Silmarillion Swooning

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Postby Aurelin » Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:11 pm

I feel sorry that the poor guy looks so creepy and old in the films.

:rofl: I mean, it is not really funny but the way you wrote it it sounded hilarious. Probably since I felt that too.

Beating Maedhros up physically and mentally is fun! ;) He does come off so well as a tortured soul.

Oh yes, the redheads! SW :love::love::heart::love::love: NNN!!!

Hmm, never thought about callouses put you are right and I think that now that you brought it up, I can well imagine them so. It's as if I just did not come on it before. They might not have had wound steel strings but I think they had had ones of some metal (I am assuming Elven hair would be too fancy!) and I think middle-earth is not that much of a fantasy to have a metal that would not cause callouses when dealt with as in a string for longer periods.
Since I can very well imagine sword-calloused handed Elves, musical instruments' callouses are not much different.

:roll: Aurelin :roll:
Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:45 pm

Yes, on third thought, metal strings are a must. I'm sure the Elves in their skill would have devised them. Gut strings do not stay in tune worth a darn. :roll:

SW :love: :love: N for Maedhros, whom we insist on torturing! :(

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby None_Elf_Ear » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:17 am

Thank you for having a picture with Finrod the Faithful in your siggie, Doni, it goes exactly with my actual feelings. After reading the Lay of Luthien to my beloved, I remembered how much I cherish him, the wonderful and the most fair-hearted Noldor King ...

:cry2:
None_Elf_Ear
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:58 pm

Speaking of the Lays and cherishing - I might have mentioned it before but I am not sure. Anyways, the Howe artwork that is on at least the Harper Collins edition of the Lays was what truly made me start to emphatise with Fingolfin. Before that I did not really but that pic brought home the full dramaticity (is that a word?) of his final battle and brought him to my favourites list.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:06 pm

Thank you, None! I really do admire Finrod's sacrifice for Beren. So noble and so tragic! :'(

Um, I don't think dramaticity is a real word. ;) I believe that drama is the word you want. I had to think about that for a bit, though. Hmm... I don't think I've seen the pic you refer to. I'll have to look for it.

I did get a very friendly reply from Chmiel about the fanfic for that picture. The fanfic, titled The Follower, is about Maedhros and Fingon's friendship in Valinor, and may be found on fanfiction.net by the author Ivanneth. I've read the first chapter, and really like the writing style. I'm not entirely sure, but I'm concerned there might be some "slash" later on in the tale. :( I don't understand why people want to take Tolkien's male/male friendships and make them into something he never intended.

~Doni

P.S. Aurelin, have you got a line figured out for that spot in Neither Law yet? :D You must inform me, as I need to add it to my version. (You don't mind if I hang on to a copy of the story, do you?)
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:32 pm

Doni - the pic is here.

I agree about the slashiness of some fanfics - the overall major lines of the author should be respected.

I was just thinking about that line and mailing to you, Doni. So I shall. And I do not mind you keeping a copy! :)

SW :heart::heart::heart::love::heart::heart::heart: NNN!! for Maitimo Russandol

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:11 pm

Thanks for the link. :) I have seen that pic before. It is quite dramatic, as you said. (Did you noticed that the mountains in the background echo the shape of Morgoth's helm?) I was quite impressed with Fingolfin's valour in riding out to combat Morgoth one-on-one. He must have been rather despairing or fey to have done that, though. He had to know the odds weren't really in his favour.

By the way, have you figured out my title yet? ;)

SW 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) N for Fingolfin, who has a cool name and to whom I used to be allied before I, um, defected.

And a great SW :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: N for the eldest son of the object of my defection. :P

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sun May 01, 2005 3:40 pm

I think I might have noticed that about Morgoth's helm but I had forgotten - very neat. I love that kind of small touches.

