Emporium26 - It's Not Like Corn Mazes Are Exclusive To WA!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Ivriniel » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:24 pm

elf-maiden wrote:
Ivriniel wrote:
So because the Earth changed slowly over millions and millions of years, and in that time populations shifted, and new species evolved, he's arguing that humans moving species half a planet away is a good thing. *sigh* The whole issue of timescale, is just going *whoosh* over his head.

Eh...what? :?

Sorry, bad turn of phrase. Is "halfway around the planet" clearer? :)
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Evenstar_Elfstone » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:18 am

Hey, guys! That romance language guy really cracks me up. :D

So, I've been absolutely swamped with work... Field hockey + IB Diploma = Hell. But i really kind of like it, y'know? So now I'm thinking of getting a job in the middle of October, once the field hockey season's over. It'd be ideal to work at Barnes & Noble, and I've been told that they'll be looking to hire around the time that I'd apply for the job. Of course, if I didn't make that, Starbucks would do nicely, as well... :P
Evenstar_Elfstone
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:16 am

*shakes head* Ivvy, where do you find these guys? ;)

Thankfully, there are no crackpots on TORC.

:P

Some days are grumpier than others...

For Calma :rose:
For Cock-Robin :rose:
For Toby :rose:

May we never forget them. :rose:

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby Ivriniel » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:05 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:*shakes head* Ivvy, where do you find these guys? ;)

:P

forums.Scifi.com ....

I think I may have identified the source of the problem, right there. :lol:
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:40 pm

Ivriniel wrote:
elf-maiden wrote:
Ivriniel wrote:
So because the Earth changed slowly over millions and millions of years, and in that time populations shifted, and new species evolved, he's arguing that humans moving species half a planet away is a good thing. *sigh* The whole issue of timescale, is just going *whoosh* over his head.

Not really. "Humans moving species"? It might make more sense if I knew what the discussion is about.

Speaking of controversies, I've decided to do my informative speech on Euthanasia. Which will hopefully be interesting, but also means that I have to do lots of research and I'm not supposed to think this much on a Saturday. :shock:
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby Ivriniel » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:53 pm

elf-maiden wrote:
Ivriniel wrote:
elf-maiden wrote:
Ivriniel wrote:

Not really. "Humans moving species"? It might make more sense if I knew what the discussion is about.

Humans introducing species to parts of the world where they don't occur naturally. Like rabbits in Australia, or Leafy Spurge across much of central North America. (Leafy Spurge is EeeeEEeeevil. It can have roots over 15 feet long. It's almost imposible to get rid of once you get it.)
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby Ugluk » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:06 pm

Ivriniel wrote:Humans introducing species to parts of the world where they don't occur naturally. Like rabbits in Australia, or Leafy Spurge across much of central North America. (Leafy Spurge is EeeeEEeeevil. It can have roots over 15 feet long. It's almost imposible to get rid of once you get it.)

Eh, species moving isn't all bad. Potatoes going across the sea was a good thing, as I'm sure we can all agree.

Anyway, in unrelated news, I now have a place to live. So all appears to be more or less well for the immediate future. Now if I can just get my family to quit hassling me....
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:28 am

Eh, species moving isn't all bad. Potatoes going across the sea was a good thing, as I'm sure we can all agree.

At one time, I would have agreed with you, but then I found out that people here used to eat parsnips instead of potatoes, and... I like parsnips better and wish we still did. :P

I wanted to go walking today, but it's pouring with rain :( Also my flatmate/ one-time best friend has her boyfriend to stay, and things are terribly awkward. Meh.
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby oldtoby » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:40 am

I've decided to do my informative speech on Euthanasia

Do share, I've always wondered what Chinese and Japanese children are like. :wink:

