The "Waiting For Jonathan" ELIJAH WOOD Appreciation Thread

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:50 am

Mech...
I'm so glad you had an exciting trip, and, yes, the IMAX screening and the Exhibition are both well worth the long drive...I would have done the same if it was me !!
I don't remember the silly rules and regs at the Science Museum Exhibition here in London, possibly because I wasn't looking to take any notes, even though I knew I would probably write it up for Tolkien Online at the time...Pearl is probably right though...

As for "Everything is Illuminated", I'm sory that this film was only just so-so for you...
We don't officially get it here until December, HOWEVER...
Pearl, a few others KD-ers and I are going to go and see it this very Tuesday... a whole month before its general release in the UK, due to the fact that it is being featured at the BFI London Film Festival which is currently going on in London, and for which I managed to procure six tickets ...Hurrah !!!
Can't wait ...

Now then, go visit Always and Forever for the nicest pictures I've seen in a while...They are the out-takes from the Elle Girl magazine shoot, and feature some real goodies...
like this

and this

here are the rest !!

Enjoy !!!
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:31 pm

Oh, HUBBA! Those pictures are so h0tt, I posted a few on my LJ! :D Thanks, Wendy!

Lembas :)

p.s. Happy Halloween, everyone! 8)
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:30 pm

Lembas wrote:

Oh, HUBBA! Those pictures are so h0tt, I posted a few on my LJ! Thanks, Wendy!

And I saved some, Wendy. Yum yum yum.

As for EII, Wendy, loads of folks at The Faculty loved it. I talked it back and forth a little with Mariole on my LJ entry, and she made a good point about not reading a book before you see the film version of it. It seems impossible not to compare the two. Having read and enjoyed the book first seems to have made it impossible for me to appreciate the film the way others do.

~ Mechtild
Last edited by mechtild on Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:35 am

Well...having seen the new Elijah Wood film now, go see what I had to say about it at my Live Journal...

here
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maewyn » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:22 am

Well, the judging in MOME IV has finished, and kudos go to Lembas - she and Aragorn have won the Best Evening Wear award! Woo hoo! :clap:

If you haven't read Tex's entry for Merry's version of the War of the Ring, you've missed a great laugh! Here it is (see the entry for 4th November - and the follow-up on the 5th!) :rofl:

However, not everybody's gone home yet. There are a few people still hanging around having a bit of fun. It looks like I have at least another entry to make - I've been "dobbed in" to carry on a bit longer, so here I go again ... :roll:

(Oh, and that is me in my sig - dressed for a costume party about 11-12 years ago!) :roll:

When I was skimming through some LJs I found a link for this interview with Elijah in perianella's journal. It's a good one.

Maewyn :)
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Texas-hobbit » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:23 pm

Nice link, Maewyn! It touched on a variety of areas.

Q: Do you feel like you're on old soul an a young body?

EW: I've definitely felt old as long as I can remember. But at the same time, you feel youthful as well in the sense that I'm constantly fascinated by the world and culture. When I first got into my 20's, I felt relieved because I was catching up with myself.

In his “younger days” interviews, he never struck me as being overly mature. He seemed like a kid having fun, but doing so in an abnormal situation. I hope he doesn’t look back years from now and feel like he missed a childhood. Somehow, I think his mother helped him have those normal, kid experiences, even though he missed going to school with a regular group of students.

So I guess Bobby is a definite go? Last I’d heard, it was still in the works. Maybe this will have a wider distribution. :|

Wendy, the pictures you linked are quite nice. Black and white suits him, don’t you think? However the “hat/red shirt” shot is not bad. :P

Mae, thanks for the MOME compliments. Merry was fun as was Bill and the other characters I worked with. :)

Since there are Star Trek fans in our Frodo group, I wanted to say that there was some talk about having a pageant similar to MOME, but for Star Trek (MoST). If it happens, it will be in the spring in Bird/Baby. I’ll let all of you know when it materializes, just in case someone wants to appear. I’m hoping Maewyn will take part, because she is very knowledgeable about the series and would be perfect for it. :lol:

Wendy, I’m off to read your take on EII. It hasn’t shown up in my area yet, so it may be that I will have to see it on DVD after all. :(
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:46 am

Maewyn, I meant to tell you how your sig pic made me smile. Bill is definitely not doing his thing, in spite of your impressive Ring Mistress's costume (hmmm... Mistress of the Ring...why does that have a sound of foreboding...?).

Thanks for the excellent links! :hug:

Tex, nice job on Merry. :lol: Really, you have such a creative mind and such a great sense of humour.

Other than that you wrote,

In his “younger days” interviews, he never struck me as being overly mature. He seemed like a kid having fun, but doing so in an abnormal situation. I hope he doesn’t look back years from now and feel like he missed a childhood. Somehow, I think his mother helped him have those normal, kid experiences, even though he missed going to school with a regular group of students.

I think that, too. But what I did always think was how at ease he was among people of any age, which did make him seem a lot less like a kid. I am sure that came from working and "hanging out" among adults all his life. I am beginning to think he didn't miss a thing not going to regular school, though. Having looked at what sort of influences are at play on kids in their teen years at school -- no, I don't mean drugs or violence or sex -- just the usual intense pressure to conform and having to suffer so many little and big indignities -- I think he may have been better than he off.

You two have already been in and looked, but for you who don't visit LJ and like looking at FotR Frodo caps, I have posted three short series of caps there. I love being able to post pics right in a thread. If you like saving screencaps, this is a good chance to get some slightly different nuances of favourite Frodo shots.

Here's the "Frodo and Gandalf in the cart" series, when the children have begged for fireworks:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/mechti ... tml#cutid2

Here's a series of caps from the opening "Money Shot":

And here's a series from the EE Party Tent scene (note, extra ones are posted farther down in one of the "comments" boxes):

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:51 am

I have just realised that I've been VERY remiss! :blush:

I forgot to announce that Tex also won a prize at MOME! How could I have forgotten? :bang: Please forgive me! :(

Here it is:

The award for...

BEST EXTRA-PAGEANT PERFORMANCE

goes to

MERRY and TEXAS-HOBBIT!

Mechtild - Ring Mistress? Now that does have a nice RING to it! =:)

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Autumnelf » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:38 pm

At last I found you again! When did the URL change for the site? Or has it always been theonering.com and I've just been asleep, content to let my bookmark find it all the time?

Tex, wherever you are, congrats on the MOME award. I'm sorry I missed it this year. I've been VERY busy. I would like to get off this treadmill, but I don't know how (Yoo Hoo. Where's the switch? Anyone?)

The days are beautiful here in NorCal. I love November here! And of course, only a few more weeks before Fellowship complete soundtrack comes out ! :happydance:

I bought all my new LOTR calendars on Saturday. I love the Heroes one. Yum. :lol:

Hope you are all doing well. One of these days I'll be able to get a nice cup of peppermint tea and catch up on all the posts.
Autumnelf
Shield Bearer

Postby Maewyn » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:35 am

I just had to drop this link in here! It will lead you to perianella's LJ. She has put together a "history" of Elijah's films in pictures and his own words. It begins with his appearance in Back to the Future II and follows his progress all the way through to EII. It's definitely well worth a look!

However, there are about 70 pictures in there, so unfortunately it's not dial-up friendly. :(

When did the URL change for the site? Or has it always been theonering.com and I've just been asleep, content to let my bookmark find it all the time?

Hi Autumnelf, it's nice to see you! Glad you found your way back! www.tolkienonline.com changed to www.theonering.com some time ago, and anyone using the old address was redirected. Apparently the redirection facility has stopped.

I haven't seen any LOTR calendars on display here. Every time I go past the displays I look for one, but have had no luck as yet. :(

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Texas-hobbit » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:11 pm

Autumnelf! :hug: Welcome back! Things are very slow these days, so it shouldn't be hard to catch up. Maewyn, Lembas, and I were "occupied" in Moobies during the month of Oct. and I'm just now catching my breath. :)

Mae, the link sounds intriguing! I must check it out tomorrow (Sat. for me), when I can putter around the house with chores while it is loading. My dial-up was out for a day and a half and I intend to call the company Monday to get an explanation. Grrrr. And don't feel bad about the omission. I finally figured out a way to shrink poor Merry down and get the award in, too! Lost some clarity, but them's the guidelines. :|

Mech, with the wonderful screen caps you are doing, I'm wondering how long those will stay up in your journal? In other words, should I save them now or will they be there to get back to later? You've picked some of the most memorable images from the first of the film, the ones that lassoed us in to film Frodo four years ago. :)

Also, I'm reminded of the people who have set up extensive screen cap libraries (such as the Framecap library we've all used so much for images). Do you have in mind to set up such a library site? I have no idea what is involved in such a project, but fans worldwide really appreciate those few who have done us that favor. I am just speculatin' ! :lol: Anyway, the ones you done so far are par excellant!

:grouphug: to all the busy Frodo fans! Please check in now and then to let everyone know how things are going. :)
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:00 pm

Hello Tex! Regarding your comment about the screencaps in Mechtild's LJ, most people don't the delete pictures, so I will assume they'll be there for a very long time!

By the way, she's put a whole lot more caps up since she last posted here, so it would be worth your while to go there. The scenes she has capped are absolutely beautiful. Well worth a good old-fashioned

SW :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: N!
Gee, that felt good! :wink:

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Texas-hobbit » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:34 pm

HI Mae! Believe me, I'll be going over there very soon. :happydance:

How long do I have to wait for the Dewy Eyelashes of Bree? :P

I'll join you in a long overdue
s w o o o o n !

:lol:
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:39 pm

So I was just checking out The One Ring website (the other "One Ring" website, that is! :D ) and I found this cute article about how EW went to New Zealand and totally suprised the crew of King Kong (the same crew as LOTR). It's sweet! :) Here you go:

Elijah Wood has revealed how he made a secret visit to New Zealand to surprise Peter Jackson on the set of King Kong.

Wood planned the trip for a bit of fun, but the actor who played hobbit Frodo Baggins in Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy was surprised just how emotional he was when he arrived at the Kiwi director's film studio in Wellington.

The studio was the same facility where Lord of the Rings was shot and Jackson had recruited most of the Rings crew for King Kong, many who were close to Wood after his 18 months in New Zealand.

"I was actually so surprised about how overwhelmed I was because I was walking on the same stage that we used with the same crew," Wood, while promoting his new film, Everything is Illuminated, told reporters in Los Angeles.

"It was amazing and great to go back.

"It will always be such a huge part of my life, that country and the people."

The surprise visit was a spur of the moment trip for Wood as he was in Sydney for two days to do some voice work for his new animated film, Happy Feet.

"I was like, 'Well, I'm going to be down there for two days. I may as well get a flight over to Wellington and spend a week in Wellington'.

"The timing of it was hilarious because I got an email from Philippa Boyens, one of the writers on Rings and Kong.

