The "Kevin-is-not-swoonable-but-ELIJAH/FRODO-is" SwoonThread

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Postby Ereshkigal » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:32 am

Wendy, I'm so glad you are okay. My heart really goes out to the Londoners particularly and the British in general. I'm terribly impressed by the bravery and "stiff upper lip"--ness I'm seeing on CNN. I really like one elderly man's assertion that if all everyday life stops after such a disaster then the evil people have won.

The first time my family travelled after 9/11 and a security guard searched my daughter's backpack (she and my husband were pulled out of line in a random security check) and she was standing there with tears in her eyes, I realized that in a way, the terrorists had won in America. I've avoided flying ever since--not because I'm afraid of getting blown up, but because I'm afraid of being arrested for attacking a security guard that's making my little girl cry. :x

I'm back from vacation, BTW. We had a wonderful time vacationing at the Isle of Palms, a barrier island off the coast of Charleston, SC. I love swimming in the ocean, body-surfing and boogie-boarding, and eating good meals with my family. I missed my husband, though--he has started a new (and much better) job, but because he is the newest member of the group he has last say on when his time off occurs. He'll be able to go next year, though.

I'm really happy about the GSH news--there is a college town within a driveable distance with a movie theatre that often runs films the big distributors won't touch. I'll have to make sure I watch their schedule during September. Maybe even e-mail them. Hmmm.

And here's my Green Day quote for today:

I'm a conscientious objector from the war within my mind

"Castaway," Warning.
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maewyn » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:08 am

Hello Everyone.

Talking as I was on Everything is Illuminated and Happy Feet last night, I found this article, linked by BunnieBugs in K-D today. It includes two short video interviews with Elijah.

Maewyn, how's your back feeling? I hope things are improving.

It has its moments, Tex. Last Saturday, it was the worst it's been to date, but since then it's improved. I still have twinges, but it's not that bad *keeps fingers crossed!*

It sounds like you're deep into sprucing up your home (sounds like a lot of hard work!). However, there's nothing quite like the feeling of achievement when the job has been finished! *Looks around at my house...* mmm... wilts :|

Maewyn :)
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby AquilaChrysaetos » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:23 am

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry I haven't been on in ages, I've been so busy with exams that I've hardly had time to come online at all. My exams are all finished now though and I've been lurking for a little while.

Tex - Wow, I was surprised that I've been remembered after being away for so long. Thanks for your concern. I, and my family are all fine, but very lucky too. My dad just recently changed jobs and doesn't work in London any more, and my Auntie was already at work when the bombs went off, although she was very near to the explosion at Tavistock Square.

Wendy - I'm glad you're okay, I was worried that you might not be. We all seem to have been quite lucky. I agree, there does seem to be a wartime feel about London. By the way, I also have an LJ, although I'm not very good at posting on it. I'll leave the addy in case you feel like popping in:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/frazzylou/
I've forgotten how to do all the linky things so if it's not right then I'll need to be corrected!

Well, I have to be off. Going to a friend's gig. But I hope to see you all again soon. Byee
~Aqi~
AquilaChrysaetos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:32 pm

Thank-you everyone...
Lady Larian, Maewyn, Lembas, Tex, Eresh, Aquila...

For your kind words for my London-town, and it is very true, Londoners are carrying on with that famous Stiff Upper Lip, and going about their business as near normally as possible...
Yesterday morning, the tube system was almost empty. In the height of
the rush hour, there were only two or three people in each carriage...Not a surprise really, but I do think that many people just took the day off, being a Friday...and apparently, by about 8.30, the tubes were quite crowded as normal...
We think that many people decided to go into work a little later to avoid the rush hour, and thus creating a later one !! :roll:
Oh well...

For those of you who haven't seen a picture of the bus that was blown up, go here :-

Bombed out bus

Think how crowded this bus must have been, with all the people who had just been evacuated off the tube because of the first two bombs...
Eye-witness accounts are very horrific indeed, with tales of bodies being thrown up in the air and torn apart etc...( I won't go into too many gory details, for the sake of the more squeamish amongst you, suffice to say that anybody who survived that must be feeling VERY lucky today !! )

As luck would have it, this bus was blown up outside the British Medical Association, who were starting a conference inside the building...and so you had about twenty or so Doctors on hand almost immediately...bad timing on the bombers part !!
Yesterday, the rescue workers were also trying to sift through the wreckage of the three Tube trains that were blown up in underground tunnels...hundred degree heat, and the threat of the tunnel collapsing just added to the stress of digging out body parts from underneath twisted metal...you get the picture !!
For anyone who has travelled on the London Tube system in the rush hour, you know how crowded the trains get...standing room only, like sardines...quite easy to leave a bag on the floor and get off at the next station, without anyone noticing, and I defy anyone to say that the security should have been better...How do you stop this ?

London, yesterday morning, had the air of spirited resistance about it, with everyone determined to get to work as normal, and by next week, we will have our transport system up and running fully again...

So thank-you again for all your concern...it has been heart-warming how many people from all over the World have been focussed on this...I guess everyone knows a Londoner !!
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Scarlet » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:31 am

Hi fellow Frodo-friends, just dropping in to tell the Brits I'm thinking of them. London feels much too close to home, even though it's on the other side of the planet. Don't know what to say ... must be time for a :grouphug:.
Scarlet
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:57 pm

I have returned!

(Today, in the morning. Now it is night, post-shopping, chores and family dinner.)

With Scarlet, I have been extremely worried about our fellow-fans in the UK.

Thank you , Aquila, for responding as to whether our "UK people" were all right. And thank you for the link to your LJ! I hope your work has slacked off for the summer.

As for the other UK people, I plan to email Delphinus. She is from the West Country, but she hasn't posted since the "Man of Middle Earth" pagaent last fall. There's no reason to worry, I am sure. But England is not like the U.S. in terms of geographical hugeness, so I will send her a note; I have an email address for her, though I am not absolutely sure it is good any more.

Lady Wendy, I am thrilled to hear you are ok. I made entries into your LJ, with similar messages along these lines, but I think your countrymen ("persons"?) are terribly impressive. I will repeat some of what I just posted at the UK-based K-D (Khazad-dum):

I want to say how relieved I was to open the threads for the first time this afternoon and read that no LotR thread-friends were hurt in the London bombing. The attacks happened while I was at my mother's, with no internet. I was plagued with worry that Lady Wendy or someone else we know who lived in the London area might have been hurt of killed or (when I came to think of it) that others of you might have been in town at that moment, or had loved ones there who were injured or missing.

I must say, I was terribly impressed and proud of the way Londoners and UK citizens in general handled it. It was so ... "English." (My mother is an English WWII warbride, so she, too, was puffing out her bosom over the response of Britain and its people.) Except for our Sept. 11, which was on such a massive scale even petty criminals were stunned into temporary inactivity, this would not have been the scenario in my own country. At least, I suspect that to be so. When there have been black-outs or riots or natural disasters, while there have been incidents of great heroism and selfless behaviour, there usually also was a mushrooming of opportunistic crime, acts of retribution, widespread suspicion and fearfulness ... and just the sort of "every one for himself" hunkering-down that leads to less stellar civic behaviour. On the vacation I saw several films. I thought the depiction of the people's reactions in the recent "War of the Worlds" wasn't too far off the mark. But in London, it sounded as if people shrugged their shoulders, refused to be driven to panic or scapegoat; as if to say, "Well, this is the reality of what we have to deal with, so we will simply have to carry on -- and we will." Very hobbity, no? :p

Here, I suspect there would be yet another rush to buy new home defense systems, stockpile provisions and more guns. I am painting it too starkly, I am sure, in order to make a point; but I thought the difference striking, reading the responses of public and private Britons.

Ereshkigal
, I sympathize with your remarks about the security measures which gave your daughter yet more fear. Did you ever watch, "Bowling for Colombine" by Michael Moore....? 8) :wink:

Maewyn, your back is still being a bother? I am very sorry to hear that. I have been having my own health bothers, but they are minor in comparison. You have been enduring a real nuisance. How are you doing now?

P.S. I saw three films at my daughter's behest during our two weeks away: War of the Worlds, Cinderella Man, and Batman Begins. All of them had much to recommend them. Yet, they all were .... "inconsequential" ... compared with LotR.

I still can't believe how great those films were, flaws and all.

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:56 am

Hello everyone.

Welcome back, Mechtild! I hope you had an enjoyable holiday with your family.

My back's been fine for the last few days, and I'm thinking positively that it will stay that way! :)

Waves to Scarlet and Aquila (glad you're OK too!) Long time no see.

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:06 pm

Maewyn! *smooch* :hug:

I feel as though I have been away for ages. I am so glad to hear your back is a bit better, Maewyn. Is it winter-ish there yet (such as you experience winter in Perth)?

And hello to Tex, Ereshkigal, Lembas, Scarlet, Wendy, Aquila, Wilma and Lady Larien! Hi, MithLuin, Estë, Ruby Sandybanks (where have you been??), Autumnelf, and ceefour!

Did I forget anyone?

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Delphinus » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:21 am

Hello everyone, long time no see and all that!

I just received a very heartwarming email from Mechtild which prompted me to post after lurking for so long. (I can't believe I haven't posted since MOME!) I wasn't in London the day of the attacks luckily, but like everyone else was horrified by what I saw. I am so happy that no-one here was hurt. I too have been impressed with the way everyone has been coping. Last night I went to see REM in concert (which was AMAZING) and they dedicated their song 'Everbody Hurts' to the people of London. It was so moving it made me cry, with everyone singing along and a ginormous cheer at the end - it was just so hopeful.

I still enjoy reading all your posts, but unfortunately I've changed jobs so I can no longer spend any time at work posting and reading as much as I used to, and my home internet time seems to be at a premium! :(

I'm much looking forward to Everything is Illuminated and I've read the snippets here with interest - sounds like a big woohoo is going to be in order for our Elijah!

:grouphug: to everyone, this is still my favourite thread on the internet!
Delphinus
Shield Bearer

Postby Maewyn » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:20 am

Hello Everyone.

Delphinus! Great to hear from you! It certainly has been a long time (since some wonderfully dodgy RPing in MOME!) Go Frodo!

Mechtild - Oh yes, it's certainly winter now! Last week the temperature got down to 0.5C as I was getting into my car to go to work. To me THAT'S COLD! My fingers are freezing until my car's heater kicks in about 5 minutes down the road! I know that's small bikkies to you, but we're not acclimatised to these temperatures!

My back behaved itself this weekend, and I actually felt "normal" for a change!

To get back on topic, here's a SW :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: N for Frodo!

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Estë-Tangletoes » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:25 am

Many :grouphug: to all at TORC. I’m very pleased that all here are safe and sound.

Estë
Estë-Tangletoes
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:09 am

Hello, Fellow Sw00ners! :)

This morning, I flipped my page-a-day LOTR calender and this was the picture that came up.

Remember when you first-ever saw that scene? It was a great moment. I'm a gal who takes the movies for just the movies, and the books are the books, so I wasn't upset at the change - but I was spellbound as I watched in the silent theatre, as Slo Mo Fro offers up the Ring to Mr. Naz. *whew*! I love the music from that scene, too.

And besides, our Frodo looks an absolute dear as he gives it up - see? :angel:

Everyone's doing the LJ thing these days, I wonder if I should try, too? :) I always get confused when I see a poster who has typed "LJ" on the screen; it's what some people call me here on TORC, so seeing those letters always catches my eye, then I say "You silly, they mean a different LJ!" :rofl:
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_Larien » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:02 am

Wow thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!! I can't believe you remember me coming here mechtild and Tex!!! lol I used to be a frequent visitor oops! :whistle:

Hope all your Floridians are hunky dorey down there in the water!! Please be careful!

Quick S W :heart: :love: :heart: :love: :heart: :love: N for Elijah and his sweetness!! *isn't he just the sweetest nicest guy ever!? I mean really!*
Lady_Larien
Rider of the Mark

Postby AquilaChrysaetos » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:11 pm

Heyo again, just a legal drive by 'cos it's late. (yes, I passed my test in april!)

Mech - Yes, thankfully my workload has completely slacked off to nothing! I'm a free, but extremely bored, agent until mid september. Gives me lots of time to start writing my books though. Speaking of, I've started reading Threshold, and I just have to say that it's brilliant! I think you've got the Hobbity lifestyle down excellently, and I loved the tension in the earlier chapters. Haven't got to chapter 11 yet, but I look forward to more, (unless I'm wrong in thinking that it's not finished of course). :)

Maewyn - I sympathise with your back problem. My mother has a very bad back, pretty much all of the time. I've resolved to take her swimming to try and exercise it a bit. I hope yours stays fine indefinately. :grouphug:

Delphinus - Welcome back! I've been wondering where you'd got to since MoME.

Lembas - I'd like to see the LJ of LJ, that could be very interesting. ;) Cute picture too, although I always felt he looked quite confused in this one. Is it meant to be like that, or is it just me misreading the expression?

Lady_Larien - I agree, I hope the Floridians are okay (is that what you call yourselves?). Although I heard Dennis, I think it's Dennis, the hurricane anyways, wasn't as severe as was expected. Always a good thing.
*isn't he just the sweetest nicest guy ever!? I mean really!*

On that note, I don't know if anyone's interested, but I read an interview with Marc Warren who co-stars in Hooligans and it seems that Mr Wood has been making quite an impression on his co-workers. Supposedly the two of them hit it off and Warren said of Elijah that by looking in those eyes you can tell 'he's an old soul', (Marc Warren believes in reincarnation by the way). Sorry, I couldn't remember the exact quote, but I thought that was a very nice thing for a man 14 years his senior to say about him. Lady_Larien's comment just reminded me of it. Personally I would agree with Mr Warren's assessment, and I've actually been wondering since I read the article what the rest of you might think of that. (Besides that there is a dearth of news to discuss at the moment!)

Gah, I have just seen the time! Need to be up early tomorrow. Took a bit longer than I expected.

Just a quick sw :heart: :heart: :heart: n for age and beauty. :)
Night :zzz:

~Aqi~
AquilaChrysaetos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Lady_Larien » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:51 am

*waves to all swoonettes/Frodoettes*
G'day girls! Just gotta stretch my swooning muscles.....

Well I'm not a 'Floridian' myself Aqi but that's what they're called :lol: I would be a Tennesseean. I don't really know how to spell it hehe BTW thanks for the info on that interview! That sounds so cool. Elijah just seems so professional and I'm sure that all who work with him are impressed at his maturity level. At least it seems that way to me :D :D I am a bit partial though....:love:

Lembas Junkie who is the other LJ?? I couldn't follow your link but I have a pretty good mental picture of what he looks like! :love: *sigh* :D

Hope you got enough sleep last night Aqi!! I went to bed at 12ish and got to work a little before 830. YUCK!!!! I'm definetly going to bed at 10 tonight lol yeah right!

Safe and happy sw :heart: :heart: ning to all!!!! 8) :grouphug:

~Lari~
Lady_Larien
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:29 pm

I thought I'd drop in before I go off to work. It's been a full morning and afternoon, taking our 17-year old daughter to get her four impacted wisdom teeth removed. The pain pills should be kicking in about now. She's still a little numb with gauze stuffed into the back corners of her mouth, in between attempts to eat and drink, the little schnookums.

Anyway, what a pleasure to see all those interesting posts! Lembas, it never occurred to me..."LJ" = "Lembas Junkie," but now that you mention it, I remember you being addressed as "LJ" in MOME planning threads. Ha! :lol: And I love that scene, visually, in the end of Two Towers. I just wish it hadn't given the impression that you described: that Frodo was offering up the Ring to the Nazgul lord. I read a great piece on that film scene by Magpie (I saved it, I thought it was so great), telling why she thought it was a great film moment, but in her discussion I realised Frodo was not supposed to have walked up the stairs in order to offer up the Ring, but was drawn up the stairs and then, once there, was supposed to be struggling not to put on the Ring, saved from succumbing (at the last) instant by Sam.

Estë, I was just as happy to hear that everyone at K-D was "safe and sound." Lady Larien, we have long memories around here (it's our short-term that stinks. :roll: )

Maewyn, wunderbar news on your back. You need some more Frodo piccies around the house to inspire you on the bad days. :heart: Perhaps ones of him crawling up Mt. Doom. :hug:

Delphinus, yes, I was thrilled to hear from you. I am sorry your job does not allow any fiddling around in websites; neither does mine. I have to make little notes to myself on bits of paper so that I can write them when I get home. Once I left a little bit of paper tacked up (to help me remember it) that had several NC-17 sorts of "idea notes" on it for Threshold. Thank heaven my handwriting is so terrible! I don't think anyone could tell it said anything but "Frodo blah blah blah".

But doesn't the advance word on Everything Is Illuminated sound goood? I am very excited for Elijah. Woo hoo!

Aquila, I have read of EW being called "an old soul" by others, before he ever filmed Hooligans. It must be a common impression, no? I am not sure what is meant by it other than he seems much older than his years. That is certainly so. He has his silly side, to be sure, but for the most part, he seems like a person who truly has his head firmly on his shoulders. I think perhaps having had to carry a lot of responsibility as a child on behalf of his family (with whom he seems to have a very close and good relationship, except for his father, of course) may have matured him early. But it did not sour or embitter him, which is wonderful.

P.S. I am thrilled and pleased to hear you are enjoying Threshold, especially that you got a good "feel" for the secondary world while reading it. I have tried to be true to the canon world and its language, even though I have taken the huge liberty of leading the chaste Frodo into a love affair, which Tolkien never would have done. You are right, though, it isn't even half-finished. And, alas, I am a very laborious writer. I have been working on Ch. 12 for three months and it still is not finished.

Well, I am already late for work so I must be off. AGAIN! :blush:

Again, it's great to see all these lovely posts! :clap:

~ Mechtild :)
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:04 pm

It's true; I think the reason I learned about Live Journal in the first place was from all the confusion I was going through every time someone referred to "LJ" and it obviously wasn't me they were talking about...but who else is called LJ?

But I get it now! :D

By the way, for anyone who's like to see "LJ's LJ", come on over any time!

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lembas_junkie/

Lembas :grouphug:
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:15 am

Hello Everyone.

It's lovely to see more people in here lately - Hi to Este, Aquila and Lembas.

Congratulations Lembas on your LJ. I've been pondering over whether I'll open one myself. :shock:

Maewyn, wunderbar news on your back. You need some more Frodo piccies around the house to inspire you on the bad days. Perhaps ones of him crawling up Mt. Doom.

Talking of pictures, I have an LOTR calendar on the wall hanging over the computer. It's open at the page which has a picture of Sam holding Frodo in his arms, in the scene where Frodo says he can't remember the Shire. It's totally irrelevant that the month it appears on is April! :roll: We all have our Mt Dooms to climb, don't we? My back can't seem to make up its mind lately, so I (as we all do) just have to take it one day at a time!

I have to make little notes to myself on bits of paper so that I can write them when I get home. Once I left a little bit of paper tacked up (to help me remember it) that had several NC-17 sorts of "idea notes" on it for Threshold. Thank heaven my handwriting is so terrible! I don't think anyone could tell it said anything but "Frodo blah blah blah".

:shock: I most certainly HOPE nobody could read it! :shock: :D

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:19 am

Maewyn wrote:
I have to make little notes to myself on bits of paper so that I can write them when I get home. Once I left a little bit of paper tacked up (to help me remember it) that had several NC-17 sorts of "idea notes" on it for Threshold. Thank heaven my handwriting is so terrible! I don't think anyone could tell it said anything but "Frodo blah blah blah".

:shock: I most certainly HOPE nobody could read it! :shock: :D
Hey, I'll read it! :D =:) :angel:
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_Larien » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:05 am

Mechtild!!!!!! Your sig!!!!!! LOL :lol: :happydance: :D :D HILARIOUS!! tehehe

I can't go to LJ LJ hehe :( My "Access" is "Blocked". Dang computer people!! grr

Quick S W :heart: :Q :heart: :Q :heart: :Q :heart: :Q for the adorable, sweet Ringbearer!!

~Lari~
Lady_Larien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ereshkigal » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:19 pm

Yipppeeee!

I just finished another chapter, Chapter Twenty-Four. I always feel lovely after that, yes I do.

And don't worry. My sigpic will go back to normal after August 23, when I've been to the concert and will be eagerly awaiting both Everything Is Illuminated and Green Street Hooligans.

Life is good right now, so much so that I'd like to break into song, namely Green Day's one foray into country music (facetious, of course), entitled "Dominated Love Slave."

I want to be your dominated love slave
I want to be the one who takes the pain.
You can spank me when I do not behave,
'Mack me on my forehead with a chain.

'Cause I love feeling dirty,
And I love feeling cheap.
And I love it when you hurt me,
So drive those staples deep.

Yeehaw!

Edited because I suddenly can't spell.
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:06 pm

Maewyn, you have tacked up the scene where Frodo reveals to Sam he no longer has any sense memories? Oh, whaaaah! I suppose that might help your back if it doesn't make you all sniffly.

Ereshkigal, you finished ANOTHER chapter, chapter 24???? Woo hoo! :clap: Tell me, E., just to set me straight. Is "Dominated Love Slave" supposed to be funny or serious? Just curious. 8)

Lady Larien, glad you like Frodo as the satyr god, Pan. Yes, he's rather fetching in fur breeches.

Just to see if there is something amiss with Lembas Junkie's LJ settings, see if you can click the link below open. It's to my LJ "User Info" page. I remember there being some privacy setting choices when I first registered; maybe Lembas needs to re-set something. Or, are you saying your computer does this frequently, telling you "Access is Blocked"?

http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=mechtild

I read (was it here? was it at The Faculty?) that Elijah's Hooligans film will be released later than planned in England, moved to September because it will be in the Edinburgh Film Festival which happens after the original UK release date. (Did I get that right?) Well! All I can say is, Whaaaah for you Brits. :cry2: I'd be terribly disappointed. But as for me personally, I'll be happy to see it at all, since it is not going to get a wide U.S. release (the way things are looking). I do not live near a New York, Los Angeles, or Chicago type of big city, so I may never get to see it on the Big Screen (or a fairly big one).

Maewyn, Lembas, I thought your two responses to my remark you quoted (about inadvertently leaving my racy story-writing notes tacked to my work area, as reminders) very funny....

Maewyn wrote: "I most certainly HOPE nobody could read it!"
Lembas answered her: "Hey, I'll read it!"

Today I realized I had one tacked up that very legibly said, "You have a wonderfully frank body." I hope the other library workers didn't see it, thinking it's a secret note to one of them, LOL! =:)

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Ereshkigal » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:52 am

Oh Mech--Tee hee about the "wonderfully frank body" note! I'm just wondering how many people thought the note was about them! Have you noticed an increase in self-esteem around the library?

Don't worry, "Dominated Love Slave" is just a joke. It seems to be a tradition to have at least one alternative life-style represented per CD. Green Day used to be nicknamed the "Clown Princes" of music, but with Warning, they started to outgrow that moniker. And American Idiot really marks a turned corner for them. I like all their music, playful and not, but I prefer the more mature CDs.

"Dominated Love Slave" was from one of their earliest CDs (Kerplunk), before they had signed with a major label.

To get back on topic, I watched, yet again, ROTK this weekend. It is so refreshing to watch characters try their best to be brave and moral and true in an insane time and world. I couldn't help but compare Frodo's pity for Gollum to Tom Cruise's attitude toward the Tim Robbin's character in War of the Worlds. (I don't want to say more lest I ruin the movie for someone).

And to think the novel ROTK sets the bar even higher.

I'm afraid the book and the film may have ruined me for "regular" movies.

The look Frodo gives Sam as the former hangs from the ledge is just heartbreaking--and I still absolutely love the "Here at the end of all things" moment. I just wish we had another LOTR to look forward to.

Of course, I am planning to devour Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince starting Saturday!
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby Autumnelf » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:50 am

Hello at last. It has been quite busy here. Lots of things to do at work, and now my sister's kids are staying with us while my sister and her husband celebrate their wedding anniversary in Hawaii.

Wendy Lady and anyone else who lives in London, my best wishes to all of you. I was in Washington DC when the Pentagon and World Trade Centers were hit and I remember well the feeling of--violation--at what happened.

My mother is scared stiff because I'm heading to London in a couple of weeks. I'll be there for a couple of days before going to a Tolkien conference in Birmingham! :clap:

This is a little off the above subject, but it's about someone we know and love. Lately I've been thinking how sad it is that Elijah smokes. And since Josh Hartnett was the one who introduced him to it, I confess I have a VERY intense dislike of said Mr. Hartnett. Why didn't he keep his dirty, destructive habit to himself? :angry:
Autumnelf
Shield Bearer

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:35 am

Autumnelf,
How utterly cool that you are visiting Our Fair London-town, even though people are trying to cause panic and mayhem in our midst...( notice I said "trying !! " )
Do tell us when you will be here and whether we can meet up for a drink, in your probably very busy schedule ...
Do you know London at all, or are you a first-timer ?
Tell your mother that there is probably nowhere safer than our city right now, what with all the security checks going on at the mo'...Think New York on September 12th !!

Aquila and Mech
I, too, remember quite clearly reading that Elijah was described as being an old soul in a young body in an interview before...makes you think doesn't it ? I quite like the idea of reincarnation working alongside the idea of Karma, as being a stepping up process until you reach enlightenment...if that is the case, then Our Lij must be almost there, with his easy attitude and lack of hang-ups, and almost zen-like way of getting on with just about everybody...
No ego, you see...that's what it does !!

Anyway, here is the new Trailer for Hooligans, which I know you're all DYING to see...

Green Street Hooligans Trailer

You do have to register with the site to watch the trailer, but that only takes a few minutes...and then answer the questionnaire, because that may just help this film get the distribution it deserves rather than the D.I.Y. version it's got at the moment...
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:44 am

Boo hoo hoo, Wendy, as I have moaned in The Faculty, I can't watch the trailer! I'm all registered and have filled out the questions ten times, but I can't open the trailer. Everytime I select any of the format/media options to view, it says, "answer questionnaire." I do, and hit "submit," and it directs me to a screen thanking me and giving me a link to their other features. All I can do is go back and when I do, I click a media link and get, "fill out questionnaire" all over again. Whaaaah! :cry2:

Ereshkigal, I think you are being a little hard on Tom Cruise's character in that scene. I felt he was presented as trying very hard not to make the choice he made, and even that choice was a "least worst option" sort of choice. I felt he made a much more morally responsible choice than a certain Numenorean when he lopped off the head of an emmissary in a vengeful snit. (Not that book Aragorn would EVER do such a thing!) But I know what you mean about the LotR films spoiling other films for you. Other films do seem rather anti-climactic to me, even after all this time. My daughter has said the same thing, even after movies she's been panting to see this last year, and which have been quite good.

"They just seem so 'nothing' after Lord of the Rings..."

And thanks for filling me in on the ways of Green Day. They sound quite witty.

Autumnelf
, I am so jealous you are going to London and to that event! But I thrilled for you, too. Woo hoo! :P

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:37 pm

Well, Mech,
I've just revisited that trailer to check on what you may be doing wrong, if anything..
When the choices come up for the connection speed and whether you want Quicktime or Windows media, I tried Quicktime and got a result straightaway, but when I tried the Windows Media, it wouldn't start...

Above where it says "Answer questionnaire" is the trailer window, which will look black because you have to start it yourself...if its Quicktime, it should start playing...then you can answer the questions later, ( or not...if you've already answered them 10 times, I doubt whether they'll want them answered again !! )

Basically, this is a trailer you have to start yourself, with the start triangular button....
The only reason I can think of for it not functioning properly, is if you don't have Quicktime or Windows Media on your computer...
Try again....
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:06 pm

Hi, Wendy, you're a doll for trying to help. :hug: But when I click Windows Media, I get the trailer window, but the start/play button is not activated; it can't be pressed, so to speak. There is a message below it with a back arrow that says, "Answer questions."

I am linking what I get for you to look at:

http://www.uip.co.uk/premiereclub/UIP_T ... height=226

When I click Quicktime (which I KNOW we have for sure), I don't even get a trailer window; just this:

http://www.uip.co.uk/premiereclub/UIP_T ... height=196

As you can see, it also has a message below it with a back arrow, saying, "Answer guestions."

I don't get it!

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:18 pm

Mech,
When I clicked on your link to the Quicktime trailer, what I got was correct...complete with trailer window...
I don't know why you don't get the trailer bit, but try it again and again...sometimes things don't appear and then they do...( mysterious internet techno babble probably )

I just clicked on the little triangle below the black screen that says "online", the first one next to the loudspeaker symbol, and the movie will start playing...
Good luck !!
OK, here's another link for you all to try....

Amazon 10th Anniversary Concert, including LOTR footage

This link is for one day only, apparently, but try it anyway, they may keep it up for a bit longer if there are loads of people trying to download it !!

ETA : If you're looking at this on the 18th July or after, I'm afraid that it has gone...you're TOO LATE !!! :roll:

Anyway, we are up to 298 posts AGAIN !!!
So I will start a new thread, because I haven't done it in a long time...and I reckon it's my turn !!
I am going to open the new thread with something special for you all...and especially Mechtild, who thought that Elijah's love scenes in "All I Want" were....erm...somewhat lacking !!....

:twisted: :wink:
Here's the link :-

The "Waiting For Jonathan" ELIJAH WOOD Appreciation Thread
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Daefaroth » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:27 pm

If the new house is ready, I will get the lights and the door on this one.
Daefaroth
The Shadow Hunter

Previous

Return to Fandom Archives