The "Gone Troppo" Frodo/Elijah Swoon Thread

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Postby mechtild » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:48 pm

I haven't been here in a while!

But although I have not been posting in here for a few days, while I have been trying to finish my latest chapter I could not restrain myself from making a few more "Frodo Art Travesties". I posted them in The Harem at K-D (where one may post an image directly into one's post box). Here are links to posts in which they appear, for you who have been enjoying this sort of thing.

1. Here is Frodo as he has appeared in my previous sig pic, as Burne-Jones's Demophoon, with a few extra draperies painted over his "Frodo" or as it was later dubbed, "his action figure." In a poem recently pasted into the Harem about a pining 18th century shepherd it even was referred to as a "chariot"!

Hmmm. Gives a whole new slant to Miriam's song from Exodus (in the bible).

http://www.khazaddum.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=235

2. Here is the full picture that I just cropped to use in my sig pic, a Frodo-fication of William Holman Hunt's allegorical The Awakening Conscience. I think it is MUCH improved by making it into a picture of Mr. Baggins entertaining of a golden afternoon at Bag End. What WAS he doing those 17 years after Bilbo left? Well, now we know.

http://www.khazaddum.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=272

3. Here's "Sir Frodo," looking quite the "Prince of the Halflings" in William Frederick Burton's painting of a knight intercepting his lady for kiss on the stairs. I must say, I swoooooon for this painting now that Frodo is in it!

http://www.khazaddum.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=280

4. Here is a typical idealized genre painting from the 18th century by Francois Boucher of a shepherd accepting a grape from his shepherdess sweetheart. It was inspired by the poem that K-D's Este posted in full earlier in that thread, which was written from the POV of a smitten shepherd. The poem's last stanza is simply delicious. I couldn't have done better in my own story! :twisted:

http://www.khazaddum.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=284

5. I thought Frodo was a bit too "Come Hither" in this version of the late-Victorian Meteyard's Eros and I took it down; but by special request it is back up:

http://www.khazaddum.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=300

6. Here's the same painting, but with a different face, making Frodo's Eros look a bit overwhelmed by the magnitude of his assignment as god of love for all of Middle-earth:

http://www.khazaddum.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=297

That's the lot, so far.

I have done one more, a Caravaggio in which Frodo looks simply to-die-for, but I am saving it for when CHAPTER 11 of Threshold is posted.

YES!!!! I finally finished it after two months of toil and angsting and this morning I sent it to its beta readers (Scarlet, Lady Wendy and Pearl aka Diamond of Long Cleeve).

When it finally is ready to post, I will certainly let you know. To you for whom I have emails -- those I know are reading this story -- I shall send little notices when the occasion arrives. Ah! Muse Frodo will be ecstatic!

Back to work on the HTML version,

~ Mechtild

P.S. Tonight, my daughter is leading me on the body parts-strewn way to see the local opening of Sin City. I will bring back a report, if I am still conscious by the end. =:)
Last edited by mechtild on Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:52 pm

Mechtild - Woo Hoo! Chapter 11's nearly here! Bring out the dancing girls... er... things! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

I will await your Sin City review with bated breath!

Maewyn :)
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:56 pm

I will await your Sin City review with bated breath!

Maewyn, thanks for banging the tambourine for Ch. 11.

As for Sin City, here's my scoop on it. I just wrote this for The Faculty, but I'll post it here, too for folks who don't lurk there.

When I say there are "Spoilers" I mean it, so no peeking if you want any surprises.....

Well, we just got back from the last showing of Sin City on it's opening night. The place was packed with mostly twenty and thirty-somethings, lots of students from the local colleges and lots of males. Leaving the theater, I heard a lot of voices gushing over how cool the film was, especially the voices of young male persons who especially liked the design and concept.

And I needn't have worried about the violence after all. There is gobs of it, but....

Spoilers

.... along with the whole stylized look of the film, the violence was, well, stylized. It didn't really matter how many times characters were sliced or diced or bashed or mashed, it ended up looking like Monty Python to me. Did any of you ever see their "Sam Peckinpaw's Production of Salad Days" skit from their TV series? They had blood gushing everywhere from hoses attached to people's thoats and wrists (I think it inspired the scene of the knight at the bridge in the Holy Grail). It was hilarious -- and so were many parts of this film.