I had kinda an interesting friday and saturday. A storm went through friday and apparently a tornado touched down briefly just a couple of miles from work, while we were at work. A minor distraction from the fact that we were not paid like we were supposed to be. :x Then saturday I was at the gas station waiting to get gas, the guy in front finishes pumping and leaves. So I pull up and try to use the pump...nothing, well what the hecks wrong? I am just about to go inside and say something when an employee walks out and is like "its not working cause its showing $64" The jerk in front of me just drove off without paying!!! So I tried to desribe the guy and the car for thier police report, reckon it was mainly so the poor cashier lady wouldnt get in trouble tho, since I really couldnt tell them much. Stupid twit, that was one of the few places where it was ok to pump the gas and then pay cash, most other places you got to pre pay. The lady was like "well thats done with" the dude ruined it for everybody. The kicker is that gas aint even all that bad here, only round 2.70 a gallon.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Ivriniel » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:17 am

Ugluk wrote:
Ivriniel wrote:Humans introducing species to parts of the world where they don't occur naturally. Like rabbits in Australia, or Leafy Spurge across much of central North America. (Leafy Spurge is EeeeEEeeevil. It can have roots over 15 feet long. It's almost imposible to get rid of once you get it.)

Potatoes don't spread out of your garden and try to take over the world. ;) Most domesticated crops require humans to propagate them. The mutations that they carry (compared to their wild cousins) that make them more useful to humans tend to reduce their fitness in the wild. (See: Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond, for a fascinating discussion on the development of agriculture. :) )

Also what is of benefit to humans, is not necessarily a benefit to an ecosystem.

We were talking about some crackpot idea to establish a population of wild Tigers in Southern Africa. Tigers have never lived in Africa, they evolved in east Asia and spread as far west as the Caspian Sea (though that subspecies is now extinct).

Attempting to save the South China Tiger by putting it into direct competition with the African Lion (a species with its on problems) does not strike me as a terribly good idea.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:12 am

Wasn't the Emerald Ash Borer also (accidentally) brought over here to North America by humans? I read that it was worst in southeastern Michigan, which is of course where I live half the time. B^ All our poor ash trees are dying. :( We had to cut down three of them last winter because of it!

And the Japanese beetle that looks like a ladybug but bites. Those are eeeevil. I already hate ladybugs, and those just make it a hundred times worse. :P

Tim and I went to the Ohio Renaissance Festival yesterday. It was really fun, of course. :D I had my hair braided, something I've wanted to do since I was really young, but it always cost too much. This time, I said, forget it, I have wanted to do this forever, it's worth $25. :D It's all braided with ribbons and flowers and looks all pretty. :) (And since it's so tight it stayed fine overnight, so I am going to wear it to work tomorrow, assuming it's still okay then. :whistle: ) click here if you're interested :P

Tim got me a rose dipped in wax, which is really pretty :love: but the people lied to us -- it didn't last very long and already overnight started turning brown. :( They said it'd last a year!

Glad you have a place to live now, Ugluk. :shock: I've been worried about you! :hug::hug:

LAUREL! :hug::hihi::hug: So good to see you!
Alex :heart:
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Ivriniel » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:27 pm

luthienelflover wrote:Wasn't the Emerald Ash Borer also (accidentally) brought over here to North America by humans? I read that it was worst in southeastern Michigan, which is of course where I live half the time. B^ All our poor ash trees are dying. :( We had to cut down three of them last winter because of it!

Yup. They're getting into Ontario, too. You're not supposed to move wood from the area around Windsor and Sarnia anywhere else in an attempt to slow them down.

Then there's the Asian Longhorn Beetle that is attacking Maple Trees in the Toronto area.

There's also a Beech canker (a fungal disease that came from Europe) attacking beech trees around Trenton.

Add to that the Dutch Elm Blight (Thought to have originated to China, and travelled to Europe with Chinese workers brought in to dig trenches during the First World War, in the elm wood baskets they carried their belongings in.) the Chestnut Blight and the Gypsy Moth, and the forests of eastern North America are being improverished left and right by invasive species. :(
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:10 pm

Luthy: Lovely hair! :thumbsup:

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby Ugluk » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:25 pm

luthienelflover wrote:Tim and I went to the Ohio Renaissance Festival yesterday. It was really fun, of course. :D I had my hair braided, something I've wanted to do since I was really young, but it always cost too much. This time, I said, forget it, I have wanted to do this forever, it's worth $25. :D It's all braided with ribbons and flowers and looks all pretty. :) (And since it's so tight it stayed fine overnight, so I am going to wear it to work tomorrow, assuming it's still okay then. :whistle: ) click here if you're interested :P

Shineh!

