Swooning Delios-ously for David Wenham/Faramir

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Postby meaningofhaste » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:32 am

I borrowed a DVD of "Sin City" from my public library this weekend, and fast-forwarded throught it to get an idea of what this hyper-real film-making is all about. It is in black and white, with just occasional touches of color (mostly red--red dresses, red lipstick, red automobiles, red blood), so "300" will look much different. The general appearance is very hard, very sharp-edged, and I didn't notice that the backgrounds were obviously more cartoonish or different from the live actors. Sometimes I got the feeling that when somebody socks somebody else on the jaw, or fires a gun, that there should be a cartoon balloon reading "Bifff!" or "Blam!!" There was very little dialog in the sense of actors speaking directly to each other, but lots of voice-overs and narration.

Clive Owen looked very good, and Elijah Wood was in there somewhere, but I missed him as I hurried past one scene of mayhem after another.

[/b]M_I_S[b], congratulations on the "Bad Art of Gondor over" at DC. I haven''t checked to see if TORC is still running the caption contrast, but the Hildebrand brothers "Death of Boromir" was featured in it and was hysterical. How technically-accomplished artists could take a classic "descent from the cross" model and turn it into a wet-your-pants, snort-on-your-monitor laugher is a wonderful, happy mystery.

Swoooning for the black-leather bottomed one!
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby Phantasmagoria » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:49 pm

Yeah um, everyone I know loved Sin City, but I personally hated it. I can tolerate sex and violence.... to a point.

But with 300 I can make compromises, you know? I mean, it's got David.

sigh. editted. tough crowd.
Phantasmagoria
Shield Bearer

Postby meaningofhaste » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:06 am

The company that's releasing "The Proposition" in the US has put out some stills and a press kit http://www.flp.com/films/proposition/pub_stills/ .
Warning: Stills depict violence. Only one shot of DW.

Amusingly, the press kit desctibes Charlie Burns ads being "mortally wounded," and in the next line has him recovering.
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby Cressida » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi, everyone! Sorry I haven't been around much lately. I started a new job last week and I'm still adjusting to all the changes. They're mostly good ones, though!

I hope "300" is a huge hit and David gets the recognition he deserves.

Sadly, I've been finding it hard to swoon for Faramir lately. I'm still struggling with "the Aragorn question"--what it means that Faramir isn't The King, and whether it means Aragorn is truly better in any way that matters. It's not that I've stopped liking Faramir, but I feel out of touch with him and I can't seem to write him until I work through this. :cry2: I hope it won't be permanent. I miss him.

So I'll SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOON for TRHO instead, since I can do that without conflict at the moment.

(PS, about the fruitcake dream--I was telling him that he didn't have to eat any if he didn't want it, but my mom's fruitcake is very good. She candies her own fruit at home and everything.)
Cressida
Ranger of the North

Postby IthilienRangerette » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:36 pm

Hello ladies!

PFaz asked me to stop by and let you all know that her computer went "kablewie!" and that is why she has not been around in the past couple of days, but she hopes to be back soon.

In the meantime she also does not have access to email, so if you sent her anything in the past couple of days she will get back to you as soon as she has access again.

I'm looking forward to seeing David in 300! Loved the book and love the men in short shorts!!! LOL!
IthilienRangerette
Rider of the Mark

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:42 pm

IthilienRangerette wrote:Hello ladies!

PFaz asked me to stop by and let you all know that her computer went "kablewie!" and that is why she has not been around in the past couple of days, but she hopes to be back soon.

In the meantime she also does not have access to email, so if you sent her anything in the past couple of days she will get back to you as soon as she has access again.

I'm looking forward to seeing David in 300! Loved the book and love the men in short shorts!!! LOL!

Cathy, how spooky - I just this second sent you an email!

Hope PFaz's computer is soon fixed. She is probably climbing the walls in frustration.

Cress - it's horrible when you find you aren't so in tune with something or someone that you've adored for so long. But Faramir will be patient. :) Come and discuss it on CJ - it might get you back into the swing. There is an Aragorn discussion going on right now about whether he (Aragorn) was really entitled to be King.

Hey - I just looked at CJ - and it's your birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRESSIDA!
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmatron » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:32 pm

I talked to pFaz today as well, and was about to alert you to her absense when I read where IR did the duty. If her husband remembered to bring his lap top home, she might be on tonight.

Happy Birthday, Cressida!
shieldmatron
Ranger of the North

Postby Athelas63 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:21 am

Oh, good - I was stopping by to give the heads up about Pfaz computer woes, but POI has done so!

She'll be back soon, I'm sure!

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOON for Fazzy, and for the pretty Beanie interview in the UK. Sweaters and fingers and smiles and tongues... Growl!!!
Athelas63
Shield Bearer

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:36 am

Athelas63 wrote:Oh, good - I was stopping by to give the heads up about Pfaz computer woes, but POI has done so!

Not me - t'was Cathy, followed by SM. :)
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby shieldmatron » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:32 am

We provide news better than CNN!

Oh, good morning, ladies! Good morning, David! Good morning, my sweet sig picture! :love:
shieldmatron
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:52 am

I see that Ugluk is not insisting on a woman-only vote in MOME this month.
Nevertheless I'm not voting for Faramir this month--instead I plan to vote only for women who had a connection to Faramir. That's Finduilas, Eowyn, and Ioreth. Can anyone think of any more?

Sw :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: ning but not voting for the ever-deserving Faramir!
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:23 am

Dilios news! This http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.ph ... 0&id=34442 was just posted on another site, but I hope it's new to some of us.

It really sounds as though Dilios will be getting a lot of exposure (and I don't mean that as a pun). I wonder if he will be somewhat like Carl in "Van Helsing."

Hyperventilating. . . .
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby Lhaewin » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:02 pm

I hope Dilios won´t end up as a the story teller´s background voice. I am still a bit pessimistic, but of course, there is a lot of hope. :)

Wimsie asked me to say hello to all of you. She has no time to visit our thread, but she misses us a lot.
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby SueB » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:29 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CRESSIDA!!!! :happydance:

Hope it was Faz-tastic!!

Faramir's on the way with the cake, the champagne, and his Very Special Birthday Dance!! (Let's see Aragorn do THAT one!!! Ha!!!)

Sue :)
SueB
Ranger of the North

Postby Phantasmagoria » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:29 pm

Oh don't worry, Dilios shall be in the foreground.

With the firelight on his noble face and the dark wood behind his red hair. Mhm.
Phantasmagoria
Shield Bearer

Postby LadyStefania » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:07 pm

Hi Fazguls -

i really am here, though mostly lurking and working. I'm also almost finished slogging through the next chapter of "Avoidance," which Raksha has promised to review. I am so sloooow with fic writing. Fortunately the tech manuals come faster. Otherwise I'd be out of a job!!

Happy Bday to Cressida! Good to see you here.

That story on Dilios from Sci Fi wire really made my otherwise dull day. Dave has got himself quite the part. I can't wait, especially to see him all pumped up in leather hipster short shorts. Where's the drool bucket :D :D. Wondercon is next weekend. I'll be on the lookout for any hype on "300," though it's probably too early for the film PR to begin.

- L.Steff
LadyStefania
Ranger of the North

Postby sh_wulff » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:27 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CRESSIDA

and don't worry about that dissociative feeling...Tolkien was very politically conservative...and believed in the divine rights of Kings...Thus Aragorn is moer fit for Kingship because of authrial prefernence

is he inherently a better man tahn Faramir? no.. in fact one could argue that Faramir is teh better ruler for Gondor.. knows the local peiple and customs...and luckily Aragorn was pragmatic enough to recognize this and made Faramir the hands on ruler vs the figurehead he humself is

this is of course IMVHO.. and I wonder how long it is until Raksha comes in with an opposing view ;)

hope PFAZ gets her computer gets revived

oh sw00n for he who can whisper sotto voce or has a stentorian voice...as the situation requires
sh_wulff
Ranger of the North

Postby Phantasmagoria » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:54 pm

Phantasmagoria
Shield Bearer

Postby Cressida » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:15 pm

Just popping in quickly before bedtime to say thanks for all the good birthday wishes, everyone! The birthday dance was ... illuminating. :shock:

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON for our favorite ginger-haired guy!
Cressida
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:03 am

I've heard from Angela, my Australian correspondent, that DW is going to be awarded an honorary doctorate by the University she works at. More details as they become available.

