Tolkien Classics Now Available in Leatherbound 5-Book Set - Xenite.org

Check out all the latest news on Tolkien literature posted here on The One Ring.

Tolkien Classics Now Available in Leatherbound 5-Book Set -

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 24, 2000 12:00 am

<A HREF="http://www.xenite.org/" TARGET="new">Xenite.org</A> reports that Easton Press has published <i>The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings,</i> and <i>The Silmarillion</i> in a special 5-volume set of leatherbound books.<P>

Follow the link below for additional information.<P><BR>

2 cents . . .

Postby Tolkien-zealot » Tue Oct 24, 2000 5:18 pm

<p>If it is anything like the Millenium edition (which I only HEARD was really, really bad), you can forget it.</p>
Tolkien-zealot
Petitioner to the Council

2 cents . . .

Postby Tolkien-zealot » Tue Oct 24, 2000 5:18 pm

<p>If it is anything like the Millenium edition (which I only HEARD was really, really bad), you can forget it.</p>
Tolkien-zealot

Wrong Price

Postby Ingram » Wed Oct 25, 2000 7:03 am

<p>The books are $48.95 a PIECE not for the whole set. They look pretty good and the books are a matched set. Easton's books are very good quality construction and asthetic wise. I believe they also come with illustrations throughout, but am unsure whether Tolkiens originals or other artist. I don't know which 'edition' of the text they are using either. (I have bought some books from Easton and get their catalogue - BTW, these have been out for at least a year...)</p>
Ingram
Shield Bearer

Wrong Price

Postby Ingram » Wed Oct 25, 2000 7:03 am

<p>The books are $48.95 a PIECE not for the whole set. They look pretty good and the books are a matched set. Easton's books are very good quality construction and asthetic wise. I believe they also come with illustrations throughout, but am unsure whether Tolkiens originals or other artist. I don't know which 'edition' of the text they are using either. (I have bought some books from Easton and get their catalogue - BTW, these have been out for at least a year...)</p>
Ingram
Shield Bearer

re: millenium edition

Postby spd » Wed Oct 25, 2000 10:12 pm

<p>To Tolkien-zealot: I have the six-volume Millenium edition and, in my humble opinion, it's not as bad as you say. Sure, the books have no illustrations and a somewhat simple production design, but a worthy addition to my Tolkien collection all the same. I would, however, caution prospective buyers to try to get the UK edition, as only it and not the US edition comes with the CD of Tolkien reciting from passeges in the book. </p>
spd
Mariner

re: millenium edition

Postby spd » Wed Oct 25, 2000 10:12 pm

<p>To Tolkien-zealot: I have the six-volume Millenium edition and, in my humble opinion, it's not as bad as you say. Sure, the books have no illustrations and a somewhat simple production design, but a worthy addition to my Tolkien collection all the same. I would, however, caution prospective buyers to try to get the UK edition, as only it and not the US edition comes with the CD of Tolkien reciting from passeges in the book. </p>
spd
Mariner

price

Postby MithLuin » Thu Oct 26, 2000 7:48 am

<p>The Millenium edition also had poor bindings, etc. I mean, it wasn't a well-made book, though I do like it because it is small and more durable than my paperbacks. The CD is really cool too. But, anyway, I was wondering how you could have 5 leatherbound books for $50...and for $50/each, they should be nice :)</p>
MithLuin
Mariner

price

Postby MithLuin » Thu Oct 26, 2000 7:48 am

<p>The Millenium edition also had poor bindings, etc. I mean, it wasn't a well-made book, though I do like it because it is small and more durable than my paperbacks. The CD is really cool too. But, anyway, I was wondering how you could have 5 leatherbound books for $50...and for $50/each, they should be nice :)</p>
MithLuin
Mariner

re: spd

Postby Tolkien-zealot » Sun Oct 29, 2000 3:19 pm

<p>Again, sorry if I sounded critical, spd. Remember, I only said that I had HEARD it was bad. I have no knowledge of the books outside of looking at them and others comments. The fact is that I have heard many bad things about this edition; enough bad things to turn me off to it. If this is your favorite edition or something and I offended you, accept my apologies. By the way, now that the price issue has been settled ($48 a pop), it seems to me that it would be a better quality. Maybe I will check it out after all. My favorite edition, though, is still a toss-up between my $70-some Alan Lee illustrated one and my $35-some red one in its own box (I hope you know what I'm describing). Later . . . </p>
Tolkien-zealot

re: spd

Postby Tolkien-zealot » Sun Oct 29, 2000 3:19 pm

<p>Again, sorry if I sounded critical, spd. Remember, I only said that I had HEARD it was bad. I have no knowledge of the books outside of looking at them and others comments. The fact is that I have heard many bad things about this edition; enough bad things to turn me off to it. If this is your favorite edition or something and I offended you, accept my apologies. By the way, now that the price issue has been settled ($48 a pop), it seems to me that it would be a better quality. Maybe I will check it out after all. My favorite edition, though, is still a toss-up between my $70-some Alan Lee illustrated one and my $35-some red one in its own box (I hope you know what I'm describing). Later . . . </p>
Tolkien-zealot

re: Tolkien-zealot

Postby spd » Sun Oct 29, 2000 6:29 pm

<p> No offense taken. My only purpose was to put a bit more food for thought on the plate. We all have our tastes and preferences, after all. <BR>
Incidentally, I also have the $70 Alan Lee illustrated edition (issued on the occasion of Tolkien's 100th birthday), though I'll always have a soft spot for the first edition I ever bought, the 80s-era paperbacks. I think the ink is beginning to fade from all the re-readings, if you know what I mean. </p>
spd
Mariner

re: Tolkien-zealot

Postby spd » Sun Oct 29, 2000 6:29 pm

<p> No offense taken. My only purpose was to put a bit more food for thought on the plate. We all have our tastes and preferences, after all. <BR>
Incidentally, I also have the $70 Alan Lee illustrated edition (issued on the occasion of Tolkien's 100th birthday), though I'll always have a soft spot for the first edition I ever bought, the 80s-era paperbacks. I think the ink is beginning to fade from all the re-readings, if you know what I mean. </p>
spd
Mariner

Return to Book News