Emporium26 - It's Not Like Corn Mazes Are Exclusive To WA!

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Ugluk » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:15 pm

elf-maiden wrote:Ugh, so I have blood this afternoon.

Uh-huh.

Luthy wrote:my boyfriend is insane

Good grief. Is he trying to have a nervous breakdown, because that's certainly what he's aiming for. What all does he do?

We headed home today. Drove for about eleven hours. Unfortunately, the battery in Butch's van has problems (actually, it's the electrical hookup somewhere) so the battery slowly loses power until it dies and we have two batteries and we try to charge them whenever we can. Except it was even worse today and even though we tried everything it got to the point where we were going to have to drive with our lights on and that would suck the battery dry. So after a minor adventure we stopped at a motel and are staying the night here.

Re: Robert Jordan - I'm not a fan of his, tried reading one of his books and was bored out of my mind. But I do know that over the past couple months he basically dictated the entire plotline to his wife, and gave her detailed notes, so she can finish the last book for him.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby lady*of*rohan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:29 pm

Alright so I need some help.

My Boyfriend and I have will have been dating for a year at the beginning of next month. I'm having a hard time thinking of what to get him. Any ideas?

Please? Any suggestions are welcome!

huggles
:angel: Rohy
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby Ivriniel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:33 pm

Some information about him might be helpful. :)

Guys tend to like gadgets...

How about one of those small swiss army knives that attach to keychains?
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby noela » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:40 pm

Ivy, who is this dude, or should I call him dunce. Rabbits are such a problem, the the fence is still mantained and it is longer than the great wall of China. Here in Queensland, you are not allowed to have them as pets as they are pests. Myxamatyosis was introduced, (can't remember when) to help with the eradication, but they thrive here and actually love the drier climate. As for them disappearing, does he even know what their reproduction system is like. It is the only animal, that I don't get upset over, when I see then as road kill. I live in the country, they are every where.
well that rant is done now.
4 or 5 jobs, I can relate to that, way back in 73 when I was doing agency work, to get the money to travel, I some times worked 18 hours a day and had only 1 or 2 days off every 2 weeks. Did that for 4 months, earned a great deal of money, but I don't think I could do it now, gee I don't even have 1 job :rofl:

Never heard of this Jordan fellow, what did he write about??

Just thought of something, maybe this intellectual fellow is an asynapsal, aneuronal cretin, something I use to like calling idiots in my younger, more fiery days. :twisted:
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby Ugluk » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:49 pm

noela wrote:Never heard of this Jordan fellow, what did he write about??

He wrote fantasy. Long, bloated fantasy. Pages upon pages of description of a single ornamental rug. Whiny, hypocritical females, and a main character who is a walking Deus ex Machina. 11 books of this tripe, and he kept on introducing random side characters with little no no relevance to the main plot.
Ugluk
Ringbearer

Postby lady*of*rohan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:54 pm

Well...

He does like gadgets and stuff like that but he's an outdoorsy kinda a guy. He likes hunting (with bow and arrow) and he's a music geek. He acts like a typical he-man most of the time, but he's incredibly sweet!!! At times he's more romantic than I am. :P

I want to get him something sweet but not too sweet ya know. Something that says that I love him but not over the top.

Sigh! Haha....Sometimes I just have to laugh at myself.

:)

huggles
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:54 pm

Ivriniel wrote:How about one of those small swiss army knives that attach to keychains?

What's he going to do with that? Get him a machete.
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby lady*of*rohan » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:00 pm

Elfky- If I got him a machete he'd either kill himself accidentitly...or go hunting for cats. :roll: :rofl:

huggles
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby noela » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:44 am

Rohy, what about a tankard, with his name on it or just a special photo of you in a nice frame??

Thanks for the info on Jordon Ugluk. Don't think I would have liked his books.
noela
Shield Bearer

Postby Ivriniel » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:00 am

elf-maiden wrote:
Ivriniel wrote:How about one of those small swiss army knives that attach to keychains?

What's he going to do with that? Get him a machete.