"She was like 'I haven't heard from you for so long. God it would be great if you could come out and visit'.

"And, of course, at that very moment I was planning on taking this trip and I said 'Funny you should email me because I'm coming out'.

"She freaked out and said 'I'm not going to tell anyone'."Boyens did end up on telling Jackson and his Rings producer wife, Fran Walsh, but the rest of the Kong crew were left in the dark.

"Philippa went on to the stage and asked Carolynne Cunningham, who was the first assistant director (AD) and first AD on Kong, if she could bring a visitor on set and she was like 'Yeah, yeah'," Wood said.

"She was busy and couldn't care less.

"Then I walked on the stage and the reaction from Carolynne was utter confusion and emotion. It was so amazing."

Wood had planned, with two other Hobbits - Billy Boyd and Dominic Monaghan - to make cameos in Jackson's big budget adventure film about the giant ape, but the actors' schedules ended up ruling it out.

"I think early on we had conceived of maybe getting the Hobbits out there - Billy, Dom and myself - to try and do some kind of cameo," Wood said.

"Get stomped on or something or maybe even have us dressed as Hobbits way in the background, but we never got to do it because Dom was super busy on Lost and Billy has been working, so we couldn't co-ordinate schedules to do it."

Everything is Illuminated is a big change from Lord of the Rings in almost every aspect, from the small budget, film location in the Czech Republic to the Coke bottle glasses Wood's character, Jonathon Safran-Foer, wears.

Safran-Foer is a young Jewish American who travels to the Ukraine to find the woman who saved his grandfather during World War II.

Wood, 24, said the journey Safran-Foer takes reminds him of his life-changing decision to travel to New Zealand to make the Lord of the Rings films.

"I left home at 18 and lived in New Zealand for 18 months on my own and it was an incredible learning experience and growing experience," Wood said.

"It was the first time I had really lived as an adult in my life on my own outside of my comfort zone. It told me a lot about who I am and my life."

Aaaaaw! ;)

Lembas :hug:

p.s. Here's the website in case you're interested:

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411319/630666
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:15 pm

Wow, I haven't been back here in ages...sorry about that. I've been so bogged down with day to day things that I barely even lurked around here. The thread has been slow anyway, seemingly...

Lembas, just want to say THANKS for posting that little article about Elijah visiting the Kong set. It's heartwarming to know that there can be such a tight-knit group of people that won't forget about the whole LotR journey.

EII has still not been released here where I live, though I did see a poster for it the last time I went to the movies, so at least they'll release it eventually. That's the only thing on my must-see list left this year anyway, besides Narnia and Kong.

For all of you in the U.S., HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! Hope you get to spend time with people you care for. I can't believe it's November already...soon it'll be the 4 YEAR anniversary of FotR release.

Take care everyone!!!
~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby Ereshkigal » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:47 pm

Like nienor, I've been reduced to mostly lurking, but I do hope you all had a happy thanksgiving. I'm personally dreading the Christmas season (don't get me started), and I'm sort of sad that there is no new LOTR project to look forward to. Neither EII nor GSH made it to my area, and I've not seen any hopeful EII Oscar buzz since the reviews concerning the project were somewhat mixed. Sigh.

I mentioned earlier that I was publishing an article about our messageboards here in a local magazine entiteld She. This magazine's clientele is very computer naive so I had to explain some things that are painfully obvious to us, and I probably simplified at the expense of the truth in a couple of wee places, but if you would like to check out the article, you can do so here:

http://www.theonering.com/docs/19435.html

I posted it in our reading room to make for easy viewing. The article as originally published was not able to include any of the great pictures Texas Hobbit sent me (space issues--this magazine is much beloved in our region but quite amatuerish).

In case I've never made this plain, I've loved being part of this community. It is sort of drifting apart now, as to be expected, but I've loved the chance to be a screaming fangirl and find myself among many others like me (and some not! ).
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maewyn » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:52 pm

Eresh! What a great write-up!

It was a very well thought-out description of message boards, and the diverse group of people that use them.

It's true, how no one knows exactly who people they're exchanging ideas and feelings with are. However, people's personalities shine through their words. If someone was "faking it", they would have to be very good actors! I know if I was pretending to be someone else, I'd never be able to remember my lies for continuity's sake!

This "Frodo" thread was the very first place I ever posted. I joined in because I felt I would fit in with the community that was here. I've never regretted it.

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:53 pm

Golly, Ereshkigal, but that was a swell article you posted in The Reading Room. Thanks so much for the link. :hug: It was, as Maewyn already said, a wonderful introduction to the world of messageboards and their appeal.

I am still lurking (Hi, Nienor! 8) ), but have been engrossed making Frodo screencaps. Once I noticed that the screencap galleries we have been using all this time were closing or shrinking, I decided to start to make my own. And, once I did that, I decided I may as well post them, so that other Frodo fans to sigh over or save to their photo files. I've been entertaining myself in that way for about a month, posting them in my LJ. I can't post them in here, of course, since once can't post images in TORc threads. I didn't post them in my other hangout at K-D, either. One can post images there, but, a whole string of images? -- When K-D is having problems with financing and the use of bandwidth? No, I could not post them there.

I also have been reading some fanfic. I have put off reading much of anything for the last year -- reading other fanfic, that is -- since it would take time away from finishing my own story. But, I have been in such a funk trying to make myself tackle the next section, I decided I may as well read some other people's stuff. It's been fun, dreary, but sometimes very helpful. I just hope I can get it together to get back to writing -- not just posts and pics, but the story.

Anyway, it's been great to see your post, Ereshkigal. I often think of you and wonder how you are doing.

Lembas, I really liked that article. But I am not hopeful for King Kong. I saw the trailer last night at Goblet of Fire (which I truly enjoyed) and it did not look promising. It looked like a CGI yawn-fest. *heartfelt sigh* I hope I am wrong.

Tex, no screencaps from the Prancing Pony have been made yet. I still have gobs of stuff to tweak and post from before that. Give me a chance, LOL! But here is a cheery note on upcoming Elijah films....

Remember me sounding like gloom and doom about Happy Feet, the animated film about penguins for which EW is doing a voice? (The word on it has been very discouraging.) Well, I saw a trailer for Happy Feet last night, and, guess what? It looked really cuuuuuute!

:P Whoo hoo!

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Texas-hobbit » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:22 pm

Eresh, thanks for posting the article! You have summarized my feelings exactly, although inducing much more laughter than I could. :D Along with the mention of having Marty's babies, here are a couple of quotes that make me snerk:

"it seems Americans aren’t the only ones who stink at geography,"

and this:

"even the teenage boys who thought the movie was cool would politely begin to edge away after a few minutes of discussion on the name of Gandalf’s sword ..."
:rofl: :rofl:

Like you, I have enjoyed this community immensely, though I am still as limited on the amount of time I can be here as I've always been. It's nice to hear from everyone every now and then.

You are right about how all the assumptions must go out the window when you don't really know much about the person you are talking to. But it is also true that I have been able to tell I was among gracious and cordial folk while on this site. I haven't been a member of any other boards, but when searching for other types of information, I've had a peek at how jarringly unpleasant and downright rude the conversation at some sites can be. I count myself fortunate to be among people of such quality! It has been a pleasure! :)

Again, excellent job on the article! :thumbsup: :)

Mech, do you know which screen caps sites are shutting down? :( That news makes your efforts even more valuable. :hug: You have done some spectacular shots so far. I haven't taken a look at the ones from last week, because of holiday madness. My daughter is the only one who used my computer this week. (It was interesting to hear her doing the heavy sighs and finger drumming while she was waiting for pages to load. I guess I needed a break from that frustration. :P )

Good news on "Happy Feet". :happydance: Like I said before, maybe the good will towards penguins as subject matter established by March of the Penguins and also Madagascar will help people decide to take a chance on the film. Maybe this will be one that will come here. :|

Lembas, thanks for the article. :) I wonder if it was bittersweet for Elijah to visit the Kong set? Sort of the "you can never go home" kind of feeling. Oh, and about the King Kong movie, earlier this evening I flipped the tv on to listen to a John Denver special on PBS as I surf the net (nice to have the voice of an angel playing as you post), and clicked past a short peek at the KK movie. Peter Jackson introduced the clip and I couldn't believe it was him! He's lost so much weight, I didn't recognize him at all, except for the wild hairdo. I'm glad, though, because I'm sure he's much healthier for it. I hadn't seen him since the Oscars. It was a bit of a shock. :shock:

neinor, good to "see" you! :hug: Neither EII nor GSH have made it here, so I guess I'll catch them on DVD. Four years! Very hard to believe, isn't it. I've seen some trailers for Narnia and it has a definate "LotR" look to it. Is WETA involved in the CGI for this film?

Happy SWOOOONS for our Frodo! :)
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:10 pm

Hello again, Ladies of the Frodo Thread! :grouphug:

Hanging out with Texas Hobbit and Lembas Junkie - Hey, that's me! :D Thanks for the link to your article, Eresh. And I tried to read it like I was new to the world of internet messageboards; you did a fine job of explaining it. :)

Tex, you were listening to a John Denver special? I love Jonny Denver! :heart: What special was it? I love the wilderness one he did when he went to Alaska, and down the Colorado River with his kids. :) *sniff* Why did he have to go?

So Mech, you don't think Kong is going to be anything to write home about, eh? ;) I saw the preview before Goblet of Fire as well, and my best friend and I got quite excited! Then again, I love dinosaurs, too - I didn't know there were dinosaurs involved in King Kong...was it always like that?

And speaking of Goblet of Fire! 8) I liked it. My only wish is that Alfonso Cuarón had directed this one as well (I thought he really gave a needed boost to the Harry potter movies with his direction of Prisoner of Azkaban). I guess this new director is a guy named Mike Newell. Well, at least he did better than Chris Columbus, heh heh.

----------

I watched Return of the King this afternoon as a nice gap between studying subjects. Boy oh boy, I don't think I'll ever get tired of seeing EW play Frodo; or the books and movie in general! :D Moments that still fill my heart with book/movie emotion:

Frodo and Sam on the slopes of Mt. Doom
I remember very well when I read that passage for the first time: I was sitting on the floor of my bedroom in Ireland, enjoying a cup of tea and a package of Hobnobs, listening to music, and wrapped my favorite snuggly blanket one rainy afternoon. :) That was the same day I read about the Ring of Fire that Sam sees around Frodo and Gollum...wow. Anyway, I was so happy with the way the movie version of this turned out. Those two sure did a great job (and thanks to PJ for showing us EW's sweet-bunly-goodness as he prepared for that scene on the ROTK EE, hee hee! =:) ).

Frodo on the edge of the Crack of Doom, Ring in hand: "I'm here, Sam."
And you know, I was hoping that they would use that simple line from the book, because it comes with so much feeling. Sam hears something in his master's voice that is so very different than moments before. The swirling of smoke as Frodo appears (in the movie) at the very edge is quite dramatic, too!

