The food thread

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby portia » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:51 am

I have had bangers at Scottish festivals. They are a bit bland, but I like them, especially with grilled onions.

I love that UK "Bizarre Foods" episode. The last time I was in the UK, we went to the very same market in Swansea, and had Cockles and Laver Bread from the very same stall. I loved them both! Mr. Portia makes a widely praised Haggis.

Our growng season is short and we do not have the balancing effect of long summer days that the Northern US and Canukistan have, but we try. We have rosemary and basil, and edible flowers and zucchini and fruit trees. Our farmers' market has things from the desert that surrounds us, so we have early fruits and veggies. When we lived in LA, we also had true Bay Laurel and sage, figs and citrus, but they will not grow here (well, the sage tries, but doesn't do well).

This week has been very hurried, and this weekend will be as bad. I am personning a Snow Cone machine at a fund raising event at the zoo where I volunteer, so if I get something from the hot dog vendor, I will be lucky.

Gotta go, and pick up cube ice for the machine.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:17 am

Today, for father's day, my dad made his famous salmon on cedar planks on the BBQ for the whole family. It was the last of the salmon he'd caught, so I guess the season better start soon so he can restock the fridge. :D
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:25 am

Hello all you foodies. On Friday I attempted a version of Zuppa Toscana and it came out okay, but not as rich and tasty as the original stuff from OG. On Saturday I had leftovers, meatloaf sammie and some veg. Yesterday the brother made a beer bottom chicken on the barbie with all the sides. A yummy weekend for the most part.

Eru, your fathers recipe sounds really good.

I haven't had bangers nor haggis. I would try the bangers, but I am afraid I wouldn't do the haggis. :shock: Well maybe a squee little bit, just to say I did. :D

Don't know what I will have tonight yet. It is barely after 7am. ;)

:hihi: Eat up!!

Love is as big or as little as a hug!!

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

I will always treasure and remember your appreciation. Thank you. -2007 WCA's
Overwhelmed by your support and appreciation. Thank you. - 2008 WCA's

The Expected Party!! is now on the road to Gondor to celebrate. Join us.

And getting into trouble with Rally The Eldar.

Time out of Mind, forever bound to my Knight Ayslhyn

Vanadarlin', my SSOTH - 143 forever :hug:
rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:52 am

I go away for a weekend and look at this place. :roll:

Ayslhyn, I'll have to show hubby your post on rosti!! That's what he makes, and I did ask him the spelling after the last time I posted about it, but he doesn't make them anywhere near that fancy. Yet. :D
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:08 pm

Hiya Morwenna. :D

I saw the show on Hamburger Paradises again last night. Still have the hankerin' to visit and go to Louie's and Ted's up north of you a bit. Actually Ted's looks AMAZING, the burgers they make there. I gotta stop watching those shows, that or win the lottery, so I can travel around and sample all this tasty stuff.

:D

Still haven't decided what to have for supper. I guess it will be a fridge raid and throw something together.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:54 pm

macaroni and cheese and bread

This being poor thing has to end
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:49 pm

Rwhen, thanks for reminding me--I still haven't been to Louie's!! :shock:

Tonight (and tomorrow's lunch, probably): pasta all'oglio with sausage and broccoli and spinach and onions and mushrooms. YUM!!! :D (We REALLY need a droolie!!!)
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:54 pm

portia wrote: Canukistan

:shock:

:lmbo:
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:50 pm

Once again, those roasted chickens from Safeway are a lifesaver.

Morwenna, now I really want pasta, I haven't had it in a while. :D
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:53 pm

I had a crown replaced today, so I prefer soft food tonight. I also bought myself ice cream, with the dentist as an excuse.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby rwhen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:03 am

portia. ouch. Hope it is feeling better today.

Eru. I will get the roasted chicken too sometimes. They are great for making stock too.

Morwenna, yummo on the pasta dish. Sounds delish.

Lewie, times will change. For two years after my brother got out of the military we lived on boxed mac and cheese. For $5 we could get a weeks supply, a gallon of milk and some bread. That was 1973 of course. But things do get better.

