The Chocolate Velveteen FRODO/ELIJAH Swooning Thread

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:51 am

Woah! :shock: That's quite the trailer! Did you see the very last shot before the title comes accross the end? There's a swing, a punch, and a large splash of blood just goes flying - they must've taken a page outta Bakshi's Book of Blood 'n Gore Helm's Deep Gandalf! :D Thanks for the link, Mech.

Wendy those were great shots of EW. He's one of those self-portrait guys, it looks like. :) I know it was wrong to snoop, but I really love the picture of EW and the goatie! 8) I volunteered at a goat farm (dairy) for a week last year, in prep for vet school; I was absolutely charmed by them, they are so intellegent and fun! And the babies are nothing short of the most cutest baby animals you've ever seen! I also liked the shot of him in what looks like a hotel room - the windows outside show that it is twighlight, my most favorite time of day. :) And the puddle one was kewl.

I took a picture once of my best friend and I peering in a window at a friend's place, it goes like this: we are looking into the house through a window, in the parlour on the opposite wall there is a mirror. I focused and took a picture of our reflections in that mirror, but from outdoors, so you can also see our reflections in the window we are standing in front of. It's a great shot, I'll have to see if I can't get it scanned somehow, I'd love to post it here for you guys to see. :)

Speaking of which, Dark Princes I'd love to see your shots as well! :) I have just recently discovered the joys of horses and where before I found them a mystery, now they are a wonder!

It's still pretty snowy (although many Canadians are in denaial about that :) )

Well, this is one Canadian who's not going to deny it! :D I can't wait for the snow to clear up so I have more room to bicycle again! Well, it doesn't stop me now, and I mostly take the scenic route anyhow; I just have to be extra careful is all.

Hmm, I can't leave without posting a Frodo pic, it seems. =:) So , let's see. I'll just mosey over to my Photobucket and grab something...ah yes, here we are!

Bilbo's Last Song and Great Frodo Drawing!

Lembas :)
Last edited by Lembas_Junkie on Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Wilma » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:19 pm

Lembas that pic makes me feel sad for some reason. Maybe it's the wording. I also noticed that last shot before the trailer. I wonder who came up with that idea. Oh Lembas Junkie I did not know you were Canadaian. :clap: All while I was growing up they called it March break. Then in the past few years I've noticed some people calling it Spring break which bothers me since sometimes you can go tobagganing (sledding) during March Break. It ain't spring where I live. :nono:

Anyway I just had to come on since I just came from Yoga class and guess what pose we did. Downward dog. I'm so not kidding. I've discovered there is an upward dog too. (There's also the transitional pose of 'the plank', but I've discovered I'm not the greatest at transitions :blush: )

Mech you are so funny. Later (in the week) I'll post a link to those shipper shots. I'm sure there a re some creative people who can do a switcherwoo. I can imagine it in my head already :rofl:
Wilma
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:15 pm

mech, thanks for posting the short Hooligans teaser!! That last shot made me say "Whoa..." out loud. The music is a little overpowering and every scene it shows is a fight scene, but I guess that's why the movie is titled Hooligans, right? :P That last shot with the flying blood is so gross, it's kind of cool. Ok, that makes no sense... :P

Wilma wrote:Anyway those 2 characters are actually sisters and Lalaith gets a very minor mention, they are from the House of Hurin. NL I've always wanted to ask do you have a thing for Turin? One of those Turin voters for man of the month?

Lalaith is Morwen's first daughter, but she dies at a very young age. Nienor is born afterwards, and Turin is then separated from both his sister and mother, and then....well, you know the story. :wink: I have always been rather intrigued by Turin...he has such a good heart, but fate gives him such a hard deal. If there were pictures of him, we could have 'Turin Angst Week' last forever. :P

The 'Downward facing Frodo' interview clip was cute. I seriously went nuts downloading clips of stuff, because none of those shows/interviews are available to me here on actual television (like Lost, until recently!!! I can't wait!!!), or else I get it 5 months late, like his SNL hosting show.

I agree with you Wilma, the portrait of Frodo from the end credits always makes me sad. He looks so broken.

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby Ereshkigal » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:21 pm

Hobmom has already screencapped some of those shots from the teaser Hooligans trailer, and it looks like the deliverer of the great blood spurting blow in the final shot is Our Lad. Frodo is mad as hell and not going to take it any more! :twisted:

I'm hoping the ad is trying to lure in the audience that sort of likes hooliganism in order to teach them not to do such a naughty thing. Right now, the movie just looks like one bit "whupping," as we say down south. We usually preface that with the name of the animal you ride into town on a religious feast day. (I'm sure Tex will get what I mean; I'm not sure anyone else will).

If you haven't downloaded the "Downward Facing Frodo" clip yet, do. It's cute. Elijah really plays right along with the idea of the name "Frodo" being a release. I would love to know who that is sitting off camera that he makes the face to and who he accuses of missing his actual "downward facing Frodo" demonstration.

Don't worry, Mech. Even with one leg over his head, he still looks cute. Isn't that supposed to be how he chews his toenails?

What's the great blues song say? "I don't want a man to rock me/ like my back ain't got no bone/ I want a man to rock me/ like my backbone is his own." Sounds like being limber is a good thing to me.

I've had a couple of good writing days. I'm up to page 19 in chapter 22 (my chapters range anywhere from 30 to 50 pages generally). Funny how the scene with the character I based physically off of Our Lad in which he wakes up naked in the bed just leapt from my fingers. Easy writing, that.

Mech would know. (tee hee)
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby dark_princes » Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:09 am

I have send the picture's to metchild so I hope that she can plase them on the internet for me Lembas_Junkie.
But she told me that she was going on a holiday so i think that whe have to wait fore them.
dark_princes
Shield Bearer

Postby Maewyn » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:02 am

Hello Everyone.

I'm feeling rather :happydance: :clap: :horse: at the moment. Today I discovered that my first drawing, "Reflection" is on the front page of TORC, as the featured artwork! Woo Hoo!

Oh, and if you look below, you'll notice that my PM has been renewed as well. Thank you to my kind and generous benefactor!

What a day! Ahem...

So... I watched the Hooligans trailer. :shock: I'm not sure if that's really my type of movie. :| We'll see.

Loved the Downward Facing Frodo clip! In my yoga class that pose is referred to as the cat (??) If I tried putting my leg where Elijah put his, I'd be in serious trouble!

Mechtild - Have a wonderful, relaxing holiday! I'm sure your muse could do with a break as well... I can just see him there, relaxing under a palm tree by the beach, cool frosted glass in hand... looking rather cool with his 8) on... :D

Maewyn :)
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:16 am

Yo! Dear dark_princes, I leave this afternoon, so I can still check in for a few hours. On the previous page of the thread I wrote you a note:

Alas, Dark_princes, I opened up your attachment and there was a page with a typed introduction, and under that sentence appeared a series of small pictures, but all broken up into bands.

Could you try sending each image as a separate attachment? Perhaps that will work better.

I am afraid I cannot use what you sent me. It just doesn't open properly. As I said, perhaps if you sent the photos as attachments, not pasted within the body of the email, it might work better for me.

:)

Maewyn has got a sig pic!!!! Edited to add: I see we simul-posted. I must go and see your "Reflections" in the Gallery!

I LOVE your sig pic, Maewyn. It's one of the best of the Sammath Naur close-ups. Thanks so much for your "bon voyage" wishes. It is our first "real" vacation ever. After almost 20 years! And, yes, Muse Frodo is coming *cough*. I am thinking of bringing my "super bendable posable action figure Frodo" with me, to take pictures of on the beach. No, he can't put his foot behind his neck. Worse, his clothes don't come off. *sigh* He will look out of place and overly warm, dressed in his plastic brown velvet costume, Elven cape and brandishing Sting at waiters prowling the beaches bearing trays of cocktails for guests (or do they only do that in the movies? I'll let you know).

Autumnelf you have a great new "suffering" shot, too. Woo hoo!

Ereshkigal, I looked at hobmom's screencaps as soon as I read your post. What a shame they are so grainy. I must say, I thought the preview, other than it showed EW, was unappealing. As you say, it looked like one big posterior-"whupping". My husband would say something even saltier; a Coast Guard term, which I won't repeat here even in disguise. :wink:

I've had a couple of good writing days. I'm up to page 19 in chapter 22 (my chapters range anywhere from 30 to 50 pages generally). Funny how the scene with the character I based physically off of Our Lad in which he wakes up naked in the bed just leapt from my fingers. Easy writing, that.