When Sauron is destroyed
The first thing the Fellowship remembers is that at that very moment, as Sauron comes crumbling down, Frodo has thrown the Ring in the fire, and he's up there right now. And they scream to him "Frodo! FRODO!!". *sniff* :( I always liked how Tolkien wrote things like "And at that moment, as Aragorn and company were here, Frodo and Sam were here..." And he would let us know that they were thinking about each other even when they thought they were so alone. :) :heart: Even I was thinking that when I read the book "Frodo! You are up there, and I am way down here...you did it! We are free because you did it!". It warms my heart to know that Tolkien wrote the Fellowship immediately call Frodo. And breaks my heart when they weep because they think he will die.

"Don't you let go!"
A movie moment, and a good one. Just look at our sweetie EW as he give Sam such a look, swinging there all sexy and angsty-like. Le sigh! :D

Frodo kissing Sam good-bye
That Frodo can kiss me good-bye any time! Meeeee-YOW! :rofl:

Well, I'm off to bed!
Lembas
:)
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:49 am

Lembas, thanks for the trip down memory lane, with your viewing highlights from RotK. When I visit me dear old mum at New Year’s, I’ll be bringing my DVD’s with me. She has a new, big, widescreen-shaped TV which I simply must try out!

Yes, the original King Kong (a movie I love -- such a tear-jerker) has dinosaur battles. The world in which Kong lives is populated with many cool animals no longer extant. Lembas, it wasn't that the previews for the film looked bad, not at all. I guess I felt all action-film-ed out. The previews made it seem like just one more action film with a wad of CGI special effects. I am sure I will go see it, never fear, if only out of gratitude to PJ and Weta. Besides, Howard Shore did the music. I wouldn't want to miss hearing what he did with the film. :)

We also saw previews for computer animated cartoons that made the films look very ho-hum and interchangeable. Happily, Happy Feet actually seemed to look and "feel" more unique. I sure hope that is so.

As for Goblet of Fire, I liked it better than Prisoner of Azkaban, and I had liked that very much. I have seen and enjoyed two others of Mike Newell's films, Enchanted April (I've rented that a dozen times, I'll bet) and Four Weddings and a Funeral. Neither of those films, however, are anything like Goblet of Fire. I thought it was one of the best films I've seen, well, since RotK. :lol:

Tex, I was precipitate saying the sites were closed. I was wrong, wrong, wrong. When I actually checked my links, only Bag End Inn was closed. I think my real dilemma was that I have been posting the same 2-3 dozen Frodo caps over and over again. Since I have a swooner’s agenda, looking for caps that show Frodo as especially lovely and lovable has always been my priority.

Once I found I could make my own screencaps, whole new vistas opened for getting such shots. A site like tgshaw’s Frodo Lives Within Us focuses on EW as an actor, so she doesn’t cap shots that are just of Frodo looking cute and not doing much otherwise. :D

So. Just for our future reference, I thought I’d assemble a set of links to webplaces that host images of Frodo.

8) Note: If any of you have others to supplement this list, perhaps you could post them and I could edit them back into this post? Then we could have them all in one place. The thread is moving slowly enough that it should be easy to find for a while. I could re-post it if we should need to open another thread. How does that sound?

Places to find Frodo shots:

Frodo Lives Within Us – focussing on Elijah Wood’s acting as revealed through screencaps, this is a great source for looking at strips of caps. There are many from LotR. Tgshaw also has several very good essays posted at this site.

Frodo Forever – still an excellent site for shots of Frodo: screencaps, behind the scenes, costume ref shots, pub stills, posters, etc.

The Lord of the Rings Image Library – this is a GREAT screencap site for the entire films. You can go through the films as such, or choose a character and go through them. I noticed that the EE scenes are blended into the theatrical version, according to narrative sequence.

Darth Screencapture – good, well-organized site for caps of all the films, no special focus on Frodo. I use this one a lot. It doesn’t have a gazillion caps for each scene, only a well-judged selection. I pine for more caps of Frodo for each of his scenes, of course.

The War of the Ring.net Photo Galleries – this site still seems to have a TON of stuff on all the films, all the characters, plus posters, pub stills, etc., with very helpful cross-referencing. The thumbnails are dark and small, though.

EW Now Galleries – Hobmom has made a lot of really excellent screencaps. If you scroll down you can see she has capped loads of EW films. As for LotR/Frodo, she has caps from several Extras and trailers, and some other things. As for the films themselves, she really only seems to have concentrated on the Mordor scenes from RotK, which she has listed as separate scenes. These are excellent caps with many, many images for each sequence. I love to look at these on “slide show,” they are so good.

A Hobbit’s Tale – caps of variable quality, but many are good. It is hosted by Warof theRing’s website, a it notes.

Elijah Wood Screencaps -- the name says it all; not a lot of LotR, per se, and not a lot, period, but worth linking.

Always and Forever -- this link is to the page of photo listings in this big, bustling EW fansite. They have the screencaps and LotR pics listed separately. This is the site I have found the most shots of EW from other films and from magazine shoots, too.

Mechtild’s Frodo Screencaps (a work in progress) – as I said, I am on the prowl for caps of scenes not capped before in which I think Frodo looks lovely/charming/endearing/funny/ravishing to me, even if they take up on blip of screentime, this is not a place to look for "great acting" scenes necessarily. I am capping scenes frequently capped elsewhere, but only in order to concentrate on the moments in which I find him especially enchanting or endearing.

