Here we go again - come here to share the Fara/Davidmania

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Hey

Postby telcontarian » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:18 am

SueB: Thanks so much for clearing that one up for me! All I need to do now is remember it... :D

-*-Tari-*-
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby meaningofhaste » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:16 am

PFaz,

Who is the angsty young man in your sig picture? (I'd probably know if I'd seen a movie since ROTK :wink: ).

Getting pack to those "Brush-Off pics linked at Wenham Weekly--if you go to the site and skip down to the "Sydney" link and click on part 4, you will see one of the best DW pictures ever--the hair, the mouth, the chin, but most especially the eyes, oh the eyes :woah: :love:.

Intersting article, too, if you can drag your gaze away from the picture.

Swoooooning for smiling, challenging, penetrating eyes of blue!
Last edited by meaningofhaste on Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:32 am

meaningofhaste wrote:

Getting pack to those "Brush-Off pics linked at Wenham Weekly--if you go to the site and skip down to the "Sydney" link and click on part 4, you will see one of the best DW pictures ever--the hair, the mouth, the chin, but most especially the eyes, oh the eyes :woah: :love:.

Intersting article, too, if you can drag your gaze away from the picture.

Swoooooning for smiling, challenging, penetrating eyes of blue!

MoH - can you give us a link?

Oh, and I sent you an email - did you get it?

Over at ff.net, this is possibly the best Evendim fic. I've ever read.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2482726/12/
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:08 am

POI, I'm too computer-ignorant to send a link, though from time to time kind folks have tried to explain the process. If I could just copy and paste as I do with regular email. . . .

The url is <www.gryphonsmith.com/photos/david/sydney_article/dave113.jpg>

No, I haven't rceived your email :(

Swooning shamefacedly for DW!
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby Phantasmagoria » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:22 am

Telcontarian, Fazgul comes from the unforgettable epic: The Lord of the Swoons. I first read this as I was just entering Daisydom, and it still makes me laugh. It is in the humor section of Dessicated Coconut. LOL!!!

http://dessicatedcoconut.tripod.com/humor.html

Scroll down and you'll find "Part I, Part II, Part III" etc.

hehe.
Phantasmagoria
Shield Bearer

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:29 am

meaningofhaste wrote:The url is <www.gryphonsmith.com/photos/david/sydney_article/dave113.jpg>

Look out for a PM then on CJ.....

ETA: oh my - that picture!! GUH!!! Can I post it elsewhere? Whose site did you get it from?
Last edited by PrincessOfIthilien on Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby princessFaz » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:50 am

meaningofhaste wrote:PFaz,

Who is the angsty young man in your sig picture? (I'd probzbly know if I'd seen a movies seen ROTK :wink: ).

Its Anakin Skywalker, the future Darth Vader, as portrayed by the swoony young thing, Hayden Christensen. The movie was awesome and made me feel bad for days...

Where is this gorgeous David photo???

EDIT - WOW, that is a good picture!! Thanks for the tip!
princessFaz
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:26 am

POI'

The person who posted the link to her collection of DW screencaps and articles is fileg, and her email is <powzie@gryphonsmith.com>.

Swoooning again for eyes of blue, not six-foot two. . . . :)
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Lol

Postby telcontarian » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:34 pm

Phantasmagoria: Hey, thanks for the link! I read a little bit and it is really funny! I'll read the rest when I get a chance! ;)

-*-Tari-*-
telcontarian
Mariner

Postby SueB » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:12 pm

You're welcome, Tari, you Fazgul, you! :D

Thanks for the tip about the pics at WW, MoH, I'll have to check them out!! They sound very cool! And the one you posted is fantastic!!! :heart:

PoI, yes, 'Horn of Gondor' is a very good read indeed! Unfortunately I could only read the first three chapters of it before I noticed that she was dealing with some situations that are very similar to what I'm doing in ALP, at least in nature, so I had to stop reading it. I liked what I read, though! After my story's completed and edited, I'll have to go back and check it out!

PFaz, I too like the Anakin pic! He sure does look like two miles of bad road there, doesn't he? Poor guy!

Just got my mail-ordered copy of 'Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare'! Nice book, and some cute pics of Faramir, though nothing we haven't seen before. There's a cool one of him drawing his bow that I haven't seen too often, though...

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON for David/ Faramir!! :heart:

Sue :)
SueB
Ranger of the North

Postby Phantasmagoria » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:53 pm

SueB - Well, you can always share... 8) *swoon*
Phantasmagoria
Shield Bearer

Postby Phantasmagoria » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:09 pm

PrincessOfIthilien wrote:
meaningofhaste wrote:The url is <www.gryphonsmith.com/photos/david/sydney_article/dave113.jpg>

Look out for a PM then on CJ.....

ETA: oh my - that picture!! GUH!!! Can I post it elsewhere? Whose site did you get it from?

...oh my gosh....... I've seen that pic as the blown-up Magazine cover version, but not like that... without the title graphics in the middle...

Oh my gosh. That is disturbingly beautiful.
Phantasmagoria
Shield Bearer

Postby meaningofhaste » Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:20 am

POI,

Where do I look on Creative Juices" for your PM? When I tried the link to the Evendim story, I got a "chapter not found" message.

A quick "hi" to all the fazguls, and a quick swoon for the disturbingly beautiful one!.
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:05 am

meaningofhaste wrote:POI,

Where do I look on Creative Juices" for your PM? When I tried the link to the Evendim story, I got a "chapter not found" message.

A quick "hi" to all the fazguls, and a quick swoon for the disturbingly beautiful one!.

When you log on, it should say your name in the top right hand corner, and that you have a private message. Or you can go into your profile and click on Private Messages I think.

Go to Evendim in ff.net and click on her name. Then scroll down her stories until you get to The Horn of Gondor....it's possibly her best.

Let me know if you don't get either the PM or find the story!
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby SueB » Thu Jul 28, 2005 5:31 pm

Phantasmagoria wrote:SueB - Well, you can always share... 8) *swoon*

That's true, Phaz!! :D I'll have to see what I can do. Trouble is it's right near the inside of the page and that's always a bear to scan. But I'll give it my best shot, so to speak!

Just added a new short update to ALP, for those reading it! Just a few more scenes to go now before it's done! :shock:

Hi to everyone! :waves:

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON for David/ Faramir!! :heart:

SueB
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:13 am

POI

I got on to the Evendim story, but I have a gripe--characters cannot "hiss" words that don't contain the letter s. I also replied to your message--sounds good.

For those who enjoyed "Van Helsing" in spite of its sillness (and I did), here's a url: <www.livejournal.com/community/m15m/721.html>. Sorry,
rEd; I'm not up to trying out your instructions for linking today.
This parody has been around since the movie came out, so may not be new to many of you, but it is funny, though rife with bad language.

"David Wenham as Carl is cute in an absent-minded, googly way."

Swoooooning for Carl the cute!
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:17 am

meaningofhaste wrote:POI

I got on to the Evendim story, but I have a gripe--characters cannot "hiss" words that don't contain the letter s. I also replied to your message--sounds good.

For those who enjoyed "Van Helsing" in spite of its sillness (and I did), here's a url: <www.livejournal.com/community/m15m/721.html>. Sorry,
rEd; I'm not up to trying out your instructions for linking today.
This parody has been around since the movie came out, so may not be new to many of you, but it is funny, though rife with bad language.

"David Wenham as Carl is cute in an absent-minded, googly way."

Swoooooning for Carl the cute!

Did you do a review on Evendim's story and mention the hissing thing? I must admit, that never occurred to me!

I watched Van Helsing again last night - and Carl is just so sweet. I'm going to try that link in a minute.

Replied to your reply to my PM. :)
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:53 pm

POI,

I'm having computer problems at work, so won't be able to access your message until Monday. In the meantime, hold the swoooooooning!

Wishing I had something of substance to contribute :(
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:55 pm

meaningofhaste wrote:POI,

I'm having computer problems at work, so won't be able to access your message until Monday. In the meantime, hold the swoooooooning!

Wishing I had something of substance to contribute :(

I tried to send you an email but it came back, so I left you another PM instead.

David has been confirmed as a guest at the German RingCon in October!!!
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby Lhaewin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:32 pm

The RingCon - and last year it was only 45 minutes away from me. This year it is a three hours drive! Fazgûls, keep your fingers crossed that I can make it there!

:horse:
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby Phantasmagoria » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:16 pm

OH MY GOSH.

*Prances around you*
Phantasmagoria
Shield Bearer

Postby RakshaTheDemon » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:05 pm

SueB wrote: PoI, yes, 'Horn of Gondor' is a very good read indeed! Unfortunately I could only read the first three chapters of it before I noticed that she was dealing with some situations that are very similar to what I'm doing in ALP, at least in nature, so I had to stop reading it. I liked what I read, though! After my story's completed and edited, I'll have to go back and check it out!

Just got my mail-ordered copy of 'Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare'! Nice book, and some cute pics of Faramir, though nothing we haven't seen before. There's a cool one of him drawing his bow that I haven't seen too often, though...

I don't think you need to avoid Evendim's Horn of Gondor; the plot is not at all similar to yours and tackles very different themes, and her Faramir is very AU anyway (as are her Boromir and Denethor). It is definitely one of the best of her tales, if not the best; and I'm enjoying it, but I can't see that there would be even involuntary cross-pollination were you to read the tale....The framework is similar to that of ALP, but you and Evendim draw extremely different pictures; it's like two different artists painting a Madonna or the Golden Gate bridge or something.

I love that Weapons & Warfare book; which I found in a grocery store of all places! I should probably get another copy, as my paperback is a bit ratty from constant reading...

RAKSHA 8)
RakshaTheDemon
Rider of the Mark

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:53 am

Raksha, as a matter of interest - and as a possible good point of discussion - how do you think "real"Faramir would deal with the situation in HoG as opposed to Evendim's AU Faramir, as I don't find him so AU in this story, unless that's because I'm just totally engrossed in it.
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby RakshaTheDemon » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:09 am

I regard Book-Faramir as the only true Faramir; but Evendim's brothers Mir seem AU even from the movie-verse. No objection there; she's honest about it and her work is very entertaining...

The real Faramir would never deliberately look his "cutest" while sampling bits of food given him by his captor; he would have too much pride. He would probably not even consider giving into Aram on anything, and might well be dead by now. On the other hand, he might have tried to escape before they reached the Towers of the Teeth, and might have managed it - or not (depending on how the story is written). But Book-Faramir would have too much pride to submit to slavery, and he would never break fealty with Denethor to do so... (there are ways for a writer to get him out of that fealty issue - such as Boromir, foreseeing the possibility of his brother's capture as Faramir begins his gambit to save Boromir's life, ordering him to do whatever is necessary to survive, including submitting to slavery if it comes to that - Boromir would have the authority to deputize for the Steward in that instance)

I'm engrossed in the story too; it's a real page-turner and a bit more thematically interesting than some of Evendim's other work. But I can't forget that her versions of Gondor's First Family are quite AU. It doesn't interfere with my enjoyment though, since that's what I expect of her.

RAKSHA :twisted:
RakshaTheDemon
Rider of the Mark

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:09 pm

Actually, I like Evendim's Faramir in this story. Well, I always like him but sometimes he's a tad sappy (even though she always makes him noble/brave). I don't agree that real Faramir would be dead by now - I think he might well have behaved just like AU Faramir in this instance. He who lives and runs away etc...... Obviously, Faramir isn't running away. At times he is being seen to capitulate, but there's no sense in getting himself killed. He is just biding his time - he's using guile. The only time he demeaned himself was when he did stand up to Aram.... the spitting incident was definitely not a good idea. And the "Captain puppy" line was wonderful.

Anyway - if anyone has a moment or several to spare, please vote for David's big brother:-
http://www.hellomagazine.com/vote/mosta ... ente=false
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby SueB » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:33 pm

David was great as Carl in VH! They could make a whole movie just about his adventures, as I'm sure the exploits of a hedonist friar who's heroic in spite of himself would be entertaining.

PoI, thanks for the news about David being at RingCon!! That's great!

Laewin, hope you get a chance to see David at RingCon!! That would be awesome!!

Raksha, thanks for the HoG tip! I'm planning to read it once I'm done with my story. It's good to know the plots are different-why is the story AU, though? Is it because her Faramir and Boromir aren't just like Tolkien's, or did she vary in the plot elements (i.e. Boormir living past Amon Hen)? And I'm lovin' the Weapons and Warfare book, it's very cool!

Now would probably be a good time for you guys to have a HoG discussion, as I will soon be off for a week on vacation! First we're going to Pittsburgh for a Duran Duran concert Tuesday night, then it'll be off to Gettysburg for a few days! :happydance: I might have computer access while I'm gone, but I'm not sure yet.

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON for David/ Faramir!! :heart:

SueB
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:49 pm

SueB wrote:!
Now would probably be a good time for you guys to have a HoG discussion, as I will soon be off for a week on vacation! First we're going to Pittsburgh for a Duran Duran concert Tuesday night, then it'll be off to Gettysburg for a few days! :happydance: I might have computer access while I'm gone, but I'm not sure yet.

Sue, have a great vacation - safe journey, and send us all a postcard. :)
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby sh_wulff » Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:08 pm

drive by swoon on my way to peep @ SueB's story

haven't been able to log on a couple of times of late

that picture

<<<GUH!!!11111>>>>

canters off before she drowns in a pool of dr00l
sh_wulff
Ranger of the North

Postby RakshaTheDemon » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:09 pm

SueB wrote:Raksha, thanks for the HoG tip! I'm planning to read it once I'm done with my story. It's good to know the plots are different-why is the story AU, though? Is it because her Faramir and Boromir aren't just like Tolkien's, or did she vary in the plot elements (i.e. Boormir living past Amon Hen)? And I'm lovin' the Weapons and Warfare book, it's very cool!

I consider all of Evendim's stories AU; and, if I remember right, she puts the May be considered AU advisory on most of them. She's taken the movieverse and made it her own auxiliary universe. Her Boromir almost always survives Amon Hen and becomes Aragorn's Captain-General and Prince of Anorien. He is portrayed as the true hero of almost every story, the strongest and noblest and most generous of the characters, even more so than Aragorn. Her Boromir and Faramir are very close, and given to frequent physical displays of affection, hugging and kissing and sleeping together but not in sexual ways; their relationship is always platonic. Boromir frequently calls Faramir "Puss" and identifies him with a ginger kitten. Her Denethor is an under-appreciated stern but very loving father and outstanding soldier, occasionally sidetracked by his palantir addiction (which also drives him to beat Faramir in a few stories), though once he stops palantir-wrestling with Sauron he becomes a much happier fellow, glad to hang out with his old pal "Gil" (Thorongil) who was his best friend before mean ol' Ecthelion came between them. Evendim has Theodred being Boromir's beloved shield-brother. Eowyn and Faramir dislike each other on sight, but eventually fall passionately in love with each other, have sex and agree to marry and do so ASAP. In Evendim's stories, Gandalf is not Faramir's mentor but rather an interfering old busybody who comes between a father and son (Denethor and Faramir) with disastrous results...Evendim is a very entertaining writer, with a gift for excellent dialogue and humor and angst. She's also developed some excellent OC's, though Boromir's devoted friend Ancir of Lossarnach always bores me and appears in practically every story...

As to why Horn of Gondor is AU, hmm, possibly because Evendim doubted that the real Faramir was ever held captive by Haradrim? Or maybe because she plans that Faramir will spend months, or years, in captivity and slavery?

Have a wonderful time in Pittsburgh and at Gettysburg!!!

RAKSHA 8)
RakshaTheDemon
Rider of the Mark

Postby SueB » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:48 am

Thanks for the good-trip wishes, PoI and Raksha!! :D My sister's bringing her laptop so I hope to be able to pop in from time to time while I'm gone. I'm not leaving for good until Monday morning, which gives me plenty of time to panic and forget to pack things I'll need! :)

Raksha, thanks for the AU info! Evendim is a very creative, engaging writer-I gotta wonder where she gets all that time to write so much!! I too wondered if HoG was AU because she's planning to take the story over the span of several years through the Ring Wars etc. I'm looking forward to reading it! And I, too, noticed her inclination to make Boromir the Bestest Gondorian Guy Ever-but then, Boromir himself might agree with that assessment! :D

By the way, there's a Faramir RotK DVD promo pin up for auction at ebay! For only 99 cents, a real bargain!

Faz Pin

Looks like another new thread is looming on the horizon!

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON for David/ Faramir!! :heart:

SueB
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Fandom Archives