Last night, I had meatloaf sammie again. I want to eat it before it goes bad, not much to do with leftover meatloaf. Tonight I am having a pasta dish with chicken, spinach and a creamy mushroom and vermouth sauce.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:21 am

Portia, good luck with your tooth! I have several crowns but never had to have one replaced, knock wood!!
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:49 am

Last night I had....NOTHING. I had such a large brunch that I just wasn't hungry. I snacked on a few Cheetos and milk.

Now I am starving. Tonight I am having chicken, green salsa enchilladas. Yum.

How about you?

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Morwenna » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:22 am

Right now (lunch) I'm eating the last of the pasta dish. Last night was a picnic supper consisting of crackers, cheese, tomatoes, and part of the sandwich spreads that we made for the weekend away but didn't finish. Unless hubby's been busy today, we'll probably finish up those spreads tonight.
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:31 pm

rwhen wrote:Last night I had....NOTHING. I had such a large brunch that I just wasn't hungry. I snacked on a few Cheetos and milk.

Now I am starving. Tonight I am having chicken, green salsa enchilladas. Yum.

How about you?

hmmmmmmmm enchiladas,

Green salsa FTW :D
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby rwhen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:47 pm

I am really a nerd, I don't know FTW. For The....... ??

I should have written salsa verde.....but suffice it to say chicken enchiladas. And I am MORE than ready for them. 45 minutes and I am outta here.

:D Hello Lewie.

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:56 pm

Yesterdeay I actually got an hour lunch! :shock: That is unheard of!!! I was kidding with the boss and said "So you realized even prisoners get an hour lunch?" He laughed and said "NO but I need to cut hours and that is one way to gain 2 1/2 hours in paid time."

Well my sweetheart brought me shrimp fried rice for lunch and for dinner he made us spinach linguine with alfredo sauce and chicken. Not bad for a good day. It wasn't what I actually wanted but it worked. We are kind of strapped for money right now and trying to eat what we already have around.

Though tonight will be pizza!! :D
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby rwhen » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:26 pm

PIZZA night. YAY.

Well last night it turned out that I didn't have any tortillas, but I had restaurant style chips. So I got a glass baking dish and layered some chips on the bottom, then I shredded my roasted chicken over that and then doused it with salsa verde. Then I chopped some scallions over that and added some sliced jalapenos and smothered it with grated cheedar and motzerella. I cooked it at 400 for only 20 minutes till it was bubbling and then served it up with refried beans.

I now have a new dish called nacho cassarole. It was delish.

Enjoy the pizza, I am having left overs or stopping for something on the way home, maybe Arbys.

:hug:

vison! Alex!Rowanberry!

rwhen
Gettin' Older!!

Postby Vanaladiel » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:40 pm

Oh that sounds so good Rwhen!!! I might just have to try something like that sometime soon. :P
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:51 pm

FTW=For the win! :wink:

Dinner was chicken wings with Shake and bake, rice, and broccoli.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Morwenna » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:59 pm

Vana, yesterday's meals sound Fantastic!!

Rwhen, that nacho casserole sounds great! I think I'll show that one to hubby. He makes Mexican layered dip occasionally; this would be a nice variation.

Tonight was tabbouleh, prepackaged but added to. One of my favorite summer meals. Though lately the weather has been so cool I could cheerfully have eaten really warm food. In fact this afternoon the clouds actually broke (not to mention it stopped raining) and I was wondering what that big yellow thing up there was...
Morwenna
Ranger of the North

Postby portia » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:42 am

Last night was spagetti from scratch (well, the sauce, anyway) Crushed tomatos, chopped bell pepper, chopped onion. Spices. Wine. Over pasta with asparagus.

Today we go off to a Scottish Festival. I do not know what they will have available, but I will probably eat cheese, bread, etc.
portia
Ringbearer

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:56 am

Portia... then your tooth is better? :D

Rwhen.. if you get the chance.. I would at least try the haggis. It's really not that bad.. at least the stuff I had wasn't that bad. Now.. snails.. I will never try them again.

Nacho casserole sounds yummy.

Lewie.. heed the advice.. find your local Walmart, Safeway.. what have you.. find out when they discount their rotisserie chickens, fried chickens, etc.... they can only keep them for a few hours and if there are any left past that time, they are discounted. Here, if I hit it right.. I can get a couple for only $2.50 each. I buy several, if they have them.. and freeze them.. make all kinds of stuff with them. Also, sometimes.. if you get to know the fresh grocer/deli/meat department people you can often find out stuff that they have to quick sell and get some good deals.