Luthy wrote:Glad you have a place to live now, Ugluk. :shock: I've been worried about you! :hug::hug:

I've been worried about you too! Wondering if you've died, stuff like that. Have a busy schedule this year?

We got pulled over by the cops yesterday. For - get this - having a cracked windshield. Which they didn't even fine us for. Stupid Tonopah cops. Just looking for an excuse to pull out-of-towners over and write tickets they have to pay. :x

On the bright side, I head home tomorrow!
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby balrogthane » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:54 pm

Ugluk - just now read your title. :D So did you just read Ender's Game? How much of the series have you read? I just finished reading the first two books of the 'Shadow' sequence (Ender's Shadow & Shadow of the Hegemon... I also got Shadow of the Giant, but I didn't know about Shadow Puppets so I'll have to pick that up at the library tomorrow).

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby Ugluk » Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:10 pm

No, I read Ender's Game about six months ago and loved it. I was reminded of it by a cartoon from xkcd...let's see if I can find it...

Ah, here we go:

The enemy's gate is down

I haven't read any of the others in the series. I've heard a lot of conflicting reviews, and the one that I've heard a lot of is that Ender's Game is magnificent and everything else in the series sucks. Don't really know if that's true or not, so I might try some of the other books in the series, maybe Speaker For the Dead.

In unrelated news, the maid who's supposed to make your bed while you're gone each day didn't do it one of the days, so I'm going to exact my revenge. =:) There are two beds in my room. One I used to pile my suitcase and laptop case and other junk on, and the other I sleep in. I'm guessing, considering the rather low quality of this hotel, that since the other bed wasn't used at all, the maid won't bother to change the sheets on it before the next person arrives. So I'm going to short-sheet that bed, and put it back together so it looks just fine, and hopefully the next person who comes in will get a short-sheeted bed and complain to management and good times will ensue.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby balrogthane » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:54 am

Yeah... as Card's opinion of himself rose, the quality of his books dropped. Also he seemed to decide that making really really dense blocks of back-and-forth mental arguments for the reader to wade through equated to showing brilliance. Ender's Game was by far the best. :P

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby lady*of*rohan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:12 am

Awesome hair Luthy!

I just doing a drive by posting on my way to class, just to remind everyone that tomarrow is......

Talk like a Pirate Day!

huggles
:angel: Rohy
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:29 am

Hey Luthy! Love the hair! :love:

And Ugluk, the only reason I know about Ender's Game is because of XKCD. :P

*is on the way to her first class of semester*
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby noela » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:21 am

Ivy, idiot people, also introduced, foxes, cane toads, sparrows, pidgeons, prickly pear, to the Australian inviroment, with catastropic results for our natural flora and fauna. Ah yes and also the Indian mina bird, which is becoming a particular problem for our smaller birds.

One thing though, Queen Victoria, sent over some deer, as a gift and they have settled into our country side, without causing any problems and deer farming is now a big business here. Also deer hunting is very popular. I
see them sometimes when I drive about, especially in winter and there are some beautiful specimens out there.
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:34 am

Crown vetch...pretty, yet it takes over everything! :shock:

And asian lady bugs. I'd like to know who the idiot was who thought that was a good idea. :roll:

EDIT: Y'all know, Robert Jordan died? :( Never read one of his books, but I have friends who just love him.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby luthienelflover » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:28 am

Ugluk wrote:I've been worried about you too! Wondering if you've died, stuff like that. Have a busy schedule this year?

Yeah, very busy schedule -- here at Kenyon four classes is the norm and I'm taking five, and I also have two jobs, so busy busy. Also, Tim and I don't live in the same building anymore; mine is about fifty yards away and I live six flights up (and the elevator is the sketchiest thing in existence), and I'm lazy, so basically all of my stuff is living in Tim's room so I only have to go back to my room once or twice a day to grab stuff, so whenever he's in class and his room is locked I can't get at my computer. :P Also there's been some crazy stuff going on in my life lately so I have been kind of absent from the internet in general. But I've missed you guys. :hug:

Robert Jordan died?!?!?! :shock: I hated his books, but... that makes me really sad. :( I feel awful for him that he never got to finish his great work (even if I didn't like it much). :(
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:34 am

Take time to breathe, Luthy. :)

My pastor's wife was hoping he thought ahead enough to at least write down what he planned so that maybe someone could finish up where he left off.

