Silmarillion Swooning

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Postby Aurelin » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:08 pm

Thanks for the link - I totally agree about him being worth SW :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: NNing wholeheartedly for! I love the background - the wheat field brings to mind Amarie's pic but then you get to the sky and see it is definitely not Valinor. The wristguards are gorgeous - those are butterflies, am I right?

Today I finally had the chance to read the story The Gift that inspired Jenny's painting of the same name. It is very very good (and very very sad, in fact I cried when I read Feanor's words at the end and what those made Maedhros do) - here.

Edit on Sunday. I was looking for something (the new trivia question as you may guess, rowanberry) and I came upon this interesting little statement in the Shibboleth:

The names of the Sons of Fėanor with the legend of the fate of Amrod wrote:Kurufinwė Fėanor's own name, given to this, his favourite son, because he alone showed in some[my underlinings] degree the same temper and talents.

I find that very interesting because I rather thought that the same could be said of Caranthir and Celegorm in the temper part.

:roll: Aurelin :roll:
Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:25 pm

I also love Jenny's new Fingon painting. First, the setting of the wheat field strikes me as very dramatic, in now small part due to the fact that it reminds me of the beginning of Gladiator, a favourite film of mine. Fingon's expression is wonderful, too. My favourite detail is the fact that he's got his harp slung on his shoulder. I'm still kind of amazed that he took that with him. *imagines lugging her heavy violin case on a rescue mission* It's a good thing he did, though, otherwise he might not have found poor Maedhros!

Aurelin, in your e-mail, you'd written that you weren't sure about how Fingon is supposed to be wearing his hair. He has it in braids with strands of gold, as is told in one of the HoMe's. (I don't remember which volume any more. :P It's one of the earlier ones that I don't own yet. ) As you said, though, Jenny does seem to have given Fingon rather wavy hair in addition to the braids.

I'm not sure what the ornaments on his vambraces are supposed to be. They do look somewhat like moths or butterflies, but that idea strikes me as a little to frilly for someone like Fingon. In Jenny's earlier painting of Maedhros's rescue, you can see the detail of the armour and those ornaments (for lack of a better word) don't looks so butterflyish there. They're more sharp, for one thing. Now that you've mentioned it, I've always thought they did look like wings of some sort. I prefer the look of the sharper lines in the earlier version. I also noticed that his bow is different in the new pic. I think the new version is slightly cooler. (Somehow, it feels weird to apply the word cool when speaking of the weaponry of a First Age elf. :roll: )

All in all, though, I love Fingon's arms and armour. :D It's cool to see his sword in the new pic. Which brings me to a question. Aurelin and Rowanberry, what do you suppose Fingon used to remove Maedhros's hand? I don't like the idea of using the sword. I imagine he'd have used a knife. Of course the proper tool would be a bone saw of some sort, but I doubt that Elves would have carried those about commonly. :P

That's a very interesting line you have pointed out, Aurelin. Trying to sort out the temperaments of Fëanor's sons from small hints here and there is a interesting business.

Aurelin, I love the new sig pic. When I first saw that painting, I wasn't very fond of it, but it has certainly grown on me. :)

Well, I suppose a SW 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) N for Findekáno is in order, considering my long gushing post about him. :blush:

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:43 am

I haven't thought of it before but bringing a musical instrument along on a rescue mission is kind of odd. I guess we can say that it was Iluvatar's work that he did.

Thank you for the info on Fingon's hairstyle. I need to check it out for I do not remember any of it myself. But it sounds really a "cool" style!

Hmm, wings, wings anything related them to Fingon does not come to mind.

Doni, thank you! I feel the same about my sig pic - at first I was not that fond of it but it does grow on you and does show a different and more K.Chmiel's style Maedhros.

Sword or knife? Yes, right now I do not recall there having been any mention of it but I rather thought he did use a sword because with that you could get the arm separated from the hand with a one well-aimed blow while with a knife you'd saw and saw. The latter of course is dramatically more powerful.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:18 am

Here's a new sw :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: nable Maedhros pic by Jenny... :love: :happydance:

At first I thought that, Fingon must have used his sword to cut Maedhros's hand. But, it may have been rather difficult in that situation - I always thought that he was sitting on the eagle's back all the time. If there was a ledge or something he could stand on, it would make it rather different, though. On the other hand, if he had a sharp knife that was large enough, he could have used it, maybe even cut the hand with one strike... I'm really not sure. :?
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Postby Aurelin » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:47 pm

Thank you both for alerting me to the completion of the pic! :) It is very very swoonable :love: and Jenny also gave a link to a sketch of a new Maedhros pic as well in the Sil art thread. Wow! We are being heavily spoiled! :D

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:29 am

:D I think one can tell from the choice of sig pics where our loyalties lie. Perhaps I need to rename this thread the "Sons of Fëanor Swooning Thread." ;)

I'm happy that Jenny has finally given Maedhros a portrait of sorts. :D Quite devastatingly swoonable, if you ask me.

