth
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby Ivriniel » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:44 pm

AlexSnitzel wrote:Elfy - wow... just wow.

EE, yikes!! I hope that works out for ya. :hug:

So I've been having WAY too much fun with my new espresso machine. Two words: nutella latte.

That frightens me. I'm allergic to coffee and hazelnuts. :(

Elfy: I hope your brother's surgery goes smoothly. And speaking of injured arms, how is yours doing these days?
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:10 am

It's been aching a lot recently, actually. Nothing really bad though.
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:54 pm

Alex: :D It took me a half beat to realize that the picture was really you. :rofl:

Ivvy: I did finally get the computer ordered, I found another ad with a different code for the same thing, but with the right amount of memory.

So yesterday my best friend and I went with our mother's to Kennywood Park in Pittsburgh to use the tickets I won. The main artery in, from the east, was blocked off for construction before the appropriate exit and we got sent on this detour through a residential area. We were SO lost, and being the country hicks we are...well, we're just obvious, you know? But we did finally get there and I've decided I'm getting too old for this. :roll: I ended up so sore from the wicked rides.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby balrogthane » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:28 pm

Alex - nice. :rofl: Y'all nutter Starbucks employees. :P

Elfy - good luck for your brother! My mom is sure LEGO boy is going to injure himself playing football... guess we'll see.

Two things: A Law & Order episode generator and, much more importantly, Robot Insurance. :rofl:

(both links from an unlinkable site :P )

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:32 pm

BT: this Law & Order fan shakes your hand. :rofl:

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Tethairwen » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:11 pm

BT, you're insane. Not that it's any surprise. :P :rofl:

Elfy - :hug: for the sore arm.

Iris - construction detours are a pain, aren't they? :roll: And I don't go on crazy rides anymore, not just because I dislike being sore, but because I've got back problems, and the last thing I need is injuring it again just because I wanted to have a few minutes' thrill. :P (Also, I absolutely abhor standing in line... I haven't the patience for it. :roll:)

So, I have a case study due in just over two hours... should I study for it, or do something more fun? :whistle: I turned in a paper for my online class just 6 minutes before the midnight deadline the other night, horrible procrastinator that I am. :lol:

*putters about with food*

Teth
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:44 pm

*is back*

*swoons for Ivvy's sig*

*also for the CS Lewis quote in Iris'*

So, how's things?
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Tethairwen » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:59 pm

Laurel! *megaglompage* Good to see you back. :D :hug:

How've you been? :)

Teth
Tethairwen
Ranger of the North

Postby balrogthane » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:22 pm

Laurel! *tackle* Glad you're finally back! :D :D

:drink:

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby Ivriniel » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:58 pm

entmaiden_laurelin wrote:*is back*

*swoons for Ivvy's sig*

We get Utopia on Monday, and then a two hour run of The Sound of Drums and The Last of the Time Lords the following week on CBC. I haven't downloaded ahead of this, so I'm quite looking forward to it. :)
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby K.Evenstar » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:20 am

Laurel! Hi! It's been a long time. Must chat on MSN sometime.
Oooo... Dr Who! Oooooo! *hops up and down with suppressed must-not-say-anythingyness.*
A very well-cast song in the final episode I thought. Will say no more.

How's things in the Emporium?

I'm still alive as yet. Need a job though. And somewhere to live.
K.Evenstar
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:43 am

Laurel! *tackleglomphug* :D

Teth: I have back problems too, which is one reason I think I may have to start laying off the coasters. There are some I know I can do without a problem...the Racer at Kennywood and the Great Bear and Sooperdooperlooper at Hershey are all pretty smooth.

Blech...I'm just getting old. :D we were sitting in Bob Evans that night and S. looked at me and said, "Wow, you really DO have some gray hairs, don't you?" I said, "Yeah, they call came today from being lost in Pittsburgh." :P

IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ivriniel » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:08 pm

So now the English is a Romance language guy, just spent a day arguing that Indian Tigers used to travel to Africa to mate with African Lions.

Now he's claiming that Pandas are Marsupials. It's amazing to watch him work. :lol:
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:28 am

I love this guy...he's so amusing! :rolf:

got another link? :D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:12 am

*hugs everyone*

So now the English is a Romance language guy, just spent a day arguing that Indian Tigers used to travel to Africa to mate with African Lions.

Now he's claiming that Pandas are Marsupials. It's amazing to watch him work.

:rofl:

Ivvy, I almost envy you having that to look forwards to. :D Although it wasn't quite up to the standard of the rest of series 3, it's the best season finale so far.

So, yeah, I'm back at uni, and I don't have anything to do as classes haven't started yet. It's very odd.
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Ivriniel » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:58 pm

entmaiden_laurelin wrote:*hugs everyone*

Now he's claiming that Pandas are Marsupials. It's amazing to watch him work.

:rofl:

Enty, you're in Environmental Sci, yes? You should appreciate this:

I've got another guy who's trying to lecture me about why invasive species are not bad.

Here's a sample:

You clearly don't understand the idea of extreme migrations or the fact that the earth is ever changing and continents move around and mother earth can handle it and adapt to it... all things on this blue ball change and they change pretty radically without man... The Earth did not always look as it does now and in the future it WILL changed again. You have heard of Pangaea...?

So because the Earth changed slowly over millions and millions of years, and in that time populations shifted, and new species evolved, he's arguing that humans moving species half a planet away is a good thing. *sigh* The whole issue of timescale, is just going *whoosh* over his head.

Oh, and he's insisting that the introduction of the horse was beneficial to North American ecosystems, but when asked to provide an example, he just insulted me, saying that because I asked for an example I obviously didn't know what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

I interpret that as "I know what I know. Don't ask me to prove it, because I can't, but I know what I know." :D
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:22 pm

Ivriniel wrote:
So because the Earth changed slowly over millions and millions of years, and in that time populations shifted, and new species evolved, he's arguing that humans moving species half a planet away is a good thing. *sigh* The whole issue of timescale, is just going *whoosh* over his head.

Eh...what? :?
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive