The Chocolate Velveteen FRODO/ELIJAH Swooning Thread

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

The Chocolate Velveteen FRODO/ELIJAH Swooning Thread

Postby mechtild » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:15 am

"The Chocolate Velveteen FRODO/ELIJAH Swooning Thread:" Hope you all like it!

For "Theme Week," how about, only shots of Frodo in which he appears in the chocolate velveteen trousers of destiny?

I'm finally back from my trip to visit my mother and brother "Back East" in the Washington D.C. area. But I have come home to a house that needs tidying; my husband and daughter have shopped for absolutely nothing so the cupboards are bare, and one of our beloved younger cats has gone into a mysterious decline in the last week -- I fear cancer, actually -- ever the snatcher of our pets and family members; I will be taking him to the vet's in a moment.

I just want to say I missed you and look forward to some free time to catch up on the thread. Maybe tonight?

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:31 am

Hello Everyone!

Mechtild! Welcome back! I just started a new thread about a few seconds before you.

However, I'm happy to let yours go ahead (yours has a much more interesting title than mine)! I've asked for mine to be locked.

I'll post my "post" here!

dark_princes - You just need to go to the top of the index page and click on "New Topic" to start a new thread.

Elijah will be appearing at the ORC convention this weekend in Pasadena, California.

I also occasionally post at Kazad-Dum in the Faculty thread. Two of the members (HoneyElf and Alyon) will be going to ORC this weekend. Honey has made up a book with posters' contributions of letters, essays and artwork which she will present to Elijah. I sent my drawing "Reflection" and a picture of it in the book can be seen here (post 1020), along with one of Whiteling's amazing drawings (1021). Also see post 1013 which shows the outside cover and first page. I feel excited by the fact that he may see it! (There's no guarantee he'll even open the book, but we all live in hope!)

Maewyn :)

(Edited to remove "theme" message that was left over from my now-defunct thread! Sorry - it was very late last night when I was hopping between the three threads, trying to make sure everything made sense!)
Last edited by Maewyn on Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Re: The Chocolate Velveteen FRODO/ELIJAH Swooning Thread

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:23 pm

"The Chocolate Velveteen FRODO/ELIJAH Swooning Thread"?!?! NOW we're talkin' Meeeeee-YOW! :D

Welcome back, Mech! :hug: Have you seen all the new emoticons? How is the story coming? *bouncebounce* Mae thank you for the link. :) I haven't been to Kraft Dinner lately, that book looks beautiful! I was skimming on The Fuselage website for LOST and it looks like D. Monahagn (spell?) posted there a few days back, and asked if anyone was going to ORC. At that moment, I wanted to say "Yes!!!" :D But I just can't justify spending that kind of money when I'm in university, and working really hard for that, too! So I'll just enjoy the reports and (hopefully!) pictures from the lucky folks when they get back.

Well, it's off to my evening class - Dinosaurs! 8) Tonight there's a speaker from the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Alberta, I'm looking forward to it!

Lembas :)
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:02 pm

Yay, a new thread for us!! There were 3,661 views to the last one! :shock: I wonder if there are any other regular lurkers here, like I used to be.

mech, I'm sorry to hear about your cat being sick. I'm a cat person, and whenever one of mine gets sick, I get worried and anxious. I hope your cat is okay!

I wish I was able to go to ORC...it would be so amazing. Alas, there's transportation, meals, and hotel costs to consider, and money doesn't grow out of trees. I'm hoping that there will still be the same enthusiasm to organize and attend these things in the future, and until then I shall save up. :wink:

Sorry for my pathetic short posts, but I really should get back to studying...tests next week....

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby Maewyn » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:25 pm

Hello Everyone.

Mechtild - Chocolate velveteen! Yes! =:)

Sorry I didn't comment on your post last night - it was late (I got to bed at 11.45 pm and had to be up early for work this morning!)

I'm very sorry to hear about your cat. I hope the news from the Vet isn't too bad.

Once again welcome back. We missed you!

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:48 pm

:blush: <---- Me

You see, this is why they made these new emoticons; so that I, Lembas_Junkie, could use them to show my total embaressment of over-looking Mech's story about her cat!!! I am so sorry to hear that, my dear. While volunteering at different clinics, I see many animals in various stages of life / health. But no matter how many, I know that each one is so special, to me and to the people who bring them in. I see them as little buddies, not a new case. It's hard to explain, but animals are just like little fuzzy people, the condensed version, like. :D You know?
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Scarlet » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:50 pm

Hi everyone. :)

Maewyn! Thanks to the link to pix of the book - it's gorgeous! Can't wait to hear how the presentation goes.

My best wishes for your cat's health, Mechtild.

See y'all. :heart:
Scarlet
Ranger of the North

Postby Chickenlegs » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:03 pm

Hmmmm - Chocolate Velveteen Frodo? Sounds good enough to eat.

Mech I do hope your kitty-cat is ok! Keep us posted.

Maewyn Yes I'll definitely write back here after I've been to see the LOTR exhibition in Sydney. The tickets are only $20 and I used my Qantas Frequent Flyer points for the airfare. Just had to fork out for the accommodation. We fly to Sydney on 7 Feb, see the Exhbition on the 8th and fly home ont he 10th. So I'll be there and back again by end of the 2nd week in Feb. (OK I know I didn't need to add that last sentence but just wanted to say "there and back again!")

Oh by the way Wendylady you're making me swoon away with those gorgeous pics!!! :heart:

xxx
Chickenlegs
Citizen of Imladris

Postby mechtild » Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:21 pm

Theme of the Week: What is it to be, then? -- "Frodo greeting fans"? That would be a great one, Maewyn, I must say. But what says all of us? I had said, ones that show the chocolate velveteen trousers but, actually, those are very hard to find (and make for very little Frodo's in the sig pics), since almost all of Frodo's shots kept on galleries are medium-to-close head shots. Chocolate velveteen might do, but it couldn't be limited to ones that show the pants.

Here's a nice screencap that shows the Pants, but they're so dark, it's almost impossible to distinguish them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/ ... dbilbo.jpg

I did a quick browse of the past thread, but there is too much to comment on in the amount of time I have tonight. There were so many great pics and some interesting posts. (Wendy, I saved one of your black and white EW's.) To you all it seemed "slow," but reading almost two weeks worth in one stretch makes it look a lot longer.

Ereshkigal, special thanks for that latest post that told the release dates of EW's upcoming movies. Where did you get the tips on Sin City? Also, congratulations on finishing Ch. 20!!!!!!!!! I now know how hard a chapter can be! Every time I write another chapter of my own piece of quasi-literature, I say, "Wow! That was the hardest to write yet!" I have been puzzled by this, because I have had other writers tell me that the writing gets easier the farther into the story you go, but I have found the opposite to be true. My own current chapter 10 has a hurdle in it this time that I have been trying to leap now for a month (take note, Lembas and Maewyn). I finished the first half of it with solid work that was a pleasure, but this part has been TORTURE. It is no accident that it's the most challenging bit yet, in terms of content, for me. The characters have to go through a degree of intense self-realization beyond anything they've done so far, and then share that with each other. That these scenes should come off as forced, didactic or turgidly over-the-top would be anathema to me. I have re-written, tossed out, re-configured and re-claimed again the same paragraphs so many times I can't keep straight where I'm at with it -- except that where I'm at simply doesn't work for me. Will it ever be resolved, Eresh? As a newish writer, I am getting discouraged. Tell me it will get better, pleeeeeeze?

nienor, Maewyn, Lembas, Scarlet, Chickenlegs, thanks for the kitty-related pats on the back. But it looks very bad for our little Friedrich the cat. Probably from a quirk-of-fate congenital defect of his kidneys, this otherwise terribly healthy young cat has swiftly entered a state of severe renal failure. They hooked him up immediately to an IV to hydrate him, which he'll have for four days before they check his levels again, to see if there is any hope for him at all -- and then he still may stay on for another week. Then, if the kidney damage is arrested or ameliorated, we will talk about medical treatment at home, after that, if there is an "after that." We are not rich enough to do anything massive for him, nor do I believe in doing "anything possible," just because it can be done. I just want him to be as comfortable as possible if he isn't going to make it.

My daughter and I sobbed together this afternoon when I told her the news. "I'll give all my money I've been saving up, Mom, if it will help," she wept. What a great kid. I know it is silly to sob over a cat when there are so many people dead and injured in our wars and world-wide disasters, or when I think of people I know who have lost children to mystery illnesses, but I can't help it. He's such a darling little guy. When my daughter was imagining if we renamed our four cats after characters in Lord of the Rings, she was sure Friedrich should be the one named after Frodo, since he is beautiful, little, spunky -- and our best acrobat -- "the hero type," she said.

Here he is with all of our kitties. He's the one in the middle with his eyes shut: "Friedrich" is his name, though usually he is called plain, "Fwee."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/ ... 4-2002.jpg

~ Mechtild
Last edited by mechtild on Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Fair-folk » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:09 pm

Hi to all the Frodo ladies. It looks like I have missed out on a lot of good conversation. I had a very busy holiday, vacationing with my family on semester break. Now it is back to the grinding stone with a full load of classes.

Maewyn and Wendy, I enjoyed all the pictures you linked near the end of the thread just below this one. I never get enough of the wonderful Frodo and Elijah. :)

Zazinka, you asked AutumnElf the following:

I'm interested to know why you feel Elijah and Viggo seemed to have the hardest time "letting go" of the films--did you mean that they seemed very attached because they're such frequent speakers in the extras and documentaries? I wondered about that myself and thought it might have had something to do with their availability at the time all the features were being shot and edited. It did seem to me, though, that they both were very obviously fond of their characters, and more comfortable or articulate about expressing that fondness. Is that what you meant?

I am interested in hearing more from Autumnelf about that, too. You also said:
This upcoming event in Pasadena sounds great for the fans, but I hope the actors aren't being drawn into a lifetime of making the circuit for films that are over. I can't help thinking of Galaxy Quest every time I think about it.

I, too, hope this will not happen for any of the actors but most especially Elijah. Playing the role of Frodo was risky enough since that role was so distinctive and could make him identified with it for most audiences. It does seem that his part in Sin City, as some of you have described it, would help to counteract that stereotype, I guess. But I wonder if enough people will see it for that to happen? It doesn't seem like the kind of film that will be a main stream hit. I know I wouldn't go see it if it didn't have EW in it. I still may not see it because the subject matter doesn't sound like my sort of film. I'll have to wait until I learn more about it.

Before I go, Mechtild, I'm sorry about your little cat. I hope the problem can be fixed. I love animals so much and hate to see them suffer. :cry2:
Fair-folk
Citizen of Imladris

Postby laureanna » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:04 am

Mmmmm I swoon for chocolate!

You may have noticed my sig box, in which I mention Lucy (thedaimonlucifer) who is very ill. Actually, he's dying. :cry: I hope those of you who enjoyed posting with him here on TORC will drop him a line. I can't really say more here, without getting my knuckles rapped for non-fangirl spam, but you are welcome to email me.

Mmmmmm, I swooooon for a certain character in chocolate!
laureanna
Ranger of the North

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:54 am

Well, it's so lovely to see all of our Prodigal Friends back in here at last..

Several of you were speculating about the picture of Elijah with long hair that I posted in the last thread...yes, it is a manipulation, courtesy of the very talented Salogel, who is clearly a whizz at such things...

Also gacked from her LJ this morning is this absolutely FAB B&W pic from a recent photo-shoot...but one I'm not familiar with :_

Elijah in sunbeams

Mechtild
I'm so sorry to hear of your poorly cat...we lost one of our cats to a renal failure problem too...only his was due to bladder stones that caused all the stuff that your kidneys filter out, backing up in the system, and causing untold damage...
Poor little Remus ( brother of Romulus, who, thankfully, is still with us ) he didn't stand a chance really...
Our vet told us that this kind of problem is quite common in neutered tomcats, for some reason, and also that it can develope really fast and often with no warning, and due to the cat's own tendency to retreat somewhere quite and isolated when it is ill, often you don't see anything wrong until it's too late to treat... :cry:

Maewyn
I, too, am very impressed with Honey's lovely book...and I do hope that Our Lij will have more than a cursory glance at it...and I'm sure that he WILL be taking it home, and not throwing it in with the rest of the teddy-bears and stuff that he gets given by Fans at these conventions...this is clearly a labour of love...how can he NOT like it ?!!

Well, are you ready for a real treat... absolutely and completely off-topic, I'm afraid, but I just HAD to share this with you all...for the first time ever, I was actually rolling on the floor, laughing, for real...I had tears streaming down from this...

From the Seventies British Children's TV Show "Rainbow", I really don't know how they managed to get away with it...