My Dad has one. There's tonnes of little things he does with it. :)

Since he's outdoorsy a full size swiss army knife could be useful too, if he doesn't have one already.
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:36 am

Ivvy: I'm sensing the same pattern...:roll:

Noela: maybe you should try reading a Jordan book first and reserve judgement. Ugluk's oppinion is only one out of thousands and, I might point out, Jordan has name recognition, and fame. That doesn't make him, or anyone, a good writer, but I'd be willing to give him half a chance.

My pastor's wife and son love his books, and they're both very well read and well educated. I never started them because I didn't want to get involved in yet another series. :)

Elfy...you have blood? Really? congratulations! :D :hug:

Some days are grumpier than others...

For Calma :rose:
For Cock-Robin :rose:
For Toby :rose:

May we never forget them. :rose:

Cats were once worshiped in Egypt. They have never forgotten this.

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck
I can't brain today. I have the dumb.

Postby balrogthane » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:49 am

Some guy at work gave my dad the first of the Wheel of Time series, and he really, really liked it. :shock: Hopefully that's simply because the first book isn't yet teh suk that the rest of the series is supposed to be, and not because he'll end up liking the entire series... :shock:

Rohy, how much money are you willing to disburse for this guy? If your budget runs high enough, a Leatherman would be incredibly awesome (assuming he doesn't have one already). Or, if you know some of the specs on his bow, you could get him something for that; even just arrows might be nice, as they have an annoying habit of getting lost.

Maybe some red and pink arrows with hearts on the end instead of actual arrowheads. :)

Or not. ;)

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:13 am

Wait a minute, Madaline L'Engle died? :shock: When did THAT happen and how did I miss it? :(

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone. I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach." -- Joe Paterno
IrisBrandybuck

Postby lady*of*rohan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:50 am

balrogthane wrote:

Maybe some red and pink arrows with hearts on the end instead of actual arrowheads. :)

Or not. ;)

-(----

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah ok.....

:rofl:

Leatherman's a pocket knife right? He already has a swiss army knife.

huggles

Oh I forgot....

ARGH!
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:08 am

Ugluk wrote:
Luthy wrote:my boyfriend is insane

Good grief. Is he trying to have a nervous breakdown, because that's certainly what he's aiming for. What all does he do?

I'd certainly have a breakdown with his schedule, but he actually seems to thrive on it. He'll have no problem in grad school, methinks. :P

He works in the library, much like I do, except he labels books and keeps track of records instead of manning the desk. (And he does it more often than I do. B^) He also works as a writing tutor like you did for a while. Then he works at a fairly prestigious literary magazine, reading subs and accepting or rejecting them (I got to press the "fail" button and crush a writer's hopes and dreams once -- that was pretty exciting :D:P). He also copy edits for the local newspaper, which I do too. And then he writes questions for his state quiz bowl competition -- I didn't think it would be that much work when I first heard about it but having seen the process in action it's absolutely ridiculous. He can only manage about 5 questions in a good hour most of the time, and he has to write 250 or 300 or something before the end of September. He's been working really hard on those, though, so he's almost done with them finally.

Also he's writing his thesis, which is 100 or 150 pages, and always submitting stories to more magazines. He just had another one accepted and the editor liked it so much that he's going to pay him double and print it twice!

So yeah he's absolutely insane. :P

But it's kind of inspiring too. ;)

Rohy, happy almost anniversary! What about instead of getting him one big present getting him lots of little things that you know he'll really like and/or use?
Alex :heart:
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:17 am

Luthy, Tim either needs an award for productivity...or to cut back on the caffine. :D

Rohy...what about a gift card to his favorite store?

IrisBrandybuck

Postby luthienelflover » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:12 am

He doesn't really drink caffeine much. Well, he does occasionally, but not as much as I do. And he doesn't let me drink it as much either. Says it's bad for me. Pah. :P:P
Alex :heart:
luthienelflover
Herald of Manwe

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:23 am

Pfft.
Doesn't he know real college students live on caffine and chocolate?

and occasional trips to McDonalds or a Pizza shop?

