Thread of today IV

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby Silwen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:29 am

That reminds me: I have a book voucher that came with my ticket to see Stephen Fry. I shall probably go and get some books later today. :D The shop has some signed books too so I hope I can get some of those.

Today should be a good day despite the bad weather. I get to wear my mac again, which is also good.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:34 am

Awesome. :D Waterstones were also giving away a signed copy of a debut author's work. Not sure if I am one of the lucky ones. Have you joined Waterstones on Facebook? You can enter competitions to win free books. :D

Today I am going to eat the rest of my homemade banana bread and butter pudding. I love how it turned out, though the bananas turned colour very quickly from yellow to brown when left to cool. Do you know how I can prevent this?
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:59 am

Thanks for the info! I just liked it on FB. :D

Today I did go to the bookshop and found my favourite poetry collection as a first edition hardback. Sadly, it wasn't signed and I didn't find any other signed books to my liking. Still, I am very happy with this collection and a novel by Yoko Ogawa that sounds interesting. I almost bought another hardback book I have been keen on for a while, but it is available somewhere online as a signed edition, so I will get that sometime instead.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:20 am

Yay for books!

Today I am having my friends up tonight. :D I'm really looking forward to tonight - I have not seen one friend since last month and not seen my other friend since April. :shock:
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:39 am

Have fun! Is your grandma still in the house?

Today I am sort of making holiday plans. We thought we wouldn't get to go on a holiday this summer, but something came up and we will be going to the Isle of Wight for a long weekend or so. :D Not sure when, but we are hoping we can go sometime in September. I have never been on that island, but it looks great. We are now trying to decide which area to go to and have narrowed it down to two.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:55 am

That will be nice. :D Never been there before. How long are you planning on going for?

No, she decided to go back to her house last Thursday and was away in Dunoon at the weekend whilst her bathroom is getting fixed. She is back today and am keeping my fingers crossed that she can still stay at her own home.

Today I found glowsticks in my bag that I got at a random house party I went to on Saturday night. I also came home with a tag on my wrist that said "Bulletproof Monk." :roll:
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:22 am

I want glowsticks! :D

Today I applied for another job even though I haven't yet started my new job! I just want something permanent, preferably in education. We'll see what happens. It is just annoying how long a single application takes to finish!

When we go to the Isle of Wight, it will probably be for a long weekend. Perhaps we can make it a full week, but I don't think so. I don't have that many holidays that I can take from work and I have to keep in mind that I may need to take some days off when I have my operation.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:18 am

Have you had any more word back on your op? Will it be next year before you get it now?

Unfortunately my glowstick has ran out of glowy fun-ness. :(

It will be nice to get away for some r+r, no matter how long it is. :D

Today we were going to have a foam party tonight before I remembered that I didn't have a paddling pool. So, I bought blowing bubbles instead. I'm sure my friends will like them. :P
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:19 pm

Bubbles are always fun. I still have three little bottles I got at weddings last year.

No word about the op yet, so I assume it is still going to be November.

Today I finally found out that I have a bladder infection. :roll: So that's what's been going on. I thought it was all sorts of other things and got treated for those instead, but now I have antibiotics and hope that will solve the problem at last.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:28 am

The party never went quite to plan. Two more people had to bail out, so it was just me and my friend and when we've been drinking, we're bad influences on one another. Hence my crazy FB status. :P

When I read it last night, I thought you said three litre bottles. :shock: We were quite impressed. :lol:

Ouch, that bladder infection sounds nasty. :( When I was a lot younger I had a really sore back for ages and it was causing me a lot of grief and it turned out that it was quite a serious kidney infection that was so simple but had gone unnoticed for so long. I never realised how bad it was until my doctor told me, maybe last year.

Today, I realised that when I go to university, I will probably need to get a job straight away as I stupidly never realised that the money I get will be paid in every three months, instead of every month like I got when I was in college. So I would have just over £100 a month to live on. :shock:
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:01 pm

Kidney infections are really sneaky like that, aren't they? I only had one once and I also didn't realise what it was because I thought it was just a backache. Luckily, my infection is already improving and I am no longer in pain - yay! :D Just in time for work tomorrow. :P

I also only realised recently that I didn't consider I would not be paid till the end of next month and will have to hold on to all my savings in order to have enough money for the bus to work. Woops.

