The food thread

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby rwhen » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:06 am

It sounds like it was very tasty and delish. I will give that a go on next left over chicken day. I keep most of what you list on hand anyway. Well except for the barley.

Last night I had left overs from a Sunday supper that my brother cooked and he made me a plate to take home. Stuffed pork tenderloin and a bunch of sides. Very good.

Tonight, I am making sausage and peppers. I will probably put it over pasta, as usual. And some garlic bread.

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:27 pm

Beef & rice skillet supper and apple crisp. Yep, hubby's home! ;)

Will the purple basil keep its color once cooked, or is that only for salads etc.? I've had purple sweet peppers before, and they're really purple, but once you cook them they get sorta nondescript, not like the red or yellow ones.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:13 am

I don't know Morwenna, I haven't used it yet, but I will tell you once I do. The dish I made last night, the sausage and peppers would have been ideal for trying it, but the plant is residing at my brothers right now.

*makes note to self, bring home the purple basil*

Skillet supper, always a good classic choice. Glad the hubby is home now and back where he belongs. :D

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:22 am

Hi all foodies :hihi:

Confusticate and bebother the killer combination of Big Brother and my brand-new Sims 3 game :wink:

A foodie question relating to Sims 3...what in the name of goodness is Fruit Parfait? It's a breakfast option in S3. Never heard of it.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:31 am

Hello m'dear.

A fruit parfait, is like a very small version of a trifle. A pudding and fruit layered offering that also has some layer of cookie or oat mixture. Served in a small glass container.

I am off gathering TONS of needed info for work. I will try to get back on. Great to see you however, stranger. ;)

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:37 am

You too m'lady
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:44 am

By the by, see fruit parfait here.

:D Okay, NOW I really am off for a bit.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby RoseMorninStar » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:51 am

Yup, yup, rwhennie is correct. It is usually a layering of yogurt, fruit and granola. They sell them at McDonalds here (among other places) although the ones at McDonalds are soooo sweet.. I cannot eat them.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Morwenna » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:58 pm

rwhen wrote: Glad the hubby is home now and back where he belongs. :D

Yeah, barefoot and... oops, did I say that out loud? :twisted: He's always claiming that he's the wife who wants companionship when I, the husband, get home and want time out!! :rofl:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Frelga » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Well, dinner was an adventure today. It was supposed to be roasted chicken. So I made the herbal rub, with my nice homegrown thyme and basil, and set to preheat the oven. Except that the %(!@%## Start button wouldn't work. The off button broke some time ago (thank you, KitchenAid, the stove is not 3 yeas old :roll: ), so I panicked that I was now ovenless. :Q

After some random button pushing I manage to start the oven preheating. Went to get the chicken... No chicken in the fridge. Turned out that Lufu, who was helping me unpack groceries, mistakenly stuck the chicken into the freezer, so it was frozen rock-solid. :bang:

Did I mention my ILs were over for dinner?

Luckily, I had some leftover turkey breast. Added some veggies, dumped chicken rub spices into leftover coconut meat, added more spices, bulked it all up with tofu and voila! Curry.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby rwhen » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:31 am

Morwenna. :lmbo: :D Well, if it works for you two, then w00t!! Whatever gets ya through the night is all good by me. :D What did "the little man" have waiting for you when you got home?

Frelga lady, good save. and :angry: on kitchen schtuff that won't work when you need it to.

I went to my local farmers market and for the first time in YEARS of going there I realized that they grow herbs in the front garden area. For ONE dollar, you can get a fist full of anything they have. I got basil, cilantro, thyme and parsley (enough to last me weeks) for FOUR DOLLARS. :shock: Also many more fresh veg is in season now and I had a party at the market yesterday afternoon. :D

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:21 am

Morwenna that sounded so funny hon!! :lmbo: The little man...... :roflmbo: Very good!!!

Frelga what a miraculous save my dear!!! I am totally in awe that you were able to do so much and pull it off so well. Not that I don't think you could but I would have been so screwed. You definitely got class lady!!! My hat is off to you!!

Hey Asylhyn!!! I have missed seeing you posting hon!! :hug: :happydance:

Tonight is our pizza night and Ryan wants us to each get our own pizza cause he wants BBQ Chicken and I don't so I might get a small Cowboy. :D
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:29 am

Hi there Lady Vana. Nice to see you too :hug:

Hope you enjoy your pizza. I'm cooking pork chops with apple sauce, potato rosti and red cabbage tonight. Got a German mood on :wink:
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:31 am

Hey m'darlin'. Enjoy your chops and cabbage. Sounds amazing to me. :D Great to see you again here today. :hug:

Vanadarlin'!!!! Enjoy the pizza with your hubby.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:33 am

Hey Rwhen how about we drop in and join Asylhyn for dinner. Yes it does sound amazing!!! I am up for the trip how about you???

Hello my Lord Asylhyn!!! So very good to see you as well hon!!! :hug:
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:46 am

You are both welcome ladies. I shall restrain Patsy from preparing Slug Surprise :wink:

Good day m'lady. What is on the menu for you today?
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:00 am

Don't know for sure.....but something that has a ton of fresh herbage for sure. I have a whole chicken in the fridge, if it is defrosted enough, then a roasted chicken with the fixin's.

Then again, if Vanadarlin' and I hop on an airplane, we shall be THERE for supper. :P

Okay folks, I am off for a bit...will check back. We have the whole office torn apart doing a project and I can't leave it like this. My OCD won't allow it. YIKES. ;)

:hug: to you both.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:17 am

Frelga, saves like yours are the reason I'll never do good in the kitchen. I'm fine cooking with recipies and stuff I already know, but to look in the fridge and invent something based on what you have is raw talent. :thumbsup:

Vana, did you say you're going to have a small cowboy as your pizza topping? :|

Have fun making the place shiny, rwhen.
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:24 am

:roflmbo: Only if they let me!! ;) No it is called a Cowboy pizza with olives, pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes and loads of cheese. :D
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Frelga » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:51 am

LOL, Vana, you were having a humanitarian pizza? :P

Eru, I'm the queen of last-minute saves. :D It's planning ahead, and collecting all the stuff for the recipe, and having everything go off smoothly that is a rarity. Even my son by now knows how to read a recipe and go, hm, we don't have any celery, can we use green pepper instead? It's not talent, it's a combination of laziness, procrastination and experience. Oh, and the legacy of my penniless youth when I bought whatever was on sale and figured out how it fits together. :D

rwhen, fresh herbs are the bestest, aren't they? :love:

What's potato roti, Ays?
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Ayslhyn » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:04 am

Potato rosti
You'll read some tremendously complicated recipes for rosti, involving time-consuming methods like par-boiling and cooling before you grate, quick spells in the freezer, wrapping the grated potato in a tea towel and whirling it around your head in the garden, and so on. There's none of that in this recipe, which is extremely easy.

There's some dispute surrounding the boiling issue - it's true that a par-boiled potato will make your rösti absorb sauces a little better. I've tried both methods and have found the difference to be minute. The raw potato method is faster and results in a deliciously crisp surface, giving to the pressure of your teeth like a thin layer of ice. The potato inside is soft and yielding - delicious.

Ashkenazi Jewish latkes are a similar kind of potato cake (without bacon, for obvious reasons). Recipes for latkes and other Hannukah foods abound in Evelyn Rose's books - I've just managed to find a second-hand copy of the Entertaining Cookbook at an online bookstore for a quarter of the shudder-inducing price I'd been quoted elsewhere, so look forward to some recipes from it when it finally makes its tortured way through the Royal Mail.

I used Kestrel potatoes for these rösti. Kestrel are easy to grow in the garden, and have an excellent flavour. Be careful that whichever variety of potato you choose is a waxy-fleshed one. Don't be alarmed by the amount of starchy liquid that comes out of your squeezed potato - you will get more than a mugful from 500g.

To serve four as an accompaniment, you'll need:

500g Kestrel potatoes, peeled
4 rashers of bacon, chopped finely
1 small onion
3 tablespoons goose or duck fat (you can use any cooking fat with a good flavour, but goose or duck fat does create a particularly crisp surface. Bacon fat would be excellent in this, as would schmaltz.)
Salt and pepper

Grate the potatoes and onion finely. You can do this by hand, or in a food processor with a grating blade. Squeeze the grated potato and onion out, handful by handful, into a bowl and discard the juices. Mix in a large bowl with the bacon, and season.

Melt half the goose fat in a large, non-stick frying pan over a high flame, and add the grated mixture when the fat is sizzling hot. Pack the potatoes down into the pan firmly to create a dense cake, and turn the hob down to a medium heat for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes, you'll notice a change in the shreds of potato on the surface, which will now be transluscent and glossy. Take a large dinner plate and, using oven gloves, place it upside down on top of the frying pan. Turn the pan and plate arrangement upside down, so the rösti is neatly turned out onto the plate. Melt the rest of the fat in the pan, slide the rösti back in (the cooked side will be facing you) and leave for another 20 minutes.

This was delicious with a roast chicken, soaking up the buttery juices beautifully. Experiment with your rösti - try adding a grated apple, cheese, or fresh herbs. If there are only two of you, try making this larger amount and eat the remainder cold for lunch the next day.

And you really don't need the goose grease. Regular cooking oil is fine.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:44 pm

Ayslhyn... I see that your recipe calls for '4 rashers of bacon'.. having been in the U.K. (OH! I LOVE saying that! :D ) is that what we Americans would call Canadian Bacon ... or thin-sliced ham?? I would think it would be good either way.. but the flavor/texture is quite different.

Ayslhyn.. I have a question for you. While I was in the U.K. I tried some 'bangers'- English breakfast sausage. I found the texture very odd (smooth & kind of slimy) and the flavor very bland.. That is very different from American breakfast sausage .. do you think that is typical or perhaps I had some 'bad bangers'.. (oh.. that doesn't sound very good, does it?)

Now that I have a working oven & stove.. I need to pull out a few of those recipes that some of you have offered over the past few months.. like Colcanon.. that sounds really good.

Frelga.. good save.. I've never made a curry.

Lady rwhen... I love fresh herbs. Having a big yard as I do I grow many of my own herbs. I have tons of parsley that comes up every year.. and lemon balm, chives, oregano, thyme (2 kinds) chocolate mint, savory and I just picked up some rosemary, basil & cilantro to plant. Our farmers market is only on Saturday mornings from 7-11 and it's always so packed... and it just started last week and runs through October. I'll have to remember to go down there this week.

We had pizza tonight.. and tomorrow.. Italian Sausage sandwiches (inspired by rwhen's sausage & peppers).
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:49 am

Rose friend. Pizza!! :yippie: It IS great to have herbage and growing it yourself is even better. But ONE DOLLAR a bunch? That is incredible. I have bought those packets of basil at the store for 4-6 bucks and it lasts a few days before going grey.

My farmers market is open seven days a week here. It is an actual market, meaning building and behind it is a huge farm with all sorts of stuff growing. Local farmers bring their goods to this place and they buy it from them, then put it in their bins.

The farmers market in Santa Barbara, the first I went to, was pick up trucks backed in a loose circle and you bought stuff right from the farmer with dirt all over it and such. I LOVED THAT.

Enjoy the weekend everyone. I made a huge meat loaf and smashed taters last night with a tomato and zuke side.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:50 am

Hi to all foodies. To answer your question Rose...a lot of cheap British sausages suck like an Electrolux. They are a bland, pink, tasteless national disgrace and ought to attract the attention of the Food Police.

Good bangers can be bought at decent butchers shops and also at farmers markets. A few of the better supermarkets do good own-brand sossies too. Waitrose and Marks & Spencer being probably the best.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:35 am

Hello m'lord. How are you? I am exhausted from a week where Hades would look good to me right now. I want to rest my head in a fluffy pillow and let it sink right through to the ground and not wake up for a week. Unfortunately, we know THAT isn't going to happen.

Do you have a Sunday planned with the posse?

For me it will be as little effort as possible for supper tonight, so meatloaf sammies and soup.

:hug:

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Ayslhyn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Greetings to my dear Lady. Sadly I have two weekend Late shifts so hanging with the posse will not be an option.

Sorry you had a bad week my dear. Mrs A is cooking tonight and is serving Patatas Bravas with garlic bread, salad and fresh strawberries with vanilla ice-cream for afters.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:10 pm

Ah, sorry you have a sux schedule for the weekend. I plan to sleep myself, so that works, though I will miss you. WITHOUT FAIL!!! Next weekend.

Enjoy the Mrs. A supper of patatas bravas

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:31 pm

Real farmer's markets are so delicious!

My grandparents have their own plot of land and they grow their own vegetables and chickens. It was amazing when I visited last summer because almost everything I ate was grown right there or bought from a neighbour in the village.
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby Ayslhyn » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:49 pm

I agree Eru. We went to a market out in Kent recently/ The produce was amazing. Really fresh eggs, good pork and great chicken.
Ayslhyn
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:23 pm

rwhen... one dollar for a bunch of fresh herbs is amazing! And better than stuff that's been sitting who-knows-how-long in the grocery store.

There is a farm about a 1/2 mile down the road that sells chickens & eggs.. corn on the cob in season... and they sell beef by the half or whole if you order it at the beginning of the season... and an apple orchard. There is also a bee-keeper that sells honey about 2 miles away (by road). Our Farmers market is of the second kind you described rwhen.. where the farmers bring their trucks in with whatever they grow to sell.

Meatloaf with mashies is very good. :D

Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods did a show on the U.K. that I watched yesterday. He started in Edinburgh and worked his way down to.. Swansea? the Cotswolds and then London. The did 'The Haggis' of course.. which, I now wish I'd tried just a bit more of.. what I had was not as bad as I had feared. He went pheasant hunting.. ate a bunch of seafood.. eels which I guess are popular in the West of England/Wales, pigeon, etc.. etc.. I also think he had some *good* bangers... unlike the ones we had! I did not try the black pudding (blood sausage) either.. and I kind of wish I'd at least have tried it.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive