The "Waiting For Jonathan" ELIJAH WOOD Appreciation Thread

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Postby mechtild » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:54 pm

nienor, good news on your viewing of GSH. :lol:

Can't agree on Umbridge, I thought she was a great villain. Loved the writing in blood. And I LOVED all the stuff about Harry giving secret Defense Against the Dark Arts lessons to interested students in the secret room. I loved the whole sense that permeated the book of the students having got a wake-up call and variously puling and denying, girding their loins, or going a little ... wild (the Weasley twins).

But, who was Grawp? I guess it coudn't have made much of an impression on me.

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Texas-hobbit » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:22 pm

Wow! So many posts since I was here last! Hi Bree! How're things in LA? I think of you often and wonder if things have begun to settle down there. It takes so much longer than anyone would think, doesn't it? :hug:

Mech, I am relieved to have you say the screencap well is not running dry as yet. And the list you made! I wasn't aware there were so many! I do believe, though, that the ones you've been working on are the best of the Frodo lot. In fact, the last time I checked your lj, you had some caps from the extras of FotR and I can see I must have missed watching some of those sections. For example, I'd seen photos of Frodo working with a dialect coach, but didn't know they came from the EE's. I haven't watched much of the RotK extras, but thought I'd seen most of Fellowship. I skipped the costume sketches, still shots and so on. I'll definately take another look at the extras on my Christmas break!

About King Kong, sadly, Howard Shore and PJ parted ways near the end of the shoot and a new composer was hired and, I've heard, had to rush to get a score completed. :( That is highly disappointing to so many people, since HS's work added such depth to "our" films.

However, I did hear a review on a radio show this morning called Newsweek On Air and the reviewer thought highly of the film. He said the 3 hours went by quickly and the original story was fleshed out with development of the primary characters. He also said Andy Serkis' performance was near genius. Kong is to be portrayed as old, worn and weary, having lived and survived alone (and lonely) against great odds. In his opinion, PJ managed to create quite a sympathetic character in Kong. The reviewer was clearly smitten with Naomi Watts as well. :P

nienor, still no sighting of GSH or EII in my neck of the South. :| I guess it's the DVD for me. I was undecided about GSH, too, since it's not the type of film I'd normally consider. But your impressions are encouraging! Good luck on your last test, by the way. :) I, too, hope to have a read-through of LotR on my upcoming holiday. My daughter leaves tomorrow for Europe and Morocco for several weeks, so we're having Christmas in January. That gives me some time this month to indulge in the stack of books I have. For some reason, it feels like time to read the trilogy again.

Eresh, I echo Mech. :) Having people be rude to you when you are volunteering your time is frustrating. The man was fortunate to have someone with your patience and understanding on the receiving end of his diatribe. I hope your actions helped his granddaughter feel better. By the way, have you had a chance to see Walk the Line yet? I was supposed to go see it, but didn't have time after all. I've missed a number of films I'd intended to see.

The news on Iggy/Elijah is interesting. Forgive me, but I've forgotten what film his character is supposed to be a part. :oops: I'm afraid this is beginning to sound like another film with subject matter that doesn't appeal to me. As fascinating as his performance in Sin City sounded, it just wasn't the type of film I enjoy. I know very little about Iggy other than his music (if one could call it that :D ). This will be quite a challenge for Elijah if he does pull this off. :|

:love: to all the Frodo lovers and a big swoooon for our most favoritist hobbit!
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:05 am

Oh, TEX, your sig pic! Can I post it in The Harem at K-D? Can I post it on my LJ? I'll credit you, of course, you Genius of LotR Silliness.

Tex, the Iggy role, the last I heard, was supposed to be small, not a main role. I can't even remember what the film was supposed to be about, whether it was about rock in the "glam" era or what. I wouldn't hold my breath that it even gets made. If I hear anything in the Faculty, I'll post it here.

Yes, the "Flirty" scene - the one with "Frodo" talking to Roisin Carty the dialect coach comes from the FotR TE version DVD Extra Featurette, "Language."

Here's a link to a link to a gif Ariel posted recently in Frodo's Harem, over at K-D. What a hobbit! Yum yum yum.

http://www.khazaddum.com/forums/showpos ... tcount=151

Your news on the review of King Kong was too bad about Shore, but VERY encouraging about the film. I am looking forward to it, all because of you. *smooch*

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Ereshkigal » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:36 pm

Mechtild--I have to admit that although I'm usually all for The One Lad having large roles in films, the smaller the Iggy Pop part is, the better the chance this part won't be just awful. Iggy Pop seems to have been such a strange character that I'll be happy, as you say, if this doesn't get made. Except that if Elwood does pull this off, I think that whole One Expression label will definitely be retired forever. I read that article you linked, BTW. Wonder if our lad will be laying anything on the speaker? :twisted:

nienor--Wow, what a nice surprise, to see GSH unexpectedly. I would really, really like to see this one, but I'll just have to wait for video, I expect. Sigh.

Tex--your sig pic slays me. Tee hee. :lol:

If Elijah Wood ever wanted to play a punk rockster, I do think he would, with the proper eye make-up, make a great Billie Joe. I've been enjoying watching Bullet in a Bible, their concert DVD release, and the kind of shenanigans Billie Joe gets up to are more lighthearted that the all-out assaults on the audience that Iggy Pop was famous for. Besides, Billie Joe's band Green Day always puts on a great show.
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:15 pm

I read that article you linked, BTW. Wonder if our lad will be laying anything on the speaker? :twisted:

Ha! Ereshkigal! You made my beer go down the wrong pipe. By the way, I found a copy of the Malanga (Maranga?) image discussed in the article. It doesn't look that big to me. I think Frodo's is definitely bigger. 8)

Yeah, I can't picture him pulling off Iggy Pop, either. (THAT sounded odd...). Really, I know he wants to "stretch" himself as an actor, but that really does sound waaaaay out for EW, unless they are playing Iggy only as a teenager. Or, for two seconds of screen time, which is my hunch.

You have said how you thought the lead singer in Green Day was like him before. I read a lot of good press about that band, by the way.

Tex, let me know if I can post your sig pic elsewhere. I note that your text box says it's from last year!!! Where was I? I don't remember it at all!

P.S. thanks for commenting on the "etceteras" over at The Faculty. I guess I'll have to knock all that off, now that tg is the mod. She's a no-nonsense person when it comes to EW as an actor.

Hey! In a fit of drooling over EW in his Flipper screencaps, the few that have always been available, I have made a BUNCH more.

Here are links to four LJ entries, for those who would like to see more of the Elijah that I have thought of as "angsty, moody, gorgeous 'tweenaged Frodo'" -- from the last scenes of the 1995 film.....

First series of caps: http://www.livejournal.com/users/mechti ... .html?nc=5

Second series of caps: http://www.livejournal.com/users/mechti ... tml#cutid1

Third series of caps: http://www.livejournal.com/users/mechti ... tml#cutid1

Fourth series of caps: http://www.livejournal.com/users/mechti ... tml#cutid1

Hope you enjoy them,

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:12 am

Yes, those pictures that Mech caught from Flipper are some thing! He's such a pale guy these days, compared to those! :D

Does anyone know where I may find pictures/video of that convention where the little girl goes on-stage and gets a snuggly hug from EW? *whistles innocently*

=:)

Lembas

Edit: And I see it posted over at TORn that EW is a confirmed guest at the next ORC convention in January. :) I wonder if anyone from the KD will be there?
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:40 am

Lembas, I have a few stills filed from that. I'll email them to you, whatever I've got. Ereshkigal had one of them in her sig pic for a while, too.

As for the clip, it may be still linked here, but, how to find it, I don't know. It would be posted at the time of that last ORC - was it in June or something? I don't know which archived thread would have it.

I'll bet Lady Wendy would know how to locate it. She is very well-organized and has a good head for details.

Another person you might ask is K-D's Blossom. She makes all those gifs and stores a lot of little clips. She's extremely nice and always happy to share the bounty. I don't know her email, but you could send her a PM at K-D.

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Texas-hobbit » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:36 pm

Mech and Eresh, I can tell I need to read the full "Iggy" article rather than just the bit Mech excerpted here. :shock: :)

Tex, let me know if I can post your sig pic elsewhere. I note that your text box says it's from last year!!! Where was I? I don't remember it at all!

Mech, I'm sorry I didn't answer you sooner! I've been off-line most of the week and am now off to see a movie. You (or anyone else, for that matter) can use any of my sigs at anytime and however you want to use them. :) No problem at all. I did make several Christmas sigs last year, but the season passes much faster than I can post, so none of them were up long.

Gotta run, but will check back to take links this weekend. :grouphug: to all the Frodo ladies! :)
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:28 am

You (or anyone else, for that matter) can use any of my sigs at anytime and however you want to use them. No problem at all.

Thanks, Tex! :hug: Stay well as you dash about. What are you off to see?

~ Mechtild
Last edited by mechtild on Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:17 pm

Just to prove that I do still lurk here, even though I don't post that often :roll:

Mech, and Lembas
I'll bet Lady Wendy would know how to locate it. She is very well-organized and has a good head for details.

Awww shucks...*blush*

Ok then...here you go :-

Elijah and little girl

I will try and find the video clip too, as this site doesn't seem to have it...

I have been very much more active at Live Journal, then I have been at the various message boards recently, probably because there have been other things that I have wanted to talk about than Elijah or Frodo...this doesn't mean that I have lost my love for either, but there have just been other things to do...you all know how it is !!

I have been enjoying all your screencapping efforts, Mech, and especially the Frodo cornfield ones...makes you want to just scan the DVD through slowly, just to make sure, y'know !!

Ok, here is a video from the One Ring Con last year, and I would bet, ( without having seen it ) that it may well contain the footage that you are looking for...

ORC 2004
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:01 pm

Wow, Wendy, you are great. And, guess what? EW Now was one of the screencap sources I linked above. I even said she had loads of EW shots. You'd think I would have thought to look in there. :roll: :wink: That's a very good selection! I bookmarked it.

As for the "Crying Little Girl" clip, I haven't opened that yet. Leeeeemmmmbbbbaaaasssss! Come and look what Wendy brought you!!!!!

Thanks for the compliments on the "Hobbits in the Corn" series, Wendy. Those really were great. I love finding beautiful screencaps in what, on screen, are moments that just rush by.

Tex, I posted your "Light of Earendil" sig pic in the Harem and look what Whiteling, who is a German poster wrote:

Mechtild, that Light of Eärendil gave the German word "Stehlampe" a whole new meaning. (meant is a standard lamp, literally a "standing" lamp in German)

Ha ha ha! And your lamp is a leg with shod foot!

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:29 am

Oh Lady Wendy Thank you!! 8) And thanks to you too, Mech for the heads up over in LJ Land! ;)

The video turned out to be the interviews of the stars as they entered the One Ring party after the most excellent Clean Sweep at the 2004 Oscars! But those pictures were just great, I saved a sequence of six:

1) Who's that crying? We can't have crying!

2) Well, hello! What's wrong?

3) Don't worry, it's okay.

4) Aaaawwwww! :hug:

5) All better now?

6) Back to Mummy! :D

Lembas
:grouphug:
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Texas-hobbit » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:59 pm

Lembas, the "Lij comforts little girl" clip was awfully sweet, wasn't it? He'll make a great dad someday. :)

Hi Wendy! Good to see ya! :) My posting and even lurking comes and goes in spurts, too. Life gets busy, doesn't it?

Whiteling, who is a German poster wrote:

Quote:
Mechtild, that Light of Eärendil gave the German word "Stehlampe" a whole new meaning. (meant is a standard lamp, literally a "standing" lamp in German)

Ha ha ha! And your lamp is a leg with shod foot!

Well, now, see there? Darin McGavin was right when he told Melinda Dillon that the lamp was a very practical piece of decor. Too bad she had no taste! :P

(Mech, since you asked, the movie we saw was Walk the Line. Good performances from J. Phoenix and R. Witherspoon, who surprised me with her great little voice. ) Next week it's Narnia, then the following, King Kong. We always wait a week in the hopes lines will be shorter. By the way, don't forget to rent Rabbit Proof Fence someday. You'll thank me later! :wink:

Well, I read the full Rolling Stone article and must say I'm with you, Eresh and Mech, in my ambivalence concerning Elijah playing Iggy Pop. Mech this tickled me when you said:

If EW can actually both whip himself and let himself go to play this (if it amounts to more than a cameo, in which case none of this matters - they just put him in an Iggy outfit for five minutes), he will really have accomplished something. What, I don't know. But something. :lol:

About the only thing I read about Mr. Pop which sounded remotely like Elijah was this:

He eats bacon and two eggs sunny side up for breakfast almost every day, eats a steak or two for dinner, is fascinated by what appears nightly on the History Channel, the Discovery Channel and C-Span ("I just love C-Span!").
Oh, and also the potty mouth. :lol:
And for some reason, I can see Elijah using the phrase "wockety-wickety-wackety-woo.'' :P But that's about as far as the similarities go, as far as I can tell. If he were to recreate the persona of I.Pop in his early years, that would be another in his spate of oddball roles. The more successful he is at portraying him, the less likely it is I'd see the film. The man was decidedly extreme, wasn't he?

I realize Elijah has made a concerted effort to distance himself from the hobbit label, but I'd like to see him play an interesting, but rather ordinary character next...not so over the top. A film like The Station Agent comes to mind, where, granted, the characters are misfits, but are misfits with whom the viewer can identify. Many people thought Frodo, as written by PJ and company, was odd and weird, too. To those folks, his later roles in Eternal Sunshine, Sin City, and EII seem to be more of a continuum than a departure. :|
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:16 am

Tex, I don't remember getting a reply notification, but I see you posted days ago. Howdy, even if belatedly.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed I Walk the Line. If I were more of a Johnny Cash, Reese Witherspoon or Joachin Phoenix fan (although I loved his performance in Signs), I would certainly go. As it is, I still want to see Goblet of Fire again before it leaves the theatres, I liked it so well.

My daughter and I went to see the Chronicles of Narnia last week. We both were very disappointed in it. I didn't like the book, though, so I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised. The sheer volume of blatant LotR film rip-offs was rather astounding, but the whole original story was a rip-off, I thought. I prefer my bible stories straight up. I much preferred Lewis's later installments, which I thought much more original and interesting: The Silver Chair, Prince Caspian, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Last Battle. I just couldn't get over what a thinly veiled piece of religious education the first volume was. But apart from that, my teen-aged, CGI-spoiled daughter agreed at once that the BBC Narnia productions from the late 80's were much better, even if the special effects were not especially effective. Well, you can make up your own mind.

However, we did have an EXTREMELY satisfying night at the movies tonight. We went to see King Kong. Remember how I said I saw the trailers and they didn't make the film look good? Well, the film itself is massively better than the trailer. I have to say I was terribly proud of the Jackson/Walsh/Boyens team, not to mention Richard Taylor, Andrew Lesnie, Grant Major, Tania Rogers and everyone else from Weta. They did a great job on this film, the actors, the production people, all of them. It was a little self-indulgent here and there (we all know how PJ loves his monster stuff and action set pieces), but, really, it was a splendid film. An old-style, "bring down the house" movie.

I haven't heard any new stuff about the Iggy Pop film, or about Bobby, Tex. But I have been skimming a lot over in The Faculty. I will certainly post a notice if I see anything there.

Tex, you wrote,

I realize Elijah has made a concerted effort to distance himself from the hobbit label, but I'd like to see him play an interesting, but rather ordinary character next...not so over the top. A film like The Station Agent comes to mind, where, granted, the characters are misfits, but are misfits with whom the viewer can identify.

After King Kong, my daughter and I went down the little bits of similarity to the LotR films (not one hundreth of the number that are in the Narnia film!). We agreed that Naomi Watts got the Frodo part. Brave, but perpetually worried or suffering. She was very good, I'm just teasing. There actually was a supporting role that seemed like a "natural" for Elijah Wood, the angsty, boyish but troubled youngest member of the ship's crew. I kept thinking, "Ah, another role in which EW could have run circles around the actor who played him!" Not that it would have been a good role for him, career-wise. I think if he's going to take supporting roles, he's doing the right thing, looking for stuff that seems like a significant departure for him. This role was too much like other things he's done, I suppose.

Now I am ooking forward to the opening of Brokeback Mountain. I thought it might not play here, since the subject matter might be considered controversial, but I saw a poster for it on display when we were at the movies tonight. I'd been reading a lot of excited remarks about it in the LJ of someone from K-D whose posts and thinking I really admire. I am so out of the loop when it comes to more recent literature, I didn't know anything about the story, much less that a film was being made from it. I Googled up the story and saw it was very highly thought of. Then I read the film was directed by Ang Lee, whom I really, really like! So I definitely perked up my ears. All in all, it sounds like the sort of film I would really like. If I get to see it, I'll mention it.

~ Mechtild

:)
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:30 am

A little interview I found while surfing past the A&F site:

Have you picked your recent roles to offload the Frodo image?
The only thing I look for is what's unique and challenges me as an actor. I've been lucky to find these films. I'd rather not work than do something that I'm not passionate about. It just so happens that these movies have been relatively small but that wasn't planned or intentional.

Your new film is about an American's quest to find his roots. Do you like Europe?
I love it and I love travelling. It's more important now for Americans to travel abroad than it's ever been. It gives me a greater perspective on the country I come from and that's important.
Lembas chimes in: Good on ya, EW!! :D Traveling is the kind of educating, enriching experience you can never duplicate twice, and the effects last a lifetime, thank goodness!!

How easy was the transition from child actor to adult star?
I started acting at age eight, reading scripts, working on films, loving what I was doing. When I got older, I became more serious about it. At that point I wanted to continue acting and knew I had to find roles that were more adult. That was a real challenge because as a teenager I looked really young.

Did you ever think about giving up acting to do something else?
I did when I was younger. I didn't have many friends my age. There was a brief period of time when I questioned whether I should continue acting. But I carried on, made friends and developed a personal life outside my profession. I've fallen in love with the whole process of movie-making even more as an adult - not only acting but being creative.

You'll always be associated with your role as Frodo. Is that a blessing or a curse?
I don't know if it's either, or maybe it's both. That's slightly disingenuous because The Lord Of The Rings was the greatest experience of my life. There are moments when it's a blessing because it breaks down communication barriers. That makes travelling really easy. Sometimes it's difficult, when I'm tired or don't want to be recognised, but it's just part of my life and I'm used to it. I also see it as a kind of responsibility.

A responsibility to whom?
The people who see me in films. Actors have a responsibility to treat people with respect. They pay to see me do what I do. This is how I can continue doing what I do. I consider it my responsibility to be respectful to people.

That's not a prevalent attitude in Hollywood.
I credit everything to my mom. I wouldn't be the person I am without her. The problem with young actors is that they often get pushed into the industry by their parents. In my case, it was always me who wanted it and my mom threatened to take the acting away as a punishment. At first she only let me do commercials, then it became films, and it just sort of grew.

What was she worried about?
She was concerned about giving me a balance between acting and reality. She drilled a sense of perspective into me from a young age. She never allowed me to define myself by what I do or think I'm more important because of my job. She kept me grounded. I'm very much influenced by how I was raised.

Where is Frodo's ring?
Very safe. In a box.
Lembas chimes in: ...'So you keep away from it!' *hugs box close, as eyes shift back and forth* :rofl:

After all your fight training for Green Street, do you think you could beat somebody up now?
I'm confident I could probably handle myself in a fight, yeah. The funny thing was, when we made that film, we thought the fight scenes were going to be the most fun. We thought we'd get to set and have a punch-up on film but it wasn't quite like that.

Ever been in a real fight?
No. I stay away from violence.

You've been talking about starting a record label for ages. What's happening with that?
It's taking its time. I know what I like musically and can sign bands I believe in but the business side is a learning process. I'm taking it slow and learning as much as I can. It should be up and running before the end of the year.

You mentioned living in London. Anything you disliked about it?
I love London. There was nothing I disliked.

Americans always complain about our warm beer.
I found the beer pretty great. I spent a lot of time in pubs there, actually, as you can imagine. I had been to London many times before but it was always for press so I'd only ever spend a few days. I never had a long enough time to enjoy the city so it was a nice opportunity to exist in London for a longer period of time.

Your character, Jonathan, in Everything Is Illuminated is an obsessive collector. Do you collect anything?
I am a bit of a collector. I keep all sorts of things, be it photographs or pieces of paper that have some kind of significance. Unlike Jonathan, I'm very poorly organised. I questioned whether I should continue acting.

Here's the link, in case you'd like to see the real thing! :)
http://www.metro.co.uk/metro/interviews ... ew_id=1230

Lembas
:grouphug:
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby Texas-hobbit » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:11 pm

Hi Lembas! :hug: Thanks for the article.

Actors have a responsibility to treat people with respect. They
pay to see me do what I do. This is how I can continue doing what I
do. I consider it my responsibility to be respectful to people.

I believe he means this. I also imagine it's not that easy to do. Sadly, the fans don't always return the favor to the actors. Everyone deserves a little time to be left alone, even when in public. He's such a sweetie, though. :love:

Traveling is the kind of educating, enriching experience
you can never duplicate twice, and the effects last a
lifetime, thank goodness

So true. I just got a hilarious email from my daughter, who is on an eight week backpacking and busing trip now, with an old college friend. They're moving through Morocco, after spending a little time in Britain and Spain. She's having some real adventures, off the beaten path of the tourist routes, going where the urge takes her. I, on the other hand, just need to get out of my own city limits! :) EW must be grateful that his profession takes him to some interesting places.

Mech, I'll be seeing King Kong sometime next week. :) At one time, there was some discussion that Elijah and the other 3 hobbits may have a cameo in the film, something about being extras who get squished by KK's feet. For some reason, it didn't happen.

I enjoyed the Narnia film, but wasn't impressed enough to want to see it again anytime soon. In the Movies forum, we're having the beginnings of a discussion comparing that film's adaptation with LotR's. Wildwood, who as you know, has maintained her purist position by refusing to see PJ's LotR, was the one who initiated the thread. She was quite pleased with Narnia as an example of an adaptation she could live with.

:grouphug: to all the Frodo admirers! :)
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:29 pm

Well, Tex, I don't think any of the hobbits were in there as cameos or extras or it would be noised about in The Faculty. They did point out there today that the orchestra conductor in the theatre where Kong is being displayed, is Howard Shore (!!!). I didn't even notice (too busy looking at King Kong)! :roll:

As for Narnia, a lot of people have liked it, obviously. My neighbours loved it. And Pearl (Diamond of Long Cleeve), a very savvy LotR fan and C.S. Lewis fan also loved it. In her LJ post, I believe that while she acknowledged there was a good deal of "borrowing" from the LotR films, she considered it a "perfect" adaptation of the book. Well, I did admit I didn't much care for that volume of the Narnia stories.

Perhaps, my not liking the film is a way of saying it was a faithful adaptation, since I didn't like the book, either. 8)

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Ereshkigal » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:26 pm

Tex--just a mention of The Station Agent drew an "amen" from me. I loved that movie, and especially the actor in the title role. I'm kicking myself now that I can't remember his name. He was great.

I can't stay long--Christmas is keeping me busy and I'm in the middle of an editorial war with a parent's group at our school that is paranoid to the extreme--all teachers are evil, all the kids who get sent to the disciplinary school are angels, etc. Sigh. I sometimes hate to be the self-appointed voice of reason. Of course, these poor people are out of their depth. Never, ever, ever mess with an English major. I can pull up more research in five minutes on the internet than they would ever dream of consulting.

Just came in to announce that I've submitted another article to The Reading Room and am waiting approval. It's entitled "I Owe It All to Christopher Lee" and is about how Mr. Lee was somewhat responsible for my decision to write (hence the white hand on my avatar). I'll link it if it is approved.

I'm also only pages away from finishing the rough draft of my novel. I promised myself I'd finish this draft by the end of the year, and it looks like I'm going to make it, but just barely. Hey, barely counts though.

I am absolutely going through Elijah Wood withdrawal. I so need to see EII, but I'm going to have to wait a while, so it seems. Sigh. TNT has been running FOTR and TTT, and I've been watching them again while I do the Christmas chores. Such a lovely, lovely boy.

And after all these viewings, FOTR is still my favorite. Since it is the one Jackson described as "Frodocentric," that a small wonder.

I hope to see KingKong this weekend. Enjoyed Chronicles of Narnia as well (but not as well as Goblet of Fire). I never read the books, though, so I have nothing to compare to (but I plan to read them to my kids after Christmas). Perhaps, Mech, I've been forced to endure so many children's movies that my standards are low. I cried with Aslan's sacrifice, though, heavy Christian allegory or not. And remember, Tolkien and Lewis were friends, and people may have claimed that Tolkien borrowed from Lewis (who published first?).

My husband is on call (so out of town) tomorrow night, and my kids are havinga spend the night out, so I'm going to see Walk the Line. I'm a huge Johnny Cash and June Carter fan, and I like both the actors playing them, so I'm looking forward to this movie. Also, it looks to be one of the big favorites. Although I love Ang Lee, especially The Ice Storm (wonder why?) and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, I have to admit I'm having trouble working up enthusiasm for Brokeback Mountain. Maybe if Elijah Wood were playing one of the roles . . . no, still probably not.

Although I have to admit, the fact that Ang Lee is directing it is making me curious. Except for The Thing, Lee is usually a gifted director. Sense and Sensibility is still one of my favorites. Let me know what you think of it, Mech--Brokeback Mountain, I mean.

Sorry to be on such a ramble. I'm trying to get so much in in a short time.

Merry Christmas to everyone, in case I don't get another chance to drop in.
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:52 pm

You ARE ALMOST DONE WITH YOUR ROUGH DRAFT????? I am astounded and thrilled. And articles to boot! Wow, Ereshkigal.

Let us know how you like Walk the Line. I've heard it's really good.

As for who wrote first, Tolkien conceived of and began writing about M-E way before Lewis, but Lewis did more borrowing from Middle-earth for his space trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, etc.), not the Narnia books. Tolkien never accused Lewis of pilfering. Tolkien didn't even like the Narnia books, although I don't think he put it that way to Lewis.

When I said the Narnia film stole a lot from LotR, I meant from the LotR films, not Tolkien's actual story. There were so many scenes and moments in Narnia in which highly recognizable images or camera shots or set pieces were sooooo much like things in LotR. Lewis' story is very little like anything Tolkien's, really, although they both are fantasies and share the conceit of modern people entering another realm (Lewis uses contemporary children, Tolkien uses hobbits, but these seem like relatively "modern" English folk; that is, modern to a writer who grew up at the turn of the 19th-20th century).