I am so pleased you have been forging ahead in your writing. I, too, find the sight of Muse Frodo naked in bed highly inspiring. He is doing steamy poses on the guest room bed as I write (where the computer now is), in order to encourage me to finish this post and see if I can't forge ahead in my draft in the last moments before we leave. He has been panting to get past the chapter's chit-chat and onto to the "good stuff". Of course, whenever I lift my fingers from the keyboard and give him a good, hard stare, he dissolves into a fit of his characteristic giggles. He's trying to take it seriously, his Muse job, but more often than not, he finds it rather funny. At any time, he would prefer action to just lying about showing off. :twisted:

Wilma, there's an upward facing dog? That means there's an "Upward Facing Frodo" -- but there are plenty of those in the films. :lol:

nienor, Ereshkigal and Lembas, where is this EW yoga clip, anyway? I mean, what's the name of it? The list of clips on that site is huge. I am sure Wendy named it, but I am a little pressed for time to go back and find it.

I'll have to drop in later, though. There are still scads of chores and packing to be done.

-- Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Zazinka » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:13 am

Mech, I can't believe how little I remember about my browse through that site, which was only yesterday :oops: , but there are a few different categories of clips I think, and they seem to be alphabetical. The one you want is called "Downward facing Frodo."

I clicked on one of the ROTK ones but it didn't play. :cry2: No time to check any others.
Zazinka
Shield Bearer

Postby mechtild » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:18 am

Zazinka, thanks. I looked again, and I had been looking under "Interviews." This time I tried "videos," and there it was. However, trying to open it took about an hour, with endless little windows asking me about Winzip, which is Quenya to me. I just kept hitting "next," with my fingers crossed, but, after my twentieth window, I thought, "Heck. I never wanted to see him with his leg behind his neck, anyway. It's not what I'd call one of my favourite poses on anybody." (OT to Zazinka, I really am writing you an email, honest! :P )

I am leaving in a few hours, but I wanted to copy and paste Maewyn's remarks from an email this morning as a parting thought (in case I can't go on line in our vacation spot).

I had said:

Oh, Maewyn, aren't we lucky to have lived to see these films? You mentioned it in the Harem, and so did .... Este? Flourish[Zazinka]? Who was it who said she stopped J-walking across the street, just to help make sure she lived to see TTT and RotK? Me, too. I sweated it, seriously, worrying I'd die or the world would be at war before RotK came out. But the films really have changed my life. Film Frodo, most of all. *sigh*

Maewyn answered,

It's certainly a phenomenon none of us will never forget. Mostly, besides the film-going, browsing through website galleries, etc. for me, it's the people I've met through TORC and K-D that have made a huge difference. These people understand! Sitting here at my computer, I'm just me, but on the other end, in so many other households, I'm one of a large group of like-minded friends. It's wonderful. It is life-changing. If not for the movies, you wouldn't be a fanfiction writer (or me, in a much lesser capacity), and I wouldn't have gone back to drawing. Neither of us would have met each other, much less all the other personalities with whom we've come into contact. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Awwww...Maewyn! But as you can see, reading Maewyn's post, it's not just we two, but all of us. How many times have I heard people on this thread and at K-D on the Frodo/Elijah threads there, confess to new burstings-forth of love and verve and creativity that had been long dormant? We haven't just watched these films; we have experienced them, allowing them to flow into our bloodstreams and do their secret work. I haven't been just a viewer; I feel as though I have been a participant in a massive but mysterious creative group effort or project, huge but mostly hidden, yet showing itself through people's posts on these threads.

Group hug to all the sub-creators. :grouphug:

And the biggest one for J.R.R. Tolkien, whose own sub-creation brought it forth with nearly god-like fiat. "And the Sub-Creator said, 'Let there be Middle-earth; and let it teem with unique life; Let it be filled with memorable sentient beings!' And so it happened. And the fans beheld it and saw that it was good."

I think I'll go and say this over at the Harem, just in case my plane goes down.

*Trundles off in her tropical shirt and shorts, super-posable-bendable-action-figure Frodo in her breast pocket ("Stop that, you naughty Muse!")*

-- Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Ereshkigal » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:00 am

http://www.hathawaymix.org/shelly/websi ... gfrodo.zip

I think this will work. That's the Downward Facing Frodo from Elijah Illusions. Right click save as, and it saves as a zipped Windows Media File, so you'll need something to unzip it (I use Zipeypro) and Windows Media. Very cute, though.

Have a wonderful vacation, Mech. I so need one I can barely stand it.

I have to admit that the trailer has made me lose all enthusiasm for Hooligans, but remember the Love Story trailers for FOTR that emphasized Arwen and Aragorn's romance? If you judged by those trailers alone, the whole movie was just a love story. Perhaps this trailer is just as misleading.

That's our only hope.

But, you know, the sad thing is, I'll see the movie regardless. I used to have a similar crush on, of all people, Kiefer Sutherland (at least he is closer to my age) and endured terrible movie after terrible movie until I gave up on him. Cowboy Way finally broke my spirit, although Disney's terrible The Three Musketeers softened up the camel's back. The only problem is that I grew to really dislike Sutherland after watching all of those terrible movies.

I hope that will never, ever happen with Wood.

BTW: anyone seen this link shown below yet? I've just started playing with it, and not much on Kevin yet, but it might be fun to bookmark for later. Actually, I don't think there is anything on Kevin, which either means he is so minor a character there won't be much of him, or (as I think from reading the synopsis on another site earlier), Kevin's role is so mysterious they're trying to keep viewings of him to a minimum.

http://www.sincitythemovie.com/#

TTFN
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby Autumnelf » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:33 am

Just watched the trailer for Hooligans. I just have to say they'd better not damage that fine face in all the brawling. The other boys can get bloodied up, but they had better leave Elijah intact. (I think that can be called the mothering instinct in me).
Autumnelf
Shield Bearer

Postby Zazinka » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:00 pm

Autmnelf, over at K-D Honeyelf posted a picture taken by a fan during the "Hooligans" shoot and Mr. Wood looked pretty battered about the face. I hoped it was makeup but I don't know for sure.

Mech, :lol: I have, er, faith! Yes, that's it, faith! Hope you are getting properly prepared for a few days of leisure in paradise, though. (*drools*)

Eresh, I really doubt the whole entire movie will consist of sequences like those that were cut together for the "Hooligans" trailer. I mean, you just can't tell a story like that, can you? :P My guess is that the trailer is intended for the film's main demographic and that this is what the marketers judged they would most want to see. Remember how the earliest FOTR trailer showed that gorgeous shot of the Fellowship climbing over the rise in the hills, one by recognizable one, and how we all (I'm sure you all did, because I did) screamed out their names as they went by? THAT was the shot WE all were aching for, and they gave it to us. It's just marketing.

I'd like to see the "Hooligans" film, but I'm going to read a lot of reviews and decide whether I'll enjoy it or not. Some close friends and family are very interested in British "football" but if none of them are attracted to the film I probably won't go either, regardless. (*blushes :oops: over these limits on her loyalty but hates to reward a bad film*)
Zazinka
Shield Bearer

Postby mechtild » Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:26 pm

Autumnelf, here's a link to Honey's post in The Facutly, alluded to above by Zazinka, showing the Damaged E.W.:

http://www.khazaddum.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=601

Looks like scar-material to me. Though, as Zazinka suggests, perhaps it's make-up for the film, and then was called a real injury by the internet rumour mill.

By the way, Zazinka, you once asked how EW got that eyebrow injury at Mardis Gras. I heard, "Mardis Gras beads" in one post, and "medallion" in another. (But the beads sometimes have medallions on them.) Still, it must have been quite a whack for cheap plastic beads or medallions to do that.

But, then, E.W. has such sweet, fair, delicate skin, as we all know. Especially Bree, who was cheek-to-cheek, although she can't remember, poor dear girl.... :P

-- Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Bree379 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:46 pm

... Hooligans... looks... gory... ick. I may not be able to sit through that one with my eyes open!! However, looking past the blood and gore, I couldn't help but notice how little EW is. In the scene where they're at the soccer game and they're all cheering and what not, Elijah is so much shorter than the other guys he's with!! He's not amongst hobbits anymore, eh? ;) I'll have to go see it though, I've got to support him!

Mech!!!! I'm sure you've already left, but I'm sending my best wishes for a good time along behind you. They should catch up with you before you make it to the beach! Have a mahvelous time, dahling! And don't let Frodo muse get sunburnt. Maybe a bit rosy, but we wouldn't want that fair complexion tarnished!

I really wish I had the energy for a longer post, but I've got a migraine and probably shouldn't be staring at the computer screen at all! So you ladies swoon it up a little extra for me, and I'll be back to check up soon!
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby Autumnelf » Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:18 pm

Mech, thanks for posting that picture from Hooligans. He does look pretty beat up. I suppose I was overreacting earlier. Judging from Bree's lovely Baccus picture, Elijah didn't suffer any permanent damage from the film. And one of the things I admire about him is how much he throws himself into a part, regardless of the physical toil. That's why we all love him as Frodo (this week of Angst pics being an example). Like I said earlier, I guess it's part of the mothering instinct. But maybe there's a wicked side to it too ("Oh, Elijah, let me kiss it better")

=:) :angel:

BTW, Maewyn, love the pic. I have to say he played that scene so perfectly for me. Even the way he said "I'm here, Sam" was exactly the way I'd always imagined it in the book.
Autumnelf
Shield Bearer

Postby Chickenlegs » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:27 am

Hi all, Chickenlegs delurking again. Sorry I haven't posted for a while.
Since I last posted I've been to Sydney to see the LOTR Movie Exhibition which completely blew me away. My only disappointment was not seeing a full-size-worn-by-Elijah Frodo costume. They just had the mini-me version worn by his scale-double (BK?) which I must admit was so CUTE!!! But apart from that, the exhibition was incredible and took a good 2 hours plus to see. It's broken all exhibition attendance records in Sydney too - 3,000 people a day.

I'm completely overwhelmed by all the posts that have been submitted since my last visit here. I can't even begin to attempt to add my comments to all the dicussion that's been going on. But just some random thoughts while I remember them...

Bree - thanks for sharing your wonderful experience of meeting Elijah. You describe it so well, I felt your excitment leaping out of the screen. Your honesty in your feelings was beautiful and very touching! :love:

Mech - was it you who posted the link to the Hooligans clip? Thank you so much for that. I think the trailer is designed to attract the blokey audience who like to see a bit of violence, but I have this awful feeling that element may find little Lijey a bit laughable as a football hooligan. But maybe I'm wrong. Afterall I suppose in reality there must be some shorty-bum hooligans throwing their fists about in amongst all the big boof-head thugs.

:) I'm probably one of the rare few who adored Elijah with the Faux-Mo - I thought it brought out his beautiful cheekbones and nose, and emphasised those enormous eyes. And I didn't mind that it wasn't an authentic 70s punk mohawk because it made me want to nuzzle the lovely soft duck-down on the side of his head. I just love Elijah when he looks slightly freaky. But hey that's just me.

:) Maewyn - love your sig pic. Makes me remember that I've always thought that Frodo, of all the hobbits, has the most lovely delicate pointed ears. They are more elvish than hobbity. The other hobbits' ears are much bigger and only slightly pointed. Ahh Frodo - he of the lovely ears!

:) Speaking of Frodo's beauty - ever noticed how Frodo/Elijah is seemingly devoid of nostril hair? Ok I am certifiably weird in noticing these things, I know! :lol:

Well thanks for listening to my meandering thoughts.

Chickenlegs :hug:
Chickenlegs
Citizen of Imladris

Postby ElvishMaiden » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:24 am

HELLO!!! Ya'll probably don't remember me, but I'm back all right! What hav I missed so far? :)
ElvishMaiden
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Ereshkigal » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:12 am

ElvishMaiden wrote:HELLO!!! Ya'll probably don't remember me, but I'm back all right! What hav I missed so far? :)

Probably quite a lot, but we don't care. Welcome back! If you don't have the hours it might take to peruse through all the old threads, just ask about what you don't know. We just love to answer questions!

What did we miss in your Elijah life? Anything interesting?

SWOOOOOOn for your return!
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Sat Feb 19, 2005 11:21 am

Chickenlegs

Hi...glad you are back !! So the Exhibition was FAB was it ? I saw this exhibition when it was in the Science Museum in London...wrote a review at the time and posted it in the Reading Room...here :-

Wendylady's Exhibition Review

I believe I may have mentioned it before, but you didn't want any spoilers before you went to see it yourself....quite right too !!!
Anyway, you may like to read my impressions and see how they compare to your experience...

Well, the screening times for "Hooligans" is on the Internet now....here they are :-

7:30 PM, Saturday March 12th - Alamo Downtown
3:30 PM, Monday March 14th - Alamo Downtown
10:00 PM, Friday March 18th - Alamo S. Lamar

Anyone live anywhere near enough ?

We need reports !!
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby nienor*lalaith » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:08 pm

:cry2: :cry2: :cry2:
I'm so near to Austin, it's painful. I can't go. Why, why did I take that job offer?? Why do I still have studies??? :P

I had a dream last night that I did go, and I was in this big auditorium type of place that had a big movie screen, and they had a sign thing that announced the next movie. When Hooligans was announced, everyone started cheering. How obssesed am I??!! I don't even like soccer. Or violence for that matter. But I'd still like to see it. :wink:

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby Bree379 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:31 am

Aw, nienor, I'm there with ya in your dreams. I mean, it's so depressing that Texas is only one state away but it has to be SEVEN hours to Austin. If it was Houston I could definately take a 5 hour drive but 7 is just pushing it for one day ;) But one state away... ouch... But then again, will Elijah even be there? Not that it matters to me at all...*cough*

Chickenlegs, it's been FOREVER since I posted with you, I'm so glad that you've delurked as well. It must have been threads and threads back that we last co-posted. I'm glad that you enjoyed both the exhibition and my account. I saw the exhibition when it was in Boston, and I must agree that it was wonderful. I too was a bit disappointed that it was not Elijah's costume that appeared in the display, but the little one was so cute I was alright with it. And I was absolutely astounded by Aragorn's costume. Galadriel's and Arwen's were just beyond words. Had I not had people with me to keep me moving, I may have just stood there and stared for hours!!! What a great experience, I'm so happy for you that you got to go!! :D

ElivishMaidene, quick recap--we've all been swooning like fools!! Welcome back! Please join in at will ;)

By the way, Zazinka, you once asked how EW got that eyebrow injury at Mardis Gras. I heard, "Mardis Gras beads" in one post, and "medallion" in another. (But the beads sometimes have medallions on them.) Still, it must have been quite a whack for cheap plastic beads or medallions to do that.

I don't know, it really doesn't take much with those suckers. Imagine small little plastic bullets hurtling towards you at high speeds, it's not pretty!! Caught unawares, those beads can do some serious injury. I know two girls, one last year and one this year, that were hit by beads thrown by Elijah himself. Both ended up with serious cuts requiring a quick trip to the hospital for stitches. But really, Elijah induced stitches are worth it, right???
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:08 am

Hello Everyone.

Oh Chickenlegs, you lucky thing getting to see the LOTR Movie Exhibition! I'd probably be there all day if it was me, just staring at the costumes and other "artefacts" and finding it hard to move on. I also read Wendy's report that she linked. Was the exhibition set up like she described?

Re Frodo's ears - Yes! I'm a sucker for pointed ears, and Elijah's are just the right shape for them to look good. (I'm a long-time Star Trek fan and some actors' ears don't lend themselves to points!)

Nose hairs?! Elijah's a bit young for them to be obvious. Just wait until he's a lot older!

ElvishMaiden - I'm sorry that I don't remember you. :( However, please drop in more often and join in the conversation so that we can get to know you better!

Thank you Bree for contributing in the comments section under "Reflection". I've now got four comments. And to think I avoided submitting it for so long because I didn't think it was good enough for the Gallery! :roll:

Autumnelf - Thanks - I had chosen three possible pics for my sig, and that one just jumped out at me. It's nice to be able to have special pics on display. (Thanks once more to my TORC :angel: !)

'Bye for now.

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Chickenlegs » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:14 pm

Hey again..

Wendylady, I don't think it was me who didn't want to read any spoilers about the exhibition. I remember reading your amazingly detailed review at the Empire forums in about November of 2003 and sending the link to a friend who is also an LOTR enthusiast. Your wonderful review made me want so badly to see it but that stage I didn't even know it whether it would come to Australia. Thank goodness it did. Hopefully it will come back one day. I have a feeling this exhibition will "go on and on"!

Yes Maewyn the exhibition was pretty much as described by Wendylady. I emailed my review to some friends so when I'm back at home I'll see if it's worth posting here and you can compare our impressions.

Hey Bree - yeah I tend to lurk and lurk as I never seem to have the time to post much. I've joked before that if I didn't spend so much time reading fan fic I might have more time to make a worthwhile contribution to Frodo-fandom. :rofl:
Chickenlegs
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Chickenlegs » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:29 am

Well here it is - my sum up of the LOTR movie exhibition. This was originally written to send by email to some of my email pen-pals not all of whom are Lotr fans, so you might want to bear that in mind as you read. It's not half as comprehensive as Wendylady's but hope you find it interesting.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS (just in case there is anyone who intends seeing it in the future but doesn't want to spoil the surprise.)

It was BRILLIANT!!! First thing you see when you approach the exhibition is a replica of The Argonath, the statues of the two Numenorean kings with their hands outstretched, that the fellowship sail past in the first movie. The Argonath were on either side of the entrance to the exhibit which was a great way to enter. Plus they had a recording of Ian McKellen bellowing "You shall not pass!" which I think was meant to be a bit of a joke.

So into the exibit we went, which was darkly lit to give emphasis to the lighting of the individual displays, one for each character featured in the exhibit. First thing you see going in is the exhibit for Frodo. As with each character they had the main costume worn by the character, a monitor featuring interviews with the actor, and a collection of props associated with the character. For Frodo, they had the mini-versions of the costume and the small versions of his props e.g. Sting, Sting's scabbard, clay pipe, The Red Book of Westmarch, elvish brooch. The costume being the mini-version was adorable. So cute!! Little cloak,little waist-coat, little trousers! It was all so.... little!!! I would have liked to see Elijah's costume though - just to get an idea of his actual height. However the Mithril vest was the full-size one (I believe), but alas Elijah fessed to only ever wearing a t-shirt version with "mithril" just on the front. This was the actual one as held up by Bilbo at Rivendell.

The other characters featured were Gimli, King Theoden, Gandalf, Arwen, Aragorn, Saruman, Sauron (ie that scary spikey armour he wears in the prologue to the first film), Legolas, Galadriel, Haldir (just the weapons) and Celeborn (from memory just his circlet)- each featuring their main costume, most with a monitor with interviews with the actor and with their own unique collection of props. For example for Gandalf, his props included the scrolls and parchments he looked through when he visited Minas Tirith in the first film. So much detail it was mind-boggling and that could be said of all the props. I want go into details it would be pointless. But for each character the props on display were so detailed and beautiful it was awe-inspiring! I was also struck by how lived-in and authentic they seemed - not like movie costumes at all, but more as actual relics. Aragon's in particular exuded this quality.

Gollum's character was dealt with mainly via videos showing how the character was put together - but I must admit having watched so much of this process on the DVDs I didn't bother too much with this one.

For Treebeard the artisans at Weta made a special scaled down model of his head and torso especially for the exhibition - same for the Cave Troll.

The Ring had it's own inner and very darkened chamber that you could enter from either of two entrances. The dark orange Elvish lettering was projected outwards from the ceiling and it slinked across the carpet at your feet, beckoning you to enter and as you did it slid across and up the wall. The Ring itself was suspended in a clear glass tube and to my eyes seemed to be oval rather than perfectly round.

They also featured some of the miniatures (or bigatures as they called them) used in the film e.g. the mill at Hobbiton featured in Frodo's vision at Lothlorien, the Tower of Orthanc and a maquette (which is the smaller scale model they used to give Peter Jackson the idea of what they wanted to do) of The Tower of Barad Dur.

They had a whole section just on suits of armour and various swords and weapony used. There were about 15 to 20 suits of armour, Elves for the First Age and Third Age, Gondorians in the First and Third Ages, various Orcs, Goblins, various Uruk-Hai, Rohan, the Haradrim. The Elvish armour in particular was stunningly beautiful and so intricate. I wanted to wear it!! As for the weaponry, they had various swords some like scimitars, pikes, long-bows, knives, it just went on and on. This was probably my favourite part of the exhibition. Sauron's armour was mind-blowing. Beautiful designs etched into every spare inch of armour with evil looking hooks sprouting everywhere. He could stand in a bar and be used as a bottle-opener!!

The had one glass cabinet jam-packed with old latex prosthetics, hobbit feet and ears, elvish ears, orc ears, noses, all sorts of stuff. It look truly macabre. This was accompanied by a wonderful video showing Sala Baker enduring 11 hours of make-up to be transformed into Lurtz and comically snoring his head off for the last few hours. What an adorable man!

All around the sides walls of the exhibit area they had about 40 various pencil sketches and paintings done by the movie's designers e.g. Alan Lee, John Howe, Jeremy Bennett and some others. These drawings and paintings in themselves were so beautiful and wouldn't normally be seen in public as they were simply designs to show to Peter Jackson. Alan Lee's drawing of Lothlorien was huge about 3' x 4', and was so delicately beautiful, the pencil strokes were more like shimmers across the paper.

They also had exhibits showing how the scale issues were sorted out in the movie, ie. hobbit size against human size. You and a friend could sit in a two seats which on the monitor showed up as one seat, but one of you would be hobbit-sized. They also had samples of the materials used for the normal sized and scale double costumes of the hobbits. For example the herring-bone pattern used for Frodo's jacket was scaled down for the material used for the scale-double actor. Same with the brocade on his braces etc. They also had the full-size version of Sam's pots and pans, and the miniature version. Very cute!!!

The very last exhibit before you left, was the full wax figure they made of Boromir for the scene where he is set adrift in one of the boats after he has been slain by the Uruk-hai. So in the exhibit they had the boat and when you leaned over and looked inside there was Boromir. It was as good as any Madame Tussauds wax figure. It was incredibly life-like even down to the individual eyebrow hairs and beard. Really creepy! I'll bet all the Sean Bean fans were tempted to jump in the boat with him! LOL!

In addition to all these exhibits the ceiling running the length of the exhibit was hung with all the heraldic (I supposed you call them) banners used by the Gondorians and Rohan all torn, dirty and battle-scarred. For example the torn banner of a white horse that gets whipped from the flag-pole at Meduseld whilst Eowyn looks out across the countyside and floats to the ground at Aragorn's feet (which always makes me feel it represents her heart flying out to him saying "Come, Save my people!), the torn and dirty banner with the Tree of Gondor and many others that are used in the final battles scenes of The Return of the King.

It was a truly remarkable exhibition. And I'm sure I've already forgotten so much of the details. I thought the DVD documentaries had given me an insight into the work that went into making these films, but when you see these artisans handiwork up close, well, it gives you a whole new level of appreciation.

Chickenlegs xxx
Chickenlegs
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Maewyn » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:10 am

Hello Everyone.

Chickenlegs - Thank you for your LOTR Exhibition report. It sounds like you had a wonderful time! It was very well written, with clear descriptions of what you saw - and you saw so much!

It would be amazing to see the fine detail on those "artefacts" that weren't visible on screen. I've read of Theoden's breast plate (I think) that had a horse engraved on the inside, where no one else could see it except Bernard Hill as it was strapped on. Was that on exhibition?

I can understand how you would be disappointed that Elijah's costume wasn't on show, but it would be fascinating to see the miniature version. That way you could at least visualise the "real" size of a hobbit.

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby nienor*lalaith » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:38 pm

Chickenlegs, thanks so much for the account of your movie exhibition experience!!! I would love to see one someday. Seeing the actual armor and costumes up close, being hobbit-sized in a monitor....it sounds so neat. :)

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby Bree379 » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:39 pm

Chickenlegs, that was a fabulous account of the exhibition!! I saw it while in Boston, and I have to say, as wonderful as it was there, it seems as though there's even more in Sydney. I don't remember any heraldic flags, and there were certainly no members of the fellowship as you walked in. I'm so glad you wrote that though, because I did not write an account, and it's amazing how if you don't write something down, it just slowly fades out of your memory. Makes me wish I had! But I'll just read yours as a reminder!

I would love to fly to Sydney right now and see that exhibition again. *sigh* But your description was the next best thing to actually being there!

I had to comment on your drawing, maewyn, after I saw it. I was really awed by it. Especially since you were out of practice when you did it. I'm completely fascinated by it. It's tres beautiful.

Oh, and while on the subject of art, Sidonzo, if you're out there, I printed out your drawing of the Phantom and it came out absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to get a frame and hang it on my wall!
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby Zazinka » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:20 pm

Great report, Chickenlegs! I'm always happy to read about that show--I traveled up to Boston just to see it last summer and it was an awesome experience. Bree, when were you there?! (Did we already have this conversation? Sorry if I'm repeating myself :oops: .)

One of the things I'll always remember about the Boston show is that you exited directly into a little sales area where they had the films and the books and a few other little things--bookmarks, Gollum masks, etc., and there was a big monitor on which they were playing the ROTK dvd.

I was just coming down from the excitement of seeing the show--seeing the actual costumes and props and stuff (and meeting a bunch of friends there :) )-- and then I walk out there and Frodo is on the monitor, large as life, going, "I'm glad to be here with you, Samwise Gamgee, here at the end of all things."

And I just went :cry:

But it was worth it.
Zazinka
Shield Bearer

Postby dark_princes » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:11 am

I don't know what you have missed ElvishMaiden. How long have you been away. so maybe then whe can help you.

And what about the picures of my working holiday is that whe just have to waith until mechtild is back from here holiday. I have send them to her and she would try to put them on the internet for me.
LEts pray that that wil work so that everybody can watch them. and so that everybody can see what i have been seing.

ps I think that whe have to start a new thread because this one is almost at the 300 posts.
dark_princes
Shield Bearer

Postby Maewyn » Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:56 am

Hello everyone.

Dark_Princes, I'm sure when Mechtild returns she'll be able to help with your pictures. We'd all like to see them!

You're right, it is time to start a new thread. This one moved a lot faster than the last one! So, here's the link.

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Fandom Archives