Thanks for your input, ladies. I've been working on that stage of my story lately and was curious what others thought of the process. The reason I don't favour using the sword on Maedhros' hand is that I don't believe it would really be all that effective. First, like Rowanberry said, sitting on an eagle's back is not the best place to be swinging a sword around. Secondly, although in the movies, swords are always quite sharp and manage to take off limbs with one swipe, I doubt that in real life it was always so easy. I'd be afraid that a sword wouldn't properly cut through the bone and that instead, the force of the blow might actually fracture the bone in an undesirable way. On the other hand, sawing with a straight-edged knife isn't going to get you very far, either. I'm not entirely sure what Fingon would have done, but I'd sooner choose the knife as the tool.

Aurelin, I found the line about Fingon's hair. It actually is in HoMe XII. I fell across the spot again quite by accident two days ago. It's in the section called "The Names of Finwë's Descendants" in the Shibboleth of Fëanor.

In the case of Fingon it [the name element fin] was suitable; he wore his long dark hair in great plaits braided with gold.

I'm afraid that I can't quite see him with all his hair in plaits. I prefer the look Jenny has given him: loose hair with several braids in it.

Closing with a SW :love: :love: :love: N for Russandol!

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:50 am

Rowanberry, I am repeating myself but wow what pic the Losgar one is! :love:

Doni, thanks for looking up the passage about Fingon's hair. I'll find it for myself too. All his hair in braids does not work for me either, some braids with loose hair is how I would imagine him myself as well.

For the fun of it, I think I will try to see if there is any menation of what kind of blade was used on Maedhros but I guess that if we three do not recall nothing of the kind, then it is most probable there is nothing.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:32 pm

Thanks, Aurelin. I don't believe that it is mentioned, but it's worth a second look. I've read several accounts of the story from the various stages of the Silmarillion, and one aspect that I'm planning on bringing out that is not in the published Silmarillion is the fact that Thorondor even tried to break Maedhros' bond.

Speaking again of the stunning Losgar pic, I printed it from my computer and stuck it in a frame I had picked up to use as future dorm room decorating material. The affect is very nice. :)

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sun Jun 19, 2005 1:07 pm

I can pictre it! :P

Ah, yes the Thorondor element - I like it. It gives him an even more active part in the events of the rescue.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:42 pm

Now, all you Sil swooners, take a look at this... Jenny Dolfen and Anke Eissmann decided to collaborate, and especially Jenny (whose style I prefer) portrays the troublemakers as just sw =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) nable...
rowanberry

Postby Aurelin » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:21 pm

Oh-la-la! :shock:
I love the smug look on Jenny's Curufin's face!

I guess this will be my first ever Sw :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :P NN!! for the two!

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:42 pm

Donisiliel is back again! :D And it's a very nice welcome home from two weeks of vacation to have two lovely new Sil paintings to see.

Aurelin, you must stop in to Jenny's thread if you haven't already and see her latest Maedhros. I won't say I swoon for this one, and when you see the theme of the pic, you'll understand why. I think it's wonderfully done, all the same; it's very very dramatic. I like seeing Jenny finally show the dark side of Maedhros. I'm strongly reminded of Anakin Skywalker in Episode III, what with the darkened lighting, especially about the eyes, and the fact the his eyes almost glow a yellow colour.

I like the collaberated pic as well. Celegorm shows more of a physical intensity, whereas Curufin's power is in persuasive words. The contrast is very nice. I love the embroidered detail on the clothes of Anke's elves, too. She always does a good job on that sort of thing.

Todays SW :P :P :roll: :P :P :roll: :P :P N is for Elves in general, who don't catch viruses and go about coughing their brains loose, as I have been doing for the past several days. But don't worry, I'm on the mend.

~Doni

EDIT:

I had to note that I like the quote you've got in your sig, Aurelin. It's very fitting. I take it Breakthru must be a band. What kind of music do they play? I see that that particular pic must be a favourite of yours, too. I think that no matter how many pics of Maedhros that Jenny does, Forgive Me, My Brother will always be my favourite. I think what I like so much about it is that it shows Maedhros in a rare vulnerable moment. I usually see Maedhros as being rather proud and independent, someone who seldom asks the assistance of others. I also love the way it emphasizes Maglor's love and grief for his brother. Hey, Fëanorians have feelings, too!
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:22 am

It is sooo good to have you back! I want to hear of your opinion about the new S&S chapters I posted (but take your time reading, of course, no rush).

Wow! That pic! *is speechless* I think I will risk a swooooooon for the new Maedhros pic although I might come off as really weird. I very very much like it, perhaps because of the dark mood of the pic, because it gives now a face to the dark side of Maedhros as portrayed by Jenny. Just fabulous! And quite like I had him in my mind from that time.
For some reason I see less of the Anakin similarity in this pic as compared to the Losgar one. In my case it means good since I am not that big a fan of Ani, lookswise.

I love the embroidered detail on the clothes of Anke's elves, too. She always does a good job on that sort of thing.

Those look very neat.

:hug: Doni - yes, that is one thing that is good about being an Elf! I'm glad you are feeling better already (I hate coughing muself most of the less-severe illnesses).

I do adore Forgive me my brother. Doubtless for the reasons you mentioned. I did think of making the new kinslaying Maedhros the new sig pic but it seems not to resize well so I do not want to do that to that wonderful artwork.

Thank you, I love those words of the song as well. Breakthru is my brother's band, it is a christian rap-metal one I think I have mentioned over on the Leggy swooning thread.

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:05 pm

Thanks for your concern over my illness. I'm much better again today. Yesterday, I couldn't breath without causing a tickle in my throat which forced me to cough. I'll actually be able to get to sleep tonight. It's hard to sleep when you're coughing every 60 seconds.

Don't misunderstand me, I do think that Maedhros in that pic is quite swoonable, but I can't bring myself to swoon for a kinslayer in action, as it were. :roll:

The Anakin resemblence is certainly not a physical one. It's the lighting and tone of the pic that strikes me. Do you remember the scene in which we first see Anakin after he's fully turned to the dark side? His whole countenace looks much darker than before and he's wearing those golden-orange contact lenses. For me, this pic has exactly the same effect.

Hmmm...I must find a safe Maedhros to swoon for. Well, I think I can safely SW :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: N for pre-rebellion Maitimo, short-haired version. :wink:

Oh, and I'll have a look at your next chapters. :)

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:02 pm

Don't I know about the "joys" of coughing and trying to sleep. A few years ago I had the kind of unrelenting cough for three or 4 years in a row, once in the summer and once in the winter. My muscles over the ribs quite literally hurt from all the coughing.

Doni wrote:but I can't bring myself to swoon for a kinslayer in action, as it were

I might be too far-gone in the Russandol-swooning-business, or just plain =:).

Do you mean the place in the SW III where Anakin marches with the Clones behind him into the Temple? Yes, it reminded me of that exact place as well somewhat (mainly because of the eyes, I guess).

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:38 pm

I'm not sure exactly which scene in SW that is. I was thinking that it was after Anakin had destroyed the Jedi in the temple, when they first show him on that volcano planet. (Gee, "volcano planet" sounds so inteligent, doesn't it. :roll: ) Anyway, I could be wrong as it usually takes me several viewings of a movie to get the details properly memorized. I want to go see that movie once more before it leaves the theater. I'm going to try to go with my aunt if she can find a time to get a sitter for her kids.

My muscles over the ribs quite literally hurt from all the coughing.

Yeah, that happened to me, too.

Thanks for explaining about Breakthru. So they write some of their own music. That sounds like fun.

Todays SW :angeldevil: :angeldevil: N goes to Túrin for being a fascinatingly complex character.

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:47 pm

Breakthru writes all of their music themselves (well mostly by the singer but in the melodies also the others give their input). ( I think you can tell how proud I am of the fact that they are not "just" a cover-band! :))

The scene I meant was when Anakin goes to the Temple but I have seen the movie only once and I cannot now recall whether his eyes looked that yellow colour then or not. I might be confusing the two bits of the movie as well.
Nothing wrong with the "volcano planet"! :P Nice and descriptive. Do we ever get the actual name of the planet given or not?

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:07 pm

I looked at some old copies of the Star Wars e-newsletter from my trash folder and did find the name of our volcano planet. It is *clears throat* Mustafar.

SW :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: N for Maedhros, whose fiery death was much more successful than Anakin's.

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:54 am

Ah, yes, the name of the planet does sound familiar now that you have dug it out! :)

Maedhros, whose fiery death was much more successful than Anakin's.

*gets a sudden flash of Maedhros in a Darth Vader suit (but preferably a copper coloured one) before her eyes* :P

SW :heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: NNN!!!

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Rinon » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:12 am

Just stopping by to sw :Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Q:Qn for Luthien and all of the Vanyar ladies that we never got to see :( :roll: But they sound hot :wink:
Rinon
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:32 pm

*bump* and

SW =:)=:)=:)=:)=:)=:)=:)=:)=:)=:)=:) NN!!!! for Feanor because I had quite an annoying and bad day.
(not to worry you too much -I did solve most of the little promblems at work but let us just say that yous truly was the one who caused them to arise in the first place!:P)

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:52 am

I'm sorry to hear you had some troubles at work. :hug: Though it can't have been fun, I'm sure that you learned from the mistakes, and things will be much easier in the future.

My cousin saw your sig pic on my computer desktop and said it looked "freaky." :lol: But Maedhros does make such a handsome, if demented, Fëanorian, doesn't he?

SW :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: N for Maedhros Russandol!

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:40 am

Oh, yes, he does indeed! I am only sorrowful that the pic did not size down satisfyingly good :'(. It is freaky but swooony in it's freakiness.

You are perfectly right about those mistakes - I did learn of those and I suppose they did come from the long days and only one day off in between the 4 and 3 of work. When I am tired I tend to rush things and once I do that I do silly mistakes. I do my best to take things slowly then but I am not a patient person so you might guess how well I do in the slowing-down business! :P =:)

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby Fea~*Mar~Vanwa~Tyalieva » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:43 pm

wow i'm so glad i found this thread! can i join? :)
i like silmarillion characters even more than lotr ones, maybe because they're all elves hahaha
so, i'd like to SWOOOOON for Feanor; even though he did all these horrible things, I still like him the most. i actually like how he's so flawed and proud and all that, hahahahaa that's really weird.
but still, i'll also swooooooooon for all the other elves too :heart: :heart: :heart:
Fea~*Mar~Vanwa~Tyalieva
Shield Bearer

Postby niamh » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:22 am

Aurelin, I have resized the picture satisfyingly for you. Where can I mail it to you?
niamh
Ranger of the North

Postby Donisiliel » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:24 pm

I see we have a few new swooners. We're glad to have you. From now on, you guys and Aurelin will have to hold down the fort, as I'm retiring from TORC due to the onset of college. However, don't worry; I'll be still as crazy about LotR and the Sil as ever. Aurelin, I'm so glad we were able to fill almost the entire 300 post limit of our first ever Sil Swooning thread. I pass the torch to you. ;)

One last swoon for my two favourites:

SW :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: N for Maglor!
and SW :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: for Maedhros Russandol Maitimo Nelyafinwë! *thud*

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:18 pm

Niamh - I am very very grateful! :) Wow! You can send it to aurelin_silvershadow @ yahoo.com. Thank you, thank you!

Welcome Fea (can I call you that?) and Niamh (I see you are a celtic-stuff fan! Have you read J. Marillier's books?)

*accepts the torch, nearly burning her fingers!* Doni, may the skies of your college-days be as blue as a certain red-headed elf's shirt-stitchings! ;)
I had not looked at the post count for a while - almost 300, that is good for Sil characters who have only been portrayed by artists and not in a movie.

SW :love::love::love::love::love::love: NNN!! for Maedhros for Doni, :hug:

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

Postby rowanberry » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:22 am

Hey, welcome, new Sil swooners! 8)

Farewell, Doni - hope you can drop by sometime, on your vacations if not otherwise!

I just checked Catherine Chmiel's newest paintings, and inspired by them, I SW =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) =:) N for Maeglin this time - bad but gorgeous! In Ill-gotten Son, I can really feel sorry for him...
rowanberry

Postby Donisiliel » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:03 am

Aurelin wrote:*accepts the torch, nearly burning her fingers!* Doni, may the skies of your college-days be as blue as a certain red-headed elf's shirt-stitchings! ;)

:lol: You silly girl! :hug: Thank you, and have some ice on that burnt finger! *hands Aurelin an ice cube*

Yes, I saw those pics of Maeglin. He is swoonable, in looks at least! And there's a new pic of Maedhros, too. ;)

Goodbye, Rowanberry! *waves* I'll miss you!

~Doni
Donisiliel
Ranger of the North

Postby Aurelin » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:32 am

A *forget-I-ever-did-it* SW 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) NNN!!! for Maeglin because you cannot deny his looks! Idril (I am assuming it is her) looks very very gorgeous as well).

Ouch, ouch, sigh! That is better!*thanks Doni for the icecube*

I saw the new Maedhros of Chmiel's - for some reason I never conciously registered it as a clearly phrased thought but her Maedhros has quite a different hair-colour than Jenny's. Don't ask me where my head was until now! :P

Aurelin
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Fandom Archives