I have linked my LJ according to the “tag”, Frodo screencaps. At the top of any LJ entry, the user can designate “tags.” These serve as organizers of the entries. A click on a tag will bring up all the entries that bear that tag, in order of posting. A very handy thing!

~ Mechtild
Last edited by mechtild on Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Ereshkigal » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:33 pm

Tex--I do want to echo your comment that this community is the most polite and endearing. I've found it so--and on the other sites I've not been welcomed so warmly or found such diversity of opinion (especially in movies) without constant rudeness (oh, there was some, mind you).

I think when you consider the kind of people who like Tolkien, it's not surprising the kind of character you find at these boards.

And the naughty aunties, too. Tee hee.

LOVED Goblet of Fire, BTW. The younger actors are getting stronger, and Newell really let the older ones have good moments. Ralph Feinnes was truly scary.

Can't wait to see The Order of the Phoenix.

Thanks all of you for taking the time to read my article and for your encouraging comments. It's quite easy to write about these messageboards, but devilishly difficult to make the article fit within the word limit! I enjoyed every minute of writing it.

Hope to be around more often, but fundraiser freight is due in Wednesday, so I'll be at school a good bit for the next few days. I should have some good doldrum days after Christmas, though.

See ya.
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:13 pm

I loved Goblet of Fire, too. I adore the Weasleys. I already was keen on them in the Prisoner of Azkaban, but they just get better. Is Mike Newell booked to direct The Order of the Phoenix? Hot dog! Books 4 and 5 were my favourites of the lot so far. :P

Eresh
, is She a printed magazine or an e-magazine? If a real magazine, did you type it out to post it in the Reading Room? What would you think if I offered a link to it elsewhere? Or quoted it in part? Would that bother you? (Whew! What a lot of question marks!) I would like to send a link to Whiteling, if you haven't already done so. I am sure she would like to see what you wrote about her work.

P.S. I tried twice to leave a comment for your essay in the Reading Room, but both times it gave me a failure message and didn't post. What the...? :(

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Bree379 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:36 am

Hi all! I've taken a break from the internet to focus on real life for a while, but I think I can now safely return! And just in time, too! Eresh, your article is so moving! I can proudly say I am a small part of this community, and your article made me giggle and cry, whether you intended it to or not. I do think that some of the people I've met here I trust more that some of those I know in real life, as crazy as that may sound!

As far as Goblet of Fire goes, wow. Each movie is better and better, much like the books! I've read the comparisons of Elijah Wood and Daniel Radcliffe, and though I do find our young Harry Potter may bring... inappropriate... thoughts to mind, well, he still can't hold a candle to Frolijah. Harry can certainly show a pretty good range of emotion, and Daniel has admittedly improved in his acting, but it's all in the eyes with Frolijah, and it just ain't there for Danarry... (don't really know how to combine those names...)

And yes, a preview before Harry Potter was for Happy Feet, and I was jabbing all of my friends: "That penguin's Elijah!!" I think it looks darned cute! King Kong looked... big! I'll be there to see it, but I have a feeling it won't be a favorite. We'll see! I know no matter what it will be a success on many levels! (Even if it's merely impressive)
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:08 am

Wow, I posted a few days ago when the thread seemed barely breathing, and now I see all these wonderful new posts. Whether I'm in lurkdom or not (as I was for nearly a year before I began posting here), I hope you all know as well that I've so enjoyed the times we've had here. We've all lasted this long....it's gotta mean something, right? :wink:

I've finally finished my big tests for this year (goodbye, mathematics, until next year!!!), only one more to go in a couple of weeks. So hopefully I'll have more time to come to Frodo-land. I wanted to start my own once-a-year LotR book reading tradition, but I never could find time to sit down and read them as they should be read. Also, I think I read them about 3 times in 2003 only (RotK probably more than that), so maybe I've got the next 3 years covered, lol.

It's good to see the positive Potter thoughts...I admit it, I enjoy reading the books immensly. I saw Socerer's Stone in theaters along with half of the world's population, but I think the series was a little too childish for me back then. I didn't see the second or third films in theaters, and I regret not seeing Prisoner of A. now, because I rented it and really loved what Cuarón did with the story (also, feeling a bit patriotic, I was proud that Cuarón was from Mexico). So I nagged by friend to come see Goblet of Fire with me opening weekend here, and I really enjoyed it too. I hope I can see it again before they take it off. mech, you asked if Mike Newell is going to direct Order... it has already been announced that David Yates will be the director for that one. I can't tell you any of his previous works, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and hope he knows what he's getting himself into, adapting the monster of a book that OotP is. :P

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby mechtild » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:50 am

Hi, nienor! Order of the Phoenix is my favourite of the six books published so far. Of course, then, I am looking forward to the film. Thanks for the info. on the director. I will have to look up David Yates.

I don't know what's up, internet-wise, but our server seems to be having trouble today in a big way. It is taking forever for absolutely any site or its pages to load, and I don't have email at all. If you don't hear from me, I'm not deceased. 8)

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Ereshkigal » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:54 pm

mechtild wrote:Eresh, is She a printed magazine or an e-magazine? If a real magazine, did you type it out to post it in the Reading Room? What would you think if I offered a link to it elsewhere? Or quoted it in part? Would that bother you? (Whew! What a lot of question marks!) I would like to send a link to Whiteling, if you haven't already done so. I am sure she would like to see what you wrote about her work.