Speaking of the title - no I have not figured it out. I am pretty sure it has to do with Maglor and Maedhros but besides them...?

for the eldest son of the object of my defection

:lol:
Oh, were you allied to Fingolfin before, I did not even remember any more. I was allied for a long time with Thranduil until I defected too for the reason of being true to Aurelin's heritage. And at least in those forums that I frequent the Elwe badge is not that used, which is a nice thing too.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sun May 01, 2005 3:54 pm

Aurelin wrote:

:lol:

You could say that the eldest son of the object of my defection is the object of my affection. *groan* :roll:

Yes, the title is simply a reference to Maedhros and Maglor. It doesn't really have any other meaning than the obvious, but I thought that "M+M's" sounded kind of mystical. :P

Well, I changed my alliance to Thranduil shortly after "joining" the Legolas swooning thread, so that's probably why you don't remember my alliance to Fingolfin. Really, I probably should be flogged for my desertion, considering where I have ended up, but oh well. At least I'm in good company with Fingon.

Ah, I don't think my lack of wit has been aided any by a long day of orchestra rehearsals and concert. Just ignore my pathetic attempts at humor.

A long over-due SW :) :) :) :) :) :) :) N for Fingon!

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Mon May 02, 2005 10:47 am

You could say that the eldest son of the object of my defection is the object of my affection.

That would be a nice title for a Maedhros pic.

I am glad I did then figure your title out, Doni! :)

Did you perform at the concert too? How did it go?

SW :love::love::love::love::love::love::love::love: NNN!! for "the eldest son of the object of Doni's defection who is the object of her and my affection

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Mon May 02, 2005 11:19 am

Oh, were you allied to Fingolfin before, I did not even remember any more.

So, that's where it comes from...

And, I'll have to SW :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: N for the Spirit of Fire himself this time - I recognize a lot of myself in him, although me hitting my head against the wall hasn't had so dramatic and devastating consequences yet. :wink:
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby MithLuin » Tue May 03, 2005 9:32 am

Swooooooooooon for Fingolfin, who has the coolest horse ever ;)
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Aurelin » Tue May 03, 2005 11:14 am

I have to pretty much agree about the horse, though Nahar and Shadowfax are up there too.

Rowanberry - :D :lol:

SW :love::love::love::love::love::love: NN!!! for Huor who we really know so little about but I have always liked him nonetheless

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sat May 07, 2005 6:50 am

rowanberry wrote: the Spirit of Fire himself this time - I recognize a lot of myself in him, although me hitting my head against the wall hasn't had so dramatic and devastating consequences yet. :wink:

I know what you mean. I've got my own struggles with stubborness and pride.

And speaking of hitting your head agains the wall, my younger sister used to bang her head against the sidewalk when she was angry as an infant. :lol: She turned out all right, though.

Over in the Man of the Month thread, Aurelin said:

Yeah, it seems we are transforming to Maedhros-lassies! Which is not nad, not bad at all.

I'm afraid my two good friends are in deep despair over my change of heart.

Speaking of Maedhros pics, I know I've already brought this one up, but I have to mention it again because I absolutely love his hair in it. (Maedhros is kneeling to scrub at Caranthir's face.) I used to prefer Jenny Dolfen's short-haired Maedhros, but I think I'm now evenly divided between hers and Chmiel's long-haired version.

*swoon*

~Doni

EDIT: Aurelin, yes, I did play in the concert. It went very well, from all I could tell. (I'm usually so engrossed in my part that I don't have much attention to spare for how the rest of the orchestra is doing.) I'm a little sad that it was the last concert of the year, but I'm glad I don't have any more orchestra music to practice! I have enough to do with my lesson material. Still, I am looking forward to playing in the orchestra at college next fall.
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sat May 07, 2005 3:05 pm

She turned out all right, though.

:D

I used to prefer Jenny Dolfen's short-haired Maedhros, but I think I'm now evenly divided between hers and Chmiel's long-haired version.

And the more pics of the long haired Maedhros you all have given links to and I see I an arriving at that point too. ;)

I am glad the concert went great for you, Doni! :) Though sad that it was the last this year, I think that with the whole going to the college and finishing school, it might give you some needed extra time.

SW :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P NNN!!! for Turin because his brooding and doomed countenance can be very attractive

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sun May 08, 2005 5:10 pm

:D at the Túrin comment.

I must give one last
SW :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: N for Maitimo Russandol before heading off to Alaska.

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Wed May 11, 2005 11:28 am

When you get back, Doni, you can check out this part of the story Regrettable Decisions. I think you have read some of the previous parts but this deals with Maedhros' rescue, so I thought it might be fun to read it considering what you are writing.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Tue May 17, 2005 8:45 am

*looks around* Where have all the swooners gone? :? (OK, Doni may not be close to a computer at the moment, but the others?)

Anyway, SW :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: N for the second greatest (but a lot nicer than the #1 guy) singer ever among the elves... :wink:
rowanberry

Postby Aurelin » Tue May 17, 2005 2:40 pm

I'm here! :)

My SW 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) NN!!! of today is for Denethor, the Elf whose brief but heroic appearance in the books appealed to me from the start.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sat May 28, 2005 12:54 pm

I'm now back, too. I flew home this morning. To use my favourite Shakespeare quote, "The time is out of joint!" What with time changes and overnight flights and two weeks of glorious and exhausting insanity, I'm really quite drained!

I have no idea whom to swoon for at the moment. I guess I'll sw :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: n for Beren, as he surely knew what it was like to be exausted from long and perilous journeying.

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sat May 28, 2005 1:04 pm

*tackles Doni* I missed you so much! Rest well and therefore SW :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: NNN!! for Este! I'm glad you had such a great, though tiring time! :D

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Sun May 29, 2005 11:15 am

Welcome back, Doni!

And, you know, you can never swoon too much for either one of the M+M:s...

But today, I SW 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) N for Círdan, commander of the Telerin fleets before settling down in Lindon and taking up shipbuilding as his primary job. :wink:
rowanberry

Postby Donisiliel » Sun May 29, 2005 12:32 pm

:grouphug: It's good to be back! I missed you, too. I'm afraid the tiredness is still upon me. :roll: The whole two weeks that I was visiting my friends, I'm we stayed up rather late at night. Then our flight home was overnight and I really didn't sleep much then. I'm going to be a while recovering from the sleep deprivation, it seems.

Refering back to my comments on movie Elrond, I watched The Matrix for the first time with my friends last week. Hugo Weaving actually isn't too bad looking as an Agent. However, he's a pretty weird Elrond, particularly in light of his role in the Matrix. You know what else I noticed while watching that film? I think that Keanu Reeves looks somewhat like Anke Eissmann's Faramir. At any rate, he looks more Gondorian to me than does David Wenham. My friends were horrified at my suggestion that he would have made a better Faramir than DW. At least I believe so as far as looks go. I haven't seen any of his other movies, so I can't really judge on acting ability. DW did do a good job of acting in LotR, but I have much difficulty with the fact that he doesn't look Faramirish enough for me.

I like the new title, Rowanberry. Am I allowed to join the fanclub? ;) Actually, Aurelin and I should run one for Maedhros. :D Speaking of the Elf, I need to get working on his tale once I recover from my exhaustion. Or maybe writing while in this state would be more inspired. *deep sigh*

SW :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:DN for Káno and Nelyo!

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sun May 29, 2005 3:23 pm

Rowanberry wrote:Círdan, commander of the Telerin fleets before settling down in Lindon and taking up shipbuilding as his primary job.

and beard-growing! :D

Doni wrote:You know what else I noticed while watching that film? I think that Keanu Reeves looks somewhat like Anke Eissmann's Faramir.

He does kind of, from the side I think. Truth to tell I have not seen the Matrix properly either, just some bits and pieces since I found it too boring to watch from start to finish, so I kept flipping channels when it was on TV.

I'd like to enlist in the Maglor fan-club as well! And, Doni - that is a good idea about Maedhros' one! :P
I guess that being tired would get you in the mood of the story but I think you should rest and then get to the writing.

SW :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P NN!! for the Winsterhand :love:

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Mon May 30, 2005 11:00 am

You're both welcome to the club. :D And, if you found one for Russandol, I sure want to join that one... :love:

I saw both Hugo Weaving and David Wenham in an Australian romantic comedy Russian Doll, and I'll have to say that Weaving was actually quite good-looking in that one, whereas Wenham looked better as Faramir.
rowanberry

Postby Donisiliel » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:59 pm

What makes Elrond so creepy must be the receding hairline and the knots in the hair. :shock: :roll:

I was over in the Jenny Dolfen thread in the Art forum and am quite pleased to hear that Jenny has two Maedhros pics in the works. Rowanberry, I know you've already been over there. Aurelin, you must stop in to see the premilinary sketch of the first pic. It looks quite promising.

I like Maedhros's windblown hair. I also like style of clasp on his cloak with the two brooches connected by a chain or something. (I'd like to make a cloak with that type of tie sometime.) And YEAH, she's finally doing him with the copper circlet. I can't wait to see this one in colour.

Good news, Aurelin. I wrote two paragraphs for my tale before succoming to the summer lethargy brought on by the heat and humidity. Seriously, though, I intend to get more done later. It's taking a while to get back into the mood since I haven't thought anything of the story for more than two weeks.

I finish with a SW :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: N for the copper-haired one!

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:01 pm

Thank you for letting me know to check it out, Doni! :love: I think I will certainly fall deeply in love with the pic when it is finished. It is so good to see the copper circlet, I have been wishing for it. Oh, and I kind of got carried away by the fact that though we do not see it - this is one of the now ?4 pics of Maedhros with his right hand still intact!
I wonder who the Elf is who seems to look at Maedhros looking at them - Maglor? Oh, and is it just me, but does Maedhros in that pic remind you of Anakin in Ep III too?
Anyways - SW :love::love::love::love::love: NNN!!!

Speaking of pics - I was on the deviant.art page and I found one of Jenny's pics I had not seen before - The Gift, of Feanor and little Maedhros. I do not have the time right now but I think I will certainly want to read the fanfic it is based on.

I'm really glad you made some progress on the story! I have understood that the amount is not what is that important, but the writing-process itself that keeps you in the right mood for it, creating no gaps of like 6 months like with my S&S story a while back.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:50 pm

I think that is Maglor looking back at us (the viewers) with his long, dark hair blowing about him. And :Q eek!! about the Anakin thing. Yes, I do see what you mean. I think it's the way he's sort of glaring from beneath his brows that brings out the resemblence.

I actually just returned from the theater from watching that movie. (I thought it was quite good, by the way.) Actually, looking like Anakin isn't a bad thing; I found him quite attractive in Episode III. Much better than Episode II, though he wasn't so bad there. I think much of my preference has to do with my liking longer hair on fellows.

Anakin did remind me of certain aspects of Maedhros and the Fëanorians. The scene when he "draws" his lightsaber on the Younglings made me think of Chmiel's painting of Elrond and Elros before Maedhros and Maglor. Horrible Maedhros, in that pic! :evil: :cry2: <---That's me crying.

Anyway, I should be off to bed.

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:29 pm

Yeah, the glaring under the brows is what made me think of Anakin too and Maedhros' hair is somehow under the cloak and seems shorter than it really is.

I did not think of the Younglings-E&E comparison but you are right, and of course the hand thing is obvious. But I have to say that it is interesting how the reasons for their subsequent actions are different and though I am way more sympathetic to Maedhros than Anakin, getting back a jewel (initially) vs protecting the one you love looses hands down.

I liked Anakin a bit more in III than in II but for some reason I really did not connect to the character. All the reasons are there and it should be easy but somehow I am unable.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:13 am

Now, go and check Jenny's thread in Art - she's finished a simply SW :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: Nable painting about Fingon. Who, definitely, is an elf worth swooning.
rowanberry

PreviousNext

Return to Fandom Archives