Remind me to write down all my great ideas so someone else can make money off of them in the future...:P

IrisBrandybuck

Postby luthienelflover » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:07 am

I already have more time to breathe than Tim does -- he's taking five classes and writing his thesis and he has four (yes, four :shock: ) jobs.

:shock:

Anyway, it's not so much that it's too much for me as that it requires me to not spend as much time doing some other things, and unfortunately one of those things has to be the internets. :(
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:01 am

FOUR JOBS? :shock: :shock:

Does he even sleep? Does he remember your name when he sees you?

Eeep.

IrisBrandybuck

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:17 pm

Um. :shock:

Four jobs? One job while I'm in school is more than enough, thank you. :P

So. For those who didn't happen to see on facebook or myspace, I went to the OK Go show with a guy I met at the end of last year, and he asked me out after the concert. So we've been going out for a week and a half now, and he's awesome. :love:

Other than that, sorry I'm never on anymore. I lurk a lot, I just never have anything to say. :P But I love you guys anyway! :hug:

*ducks out again*
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:51 pm

What, having a boyfriend is nothing to say?

:D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby elf-maiden » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:07 pm

Ugh, so I have blood this afternoon. And it took FOREVER! :shock: I went to the student center and gave them my ID at around 4:30. I didn't get the whole questionaire finger-pricking thing until about 6:00, and at 7:10 I finally got the needle in, and was done by 7:20.

I've heard people say that that's the normal waiting time if you give blood, but a few months ago when I gave it took 30 to 45 minutes at the most. And worst of all I didn't have anything to do, so I just sat there. :doh: I also missed supper, so my choices now are pretzels or overly buttery popcorn. :| *sigh* Anyway, I just wanted to get that out. At least I got a free t-shirt and points for my society...and that whole saving a life thing they were talking about.

And they actually hit the vein instead of the valve this time, so it was better in that respect. :P

I would also like to say that Tim is insane working four jobs and going to college. I only work 8 hours a week and never feel like I have enough time. :bookworm:

Good to see you again though, Luthy. :love: You too, Elanor! And yay for the boyfriend! :D

That's sad about Robert Jordan. :(

So yeah...*waves*
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby luthienelflover » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:30 pm

Uh... I was actually wrong, he has five jobs.

But one of them ends after this month so I can be excused for forgetting, yes? :P

Of course then he has to apply for grad school. B^

Anyway, he's pretty good about making time for me, but I'm not sure he knows what sleep is anymore. :P

(see look see look I posted like three times in ONE DAY HOW CRAZY IS THAT)
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby Ivriniel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:48 pm

noela wrote:Ivy, idiot people, also introduced, foxes, cane toads, sparrows, pidgeons, prickly pear, to the Australian inviroment, with catastropic results for our natural flora and fauna. Ah yes and also the Indian mina bird, which is becoming a particular problem for our smaller birds.

Yeah, and the guy I'm arguing with was trying to argue that rabbits aren't really a problem in Australia, because eventally everything will adapt.

As for the brown snake in Guam and rabbits in Australia as being a problem, yes they are, but in the future they will not be there thus they are not really a problem.

I guess you can just tear down that rabbit-proof fence now. :roll:

EDIT: Y'all know, Robert Jordan died? :( Never read one of his books, but I have friends who just love him.[/color]

Yeah, it's been a lousy year for speculative fiction authors. Lloyd Alexander back in April, Madeleine L'Engle, and now Robert Jordan. :(

I haven't read Robert Jordan either, but I've certainly heard of him.

Edit: Now the guy is claiming that he took his labtop and showed my posts to a biologist, and that this biologist called me a hack. Last time he got into an argument he couldn't win, he also suddenly produced an expert whom he said agreed with him. Sensing a pattern here.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive