Tolkien's Books - Needed Help? - I don't know..

Check out all the latest news on Tolkien literature posted here on The One Ring.

Tolkien's Books - Needed Help? - I don't know..

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:00 am

I recently read this: "Jackson's movies helped Tolkien's Lord of the Rings top a recent UK poll by the BBC of the nation's best-loved books." I'm not so sure about this, as the Lord of the Rings in particular is the second most read book after the Bible. Are the movies getting credit for many things they did not do?

Publicity

Postby Anthshan » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:50 am

<p>Peter Jackson's films have brought the books back into prominence, just as the Harry Potter films have done. However if I remember correctly the Lord of the Rings has been winning polls for a number of years. </p>
Anthshan
Petitioner to the Council

At last some sense.

Postby The_Red_Avenger » Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:55 am

<p>Yep, have been saying this for a while now.<BR><BR>I was disgusted with the "Oh it's only because of the movies" jibe that was very prevalent after it won "The Big Read"<BR><BR>What I would say, is that the films were responsible for more people, who wouldn't normally, read the book and therefore the book won on it's own merits.<BR><BR>What irked me though was one of our local dj's said "I bet that most of the people who voted hadn't read the books, just saw the films" and I felt very angry at this bias.<BR><BR>At least this article puts it into perspective and I've a mind to copy and paste it into an email to him.<BR>...<BR>RA </p>
The_Red_Avenger
Shield Bearer

Where did the movie come from?

Postby XXIluvatarXX » Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:35 pm

<p>THE BOOK!<BR><BR>So, obviously even if it is because of the movie, (which it isnt) it is overall because the books and tolkiens genius. </p>
XXIluvatarXX
Ranger of the North

Return to Book News