Today I am a bit sad that I have to go back to a job I dislike. :(
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:51 am

Hope you got on all right at work, Silwen. :hug: There are a lot of people who dislike their job - including myself - but it does provide a steady income.

Today, my parents are coming back from their ten-day holiday. I have a lot of tidying up to do. I also received a final settlement figure from my lawyer about the head injury that I received at work last year. She should be calling back later to discuss it.
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:14 pm

Yeah, I do get on all right at the job, though I really dislike it. I hate it most for the fact that I can't get on from there, and certainly not fast. That annoys me very much because I am happy in jobs that allow me to move up eventually, otherwise there is no point in it for me. :(

Today I got to try on all the new boots at work and was really tired and sweaty afterwards because there are so many! I also found a boot that I love, but one pair I already have is exactly the same apart from the detailing, so I am not sure I will buy it. Apart from that pair, there isn't anything I would get.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:25 am

Like if there is no chance of promotion? At least this time it is just a temporary solution until you hear back from one of the other jobs that you applied for. Have you heard back at all?

Trying on shoes all day. :D That sounds sweet. :)

Today, my parents are back in full swing. I found it hard sleeping last night, I think it was due to the fact that there was more than one person in the house. I'm also waiting on a call from my uncle about me giving up driving lessons. He said he would call yesterday, but never did. He's slightly late like that. :P
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Yeah, I hope it is only temporary and that I will have something better soon. This can get very unbearable though it is probably not as bad as I am thinking right now.

Today I had only one call at work because there is hardly anything going on at weekends anyway. Also I was only on the phone for about the last 40 minutes. :P Managed to avoid it by doing training the rest of the day. :D
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:30 pm

Sounds like a very easy shift. :D

Today my uncle phoned me and was totally fine about my dropping driving lessons at the moment. He says before I move for uni, we'll meet up and grab some coffee or something. :) There is only one month and six days until I move. :shock: *Runs in circles.*
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:34 pm

That's more time than I thought there was for you before you go. Enjoy the time off! :D

No plans for this weekend, really. How about you? I want to go to my friend's coffee house, but other than that there is nothing much left to do. I was hoping I'd have the money for my last proofreading job, but it hasn't arrived yet. Sadly, that means no shopping.

Today I am listening to German radio over the web. :)
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:43 pm

I'm still working up until I move. :( But I only have twelve more shifts to go until I leave, including a week's holiday at the end of this month. Not that I'm keeping count or anything. :whistle:

Nothing really major for me either. I'm working 2-6 tomorrow, but don't have any money to do anything, so it will be a quiet one for me to sit and watch the X Factor. :roll:

I was sitting in a coffee house on Wednesday with my friends and there was a huge powercut in the suburb where I live and the neighbouring one as well. :shock: Power was off for a good forty-five minutes! The shop had to shut because absolutely nothing worked, but the staff lit candles and let us wait it out.

Today, I won a competition on Facebook run by my local nightclub. On Sunday 29th, there is a Robbie Williams tribute being held there - and I won four free tickets. :) I seem to be extraordinarily lucky these days. :shock:
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:52 pm

You do! *hopes it rubs off on me*

I am still hoping I will win a short story competition, even if it is only the one in the local paper. Will be a while till I find out. I think they announce the winner only in October sometime.

Today I had a microwavable lunch at work that had the consistency of jam. :?
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:57 pm

*Sends you luck* :D

Hey, best of luck with the short story. :D Will keep my fingers crossed. Is there a nice wee prize involved? :) Did you used to write fanfiction on this site? Or am I confusing you with someone else? :?

Could you perhaps make up a packed lunch the night before?

Today I made homemade bread and butter pudding for the second time and managed to persuade my parents to try it who liked it. :) It was really tasty.
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:13 pm

I always have my own lunch with me, but if I only have a boring sandwich I tend to sometimes get something at work. I would prefer to cook more the night before so that leftovers can be taken to work. That doesn't happen a lot at the moment though. :(

The prize for the paper's competition is £250 because it is their 250th anniversary. I don't think I will win because I expect the winner will be someone who wrote about a historical local event. I wrote scifi instead and it is very funny. :D Maybe I will at least get printed.

I wrote RP here before, but no other fanfic. That was at the very beginning when I first joined.