Yes, you need an EW fix. Unfortunately, it doesn't look as though there is much on the horizon. Maybe the Bobby film will do something for him. Did I mention I saw a trailer for Happy Feet? I thought it looked as though it might be rather charming. I couldn't tell you which penguin was supposed to be played by EW, though.

Have a blessed, lovely Christmas! :)

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:08 am

Ereshkigal, about Brokeback Mountain, yes, I am really looking forward to it. Not just because of Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility, but because of his The Ice Storm, which has become one of my favourite "subdued, dark and moody films about deeply feeling yet very disfunctional households," which include Remains of the Day, American Beauty, Scenes From a Marriage, Wild Strawberries, and, perhaps, Ordinary People. (The two you probably never heard of are Ingmar Bergman's.)

I also feel like writing something that ties together the hunger I see in readers of "One True Pairing 'OTP'" LotR slash fanfiction (usually starring Sam and Frodo), fans of the new King Kong's relationship between Anne Darrow and Kong, and what sounds like the sort of love that will pertain in Brokeback Mountain. That is, the appeal of a love (chaste or eroticised) that endures throughout life and even beyond death -- the way, more and more, real life relationships seem not to. Why did Titanic do so well? The special effects? The "action"? I am betting it was because of that sort of romance; the love that wasn't to be yet was, which lived in spite of all opposition and endured beyond death. I think it was the repeat viewers who gave that film the box office status it has, viewers who were dying for, thirsting for a sense of that sort of love.

~ Mechtild

P.S. Here's a link I ran across in a BBM (Brokeback Mountain) discussion; it's an interview with Heath Ledger, from a U.S. gay-issues oriented magazine, The Advocate. I thought it very interesting, even if one is not interested in the film or even the actor.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/wr ... 55041.html
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Texas-hobbit » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:05 am

Eresh! I was just thinking about you the other day, wondering how the writing was going (the novel, I mean). How exciting! :happydance: I don't know how you keep at it with all you've taken on. Keep us updated. :) I'll also check the Reading Room to see when your article appears. It must have been something Christopher Lee did before LotR which inspired you to write, because you've been at it a while, haven't you? My memory of him, early on, were roles as bad guys in westerns. I know I've missed many of his performances, though, since there are big gaps in my movie watching.

About The Station Agent, the actor's name is Peter Dinklage, who was on a short-lived TV series this fall, Threshold. I couldn't find time to watch it beyond the premier episode. He'll be around, though, because he's great. All three principals in that film were excellent. :lol: I could see Elijah in the Bobby Cannavale role, although Mr. C. was wonderfully funny. Height wouldn't have been an issue for Elijah, working next to Mr. Dinklage. I love those quirky little films. :P From the sound of it, EII would be in that category. It still hasn't been in my neck of Fangorn, although I could have missed it. If it was here, it wouldn't have been here long.

I enjoyed Walk the Line, by the way. It's standard bio-pic fare, but the performances by Phoenix and Witherspoon make it a stand-out. :)

Mech, I knew what you meant by Narnia's visual similarity to LotR. It was evident, even from the trailer. But I've noticed that occuring in a number of films, especially since there have been a rash of "epic" films over the past few years. There have been several attempts to copy the Pelennor/Theoden's Speech/Charge of the Rohirrim scene, but who can beat Bernard Hill's stunning delivery? While I have my complaints about the trilogy overall, PJ and Weta (and his army of helping directors) set a high standard, didn't they?

The Narnia books have never been among my favorite, so my expectations for LWW would never have been as high as for LotR. The same would be true even for The Hobbit, if it ever comes out on film. Both are children's books, with simpler story structures, and I never became as emotionally entangled with them as I have become with LotR. There aren't many books that lock me into a near purist stance. To Kill a Mockingbird would be one, but that film was so powerful, I have no complaints about it. And there has been enough in PJ's films to keep me coming back, though I must keep the remote handy so the "skip scene" button is accessible. :D My family is going to be gone Christmas and I have a bout of the flu coming on, so I'm planning to veg in front of the TV this weekend and watch FotR. I may even peek at some of my favorite scenes from the last 2, as well. :)

Merry Christmas! :)

Edit: Eresh, when your article appears in the RR, would you mind putting a link in here? I am not always able to find what I'm looking for in there. :| Thanks!
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby nienor*lalaith » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:54 pm

I'm taking what will probably be my only chance to post here for the holidays now...my grandmother wanted a big reunion trip for her 75th birthday, which means I'm facing very long car drives and grouchy uncles and cold hotel rooms for New Year's and on. Then it's back to ghastly tests not long after getting back. Ugh. For now, I'll enjoy this one week of peace...

If I had it my way, I would be shopping on LOTRShop.com for myself this Xmas and getting the fantastic-looking, complete soundtrack of FotR that was released recently, or that Ringers documentary, or a Middle Earth map, or a mug with Frodo's face on it...alas, there is no money, no time or place to put everything. Maybe someday. There's only a slight Elijah withdrawl for me, having seen GSH fairly recently and walking by the pretty EII poster at my theater every time I go (still no release date though...). But I kind of wish I had time to sit down and watch FotR of something without interruptions. I will never, ever tire of that film.