Our audience roared over many scenes, including the slow death and killing of Kevin. Me, too. The laughs were interspersed with plenty of Eeewwww's, too, of course, but I don't think anyone was truly frightened. There were "Eeews" for the doggie-dines-on-Kevin-in-sillhouette bit, too, but even that got laughs. And why not? It was so over-the-top gross, it was funny. I nearly cried during the scenes where they were carrying Kevin's head around, plonking it on tables, etc. -- but from laughter. I regret that I am perhaps too familiar with EW from this thread and could only think of him working on the scenes and thinking what fun he must have had doing it. I did get a few jolts during the film but only when a bullet would suddenly come screaming through a window during an otherwise quiet scene.

All of the performances were extremely good; the cast was just excellent. And I loved the campy script and perfect film score (for the film). I especially loved Mickey Rourke as Marv. Oh, Benicio D.T. was a pleasure to watch, too -- his talking semi-decapitated head routines ("like a Pez dispenser") were full of terribly clever little bits of macabre humour (Think, American Werewolf in London when David's horribly killed victims are chatting with him afterwards).

The women were mostly very funny, in spite of (or because of?) their comically hot babe outfits, all them vamping around in their Victoria's Secret dominatrix costumes waving guns. I confess I kept thinking of the "Orc Love Slave" outfit we invented for laughs over in Frodo's Harem. The spectacle they made in their stilettos and thongs and fishnets opening fire from the rooftops trying to look professional handling their weapons got a lot of laughter. (Too many knock-kneed poses.) Most of them did not look terribly dangerous. But there are a lot of hunters up here (male and female), so anyone handling a gun in films is scrutinized pretty mercilessly. Many women can shoot up here, but they tend to dress like Marge in Fargo while they are doing it. :D

*** Edited to add: I think the lead women, as "good guys" were supposed to be moving, as well as funny in their camp way. But I can't say that I really cared what happened to any of them, male or female. Even when the parole officer was huddled on the floor, waiting to be Kevin's next victim, the whole scene was so straight off the pages of a comic book, how could I take it seriously? The heads on the wall alone were enough to defuse any sense of reality in the scene which might make is fearful. Was Kevin a taxidermist, too? ;) ***

Anyway, it was worth seeing once. I never need see it again, though. It is about half an hour too long to sustain its interest level, for its genre, in my opinion. As far as themes go, there are definitely some there, which I won't discuss here since they are so obvious. One thing is certain, film noir (and this is a camp version of film noir) sure is full of Irish-named characters, the good guys and bad guys. Wicked churchmen (of course), wicked politicians (of course) as well as the main cops (good and bad) all seemed to have Irish names. Even some of what seemed to be Northern Irish mercenaries managed to make an appearance. I was hoping for someone with bag pipes to show up by the end of it.

All I can say is, I hope Hooligans has a bit more substance (and that it gets a distributor!) than this film. I like a good laugh, good performances and the cool-looking design, but that's not enough to keep me enthralled, not for nearly two hours. I began checking my watch after about an hour and fifteen minutes.

As my violent-film-loving daughter said as we walked out, "I give it a 2 out of 5, Mom. It had some cool parts, but, well, I just didn't care about any of the people in the movie enough. I liked Saving Private Ryan and Gladiator a lot better, because you cared about the characters."

The two films she named were not comparable to Sin City in type, but I knew what she meant.

Anyway, those are some of my first responses, just off the top of my head. I'm off to bed,

~ Mechtild
Last edited by mechtild on Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:57 pm

Thanks so much for your review mech!!!! :) I can't wait for it to come out in theaters here!!
~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby Bree379 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:32 pm

Wow, Mech, this hardly ever happens, but I must say I completely disagree with the majority of your review! Perhaps it was the audiences that we viewed Sin City with that made my take on the film so much different than yours. I cringed at many of the scenes, and I got very attached to the character Hardigan from the very beginning. I'm terrible at writing movie reviews, mostly I say "I liked it, it was good" or "Ew, terrible movie," but I will do my best!

Warning, this will probably be spoilery, so if you don't want to be spoiled, don't read! :)

I must say I really enjoyed the visual aspect of this movie. It never got boring or slow for me. If the storyline wasn't keeping my attention, I was marvelling at the stylization. I loved the inky black and white with splashes of color here and there, especially in those characters whose eyes featured color. I was very shocked when we were shown Kevin's eyes, as I was under the impression that they were never going to be seen.

I'm going to interrupt myself here to gush over Elijah. I was genuinely creeped out by him!! His Kevin was such a polar opposite of his Frodo that I will certainly not have any problems with watching LoTR and thinking of EW as Kevin ;) He has this smile that doesn't reach his eyes, almost as though his eyes are souless. And there is a faint tint of blue to his eyes, which I found interesting. Almost to enforce that he is indeed a human. Because really, he seemed very alien to me. Very creepy. Kevin would make a great character for an episode of the X-files.

Let's see... what else (I warned you that I'm horrible at this!) I agree with Mech regarding Benicio, he did a great job--I think he was the only character who did make me laugh. Mickey Rourke was amazing as Marv, he really became the character. I was quite impressed.

But honestly, my favorite storyline was that between Hardigan and Nancy. I didn't really connect with any of the other storylines, but this one got me from the top. I just think it's so interesting that Mech and the audience she viewed with found the movie funny, while I'm sitting in the theater blubbering over Hardigan! I guess I took it way too seriously!

Maybe because Mech and I are products of different generations, Sin City seemed more video gameish than comic bookish to me--perhaps because in many cases a video game is just a visualization of the comic book genre. They kind of go hand in hand. All of the characters seemed to have extra lives saved up, like the characters in a video game. You know, you have 3 chances or "lives" to complete the mission, but the Sin City characters only had so many lives, and they had to use them in the best way they could. But seriously, I was thinking throughout the movie, "why won't Marv die?" That man was like a cat with nine lives!

When the movie ended I just looked over at my friend, and we both started laughing. Honestly, I didn't know what to think about the movie. It was so over the top in so many different aspects--almost to the point that I was exhausted when it was over! In a way it left me speechless.

End of potential Spoilerness

The friend who came to the movie with me is the same friend who went to New Orleans with me to meet Elijah. She's so good to me! I told her the next movie she'd have to see with me wouldn't be as violent, thinking that it would be Everything is Illuminated, but if Hooligans does get picked up, that may come first. Who knows!

Oh, and I am so excited about Ch 11!!

Lembas you took some beautiful pictures! I'm not even a big fan of cats, but yours looks pretty cute ;) I got a digital camera, but I have a feeling it's a piece of crap. Your camera seems to get some high quality pictures.

And I didn't see any of Charlie either. But only a few more days until we get to see what happens! I'm on the very edge of my seat with anticipation!! Oh, and just so you know, JJ Abrams said that the season finale will be quite the cliffhanger. :roll: I can't wait a week! Nevermind months!

Maybe if you go see Sin City, Maewyn, you'll have a bit more to say about Elijah. His performance is small, and he doesn't have any lines, but trust me, the boy doesn't need them to act. Of course, perhaps after reading our reviews Sin City seems even less attractive! :) Just make sure you stop in, even if it is only to swoon!

And chickenlegs, I'm fine, thank you! Just went through a quarter life crisis! (Kinda like a midlife crisis, but I figure since I'm just 20 I'm not allowed to have those yet. I do plan on living past 40 anyway!)

I watched that video about the musical version of LoTR, Zaz, and I've got to say it piqued my interest as well. I loved how they were portraying the Nazgul. At the beginning of the video with the music and the slow mo, it looked pretty creepy!

Alright, I've taken a long enough break from my homework and I really must get back to it!! I will conclude with a large SWOON for Frolijah and EW! :)

edited for clarity :)
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:36 pm

Bree, that was a great review! Obviously we did not experience the film in the same way, but that's what makes going to the movies and discussing them any fun. Audiences make a huge difference, too (witness the huge variety of audiences I watched RotK with!!! 8) ). But I am afraid that when it came to finding the film funny, if other people hadn't been laughing out loud, I would merely have been trying to hold it in. I really did find it laughable a lot of the time.

Here's a link to a review by Narya Celebrian, just in at The Faculty. It is very positive and takes the film very seriously as a drama. You will perhaps resonate to much that she says.

Narya's review:

http://www.khazaddum.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=343

Spoilers, cont'd.

I know what you are saying about Hardigan, who is the lone "good guy" with his tragic, stoic outlook on things. (By good guy I mean a person who tries to do the right thing in the universal sense, not just the thing that is good for him personally, according to his own agenda at the moment.)

I thought Bruce Willis was great and totally convincing in his dramatic committment, but his committment was to characters that just didn't exist for me as real people. It was as if all of his emotion had gone to waste. As if I were watching a mother sobbing over a framed photograph held in her hands crying, "My child, Oh, my child!" But when I went to look in order to commiserate with her, there was nothing in the frame but the anonymous picture that automatically comes in frames when you buy them. She's crying over the picture of a person who doesn't exist. Or doesn't exist in a way that I can see by looking at the picture she is holding. That's how I felt about Hardigan's (Hartigan's?) sorrow. Nancy Callaghan was a nice idea (the girl he saved grows up as the one person who has stayed true and continues to love him no matter what), but the way she came across as an onscreen character was not "real" for me the way he was, even though he was stylized, too.

That's not the best analogy, but it's what I've got at nearly midnight. He and others in the film were convincingly moved, but over what? :P

As for EW' role in the film, I wrote what I thought of the part of Kevin in a second post over at K-D. I am sure you will warm to what Narya said far more! :lol:

P.S. I am so glad you are feeling more up to snuff, Bree! :hug:

~ Mechtild
Last edited by mechtild on Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Hadara » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:52 pm

Hey all!

Haven't been around in a while, but after seeing Sin City last night I was DYING to find out what you all thought!!!

I completely agree with Bree; I. WAS. SO. CREEPED. OUT. by Elijah!!! I can't stop thinking about it. I went to work today and explained everything to one of the girls there who is not going to see it because she hates gratuitous violence and she almost threw up! His smile did not reach his eyes at all, that's exactly the way I was trying to put it...the way he moved, everything about him...it just goes to show what an amazing actor he truly is. That he can creep us out so badly, after making us love him so dearly...

Hope all is well with everyone, everything's great here in NYC except the freezing gusting wind and rain won't stop and spring won't come.

SW:):):):):):)N for Frodo!
Hadara
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maewyn » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:57 am

Hello Everyone.

Thanks Mechtild, Bree and Hadara for your reviews on Sin City. Mmmm. There are a few things to digest here. Yes, I have read the spoilers and am still undecided. I'll have plenty of time to think about it anyway, as the movie hasn't even been advertised here yet. :) (And maybe by the time it opens here, it will be over everywhere else and no one will remember to ask me if I went to see it! :D )

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Zazinka » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:43 am

Well, I already knew I wasn't going to see "Sin City" and neither the published reviews nor you generous friends (generous for sharing your thoughts so frankly) have changed my mind. Some of you have even confirmed it! :P I am, however, very glad to be able to find out so much about the film without having to go. I admit I was very curious. (There is a little voyeur in all of us, I suppose. :oops: )

Bree, it's nice to meet someone who knows how to spell "pique" correctly. :lol: :wink: I've made a secret resolution to keep an eye on this musical-in-the-making (despite having pooh-pooh'ed it until now). I wonder--if it's a smash hit in Toronto, perhaps it will come to Broadway and I could see it?

Hadara, hi to a fellow New Yorker! *waves from the suburbs*

Well, I have about 10 days' worth of work to accomplish before Tuesday (that's what I get to tackling a ridiculously"rush" job for a friend) so I have to go. But not without another plug for our lovely book-reading thread! We're plowing along at a temperate pace but tossing up all kinds of wonderful ideas and food for thought. Stop in! Bring your friends! :wink:

(Link in Mith's and Mech's sig boxes I think)
Zazinka
Shield Bearer

Postby mechtild » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:39 am

Maewyn, I wrote you an email about Sin City. 8)

Edited to add:
Hadara! How great to see you! Check of The Faculty; there are even more reviews from EW fans who loved Sin City and him in it. You will enjoy reading them, I think. :)

Zazinka wrote,

But not without another plug for our lovely book-reading thread! We're plowing along at a temperate pace but tossing up all kinds of wonderful ideas and food for thought. Stop in! Bring your friends! :wink:

THAT's a very pitiful excuse for a plug, Zazinka. :roll: Here, let me do it (*wrests keyboard away*) :D

HEY, FANS!!! DON'T FORGET TO STOP IN ON THE FANDOM-READS-THROUGH-THE-BOOKS THREAD! (Click red title for link :) )

Link: The Quest of Frodo: Three is Company

*brushes off hands*

There! I will have to come over to Long Island and give you some lessons on formatting in posts. Naaah. Just teasing. :hug: P.S. Zazinka, I put a new ridiculous Frodo Art Travesty up in The Harem. "Frodo giving his role as Eros of the Shire some critical thought." The link is in a post up there, link #5.

-- Mechtild 8)
Last edited by mechtild on Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Zazinka » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:22 pm

I know, I'm terrible at promotion! :rofl: I can barely do smileys either. :oops: Changing size and color are just beyond me. :wink:

Mayne there's a correspondence course I can take. :lol:
Zazinka
Shield Bearer

Postby Bree379 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:45 am

Hadara, so good of you to stop in! (You really should come by more often! :)) I'm so proud of Elijah for being able to creep me out so much, I mean, that's quite a feat if you ask me. I didn't think it was possible!

And thank you zaz for noticing my correct spelling! ;) Spelling is not my forte, so those times I get weird ones right are quite the little achievement! Maybe by the time (if) the LoTR musical (does make it to) makes it to Broadway, I'll be living in New York!

Mech, I enjoyed Narya's review, she experienced the movie in a similar way. But I am very glad you had a different view of the movie, it's interesting to see what other people think. I do wonder though, had I seen it with that audience if I would have had a much different experience. Guess I'll never know! I'd be interested to see what you had to say about Elijah's performance, so I guess I'll have to go check that out too!

Ok, and this is probably just downright silly, but a friend of mine and I were discussing how you could pay $70 for a photo op with Elijah Wood, and $60 for a photo with Billy Boyd. She said she would much rather meet Billy Boyd (fool ;)), especially because of the song in Chicago-- you know "we want billy, give us billy." Ok, so I decide to do a search of songs which feature the name "Elijah" and I stumbled across this one (by Neil Diamond, don't know if you know it or not) and couldn't help but think what I thought. (I'll get to that later) Ok, so here are some snippets from the lyrics:

Sleep, safe and warm
Dream cares be gone
You know that it won't take long
We'll be singin' Elijah's song
Singin' Elijah's song

Dream, that's what you do
Dream, 'cause dreams come true
Someday when you're big and strong
You'll remember Elijah's song
Remember Elijah's song
Remember Elijah's song
Remember Elijah's song

So if you change Elijah to Frolijah... well, that's what I did in my head and couldn't help but be reminded of Frodo going into the west and all that jazz. :) Imagine Sam singing it to Elanor! (Replace Elijah with Frodo...) My friend, however, was not convinced. But that's fine with me, more Elijah for us ;)

Silly, I know, but just thought I'd share! :)
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:42 am

ANOTHER ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Attention fans of the BBC radio series of LotR starring Ian Holm made in the '80s, of The Lord of the Rings.

Flourish has started a discussion thread on it at K-D (Khazad-dum), since we have been talking about it quite a bit in The Harem, in The Quest for Frodo, and a little bit here. Many people seem to be listening to it who would like to talk about it. Here's the link...

The Listening Room (thread about the BBC LotR radio production): http://www.khazaddum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3558

Bree, I may get back with more about what I thought about Elijah's performance in Sin City. In short, I thought he was perfect doing what was written for the part of Kevin, but that it was a very easy, one-dimensional role for him.

~ Mechtild
Last edited by mechtild on Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Zazinka » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:07 pm

Thank you Mech! Come one, come all! :clap:

*looks around, gives up on self-promotion herewith*

Moving right along, Bree, you're very welcome, but I just looked at my last post and realized I need spelling lessons myself, or typing lessons or something. I can't edit it now--I'm having one of those TORC days when you click on your thread, go away and do a load of laundry, come back, post, and go out to the bank. Running very slow for me--anyone else??

Mith, would you kindly e-mail Mech through her sig box link and let her put you in touch with me? Thanks! :)
Zazinka
Shield Bearer

Postby mechtild » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:56 pm

Zazinka, you wrote:

Thank you Mech! Come one, come all!

No trouble at all! 8)

Bree, you wrote,

Mech (...) I'd be interested to see what you had to say about Elijah's performance, so I guess I'll have to go check that out too!

OK, here’s a version of what I said to Maewyn regarding my thoughts on the role of Kevin in Sin City and EW’s performance in it. And I promise, this will be it on this film. I hope I don't sound disparaging of EW, I don't mean to, the DOLL! :love:

SPOILERS
I still cannot gush over EW's performance in Sin City. As effective as it is it was nothing special for him, as an actor. He gets to jump around very impressively in the wide-angle shots -- but how character-revealing is that? They do the same stuff in every martial arts film. EW just had to follow directions on how to do what he needed up on the wire with Mickey Roarke’s stunt double, and presto: there was the footage. His medium and close shots for Kevin consisted of him wearing the same poker face throughout (with the a slight Mona Lisa smile). Again: it worked -- but how challenging could this have been for him as an actor? Especially for him, since he is so danged good?

The only internal thing we know about the character of Kevin is what is said about him by another character, after Kevin is already dead (-- by the screwed-up cardinal). But in his actual onscreen performance not a drop of this "inner life" shows, not to my mind.

Is this a criticism? Not really: I am sure Kevin’s inner life wasn't supposed to be viewable! EW did his job beautifully -- but all he had to do was impersonate a one-dimensional comic book villain.

I suppose that's why I did not find him scary at all. For me, villains can remain enigmatic, but I have to have some sense of what’s going on in them, some sense of the rage or love or frustration or SOMETHING that makes them what they are on the outside. One can always see in a good villain the "ruin" of the person who might have been. But the audience knows not one thing about Kevin from his actual time onscreen; they only know that he does terrible things for no apparent reason with great agility while wearing the same smile throughout.

The smile, by the way, is not the nasty little smirk EW produced when Frodo put on the Ring in the Sammath Naur. Frodo was engaged, emotionally, when he smiled that smile. But Kevin's smile does not appear to be engaged with anything going on inside; it is static; fans have described it as a smile that does not extend to the character’s eyes; these remain expressionless. That is correct. I think that's what makes people think Kevin looks so “creepy.” Kevin's no-expression face and his unchanging smile belong to a doll, not to a living being.

That is what makes him creepy; he seems non-human; he's not even like a living creature, really. Sin City Kevin seems not only souless and heartless, he seems mindless, more like a force of nature than a character. When he strikes it is not like being taken out by a maniac or even a sociopath, it’s like being killed by a bolt of lightening (note his sweater design) or by a falling rock. At most, it would be like being the victim of a shark that is cruising the waters for chance prey. It's horrible, it's shocking, but not terrifying the way a true villain is terrifying.

“Chance prey” – yes. In so far as his victims are like chance prey, Kevin comes across as an extra-agile sort of Shelob. Shelob was supposed to be malignant but her malice was so undirected and random, in a way, she just “happened” to Frodo; she didn’t go out gunning for him in particular. (Unlike in Alien in which the predator seemed to be truly cunning, and full of rage and the desire for vengeance; Shelob seems skilled, but basically rather stupid -- "mindless").

So, while I adored all the Shelob film scenes, I confess I was never afraid of her, as such. I become terrified in those scenes, but because I am terrified for Frodo, not because I am terrified of Shelob. She is a danger to him and I want him out of there. In the case of Kevin’s predator scenes, the victims were not people for whom I cared so I did not experience this fear or terror on their behalf. I certainly was not afraid of him as I would be of a true villain, but as one would be afraid of a shark or a gaping pit in the dark that I might tumble into at any minute.

Again, I don’t mean to sound as though I am disparaging EW’s performance; what he produced was just what the script called for. If they wanted a villain who was like a destructive force of nature, he delivered. I’m just saying what the script called for was nothing special for him to act, especially compared to other roles.

Well, now it is time for my shift at work. *sigh*

~ Mechtild :)
Last edited by mechtild on Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Bree379 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:24 pm

Mech, I actually think you are right on with a lot of your review of Mr. Wood. I'm just so darned proud of Elijah for playing a role that is so different from Frodo, and receiving widespread acknowledgement and praise for it! Kevin is not the best, most fleshed out character that Elijah has played, but hopefully the popularity of the film will allow more people to see that he's not just "the good guy." He's an actor, and he can do whatever he wants, and well, because he's a good actor he pulls it off. Heck, he's a GREAT actor!

And you're right, Kevin seems very unhuman. As I said, very alien to me. I guess the reason Kevin creeped me out so much is because I read people by their eyes. I'm usually a good judge of character just from a person's eyes, and like you said, Kevin had a painted on expression, like that of a doll. With no emotion, I couldn't read him, and it just completely and totally creeped me out.

I agree, not an Oscar worthy performance, but certainly, as you said, effective! I guess I'm more proud of him for receiving the praise he has for this role. The world is finally seeing what we've seen all along!

See, Zaz, I didn't even notice that you had spelled anything wrong!

Well ladies, I'm seriously neglecting my studies and need to stop thinking about Elijah and Frodo and think about Economics (gag me). So, I will try to dispel any thoughts by giving a

HUGE SWOON for Frolijah! :)
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:44 pm

Bree, yes, much too young for a mid-life crisis ;). But you are still allowed to have crises all the same. I'm glad yours has passed, for now!

Zazinka, I have e-mailed Mech, as per your request ;).

I have a hotmail account in this name, if you'd like to get ahold of me. (Okay, fine, I'll admit it - that's my only e-mail address, and even my mother uses it :roll: )
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby nienor*lalaith » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:26 am

Thanks so much everyone who typed up such great Sin City reviews!! I had a blast reading them. I'm looking forward to being creeped out by Elijah (never thought I'd say that!). I've never been one to really enjoy comic books or action movies that much, but I keep an open mind, and I'm ok with having a taste of it once in awhile. As some of you mentioned, I'm more happy with the fact that Elijah's moving on instead of slowing down than anything.

Now I only have to wait until the relase it here, which could take a couple of weeks, or a couple of months. :roll:
~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby Maewyn » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:59 am

Hello Everyone.

Just popping in for a moment to say hello to you all. I've just returned to work after a short holiday, and I've been very, very busy, and so am rather tired tonight. I'm going to be even more tired now, because I've just lost a post to cyberspace. :x

Anyway, I thought I'd better perform a long-overdue
SWOOOOOOOOOOOON for our favourite Hobbit!

I appreciate that Elijah has decided to take roles to display "the dark side", but is this the face of a cannibal?
:? :) :D

Goodnight all!

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:06 am

Oh, Maewyn, that face! The one you linked above in blue, asking, "is this the face of a cannibal?" Oh, is that the most lovely face OR WHAT????? :love:

Bree, come over here and just look at that face! Could it maim and smite? :angel: No way.!

But, that's what being a good actor is, ey? :wink:

I hope you, and all the rest of you students are enjoying your work as you slog through classes and exams. :P Me, I'm just editing. Still. :roll:

*sigh*

~ Mechtild
Last edited by mechtild on Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Autumnelf » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:23 am

This just in from TORN--Miranda Otto just gave birth to a baby girl yesterday. Isn't that cute? Liv has a little boy and Miranda has a little girl. I didn't even know Miranda was expecting. I think each of them should name one of the hobbits as their godfathers. Miranda should of course ask Dom. And Liv--who else but Frodo/Elijah?

Edited to add: Mech, I think this current Sig Pic of yours is my favorite.
Autumnelf
Shield Bearer

Postby Bree379 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:45 pm

Ah yes, much better, that's the Frolijah we all know and love. I could never (in a million years) swoon for Kevin, but that face, yes, that is one that has caused a thousand swoons! :)

Mech, I'm THRILLED to pieces you're editing! You do such hard work, and it's so worth it all!

And congratulations to Miranda Otto!

Elijah news seems a little slow at the moment... Oh, I did get an offer in the mail from Bacchus to get a sword signed by both Sean Astin and Elijah Wood, but now that I have my sigs I got for free, it seems a bit ridiculous to pay $275! So that's all I got, nothing too interesting.

And yet, Elijah still deserves a swoon, and I'm feeling extra love for Frodo today! :D
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:22 am

Hello Everyone.

Me, I'm just editing. Still.
Mechtild - Oh, but it's WHAT you're editing, and the finished product that will be well worth the wait! :D

Oh, I did get an offer in the mail from Bacchus to get a sword signed by both Sean Astin and Elijah Wood, but now that I have my sigs I got for free, it seems a bit ridiculous to pay $275!
Bree - We have a "Superstars and Legends" store in our local shopping centre, which specialises in well-presented celebrity pictures, signed and unsigned. A few weeks ago I saw one that featured LOTR characters. It had three pictures in the same frame. One picture was of Frodo, and it was signed by Elijah. (The others were unsigned - and I don't remember who the other characters were. :roll: ) The price for this was $375! As much as I love Frodo, my purse won't stretch that far for something that isn't a necessity!

I'd just walk by the window and look at it. :) The last time I looked, it wasn't there. I wonder if there's another Frodo-fancier in my area who couldn't resist it? More likely, it's been moved to another store! :|

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:43 am

Autumnelf, what did Miranda Otto name the baby, do you know?

Bree, have you heard anything new on Hooligans getting distributed? You probably hear more than I do. I did check in at The Faculty yesterday, but only skimmed. It looks as though it is going to show at a film festival in Tribeca (Manhattan neighborhood that was considered very trendy when I lived in NYC, with artists living in loft spaces over old factories, etc. -- but probably full of rich people by now 8) ). Maybe Zazinka will get to go! Then we can hear from a Reliable Source what the film is like. :lol:

Maewyn, how are you? You were feeling a bit down in the dumps for the last week or so. Thank you for cheering me on during the writing of this chapter, and you, too, Bree, especially when neither of you were feeling that enthused about things until more recently. Would that be right? And no, I, too, would not be spending that sort of money for an autograph. I might pay a lot for a swatch of worn, chocolate-brown velveteen, though. :wink:

I was down, too, from sad things going on in our wider family, but more, I confess, from "writerly dissatisfaction," as I slogged through my beta's notes on this chapter. BUT, this morning, I just sent off the second draft of Ch. 11 of Threshold to the readers!!! :clap:

Perhaps this one will be "it!" (Or, almost "it".) Extra special thanks must go to Scarlet, who poured such a lot of time into helping me make this chapter better, and right when she is up to ears with Bono/U-2 committments! :hug:

Well, I must try and catch up on things around here! It's great to see everyone and I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the chapter,

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby dark_princes » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:15 am

sorry that I havent responded latly but I have to work al day long an when I get home at night i don't have any streangth left. I stil have to go for work for three weaks but keep me posted.
And i think you/ whe have to start a new thread very soon.

And yes I meant the faculty. love it.
dark_princes
Shield Bearer

Postby nienor*lalaith » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:39 am

Yay, a new thread soon!! Should we call it:

'Kevin is not swoonable, but Frodo is'

'Hooligan Hobbit'

The amazing adventures of...ok, ok, I'm just kidding. You guys always come up with snappy names, so I'll leave it up to one of you. :wink:

I saw a little interview/clip of Hooligans on the Elijah Illusions website, it was nice to finally see some footage of it besides that weird teaser trailer. I do hope it gets picked up by a US distributor. Sin City I am certain now that it will come here to my theaters, since comercially it seems to be doing quite well, and my theater always brings the box office films instead of the indies first (Eternal Sunshine was on here for only one week - I was surprised it came on at all).

I wish I could say that I wouldn't pay a ridiculous price for an autograph or an souvenir of some sort, but I did pay $250 USD for a rare unreleased music album by my favorite band once, so maybe I would, if I managed to get the money. :twisted:

Well, I should be going. I have a meeting at work today, classes to plan, and a big horrible test tomorrow. Lucky me.
~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby mechtild » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:35 pm

nienor wrote,

Yay, a new thread soon!! Should we call it:

'Kevin is not swoonable, but Frodo is'

'Hooligan Hobbit'

The amazing adventures of...ok, ok, I'm just kidding. You guys always come up with snappy names, so I'll leave it up to one of you.

Heavens! You are right, nienor!
It is time for a new thread.
There are only two more posts left on this one. We could make a title out of your suggestions, neinor, couldn't we? It has to have "Frodo/Elijah" in it, though, that's a given.

How about, "The NOT Kevin, but ALL-Frodo/Elijah Swoon Thread"?

Or, "The Frodo/Elijah is Illuminated Swoon Thread" (anticipating August too much?)

Or, "The Frodo/Elijah Swoon Thread: Hooligan Hobbit of the Sinful Shire"

Come on, everyone, ideas!

dark_princes, I am sorry to hear you have been so overwhelmed! I hope you get a breather soon and can post again.

Speaking of persons from whom we haven't heard in a while but where-the-heck-are-they, where's Tex? For you who get around the board more, has anyone seen her posting?

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Bree379 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:10 pm

I always get so nervous posting when it's this close to the end of the thread! One of those unexplainable fears I guess. Maybe I'm scared that while I'm posting two more people will post and I'll be the 301st post... thereby breaking the rules!! <<DISCLAIMER WHEN i BEGAN TYPING THIS POST THERE WERE ONLY 298 POSTS IN THE THREAD>>

There I feel a little better now, I can post like a normal human being again. ;)

I rather like the suggested titles that mention Kevin, as that is currently the most prominent EW project! :) We should save Everything Illuminated for August, I should think.

But at the same time, I can't think of anything helpful for a title. Sorry guys, I'm brain dead at the moment!

And Mech, I've got nothin' else on Hooligans, and trust me, I've been keepin' my eyes open. If I was anywhere near Tribeca though...

It's good to see you dark_princess! Sorry you're so busy! I hope you're enjoying what you're doing though.

Welll ladies, I'm anticipating the new thread! No matter what it is, you can be sure I'll be there! :)

p.s. I haven't seen Tex anywhere around, but then, I only ever post here! If you're out there Tex, I hope things are going well!!
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:10 pm

Texas hobbit has not logged into TORc since March 19th. I don't know any more than that. (Why do I feel like a stalker now???)

I have no qualms about breaking rules...but then, I also expect the consequences (like speeding tickets, grrrr...)

If a thread runs over by a post or two, it's not a big deal, right?

Okay, so the next poster gets to open some variation of The 'Kevin is not swoonable' Frodo/Elijah thread....

Oh, and of course, the Quest of Frodo thread has reached a new chapter. We are now on 'A Shortcut to Mushrooms', hanging out with Farmer Maggot. I'll do a proper ad in the new thread ;).
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Daefaroth » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:08 pm

There is no harm if a thread goes over the 300 mark by a few.

But it is time for a new thread.

Who will take the honour of starting a new home for Frodo fans?
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Fandom Archives