P.S. I tried twice to leave a comment for your essay in the Reading Room, but both times it gave me a failure message and didn't post. What the...? :(

~ Mechtild

Mech

She is an printed magazine, but the editor and I are friends and she has told me not to worry about copyright. This is one of the magazines that you see in many smaller cities and towns: it's non-glossy, ad-driven as far as profits go (non-subscription), and mostly written by locals and reader submissions. We enjoy it. It's given me a forum for my writing, so I like it. My next article (due in January) is entitiled "And I Owe It All to Cristopher Lee"--it's about my decision to write. I'll post it here, too.

As far as what I submitted to our reading room--this is not a scan, but my article as it appears on my computer. Articles aren't literally handed in these days, but e-mailed directly so the magazine can be assembled virtually before it is printed. Nearly all smaller (and some larger) magazines use this form now--no more copywrite desks and layout pages.

I'd be delighted if you'd link it to KD--I still lurk there, although I don't post.

And Bree--thanks for the compliment. I was thinking of you when I was talking about our "coming out" pictures (and Wendy, too). You are so cute! The One Lad must be flattered by your attention. (BTW, I am in no way hitting on you. Tee hee. :lol: )

I think I heard Imelda Staunton was playing Dolores Umbridge in The Order of the Phoenix, but I don't think Mike Newell is directing. Pity. I thought he was great. The whole punishment by writing in blood thing was great in the fifth novel--and Harry is such an angry character that I hope it will challenge Daniel Radcliff to rise to the acting occasion. He is getting better, you have to admit.

I'm looking forward to Luna Lovegood. I think I was most like her in high school.

I would love a moment to go see Walk the Line as I am a big Johnny Cash fan (all minimalists love alternative rock, punk rock, and Johnny Cash--It's too complicated to explain here). As is, I'm so busy lately that my big treat this weekend is to go through my November InStyle issue. My sisters are desparately encouraging me to update my look, so they bought me a subscription. I can't even manage to read the magazine. Sigh.

I've been at my daughter's school all day handing out the fundraiser purchases. Because so many kids ride the bus we have to have a parent come in and pick up bags--and sometimes simply because the kids have sold so much they can't carry them. Most of the parents are wonderful, and the kids are always cute, but wow, sometimes I really have to work hard to remain pleasant (I grew up working retail in my father's store, so I have a good demeanor around people giving me money). This one grandfather was yelling at me because no one told him to pick up the items, but today was the first day the items had come in. He kept insisting he saw people walking out earlier with packages, and I gently reminded him that I was the one who checked in the freight and I knew that it was impossible. I didn't press the point, because his little granddaughter was standing there with tears in her eyes, and perhaps the grandfather is suffering from early onset alzheimers (and is insanely agressive because of it). But it sure is nice after a day like this to come to the boards and just talk with people I know who love me.

Thank you for being here.

Eresh
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:07 pm

This one grandfather was yelling at me because no one told him to pick up the items, but today was the first day the items had come in. He kept insisting he saw people walking out earlier with packages, and I gently reminded him that I was the one who checked in the freight and I knew that it was impossible. I didn't press the point, because his little granddaughter was standing there with tears in her eyes, and perhaps the grandfather is suffering from early onset alzheimers (and is insanely agressive because of it).

Eresh, you wow me with your energy, kindness and fortitude (hearing your story of volunteering at your daughter's school). Even when I was your age, I had nothing like your zeal or patient understanding.

As far as what I submitted to our reading room--this is not a scan, but my article as it appears on my computer.

I feel very silly, asking if you re-typed the article from a scan. OF COURSE you would already have had a copy of it, since you were the author. D'uh. I intend to link a copy of it in a PM to Whiteling. I am pretty sure she does not lurk here.

David Yates. Director of The Order of the Phoenix (thank you, Nienor, again for that info., and to Ereshkigal for seconding it). Hmmmm. I looked up David Yates on IMDB. They listed 16 directorial credits for him, but only 3 were for films. The rest were for TV productions. This could be good or bad. If he's accustomed to working on series and mini-series, then he's used to the idea of creating one episode of something larger, which is what TOotP will be. It must cohere with what came before. I can't imagine, with Harry Potter films being such huge money-makers, that they would hand the job off to someone they thought unable to rise to the challenge.

Imelda Staunton. The name was familiar, Eresh, but I had to look her up. As soon as I saw her pub shot, I recognized her. I have liked her in everything I have seen her do. She's a very tiny, round-cheeked person; she'll look perfect as Dolores Umbridge, since Judi Dench is probably too old for the part (or unavailable), the other actress I thought "perfect" for it.

I confess, Dolores Umbridge is probably the character that makes The Order of the Phoenix such a great book. She really is a terrific villain, coming from a long line of characters who are soul-killing institutional types, from inquisitors to wicked Dickensian orphanage teachers to Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I actually thought she was worse than Voldemort. He's obviously terrible -- like an SS commander. But Umbridge is one of those people who parades around under the guise of normalcy, who even thinks she is normal, which makes her terribly believable and danderous. She's one of those people who can smile and say, "I'm doing this for your own good," and mean it, while she grinds someone's body and soul into the dust. She really made that book work for me, and the writing in blood punishment, Ereshkigal, was so perfect and so awful, I almost could not bear -- but loved -- those scenes. How Harry dealt with those lessons was a school for character for him (considering his temper), I thought.

Oh. Just to throw in some EW stuff, on inter-library loan I borrowed some of his hard-to-find films. No wonder they are hard to find; they are not very good.

Black and White. Drek. Total drek. It gets my "Turkey" award, along with Oliver Stone's Alexander. Alexander was a lot more entertaining in its turkey-hood, though. EW was barely even in it, so, even for swoon-reasons, it really isn't worth bothering with.

Ash Wednesday
. Decent little film about an Irish hoodlum family living in Hell's Kitchen on the West Side of Manhattan (I've lived there), in the 80's. Elijah is the younger brother of Ed Burns, now a "retired" mobster. Elijah's character has done something that forces him to flee local wrath, but he comes back a few years later, for his wife, played by Rosario Dawson (!!! :oops: -- EW looks so young in this, she seems more like his mom than his wife, even though she, too, was a young woman, then). EW did a nice job, but, I thought he was badly cast in this film. He was lucky Ed Burns hired him.

The Bumblebee Flies Anyway. I still can't get over what a dorky name this is for a film, even though it's the same as the successful "teen" book on which it is based. This is another so-so, barely decent film, about a young man with a grave illness who undergoes some experimental treatments at a private facility for young terminal patients. There are some interesting performances, but the film misses being really good. EW is engaging in his role, but, finally, not very impressive, considering what the role might have and should have been.

However, the film, being shot the year before EW arrived in New Zealand for LotR, is WELL worth watching for a swooner. If it had been a DVD, instead of a VHS tape, I certainly would have nabbed scores of screencaps from it.

What a face....

What can I say? In this film he has the same look he had in his earliest Frodo material. Rainwater blue eyes; giant -- with six-foot eyelashes -- pooling with emotion. Skin like unmarred silk. A rosebud of a mouth, with delicately pink lips, slightly parted. What was not to like? Watching it, I kept thinking, "Ah... more 'EW as young Frodo' material," I confess.

If you want to watch this film as a film, it's "ok". But, if your goal is to swoon for the dreamiest thing to fall out of classical paintings, this film is worth watching, at least once.

It is DEFINITELY worth capping.

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:18 am

I was cruising around Google, looking for a picture of Iggy Pop when he was just little James Newell Osterberg, Jr. -- that is, what he looked like before he became a rock star -- and found this article from Rolling Stone.

Knowing EW is going to be playing Iggy, I read it. Here's a link, since it is so detailed:

Iggy's Trail of Destruction, by Eric Hedegaard

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... 6.0.12.857

Excerpts:

Nothing makes sense unless you know who Iggy Pop was. back then, right around 1969, while the rest of the world was going psychedelic, he presided over quite some reign of perverted rock & roll terror. He would slather his body in peanut butter; barf on his audience; cut himself up with broken glass; wear silver-lamÈ evening gloves onstage; shoot heroin; make frequent use of his big, beautiful p***s; crash his car into trees; beg horrified record-label executives for drug money; pass out in bathrooms with the spike still in his arm; check himself in to a mental institution and score coke off David Bowie while there. Just in general, he lived the totally messed-up life and wrote the totally messed-up songs without which there could have been no angry punk-music explosion of the 1970s, much less anything that has evolved since, angry-punk-music-related.

[(...) Article details how he has cleaned up, drug-wise, in the last twenty years, loves his girlfirend, and seems fairly well-adjusted and happy.]

He looks grizzled and cheerful, his long face gaunt and weathered, wearing jeans and a tattered pullover shirt (...) Oddly enough, he's also wearing a thin-soled loafer on his left foot and a thick-soled boot on his right foot.

"Yeah, I know, I look like a f***ing freak," he says, in that gravel-pit-deep voice of his. "But one of my legs is shorter than the other and I was recently told to start evening things out or I'm going to be Fluffernutter Buttercups up later in life."

Reading it, I still can't wrap my mind around the idea of EW playing this man at any time in his life. He sounds like a fascinating character to play, but, it's not just that EW doesn't look like him or sound like him. He's just sooooooooo different.

If EW can actually both whip himself and let himself go to play this (if it amounts to more than a cameo, in which case none of this matters - they just put him in an Iggy outfit for five minutes), he will really have accomplished something. What, I don't know. But something.

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:40 pm

My big news today: Green Street Hooligans came to theaters right here where I live, Tampico, Mexico. What were the odds of that ever happening?? It came out last week and I was surprised, but not exactly rushing out to the theater just yet (soccer and fistfights, no thanks...), but it was actually my sister that dragged me out to see it, saying "we have to see Elijah! Elijah's in it! We have to go right now!!!!" giving me a run for my fangirlishness.

So I saw it. It was loads better than I thought it would be. It wasn't all about the fistfights and drinking, as I thought it was. It wasn't even about the soccer (sorry, football). It was about these groups of men, despite their violent disposition, that cared about each other more than anything, and would do anything to protect them. Not that violence is the answer to that, but at least we walked out of the theater thinking about it. It was nice to see Elijah on the big screen again, though I did cringe a bit during the fight scenes, thinking 'not his nose, no not his eyes...' :P

I'm still quite skeptical about this Iggy Pop thing. But I think that if written and directed well, it could give Elijah the chance to give quite a performance.

About Order of the Phoenix....I like the book, but I don't think it's my favorite of the lot. It is a gargantuan text, with alot of non-Hogwarts stuff, Harry's permanent PMS and temper tantrums, Umbridge, etc. I always sort of liked a little more depth to a villain (take Voldemort, the whole half-blood orphan bitterness thing he has going on), and Umbridge seemed so uniformly evil, so obviously the bad guy, that some of the suspense was lost to me. I also think that Grawp should never had happened. But the Luna and the Department of Mysteries shall be interesting to watch.

~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Fandom Archives