Scottish Festival :love: *sigh*
Mr. MorninStar works with a guy who is from Scotland. Yesterday was his birthday and the guy brought everything for a 'proper' Scottish breakfast.. and made it on the spot in the trailer for 11 guys! With only an electric skillet! Fried eggs, fried tomatoes, fried bread, blood sausage, bacon, white beans in ketchup-type sauce (sort of like a baked bean)... Hubby said the guy used about a half a bottle of oil for it all! :shock:
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:53 pm

RoseMorninStar wrote:Portia... then your tooth is better? :D

Rwhen.. if you get the chance.. I would at least try the haggis. It's really not that bad.. at least the stuff I had wasn't that bad. Now.. snails.. I will never try them again.

Nacho casserole sounds yummy.

Lewie.. heed the advice.. find your local Walmart, Safeway.. what have you.. find out when they discount their rotisserie chickens, fried chickens, etc.... they can only keep them for a few hours and if there are any left past that time, they are discounted. Here, if I hit it right.. I can get a couple for only $2.50 each. I buy several, if they have them.. and freeze them.. make all kinds of stuff with them. Also, sometimes.. if you get to know the fresh grocer/deli/meat department people you can often find out stuff that they have to quick sell and get some good deals.

Scottish Festival :love: *sigh*
Mr. MorninStar works with a guy who is from Scotland. Yesterday was his birthday and the guy brought everything for a 'proper' Scottish breakfast.. and made it on the spot in the trailer for 11 guys! With only an electric skillet! Fried eggs, fried tomatoes, fried bread, blood sausage, bacon, white beans in ketchup-type sauce (sort of like a baked bean)... Hubby said the guy used about a half a bottle of oil for it all! :shock:

Whats Safeway? lol, I don't think I've seen one.

I'm going shopping with the 'rents tomorrow (they are finally re-modeling our horrifying 1 bathroom in our house) and are looking at tiles and such and we are swinging by the grocery store on the way home.
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Vanaladiel » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:33 pm

Safeway is a grocery store here in the states. I know that here in the PNW it is one of our most common stores. They have a deli area where you buy the chicken that she is speaking of. I love their oriental family dinner with General Tsao's chicken, Sweet and Sour Shrimp and fried rice with a chicken egg roll. YUM!!!!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby RoseMorninStar » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:55 pm

Lewie.. we don't have a Safeway.. we have Piggly Wiggly & Pick n Save grocery stores (and Walmart) but all stores who have rotisserie chicken/deli food have sell-by dates. It's worth checking out. My mom buys discount food/chickens all the time in Tucson.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Erufailon.Atanvarno » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:41 pm

Portia, when I had work done on my teeth, I remember making food, and then just blending everything and drinking through a straw. It was pretty gross, looking back on it.

I don't like Safeway temporarily. We went there last night because we had cheese bun cravings, and wanted to pick some up. They close at midnight, so we raced there to try and get it. We got there at 11:58, and the manager wouldn't let us in. You know they post security guards that lock the doors as you leave?

Does anybody else here like Humus? I found it about a year ago and I love the stuff on bread, it's so delicious. :D
Erufailon.Atanvarno
Ranger of the North

Postby RoseMorninStar » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:13 pm

I make my own humus. I like it with garlic, but the last batch I made was a bit too garlicky! It's fairly easy to make and freezes well. I like it on TLC's 7 grain crackers. YUMMY.
RoseMorninStar
Ringbearer

Postby Vanaladiel » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:00 pm

Eru thankfully our Safeway is 24 hour. But we tend to shop late at night at Haggens when is in our neighborhood and 24 hours also.
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Frelga » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Oh blast, I forgot to pack a snack for the baseball game where hubby is taking Lufu and his friend. Drat, what was I thinking!

Hummus, I fall in and out of love for it. Out right now, although Trader Joe's has a good one. It's the mushy consistency that I find unpleasant at times, even in a spread.
"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back... Can't say no forever right?"
―Steve Rogers, Captain America: The First Avenger
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive