The "Kevin-is-not-swoonable-but-ELIJAH/FRODO-is" SwoonThread

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Postby mechtild » Sat May 21, 2005 5:53 pm

Maewyn, Ereshkigal, I am so glad you liked my sig pic selection for, "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony." I love the film Bree scene, even if it is waaaay off from the book scene. It's full of drama, nuance and great Frodo bits. (Did I mention that he looks delicious in every frame? :twisted: )

Lembas, I don't want to post any more comments about Revenge of the Sith until after most of us have seen it. If most posters are like me, they can't resist discussions labelled, "Spoilers," but are sorry after they read them, since they really do spoil the surprise. I didn't mind reading Spoilers for LotR since I knew the books so well. But, since the Star Wars scenarios are original and not adaptations, part of their appeal lies in their surprise.

Suffice it to say that although I would not agree that the film equals either of the first two Star Wars films released (A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back) it is close to them in quality as story-telling, spectacle and sheer cinematic sweep. It was a coooool movie and I'm glad I saw it in a nice big theater with a good sound system. Did I think it was "great"? No. But it was "darned good," which few films are (to me). :clap:

Ereshkigal, I hope my remarks don't raise your level of expectation too high. :lol:

Lembas, as to the "reviewers" on the website you visited....

It is not at all surprising that viewers who admired Anakin were disappointed with Frodo. Frodo is a psychological hero, not a martial arts one. He knows zilch about kick-boxing, sword-duelling and so forth. It is impossible to compare Frodo (film or book, but especially film) to a swashbuckler, whether the swashbuckler is a movie Viggo, Orlando or Hayden Christensen. It would be more astute of the poster you quoted to realise she simply loves a swashbuckler. I love them, too! I adored the primal "male-vs.-male" spectacle of every duel in the Revenge of the Sith (since that is what they are, finally -- like a buck bashing into a buck, two lions or any other showdown between two male animals). But that is its own genre (duels -- males fighting males, one-on-one).

Frodo has his own duel, but it is not that easy to see. Although he bodily fought off Gollum and Sam (in the films), his real duel was internal. Either a viewer "gets" that, or he/she doesn't.

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Sun May 22, 2005 10:09 am

Wow, great posts everybody!! It reminds me why I lurked so long in these threads, and why I finally decided to post here. The discussions are so varied, and yes, intelligent (unlike alot of other message boards, right Lembas?), and I love reading them.

First of all, I just wanted to say that I loved your post, mech, about the Robert Frost poem...you definately put my thoughts about it into words.

Second....I've fallen into the Star Wars hype. I went to the midnight showing here with my cousin, and I just say it was a really great experience. We got there at maybe 10 p.m., and already the lines were outrageous. There were people dressed up, and not cheap costumes, mind you. There was a fully equipped Darth Vader, with boots, leather gloves, cape, mask...it was impressive. There were some Jedis, and a Padmé looking outfit. I had really never seen anything like it...I hear about things like that in big cities, but I never imagined that my city and my movie theater would be like that. I was suffocating in the crowd, but the wait was worth it.

We got into the theater, and there were cheers all around. There were people taking pictures of the screen. It was so neat. And above all of that, I was blown away by the movie - I wasn't expecting much at all, just a couple of entertaining hours, but I really liked the film. I am by no means the biggest Star Wars fan, but when I saw the Darth Vader mask....wow.

There were still some pretty cringe-worthy lines, especially between poor Anakin and Padmé. Still, the actors did what they could with what they were given, I suppose. Poor Natalie Portman got the worst end of the script. But Christensen improved beyond all recognition in my opinion - I found him tolerable in Clones, but he still came off like a whiny little kid who got sent to bed without dessert. The turn he takes here is so palpable, I was surprised. McGregor is always great, and in the Obi/Anakin confrontation...ok, ok I won't spoil anything else for any of you who haven't seen it yet. But I liked it, and I will definately be going back for a couple more viewings. :wink:

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby mechtild » Sun May 22, 2005 7:38 pm

nienor, your "Star Wars" report cracked me UP! They were taking pictures of the screen???? Wow! My crowd was so "regular movie" up here in Boring Land. No cool parties and costumes like where you or Lembas were for opening night.

I actually thought Natalie Portman did get to do some decent acting in this film; I thought her last scene with Mr. Bad Boy With the Pout was very well-played. I won't say more, because, as I mentioned, I think few posters can resist reading Spoilers, even though they know it will lessen their fun when they get to see it. I didn't mind ruining people's fun by posting "Spoiler" warnings for Sin City; what could spoil that? It already was a NOT pleasure to watch. :lol: (Sorry Lembas, I know you liked it a lot. :P )

Now, not to spread a pall, but some of you have been apprised of unhappy doings in my personal scene, and I may not have time to email you all. I just posted a version of this in The Harem at K-D, my other "regular hang-out".

OT personal stuff:

Because we will be going away for a few days on Tuesday and I won't be in to visit here, I'll want you to know why. Some of you have known that my husband's youngest sister has been dying of cancer. Diagnosed two years ago, it has been a very aggressive type. She died this afternoon, the day after coming home from 10 straight weeks in an ICU unit. She was 48. She had just begun a third round of last-ditch chemo, which was cut short by an emergency surgery for a non-malignant blockage. She never recovered from the surgery and the cancer took over.

Anyway, she and her husband were fed up; she wanted to die at home. But, my, it was fast. We all expected it, but she hadn't even been home 24 hours. We just had put my husband's parents on the plane this afternoon, since her husband called this morning to say he didn't think she would live until tomorrow; she had had a very difficult night. Her parents still had not been able to speak to her except when she was too medicated to remember they ever had been there. They didn't get there in time. Her husband told my mother-in-law, "I am so grateful that I finally got to lie beside her and hold her again last night. It's been ten weeks since I could hold her." Everyone is grieved, but they are glad that it was quick; she has really suffered.

What a weekend! Friedrich, our little cat, died yesterday (only four years old, but dying of cancer - I took him in to the vets' to be put down after he suddenly began to be violently ill; I was unprepared for such a dramatic turn for the worse, even though he had long become a little skeleton with fur), my sister-in-law died today. Cancer really is as mindlessly vicious as Shelob, devouring the light that is the life of lovely people and animals.

Here is a picture of my sister-in-law with her husband and son. She and her husband were very happy together; a rarity, I sometimes think (my own family has rather unhappy marriages, except for me; I don't know how I lucked out). This was taken only four years ago, when she was forty-four, on their vacation (those are the Alps).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/mechtild/CarolCleavyColeJune2001-Alps.jpg

I wonder if it was "fate," that our little cat should die "just in time," so to speak. He was like the forerunner. As for me, I really am fine. It's been a shock, and a sorrow, but we have been long prepared -- and made more than willing to let her go by the extremity of her suffering. I am sure she was more than content to be allowed to slip away at last.

Last reflection: on Frodo's death.

When I see these grisly sorts of drawn-out dyings (and I am sure most of you have your share of these stories in the circle of your families and friends; perhaps you have had cancer yourselves or battle it now!), I am again taken with what a truly merciful and beautiful end Tolkien gave to Frodo. Not only did he enable Frodo to leave, in order to receive a measure of healing while he lived, he was given the gift of being able to lay down his life when he felt it was time, before he had become utterly ravaged by disease or the toll of years. Frodo was given a great honour and a wondrous gift in this. It makes me far less sad when I think of it that way, instead of dwelling on my own sense of sorrow over the loss of him.

~ Mechtild
Last edited by mechtild on Tue May 24, 2005 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Mon May 23, 2005 6:56 am

Mechtild - please accept my :hug: along with my sympathy for what you're going through now. A double dose of death is twice as hard to endure. :cry2:

We'll keep your place here until you get back. :|

Maewyn :)
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Mon May 23, 2005 8:32 am

Maewyn, :hug: back to you, you sweetie-pie. We fly tomorrow and will return on Thursday. You wrote,

We'll keep your place here until you get back.

Heavens, no! -- please don't do that! :D I hope to return to some juicy, swoony posts! Seriously, this thread is such a pleasure for me - for the comraderie, the insights and the enjoyment - I look forward to opening it again. So carry on, swooners! :horse:

See you soon,

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Tue May 24, 2005 9:17 am

Mech, how awful! I am glad she was able to be at home, with her husband, but still, it must have seemed so sudden. Or maybe it is just that death always takes me by surprise. I somehow don't expect people to die...even if they are sick, or very old. I remember being shocked when I came home from work one day and my little brother came out to tell me that our "Aunt Mary" had died - she was 98 (really, our great-great-aunt). The news still floored me. I have attended far more funerals than weddings, but I guess it just never seems normal.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope you all are able to say goodbye now, and begin to heal. Safe travels!
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Ereshkigal » Tue May 24, 2005 3:17 pm

Oh Mechtild,

I'm so so sorry for Carol's death--not for her, but all the sad people she will leave behind. She certainly "did not go gently into that good night" until she knew her fight was over. She sounds like she was a very brave person. Please give all of her family my condolences, and you know you have mine for yourself as well. God bless you all.

I'm also really sorry to hear about your cat. I lost one of my cats to cancer almost two years ago now, and his sister is now slowly dwindling. These cats adopted us just a year after my husband and I were married (18 years ago Monday, as a matter of fact) and were our first children. I really know how it feels to lose such a comforting little friend.

We'll look forward to your return.

Love,

Eresh
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby Autumnelf » Wed May 25, 2005 10:25 am

I feel like a heel coming in with the flippant giddiness that I had a dream about Elijah last night. I can't remember the details of it, though.

on a serious note:
Truly, my heart goes out to you and your family Mechtild, at this time.
Autumnelf
Shield Bearer

Postby Texas-hobbit » Wed May 25, 2005 11:52 pm

Oh, Mech, I'm so sorry for the loss your family has just endured. For your brother-in-law's sake, I'm glad he had one last night to have his wife home with him. It sounds as if hers was a life well-lived and will be lovingly remembered by those who knew her. And poor Frederich. I remember you worked valiantly to help him get better. I know you will miss him. :hug: We will all be thinking of you during this time.

In a little over a week, I should have some more free time available (yay!) and should be able to take part in a real conversation. In the meantime, I will enjoy trying to read through all the intriguing discussions you all seem to have been having about a myriad of topics: films, character comparisons, etc. It all looks quite interesting. Just wanted to pop in and say hello during this little lurking moment. :)
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Thu May 26, 2005 5:57 am

Hello Everyone.

A big hello to you, Tex. It's nice to see you again! I hope you can come back in here and join us when RL gives you a break. :roll:

Autumnelf - I had one of those dreams once, but I forgot it too! :|

Ereshkigal - Happy belated Anniversary!

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Thu May 26, 2005 1:30 pm

A bath feels like heaven after a long day's work. 8) Aaaah. So, Someone had a dream about EW, eh? And they're not sharing it? Must've been naughty, hee hee!

We miss you, Mech! :hug:
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Fri May 27, 2005 6:45 am

Autumnelf, Eresh, Maewyn, Lembas, MithLuin, Tex -- Thanks for your kind thoughts and prayers during a hard time. But now I'm back and hope to be back "in gear" soon. :grouphug:

But never mind all that for now! LOOK what just arrived in my email box! :shock: :) :D I simply had to dash over here to copy and paste this in the thread. Remember how we have been wondering about whether Naz (NazgulRus) had ever had her baby or not....? Well, wonder no more! :P

From Naz, this morning:

Hello friends! I'm writing to you from the computer in my hospital room to let you know that our world has been made a brighter and richer place due to the arrival of Zachary Luke, born May 26 at 5:45 pm. He was 7pounds 15 oz (exactly Leah's weight!) and 20 inches. He's got a head of brownish hair and of course is the most beautiful baby in the world!

I'm doing fine after an actual full night's sleep. We induced labor and it took 10 hours to convince Zachary to come out, but then ONE push was all it took. Greg and his folks are giving Leah the extra love she needs and I'll go home tomorrow, saying goodbye to the "actual full night's sleep" for a long time.

Blessings to all. Pictures will follow soon!

Woo Hoo! :drink:

Congratulations, Naz! :clap:
And welcome, Zachary Luke!!!!! :hug:

-- Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Fri May 27, 2005 9:04 am

What wonderful news! Congratulations, NazgulRUs! I'm glad Mommy and Baby are doing well.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised if we don't see her around here very often....
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Autumnelf » Fri May 27, 2005 10:35 am

HOORAY for Naz!!!! Congratulations! and Welcome Zachary!
Autumnelf
Shield Bearer

Postby Ereshkigal » Fri May 27, 2005 1:44 pm

Congrats, Naz! I'm now a permanent auntie no longer capable of new momhood, but I remember that wonderful, cuddly time. Sigh.

Age 4, BTW, was a good age to introduce LOTR, in my children's case.

We're off, soon, to finally, finally see Revenge of the Sith. I'm looking forward to the family date almost as much as the movie.

Happy Memorial Day weekend, everyone. Drive safely.
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Fri May 27, 2005 5:44 pm

Ereshkigal, I hope you enjoy Revenge of the Sith tremendously!

Mith, Autumnelf, other interested parties; here are a couple of links to photos Nazzie sent me of the new baby, Zachary Luke, born May 26, 2005. (The bigger child is Nazzie's Leah).

#1:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/ ... 5birth.jpg

#2:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/ ... 05-ish.jpg

Cute piccies, ey?

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Sat May 28, 2005 1:13 am

Hello Everyone.

Welcome back Mechtild, and thank you for passing on Naz's wonderful news! I'm glad all went well for her and her new baby boy. Please pass on my congratulations to her!

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ereshkigal » Sat May 28, 2005 6:40 am

Wow, I love the pics of Naz and family. They are just lovely, all of them. Sigh.

As for Revenge of the Sith--I was pretty underwhelmed, as they say. I liked the first 20 minutes tremendously, but once they started talking, the movie went downhill. I wish Lucas could have gotten Lawrence Kasdan to write the dialogue for him (that was the writer on The Empire Strikes Back, still my favorite and heads and shoulders above the rest). I never really bought Anakin's reason for his turn to the darkside, either.

Still, there were some wonderful echoes to the original three in the end, and I found myself slightly verklempt when Luke's aunt and uncle stand with their new charge looking at the some double-sunset that Luke will gaze at when he makes his decision to join Obi Wan Kenobi in the original film. I was also surprisingly touched when they played Leia's theme at the end.

Worth seeing, but I'm sort of glad these new ones are done with, so I won't have to be disappointed any more. :P

I did have a wonderful time with my husband and our two girls, however. I love going on family dates.
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby MithLuin » Sat May 28, 2005 2:19 pm

I just saw Revenge of the Sith as well. I had seen the first 20 min. as a sneak preview, because my brother (silly boy) got ahold of a pirated copy of it. I was going ballistic on Wed. telling him he couldn't play it, because I would not watch the movie for the first time on our TV with a counter running in the top corner! So, he humored me and turned it off after the initial action sequence wrapped up.

I have to agree, that is the best part, because we get to see Anakin and Obi-wan working together as a team. It's almost like Qui-gon and Obi-wan again. Of course, that doesn't last. ...

So, I forget, who else still has to see it? I don't want to delve into discussing it, unless I was the last one....

It is an odd feeling. I was exhilirated watching it. I agree that a lot of the Anakin/Padme stuff is clunky. As in the previous one, Obi-wan is by far my favorite character. But...it's funny. I am strangely depressed to see him fail, to see Anakin turn. I honestly didn't think that would be my response to this movie. I know it ends on a depressing note, but, well....I didn't think it would be like this. I wonder if part of me is just sad that this is it, there are no more Star Wars movies. There are the books, of course, but, well.... I missed a rather important line, so I will be listening for it more closely when I see it again on Monday. ;)

The lightsaber duels are awesome. They've gotten so fast that it really is just a blur of light sometimes. Someone said that there really aren't any surprises, and that is (mostly) true. The story is seamlessly woven in with the other movies, so it all hangs together...mostly. I did think a couple of things were odd little twists, but even they fit.

Edit: Oh, I forgot a few things. After seeing the movie, I went to the grocery store. Let me tell you, it is rather a surreal experience to be pushing around a grocery cart with the Imperial March pounding in your head. I felt the need to smile at the people I saw, because I was afraid of what look was naturally on my face. I hope I didn't resemble a Sith Lord!

That being said, reading this story when I got back from the store was also quite disturbing. Hopefully, I will get out of surreal-movie-mode soon! Otherwise my mother will start asking me what's wrong... ;) A friend of mine (well, really, a friend's sister) will be in the next graduating class, so really, I bear them no ill will. It's just...in the context of Sith, it makes you think.
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Texas-hobbit » Sat May 28, 2005 11:27 pm

Nazzers! Congratulations! :clap: :clap: :happydance: :happydance: We'd all been wondering if baby had arrived, safe and sound. What a doll and how wonderful you look! I know you are so busy, but we're happy you've shared this news with us! :hug:

Good to see you back, too, Mech. :hug: I hope you have had a chance to rest after your trip. And I agree with you when you said "every frame" of the Bree sequence is a delectable Frodo feast. I especially love the dewy, closed eyelashes as he strokes the ring. A work of art, that face is. :lol:

Thanks for the welcome back, Maewyn I read a few pages back that you are working two jobs! :shock: I don't know how you have time to make it in here as often as you do. I'm glad you do, though. :) I will be having some extra time soon to hang out here a little bit without staying up until 2:00 a.m. (as I"m doing now) to log in.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the discussions of Kingdom of Heaven and, now, Revenge of the Sith. I saw the former, but will not likely see Sith until it pops up on TV somewhere. I like the first 2 Star Wars "original" films which I saw sometime in the early 80's, (I'm confused about what all their names and numbers are :oops: ) and have only seen segments of the "new" first two on tv. From what I saw of the most recent ones and the trailer for the newest one, I just don't have a strong desire to see it. And I have never been able to divorce Yoda's voice from Kermit the Frog's. Sorta ruins the impact. My sis went this weekend, though, and liked it very much. She's a pretty big fan. When I do see it, it will be interesting to compare and contrast our heroes and villians, Tolkien vs Lucas.

nienor, it's good news to hear you think Hayden Christenson did a better job in this film. I was not impressed with what I saw of him in the earlier films, but understand he has done quite well in other films. I wonder if it's Lucas' direction that makes the difference. Maybe it's the script. Anyway, I'm happy for the fans who wanted this one to bring some depth and closure to their beloved series. It sounds as if the showings you went to were a blast! :P

Eresh, congrats on 18 years! That's wonderful! :)

miles2go, what a treat it is to see your name on these pages once again. Of course we remember you and have often speculated about where you might be off to. Please come again!

And on that note, before I give a hearty swoon for our favorite heroic hobbit, I will say hello to a few other friends whom I, at least, haven't seen in a while:

Bree, Hadara, Aquila, Chickenlegs, Arwen13sel, ForFrodo, Wilma, RubyS and RubyG., Sidonzo, Fairfolk, daronisgod, Delphinius, Honeyelf, Wendy, Scarlet and Laureanna. I'm sure when I've slept a little, I'll look at this and remember several more names. And added to that, there is plenty of room for any who read this thread occasionally, but who have not stopped in to say hello. We'd love to get to know you, so come on in!

I'll close with a big swoooon for our dear Frodo. Would you believe I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch the Extended version of RotK since I bought it last Dec.? I have only skipped through, moving forward to the new or to the extended scenes. One of my summer indulgences will be to watch it from beginning to end, hopefully without becoming as upset as I did in Dec. :P
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Sun May 29, 2005 12:22 am

Hi ladies...
I haven't really dropped off the face of the Earth !!! :shock:

I have, however, been away on holiday to St.Ives, in Cornwall - my annual holiday away from work and the One Husband, with my Mum - you may remember the beautiful pictures of said resort that I posted last year when we went there....

Anyway, I am back, refreshed and revitalised, and, my, haven't things been busy whilst I've been away !!!...

Mechtild
Firstly, I must offer my sincere condolences to you, Mech...losing one family member in a week is bad enough, but to lose two is downright unfair...

Here, have a hug from across the great divide :-

:hug:

Your sister-in-law must have been very brave, and, indeed, her husband too, in the face of unbelievable adversity...may she be at peace now at last...

And your little Friedrich !!! :cry: ...

How very short his little life has been....well, short but happy and comfortable, in the circumstances...never forget that we do a lot in return for their companionship, these pets !! If it hadn't been for you, he would have died a long while ago...

Secondly, I really must say this :-

MANY CONGRATULATIONS, NAZ !!!

How lovely....I'm so glad that you had your baby safely and well..
I shall have a little toast on your behalf !!!

:drink:

Mithluin

So, I forget, who else still has to see it?

Well, I haven't seen it yet :roll: ...but I do like the spoiler discussions, so don't mind me !!! Carry on...

It sounds to me like this film will go some way towards making up for the shortcomings of the last one...and I totally agree with you, Mech with your impressions of Natalie Portman as the Queen Padme...I thought that this pouty little teenager couldn't possibly have been elected as Queen ( ie political and spiritual ) leader of the Galactic Empire...what on Earth, did she do to deserve that ??? Yes, what was George Lucas thinking...

Well, I'll tell you what he was thinking :-

Cast a couple of young good-looking teenagers in the lead roles, and you'll have that Holy Grail, that Mecca that all film-makers are seeking - Guaranteed Box-office Success - because all the new Star Wars fans, mostly teenage boys ( ! ) will have two people they can really relate to and identify with... :roll:

It's the old story isn't it...Hollywood just can't see past it's own perceived demographic target audiences...look at LOTR...there are simply shedloads of reviewers and critics who still think that the main audience for Fantasy/Science fiction is aged between twelve and twenty-five, nerdy, spotty, undoubtedly wearing glasses with tape holding the frames together, and overwhelmingly MALE !!! The sort who spend their days either playing computer games that involve scary star-battles of some kind, painting their tiny action figures for their ridiculously huge table-top war-games, or spending hours and hours with their like-minded friends playing out the Star Wars scenario in a deeply uninteresting Role-playing game of some kind !!!
The kind of people who desperately need a lead role that they can identify as someone they would like to be, playing alongside a female star that they would love to s**g, if you get my drift :D :D :D!!!
And that means two stars who are the right age, the right nationality, ie American ( for some unknown reason ) and, indeed, unbelievably good-looking....

Can you tell I'm a little unhappy at being grouped along with this demographic as a Fantasy film fan... :roll: :D :D

And, yes, Queens don't get elected...they inherit thrones...we should know, over here :roll:

I expect we'll see it this weekend sometime, especially as this is a Bank Holiday Weekend for us over here...and that usually means a constant downpour, but at least we don't have to go to work on monday...
Hurray !!! :clap:

Hi to you too., Tex...

It's so nice to hear from people who don't post that often, now and then, and when I read your list of all the people who post here, be it occasionally or often, I was struck at just how many people drop in here for a chat now and then...amazing isn't it ?
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Texas-hobbit » Sun May 29, 2005 12:49 am

Hi, Wendy! You've motivated me to re-log back in! I was just shutting things down, but it's a rare thing to make a real time post these days, isn't it? I, myself, have been gone for long stretches of time, because of RL obligations. That will ease up somewhat in a couple of weeks.

I well remember your photos from last year! The windswept beach, the lovely cottages near where you were staying. Will you have a chance to share again this year and render us all utterly jealous?

I hope you will find some aspects of the film rewarding. They were running episodes 1 and 2 on tv the weekend of the Stars Wars release and I kept it on as I went about the house doing chores. What struck me about Natalie Portman's and H. Christendon's (sp?) performance (beyond the vapid dialogue), was the monotone in the delivery. I almost thought, not knowing their backstory very well, that they were supposed to be clones or androids or something. Her voice, especially, was annoying. She is beautiful, though; I saw a recent picture of her bald and she was still lovely. It's too bad the standards you explain above are almost universally true. Think of what a Kate Winslett could have done with such a role. I'm sure you have other actors in mind who could have been more believeable in these roles.

Anyway, I hope you come away satisifed. Have a great time! :)
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Sun May 29, 2005 6:18 pm

I know it's a little late, but I want to send a big congratulations to Naz on the new addition to the family. :)

This is a little late too, but mech, I'm really sorry to hear about your sister-in-law and your little cat Friedrich. But you expressed this so beautifully:
When I see these grisly sorts of drawn-out dyings.... I am again taken with what a truly merciful and beautiful end Tolkien gave to Frodo. Not only did he enable Frodo to leave, in order to receive a measure of healing while he lived, he was given the gift of being able to lay down his life when he felt it was time, before he had become utterly ravaged by disease or the toll of years. Frodo was given a great honour and a wondrous gift in this. It makes me far less sad when I think of it that way, instead of dwelling on my own sense of sorrow over the loss of him.

The way you put it, it lessens the weight of hard times a bit. I get this wonderful, bittersweet feeling whenever I read/see/think about the Grey Havens and such...I find Frodo's final journey so heartbreaking, but so healing also. To find a way to let go... he was able to do that. And I'm glad. When my grandfather died after months of being on dialysis and slowly shutting down, his wife (he remarried after a divorce and adopted two young kids) asked me if I wanted to write a letter to him, and said they would bury the letter with him. I wanted to say so much, but in the end I realized that by saying that in his life he did so much, and would always be remembered for it, and loved...it's always enough. And Frodo would always be remembered, and loved as well.

Changing the subject a bit again....
Texas-hobbit wrote:nienor, it's good news to hear you think Hayden Christenson did a better job in this film. I was not impressed with what I saw of him in the earlier films, but understand he has done quite well in other films. I wonder if it's Lucas' direction that makes the difference. Maybe it's the script. Anyway, I'm happy for the fans who wanted this one to bring some depth and closure to their beloved series. It sounds as if the showings you went to were a blast!

You know, I was hoping the swooner in me wasn't talking when I was praising Christensen's performance (I have a thing for angsty guys...'bring on the angst', that's my motto! :wink: ), but after my second Sith viewing, I really do think he did a good job. His performance in Clones did leave a little to be desired, but I think he's come a long way since then. Although I haven't seen some of his other performances which were very well recieved (he got a Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild nominations for his performance in the movie Life as a House, and I heard good things about Shattered Glass), now I plan to. I hope I can pop in another Sith viewing before I leave for Texas (Tex, we'll be in the same state! :P ), because movie tickets are almost half the price here.

I am leaving for my yearly summer job(s) this weekend, but I hope I can still find some time to pop in here from time to time. I will make sure I find time. :)

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby miles2go » Mon May 30, 2005 7:35 am

My good friends,
How you inspire me to marathon posts--posts that I do not have the time to make! Your topics are the topics nearest and dearest to my heart--Frodo, LOTR, Star Wars and most of all Family. These are the things which cause passion to swell my heart and words to spill out of my mouth (or keyboard)--often in a tidal wave that someone needs to dam up. But you are always patient and kind and I thank you for that.

Oh, Mech--what could I possibly say to you that you have not already offered to us to comfort us in our grief for you? I saw my cousin yesterday whose battle with cancer lurks behind every tree and post, poised to steal her from us a little bit at a time. Her spirit and will to live inspire us all, as I can tell that your sister-in-law's did for you. My heart goes out to you and your family as you find that no matter what happens, the sun still comes up the next morning, and we find a way to go on.

As for the kitty cat, I have never yet recovered from putting my own precious Cleo to sleep. My cats gave me reason to get up and keep going at a time of great despair in my life; the gifts animals offer to us can never be over-estimated.

And yet, in the midst af grief, a reminder of the great Circle of Life..

Nazzie,
Congratulations, Girlfriend! What a beautiful family you have! Having met you and your husband in person, I know for a fact that no two people are more deserving of this great happiness. I hope that you always have the great joy that you are feeling right now.

Ah, Star Wars... I must admit that for the first time since Return of the Jedi, I came out of the theater exhilarated and glowing. In truth, I had been dreading it since I first heard so many years ago that Lucas was going to make the prequels. After all, this story was bound to end badly. No matter how I invested in the characters, no matter how good or bad the movies were, Anakin Skywalker would still be Darth Vader when all was said and done. Then when my sons told me, after they saw it at a birthday party, what actually happens in this movie, I dreaded it. I knew I would need a box of tissues and that I would be haunted by scenes that I would wish I hadn't seen

But it didn't turn out that way. Lucas actually did a good job, in my opinion. In particular, he did extremely well what he has always done best, special effects and action sequences. Was the acting Oscar worthy? No. But the battle scenes! The light saber battles! The backgrounds! Couscant! Nabu! Kasshyk! Alderaan! And yes, the story, too. I for one was very pleased. But, oh what a Star Wars geek I am.

