MODS PLS LOCK - Class of '02 v.3

Find within old venerable threads locked for size reasons. Threads within may be from any category or forum outside of Adoptions and Fandom. This forum is Read-Only.

Postby SilverScribe » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:46 pm

Well, I only managed the first half of TTT . . . but it was fab . . . ;) Mmmm, that fish sounds wonderful eari, although I'd have to leave out a good amount of the fresh ginger; for some reason it upsets my stomach something awful. :roll: But I love the taste . . . *sigh* Glad it was a rousing success! :)

starlin, that'll do just fine. ;) Thanks! :D

I've decided that Garfield and Bob Geldof have had it right all these years . . . I hate Mondays!

Grrrrrrr . . . I SO want off this project!!

*steam*

:D:D:D
SilverScribe
Scribe, Wanderer, Warrior . . . Bard of Rhudaur and Herald of Manwe

Postby earendil81 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:40 am

SilverScribe wrote:Well, I only managed the first half of TTT . . . but it was fab . . . ;) Mmmm, that fish sounds wonderful eari, although I'd have to leave out a good amount of the fresh ginger; for some reason it upsets my stomach something awful. :roll: But I love the taste . . . *sigh* Glad it was a rousing success! :)

starlin, that'll do just fine. ;) Thanks! :D

I've decided that Garfield and Bob Geldof have had it right all these years . . . I hate Mondays!

Grrrrrrr . . . I SO want off this project!!

*steam*

I understand the upset stomach. What might have done the trick for you is that you actually leave the ginger pieces when serving the fish. It just gives the aroma/taste to the fish... But I have to cook taking into consideration that my beloved cannot eat turnips, broccoli or cooked onions which limits somewhat my possibilities. But he loved it so :D :D :D.

And yes I hate Mondays too :roll:... Yesterday was kinda weird too. I kept having waves of nausea and dizziness from the morning and through the day, but to the point when I felt faint. I'm just hoping it's not what it could be :roll:.
But then again, I hate my job so all days are like that somewhat :roll: :lol:. At least some people are real nice so it makes up for it.

And I have to go to the gym too, haven't been in a week not good. Bad eari :roll:
Never forgetting those who have passed into the West :rose:

Sharing a story with Rholarowyn: Once There Were Words

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party
Fan of Redemption: the Reckoning

Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good.

It's funny how some distance
Makes everything seem small
And the fears that once controlled me
Can't get to me at all
It's time to see what I can do
To test the limits and break through
No right, no wrong, no rules for me
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:03 am

earendil81 wrote: Yesterday was kinda weird too. I kept having waves of nausea and dizziness from the morning and through the day, but to the point when I felt faint. I'm just hoping it's not what it could be :roll:.

:shock: Well, there is a nasty flu bug goin' around over there on the NA continent, so I hear.

earendil81 wrote: But then again, I hate my job so all days are like that somewhat :roll: :lol:. At least some people are real nice so it makes up for it.

Praise be for the Good People in the world who make it all worth while! :)

earendil81 wrote:
And I have to go to the gym too, haven't been in a week not good. Bad eari :roll:

That is a word that strikes me strange... G Y M ? What's that? :P :P

I would like to join one - the Uni gym is tiny, dominated by weight lifters and loud 'thump-thump' music. I did see a membership special being advertised at a gym I went to about 9 years ago. I should check it out.

Not much to report today except to say it is really difficult translating boolean algebraic expressions of logic circuits into their graphical representations. :rolls eyes:

Went and had a yummy pizza with my classmates after practical today, though. It was fun. They're a good bunch.

:)
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:41 am

Bardhwyn wrote:Not much to report today except to say it is really difficult translating boolean algebraic expressions of logic circuits into their graphical representations. :rolls eyes:

Man, that takes me back!

I remember one boolean logic assignment when I kept transforming the expression and getting nowhere for pages. I took it to the instructor, who went over it, told me she couldn't see any mistakes, couldn't make anything of it, either, and gave me full marks.

Eari, hope your stomach fills better. Lots of fluids and rest, that's the ticket. :hug:
Impressive. Every word in that sentence was wrong.
Luke Skywalker, The Last Jedi
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:14 pm

Eari I sure hope its just the flu since that can get better right away. :hug: But you take care of yourself sweetie!!

Bardy we joined a gym back in 06' but then I had to have foot surgery and was unable to use the membership so we finally canceled them sometime in 07'. I just don't know that I personally would use a membership. I prefer walks in the fresh air to walking on a treadmill. Good luck though hon on finding a place that you feel lead to go to. :hug:

:hihi: To all the 02'ers and our honorary members too!! :hug:
Image Spring come quickly!!
~*Sister of the Twilight*~
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Inyë melmëlyë my love, for you are the melody to which I now dance!!

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"
The Moon Ring of the Twilight Star

Bard of the land of Eryn Lasgalen

Mithril Knight of Lore
Mithril Knight of Eryn Lasgalen

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

A tribute to Cynthia 11/14/2005 :rose:

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby earendil81 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks for the well wishes everyone... was still sick with nausea this morn' but at least today it passed. Well sort of :P

You know what I find. Having the most boring job in the world is kinda cool for my muse. Since my mind can wander off in between calls I keep writing :lol: :lol:. Now I just need a place to express this... But a character was born (actually several but only one that could be brought into this place to play) from mind wandering ;) ;).

Bardy wrote:Praise be for the Good People in the world who make it all worth while! :)

Yep... they make all the difference in the world even if they may not know it :D :D :D

That is a word that strikes me strange... G Y M ? What's that? :P :P

Got Your Muscles... Somewhere :P :D :D :roll: Ok that's lame but it was too tempting. Thing is I haven't yet found a place where I can play volley-ball and I don't have the money to indulge both singing and sport so I made my choice and I can go to the gym which is in the building. In many ways, singing is being more rewarding than sport these days because I am rediscovering my voice and having a whole lot of fun with it :D :D. But I do miss those times when I could swear my head off against myself :lol: :lol: and jump here and there without looking like a loonie (that I am obviously but people ain't supposed to know :P)

Not much to report today except to say it is really difficult translating boolean algebraic expressions of logic circuits into their graphical representations. :rolls eyes:

Anyone cares to translate... :lol: :lol: sounds like an awful illness to me ;) ;). Hope you have fun with it though ;)

Back to work for another hour and 3/4

Laesha is taking her first steps in the RP world with Eilathen and a bunch of great characters in The Expected Party

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:13 pm

Eari, since you asked I'd love to have a go translating and seeing as Frelga got full marks ( * Bardy grumbles in envy * :P ) she can pull me up if I misstep.

To be specific what I am doing is taking a logical expression of a computer circuit (the thing composed of transistors that resides on your CPU microchip that controls the storing and directing of the computer's binary information) and graphically representing it in a model.

A circuit is composed of logic gates and they can be represented by a graphical model (using an internationally recognized set of symbols) and what is called a 'truth table'.

What's a truth table? It is the documentation of 'the output of the gate for all possible inputs'.

The 7 permutations of logic gates are: AND, OR, NOT, XOR, NAND, NOR, and XNOR.

We're in the land of binary, don't forget (we'll leave physical voltage out of it for now) so a gate can take inputs of either zero or one, the majority of gates taking at least two inputs (except the NOT gate which takes one input and inverts it). A gate can take many inputs but the output is ruled by the truth table - which as stated above sets out the sequence of inputs and related outputs.

SO - lets take the AND gate. The output of an AND gate is TRUE or 1 if input A AND input B are TRUE or 1. If this condition isn't in place, the output has to be FALSE or 0.

The AND truth table looks like this:( and apologies I cannot format this correctly.)

INPUT A B OUTPUT
    0 0 0
    0 1 0
    1 0 0
    1 1 1

Here is an approximation of what a graphic depiction of an AND gate looks like:

=D-

the top line on the left is A, the bottom B and the output is shown on the far right.

Now to make things even MORE interesting there is a logical expression to represent all this above and it is: A.B - the full stop representing 'AND', ergo A is TRUE AND B is TRUE results in TRUE.

And here is the graphical representation - the model:

The switches on the left are up, representing on or 'true', since both are true the output is true so the lamp on the far right is thus lit up. :)

NOW - it gets more interesting because the expressions can become more complicated for example the logical expression for an XOR gate is :
_ ............ _
A . B + A . B (NOT A and B) OR GATE ( A and NOT B). The input is shown as negated by the presence of a straight line over the letter.

Here is what that model looks like:

I wont bore you with the truth tables for this but the shorthand is, for the picture above: input A is false or 0 and input B is false or 0, therefore output is false or 0.

AND WAIT, THERE'S MORE -

Yes, theoretically there are all these gates but in the physical world it is too complicated to make these gates on a chip.

Every single gate can be composed of NAND gates which takes only two transistors - so guess what? After I sketch out the theoretical model I have to then compose the physical model by translating all the gates into their NAND gate counter parts.

This is the AND gate composed of two NAND gates (or 4 transistors):

Now remember the logical expression of the XOR gate above? I had to develop the NAND gate equivalent of that today.

So, yes, my brain is kinda mushy tonight.

Boolean Algrebra is a series of rules one can apply to the above expressions to help simplify the the number of gates used to create a circuit. I am just scratching that surface. Hell I feel I am scratching the entire surface of Mars with this MSc. * sigh *

So thanks for skimming this, everyone. At least you get a bit of an insight as to how I spend most of my time. Perhaps in the next post I'll attempt to explain WHY I am learning all this. :P

:D

I created all these models using a cool website: LearnAndORNot which will let you make actual working circuits and test the truth tables out for yourself. :)
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:30 pm

To be or not to be is true.
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:57 pm

That's it? That's all I get???

:P
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Frelga » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:59 pm

I couldn't even remember that stuff when I was studying it!
Frelga
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby Swordsman_Of_The_Tower » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Hi 2002er here. Just popping in!
Swordsman_Of_The_Tower
Ranger of the North

Postby Bardhwyn » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:04 pm

Swordsman_Of_The_Tower wrote:Hi 2002er here. Just popping in!

YOOOHOO!! WELCOME SWORDSMAN!

We'll add you to the Class Roster!

You know you're welcome here at anytime - this is a place for '02'ers like yer'self to stop by and hang out.

So, you're New England proud, eh? Lemme guess - Massachusetts? :D

I'm a New Hampsha girl, m'self. ;) Sox Fan, are ya?? Pats? Or are you a Celtics fan?

I may be way off presuming you're a sports fan but it's hard not to be in NE and not be. Whaddayouthink?

And Frelga, your post touched on the deeper issue of why this stuff in the first place. *sigh*

:)
Bardhwyn
Mariner

Postby Vanaladiel » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Welcome Swordsman!!! :hug: Nice to see another wayward wandering 02er coming home to roost!! :D :clap:

Okay you lost me guys with the first word!! :lmbo: I am not a technical person and that stuff just goes wwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy over my head!! It hurts to think so high!! :P Though I am thankful someone understands it!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

We mourn the loss of another wonderful man from TORC! oldtoby we will always remember you and your wit and smile! Love you my friend! RIP 1/20/18

Always in our memories, vison :rose:, Alex :rose:, Rowanberry :rose: and Watcher :rose:! Our world is a little dimmer without your smiles!

For my dad who now resides with the Lord! :rose: 05/11/16 I love you daddy and will see you again someday in Glory!

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby earendil81 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:57 pm

Bardy, I can't pretend I understood half of what you explained but I find it fascinating... Way over my head as Vana said ;)

My darling one is cooking tonight so I get to watch my TV program (NCIS) and browse the net, ain't that cool :D :D :D

Welcome Swordsman :D :) :)

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby SilverScribe » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:13 pm

BooleanBardy wrote:We're in the land of binary, don't forget (we'll leave physical voltage out of it for now) so a gate can take inputs of either zero or one, the majority of gates taking at least two inputs (except the NOT gate which takes one input and inverts it). A gate can take many inputs but the output is ruled by the truth table - which as stated above sets out the sequence of inputs and related outputs.

Hehehe . . . and, as we all know, "There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand Binary, and those who don't."

:P:P:P:P:P

Sorry, I just couldn't resist . . . Bardy, man alive that takes me back more years than I even want to remember. How about registers? Have you done those yet or do they even include them in the curriculums any more? I remember bit-mapping them . . . it was fascinatiing but WHAT a chore . . . :D

Normally, I love my job. I LOVED my last project (in general). But the PM on this project is a totally aggressive, un-professional, disrespectful, inappropriate, mannerless, tactless, white trailer trash sack of orc-droppings and quite frankly, I don't give a flying owl fart how long whe's been with the danged company I'm older than her by a mile and if she's stressed, whoop-dee-doo-dah-day, that's HER JOB and it doesn't giver her the right to attempt to bully me over some petty minor thing, (which was her mistake in the first place ) like I'm a scabby-kneed 12 year old delinquent out in the playground. What the heck happened to 'professional courtesy'?
:lightening: Sheesh. Some people's freakin' kids . . . if she didn't outweigh me by 120 lbs or so, I'd have turned her over my knee and given her a piece of my mind . . .

As it was, I was scrupulously polite, but I'll be speaking to HER manager, never fear.

On a happier note . . . my mother was a good doobie and got all her tax stuff together for me. I picked it up today when I had lunch with her, so I'll be able to do both our Tax Returns this weekend and be DONE!! Woo hooo!!

SilverScribe

Postby GreyHavensWarden » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:35 am

Warden stopped getting reply notifications from this thread... he thought you were all dead... he is pleased now!

*waves*

GHW
GreyHavensWarden
Rider of the Mark

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:26 am

Oh Warden we wont all die at once... I promise!!! :hug:

Scribbles don't you just miss the days when folks all treated each other with respect and everyone worked as a team to attain the end results?? I work with a bunch of "kids" and I miss working with folks who understand the whole business of a job being a village. :roll: I even had a customer the other day that I wanted to tell off for being such a jerk and huffy with me because someone else got some customer service. Sheesh!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby earendil81 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:41 am

I SOOOOOOOOO wanna be back in my bed... My beloved fell asleep before me but on his back and on the wrong pillow. Direct consequence: he started snoring and I couldn't wake him up or get him to turn. Didn't fall asleep before 1:30am...
Story end: I told him this morning that he couldn't fall asleep on his back before me anymore, but either before me and on the side or on his back after me. Not that there's a chance this happens unless I go to bed an hour before him but hey one can hope right :lol: :lol:

My eyes are all swollen with tiredness like this --> :shock: :shock: and I feel like :zzz: :zzz:

But because I knew you

Can't get to me at all
I'm free
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby rowanberry » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 am

Welcome back, Lewie! :) Good to see that you found your way to this thread!

Eari, I can relate. :hug: I sleep rather lightly, and if the hubby starts snoring and I can't get him to wake up and/or turn on his side, I simply have to go and sleep in another room. Fortunately, there's a spare mattress in the walk-in clothes closet. Hope you get a better sleep this evening.
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby starlin » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:50 pm

Vanaladiel wrote:I prefer walks in the fresh air to walking on a treadmill.

Actually I do, too. At home I can go jogging because we live by the river, and it's not a perfect, but quite a convenient track for running. But here I just don't like the idea of running around on the busy streets of central London :roll:

Bardy, I go to the uni gym, it's alright for me, and most important, it's cheap - and close to the school (wish it was closer to home, but it's still close enough).

I go there not so much for staying in shape or losing weight as re-gaining all the energy that I lose sitting around in libraries and classrooms all day. Though I do confess I'm now on a sort of a diet and intending to look a bit better for next summer :P

Oh and Bardy, those pictures remind me of the logics and programming lessons that we used to have at school 8)

Frelga wrote:To be or not to be is true.

:rofl:

Oh, guess what... I just went to see WICKED!! This is the first time I saw a musical properly performed on stage, not on recording or as a movie, so it was exciting :) Can't say the music is impressive... but I liked the way the story is twisted so you can recognize all the Wizard of Oz characters and yet it's a behind-the-scenes kind of story. And, Kerry Ellis's voice is absolutely fantabulastic!
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Linteannaiel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:26 pm

:hihi: Hello everyone! It's been a long time since I've posted in this thread. Actually, this is my first post in this thread.. my last post was in the previous thread! Anyway, I didn't want to post until I was able to catch up with all the posts that were made since I last posted, so I'm finally here. ;)

Happy TORCiversary to those who had them whilst I was away! :D

Eari, I hope you feel better soon! :hug: I know how awful it is to be sick. I've had the flu for quite some time now and I'm getting really, really sick of it. No pun intended. :P :roll:

I've never joined a gym. Mainly because I can't afford it, and I'm able to get some good exercise at home.. anyway, I'm lazy, and I really just don't like gyms. :rofl:

Bardhwyn wrote:Here is an approximation of what a graphic depiction of an AND gate looks like:

=D-

That just looks like a happy smiley face to me. :D :rofl:

*waves to Swordsman* :hihi: Welcome to the Class of '02! Make yourself at home. :D

Don't worry, Warden. Though it may have seemed likely to you that I had died, I am very much alive. :P

Well, I must be going now! :grouphug: to everyone! :D
Linteannaiel
Ringbearer

Postby SilverScribe » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:42 pm

Sorry we scared y'all, Warden . . . and glad to see you don't scare easy, LOL. Glad you're back, too. :D

Vanaladiel wrote:Scribbles don't you just miss the days when folks all treated each other with respect and everyone worked as a team to attain the end results??

I do Vana, and on any other project I've been on, that's the norm. But I just can't understand this woman (and all supervisory/managerial type people like her). Why, oh why on earth would you be so incredibly rude and abusive to the very team of people who are working so very hard to make you and your project successful? It utterly mystefies me. The best I can figure is that she was bullied when she was young and has either grown up believing that this is acceptable behaviour when stressed, or she's simply one of those gullible women who believed the early 70's tripe that in order to be successful, a man only has to be smart, but a woman has to be a, well, you know . . . an aggressive dog of the female persuasion. The old adage about catching more bees with honey than vinegar may be time worn and old-fashioned, but for crying out loud, there's a whole lotta truth to the idea . . . sheesh.

Welcome back to Lin, it's good to see more and more '02 alumni popping back in to say hi . . . :)

I was going to work from home tomorrow, but it looks like hubby won't be working and with him home, I'll get absolutely nothing done sooo, I won't be able to listen to Fala live tomorrow! DRAT. *sigh*

But I'm looking forward to Friday, and for more than just the fact it's Friday . . . I have a checkup appointment for my feetssses . . . hopefully the Doc will be pleased with how well they're doing and I can forgo all the endless soaking! Besides, the salt water is drying my skin out something awful . . . :roll: I must have gone through a litre of Intensive Care lotion in the past two weeks alone, LOL!

SilverScribe

Postby earendil81 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:29 pm

Vanaladiel wrote:Scribbles don't you just miss the days when folks all treated each other with respect and everyone worked as a team to attain the end results?? I work with a bunch of "kids" and I miss working with folks who understand the whole business of a job being a village. :roll: I even had a customer the other day that I wanted to tell off for being such a jerk and huffy with me because someone else got some customer service. Sheesh!

Well, I have to say that respect is something that "elder" people don't get either... I mean today I got hung up so many times and without a thank or a good bye that I actually left my job early. I entirely understand that we are calling busy people and that telemarketing is annoying, but guy I'm also doing my job. I must admit that the last woman who cut me off rudely I almost called her back for the pleasure of hanging up on her :roll: :roll:...

I had a great singing lesson though... kinda frightening as I get to sing a solo part in a song from The Color Purple which sounds much more jazzy than I ever thought I could sing... Well I'll get to make a "Queen Latifah" impression :lol: :lol: :lol:...

Rowan, it's funny because I actually sleep better when he is next to me. And I used to have a very light sleep and not being able to go back to sleep if I woke up after 7am. Now, I just go back under the blanket and as he holds me I fall back asleep but when he snores (from the position he's on) or when he grinds his teeth, there's no way I can...

Starlin wrote:Oh, guess what... I just went to see WICKED!! This is the first time I saw a musical properly performed on stage, not on recording or as a movie, so it was exciting Smile Can't say the music is impressive... but I liked the way the story is twisted so you can recognize all the Wizard of Oz characters and yet it's a behind-the-scenes kind of story. And, Kerry Ellis's voice is absolutely fantabulastic!

Excuse me not impressive :shock: :shock:... Ok, maybe it is because I actually will get to sing some of Elphie's song but the music is wow. Ok I'm biased I loved this musical from the first minute because of Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweh... But you have to admit that if the music is not as amazing as POO or I don't know SoM (I've seen too many I like so it's hard to choose :P), the lyrics are witty and great :D. I guess it depends on the performance but I loved the Glinda I saw (can't remember her name for the life of me though)... Popular is just too funny :lol: :lol: And For good, which usually is in my sig is such a meaningful song ;) ;). Ah well tastes :D :) :)

Bardy, sorry to bug but I noticed my name isn't on the list. And that's when my PM decided to finish. I have to wait a little bit to get it back... ;)

Let's get to bed now is going to feel good
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby Vanaladiel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:26 pm

I understand Eari that disrespectful behavior is not just something the kids do. I am sorry that you job gets you lots of flack with the folks you have to call. :hug: We love you hon no matter what others might feel because of your job.

Good Night sweetie!!! :hug: Guru sends his love too!!
~*Daughter of the Moon*~

Bearer of "Elen~Uial"

Mithril Knight of Lore

Lifetime Award 2010

TORC 365 project
Vanaladiel
~*MoonLight Dancer*~

Postby Guruthostirn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:32 pm

Seeing logic...I couldn't resist...

Bardy, I only briefly looked over your post, but it brings back to me my philosophy classes in logic. Introductory Logic seems to be most similar to what you're working on...I remember it was a blast. However, Advanced Logic...more truth values that True and False (Don't Ask!) was even more interesting...

One of these days I'd love to study such stuff again in the future.
Guruthostirn
Mariner

Postby PatriotBlade » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:12 am

Heather drags herself in, waves and collapes into the nearest comfy chair.

It's pretty bad when I start telling people how to avoid getting sick, how I so rarely GET sick, then get knocked on my butt by a nasty flu bug. I went to work anyway, and tough I should have long ago been in bed, I'm still up, TORCing, of all things. Night all!
PatriotBlade
Ranger of the North

Postby starlin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:21 am

earendil81 wrote:Excuse me not impressive :shock: :shock:... Ok, maybe it is because I actually will get to sing some of Elphie's song but the music is wow. Ok I'm biased I loved this musical from the first minute because of Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweh... But you have to admit that if the music is not as amazing as POO or I don't know SoM (I've seen too many I like so it's hard to choose :P), the lyrics are witty and great :D. I guess it depends on the performance but I loved the Glinda I saw (can't remember her name for the life of me though)... Popular is just too funny :lol: :lol: And For good, which usually is in my sig is such a meaningful song ;) ;). Ah well tastes :D :) :)

Well... guess it's not my type of music ;) I tend to remember melodies of the songs that I really like. I can sing much of the Jesus Christ or Phantom of the Opera, but from this one, it's only Defying Gravity that really stuck in my head. Popular is cool too, I agree. But I can't remember the melody of For Good or I'm Not That Girl (although I liked the latter immensely in the show). Oh yes, the lyrics are great 8)

Or maybe I'm just spoilt. See, I've been trained in classical music for so long that I can't even enjoy a musical properly ;)

EDIT: Hi Swordsman! :hihi:
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby earendil81 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:15 pm

First of all my excuses to Lin, I didn't see your well wishes before now :oops: . And thanks, I don't know what it is and truth be told I kinda of hope it's the flue because the other possibility right now would mean 20 years of worries :P :P :P :lol:... (how I do admire my mum for having the 3 of us)

Starlin, I was trained classical too as it is... but I've always been attracted to Musicals. I guess it is because the first show I ever went to see was Hello Dolly with Nicole Croisille and I decided that it was amazing... Back in 1992 gee it's a long time.
I actually understand the melody issue, because in Wicked the melodies aren't exactly easy, and unlike Phantom or Jesus Christ where lots of the melodies can stick in your head this is not necessarily the case for Wicked. On that I definitely agree; I mean Dancing through Life, Thank Goodness or No one mourns the wicked aren't melodies that easily stick in your memory. But they also have an "air" of opera because Glinda has that thing about her ;) ;)...
I guess the interest in this musical is the words and how it sets so perfectly well the adventure for the Wiz :D :D.
I am actually looking forward to our next recital because I hope I'll get to sing both For Good and I'm not That Girl :D :D. That's what I asked my vocal coach anyway :P :roll:

Just a little break from the phone to pass by and send hugs to all of you guys :D :D
earendil81
In Love & Light

Postby starlin » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:18 pm

The "air" of opera: uh-huh, I noticed that, especially in the opening scene.
Good luck with singing those pieces! :thumbsup:
Oh and don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, thoroughly (humming Defying Gravity all day, I confess :whistle:) Just being snobbish. I never sing praises without finding any faults - nothing is perfect ;)
starlin
Ranger of the North

Postby Linteannaiel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks, Scribbles! It's good to be back. :D

Personally, I think respect is something that many people, regardless of their age, have so much more to learn about. It's never too late to learn how to treat others well, though, so we can always hope for those who may not realize how their behavior is affecting the people around them. That's my two cents on the matter, anyway. :)

Starlin, Eari.. I think Wicked is awesome! I've never seen the entire musical, but I have heard a few of the songs sung by the original cast members, and seen some clips of the original cast in the musical, and I've read the book (which I love). "Popular" is such a hilarious song, and I lurve Kristin Chenoweth. :D

That's all right, Eari! Happens to me all the time. I hope for your sake that it's the flu as well, but I'm sending you positive thoughts either way! :hug:

So, I went to the dentist today and had my teeth cleaned.. no cavities and I've apparently been taking very good care of my teeth. Yay! That's a huge relief for me. ;) :D
Linteannaiel
Ringbearer

PreviousNext

Return to The Library - General Archive