Swoon: Three Centuries of Davidism

Oversized Fandom Threads are stored here. This forum is Read-Only

Postby LadyStefania » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:38 pm

HI Fazguls -

Whew. All I can say is, "whew." I don't want to watch the videos because I don't want to be 100 percent spoiled. But oh those pictures that everyone pasted were just what I needed to improve my mood on this dreary day.

I agree that Dave as Dillios looks a bit like he did as Father Damien, but with lighter hair. It looks like his own hair, too, rather than a wig, but you never know. Actors usually have to wear wigs so their hair has continuity from scene to scene. And the body, why he's perfect! Great muscles but not ridiculous like California's Governator in his earlier days. Gerry Butler's body for 300 does look like he's been downing Spartan supplements.

However weird '300' might turn out to be, just based on my experience with 'Sin City,' it should be an oogle fest for the females. BTW, I love the picture of Dave where he's got his "Faramir's charge" face on, but without the dern helmet. He goes from looking rather sweet to looking like you had best get out of his way.

- L.Steff
LadyStefania
Ranger of the North

Postby de_lurker » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:17 pm

:rofl: he lost a nipple.... :rofl:

been here, been there. been lurkin' :)

sadly, i lost the yellow female. was very sad. then i had the bright idea to purchase four more from a tank with some sick ones in it. lost the two males, don't know where they're coming from but they're a mess, worms, protozoa, one poor male had an atrophied stomach too boot. little fella never had a chance really. the two females that remain are doing wonderful, sort of, large female still has internal protozoa that i can't seem to rid her of despite the best efforts and meds my vet can supply. small female is a riot and i'm hand feeding her with a pair of tweezers. she sees me coming with the bowl of food and she parks it and looks up at me. but enough of my seahorses, i want more naked, shaved down, oily, nippleless dilios.
de_lurker
Rider of the Mark

Postby Phantasmagoria » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:09 am

at some point in your prose I lost where yellow seahorses ended and shaved Dilios began.
Phantasmagoria
Shield Bearer

Postby meaningofhaste » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:44 am

So sad about your seahorses, d_lurker. I never attempted anything more ambitious than goldfish, but those died too :(

Naked? Oiled? I'm waiting for the rear views. . . . :twisted:
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_Niwella » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:18 am

I hear you moh, I hear you... :twisted: :D

*Drool*

Sw0000000000000n for shots of rear and nipples alike...
Lady_Niwella
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyStefania » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:35 pm

Seahorses? Holey moley. I'm having enough problems with my ancient cat. Cats will sleep with you, if no one better is around. I wouldn't want to try that with a sea horse. :wink:

Back to '300.' On another board here at TORC, a poster suggested disappointment that the entire background be CG. Me too. Me too. I wish the whole thing had been filmed in Greece and Turkey, where it really happened.

I wonder if they intended to use Frank Miller's dramatic design for the scenic background? Miller isn't directly involved with this production, unlike "Sin City." I really would not like to see '300' wind up looking like Epic Noir. However, I think a lot of people here in the US, and a lot of US film critics, would much prefer to see a '300' if its couched in the trappings of film noir (so very kewl) than the trappings of an epic (so very unkewl).

At least this should be a very great showcase for Daisy because the film will get a lot of attention due to its technical ambitions. Watch it be marketed to the 18-35, male geek, graphic novel audience but wind up being mostly a favorite of females oogling Butler, Wenham, and perhaps some yet undiscovered young hottie--in other words, the LOTR films' unexpected audience.

- L.Steff
LadyStefania
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:47 pm

Words of wisdom, LStef, words of wisdom. . .

Talking about sleeping with cats, do you mean if there's nothing better for the cats or for you? :twisted:
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby princessFaz » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:49 pm

I see what you're saying Lady STef and I'm torn. I agree I would prefer a real background of greece, etc. But the CG background might prove to be very different and interesting too. If they are following the graphic novel frame by frame, they can do it easier with the CG stuff. But i do think that sometimes the acting is lacking when all CG is used.

DeL , sorry about your little seahorses. My pony is ailing again its so sad. :(
princessFaz
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyStefania » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:41 pm

I speculated on this matter elsewhere: interesting how Dave's "most seen" performance is includes being the survivor of a suicide mission. And now he's cast again as the sole survivor of a suicide mission. Could this be type casting? Should he appear on the all-celebrity version of "Survivor?"

- L.Steff
LadyStefania
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:20 am

LadyStefania wrote:I speculated on this matter elsewhere: interesting how Dave's "most seen" performance is includes being the survivor of a suicide mission. And now he's cast again as the sole survivor of a suicide mission. Could this be type casting? Should he appear on the all-celebrity version of "Survivor?"

- L.Steff

I think the difference is that Dilios isn't allowed to go into the final battle and so survives by default? But I don't know the story that well so I'm only surmising from what I've gleaned.
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby princessFaz » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:21 am

No, you're right, PoI. Dilios is told by Leonides that he has to stay out of the battle so that he can carry on the story.

"Survivor" LOL
princessFaz
Ranger of the North

Postby make_it_stop » Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:51 am

That is a fascinating insight, though. David seems to be attracted to "survival" roles, where the character is barely clinging on by his fingertips in the midst of utter darkness, chaos, and pain (Alex in After The Deluge, Eddie Harnovey in Three Dollars, Richard Shorkinghorn, Father Damien, Murray, Cyrano, Van Gogh, Johnny Spit). There's a hopeless streak to many of these characters' situations that echoes the "last stand" mentality of Faramir and Dilios' military campaigns.

Acting-wise, David is at his very best when the plot subjects him to extraordinary external pressures. His accidental-warrior characters survive these ordeals not by possessing brute strength or power, but by being able to adapt and perservere and grow in understanding. Occasionally his defense mechanism is a sword, but more often it's altruism or wry humor. It's only rarely that David takes on a "power character" like Eden Fletcher, who sets in motion the events that force others to scramble for survival.

I would love to see him on Celebrity Survivor. :lol: Who but the most black-hearted curmudgeon would vote Daisy off their island?

The tribe has spoken: SW :) 8) :wink: :twisted: :P N!
make_it_stop
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:41 am

You know, I have never watched even one reality show!! (Didn't watch Seinfeld or Frasier or any of the other classics either). But I get the impression that it's the nicest characters who are dumped first, and it's the devious manipulators who survive.

Wasn't there a thread a few swoons back about DW being part of Roommates--anyway, he was doing the cooking and housekeeping clad in a tea towel :twisted:

Sw :love: :love: :love: ning for the sensitive, eduring one!
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:43 pm

Here's a little bit of information about "Answered by Fire." It appears in the Coutier-Mail April 10, under the byline of Dianne Butler.

********************************The Rogers are bowing out? Noooo

A FIRST look for you, lucky readers, at Answered By Fire, starring David Wenham. This is the series that was shot here in Queensland -- Cabbage Tree Point, just down the road -- and is all about the East Timor independence vote late last century. (That would be 1999.)

Wenham, so fabulous in The Proposition last year, plays Mark Waldman, an Australian police officer who's a volunteer with the UN. You can expect to see it sometime next month on the ABC.

Sadly, this is the last project from the legendary Australian production team Roger Le Mesurier and Roger Simpson, who over an amazing career have given us many hours of quality viewing: Power Without Glory, The Nostradamus Kid, Dogwoman, Nancy Wake, Snowy, the halifax fp series, Stingers, Good Guys Bad Guys . . . it's a long list, and they'll leave a big hole. It seems the pair have had enough, opting out of a dwindling industry that's increasingly no fun.
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby LadyStefania » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:05 pm

Of course, the chances of those of us not in Australia ever seeing "Answered By Fire" are most likely nil--unless some kind Aussie Fazgul happens to copy it from the TV and make it available to international audiences. I would really like to see this show. It sounds like my kinda thing.

As far as celebrity survivor is concerned, Dave is definitely a good candidate. And I nominate Tom Hanks, as well, given his stardom in the recent desert island film--sorry, I don't remember the name. I'd also have to nominate any one of the current "Losties". My favorites are Naveen Andrews, Dom Monaghan in his hoodie, and Daniel Dae Kim for the guys and Yun-Jin Kim for the goils. Who else do we want to play survivor with Dave? We definitely need more women.

-L.Steff
LadyStefania
Ranger of the North

Postby Phantasmagoria » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:18 pm

I bribe the Senate to give a hearty vote toward: Survivor, starring victim Leah and victim Dave and.. oh look, just two of them. On an island alone.

All say yea.
Phantasmagoria
Shield Bearer

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:34 am

Phantasmagoria wrote:I bribe the Senate to give a hearty vote toward: Survivor, starring victim Leah and victim Dave and.. oh look, just two of them. On an island alone.

All say yea.

:lol:

I was thinking along the same lines.
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:33 am

Phan, I think you need me on that island to do the cooking and cleaning, keep the cave tidy, and utter the occasional word of wisdom/obscure prediction/homely proverb.

Sw :shock: :shock: :shock: ning for desert island Dave. . . .
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby SueB » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:40 am

Sorry, I'm still busy looking for David's lost nipple...

:D
SueB
Ranger of the North

Postby PrincessOfIthilien » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:01 am

SueB wrote:Sorry, I'm still busy looking for David's lost nipple...

:D

This makes me think of a variation on Gingerfella.

Find the owner of this lost nipple............
PrincessOfIthilien
Ranger of the North

Postby Phantasmagoria » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:13 am

:lol:

I grew up without watching the Simpsons... so I rented out season 6. It had the episode 'Bart v. Australia' and I found it amusing. Very amusing.
Phantasmagoria
Shield Bearer

Postby SueB » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:22 am

Yeah, that was a funny episode, Phaz!! The earlier seasons were the best, my interest tapered off a long time ago and I haven't watched it in ages. I think it's starting to get tired...

Hope to hear lots more about 'Answered by Fire'-sounds interesting, even if we'll probably never see it here in the States! And I imagine the 300 publicity machine will be kicking into high gear before too much longer!

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON for David/ Faramir!! :heart:

Sue :)
SueB
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:20 am

Do you realize that in a few hours David will be recieiving his honorary degree from the Australian Catholic University (it's April 11 in Australia, isn't it?)?

I hope my contact Angela, who works for the ACU, comes through with a complete report!
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:21 am

Do you realize that in a few hours David will be recieiving his honorary degree from the Australian Catholic University (it's April 11 in Australia, isn't it?)?

I hope my contact Angela, who works for the ACU, comes through with a complete report!
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:23 am

meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:49 am

I know, I know,--you heard me the first time. But honestly, the board had a computer glitch and told me to try again :oops: :oops: :oops:
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby SueB » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:15 pm

The same thing happened to me, MoH!! When I posted I got an error message saying the mail was messed up or something. If I hadn't been in a hurry, I would've done the same thing! Maybe the cute fuzzy bunny in my sig put a curse on the server or something...

Thanks for the info-hope evertything went well for David!! Can't wait to hear about it!

Sue :)
SueB
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:13 am

No news this morning about the award ceremony, but I'll keep checking.
In the meantime, Gerardbutler.net has created a separate board just for dicussing "300" http://gerardbutler.net/haven/index.php?showforum=216/

Nothing about David, but it might be worth checking out occasionally.
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

Postby sh_wulff » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:22 am

hello "Guls

those pecs of 300 :Q :Q :Q :Q

and teh missing nipple :lol: :lol:

slowly downloading those vids..yet to see them

watch Buffimir on Brand new day daily..does wonders for the complexion and keeps the ovaries youthful ;)

Sea-horses D_L hope they keep you entertained for a while

PFaz's pony..I hope it gets better

Ginger is now safely ensconced chez moi..but having beein dumped malnourished and exposed he has cat flu.. well time will tell..he is gorgeous. Teh man is trekking in Nepal annd I'm searching for a new job

as for MOM..well I'm alternating between Eomer and Boromir

after looking at those rugges Dilios-cious pictures I need me a man

( ps try a man and three cats in your bed... very warm indeed :devil:
sh_wulff
Ranger of the North

Postby meaningofhaste » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:39 am

Good luck with the cats, the new job and the man, Sh_wulff! You see where my priorities are :lol: .

No news whatsoever about DW's honorary doctorate. Even the University's website (April 9) only mentions the award to the Wiggles.
Did someone spot the Dilios pics and decide DW was no longer worthy of the honor?

(Paranoia sets in) :(
meaningofhaste
Ranger of the North

PreviousNext

Return to Fandom Archives