The most suggestive children's TV script EVER !!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Zazinka » Fri Jan 14, 2005 6:22 am

Welcome back, Mechtild, and fingers crossed for your dear cat. What a great picture of the crew--I had forgotten they were Siamese. They can be a bit delicate, I believe. We had two when I was growing up and I realize in retrospect that all the cats I've had since then have been far sturdier. Though not, obviously, so beautiful.

Fair-folk, since that post of mine that you quoted I've read somewhere (I believe on another board) that Viggo was actually pretty good at quickly disassociating himself from the films. When they were done, he severed his emotional connection and moved on (according to this post I read somewhere) and that's why he didn't do any commentary. And, indeed, he's done very few film-connected appearances, if it's safe to assume that TORn is reporting most of the news. His name is almost never mentioned. Too bad for us, as he's always fascinating.

As for the hobbit boys and their Pasadena gig (can you believe I was just out there in October, making what might turn out to be a once-in-a-lifetime family visit? Why couldn't the convention have been THEN?! :x )--er, yes. About the boys--I still hope this doesn't become a regular event for them. But from their point of view, I wonder how hard it becomes, once you've tasted it, to keep away from all that mass of dependable, pent-up, can't-get-enough-of-you l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-v-e, up close and personal, even though it's probably over the top and more than half directed at the characters and not at you. Maybe they'll really like it, long-term. They're all so young and relatively impressionable, so unused to major adulation.

Well, just speculation. I hope Honey's book gets a look. We'll know soon. :wink:
Zazinka
Shield Bearer

Postby mechtild » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:14 am

Thanks again, all you cat-people sympathizers, for the hugs. (Hi, Fair-folk!) :grouphug: Maybe we'll find something out about Friedrich tomorrow. My sister-in-law said she kept an older kidney-failure cat of hers alive and happy an extra two-years doing the subcutaneous fluid injections (once a day), and that it wasn't expensive. So, who knows? Zazinka, I believe Siamese cats are a little more prone to some types of cancer but I didn't know they were generally more fragile. They just look like it. (Like film Frodo -- he looks a delicate thing, but Rubber Man is really pretty resilient. :twisted: )

Speaking of Rubber Man, I am getting really jealous of everyone going to ORC to meet the hobbit lads and esp. Mr. Wood. I want reports! If anyone reads any in other places (that means you -- Zazinka, Wendy, Maewyn and those of you who read about Elijah's doings in other sites), please notify us here. Thanks! :)

Wendy, I LOVED that "Elijah in Sunbeams" photo you just posted and saved it straight away. Thanks! And that children's show script you linked! Unbelievable! :rofl: I copied the link and sent it two five other people.

Laureanna, good luck rounding up support for the cause you mentioned in your post. You're a lovely person to do it.

Hey, Wilma! I meant to mention that my daughter taped the "Lost" episodes I missed when I was away (thanks for those reminders, though!) and we watched them the night I got back (two nights ago). I just LOVED Dom's episode when he got to sob at the end. Somehow I missed the one about Charlie and Clare. My daughter (who saw them all the first time around) said they did not re-run it for some reason -- not enough empty weeks to fill before they started the news ones, I guess. Whaaah!

Here's something I posted in The Harem at K-D, that I thought I'd post here -- flagging it for Ereshkigal since it touches on the topic of her great thread from Movies, "Peter Jackson Absolutely Ruined Frodo." (Those of you who read The Harem thread can skip this.)

While visiting my family in Virginia near D.C., I succeeded in doing something I had been trying to do for two years.....

On My Mother’s Response to watching LotR :

On this last visit to see my mother, she finally consented to watching the EE’s of the LotR. She has refused to watch these films all this time, on the grounds that there are too many “creepy parts,” based on when she has seen bits of the films on TV when changing channels (she means the violently scary images). But, I talked her into watching all three EE’s on this latest visit, at the rate of one two-hour disc per day. She is an 81-year old widow, an English war bride (WWII) -- quite chipper, but very arthritic. No position is comfortable for her after a couple of hours, so it would be counter-productive to make her try and sit through any of the films at full length.

Every time we watched a segment, she’d be in her “comfy chair,” mostly watching quietly but bursting out with occasional heated interjections, either expressions of exasperation or disbelief, or asking me for clarification. I’d put the DVD on pause and then try to answer her. Actually, I thought her protests and questions summed up much of what the, “What have they done to Frodo?” folks have been protesting about these films for years. She does not know Tolkien at all, but has a very detail-oriented mind and always notices any plot inconsistencies.

Note: She actually is predisposed to like the work of Elijah Wood. She in no way expected NOT to like his character in the films. One of her favourite suspense/mysteries (her favourite genre) is The Good Son. Way back before I ever had heard of Elijah Wood, she was telling me how great the kid was who played “the good son.” She also liked him in Paradise, which she also saw on TV earlier this year.

She said:

“What a bunch that Fellowship is! I never saw such a lot of incompetents! How they don’t lose that Ring altogether, I don’t know. And just look at that Freedo! [sic] – he just can’t keep that thing in his pocket, can he? Why did they ever pick him? He’s always bungling the job. Why, any one of the other characters would have done better.”

“I love that Gollum; he’s so funny and cute! I’m sure he’ll come through in the end – he’s got a lot of pluck!”

“You say, Bilbo had the Ring for more than fifty years. And Gollum had it for hundreds. This Freedo," [“FRODO, Mom…” "Frodo? That's the silliest name; Freedo would have been better. But alright -- FRO-do."] " – This FRO-do, has only had it a few months. Why is he falling to pieces so quickly? What is wrong with him, that he is so weak and frail? You don’t see this Gollum fellow falling down and fainting every other minute. [At the end of the films...] And why does Bilbo get so old so quickly? He’s practically at death’s door! Gollum didn’t seem to get any older at all after he went in the mountains-place, and that was hundreds of years before. I don’t understand at all!”

“Is that the same spider?”
[We are watching the scene in which Frodo is stumbling determinedly through the pass of CU, after Gollum has tumbled down the ravine, with the shot of Shelob silently re-entering the pass from its rocky wall. Shelob is shown hovering over Frodo, moving in for the kill.]
“That boy is such a DOPE! Surely he’d have figured out the spider would still be around and looking for him. Why isn’t he paying more attention?”
[No more comments until they get to Sam, having stabbed Shelob, holding the body of Frodo while he sobs.]
“It’s beyond me, that.”
[I am thinking she means the emotional power of the scene – finally my mother is affected!]
“Wouldn’t that spider-webbing he’s wrapped in be all sticky? But just look at that! Look -- it’s not sticky at all!”

“I really love that Sam! Now, he’s what I call loyal. He’s a person you’d want to back you up. He’s just my sort of character, not that other one, that Frodo fellow. He might have beautiful eyes, but those won't save him.*”

(* Truly, that is just what she said about his eyes. :lol: )

Isn’t that informative, though? Her response was not like my brother’s re: Frodo, though his was also negative. As I recounted in the TORC Frodo thread some months back, my brother watched all the films with me on a visit to my mother’s this last summer; he also has no knowledge of the books, but enjoyed the films quite a lot. After seeing them, when he had been tipped that his big sister [me] had a big crush on one of The Lord of the Rings characters, he kept grilling me on who it was. He went through his whole list, guessing Aragorn fist, which was pretty good, since Aragorn was “my guy” until RotK came out. Finally my brother had been through all the "possibles," but not mentioning Frodo once. Then it was hinted that “Mom’s big crush” was on, “the best sufferer.” My brother said at once, completely incredulous, “Not FRODO???????” He was truly shocked. “But he’s such a loser! He couldn’t even throw in the Ring!” So, you see, my brother’s complaint had nothing to do with all the stuff film detractors complain about -- how Frodo was made to look less valorous throughout the film -- but only with Frodo’s last act -- the one JRRT often was grilled by readers about: “How could Frodo be a hero if he failed in his quest?” -- i.e., casting the Ring into the fire. BUT my mother’s complaints, unlike my brother’s, were about Frodo throughout the film, which completely justified the protests of all the long line of Frodo-loving film detractors. Every time the film showed Frodo looking wimpy, shrinking or incompetent, my mother was right on it, pointing it out and wondering, "How can this character ever accomplish what he is supposed to do, if he's such a bungler from the get-go?" and "why ever did the rest of that lot let [Frodo] accept the mission in the first place????"

So, why do I mention this? Because it showed me more clearly than ever how I, a book person, simply haven’t been able to see the films from any other than a book-informed perspective. From the very first viewing, I have watched Frodo’s every scene -- noting when he didn’t live up to the book but -- unconsciously?-- “correcting” the scenes, to restore Frodo to his book level nevertheless. Even though the films showed the Frodo my mother and brother saw, when I see film Frodo, he is informed at all times -- albeit unconsciously -- by the Frodo I already know in the books.

Second note:

Having assumed my mother must have hated these films for their inconsistencies and their “bumbling” hero, after we finally reached the end of RotK's closing hour, I was surprised to hear her protest when I said, “Well, I guess you didn’t like the films much, did you?” She answered, sniffling, “Oh, no! I liked the movies -- though not at first. But in the end, I thought they were very good.” She readily admitted to crying during the last hour and she happily watched the last hour again later that night, when my brother came over with his wife, for his own re-viewing of RotK.

Isn’t that interesting? I suppose even logical people like my mother are willing to forgive what offends their intellect, if their emotional side is appealed to sufficiently.

P.S. She loved and adored the Extras, which we watched on subsequent days in bits and pieces – perhaps even more than the films themselves.

Third Note:

So what's the theme this week????

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Zazinka » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:44 am

And just look at that Freedo! [sic] – he just can’t keep that thing in his pocket, can he?

:rofl:

Sorry! I just couldn't help it.
Zazinka
Shield Bearer

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:20 am

Fair-folk wrote:This upcoming event in Pasadena sounds great for the fans, but I hope the actors aren't being drawn into a lifetime of making the circuit for films that are over. I can't help thinking of Galaxy Quest every time I think about it.

Never give up! Never surrender!! :drink: (I do not mean to minimize what you say, I completely understand - but I also love that movie! :D )

Laureanna, got it. :) Thank you, and you too, Mech. Those are beautiful kitties in a basket you have there, by the way - so sweet! :heart:

Wendy that's another great shot! :love: Would it be too much to ask to link the "hair" one in here too, for anyone who missed it? :hug:

Zazinka wrote:His name is almost never mentioned. Too bad for us, as he's always fascinating.

Oh, I hear you there! He really is the most interesting (actor) on the film, in my humblest Lembas opinion. My confession is that I also think that Gino guy is such a cutie! I cannot remember his last name right now, but he's one of the crew who got a cameo on the Black Ships. I saw that smile of his while he talked about it on the documentary and just thought how cheery and jolly and smiley he seems - just the kind of guy I like (although, as I always say, I love variety - The Spice of Life!! :D ) I just wanted to give him a big hug! 8) Then there's Viggo, whom I would simply love to share a bottle or two of wine on the beach at sunset with. Just once. =:)

Mech I have to stop posting and get to my next class, so I will have to wait and respond to your Mum's comments later, but I had a great laugh over this:

Mech's Dear Mum wrote:I really love that Sam! Now, he’s what I call loyal. He’s a person you’d want to back you up. He’s just my sort of character, not that other one, that Frodo fellow. He might have beautiful eyes, but those won't save him.

So funny! :) I just love watching LOTR with my non-fanatic friends! :angel:

See you guys later!
Lembas
:)
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:14 am

Hello Everyone.

Theme of the Week: What is it to be, then? -- "Frodo greeting fans"? That would be a great one, Maewyn, I must say. But what says all of us? I had said, ones that show the chocolate velveteen trousers but, actually, those are very hard to find (and make for very little Frodo's in the sig pics), since almost all of Frodo's shots kept on galleries are medium-to-close head shots. Chocolate velveteen might do, but it couldn't be limited to ones that show the pants.

Mechtild - Why not do both? :D

Will this do? Golden Frodo :wink:

I agree there aren't too many full-on shots of the chocolate velveteen, but when we run short, perhaps just "snippets" will suffice?

Mechtild - I'm really sorry to hear that your Friedrich is so ill. I know what it's like to have a loved cat on an IV. I hope he pulls through. Please don't apologise for loving him so much. I felt like I lost a member of my family when my "Cinda" died many years ago.

Wendy -
From the Seventies British Children's TV Show "Rainbow", I really don't know how they managed to get away with it...
:Q

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby AquilaChrysaetos » Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:44 pm

Hi everyone. Ooh, I like the title of the thread. :)

Mech - I'm sorry to hear about Friedrich. One of my cats died a few years ago, but there wasn't much we could do for him except make his last months comfortable. It did feel like losing a family member, so I agree with Maewyn, you shouldn't apologise for loving him so much. :grouphug:

I think your mother's response clearly shows how many book fans might feel about Frodo's character in the film; that all his heroism has been taken away. As a late comer to LotR I tend to view book and film seperately, but I know how it feels to have a favourite character from a book utterly destroyed when they've been transferred to film. I've heard that they're making a film of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Phillip Pullman at the moment. I've got my fingers crossed that the characters will remain as they are supposed to be, and not have aspects of their character stripped away due to a few people's interpretations.

I also just wanted to say, although I'm not as good a writer as many on here, that I always find it helpful when I am finding a particular scene a struggle or I've ended up with writers block, to just leave it for a while and come back to it. I quite often read other scenes of a similar genre or listen to music that I find particularly emotive, then it just seems to sort itself out in my head and flow properly. It's the frustration of it not being right that makes every revision jar and just detaching from it for a little lets you relax. At least it's chapter 10 you're stuck on, not chapter 3 like myself! :lol:
On the subject of writing, congrats on finishing chapter 20, Eresh, and roll on 21! :)

Maewyn - Thankyou for linking to K-D and that beautiful book. I know if I were recieving something like that I would be very touched, since a lot of thought has obviously gone into it. Let me know how it goes. :)

Fair-folk - I think your comments about becoming typecast are very valid, and I know the example is over used, but look at Mark Hamill and Star Wars. As a comic book fan I'm certainly no stranger to the name Sin City, although I've never read it being more into Japanese comics. I do know it has a cult following though, so it should attract a fair amount of people. Although it's not my sort of thing I'm really quite fascinated as to how it will turn out, and also to see Elijah Wood playing a villian. I do think though, going back to original point, that I wouldn't like Mr Wood to consistently chose roles which aren't like that of Frodo, simply for fear of becoming typecast, because he does portray the character exquistely (Peter Jackson aside). And lord knows, the world could do with a few more Frodos in mainstream film.

Wendy - I want to know where all these beautiful photographs are coming from! Although, I have to say, that the sunbeams upstaged Mr Wood for me in that picture. I can just imagine a story behind this picture; in an old dusty house with spring sunshine filtering through the window, and how this young man came to be there. Ahh, I'm a sucker for good photography. :)
Rainbow! I remember that! They used to show it on kiddies TV in the late 80's as well I think. I showed it to my dad when he came in tonight, and that just made it funnier for me because he used to read Rainbow to me when I was little. They always have that clip on things like Denis Norton's Laughter File or TV's Naughtiest Blunders etc. I wonder if we still have our Bungle and Zippy plushies? :twisted:

Zazinka - I raise my eyebrows at you! Would that be a corndog then? ;)

Hmm, I appear to have rambled on for long enough. I'm just happy to have the time to post on here again! :) And there is not enough swooning going on in here!
Swoooooon for Frodo, cowardice and all, because we love him anyway. :)
Well, night all.
Aqi :zzz:
AquilaChrysaetos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby mechtild » Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:19 pm

Zazinka, wicked minx, trust you to pick that gem out of the post. I forgot that we've known on this thread what's in Frodo's pocket since late spring: an action figure. *snerk* :twisted:

Lembas, you are thinking of head make-up artist and chief of prosthetics, Gino Acevedo. He was very good in that interview, no?

Maewyn, I, too, saved the "Golden Frodo" shot you linked. :P Should I use it for my sig pic? It's not very well-focussed but very beautiful. Perhaps I shall. I remember you telling about losing your cat Cinda, by the way. You really loved her. Well, perhaps I shall hear something about our little lad tomorrow.

Aquila, thanks for the support. Your writing advice was said to me by other writers, too. I am always fearful, though, that if I don't keep at it every day, I'll "lose it."

As for my mother's response to Frodo in the films, I think she is representative of many non-book viewers, but not all of them by any means. Look at Maewyn -- she loved and admired film Frodo right away although she had never read the books. Maewyn, tell me what you think of this idea: I think that how film Frodo is judged by book virgins depends on their personal preferences, their way of valuing people, before ever seeing the films.

My mother values things and people for their aesthetic beauty or their nobility of character, but far more for their utility. She most admires a can-do person -- in real life and in fiction. All the people she loves but also praises are capable of giving good service, so to speak. Movie Frodo really does have a lot of very admirable qualities apart from his looks. But few of them seem "practical." That is, he doesn't seem to make himself very useful, no matter what he does or doesn't do with the Ring. He has beauty of person and of soul; a fineness of mind; as well as sincere and acute feelings. But can he fix a toilet? Probably not. Very sensible people like my mother probably cannot help but feel that film Frodo might mean well, but he's just not very capable. He simply would not be up to protecting her from an attacker, for instance -- nor could she trust him to be able to tell if the lawnmower guy was ripping her off. Such practical people tend to look at film Frodo and say, "he's pretty; he's noble -- but what good is he?" They can see that he's "good," but what good is his goodness -- for them? What do they get out of it?

I think my mother actually did care for Frodo in the end; maybe she even loved him. But she... didn't value him. Do you know what I mean? I think her love for him had an element of pity or condescension in it -- because he's such a poor, hapless little guy in her eyes in terms of his utility. She just didn't respect him the way she respected the other characters. Because however gifted he was, they weren't the gifts that are most important to her.

Think of Elijah's role as the little boy in The Good Son, the film my mother liked him in so well. He's beautiful looking, he's noble, his emotionality is intense -- so is film Frodo. He's plucky, intelligent and brave in the face of being afraid. So is film Frodo. But he's also able, resourceful and effective in what he attempts to do. He's the kid you want out there trying to save you, if a kid it must be. In Frodo, my mother can see all those good qualities -- but unlike the kid in The Good Son, LotR Frodo does not appear to able to make practical use of those qualities. Or not good enough use to impress my dear old Mum. :lol:

That's just my made-up my theory. :D

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:01 am

Hello Everyone.

Before I forget - Wilma's reached 1000 posts! If you want to add your congratulations - click here!

Mechtild - Your mother certainly has some strong opinions and is obviously still sharp as a tack - and good for her!

I agree that a person's opinions of people (or characters) no doubt colour the perceptions of that person or character's "usefulness" in the world. Everyone has a different point of view due to their upbringing, life experiences and their very nature.

I'm basically a quiet, passive person who's usually happy to go along with the crowd. I don't find it easy to voice my opinion (it's taken me hours to get this typed up!). I occasionally step out of this mould, get burnt, and retreat back into my shell. I'm often willing to accept what I see without going too deep. It's probably a failing, but its me! So I suppose I accepted LOTR initially simply as entertainment and enjoyed it for the spectacle. Subsequent viewings took me deeper into the story (and a greater appreciation of Frodo!). I read the book and that helped me to understand the finer details not covered in the movie.

I admire Frodo's quiet determination to just get the job done. Nothing else is important. He doesn't need to be an expert swordsman or tactician. He's got a job to do (take the ring to Mordor), and by hook or by crook he's going to do that, no matter what hardships he has to endure. That is his purpose. (Yes, I also agree that he was portrayed as somewhat weak, ineffectual and unable to take care of himself more often than was comfortable.) But he still continued on, despite all of that!

I can sympathise with Frodo. I endured an awful job for 15 months. I was stressed to my limits, but I was determined that I would continue to work to the best of my ability. I turned up to work every day with knots in my stomach, and I tried to disassociate - put up a barrier between them and me just to be able to carry on. I applied for other jobs and was unsuccessful, but I didn't leave, because my income was necessary to pay the bills. Like it or not, I had to carry on.

Eventually, (unlike the heroic Frodo) I was pushed past my limit and seeing no other alternative, I resigned and walked out of that office a very happy person. I was free! But I had no job...! Six weeks later I started the job I have now and love it! (That was a year ago next Wednesday!)

Gosh, I hope that made sense! If it didn't, please disregard my ramblings!

A couple of Elijah's public appearances :)

Say Cheese!

King Elijah

Must go to bed! It's 2.00 am!

In 2 1/2 hours a little silver-grey book will be (hopefully) handed to Elijah! SWOOOOOON!

If anyone wonders why I haven't changed my sig pic recently it's because my complimentary PM officially expired on 11th January. I think if I try to set up a new one "they" will suddenly realise the PM has expired and it'll disappear! (Besides, I like the one I've got anyway!)
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:50 pm

Maewyn, that was a very thoughtful and honest post. :hug: And the story you related to compare to Frodo's story, of enduring your job and then letting go of it was a strong one.

I admire Frodo's quiet determination to just get the job done. Nothing else is important. He doesn't need to be an expert swordsman or tactician. He's got a job to do (take the ring to Mordor), and by hook or by crook he's going to do that, no matter what hardships he has to endure. That is his purpose. (Yes, I also agree that he was portrayed as somewhat weak, ineffectual and unable to take care of himself more often than was comfortable.) But he still continued on, despite all of that!

I think the things you saw in film Frodo even before you read the books constitute the core of the powerful emotional appeal he has for many of us. Yes, his fans can see he's made to look far less capable and steely-willed than his book self, but its his fidelity to the Quest in the face of suffering that really grabs most of us at an emotional level that I still only partly understand. That profound appeal he has for the empathetic heart (perhaps a trait that unites Frodo fans?) goes beyond admiration for his virtues and passes into the realm of love. So, film Frodo is in fact beloved for "what he does well" -- but what he does well is managing to go on in spite of extreme suffering. Even when the films greatly diminished book Frodo's heroic attributes, that core of sacrificial suffering is still there. In the films, far more than the books, Frodo's suffering is shown vividly. It is as if we viewers get to see Frodo as Sauron is able to -- as if Frodo were, "naked in the dark, with no veil between him and" -- and whom? Not between him and Sauron, but between him and viewer. The critical difference, of course, is that Sauron looked at Frodo with his soul on view with evil malice -- but the appreciative viewer looks at him thus bared only with love.

As for "theme week," I forgot we were doing, "Elijah greeting fans" after all. In that case, here is a photo of him I really love. The person with him might be a fan, but she might be his date, too. Lucky her, anyway! He looks delicious. This photo has inspired some pleasant fantasizing, I must confess -- just imagining what it might feel like to be her at that moment, in that juxtaposition. :twisted:

Elijah and fan or date or both

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Wilma » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:29 pm

I don't have much time to swoon right now (got some Silmarillion book reading to do right now)

Mech I'm so sorry about your cat, I hope there is something the vet can do. Cats (and pets in general) are like people just with fur. Your cats in that picture look lovely BTW.

*coughMechcheckmybuddiescough*

I think this is my first swooooooon in this thread.

Swooooooooooooooooooooooooon for Frodo (Freedo :rofl: )
Wilma
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:33 pm

Goodness...I began typing this post last night and was well through it when my computer shut down. I couldn’t believe it! It was too late to begin it again, so here’s my second try.

Mech, your beautiful cat picture reminded me of my own beloved siamese, who died of renal failure after being with me for eight years. I hope this is not young Friedrich’s fate! I had my cat since I was four years old, so I basically grew up with her and it was so hard to see her go. But she left me with great memories, and in the end the best we can do is care for our pets as far as our means allow, and love them.

Thanks for typing up your mother’s reactions to the films, it was a fun read. It reminded me of when I convinced my own grandmother to watch FOTR...as far as I could tell she was enjoying it, but then at about 3 hours and counting she turned to me and said, “Well, does Fred ever get to that mountain they keep talking about or what?” I weakly replied that by the end of TT they weren’t even there yet. :P

I always find other people’s reactions to the characters (in this case, Frodo) interesting, because everyone sees them in their own light. It does sadden me, though, to hear when some call Frodo a ‘loser’, or dismissing him as incapable of pulling through. Some say that Sam would’ve been their first choice for carrying the burden, or that he was much more deserving of the honor that was bestowed upon them, and I'm am left trying to explain something that I never entirely succeed to express. I’m going to quote bits of Tolkien’s Letters, excerpts of it that I found interesting concerning these matters:

“....The Quest was bound to fail as a piece of world-plan, and also was bound to end in disaster as the story of humble Frodo’s development to the ‘noble’, his sanctification. Fail it would and did as far as Frodo considered alone was concerned. He ‘apostatized’ – and I have had one savage letter, crying out that he should have been executed as a traitor, not honoured.”

Over-emphasized by the films writers, Frodo and Sam’s journey was first and foremost the most important part of the story to tell. But there is precious (no pun intended!) little footage of them throughout the films, and when there is, it is Sam’s spotlight to lose. It is clear that Jackson’s ‘hero’ was indeed the loyal Sam, and even Tolkien regarded him as the ‘true’ hobbit.

“...Certainly Sam is the most closely drawn character, the successor to Bilbo of the first book, the genuine hobbit. Frodo is not so interesting, because he has to be highminded, and has (as it were) a vocation. The book will probably end up with Sam. Frodo will naturally become too ennobled and rarefied by the achievment of the great Quest, and will pass West with all the great figures; but Sam will settle down to the Shire and the gardens and inns.”

As much as I love Sam, he has never moved me to the extent that Frodo has, books and films alike. Frodo refuses to fight unless it is the absolute last resort, he is soft-spoken, he is gentile, and for that perhaps overshadowed by the sheer scale of the journey. Elijah’s Frodo is a fragile one, but not wholly breakable. When he grasps the Ring at the Council and says that he will take it, his voice is drowned out by the others arguing. So he says it louder. When he escapes Boromir, and later asked by Faramir if he was his friend, he replies quietly, “Yes. For my part.” When he is on the ground, crawling up Mount Doom and exhausted beyond his means, he gets a little bit farther. There are such subtle displays of his strength, undermined by the grandeur of victory at battle, or bravery and loyatly displayed to its core.

“...Frodo undertook his quest out of love – to save the world he knew from disaster at his own expense, if he could; and also in complete humility, acknowledging that he was wholly inadequate to the task. His real contract was only to do what he could, to try to find a way, and to go as far on the road as his strength of mind and body allowed. He did that.”

Anyone would have failed, and he knew that. In ROTK (the book), he states several times that he has no hope left, if he ever had any to begin with. He never expected to even get into Mordor. In a way, while seeing the films, I can understand why people might think of him as ‘weak’. His toil could be mistaked for being a ‘victim’, his suffering as weakness, and his inability to destroy the Ring as proof that he shouldn’t have been the one for the task. And though he was unable to destroy the Ring by free will, he undertook the task by it.

“...He appears at first to have no sense of guilt; he was restored to sanity and peace. But then he thought that he had given his life in sacrifice: he expected to die very soon. But he did not, and one can observe the disquiet growing in him.

When film Frodo is sitting on the rock with Sam while the lava surrounds them, his lines and actions seem to be a mixture of relief, of finality, and peace. While his only thoughts are of the Quest finally being over, I am reminded of everything he went through to get to that moment. His stumbles throughout the journey, and his flaws, only make him so much more real to me. In the end, he did give his life in sacrifice, in hopes for a better, though never perfect world to follow. He leaves Sam and the others behind, for them to live the lives that every common person (hobbit) deserves.

“...I think it is clear on reflection to an attentive reader that when his dark times came upon him and he was conscious of being ‘wounded by knife sting and tooth and long burden’, it was not only nightmare memories of past horrors that afflicted him, but also unreasoning self-reproach: he saw himself and all that he had done as a broken failure.”

The dramatic part of me is intrigued by that fact, by Frodo’s own guilt and restlessness. It seems to reflect the hardships that there will always be in life, living with them and getting by. I know that some people will never understand why Frodo means so much to me, but that’s ok. Where I’m trying to get to with all of this, is that those are the reasons I see Frodo in my own light – the detractors in the films can’t take that away.

Wow. My post is far too long now. I hope I was coherent enough in explaining it all.

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby Ereshkigal » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:13 pm

Mech I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. I have one that is quite ill now--she is her 90s in cat years--and it is sad thing to go through. Her brother died about a year and a half ago. She is just old, and keeps getting thinner (we teasingly call her Gollum at times) and wheezes, and, quite frankly, is getting rather crotchety. She hit me on the nose the other day when I wouldn't pat her and has decided she will only eat people food now and has gotten rather insistant that we share with her, even to the point of asserting her right to my food completely (but she still can manage only a few bites). She isn't in pain right now, and is not as lethargic as her brother when he was close to passing, but she is failing. I'll miss her, as I do her brother (the only man in my life who was actually helpful).

I love your mother's comments (the pocket comment was quite delightful!), but it does underscore what I still feel is a problem with Jackson's films--many of my friends and in fact, most of the people I know, don't like Frodo as a character. They think he's weak, and my sister in particular never forgave him for sending Sam away. Sam is the hero, in their eyes, and he accomplishes the quest despite Frodo's weakness, as they see it. My friend Pam, who is from Ireland, refers to Frodo as that "puffter in the lingerie" --"lingerie" being her term for the mithril vest. (BTW--I'm not sure that's the correct spelling of "puffter"). I don't think Wood is at fault, but I do fault Jackson. There are still parts I love about the movies, but most of these instances have to do with visual effects and costuming and such. Very little has to do with characterization, especially Frodo's character.

I sent in a letter with Honeyelf's book explaining to Wood why I liked the books so much and why I was grateful for his performance--because he so captivated my youngest daughter that I was able to read the books to them. I don't believe I would have been able to do so without the movies, so I do value the movies as a "commercial" for the books. And that look of despair he gives as he dangles from Mt Doom (another scene I don't like, bTW, too reminiscent of the Good Son) is worth the whole performance--it's just heartbreaking.

Also, I'm glad to hear you are writing. I find that each chapter has its own process, and is hard to predict. Chapters I think I have planned out beautifully become problematic, and chapters I think will be just transition pieces actually come to life all on their own. Don't get discouraged. Chapter 21 is going quite well for me, but I re-wrote Chapter 20 three times. And this is all still just a rough draft. A writer never finishes revising--the deadline simply forces her to stop (and in Jackson's case, it sounds like the deadline is the only way he stops revising as well).

Wendy--you naughty, naughty lady! Heeheehee. :nono:

Ahem--BTW, everyone. You can see that velveteen in my pic, and I'm loath to change it--he looks absolutely lovely here.

Edited because I suddenly can't edit.
Last edited by Ereshkigal on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

The eagle has landed

Postby Zazinka » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:17 pm

nienor*lalaith, that was a lovely post. I share many of your sentiments.

Just to let anyone know who's interested, I had a phone call from K-D's Honey a little bit ago, and she HAS given Elijah the book. I posted a little report of the encounter on her behalf (as "Flourish") in the Faculty thread. :)
Last edited by Zazinka on Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zazinka
Shield Bearer

Postby laureanna » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:18 pm

n*l - that was lovely, and does a good job of voicing my thoughts on Frodo the character. I don't swoon for Elijah the cute young man, but I definitely swoon for Frodo the Forbearing. (Though, alas, not forebearing ;))
laureanna
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:09 pm

nienor*lalaith, that was beautifully prepared and the thoughts worth reading. Thanks for providing the quotes from Letters to go with your comments. And you included humour, too! I loved this quote from your grandmother:
“Well, does Fred ever get to that mountain they keep talking about or what?” I weakly replied that by the end of TT they weren’t even there yet.

LOL!

I wanted to say something to this, too. You said,

When film Frodo is sitting on the rock with Sam while the lava surrounds them, his lines and actions seem to be a mixture of relief, of finality, and peace. While his only thoughts are of the Quest finally being over, I am reminded of everything he went through to get to that moment. (....)

On the actor's commentary, Elijah and Sean are talking about the scenes as they are played. When they get to this scene, Elijah actually notes something I myself had thought. He talks about how once the Ring is gone, Frodo is able to resume his role as leader in their relationship once more, as protector of Sam [instead of the other way around]. It is this that allows Sam the luxury of breaking down himself to weep over the loss of his future ("If ever I were to marry someone, it would have been her..."). Elijah also tells Sean he thinks the scene parallelled their own off-screen relationship as “brothers” and “friends.” Shucks, isn't he cute? I really appreciated hearing him say these things.

I checked The Faculty to see the post Zazinka wrote about the ORC meeting (she's "Flourish" there) -- it looks as though Elijah took the book from HoneyElf as planned and even flipped through a few pages of it in her presence. Hot dog! I've been looking for pictures from the event on TORN's news page, too.

Back to Frodo, here's what Elijah said in the commentary about Frodo's worth as a character. I think what he says sounds as though he understood book Frodo better than the writers, even though he hadn't finished the book. He said,

“Frodo is the hero, in spite of not throwing in the Ring, because of his humanity – for keeping Gollum alive when could have killed him earlier, when he had ample opportunity… which made sure Gollum was alive to be able to take the Ring…”

This showed another facet of the book dynamic that was played down in the films throughout: the role of mercy in the story.

Ereshkigal, thanks for that writerly advice. I have been taking a day off from it. I hear your complaints about Frodo and as you can tell, I agree with the criticisms. I hold Fran, Peter and Philippa accountable (like they care :roll: ), although on the whole, I thought the films are astounding and I adore them. I do think Frodo got the short end of the stick, though. Yet, I do love film Frodo, and I think that I still do has mostly to do with the sorts of things Maewyn and nienor said: even without his heroic virtues, he's still a model of "keeping on no matter what" for ordinary people in the course of their difficult lives. Not to mention he's gorgeous and I wants him. When I think of him I don't fret about the cat.

The cat! I should say to you and the others who have been interested, that although Friedrich is still receiving IV hydration, the vet says she sees enough improvement to think he still has some kidney function. Tuesday he'll have an ultra-sound to see if they are enough to keep him going without an IV, then they can start weaning him off it. His littermate, Angelo, has been crying his eyes out around here without him. The older cats don't miss him particularly.

Wilma, I checked the Buddies thing. For some reason, they didn't send a notification to look in it, so of course I never noticed. By the way, CONGRATULATIONS ON ONE THOUSAND POSTS!!!!!!!

laureanna, I noticed the message in your sig box about Lucy -- I hope he gets some good support while he is feeling so ill.

-- Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Wilma » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:05 pm

Hello people. I haven't had time to get hrough many of the posts, but I have seen that rainbow clip before and I think it was an in-house thing. As in it go to public broadcast. A bit of a release after talking to kids all day.

About conventions, I have never seen Galaxy Quest, but I guess they show everyone obsessed? I am a fan of conventions I wll say there are some types like that, but they are few and far between. Most people are normal, and not extreme gushing fan people. The fangirls you see in crowds at MTV or movie premieres are not the type of people you will see at conventions. I know at least with the Farscape actors it's not a matter of money, it's that they enjoy meeting and hanging out with fans. (Keep in mind Farscape fans are generally reasonable people although we singlehandedly got the mini series made). They genuinely seem to like us as people. With LOTR fans it could be a bit different, but I personally hope the actors do make themselves a bit more accesible to fans. I'm quite jealous that can't go to the ORC event, but I also have an aversion to the company that TORn hired, Creation. It's only about money for them. They can't do cons in Canada since the last time they ran out the country without paying taxes.

Edit to fix spelling.
Wilma
Ranger of the North

Postby Zazinka » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:25 am

Wilma, in the comedy "Galaxy Quest," which owed not a little to the "Star Trek"-in-syndication phenomenon, the has-been stars of a short-lived sci-fi TV show, defunct for many years, are trapped in their past roles and spend their lives going to conventions, signing autographs, and reliving the glory days for costumed fans who have memorized the layout of the space ship's engine room tunnels and the geneology and languages of alien civilizations and want to buttonhole them all the time to talk about it. The stars (which include Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, and Alan Rickman) are mostly miserable but have to play along or starve, until one day at a supermarket opening real aliens arrive and----well, you'll have to rent it from there. :wink:

I know it's kind of cynical (heretical, even) to mention it in the same breath with LOTR, and I don't mean to be negative. It's just that the convention in Pasadena struck me particularly--isn't it the first one devoted exclusively to LOTR (and not associated with the Oscars, or a trilogy showing, or with other sci-fi/fantasy franchises)? I heard about some of the events and contests, and the price scale for autographs and photo ops (something like $60-$75 as I recall). I can see that LOTR is already entrenched as a merchandising franchise in its own right. I know about the devoted fan base of course (I'm part of it, after all :lol: ). And I know how important it is for all the actors, especially the younger ones, to move on and to do it quickly and successfully.

I'm just being a worrywart, I guess, and hoping the fans will let them, and not clamor to do this year in and year out. :shock:

On the other hand, as I also said, maybe it's a genuine thrill to have so many personal contacts with people who love you unconditionally and the actors really like it.

What do I know? I haven't even eaten breakfast yet. :P

Edited for typos--I knew I should have eaten first. :roll:
Zazinka
Shield Bearer

Postby Maewyn » Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:44 am

Hello Everyone.

If anyone wants to read Flourish's post regarding Honey' encounter with Elijah, click here (Post 1067).

I'm thrilled that Elijah has received the book! I still can't quite believe that if he looks through it he'll see my drawing! :woah: (Sorry! I can't help it!) :happydance:

I certainly hope he will be able to take the time to read all the contributions, as a lot of time and effort has gone into the book by several people.

Another K-D member (Hobmom) has posted some pictures from ORC on her website! Click here to access the site! He's with Sean in some pics (I didn't recognise Sean at first!)

Mechtild - Did you still want to share the sig pic theme? There are still a few pics around with those luscious chocolate velveteen pants if you look carefully! (Like this one!) Just a glimpse!

So- I'm off to bed for a reasonably early night! :zzz:

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Next

Return to Fandom Archives