Funny how the Narnia books haven't been favorites here. I felt, for the first time, what it must have been like for longtime LotR readers to walk into FotR when I went to see The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I read those books when I was about 10, and countless times after that...it was my first taste of fantasy literature, of a world within a world. I was horribly nervous walking into the theater. I wanted to like the movie so much. And I did. Never mind the things that, in my opinion, would be hard for anyone to put onto film (e.g. talking animals, Father Christmas), no matter how good the writing/visuals/acting are. The story was there. The characters I remembered were there. Maybe there were LotR similarities, but I wasn't really looking for any, and therefore didn't see them that well. Nothing will ever be Lord of the Ringsagain, but I did enjoy the first Narnia film, and I do hope we get to see some sequels in the future.

I also saw King Kong, almost all out of support for PJ and Fran and them, because I wasn't too interested in the whole story to begin with. I am so happy for Peter, because he finally got the time and the financial support and creative freedom to make the movie that inspired him in the first place. But didn't really like the movie as much as I wanted to. After the billionth creature fight or action sequence I was just a little tired. I never felt any real sympathy for any character, even Ann/Kong. Visually though, it was impressive. 1930's New York in particular, was absolutely beautiful. Kong himself was real. This group of filmmakers have my absolute admiration and respect.

More things to do...so be it. I hope you all have the happiest holidays you can have. All the best...
~n*l
nienor*lalaith
Shield Bearer

Postby Maewyn » Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:31 am

Late this afternoon I caught the tail-end of a program on TV called "My Favourite Film". I think viewers had to vote, with the winning movie announced at the end of the program. Anyway, the winning movie was Lord of the Rings, which goes to show that Australians have very good taste!

They also showed clips of different actors saying which films were their favourites. One was Elijah, saying his was Harvey with Jimmy Stewart. It must have been recorded when he was promoting Everything is Illuminated, because there were sunflowers on the set.

By the way, even though EII had been advertised as opening in Australia at the end of November, it didn't make it to Perth. :x What else is new?

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Maewyn :)
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby Texas-hobbit » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:09 pm

nienor, I decided to circumvent the unreliability of Santa's gift giving and ordered the soundtrack for myself. :lol: I can't wait to get it, although it is the full version of RotK that I'm really hungering for. I have no idea how long it will be before that one comes out. The section I'm most interested in is the bit played over Sam and Frodo's memories of the Shire, as they lie on the rocks, waiting to die. It's done mostly with the intruments playing in unison and it's so lovely, I'm tempted to close my eyes and just listen to it during that scene. If Frodo and Sam weren't so heartbreaking at that point, I might have some success with the eye-closing. :|

My daughter loved the Narnia series as you did, but she's not looking forward to the films. She seems to have a bit of a purist's stance on it, but I plan to tell her to read Wildwood's review when she returns from her trip. Wildwood, who, as you know, is unmatched in her purism, gave the film her stamp of approval. :) Good luck, by the way, with your family visit and your upcoming tests. :hug: I'm sure your grandmother will enjoy you immensely! :)

Maewyn, I wonder what was the appeal of Harvey to make it Elijah's all time favorite? It's been a long time since I've seen that film, but if I were to pick a James Stewart film, it'd have to be Vertigo. However, it's on my top 10 list, anyway. :lol: How nice to see that LotR was the final choice on the program. :)

Eresh, I noticed your article on the front page of TORc! :happydance: I rarely go to the main page and clicked on it by accident. I'll go back later and make a comment there. But how well you made the connection between Mr. Lee's career and the furtherance of your own. I also love the little peek you give us about the topic of your novel. :D Very intriguing! Please keep us posted on its progress! :)

Merry Christmas, everyone and Happy Hanukkah, for those who begin celebrating that holiday on the 26th!

I will leave a link to a very silly and funny Santa/reindeer song. I find it especially amusing when the white reindeer takes over on the second verse:

Santa Gets Down
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby Ereshkigal » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:37 pm

Thanks for noticing, Tex. I received news that my article was being published just before Christmas, but I didn't have time to post the link here then. On Christmas night, after dinner was all put away and I was snugly tucked into my bed, I came down with some sort of intestinal virus that broke my gastric system. I have bad acid reflux, and for some reason this virus left me with such bad gastric pains, and the inability to eat, that my doctor had to put me on percocet (pain killer), prevacid, and phenegran (for the nausea). I normally don't take pain killers, but my blood pressure was up so high my doctor said I had to take it or he would have to hospitalize me. So I've been in a drug induced haze (a soma vacation, for all you Brave New World fans) for the last few days. I still don't have much of an appetite, but the pain is gone. Hey, at least this will be the first Christmas I haven't gained weight, but lost it instead!

Here's a link to the article below. It's more about the influence LOTR had on my life than the One Lad in particular, but you all have the secret knowledge that TOL was my muse for a character. I don't share the information lightly!

I am literally just a few pages from finishing, and if I hadn't been struck by this illness, would have finished this week. I'm hoping I'll finish in the next day or two. Then comes the fun but rewarding work of redrafting, which I love.

http://www.theonering.com/docs/19512.html
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hero's Song » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:08 pm

Hi! I'm an "oldbie" here on TORC, but have been a silent swooner for quite awhile and thought it was time I "came out of the closet" to a wider group. :D I am 43 years old, but can't deny the fact that EW (who's technically young enough to be my son) can get my heart beating pretty fast - especially as Frodo.

Those Flipper screen caps someone posted awhile back were VERY fine and I admit to saving some for my "collection." :) (See an example of it below - I'm sure you gals can appreciate it ;) )

Perhaps I'm a little like Jonathon, the collector. 8) Yes, I went to see "Everything is Illuminated" even though I live in rural Indiana and had to travel about 80 miles and go to an old "hole in the wall" theatre to see it. I drug my family there because it was "my birthday present" to myself :P Fortunately, they agreed it was a wonderful film.

Well, I am a busy person and spend most of my time in the Middle Aged and Crazy guild, so I'm not sure how often I'll be able to drop in here, but I'll try. I'm sure we could have some fun discussions.

We gals in the MAC guild all swoon over LOTR men, elves or hobbits, but I'm really the only true Frodo fan over there and it gets lonely sometimes. :(

Any middle aged ladies here? I'd love to have you drop in the MAC guild sometime.

Later,
Hero
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:49 pm

Hero's song,
We gals in the MAC guild all swoon over LOTR men, elves or hobbits, but I'm really the only true Frodo fan over there and it gets lonely sometimes.

Well, I used to post regularly over there in the MAC Guild, once upon a time, if you may remember !!!
I stopped because I was spending far too much time over at the Khazaddum site, and, having met a lot of the ladies there in London, decided to cut my time at Tolkien Online a little by confining myself to just one thread here, and set up a Live Journal instead, where I can post about anything I like withmout going too far off topic...

If you really like Elijah Wood, you are very welcome over here at our little place, but nowadays this place is very slow indeed, apart from the occasional flurry of activity now and then, when someone posts a film review or the like...
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Hero's Song » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:13 pm

Of course I remember you, Wendy Lady! Sorry, I guess I just had a "senior moment" :doh: I had no idea you were still posting on TORC, but then I don't get around much. :oops:

We've missed you on MAC because right now we are all Americans, but would love to expand our MACadamian nuttiness around the world. :D

Several of us got together at Dr. Boot's house last June and are planning a specially large moot there again this coming June. We have placed it the weekend of the full moon (June 10-11) so we can have a moonlight dance in her meadow under the "party tree." Doesn't that sound like fun?! You should try to join us. We also got together in November to see the LOTR exhibit in Indianapolis (Indiana) and watch ROTK on IMAX.

Can you gals tell me what EW's next film will be. I know he's doing the voice for an animated movie, but when do we get to see THAT face again?! Also, anybody know what he's up to right now?

Hello to all,
Hero
Hero's Song
Ranger of the North

Postby MithLuin » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:37 am

Hello, all! A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

I know I have not been here in ages. So, hello to all! I hope you are all well here, and that the hectic holiday season rolled by smoothly enough.

Hmmm, let's see, movies.... I saw Narnia and Goblet of Fire just before Christmas (the latter having the Happy Feet trailer). My friends were waiting around the movie theater lobby for me (must I always run late? :whistle:), and saw all the trailers loop continuously. They "got" most of them, but had no idea what the Happy Feet one was about. When I showed up, as soon as it came on, I was like, "ooooooh, Elijah Wood's in this one!" I got some funny looks. As far as I can tell, it's about hippie-esque tap-dancing penguins. Very much "feel-good" and no plot. The Coke comercial with the baby polar bear and the Penguins had a more discernable story-line ;). But maybe it's better than the trailer? I also could not identify any of the penguins as 'Lij - maybe he's a more minor character?

There is a reason Narnia "looked" like Middle Earth - they filmed it in New Zealand. Also, the Weapons/Costumes/Props were handled by WETA (if I am not mistaken). I thought WETA was more involved, but it turned out the special effects were handled by Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic. (Yes, I hung around and watched the credits ;))

I very much enjoyed Goblet of Fire. Parts of it were silly, but I like how they handled the Weasley twins. A lot of story elements were introduced, but then never developed. But my absolute favorite part was the reborn-Voldemort's swirly black robes. They looked like shadow or liquid gossamer. So light-weight and airy and swirly. I want to know how they did that! (Hmmm, should I be worried that I seem to be swooning for Voldemort? Just his clothes, really!)
MithLuin
Mariner

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:14 am

Hero's Song
Can you gals tell me what EW's next film will be. I know he's doing the voice for an animated movie, but when do we get to see THAT face again?! Also, anybody know what he's up to right now?

Well, to the best of my knowledge, he is in LA right now, filming the part of a man who gets married to an older woman in order to dodge the draft for Vietnem, in the late sixties, and is staying at the Ambassador Hotel on the day the Robert Kennedy was shot...
"Bobby" is the name of this film and is being directed by Emilio Esteves...
and this storyline is the central one of the movie, I think...
The woman who Elijah's character gets married to is being played by Lindsay Lohan ( Hey, wait...I thought she was meant to be older ???...Oh well !! )

After that, he will be starring in the title role of "Iggy"...a biopic of the drugged-up old rock star, Iggy Pop... :shock: :shock: :shock: ( Elijah Wood = Iggy Pop ??? !!! Nah - can't see it myself !! )
Anyway, hence the probable reason why he is looking a little thin these days !!!

The animated feature is called "Happy Feet" in which Elijah voices the central character 'Mumbles', a young penguin who is unable to sing, in order to find a mate like the other penguins, but find that he can, however, tap-dance like a pro...
Completely bonkers, of course !!

Most of my info in these matters is gleaned from the myriads of very serious Elijah Wood fans over at this thread at Khazaddum :-

[url]http://www.khazaddum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3898&page=1]The Faculty Lounge 11[/url]

Anyone is welcome there to discuss Elijah's career and talents, but not to swoon....there is another thread there for that !!
Hope this is all interesting stuff, if you don't already know any of it...
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

PreviousNext

Return to Fandom Archives