:P

IrisBrandybuck

Postby lady*of*rohan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:34 am

Luthy- Tim seems insane! I couldn't do that!

huggles
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby balrogthane » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:12 pm

Rohy - Please! Don't insult the almighty Leatherman by calling it a pocket knife. :nono: ;)

This is the Wave. It's a slightly newer model than mine, and looks a bit better; the main draw point for the Wave, as opposed to other folding plier, is the external locking one-handed-use knife. You can pull out your Wave, flip out the blade, use it safely, and fold it back up without using your other hand OR having to open the pliers. If you DO need the pliers they're also quite easy to access. The diamond file is also a really cool thing. Personally, I LOVE my Wave; it's a great tool, and I've fixed many a loose screw on the spot with it. I'm sure your boyfriend would love it.

Of course, there is the price tag to consider... :whistle:

Perhaps ye could plunder it from a store, matey. Arrrrr.

-(----
balrogthane
Ringbearer

Postby ShadowSwallow » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm

*glomps Luthy, Keve, and Laurel* :hihi:

Tim's schedule's utterly insane, Luthy. :shock: :shock:

*waves generally to Ugluk, Iris, Ivvy, BT, and Rohy*

I really don't have anything to say, but it's been entirely too long since I've posted. :P
ShadowSwallow
Ranger of the North

Postby oldtoby » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:51 pm

Tim's schedule's utterly insane, Luthy.

Sounds to me like he doesn't even know what college is really for....

partying, getting drunk and skipping class :wink: :twisted:
oldtoby
Ringbearer

Postby Ivriniel » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:51 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:Wait a minute, Madaline L'Engle died? :shock: When did THAT happen and how did I miss it? :(

About a week ago, I think?
Ivriniel
Ranger of the North

Postby elf-maiden » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:06 pm

oldtoby wrote:partying, getting drunk and skipping class :wink: :twisted:

Wow, I guess I'm doing it completely wrong then. :roll:

And if Rohy's boyfriend is a hunter, I still don't see what use he could get out of a little keychain pocket knife, unless he often feels the urge to file or clean out his nails :) He already has a swiss army knife, so while a leatherman is handy, a machete is clearly the best choice. :thppt:

*is off to work*
elf-maiden
Ringbearer

Postby lady*of*rohan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:09 pm

Alright I know what a Leatherman is...

My dad has one. I forgot.

huggles
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby entmaiden_laurelin » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:17 am

I didn't know there were still people in the world who hunted with bow and arrow. *is impressed*

Ivvy wrote:Yeah, it's been a lousy year for speculative fiction authors. Lloyd Alexander back in April, Madeleine L'Engle, and now Robert Jordan.

*cough*Vonnegut*cough*

:hug: s for Luthy and SS...

Pfft.
Doesn't he know real college students live on caffine and chocolate?

and occasional trips to McDonalds or a Pizza shop?

Trips? We get delivery!
entmaiden_laurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby lady*of*rohan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:49 am

Yup there are still people who hunt with bow an arrow. His brother does too.

huggles
lady*of*rohan
Ranger of the North

Postby IrisBrandybuck » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:00 am

Oh, wait, Lloyd Alexander too? *cries* I love his books! *cries more*

Sigh. I looked up Madaline L'Engle yesterday and felt sad, but she'd lived long and full life and is enjoying her reward.

Vonnugut to, yes, but never read his work. sorry.

*looks at Leatherman pic*
*wants--for no particular reason*

Bowhunting is still very popular in Pennsylvania, we have a special season for it. Of course, most use special high-tech compound bows etc. What I want is someone to repair my old, wooden, longbow. :D

IrisBrandybuck

Postby ElanorTheHobbit » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:30 pm

IrisBrandybuck wrote:What, having a boyfriend is nothing to say?

:D

Note that I de-lurked to tell you about that. Obviously, it was a lot more worth saying than anything else. :P

And I remember hearing that L'Engle died... I always loved her Wrinkle in Time series.

I believe I'm also missing out on the "college experience," Toby. Darn. :roll:
ElanorTheHobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby oldtoby » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:56 pm

I believe I'm also missing out on the "college experience," Toby. Darn

Thats ok, :wink: I did too the whole time I was there.
oldtoby
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive