The Frodo/Elijah Blue Eyed Wonder Thread

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:42 pm

NAZ! :grouphug: Congratulations, BABY!!
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:01 pm

mechtild wrote:Nienor, I don't agree about Sean's RotK performance, which I did think oscar-worthy. Just as Frodo was the character that "carried" FotR -- having the most distinct "character arc" in that film, and as Aragorn was the character with the greatest dramatic arc in The Two Towers, I think Sam emerges as the character with the "arc" that shows the greatest dramatic range in The Return of the King.

I never thought his performance wasn't 'Oscar-worthy', just that everyone deserved as much praise as he recieved from this. Personally, Gandalf The Grey was the highlight in FOTR to me, with his rapid exit and all. TTT was Gollum's show. ROTK....I don't know, really. There are so many wrap ups, it's hard to choose. :wink:

When they were reviewing or nominating the performances in the films, as they were released, they focussed only upon the film before them. I said here before, I thought that as the films are seen as one huge work, more and more, critics and viewers will see, more and more, how magnificent and wide ranging was EW's work was as Frodo. But to appreciate it, one has to track its development across all three films. When they give out oscars, they only are looking at the one film, not all three. So, it made sense, to me, that Sean would be the likliest nominee for RotK, even though I wanted it to go to Elijah. Elijah's work could not be fully evaluated just from what the critic saw in RotK. It had to be looked at from the perspective of his work in FotR. But what Sean did in RotK showed almost the entire arc of his character, all in the one film. And I thought he did beautifully.

He did do beautifully. He managed to keep the humility in Sam's character, he managed to cry and laugh and pull it all off. At first I was upset that no actors were nominated from ROTK, but then I realized that it's better in a way...as Sean Astin himself said, it would've been awkward for just one of the actors to be in the spotlight. If they awarded ROTK standing alone and apart from FOTR and TTT, then a nod for Sean would've been approriate. But if they awarded ROTK not only for that and as almost a tribute to all three of the films, then I wonder what happened to Elijah's chance.

I was very glad to see the Screen Actor's Guild Ensemble prize go to all of the cast. I'm getting all worked up on awards here, when all that really matters is that I enjoyed the films and I'm still interested in reading Sean's book. :)

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby mechtild » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:25 pm

Neinor, I have really enjoyed this exchange. I want to say that I LOVED the awarding of an "Ensemble" prize at the SAG awards. THAT is what the movie's cast most truly deserved. It really was, intensely, a work produced by an ensemble; a "fellowship," even.

I will say, though, in disagreement, that, although I was impressed by the CGI, I disliked Gollum in The Two Towers. I thought he was caricature-ish. I found his schizo scene terribly over-the-top, for which he is so famed. I liked the bits in the EE far better; I thought his responses to Sam and Faramir, in the EE sewers-of-Osgiliath scene, brilliant and terribly moving. I also loved the EE exchange in the Dead Marshes, between him and Frodo (except for the tossing of the Lembas; book Frodo Baggins would NEVER have "tossed" a piece of Elvish waybread like that).

In RotK, however, I thought Gollum's "performance" was breathtakingly good; perfect, in fact -- awe-inspiring, in terms of "performance." WOW! I could watch the "reflection" scene, or the "He wants it; he needs it" scene, over and over, just for Gollum's excellence and the excellence of his interplay between the characters, all thanks to the CGI designers and crew, and Andy Serkis.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:40 am

mechtild wrote:(except for the tossing of the Lembas; book Frodo Baggins would NEVER have "tossed"....like that).

Resisting comment... =:)
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Fri Nov 12, 2004 9:39 am

LOL, Lembas...don't worry, it was not directed at you... :wink: I did think it was odd that Frodo tossed the waybread to Gollum like that, too. They had just met though, the level of 'trust' that Frodo and Gollum shared wasn't there yet.

mechtild wrote:I will say, though, in disagreement, that, although I was impressed by the CGI, I disliked Gollum in The Two Towers. I thought he was caricature-ish. I found his schizo scene terribly over-the-top, for which he is so famed.

Oh, I agree completely that it was over the top. Nonetheless, by the end of the film, Gollum is just so....Gollum. When Frodo tells calls him Smeagol, his expression is just priceless. The voice, the face, everything just fits. In ROTK, I guiltily love the "he took it, he took it" exchange between him and Sam, because he's almost childlike in a way, trying to be innocent.

It was wonderful to see the cast get the SAG award, even though Elijah's absence was glaringly noticeable to me (Mardi Gras or SAG awards? :wink: ), but with luck, maybe he'll be around there again for Eternal Sunshine.....

I love to be able to talk about these things here, too. My fellow LOTR fans (my sister and neighbor) were Legolas fans for the better part of the time when the first two films came out, so only now am I able to express my Frodo appreciation. :)

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby AquilaChrysaetos » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:35 pm

Hiya, just another quick post tonight. The unofficial ban's been lifted but I'm so tired tonight I think I might just go to bed!

I just wanted to say;
Congratulations Naz! If Delphy is out one night I volunteer to baby sit in her place! I hope everything goes well. :) :grouphug:

Nigh, if I could actually make any coherent thought I would comment on Mr Astin's book. You've all made me quite intrigued now. I'll have to read it when it gets to British libraries, it sounds illuminating in many ways.

Well, off to bed with me, see you all tomorrow.
Frazzle :zzz:
AquilaChrysaetos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby mechtild » Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:26 pm

mechtild wrote:
(except for the tossing of the Lembas; book Frodo Baggins would NEVER have "tossed"....like that).

Resisting comment...

Lembas, you crack me up! All I could think of was, "NOBODY TOSSES A DWARF!"

Aqulia, are you sure your library system doesn't have the Astin book? Our just got theirs two weeks ago, but I had reserved it early and so had first go at it. By the way, the book Andy Serkis wrote about the making of Gollum is quite good. And, it has good annecdotes. And, it's decently written.

Nienor, yes, I loved the "What did you call me?...(...)...my name...!" scene in the Dead Marshes. And I loved Smeagol bringing the rabbits in Ithilien; I loved him with the fish at the Forbidden Pool at the feet of the Henneth Annun, when he says, suspiciously, "...We should go now???" and all the way through his betrayal (he thinks) and capture. I only disliked his big scream to the camera at the end of the interrogation, "MY PRECIOUSSSSS!" Again, just too over-the-top for me. BUT, I LOVED his conversation with himself at the end of TTT, in the woods, about bringing them to Shelob.

It simply was a matter of "getting the hang of it," perhaps. By ROTK, they really had their Gollum concepts down.

As for the sharing of the Lembas [bread] in the Dead Marshes, I merely missed the tone of the book. In the book, Frodo clearly finds Gollom/Smeagol repellent, yet, pitiable. Once he has finished commanding Gollum in the eerie "Frodo transfigured" scene in the Emyn Muil, Frodo, showing his good breeding -- but more, his principles -- always treats Gollum decently. In fact he is consistently courteous to Smeagol in the book (until the slopes of Mt. Doom when he is, again, eerily "transfigured," and speaks to Gollum as a sub-bestial thing).

When Frodo offers the waybread to Smeagol in the book, he hands it to him, in its leaf wrapping. The very idea of tossing him a hunk! Not only would it NOT be courteous, it would be disrespectful to the Lembas itself, which was thought precious; it was given as a special concession to them, even though they were not Elves. Frodo treated it accordingly.

Well, I think I'll go watch The Two Towers! Now, I'm all in the mood.

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Texas-hobbit » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:19 pm

Nazzie! Congratulations! :D Another little wraith joins your family! I know you must be thrilled! Your description of Leah’s mothering techniques had me laughing. :P What fun you have ahead of you.

Lembas Junkie :D:D You are very silly!

mech, thanks for sharing your review of Sean’s book. I hope to locate it this fall, as well as Serkis’, which I’d forgotten about. If your perception of Sean is accurate, it makes me wonder how much of his apparent need for affirmation is a result of living with his mother’s mental disorder. It can’t have been easy to have the difficulties of being the child of a highly respected film star compounded by the unpredictable behaviors of a manic/depressive mom. The fact that her illness had gone undiagnosed and untreated during most of Sean’s childhood makes it even more tragic. I know they are coming to terms with it now, but I imagine unpacking all those emotions is a slow, challenging process.

Astin does seem to be a talented fellow and I dearly hope he will find fulfillment without misinterpreting the attitudes of others or nurturing an insatiable need to have others confirm his worth. His Sam has made me love him and wish the best for him and his career. But more than that, I hope he finds some sort of peace that will enable him to relax and enjoy the opportunities as they come.

nienor*lalaith, I so enjoyed your post in Moobies (in semuta’s thread, “How did your LotR Movie adventure begin?”) There have been so many interesting stories in that thread about how people first came to know the books and then to hear of/ see the movies. I plan to post my story soon, and will now encourage everyone here who hasn’t read that thread to do so. My main interest is the hope that many of us will tell our story. I’d be very much interested in what our group has to say about that. Some of the stories have been quite moving. Please take a look at it, everyone and post there when you can! I’m going to! I'll come back in a few minutes and link to the thread, so there'll be no excuse for any of you to not tell your stories of how Tolkien, the books and the films entered your life. :)

Added link: When did your LotR Movie adventure begin?

While checking back, I see Lembas Junkie has also posted her response. :)

mech I disagree with your caption. Your sig is VERY come hither! :)
And thanks to your link to Cot's "Springtime" and Wendy's many wonderful links in MOME, I'm afraid I will see some aspect of Middle Earth in almost every piece of art from now on. The young lad on the swing is very "Frodo" isn't he? And I can see Frodo whiling away the hours in a swing with a beautiful little lass. I'm convinced he would have been the romantic, dreamy type, had JRRT given him the chance to go a'wooing. Sigh.

And now for something very off the topic of Come Hither, Frodo:

I thought you all might want to see this trailer for my first starring role in a drama. The premier of this Oscar-worthy film is this Saturday.

[ROLL TAPE]

Showdown at the PC Corral

Starring:
Tex (the hero)
Computer (the victim or hostage, the damsel [?] in distress)
Mr. McAfee (the villain)
And his four henchmen: Personal Firewall, Parental Control, Privacy Suite and VirusScan

Scene: High noon. Brilliant sunshine streams through the windowpane. Tumbleweeds blow across the dusty stree….er, the bedroom carpet. “Computer” sits on a desk, bound and gagged by the four henchmen of Mr. McAfee. All four interlopers wait defiantly, if a bit nervously, for the appearance of Tex in her ten gallon hat (uh, make that a ten quart hat; Tex is a hobbit, after all). All the town citizens (Nimmy, the grey tabby and Bert, the fluffy yellow miniature lion) are cowering out of sight, hoping against hope that the foes will be vanquished. [You see, Tex’s frustrated language and elevated tone has been scaring them of late.]

Villainous VirusScan leans against the hard drive, shifting a stem of chokeweed from one corner of his mouth to the other. Fourflusher Firewall and Pernicious Parental Control laugh and give a merciless jerk to the cords binding the innocent little computer. Perfidious Privacy, the most heartless and calculating of all, wields a cruel knife, whittling another flurry of kbs per second off the download speed, little shavings dropping to the floor around his feet.

Up the stree….er, hallway, a clock chimes twelve strokes. The four suddenly straighten. The doorknob slowly turns and Tex strides into the room. She stops, her eyes narrowing as she solemnly assesses the situation. Nimmy and Bert shrink further into the shadows under the bed.
After a few tense moments, Villainous VirusScan speaks.

Villainous VS: (sneering) So, here ya be, Tex. I was beginnin’ ta thaink ya warn’t a’gonna show.

Tex stands rock still, saying not a word.

Emboldened, the other three begin to taunt.

Pernicous Parental Control.: Lookit ‘er! She thinks she kin take the four of us!
Fourflusher Firewall: McAfee owns this town and he don’t take no truck with no little tin-horn sheriff, see?
Perfidious Privacy: Yep! Yew jus’ take yer high falutin’, city slicker self back to wharever yew cum from, ya hear? This here’s our territory now.

Tex looks at the four goons, then down at the pleading eyes of the terrified computer. She sets her jaw and with a smooth motion, sweeps back the fringes of her vest and positions her hands over her holsters. Menacingly, she flexes her fingers as the four stand with weapons at the ready. Suddenly, quick as lightning, she whips out from the left holster, a brand new disk of Norton Anti-Virus 2005. From the right holster, she draws out a sheaf of removal instructions, fresh from the technician at her sibling’s work place.

The McAfee Gang gasps, but opens fire with all they have….

Fade out to black screen…, then the words…”.Action! Pathos! Terror! Passion! The Cinematic Must See of the Year! Coming to a theater near YOU!

Hope you enjoyed the trailer! The showdown is Saturday, and I have this to say to McAfee Security Suite: “You’re going down, baby, you’re going down!”
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:40 am

Hello Everyone.

Tex! Good luck with your shoot-em-up with your virus program! :rofl:

By the way, I've posted in "When did your LOTR adventure begin?" thread. It's interesting to see where it all started for different people.

I'm happy to report that my son has arrived home from Bali unscathed. He's had a wonderful time, doing things he's never done before (Parasailing, Jet-Skiing, Go-Karting, Bungee Jumping :shock:, riding elephants, etc!) I can't wait to see his holiday pics!

Sig Pic Alert! Starting tomorrow, I think it would be great if everyone showed or linked to their all-time favourite Elijah/Frodo pics! I'm sure there'll be a great variety of beauties there!

Goodnight all!

Maewyn :)
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ereshkigal » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:00 am

Oh yes, Mae--I like that idea! I've enjoyed lifting all of your Come Hither pics--my photos are becoming rather inspiring again!

Hey, is anybody considering going to ORC? I'm still in the thinking stages (my husband said he is definitely not interested). Let me know if you are, or you have an insight to share (like a previous, "man, that wasn't worth it experience," or the opposite!).
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby NazgulRus » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:58 pm

Eresh: what is ORC?

Tex: LOL about your techno-Western!!

Mech and Nienor: Your discussion is one close to my heart. I agree with both of you that the SAG awards were so fulfilling, all of them getting the same kudos, which is only right. Because i have such a hard time separating Elijah from Frodo, I tend to feel protective of him as I do the character, and this makes me sad that he didn't get the attention I thought he deserved for his acting. What Elijah did was subtle, and managed to show an inner battle raging. Sam is a much more "obvious" character with plain emotions from a plain mind, and I think Sean did beautifully, but that it was easier for him. Just my opinion.

Lembas: "nobody Tosses a Lembas"!!!
NazgulRus
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:35 pm

Tex, your "show down" scene must be underway in "real life" (who has one?), by now. May the best sentient being win! (In fact, the only one in your contest.)

Tex, your remarks about Sean's childhood and its effects on him are well-considered. This was discussed over in The Faculty, too, in terms of how much impact it would have on him, throughout his life (so far, anyway). It is certainly true that EW's childhood seems to have been one nurtured by caring, competent parental care, in spite of his parents splitting up and his father not being involved, compared to Sean's. Sean touches on his mother's states a little in the book, enough to give the impression that it was scary, painful and wearing.

Also, I had a look at the "When did your LOTR adventure begin?" thread you linked and posted there. Lembas, Nienor*lalaith and Maewyn, I loved your posts. I loved Diamond of Long Cleeve's, and Primula's, too. Tex, I don't think I saw yours. Did I miss it, or have you yourself not yet posted there, due to your High Noon issues? Did I miss anyone else's posts? I scrolled, I confess. I didn't have time to read all of them.

Ereshkigal, I want to know more about ORC, too. Is it the convention thingy in CA at which HE will be present to sign autographs, etc.

"Oh, Mr. Wood, if you'd just like to sign my "sword-raising action-figure," I'd be most grateful. And this piece of chocolate brown velvet -- could you just rub it over your "Nine" tattoo for me, pretty please? I'll close my eyes while you do it." (HA!)

Nazzie
, how's Leah's re-education going? :) :) :)

Yes, what Elijah did as an actor was more demanding than what Sean did. Still, I don't think it's takes away from Sean's performance that his character was more "obvious." I've read that about McKellen's Gandalf, too. That, for Sir Ian, playing Gandalf was a piece of cake, so why give him a special award for it? But, as a performance, it's a brilliant one, whether it was massively difficult for him, or "a piece of cake." Or something like that.

But, awards aside, I do care about EW's future work. I so hope these next projects pan out, professionally.

And if he wanted to play something in which I could swoon for him, all the better.

:twisted:
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:40 am

Eresh, and Naz, and anyone else who is wondering...

Here, for your delectation and excitement, is the Official ORC Website :-

ORC

I cannot go to this, due to reasons of distance and the presence of a rather large ocean and continent in the way...and to my eternal sadness, I've never yet been to a Convention, of ANY kind, much less one where His Highness will be in attendance !!
Other people I know HAVE met Elijah, however, and they ALL go gooey over just how intrinsically nice he is...however long a day it's been with thousands of photos already signed, he still has time to smile and appear to be really interested in what YOU have to say...and he always appears to be REALLY touched and genuinely pleased when you tell him that he's the best thing since sliced bread...even though he must have heard it a thousand times that day alone !! :roll:
What a Treasure !!...sigh...

Index Magazine have just published a short article about "Everything Is Illuminated" and TORN, as usual, have, very helpfully, scanned the article and its accompanying pics for their scrapbook pages...
Here's the link :-

EII Pics

Just take a gander at those glasses..apparently they magnified everything 5x, :shock: and so Elijah had to wear his own contact lenses underneath, just to stop himself from falling over...can you imagine how difficult that makes everything??

Tex,
I do hope you win the shoot-out with McAfee's evil henchmen !!!
I know that evil computer-programs are the Devil's own job to vanquish once they take hold...

Have been loving the discussion about Gollum's scenes...I, personally, LOVED Gollum, and thought he was an absolute Masterpiece...except for where he occasionally screams at the camera...there, he takes on the appearance of , well, a CGI character !!! It's suddenly obvious what he is...everywhere else, he is totally convincing, imo !!
The bit I loved - the one scene where I really KNEW they'd done their work well - was where Frodo calls him Smeagol for the first time, and says, "That was your name once ??" His expression was absolutely spot-on...even down to tiny swallow he gives, in amazement that anyone would know his real name...Beautiful work...

Now then...Favourite Pictures eh ??? Just how many are you expecting, because one ain't gonna be enough !! :roll:
OK, here goes...

Elijah as Classic '30's Hollywood Film-star

Pippin's Hug

Frodo Looking Somewhat Concerned

Frodo Unretouched

Elijah Profile

Elijah Looking at You !!

There...that should boost your lost pics collection somewhat !!!
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maewyn » Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:47 am

Hello Everyone

A little swooning material to you from me!

My very first Frodo pic

Sad but beautiful

I love this one!

Something to dream of as I head off to bed! Goodnight all!

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby nienor*lalaith » Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:19 pm

Hey everyone...

Those Index magazine scans like tripled my excitement for EII. I can't wait!! Poor Elijah, having to wear the thick glasses over contacts...I just recently got contacts after having glasses for almost 10 years (!!), and it's still a pain in the neck, and you can get pretty bad headaches from taking them off and on and stuff.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in quick and leave one of my personal favorite pictures...

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/ROTK_frodo_teaser_poster_L.jpg

It breaks me heart, but I love it. :)

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby NazgulRus » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:00 pm

Ah, Nienor, the Frodo Agonistes shot. My personal favorite as well. Thanks for the reminder!!! :)

Does anyone else want to throw caution and money to the wind and go to this ORC thing?? (Thanks for the link, Wendy!) My word, I'm there in my mind. Seriously, say the word and I just might meet you there.

I was waited on at a restaurant by an Elijah look alike, who leaned in close and flirted with me to make the picture complete. As they say here in East Tennessee, hoo, Law, he was a beaut!!

Mechtild: Yes, I agree that performances, even if "easier" should be noted for their brilliance. It is only fair to admit that I could fall into certain roles very easily as a mezzo,(the big witchy mother-in-law types) but never begrudged myself the good reviews, even when it was easier than other, more demanding roles. But geez, does Frodo's life have to be thankless for Elijah as well? I hate that! :cry:

And just when I vowed not to go OT with anything anymore, because I am such a terrible offender, a sad thing has happened that I must share, because it will define my life for a while to come. The church I serve nearly burned to the ground this morning. I can still smell the smoke in my clothes and everything I've touched. We worshipped outside today, and it will be months before we can be in our building again. There was no foul play, no one was hurt, but it is traumatic and frightening. They did not train us in seminary for this. So keep Washington Presbyterian Church in your thoughts and/or prayers if you would please.

I am so sorry for the OT. I promise to stop doing it now. But I had to share.

Love and Elijah dreams to all
Nazzie
NazgulRus
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:37 pm

Naz, you wrote,

And just when I vowed not to go OT with anything anymore, because I am such a terrible offender, a sad thing has happened that I must share, because it will define my life for a while to come. The church I serve nearly burned to the ground this morning. I can still smell the smoke in my clothes and everything I've touched. We worshipped outside today, and it will be months before we can be in our building again. There was no foul play, no one was hurt, but it is traumatic and frightening.

Nazzie -- "And just when I vowed not to go OT" -- puh-leeez! That is a very major sort of OT. What an awful thing! I can't imagine -- well I can, but it woudn't be accurate -- what you and your parishioners are feeling right now. To have a "home" burnt down like that... Yes, traumatic -- and frightening. Just what you don't need -- newly carrying a child as you are -- too.
I am so sorry, Naz.

Thinking of you, duckie,

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Wilma » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:56 am

Hello Ladies. Uh I heard you talking about this ORC thing run by TORN. Uh I wanted to say something about the Company Creation. Firstly, I will say I've heard ALOT about them since they run the 'official' Farscape conventions. The company is owned and run by the brother of one of guys who runs the Star Trek Franchise. When I first heard Torn was doing it with creation I thought Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! Of all companies to work with. I'm really holding back now, but I will say That I'd recomend the Wizards circle. Basically at creation cons the people who pay the most money get the best experience, and I think they give away stuff. (Really holding back). I will caution those who do debit transactions with them. One scaper paid that way and they ran the ONE transaction through SEVEN times!!!! It took a week for them to get their mony back!!!

OK I'm gonna stop holding back. Most people do not have positive things to say about creation until lately and there's reason for that. From most people I've heard you are treated like cattle. You have minimum time with the guests and you barely get to talk to them as they want to move the line as quickly as possible. When there were problems with food service most of the time the Staff didn't care. Creation wasn't very supportive of the save Farscape campaign until very recently even though they were helping their business. At the con before this years upcoming con they didn't even invite certain Farscape guests since they deemed them to old or not popular enough (side note: you can only be in one ep of Farscape and the fans will remember you forever, I'm not kidding) :x We had to run an email campaign to get them invited. Also there is a serious mark up of things like autographs and pictures. EX at a fan run Farscape con it was 25 bucks for a picture and you knew that money went to the actor. At the creation con it was 40 and 50 for the same fricken actor!!!

The only positive reviews about a creation con is from one person I know who has been to every single one of them and always buys Gold ticket passes. Only recently have the Farscape creation cons improved because at one they held in NewYork while things were going bad everyone was discussing the fanrun con and how absolutly wonderful it was. For years creation did not see the need to improve how their conventions even though they had disatisfied customers for years. It was only until there was actual competition did they care to improve thir convention experience. Basically they are only in it for the money.

This is a part of the reason why I suport fan run conventions instead of for profit conventions (like creation) I'm also not a fan of their tiered ticket sales either, but that's just me. If you want to hear more you can ask on the various Farscape sites (since as you can see I'm a little biased).

OK rant over.

Edit: to fix spelling.
Last edited by Wilma on Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wilma
Ranger of the North

Postby Wilma » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:02 am

Oh if it really comes down to it. Choose the photo op over autographs!!!!! You get to spend time with the guest that way and the guest will usually go out of thier way to make it special. There is like gauranteed touching!!!!! I got a bear hug from one of the Frascape actors and a person I know got a kiss from the lead actor of Farscape (and has a piture to prove it).

OK I'm done. I guess I had to really get that off my chest. (I'm going to hold back on the things I've heard about TORn :oops:
Wilma
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:44 am

Wow, Wilma! :) You know, it's funny. I was thinking to myself how much I'd love to go see this whole ORC thing (I've never been to a convention before, and I don't care how "geeky" people say they are...I am going to one someday! :D ). There's been so much talk about it, and I hear that our very own EW will be there, fancy that! But of course, being a student, that is just not the good thing to be doing with me $$$ right now, especially with Christmas coming and all (I'm so excited, I *love* Christmas! :D ) . ;) So I will have to watch for the pictures on TORN.

But I would really like to go, Naz. :) And when I do get to go, I'm going to be telling you guys and the folks at Aunties all about it, and we'll get to meet at last, and also maybe even sneak a snuggle from EW! :D

Hee hee!

Lembas
:)

p.s. Naz, I'm so sorry to hear about your church! :( At least nobody was hurt, and it's not the church, it's the people that count, right? Hope you're okay. :)

Edit: I know what you mean, Wilma, about having something run by fans instead of a company. :) Who would know better what a fan would like then a fan them self? Having them run the show would probably put it on a much more personal and fun level, too, wouldn't it.
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Wilma » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:09 pm

Oh Naz I'm so sorry about your church :Q At least it's getting rebuilt. That will be something to celebrate. I do though understand the feeling of loss though. My mother went through a fire when she was young and her little brother had to catch their mother from a second story window. Just remeber that your congregation is still together and you can get through this. :grouphug:

I'm sorry I didn't reply ealier, but I had to get that off my chest. I don't believe in extortion, but if I had the money to get the wizards circle plus photo ops I'd be there in a heartbeat. Lembas you are totally correct. Also I wasn't surprised that it was run by one of the brothers of B&B. Sheesh!! I swear when they hear fans they just think dollar signs, not people. Also I've had fabulous times at fan run conventions so I get a bit peeved when someone just looks at a con as a way to fatten their pockets. I can't bilieve the photo op prices!!! Why oh why did torn have to choose a company instead of doing it themselves? They always talk about how everything is for the fans and by the fans and blah, blah, blah. I'm not impressed. :x
Wilma
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:50 am

Hello Everyone.

Oh, Naz! I'm so sorry to hear about the fire in your church. But the most important thing is that nobody was hurt. I'm sure the people and community will rally around to get things started on re-building. I'm thinking of you.

I was waited on at a restaurant by an Elijah look alike, who leaned in close and flirted with me to make the picture complete. As they say here in East Tennessee, hoo, Law, he was a beaut!!

Lucky you! I saw a young man a couple of months ago whilst sitting in a "food hall" in a shopping centre. He walked past and I thought, now doesn't he look familiar? I couldn't take my eyes off him (a bit difficult when one's husband is sitting at the same table!). He could have been Elijah's double! He wasn't close enough to see what colour his eyes were, though!

Some more favourite pics. Beautiful, no matter what the situation.

No. 1 A big decision

No. 2 Fascination

No. 3 Unexpected help

No. 4 Lowest point

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:49 pm

Naz wrote,
"I was waited on at a restaurant by an Elijah look alike, who leaned in close and flirted with me to make the picture complete. As they say here in East Tennessee, hoo, Law, he was a beaut!!"

(Naz, feeling any better...? :) I hope so. :) )

Maewyn wrote,
"I saw a young man a couple of months ago whilst sitting in a "food hall" in a shopping centre. He walked past and I thought, now doesn't he look familiar? I couldn't take my eyes off him (a bit difficult when one's husband is sitting at the same table!). He could have been Elijah's double."

Why is it that when I go places, I only see other people who look like me? :roll: It's a conspiracy!

Lembas, I will be very jealous but pleased to hear of anyone going to this ORC thing.

From what you said in your helpful convention advice, Wilma, GO FOR THE PHOTO OP!

If I were to go, I would do that. I would ask Master Wood to sit upon me knee, the little cutie-pie. He could tell me what he wants for Christmas. Wait, that would be over by then. He could tell me what he got for Christmas -- and what he wished he had gotten, but didn't. I could prod him, you know, if he found himself suddenly at a loss. =:)

~ Mrs. Santa, aka Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby princessFaz » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:41 pm

Hello everyone!!

Congratulations Naz!!! Happy for you!!! Do you have 9 kids? :?

And so sorry about your church. Thats sad. :(

I am looking for Forfrodo again!! Has she been here lately? I cant find her. I did hear from her last time i came in here searching for her...Anyone???

Thanks!!!

Pfazzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Your Elijah pics are beautiful. So I'll SWOOOOON for him a little. :oops:
princessFaz
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:14 pm

Princes FAZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I slobber for your sig pic. Is it from the EE, for sure???? Faramir's hair looks freshly washed; is it from the wedding????

Glad you like ours, try the links, too. It's favourite pics week of FROOOOODOOOO and ELIJAAAAAH in here.

Faz, no word from ForFrodo. I emailed her when the next chapter of my story was posted; that was last month. I told her in that letter that you were looking for her, too. You said above, "I did hear from her last time i came in here searching for her..." Does that mean, when you were looking for her last month, you did make contact with her? That's great news, if so. I wish she would return to us. :cry:

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:12 pm

Maewyn, I love the 'a big decision' picture...Once I paused my DVD in that frame, and I swear I stared at it for like two minutes straight.

You would think it would be hard to find an Elijah look a like, since he has such unique features. But I've seen one myself, only tanner and with hazel eyes. It's funny how you get all excited, even though you know it's not really him.

I don't know what I'd do if I actually had the opportunity to come face to face with Elijah at ORC or something... I met my very favorite musician in person once, and I still can't believe it. It was like I was watching someone else meet him, shake his hand, talk to him. It was so surreal.

On another note...Naz, I'm very sorry about the fire in your church, and grateful that nothing happened to anyone. My uncle is a minister as well, and I can't imagine what it must be like for something like that to happen to the church community. You'll all be in my thoughts.

Let me dig up some more favorites of mine....

Classic...

That look...

Baby blue....

Ok enough for now. :)

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby Ereshkigal » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:10 pm

Wilma,

Thanks for your candid remarks. I've looked over the schedule, and it really doesn't look like too much is being offered. I'd be afraid that if I did take my kids, and they were treated like cattle, someone in our group would have a major meltdown (and quite possibly, me). I think I'm only going to go if I can swing it without kids. Getting away like that is difficult, though. I'm doing it this weekend, I think, and now babysitters I had lined up have called me to cancel, and I don't know if I will make it afterall.

I'd have to go for the Wizard's Circle, but I don't know if a few seconds of photo op will make the whole weekend worthwhile. I'm still thinking about it, but I'm not sure.

Eresh

P.S. I love all the pictures, everyone. I'm rightclicking so furiously my ring finger is sore.

P. P. S. Naz--I'm so sorry to hear about your church. I can't imagine what that would be like. Please accept my prayers and condolences.
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby Wilma » Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:48 am

Eresh. Definitely go for the Wizards circle. This weekend is the official creation Farscape con (I'm not jealous no). I can start a thread for my Canadian buds going and ask them how it went, If you want to sign up for the Canadian board I can introduce you and you can ask them questions too . You can then get feedback directly from people who have been to one. If I could find the CD's I'd upload the pictures I've had with the farscape actors I've met. There's one link here of me meeting one of them (please be kind, my face is all scrunched up since I was so excited). I was very excited since he knew I waited a long time and gave me cuddles. Although I think the price for the photos for the Torn event are extremely high and I think the actors charge less at other cons (remember creation takes their own cut). Try and spring for Elijah if you can. Take this time for yourself and see if any relatives or someone can take the kids. Conventions are extremely fun. Also since probably a lot of Torn people are going you might want to get to know some of them a little on the torn board (getting roomies is a fun way too). So you won't feel to lost. Most conventions I've attended I've gone solo and picked up friends at the event. I must say though at the LOTR one I went to many groups self segregated themselves by what website the frequntly visited (i had never seen that before and I had attended 3 cons before that one). So its good to try and get 'in' with the Torn people. There is alos a thread about the Torn event on Torc in the events section.
Wilma
Ranger of the North

Postby princessFaz » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:41 am

Yes, Mechtild, last time I came in here looking for her, I ended up emailing her and she did reply, but we ended up not getting together b/c my sister was sick. Now we want to get together again, but she hasnt replied. So if ANYONE sees her anywhere on the forum, let her know I'm looking for her.

And yes, my sig is supposedly from the EE, from the HOH scene, although it's not official. Isnt he Fluffy? Here's the links:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/ ... 0eowyn.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/ ... Faz/FB.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/ ... romir2.jpg

This one is official: (from HOH)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/ ... az/HOH.jpg

Sorry, I know this is the Frodo thread, but I wanted to share with Mech...

And I am swooning for Frodo, there is something about his eyes...he's very beautiful...
princessFaz
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:32 pm

Faz, you've inspired me to dump a few pictures into my Photobucket. :D Here we are, Ladies:

Lembas' Official Come Hither picture: :D
http://photobucket.com/albums/v518/Lemb ... erBaby.jpg

City Boy lookin' fine:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v518/Lemb ... tyBoy1.jpg

Cheeky monkey: :)
http://photobucket.com/albums/v518/Lemb ... ething.jpg

Just because I really like how this one turned out! :D
http://photobucket.com/albums/v518/Lemb ... reSexy.jpg

Frodo talks to Gandy:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v518/Lemb ... oGandy.jpg

The EYES on this guy!!
http://photobucket.com/albums/v518/Lemb ... hisGuy.jpg

Love those hips you got, baby: =:)
http://photobucket.com/albums/v518/Lemb ... psBaby.jpg

*sigh*...I've always liked turtlenecks...
http://photobucket.com/albums/v518/Lemb ... enecks.jpg

I'll have a special batch of LOTR ones later.

Lembas
:)
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Fandom Archives