The "Waiting For Jonathan" ELIJAH WOOD Appreciation Thread

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

The "Waiting For Jonathan" ELIJAH WOOD Appreciatio

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:17 am

Here again, is our new thread home..just as friendly as the old one, but a little bare in the decoration department...

So, given that decoration is my only real talent ( :roll: ) here, for your delectation, is a link to a selection of screencaps that Kindling has very kindly done for us all in her LJ, featuring the talented Mr Wood locking lips with the very pretty Ms. Moore, in a scene from "All I Want"...

Kindling's Screencaps

This is the caption underneath, which is a question asked of Mandy during a magazine interview...
Mandy Moore, from Twist magazine:
When asked on her favorite kiss out of the three onscreen smoochfests with Shane West (A Walk to Remember), Elijah Wood (Lord of the Rings) and Trent Ford (Gosford Park), Mandy replies: "I have to choose? They're all fantastic! But since you asked, I would say that Elijah edges by a little. I mean, aside from the fact that he's gorgeous, he's a really gentle but passionate kisser, really sexy. Maybe I just remember that most because I remember being really nervous because I was making the moves in the scene and he's just such a nice guy -- a real sweetie. He made me feel comfortable and the scene became just real fun to do."

I ask you, what better way to start this new thread ???

All together now...

SWOOOOOOON...*thud*

:love:
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Lembas_Junkie » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:38 pm

That EW can make me feel more comfortable for a scene any time! :D
Lembas_Junkie
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:34 pm

Thanks for starting the thread, Wendy and that's a great title.

And nice piccies. I still thought EW's scene with MM was dull as dirt, but the caps make it look like it was a LOT of fun. I wrote an email a while back to (perhaps, Ereshkigal?) that when it comes to onscreen kissing, sometimes what feels good doesn't look good. It's the director's job to finesse the kissing so that it looks as good as Mandy Moore thought it felt. :lol:

Of course, OBVIOUSLY, people in the LJ you linked thought those kisses looked pretty darned good. But I didn't.

The best part of what you linked, though, was the string of posts underneath. Some pretty funny women (I am pretty sure they're women) post there.

Lembas wrote:
That EW can make me feel more comfortable for a scene any time! :D

Lembas, here comes EW, ready to make you comfortable. I think you are going to be doing the "tent scene" ... (see posts below screencaps; nudge; nudge).

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA. :twisted:

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Ereshkigal » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:22 am

Whew--found this.

I'm up early--it's a little after 4:00 am. Heartburn mainly, but also some other RL problems keeping me awake.

Sorry, but I have to agree with Mech (yes, it was me you e-mailed)--the All I Want performance, both kissing and non-kissing, left me cold. But it's nice to know it felt better than it looked.

I love the new trailer for Hooligans--especially that exclamation after one of Matt's new mates indicates he fights like a girl. Tee hee. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one.

Well, since I'm up this early, I might as well start writing. See you later.

Edited because I forgot who I was.
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby Bree379 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:02 am

Hello ladies!

Eresh, I hope everythings all right. Glad to know you're still plugging away at your writing!

Wendy... wow... what a way to start up the thread. I've never seen All I Want, but those caps made me think twice about the reviews I've heard ;) But I guess I'll just keep my swooning to the caps, I trust you ladies' judgment enough to realize a viewing may just tarnish perfectly good swoontworthy caps!

It's been quite a while since I stopped in here. Life got to throwing me some rotten eggs so I got way behind in the last thread, and I don't know, it just seems so overwhelming when I've missed so much. But it feels like we're starting with a fresh slate here, what with the other thread banished to the archives. So I'm ready to start anew!

Obviously though, I poked my head in a couple times for some quality lurking and I'm tres excited about Hooligans/Green Street! And, as the title implies, we'll soon get to see Elijah as Jonathan! Any trailer for that yet?

I can hardly contain my swoons as I goggle and drool. :lol: :oops:
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby AquilaChrysaetos » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:15 am

Whee, new thread! Hello my fellow Frodophiles!
I'd better keep this short. It's my sister's birthday today and I need to get read to go out. :)

Eresh - Well done on completing a new chapter. I look forward to when your book is finished. I too like Green Day, especially their 'American Idiot' album. Very left wing album that. 'Clown Princes', hee hee, thanks for the extra info. Squee, I had no idea that you were a Potterite! I hope you enjoyed Half-Blood Prince. I'll probably do a lengthy review in my LJ at some point. All I will say here is that I cried my way through the last two chapters.

Mech - Darn it! I was looking forward to seeing Hooligans in August. It does look like a really good film, even without the added bonus of EW. Ah, the post-its, 'wonderfully frank body', *snickers*.

Wendy + Mech - I did think I'd seen somewhere else about the 'old-ness' for lack for a better term. I think that is perhaps why Mr Wood interests me so much. It's widely known amongst my peers that I have a penchant for older men. Heh, EW seems to be the oldest, young person I know of. Hope that makes sense.

Wendy - Thanks for the Hooligans link, looks pretty cool. I'm sure this film will make me ashamed of British football again though, *sigh*.

Hmm, I knew there was a reason I didn't like Mandy Moore. Kidding! I'm afraid I can't give an unbiased opinion about the screen caps since romance scenes in films, generally, make me squirm. However I did think that what Miss Moore said in that interview was incredibly sweet. :)
That EW can make me feel more comfortable for a scene any time!

Hee hee.

And now I must join Wendy on the floor:
Sw :heart: :heart: :heart: n *thud*

Edit: Ooh, an almost Simul-post with Bree. Glad to see you're back. :D I hope everything is okay now.

~Aqi~
AquilaChrysaetos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Bree379 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:24 am

Just thought you ladies might want to read this short article. It just proves how intelligent and thoughtful Mr. Wood is, even without a lot of formal education.

I'll walk early in the morning with ya any time, Elijah! :)
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:05 am

Bree
Thank-you for that charming and somewhat intelligent interview with Our Lij, even though it was only about half a page long !!

Now I know that not all Americans are like this, and that many of you are eager to try out new experiences and tastes when abroad, but it has to be said that London, and Europe generally, seems to get its fair share of the kind of American tourist who ticks off the sights mindlessly, one by one on their "To Do" list, then goes and gets a McDonald's for dinner, because ....well, you just can't beat that taste of home, can you ?... and you always know what you are going to get ( even though it is tasteless junk !! ) ...
So, how refreshing it is, and not entirely surprising, considering who it is, to hear an American say this :-

"I'm not the kind of person who pines for America when I am away," Wood says. "If I'm given the opportunity to travel, I will immerse myself in the culture and experience what the locals experience."

Hurray for intelligent tourism...

( By the way, I am sure there are plenty of thick Brits who are equally clueless when they travel, and they, like their idiotic American counterparts shouldn't be allowed a passport, imho...)

"People refer to the city as the Gothic Disneyland," he says. "Some say the theme park was modeled after Old Town Square. I don't know if it's true, but there's a similar quality—though Prague is much darker."

Actually, Adam and I had a very similar conversation, when we were standing in Prague Old Town Square, because the Disneyland Castle has turrets just like the ones on Czech castles all over the Republic...
Well, now you can see what he means for yourselves...here it is :-

Prague Old Town Square

(You can view more pics of Prague by scrolling down to the bottom and clicking on next, or going to the top and clicking on the photo album
title...)
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby AquilaChrysaetos » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:31 pm

Hello everyone. :)

Bree - I too would like to thank you for the article. I love to see people immersing themselves in the culture of a different place.

Wendy - I know it's a stereotype of Americans, but I have to agree. I've spoken to some people who think abroad is the next state. But what I really hate is places being called 'quaint' because houses, bars, shops etc are smaller. I have to say though, the overwhelming majority of people I know are not like that. :)
And yes, there are thick Brits. I once witnessed two women trying to buy coffee at a cafe in spain. They refused to speak Spanish and they were pointing furiously to a picture which the poor waiter couldn't see. Needless to say, they failed to buy the coffee. I was so embarrassed, I pretended not to be English.
I'd love to go to Prague. I did have the opportunity, but I couldn't go, for reasons too convoluted to go into here. It sounds wonderful.
I can't see your pics Wendy, says the page is unavailable. I thought you might need to be logged in, so I'm going to check and then report back. :)

By the way, since we're talking about tourism. I'm off to Spain on wednesday, to Figueres, which is just outside Barcelona. I'll post again before then, but just thought I'd say it here, since it was relevant to the topic. ;)

Just one final thought:

Edit: Hmm, apparently I'm no longer registered on photobucket. Oh well.
AquilaChrysaetos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby mechtild » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:02 pm

Aquila, you wrote:

I can't see your pics Wendy, says the page is unavailable. I thought you might need to be logged in, so I'm going to check and then report back.

(...) Edit: Hmm, apparently I'm no longer registered on photobucket. Oh well.

Yes, you are, Aquila. My Photobucket account was down this afternoon, just like Wendy's. They had a blog to click, saying a number of areas were down. Mine is back up and I see that Wendy's is, too. Check yours. :) (And check out Wendy's Prague trip photos - dee-vine!)

Edited to add:

I forgot to make any comments! I've been up most of the night finishing up three nights in a row doing my "last read-through" of my draft for Ch. 12 of Threshold. Even after three months of toiling and angsting over this one, I still could barely hit "send" to email it to its faithful beta readers (Scarlet, Wendy and Pearl/Diamond of Long Cleeve) to be read and assessed. I just can't stop tweaking and re-doing things over and over and over. :roll: Everytime I would go over the draft, I'd either think, "Wow! This is the best chapter yet!" or else I'd be cast in the slough of despond saying, "Yech! This stinks!" I lose all distance after I get into the final finessing and wrangling over a bit of writing, so the process takes forever.

Does this happen to you, Ereshkigal? You are a writer; your response would be interesting. Other writers have reported they just plow through their writing, going straight through to the end, and then go back and do all the tweaking once they are completely finished (lest they lose their original verve and seminal idea). "Seminal." That has a nice ring to it. Ring. Ringbearer. ("Oh, stop!")

Bree, even though I did not like EW in All I Want, and liked the film even less, some very intelligent, respectable EW fans over at The Faculty like the film well enough (none of them think it's "brilliant" or anything like that) and think EW does very nice work in it. So, really, don't be afraid to watch it and form your own opinion. Even if you hate it, you will survive. After all, you've seen the Real Article -- in person! How could that impression ever be tarnished? =:)

P.S. to Wendy: In your link to Kindling's LJ with the All I Want screencaps, which pics do you think really grabbed me? Nope, none from the film; they were the icon of Undone27 and (secondly) the icon of Kindling. I believe they are 'out of character' representations of the actual Mr. Wood but one can see from such icons how there could be an EW fan site (found on my LJ rambles...) called, "The Woodcock." *snort*

I had been thinking of naming a Tookland tavern (in Threshold), "The Woodcock," since it's an area full of hobbits keen of hunting. But now at the back of my mind there will be the name of that fansite.... 8)

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Ereshkigal » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:14 pm

mechtild wrote:I've been up most of the night finishing up three nights in a row doing my "last read-through" of my draft for Ch. 12 of Threshold. Even after three months of toiling and angsting over this one, I still could barely hit "send" to email it to its faithful beta readers (Scarlet, Wendy and Pearl/Diamond of Long Cleeve) to be read and assessed. I just can't stop tweaking and re-doing things over and over and over. :roll: Everytime I would go over the draft, I'd either think, "Wow! This is the best chapter yet!" or else I'd be cast in the slough of despond saying, "Yech! This stinks!" I lose all distance after I get into the final finessing and wrangling over a bit of writing, so the process takes forever.

Does this happen to you, Ereshkigal? You are a writer; your response would be interesting.
~ Mechtild

When I used to write academic pieces, I joked to my friends that I re-wrote until I didn't understand it anymore, and then I knew I was through. With my creative writing, I'm pretty obsessive on re-writes. I love the re-write immediately after the rough draft, because I find the rough draft the hardest work, and the re-write the best work with much less effort. I guess I'm from the school, "how can I know what I think until I see what I've written," and once I've done that, then I can re-write with abandon.

I basically quit revising when I just can't stand to look at it anymore. When I go back later and look at my work, I usually find then something else I would have changed.

In short, I totally understand why Jackson would keep fiddling with and adding shots up until the absolute moment he had to turn the finished film into the producers.

But with this novel, the process itself is so much fun, that I wonder if I shall ever be able to give it up entirely. At least it is a trilogy, so I won't be through even after I finish the first novel.

Hey, BTW, a total OT here, but I just took my girls to see March of the Penguins. That is a wonderful documentary, and you'll never fail to see penguins as anything less than heroic again. Just bring a sweater--no matter how hot it is outside, the theatre will seem freezing just by what is up on the screen.

TTFN
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby Maewyn » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:36 pm

Hello Everyone.

Congratulations Mechtild, on finally letting Chapter 12 out of your grasp and into your beta's hands! I can hardly wait to read it! I know you've slaved over it for so long, and I'm sure it was well worth the wait (if earlier chapters are anything to go by!). =:)

Eresh - it sounds like your story is a truly major project! A trilogy! Wow! Good luck with it.

Um.. I'd like to announce that I have succumbed, and opened my own LJ here. Please drop in and say hello!

Maewyn :)
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:02 am

Ereshkigal, thanks for telling me (and us) what your experiences have been, writing, such as ...

When I used to write academic pieces, I joked to my friends that I re-wrote until I didn't understand it anymore, and then I knew I was through.

I do that with my fiction! I keep tweaking and cutting and pasting and shifting and putting back; tossing out and restoring; and going over and over it so much that I finally feel buried inside it and can't see it anymore.

Yes, like you, I understand Jackson's compulsion very well!

Maewyn, I am hoping the wait won't be as long as usual before Ch. 12 is posted. I am hoping the amount of revising I did upfront will have borne fruit: a draft that doesn't need much further work. We shall see!

P.S., I loved your bio on your "User Info" page in your new LJ. You write very well.

Lembas, I saw your comment in my LJ. Did I say I loved that icon pic of you in your sun specs? But I am off now for the weekend and won't be back until Mon. night. So hold the fort! And Frodo! ("No problem!" Lembas purrs, slipping into her leathers...)

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:22 am

Aquila
Your story of the thick Brits made me laugh !! SO typical...If you can't speak the language, just shout loudly, and gesticulate wildly... :roll: :roll: :roll:
THAT'll make 'em understand, won't it ?!!!!!!

Yes the 'quaint' thing is VERY annoying, as well as referring to things as 'cute' when they are not, and 'darlin' when they are just attractive...Grrrrr :x !!
Cute, darlin', and quaint are three of my most favourite hated words
...( I have a little collection, you know ! )

Mech, and all her readers

I have read your first submitted draft of chapter 12, and I can tell everyone here that I liked it a LOT...there is a beautiful dream sequence, and a very serious discussion about an issue that we hadn't thought of before....
(No spoilers there...just whetting your appetites !! :wink: )

So well done, Mech, and I hope that the other beta readers liked it too...
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby Ereshkigal » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:05 pm

WendyLadyofLothlorien wrote:Mech, and all her readers

I have read your first submitted draft of chapter 12, and I can tell everyone here that I liked it a LOT...there is a beautiful dream sequence, and a very serious discussion about an issue that we hadn't thought of before....
(No spoilers there...just whetting your appetites !! :wink: )

So well done, Mech, and I hope that the other beta readers liked it too...

Pant, pant, pant. I'm quivering with anticipation (say that in your best Dr. Frankenfurter voice).

:) :) :) :) :) :)
Ereshkigal
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:18 pm

Just a quick note to say I'm back! I just got back from my weekend visit across the state and am about to go put in a shift at work. (Whew!)

I just wanted to say thanks, Wendy, for the kind words for Threshold's Ch. 12. :hug:

No, there is no word yet from Scarlet or Pearl (the other two readers). But I'll check when I get home tonight! Once I finish all the edits, if they are not too radical, it shouldn't be that long before I can post it at its sites.

Thanks, Ereshkigal, for panting! :lol:

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Bree379 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:25 am

What's this? News of an imminent chapter 12? Be still my heart! ;)

That's great Mech! I do believe I'll go and read a few chapters back, if not the whole thing, just to refresh myself. I'm sure I won't mind at all...

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the article! Wendy, your pictures from Prague are absolutely gorgeous. I'll have to add that to my list of places I must visit. I would absolutely love to just take off one summer and travel across Europe, not really with any itinerary, but just going wherever the wind takes me. It's such a romantic idea... but I having a feeling that in reality I would get ooged out by the hostels and such. But still, I would love to do it. Breathe the real stuff, eat the real stuff, meet the real people; not stay in some "Americanized" hotel. But that's a bit idealistic and I know I'll just end up in a 3 star hotel or something. I think the worst thing is when people travel to a country and cannot speak ANYTHING in the language. It seems to me that it's the responsibility of the traveler to learn at least basic words such as "yes" "no" "bathroom" "thank you"... at least attempt communication with the locals. I don't know, maybe once again I'm being too idealistic! :)

Maybe I should just bring peace offerings with me no matter where I go...
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby AquilaChrysaetos » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:54 pm

Hello everyone! Just a quick drive by post this evening.

Wendy - I'm glad I made you chuckle, those ladies certainly had the same effect on me. What I'm here for really. :D

Mech - Ooh, I look forward with baited breath to this new chapter. I'm sure it'll be just as marvellous as the previous 11.
And I loved Eresh's comment:
I'm quivering with anticipation (say that in your best Dr. Frankenfurter voice).

Oh Frodo! <- say that in your best Janet voice. Hee hee :twisted:

Bree - I don't think you're being too idealistic. I'm sure peace offerings would be appreciated though. :) I found it very embarrassing forgetting what little German I possessed whilst in Austria, but it wasn't that I hadn't tried to look up words, I just went blank. Very bad!

Well, I'm off to Spain tomorrow for a whole fortnight. I'm going camping with my best friend and her family, who I've known for 14 years now, so it should be lots of fun. I'll be pretty close to the French border in Cataluna, incase anyone's interested. I'm just looking foward to being near the sea again and getting some more sun, after the abysmal weather we've been having over here lately!

All of you take care of yourselves. See you soon!
:grouphug:
~Aqi~
AquilaChrysaetos
Citizen of Imladris

Postby mechtild » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:37 pm

Howdy, Frodo/EW fans! :grouphug:

Bree, I am so encouraged by your posted squees, anticipating Ch. 12. I still have not heard from either Scarlet or Pearl/Di of Long Cleeve, but have my fingers crossed. In the meantime I have made do with Wendy's email in which she called the chapter "FAB!" How that makes my bosom swell with relieved appreciation. ( :hug: to Wendy.)

Bree, you wrote regarding making a footloose trip to Europe one day,

It's such a romantic idea... but I have a feeling that in reality I would get ooged out by the hostels and such.

What's "ooged"? :P

I went to Europe on my own for months, when I was 24 (ages ago). I don't regret it a bit, but it turned out to be a poor idea to go alone. It was both inconvenient (in many unforeseen ways) and lonesome for this introvert -- however independent and free-spirited I thought I was. :roll:

If you are by nature an extrovert, though, it probably would be a very good experience for you. The youth hostels were great; they were places where you could meet other young travelers. Unfortunately, they were often full and I would have to spend the night on an overnight train, "paid for" by using my Eurail pass.

Aquila, I did not realise you had finished the rest of Threshold; I know you mentioned having started it but I wondered if you had actually got far. In a recent post you mentioned disliking watching love scenes in films. Do you respond to love scenes in print differently, then? I am not being sarcastic at all, Aquila, for I myself tend to squirm when watching explicit love scenes in a film, especially if the actors are obviously naked. It seems to be too much for me to handle, when it is visually presented. I always tend to start thinking of how the scene was managed, technically, without being actual porn, and what it was like to be on set. I end up feeling very uncomfortable, even if I am titillated at the same time. However, give me the same scene in print -- even more explicitly -- and I lap it right up off a printed page. Odd of me, probably. 8)

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:04 am

OT to my email correspondents:

I have not received any emails since I returned from the weekend. I stopped getting reply notifications from TORc ever since they did their last big switcheroo (which I have not been able to correct) but now K-D's reply notices aren't coming, either! (...)

ETA: Apparently I did lose some mail, but my email now seems to be working. I think! *crosses fingers and toes*

~ Mechtild
Last edited by mechtild on Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Bree379 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:23 pm

Mech, you're trip around Europe sounds exaclty like what I want to do! However, I'm positive I would have to go with a group of friends. It's not that I wouldn't love to travel alone and meet people, it's that I'm terrified to travel alone and meet people... if you get my drift.

hm... what's ooged you ask... let's see. I guess it's not a term that all are used to! But it's such a great word, the way it sounds is just what it means. You know, if you're really grossed out by something, what do you say? "ew" Now draw that out and make it a phrasal verb (like grossed out for example) and you get "ooged."

I hope that helped!

I hate hotels, they completely freak me out. Even really nice ones. I hate the thought of sleeping in a bed that has been slept on by who knows how many people. And I can only imagine a hostel would be worse. But the non-obsessive part of me would LOVE to do that. I am, however, going to Italy with my architectural history professor (he takes a group of students each year) in January, so I'll be staying in hotels! ;)

And I need to learn some Italian...

But anyway that is so completely not Frodo/Elijah related! It's ok, I'll slap my own hand.

Back on track now, I am so excited to hear the word "FAB" applied to the new chapter! That's a strong word, that is, so I'm eagerly awaiting great things!
Bree379
Ranger of the North

Postby mechtild » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:41 pm

Ah, Bree, you hate even nice hotels? I would love them! I just have to make do with the lesser ones since we can't afford the nicer ones. I hope you are able to overcome your antipathy for used beds. Some of the best beds ever are antiques, so that, of course, someone else has slept in them before you. I don't recall hostel beds being awful; one had to bring one's own linens in those days, although they had blankets. Most visitors to hostels seemed to be young, healthy and hale, although many of them smoked (a European passtime). I am guessing your "ooge" factor has more to do with the idea than the reality of it. This may alter over time.

As for Chapter 12, I have received notes from Pearl (Diamond of Long Cleeve, on TORc and Board 77), so those revisions are done. (Yeah!) That leaves Scarlet. My email still is mucked up, so I am worried her notes are not getting through.

Scarlet! Are you out there? I am here, although my email seems to be on the fritz! You can leave a note here or on my LJ or even a PM (private message) at K-D; I am checking regularly in all those places, just in case.

Speaking of Board 77, has anyone heard from Wilma?

P.S. How do you like my new sig? A K-D friend was manipping Frodo screencaps, using an oil paints effect. I thought it suited this cap perfectly.

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Texas-hobbit » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:45 pm

Salutations, Fro-dames! :P I have been literally “off the grid”, communications-wise for about 3 weeks. Computer and TV disconnected for most of that time. I have been doggedly sanding, scraping, painting, staining, or reupholstering almost everything in two rooms of my house as well as some defenseless items for my classroom. In fact, I suspect the days spent in clouds of stripping fumes and oil-based primer may have induced a state of madness, a sort of catatonic, yet ambulatory euphoria, if you will. Anything that couldn’t sprout legs and run away from me, I hit with some sort of power tool or refinishing chemical. If my cats had not been so swift of paw, I fear both would now be sporting slipcovers, with tailored skirting and contrast piping. Fortunately for them, a tattered bit of Hurricane Emily brought to my city some swift, head-clearing breezes and I have regained a sense of self-control.

So I’ve laid the sandpaper aside, rolled the temporary computer cart over to the wall and plugged ‘er in! (I’m still eyeing my larger computer armoire…hmmm…I may redo it before I put the PC back into place...sure do like how the antique black dining chairs turned out...oops...sorry :lol: ).

Well, I went to the archives to read the last few pages of the former thread. It is so good to see Aquila (the languidly-basking-about-in-Spain Aquila) and Delphinus taking a moment to check back in with us. I know you’ve both been busy, but you’ll always find a home here, whenever you have time to stick your nose in and say hi! :grouphug: I have relied mostly on radio for news of events in London and know things are still feeling tense for many there. Here’s hoping you and your families (you, too, Wendy), stay safe. Autumnelf, according to my calculations, you ought to be in England right now, having a great time at the Tolkien Conference! We’ll expect a report when you return and have a rest. :)

*looks at Mech’s sig pic. Sigh. *

RubyS.! :hug: Haven’t seen you in ages! What have you been up to lately?

Wendy, your trip photos are stunning! Is this the trip during which you had planned to visit a bistro (or some sort of eatery) known to be favored by Elijah when he was filming in Europe? Did you get a chance to do that? You may have explained that in your LJ. I’ve bookmarked your LJ link, as well as Mech’s, Maewyn’s and Lembas Junkie’s (LJ’s LJ…confusing…:D ), so I plan to take a peek at all of them tomorrow afternoon. (The armoire can wait one more day. :P ) I copied all your detailed “how-to” directions, Mech, so I should have better luck “LJaying” than I’ve had in the past.

By the way, Wendy, in addition to meaning ‘small’, my handy Webster says “quaint” can mean “marked by beauty or elegance”, an apt description for many of the buildings you fortunate Brits walk by every day. None of our structures are comparable, yours having multiple centuries of history embedded into stone and beam. To those who visit England and the rest of Europe, it is a moving and romantic notion to imagine the endless generations who have walked the same streets, plunked their elbows down on the bar to have a pint or peered through the leaded glass of a shop window. The oldest buildings in my area would be small cabins, roped off in a historical park and all standing for around 150 years or fewer! If I were strolling through the middle of the seaside village (photos you posted last year), I would be tempted to call it quaint. And I would mean it in the nicest way! :whistle: =:) :D

*Takes another peek at Mech’s sig. Sigh. *

Eresh, back there, for some reason your song, Dedicated Love Slave conjured up images of Mech, vamping around in her Orc LoveSlave outfit. That song would have made a great addition to the MOME trailer (which I never could download :x ). Hmmm. Think it’d pass the TOS for this year’s MOME? Just askin! :D

….March of the Penguins. That is a wonderful documentary, and

you'll never fail to see penguins as anything less than heroic again.

Amen, Eresh! I must have gone the same weekend as you. My sis and I went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory on a Friday and I was pleasantly surprised to see the poster for Penguins. I hadn’t expected it to make it out of the usual “select theaters”. So, naturally, I had to go back on Sunday to see it. Of course, this can be enjoyed at home, on DVD, but the beauty of the film is enhanced by the big screen. Utterly moving and romantic to boot! I urge anyone who can to see it. Stay for the first part of the credits to get a peek of the photographers at work. Wonderful!
(By the way, I hope whatever RL troubles are keeping you awake have been resolved. :hug: )

Generally, the most intelligent accomplishment my family could manage on vacations was remembering to turn off the coffee maker before we left. :roll:

Autumnelf, Fie and a pox upon Josh Hartnett! :angry: Grrrrrr! Anybody have a voodoo doll handy?

Maewyn, you mentioned how cold it was a couple of weeks ago. It was 101 degrees here today. Wanna trade? :D It’s funny, I thought since I had some time off for the summer, I would have more time to post. But it seems there is so much more to do, what with things growing and lawns needing mowing, etc. I guess I really do find myself in front of the computer more often during winter, when the wind is howling outside and it gets dark so early. Stay warm! :)

*takes one last peek at Mech’s sig. Sigh *

Bree, I’m not so crazy about hotel bedspreads…not after I saw a Dateline special about what can be seen under black-light. I will refrain from further detail. (shudder). I don’t mind the bed itself, assured they have changed the linens :shock:. I do bring my own pillow, though. January is a long way off, but I hope your experience is a memorable one! Oh, by the way, don't wait for a new thread to start before joining in. I don't think there is any real continuity to the discussions here and it's nice if you just pop in to say hello! And to look at Maewyn's and Mech's sig pics, of course! :wink:

Whew, I’ve rambled on. Sorry, ladies! :lol:

Next week, it’s teacher in-services during the day, the last of the painting during the evenings (so many surfaces…so little time...), then the following week, our students start up. Thus, I will very likely disappear for a bit, but will return, once the school year has roared off to a start. we have many evening meetings the first few weeks of the term.

Hugs to all, especially those who’ve not been here in a while (Chickenlegs, are your ears burning? How about you, Scarlet? Hadara? nienor? Wilma ‘n Honeyelf?) Just to name a few.
:)

And, if there are any lurkers out there who have some little bit of admiration or news to share about dear Frodo, now is the time to show yourselves!

Hope to "see" some of you tomorrow in your LJ's.

Edited to add:

I've heard March of the Penguins is doing unexpectedly well, with great reviews. I'm wondering if it will create a "carry-over" effect to Elijah's animated film. I realize not much is needed to create a fondness for penguins in general, but perhaps it will inspire some kid to beg just a little more persistantly to go see the film.

(Had to make a Frolijah connection somehow in this long post. Or does gazing at Mech's sig. count for enough? :lol: )
Texas-hobbit
Ranger of the North

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:27 am

Tex
How lovely to see you again, here in Frodo-appreciation Land !!

Anything that couldn’t sprout legs and run away from me, I hit with some sort of power tool or refinishing chemical. If my cats had not been so swift of paw, I fear both would now be sporting slipcovers, with tailored skirting and contrast piping.

:shock: :happydance:

As for the word "quaint"...if I was to be honest, "quaint" isn't the worst word in the world to use about our old and quirky buildings....Webster's is, of course, an American dictionary, so I was curious to see what our UK dictionaries say :-

Oxford English Dictionary :-

"quaint
adjective: attractively unusual or old-fashioned."

and Chamber's Dictionary defines it as meaning :-

"quaint
adjective: amusingly odd ; whimsical;

and the online dictionary defines it as :-

"quaint
adjective: charmingly odd, especially in an old-fashioned way
etc,etc...

I think that this is how we, here, in the UK define the word "quaint", so you see, we have a fundamental difference in meaning here ...
Whereas you call something "quaint" and mean it in a very good way, meaning beautiful, elegant, and totally charming ( which they often are !! )we hear the word "quaint" and think of it as a patronising term...
As in :-
"Oh look at that funny old building...isn't it ever so quaint" meaning
"Oh look at that funny old building...isn't it odd, quirky, strange...etc "

You see the difference ?

I think that many UK people are surprised at our country being defined as being
full of charmingly odd curiosities that probably belong in a museum, but don't - because actually, they are properly functioning buildings that we take for granted as everyday surroundings !!!

So because I now understand what you US tourists actually mean by the word "quaint", it isn't early so bad ...
( quite a compliment actually...)

:wink: :wink: :wink:

To those who visit England and the rest of Europe, it is a moving and romantic notion to imagine the endless generations who have walked the same streets, plunked their elbows down on the bar to have a pint or peered through the leaded glass of a shop window

Yep....you and us, all the time...this has to be the best part about having SO much history here...even we love that about our country !!

My sister has just bought a very old, and very tiny, Weaver's cottage in Frome, in Somerset, and she has just received the deeds from the solicitor...a huge sheaf of old parchments and papers, tied together with red ribbons, and dating back to 1700 and something...which is just fascinating to read through - but the actual cottage is dating from the seventeenth century (16--) and it is so old that the floors are sloping, the walls are uneven and the wood-burning stove is still in the front room...
She loves it, but there is shedloads of hard labour to do before it is habitable by our modern standards...so these old buildings aren't always the charming prospect they seem...

By the way, my LJ has a blow by blow account of my trip to Czech Republic, but we didn't, alas get to go to that bistro, because I forgot to look it up before we went... :doh:
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:19 am

What a thrill to open the thread and see TWO BIG, FAT POSTS!!!!!!!!! :clap:

Tex, your post was, as usual, packed with interesting bits and loads of humour (loooove your sig pic, by the way; is it a "theme of the month" thing?). I would have copied and pasted the same line as Wendy did, though, about the cats. :lol: But, Tex, it sounds as though you have been having fun, in spite of the fumes, working on your place. 8)

Funny you two should be discussing the merits (or demerits, which seem only to be the lack of the updating we moderns now are thoroughly accustomed to -- "Where are the internet outlets...?") of old architecture; I was just cruising the LJ's and saw Bree's relativey new one (LJ, that is), in which she was gushing over the "swooping entablatures" of San Carlo in Rome. It made me do some quick browsing. Anyway, the result was to agree that older architecture did seem to have it all over modern, for various reasons.

Oh, a week or so ago I got some new baby pics in an email newsletter from Naz. She had said in it that more were coming, but I guess they aren't. This afternoon I will load some into my album and post them.

Well, off to church. (I hope I will not spend the ENTIRE time thinking of Frodo and my fiction, but I bet I will. :roll: :P )

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:04 am

Hello Everyone.

Hi Tex! It sounds like you've been working harder on your holidays than when you're at work! Wow! I'm sure you'll feel a real sense of accomplishment once it's all finished. (Want to come around to my house...?) :roll:

If my cats had not been so swift of paw, I fear both would now be sporting slipcovers, with tailored skirting and contrast piping.

I actually have this mental picture of a cat in a floral skirt looking something like one of those scottie dogs with the long hair that reaches to the floor ... :woah: :rofl: I should go to bed!

Maewyn, you mentioned how cold it was a couple of weeks ago. It was 101 degrees here today. Wanna trade?

Half-and-half would be OK! Actually, today we had a lovely warm sunny day and my husband and I took my elderly mother on a picnic. Would anyone in the Northern Hemisphere be able to do that on the equivalent (weather-wise) to New Years Eve?

Hope to "see" some of you tomorrow in your LJ's.

I'd love to see you there!

Yep....you and us, all the time...this has to be the best part about having SO much history here...even we love that about our country !!

Wendy - I'd just LOVE to go to Britain and look at the old architecture, and those ancient castles. The best I can do when it comes to old houses is that I lived the first 22 years of my life in a house built in 1835. For Western Australia, that's OLD! (The area was colonised in 1829.)

Now to get back on topic... FRODO...ELIJAH...FRODO...ELIJAH... :)

Edit: Hi Mechtild! I'd love to see more photos of Naz's baby! I bet he's beautiful!
Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby WendyLadyofLothlorien » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:15 am

Meawyn
I'd just LOVE to go to Britain and look at the old architecture, and those ancient castles.

What, you mean like this :-

Wendylady's Journal

This is Nunney Castle that I visited this weekend with my Mum and my Sister...you want old, here's old, and I have to say, Tex...VERY quaint ....1373, or thereabouts...

Enjoy !!
WendyLadyofLothlorien
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:43 pm

OK, first OT ...

Maewyn wrote:

Hi Mechtild! I'd love to see more photos of Naz's baby! I bet he's beautiful!

Well, here he is. I assume they were taken in July. Here's Zachary Luke (with Naz's daughter Leah):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/ ... yLuke1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/ ... yLuke2.jpg

Maewyn, the photo in your sig pic is one of my favourites of "suffering Frodo". I always think of the story of St. Stephen when I see it. It's just beautiful. *swoon*

Second OT:

For you Frodo-starring-in-Threshold fans, not all my beta notes are in, including the set from my reader who is usually the most extensive (and picky) in her comments. I have found that the story always benefits immensely from incorporating the ideas and notes of the betas. So, I regret that I still can't post the long-toiled-over and awaited Ch. 12.

In the meantime I have begun a revision of the entire story from the beginning. Not only do I think it could use the tweaking and tidying but I have felt the need for a refresher generally. Also, I am taking the opportunity to make a summary of each chapter which includes little details of names and ages and other things I've invented that I want to keep track of for later.

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Postby Maewyn » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:05 pm

Hello Everyone.

Oh Wendy, that castle is beautiful! I do envy you being able to visit places such as these!

Mechtild - Naz's baby is absolutely gorgeous (as is his big sister)! I just love babies!

Re my Frodo sig pic - I'd put off changing it because lately many people have been having trouble getting theirs approved. They waited days before approval was given. Last night, I went ahead and changed it, and within half an hour I got my approval email! :shock:

Yes, it is beautiful. There's so much suffering in that face, it almost hurts to look at it. :(

Re Threshold - you just can't leave it alone can you! :) I understand completely. As the story progresses, you need to be able to stand back and look at it as a whole up to the point that you've reached. Some earlier details may not fit what it's now become. I'm sure it would also help in planning future chapters, being able to make reference back to an earlier scene.

Maewyn
Rider of the Mark

Postby mechtild » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:06 am

Maewyn, it really IS taking a long time to get sig pics approved, isn't it? But I have had your experience, too, when the pic I just submitted is accepted within minutes.

And, yes, Naz's baby is a cutie. Just think, I'll bet he already looks very different; I'll bet those pics are now a month old -- a long time in the life of an infant, no?

Now, "back on topic" ... heard anything new about our topic, Mr. Wood? I am waaaay behind at The Faculty, my usual source of EW news. Although, in an LJ discussion I found out there is a very popular NC-17 story in which real actors star in a fanfic with its own made-up scenario. EW has the lead I assume, since it's named after his character (fittingly named, "Jah" -- seriously! :P ). He "plays" the captive concubine of an equally fictitious pharoah (the author cast actor Billy Zane in the role, whom I embarrassedly had to look up on the IMDb, never having heard of him; I am so out of it!). I think Chickenlegs mentioned reading something like this, didn't she? -- back when she posted in here at the time of the ORC event in Los Angeles?

I was thinking, I hope the fic writer got EW in shape for the role (-- plenty of nudity and scanty "dancing boy" costumes required, I am betting) :wink: . Elijah has a perfectly lovely physique to play the 'best hobbit in the Shire', but if she's going to have him playing opposite her super-buff Pharoah guy, Billy Zane (I Googled him up in Images; he's the "lean, hard" type), she might have to send EW to an imaginary weights room to get him ready for his role. One day I might even read this fic; it stars not only EW, but all the other LotR actors, too, including, gasp -- a woman!!! (Liv Tyler). She must play the maid, a lone, unrequited female made to change the sheets in the royal boudoir. :D

Off topic: You are very astute, Maewyn, on why I would keep fiddling with a revision of the earlier chapters of Threshold. And, yes, the story is now long enough and being written over a long enough time that something to help remind me of all the little plot details would be a very helpful tool.

Speaking of "a long time," it may be drawing to a close -- soon! My last and most consistently critical beta reported in last night with some very good notes, but her overall remark was, "A lovely little chapter, with strong atmosphere and images that linger in the mind." That pleased me greatly! (I won't tell you the little note I got from another one; too racy.) I responded to her suggestions and she is checking them, hoping to get back to me tonight. Woo hoo! :)

Edited to add:

Now for an even BIGGER Woo Hoo...!!! :clap:

Ariel (fanfiction writer and proprietress of the archive where Threshold is posted in its easiest-to-read format) has just purchased us tickets to the Indianapolis Museum's exhibition of LotR!!! We have got ones for a 9am entry on Saturday, Oct. 22. It looks as though a number of other K-D people will be coming that day, too. I have never met any of them.

I don't suppose any TORc people are planning to go to see the Indianapolis showing? It's from Oct. - Jan. It would be so cool to get to meet some TORcers, too!

I am so excited!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

~ Mechtild
mechtild
Ranger of the North

Next

Return to Fandom Archives