Oh my, a post completely Off Topic. My next will be one about Frodo, how sad it is that so many are not able to get "applicablity" from literature, and how I wish others could see the Frodo in us all.

Miles

P.S. I hope to head over to "Quest for Frodo" later today, after I tend to the matters of RL. Thanks for the invite.

Oh and Texas-hobbit--it's great to "see" you, too!
miles2go
Shield Bearer

Postby Maewyn » Mon May 30, 2005 7:52 am

Hello Everyone.

Thanks for the welcome back, Maewyn I read a few pages back that you are working two jobs!

You're welcome, Tex. Um... two jobs? Must go check back and see what I wrote... I did mention that I'm away from home for about 10 hours a day. That's just for one job. I drive 30 minutes to work, work 8 hours and 30 minutes (with a 30 lunch break), then drive home another 30 minutes. It sometimes feels long enough for it to be two jobs!

Welcome back Wendy! It's great how wonderful you feel when you've been away on a holiday isn't it? (And how quickly afterwards you feel as if you've never been away!) I'm looking forward to September when my husband and I plan to go away for a few days. It seems such a long time to wait...

I just had to make my 500th post in here, where I've spent most of my TORCing to fellow Elijah swooners! I've added my last 100 posts in only 7 weeks! :shock: (It helps when I take part in Man/Woman of the Month, though!) :roll:

Well, it's off to bed now. I've just come back from my weekly yoga class, and as usual I've ended up feeling worse afterwards than when I start! However, I've been told by my doctor that I should continue with yoga. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my lower back last week, and bending and stretching exercises are what I need to do to help strengthen the muscles around my spine. :(

I'll just have to learn to SW :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: N for Frodo carefully onto a nice, supporting exercise mat!

Goodnight all!

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby miles2go » Mon May 30, 2005 11:52 am

A quick post of something I have been mulling over since last week:

Perhaps Luke is so well drawn because when the first movies came out, George Lucas thought of himself as Luke Skywalker. Now, Obi-Wan is the most 3-dimensional character because Lucas himself has become the older, wiser person. He is no longer the young impetuous director, striking out on his own against all odds, believing in himself when no one else did. Now HE is the Master. :wink:

What do you think?
miles2go
Shield Bearer

Postby mechtild » Mon May 30, 2005 5:18 pm

Woo hoo! Another quickie to post some new baby pictures Nazzie just emailed, of little Zachary.

She sent this for me to post:

Hey Everybody! Here's some closeups of Mr. Zachary and his many faces. He seems to be adjusting to life in the Peterson household well...although his long division isn't quite up to standard yet. ;)

Thanks for all your kind emails and congratulations!
Love
[Naz]

Here are the photos:

Link #1

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/ ... chary1.jpg

Link #2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/ ... chary2.jpg

Link #3

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/ ... chary1.jpg

SPOILERS re: Revenge of the Sith

You all have written some very interesting posts, but I cannot respond to them all at the moment. But, let me say that I really did like Revenge of the Sith as a film, lame acting and drivelly dialogue and all. The battles and duels were sensational.

My only deep gripe was related to what I didn't like most in the LotR films - which was the diminution of the theme of mercy. As I complained to Lembas in an email last week, I found it outrageous and terrible that Obi-wan, no matter how wounded or upset or disappointed, could have left his friend and protege, Anakin, to die on the side of that volcanic ravine, in such a state of abject suffering, certain to die anyway. Obi-wan, in his moral world, certainly should have administered the coup de grace and put his former friend out of his misery, if he did not intend to do anything for Anakin by way of administering the usual forms of first aid. I couldn't believe Obi-wan, no matter how incensed or justifified by what Anakin had done, would have turned away and just walked off, leaving Skywalker to writhe in dreadful agony from his injuries, until he should finally happen to lose consciousness and slip into death.

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Tue May 31, 2005 8:33 am

I saw Revenge of the Sith for the second time yesterday (with two girlfriends) and in full Jedi garb ;). I'm not a Star Wars geek, nooo not me :D.

miles2go wrote:A quick post of something I have been mulling over since last week:

Perhaps Luke is so well drawn because when the first movies came out, George Lucas thought of himself as Luke Skywalker. Now, Obi-Wan is the most 3-dimensional character because Lucas himself has become the older, wiser person. He is no longer the young impetuous director, striking out on his own against all odds, believing in himself when no one else did. Now HE is the Master. :wink:

What do you think?

Scarily enough, if you watch the commentary on the DVD's for the original Star Wars movies (it came out this past Christmas), George Lucas compares himself and his career to Anakin - not Luke, and not Obi-wan. That is a little scary... Apparently, he thinks he has become the very thing he set out to fight (which is big business Hollywood).

I think that Obi-wan is the most interesting and well drawn character because it is clear that he is the only one who can survive to tie this movie to the original trilogy. He has to have the role of "the good guy who failed (but stays good)" Hmmm, can't think of any characters in LotR like that, nope ;) I mean, Anakin can't really be the protagonist, because his end is tragic. We need someone else to identify with. Yoda is too weird and alien, and so that leaves Obi-wan. Also, Ewan McGregor was allowed to act, because Lucas wanted continuity with Alec Guiness (who of course was a good actor in the originals).

If it would be helpful:
The original Star Wars trilogy:
    Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
    Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980?)
    Episode VI: The Return of the Jedi (1983?)

The prequel Star Wars trilogy:
    Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
    Episode II: The Attack of the Clones (2002)
    Episode III: The Revenge of the Sith (2005)

And now I must read Mech's review....
Edit
***Serious Spoilers (Sith)***

Finally, we got a lightsaber duel that was not just visually mesmerizing, but also psychologically charged. Anakin vs. Obi-wan was easily as interesting as Luke vs. Vader. They talked about stuff - and what they said mattered.

I agree that it was pretty awful of him to just walk away. The lava burns in Obi-wan's clothing on his return seemed symbolic of his failure to escape the duel unscathed. Was he just doing his duty in combating the Sith, or did he want revenge for Anakin's betrayal of him? The Emperor's ability to approach and even touch Anakin had all the appearance of a father who was concerned for his son - whereas Obi-wan seemed callous in comparison.

But...his hands were tied. These movies are prequels, and we all know that Vader lives. If Obi-wan, who can apparently steel himself to amputate arms and legs in the heat of the moment, had taken the necessary steps to put that lightsaber through a heart or neck, we really wouldn't be able to believe that the boy survived. Obi-wan had to leave him for dead, but not kill him, for plot purposes.

Now, I will admit that you could have crafted the duel in some other way, and given Obi-wan another reason to leave prematurely. But it would have seem contrived, and it would have left the duel as unfinished business. Instead, we get to see Obi-wan looking at Anakin in horror and pain, backing away because he can not bring himself to approach what he has done. I think one of the best scenes in the movie is when Obi-wan begs Yoda to send him after the Emperor. Obi-wan would rather die than be forced to turn on Anakin. (Of course, this calls into question the wisdom of Yoda and Obi-wan sending Luke to take on Vader and the Emperor all by his lonesome...when we know that he isn't half the Jedi Obi-wan was).

Natalie Portman was given short shrift. I'm sure she could have done better with different material. She seems to spend most of this movie being scared and helpless, which is completely out of character for the take-charge girl we saw in the previous two movies. In this movie, she has one decent line - and it is said to Bail Organa in the Senate, when Anakin is nowhere around. I think they filmed more scenes of her talking to Senators (sorta setting up the Rebel Alliance in her living room ;)), but those scenes were cut from the movie to focus on Anakin. A shame, really, because while Bail Organa of Alderaan has been standing around all through AotC and the current movie, he doesn't seem to be a real character until halfway through this one - so you are left thinking, who is this guy, and why is he on the Jedi's side?

I am still trying to figure out what her last line is. I think I've got about half the words figured out. I'll just have to watch it again ;).

Hayden Christensen does a great job with dark and brooding. He has several looks that are reminiscent of Frodo in Mount Doom...but more, he looks like someone who is horrified and tortured by what he has become, but keeps doing it anyway... then he gets to a point where he is no longer horrified, but the look of living hell does not leave his eyes. In AotC, he was a punky teenager, and that just isn't as compelling.

And yes, there is one scene where he does take his shirt off ;).

Overall, I liked the movie very much, even if I found some scenes silly or unconvincing.

And Jar-Jar lived! :x
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby Ereshkigal » Tue May 31, 2005 10:00 am

Oooh, Mae, you have a pretty horsey! Good job!

My daughter is begging me to go so ROTS again, and I couldn't really figure out why. Suddenly it occured to me, so the following took place:

ME: So, are you swooning for Anakin? Do you like your men all broody?

MY DAUGHTER: Mooooooommmm. (Blushes). Maybe. So, when can we see the movie again?

Like mother, like daughter.

And so it begins.

Of course, what is really embarassing is that we are swooning for men very close in age. I really need to grow up. :roll:
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby miles2go » Tue May 31, 2005 3:47 pm

Mith,
I'm with you--I thought Hayden Christensen did a good job of looking both tortured and evil at the same time. I think he is a very handsome young man--(Eresh, we can always look, can't we? The way my husband and sons were drooling over the Ms. Universe pageant last night, I have nothing to apologize for!)--much more so than you would have thought given the actor who plays old Anakin in Return of the Jedi. That combination of good looks and anguished expressions seems to me to be very powerful.

Isn't that what worked so well with Elijah as Frodo? Isn't that why casting such a young actor as our hero was such a stroke of Jacksonian genius? The evil/innocent combination is extremely effective in touching us way down deep. A beautiful face contorted with madness makes us feel grief, shock, horror, disbelief, anger, compassion, hope--so many things all at once.

If you figure out Padme's last line, let me know, OK?
Miles
miles2go
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Fandom Archives