Today I wore my boots for the first time since winter and I am glad I did because it was a bit chilly after all.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:23 pm

There is a really nice sandwich that is sold at my work: it's called a New York Deli. It is pastrami beef, tomato, gherkins, lettuce and mustard mayo on brown bread. So tasty! :D

Perhaps you could experiment with lunch? I found a website here and some of their lunch ideas sounded really different. Like having a stirfry in a thermos flask. :shock: Their recipes seemed quick and easy to make too.

Maybe there would be good recipes on there for dinner too. :)

That is a very good prize. :D Hopefully they will realise that funny stories are far better than local history. ;)

Today I have also been noticing changes in the season. My bed was freezing the other night for the first time in months and I have been waking up during the night to get a drink because my mouth is drier than the desert.
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:28 pm

It's not that I have no ideas for lunch - on the contrary! - , I just don't have the energy to cook much right now. I hope it will get better once I get into a routine again. I should also freeze things in advance, perhaps. Next week, though, I will have to take some soups with me to work to store there for emergencies. That worked well last time. Still, I would like to see that website if you have the link. :) I like looking through recipes.

I would really like to buy a large thermos just for food. Don't really want to use my tea thermos for that. :D I saw one in the closed market here, so I should get it sometime.

Today I have already found several songs on this web radio that I didn't know existed.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Oh, whoops, I forgot to post the link! :lol:

http://recipes.kaboose.com/lunch-recipes.html

Freezing food works really well, as well. Perfect if you don't have the energy to cook or just want something quick and easy. It would probably defrost in the morning and be ready for lunch. Just make sure it doesn't spoil your bag with water. :)

I love looking through recipes. I have a heap of them bookmarked on my web browser. Can't wait to try some out.

Today it has been just over five weeks since I had the steroid injection in my foot. The pain is still there, but hopefully I should hear back from the podiatrist soon as I shall need to have the operation after all.
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:39 pm

Oo yay! Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it now. I shall look through it now.

Today I got a letter from the NHS and I was all excited (and a bit nervous), thinking they had a date for my op. Well, no, just a regular form letter I need to fill in because I registered with a new GP and happen to be foreign. :roll:
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:52 pm

I hate all this foreign nonsense. To become "British," I think you need to pass a citizenship test and practically denounce your previous nationality. Even to vote. You've been here over a year now, eh? You'll have permanent residency, and IMO, that's good enough not to be classed as foreign anymore. But the government don't see it that way.

I hate politics. :P

Today I am still quite happy because I got the settlement for my head injury sorted. :D I will get the cheque in four weeks or less, but I can get all my bits and bobs (bed linen, kitchen equipment, my TV license, etc) for when I move down without having to worry too much. :) I was having kittens wondering how on earth I could afford everything. University is so expensive, but it means that I will have more or less everything I need when I move out completely some day.
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:01 pm

That's really good and excellent timing! :D Congratulations, oh rich one!

I would like to have dual citizenship (at first I wrote membership :lol: ) someday. I will have to have lived here for quite a few years first, though, or have been married to a British citizen for some years. We'll see how that goes. I heard a lot about that test and how you learn everything for it from a book that isn't altogether up-to-date. Lovely.

Today I am listening to some of those old songs on my MP3 player.
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Thank you. :D The offer was just a little over the lowest expectation for someone with my type of injury (no scarring or lasting damage but not my fault nonetheless) and my lawyer thought that I could have gotten a little more compensation, but it might have taken another month, maybe longer, and I just wanted everything over and done with before moving. I get free legal aid through my work's union and I would have had to have kept paying the monthly membership (which might have increased as I am paying the part-time fee) or I would have gotten nothing.

But it really has worked out so well. :D I was reading stories where it took up to four years for claimants to get compensation. :shock: My accident was just over a year ago.

Today I am laughing at an advert where this couple got a new house and at the house-warming, the females were excited over the kitchen and the guys were ecstatic over a walk in fridge filled with beer. :lol:
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby Silwen » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:19 pm

:rofl:

I could use a slightly bigger fridge... But I get excited about all kinds of kitchen stuff anyway.

Today I read up on what it takes to become a British citizen. ;)
Silwen
Ringbearer

Postby telcontarian » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:28 pm

I still get excited when I use the potato masher. :lol:

So, what else is there to do to become a citizen?

Today, a film is on TV where some guy was getting tortured by having big needles stuck through his skin like piercings and then right into a contracted muscle. *Twitch*
telcontarian
Mariner

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive