The International House of Swooning for Pancake Faz/Daisy

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Postby Texas-hobbit » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:45 pm

Hello, Fazguls! I've been enjoying all the beautiful new pics of Faramir in the MOM thread. As "the hour" approaches, I know waiting is hard to take. So I found one more slightly lesser known Faramir pic to share with you: CLICKY!

It's not likely to be in the final version, though. :wink: :lol:
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby princessFaz » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:54 pm

Lalaith and Nim!! You lucky things!! Thanks for the info! I'm really looking forward to it. Only 48 more hours for me....

Tex - :rofl: :rofl: That better be on the blooper edition!!!

SWOOOOOning for the gorgeous and cheeky one...
princessFaz
Ranger of the North

Postby bab5nutz » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:11 am

bab5nutz
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lady_Niwella » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:04 am

Quickie swooon from me.

Don't want to spoil anything for those 'gûls who haven't seen the EE yet so I go back to lurk mode now...
Last edited by Lady_Niwella on Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady_Niwella
Ranger of the North

Postby Lhaewin » Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:51 am

It´s so quite here! Is everyone only lurking or even not even that because there might be too many spoilers being posted?

bab5, a lovely wallpaper! I definitely need a lesson in photo-shopping.

I hope everyone will get the EE in time so that we can discuss and swoon here together.

Sunday SWOOOOOOOOON for Faramir, who could have got some more lines in the EE!
Last edited by Lhaewin on Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby princessFaz » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:03 am

Still no EE for me!! Tomorrow night!!

But I read that filming is done on The Proposition, so I guess DW gets to be home for awhile, then does he start Cyrano???

Bab - lovely paper!!
SWOOOOOON
princessFaz
Ranger of the North

Postby anuhealani » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:41 am

Hello, 'gûl. I just wanted to pass on this little nugget of info. I watched it for the second time last night, and it was much, MUCH better (as I'd hoped). I actually cried this time.

(But the MoS scene is still unacceptable.) ;)
anuhealani
Rider of the Mark

Postby RakshaTheDemon » Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:49 pm

Did anyone get the deluxe gift version of the ROTK ee, complete with replica of Minas Tirith? I haven't ordered yet, and am trying to talk myself out of getting the deluxe version in favor of the ordinary much less expensive version, especially since I'm buying at least one LOTR movie art book complete with photo spread of Minas Tirith. I plan to order today or tonight, along with other stuff, from Amazon.com....

I finally bought a DVD/VCR combo! After three days of agonizing because it wouldn't send the signals to my quirky TV, I unearthed the remote of my TV, and now all is well. The unit, a Toshiba, was less than $150, and gives better quality picture than my ancient but reliable Zenith VCR - I can now watch vids while online without streaks appearing in the picture....

RAKSHA THE DEMON :lol: , swooning for whatsisname
RakshaTheDemon
Rider of the Mark

Postby Cressida » Sun Dec 12, 2004 1:34 pm

Raksha, I'm planning on getting the deluxe edition. I got the deluxe editions of both of the other movies, and besides, I really want the mini-MT! I love the way Minas Tirith looks in the movies.
Cressida
Ranger of the North

Postby princessFaz » Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:34 pm

Raksha, I'm planning on getting the deluxe version of the movie with mini MT!!! I hope to get it tomorrow at midnight at Walmart. I hope....

Which art book are you getting? I wonder if there is going to be a new one...Wheres the art book with the photo spread of Faramir?

Swoooooooning for the gorgeous fluffy one....

FOTR has been on TNT this weekend. It's on tonight at 8 I think...
princessFaz
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:02 pm

lhaewin - I love your sig. Very seasonal. :lol:

Can't wait for you girls across the pond to get your EEs. It will be interesting to hear all your opinions.
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:03 pm

These double posts are a pain :x

May as well make use of it and invite you all to a night of festive fayre -

Eowyn in Gondorland: Cute girl with long blonde hair falls down a hobbit hole, where she meets the mad hatter (Denethor) and the Prince of Hearts. (guess who).

Cinderfella: Pantomime for all the family, in which Faramir works in the kitchens of Minas Tirith, whilst Denethor and Boromir host a ball for the royal family of Rohan. A wistful Faramir is visited by the Fairy Gandalf, who tells him he will go to the ball.

Music Hour: Classic songs such as Wide Eyed and Legolas, Gimli Gimli Gimli (an elf after midnight), and A Hard Hobbit to Break, followed by a selection of Elvish music. (e.g. Jailhouse Rock, Love Me Tender etc. ;) )
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby Liselle » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:29 pm

Ugh...the EE...Mmmm....swooooon.
Liselle
Rider of the Mark

Postby princessFaz » Sun Dec 12, 2004 3:32 pm

PoI - :rofl: :rofl:

Liselle - so you liked it? :D
princessFaz
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:15 pm

PoI- HDTOL!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

sw0000000000000000000000n for the Prince of Hearts!
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Cressida » Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:47 pm

To pass the time until we all get the EE, I have a question for anyone who likes Bookamir, which is just a little too fannish/swoony to bring up in the "Books" thread. (It doesn't apply to Filmamir, for reasons that will become obvious when I tell you what the question is. :P )

The question is this: what is it about Bookamir that makes him interesting (not just attractive)? I often hear people complain that Bookamir is a nice guy, but, well, dull because he's not conflicted or "interestingly flawed." (I espeically hear this from Boromir fans, for probably obvious reasons.)

I know the obvious answer is "Just shrug and figure it's their loss," but sometimes I actually want to get into a friendly dialogue about this. And of course I find Faramir the complete opposite of boring, myself, but I'm not quite sure I can put my finger on why. Listing his good qualities is no help in such a discussion because it's just taken as proof that he's dull.

So, well, what do you think? Anybody have thoughts about this?
Cressida
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:20 pm

Good question, Cressida. :D

Obviously, I've always thought that Bookamir was interesting... I think what drew me to him. besides the fact that he's so noble and romantic...*thud*

...um, where was I?

Oh. Right. I think that out of all the characters that Tolkien put into LOTR, he's the most complex. He's a warrior (and a good one, no matter what Denethor thinks, or he wouldn't have lived that long) who can spout off Numenorean history at the drop of a hat. He suffers the loss of basically his entire family within a few weeks, and yet his first impulse in the Houses of Healing seems to be to want to help Eowyn through her grief. And personally, I think he does change in the story. He says that proof would be necessary for the king to be able to claim the throne, and yet he immediately recognizes who Aragorn is. And he talks so much about how the race of Numenor is diminishing etc., and yet the woman he falls for is completely unlike that Numenorean ideal.

I'm probably just making a list of why he's so great instead, aren't I? Darn. This argument doesn't even make sense to me. so I'll shut up and go get some sleep or something. I think I need it.

Sw :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ning for NobleandRomanticamir!
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby faramirfan2 » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:46 pm

Hi All Fazguls,

It's more than 2 months since I've been on this board. Just want to drop by & say hello to all of you. I've been tied up with school work & have limited net access.

TNT has been showing FOTR marathon & when I saw Boromir, I thought of SM right away. I know, I have the DVD, but still, watching it on TNT gives a different feeling.

Anyway, I'm sure Tuesday will be a BIG DAY for all of us. The WAIT IS OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
faramirfan2
Shield Bearer

Postby RakshaTheDemon » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:27 pm

shieldmaidenofrohan wrote:Good question, Cressida. :D

Obviously, I've always thought that Bookamir was interesting... I think what drew me to him. besides the fact that he's so noble and romantic...*thud*

...um, where was I?

Oh. Right. I think that out of all the characters that Tolkien put into LOTR, he's the most complex. He's a warrior (and a good one, no matter what Denethor thinks, or he wouldn't have lived that long) who can spout off Numenorean history at the drop of a hat. He suffers the loss of basically his entire family within a few weeks, and yet his first impulse in the Houses of Healing seems to be to want to help Eowyn through her grief. And personally, I think he does change in the story. He says that proof would be necessary for the king to be able to claim the throne, and yet he immediately recognizes who Aragorn is. And he talks so much about how the race of Numenor is diminishing etc., and yet the woman he falls for is completely unlike that Numenorean ideal.

I'm probably just making a list of why he's so great instead, aren't I? Darn. This argument doesn't even make sense to me. so I'll shut up and go get some sleep or something. I think I need it.

Sw :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ning for NobleandRomanticamir!

What a great question!

How do I love thee, book-Faramir? Lemme count the ways...

1. Is the mysterious, coolly competent leader of the green-clad Rangers of Ithilien.

2. Lives in a cave with said Rangers, yet manages to maintain decorum and civilised eating habits after wiping out the enemy advance column

3. Gives weary hobbits a Numenorean/Gondorian history lesson along with a good meal and wine

4. Loves lore and music and is also good at shooting enemy soldiers and critters

5. Has tremendous self-control except when burbling declarations of love to shieldmaidens atop city walls

6. Doesn't risk his men's lives without good reason

7. Tall, dark-haired and handsome

8. Independant thinker; and so helps Ringbearer and the cause of saving the world

9. "he can master both beasts and men."

10. The ability to read the hearts of men is sexy.

I've always found the concept of a warrior/scholar very appealing. And Faramir is more emotionally connected to other people than is Aragorn. He's also part of a fascinating family. And he certainly does more to heal Eowyn's heart than anyone else. And did I mention the air of high nobility?

Eowyn might not be the Numenorean ideal, but she does have Numenorean blood, though less of it than Faramir has....

RAKSHA THE DEMON 8) , swoooooning for Sexy Faramir

RakshaTheDemon
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lady_Niwella » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:39 am

Faramir fascinates me because of his complexity. An intellectual who at the same time take action.

The "I do not love the sword för it's sharpness" thing is what really interests me - and I guess because it is my own view on war and violence so I can really sympathize with the guy.

The way he sees through his brother and father but still holds love for them in his heart is also interesting. That's what love really is about, to see someone clearly with bad and good sides andlove them for exactly who they are.

And he is respectful towards women (I suppose it's not just Éowyn he treats with respect) - wich also hightens his appeal to me.

Faramir comes through like a modern man even if he has knowledge and love for and about oler times.

And of course he's like Raksha said; tall, dark and handsome.

I've always had this thing for tall, dark guys, wonder why? (I even ended up getting married to one, :)).
Lady_Niwella
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:41 am

When I first read LOTR I was in love with Pippin. :oops: Somewhere along the way I grew up and fell in love with Faramir. So why Faramir and not Aragorn? Well for starters, probably because in my shallow way, the early impression of the hobbits, from the "I look foul and feel fair" dialogue, stuck in my mind - he was obviously no Viggo Mortensen. But Faramir embodied the ideal man. (Apart from the grey eyes, but that's just personal taste.) He was kind and he had principles. He was a good soldier and a loyal servant of his country, even though he found war distasteful. He fought from necessity, not because he got some typically mannish pleasure from it. He treated women with respect, and was obviously in touch with his feminine side....you get the idea that he wouldn't have been averse to changing diapers and putting out the trash. He knew he didn't hold the same place in his father's heart that his brother did, but his love for them never wavered and he might have been sad about it, but never resentful. And he was a man you could trust.

All those qualities work so well in the book, and when I read the book I have no problem with them. But when I see the film I start to think that Bookamir lacked some emotion. It's strange, because I really don't get this feeling at all when I read the book, but in Filmamir you see a man who is far more emotional, more affected by rejection, and generally far more vulnerable, which has an appeal in itself for a lot of women. He's still kind and romantic, but you feel that he needs looking after too.

When I read the book, I love Bookamir. When I watch the film I love Filmamir. They are both good souls. Two Faramirs can't be a bad thing. :)
Last edited by PrincessOfIthilien on Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby sh_wulff » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:45 am

well Cress being one of those who really only sat up and took notice of BookFaz after seeing the film I'm not the right person to ask.. he came across as noble, but I could hardly sink my teeth into him in a manner of speaking, Film Faz became more real, more interesring and complex... although I did not agree with all the changes PJ made

as for the new addn.it's pink so the new auusie generation is even between pink and blue

sw0000n for both Faramirs

even though grey eyes just don't ring my bell :wink:
sh_wulff
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmatron » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:45 am

Yea! Amazon shipped my EE today! Should be here Wednesday.

ff2 Long time, no see! Aw geez...you see Boromir and you think of me? :angel:

My favorite characters in the good book are Sam and Faramir. What I liked about him was his nobility. I always thought that Faz must have been adopted, because he was so unlike his father and brother. I wish I could have learned more about his mother. {Don't bother to send me a list of books where I can learn more about her because I don't have time to read them}. But I didn't fall in love with him. The only literary character I have ever loved was The Black Stallion and I was 12.

But Filmamir...hubba! That's someone I could love!

Sw :) :) :) n for Faramir who I'd share some birthday cake with...
shieldmatron
Ranger of the North

Postby anuhealani » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:53 am

Welcome back, ff2!

Liselle...WELL???

PoI, :lol:...lovin' your Music Hour!

Raksha, congratulations on your new A/V toy! I hope you enjoy it. As for the giftset, I'm hearing mixed reactions about it. One complaint I've heard is that it's not really the White City at all--it's too grey! A niggling complaint, maybe...

That's a great question, Cressida. It's difficult to say what I find interesting about Faramir. He's very different from the type of characters I typically like--he's not arrogant, cursed, consumed by hatred, or even overly stubborn. :) I think one thing that makes Faramir interesting is the way he turned out despite the toxic family dynamic between him and Denethor. He is a remnant of Númenor but lacks that overbearing pridefulness so characteristic of the mighty kings.

Another thing I like is that he's an odd mix of romantic idealism and cool, calculating pragmatism. Emotional mastery is something I often struggle for, so I find it fascinating that a character combining both heart and mind works so darn well in Tolkien. You wouldn't think it would be realistic, because you rarely see the combination in real life--yet Faramir doesn't suffer from Lúthien Syndrome, I don't think. There's enough struggle and hardship in his life that I assume he's flawed and makes mistakes (admittedly a complete extrapolation on my part).

Then in TTT Faramir, there's just a whole lot of mystery. Like the others have said, mystery is always sexy. ;)

*waiting (im)patiently for the other Fazgûl to see the EE and sw :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ning for HOHamir...sigh*
anuhealani
Rider of the Mark

Postby shieldmaidenofrohan » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:57 am

Good point, anu. I forgot to mention that I think it's interesting that he turned out the way he did in spite of his place in one of the most dysfunctional families of the Third Age... (I have to phrase it that way, because Turin's definitely got him beat on that count. ;)) And I do love his "I do not love the sword for its sharpness" speech.

I get my EE tomorrow!!!! *happy dance*

SM- is it your birthday? Happy birthday! (And if it's not, have a great day!)

sw 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ning for EEamir!
shieldmaidenofrohan
Mariner

Postby Illiaris » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:15 am

anuhealani wrote:*waiting (im)patiently for the other Fazgûl to see the EE and sw :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ning for HOHamir...sigh*

well Anu, I have, but like you am waiting for every one to watch it too ! :| btw have you watched the Faramir scenes with the Z :shock: :shock: m function on ?
Illiaris
Shield Bearer

Postby shieldmatron » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:26 am

shieldmaidenofrohan wrote:
SM- is it your birthday? Happy birthday! (And if it's not, have a great day!)

*nods* Thank you! :)
shieldmatron
Ranger of the North

Postby whereismysam » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:38 am

Happy Birthday, SM!! :D:D:D

Cress, I'd answer your question, but everyone else is doing such a wonderful job with that, I won't say anything, because I'd be saying it all over again :)

FF2, good to see you!!

PoI, HDTOL!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

pFaz, PoI, and De_l, your sigs are killing me!! Last page had about 10 of them in a row... Gaa!!! *THUD*

Nim, Lalaith and Texas Hobbit, good to see you in here swooning for The Prince of Hearts :D:D:D:D

Alrighty ladies, I have a question for you too...I've been wanting to re-read Lord of the Swoons for quite some time now and do not know where I would be able to find it. Do any of you know where it might be kept? I'm sure it's somewhere, for it MUST be kept for posterity's sake :D:D Can anyone help me here? I'd appreciate it very much!! :D:D:D

Sw :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D ning for Faramir because in exactly 24 hours from now, SMOR and I will be at Borders picking up a copy of the EE!! Woohoo!!!

*Wimsie
whereismysam
Ranger of the North

Postby princessFaz » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:14 am

Hello all.

Guess I'm late in saying:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHIELDMATRON

Here is something pretty for you:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/ ... harpe1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/ ... z/2519.jpg

WIMS - There used to be a copy of Lord of the Swoons on Dessicated Coconut but we were asked to remove it, even though it was a GROUP effort...I do have a link to the first part of it on the thread...

FF2 - Nice to see you again!

Raksha - your list is hilarious.

Shwlff - oh how nice,a pink addition!!!

I met DW first as Faramir so it was going back to read the book and putting that out of my mind.

SWOOOOON for Faramir...
Last edited by princessFaz on Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
princessFaz
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:40 am

whereismysam wrote:pFaz, PoI, and De_l, your sigs are killing me!! Last page had about 10 of them in a row... Gaa!!! *THUD*

I know....they're quite a set aren't they. We may never be able to change our sigs again......

SM Happy Birthday!!

From me, Boromir :horse: and Faramir :horse:

About the EE Fazguls - there's one bit that made me cry out loud - you know the thing, sudden catch in the throat and a little whimper. For me now it will go down as one of my favourite parts of the trilogy and one of the most moving.

The Fazgul who guesses which bit, wins a dinner date with Faramir. (Runners up get a dinner with Denethor - chicken, cherry tomatoes....) Sorry lhaewin and anu, but you can't enter as I think I told you which bit it was.
Last edited by PrincessOfIthilien on Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Fandom Archives