Sw :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ning for Dr. Wenham!
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby Cressida » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:42 am

lhaewin wrote:I hope Dilios won´t end up as a the story teller´s background voice. I am still a bit pessimistic, but of course, there is a lot of hope. :)

Actually, I think that would be great, as long as that's not all he does. (I'm thinking something like Sean Bean in Troy here, where he gets to narrate and participate.)

P.S. POI, I dropped by CJ today, but I couldn't seem to find the Aragorn discussion. Which forum is it in?
Cressida
Ranger of the North

Postby Lhaewin » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:56 pm

Cressida wrote:Actually, I think that would be great, as long as that's not all he does. (I'm thinking something like Sean Bean in Troy here, where he gets to narrate and participate.)

P.S. POI, I dropped by CJ today, but I couldn't seem to find the Aragorn discussion. Which forum is it in?

Check your PM´s on CJ. :)

I could have done with more Odysseus in Troy. :wink:
Lhaewin
Ranger of the North

Postby Phantasmagoria » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:00 pm

meaningofhaste wrote:I've heard from Angela, my Australian correspondent, that DW is going to be awarded an honorary doctorate by the University she works at. More details as they become available.

Sw :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ning for Dr. Wenham!

...What? How? Why? lol!!
Phantasmagoria
Shield Bearer

Postby lucidity » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:10 pm

Hello!

I'm a total newbie, but love DW! (Some of you may know me from CJ, where my name is the same.) :)

I have not seen many of his meatier roles, but loved him in the LotR movies and Van Helsing. Do you know if there are many of his movies available to someone who lives in the States?
lucidity
Shield Bearer

Postby SueB » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:28 am

Welcome to the thread, lucidity!! Great to see you here!! :D

I rented 'Dust' from one of the local drugstores-pretty amazed to see it there, actually-so you might be able to find that one. Be warned, though, that it's VERY dark and violent. But David's great in it!!

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON for Dr. David/ Faramir!!! :heart:

Sue :)
SueB
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:03 am

Welcome, Lucidity! If you check Amazon.com or EBay.com. you can find a number of DW's films available, often for quite reasonable prices. Don't waste your money on "Moulin Rouge" unless you're satisfied with three minutes of DW in drag. And the version of "After the Deluge" available in the US has been drastically cut and a lot of DW's screen time omitted.

David will be awarded an honorary doctorate by the Australian Cathoilic University April 11 at the Sydney Town Hall, in recognition of his contributions to the the dramatic and performing arts. I've begged Angela to attend and submit a detailed report. We shall see. . . .
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby lucidity » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:46 am

I had forgotten about 'Moulin Rouge'. I saw it some time ago and was not impressed with the movie itself. I don't think I'd rent it again to see DW in drag.

I will keep an eye out for 'Dust' though. :o
lucidity
Shield Bearer

Postby shieldmatron » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:34 pm

The Bank and Better Than Sex...'nuff said.

If you rent movies from Netflix, you can find them, plus the ones I listed in the Karl thread.
shieldmatron
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyStefania » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:42 pm

Hi Lucidity. Welcome to TORC.

I've found a number of Dave's Australian films here in Northern California video stores. In addition to Dust, you can find the Bank and Better Than Sex in your local Blockbusters. I highly recommend those two, particularly BTS. In specialty video stores, I've seen The Boys, Cosi, and Pure, though I haven't rented them yet. I was able to find and rent Molokai, which I really loved.

On a different note, I just found out that Wondercon in San Francisco next week has just added Frank Miller (who wrote "300") to their guest list. He is speaking on Sunday at 12:30. I was planning on attending Wondercon anyway, so this is just fab news. I'll go to his talk and report back. I suspect that he will do some early promotion for '300', although the Wondercon PR for his talk says the movie won't be out until 2007. Drat!!

Finally, shameless self promotion, I've got a new chapter of my story "Avoidance" up on Stories of Arda, for those of you who follow along. In this one, Faramir realizes that the king he hopes will save Gondor is also his competition in more ways than one. Be aware that "Avoidance" tries to fill in movie verse gaps with book canon. The link to the story is in my sig below.

Keep swoonin'.

- L.Steff
LadyStefania
Ranger of the North

Postby lucidity » Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:15 pm

I live in Podunksville and don't subscribe to Netflix. I will see what our local Blockbuster has, since I was going to go and rent 'Doom' tomorrow anyway. :)
lucidity
Shield Bearer

PreviousNext

Return to Fandom Archives