Has Lord of the Rings had its day? - bbc.co.uk

Check out all the latest news on Tolkien literature posted here on The One Ring.

Has Lord of the Rings had its day? - bbc.co.uk

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 20, 2004 12:00 am

"If the result of this week's Your Charts is anything to go by, you're starting to get fed up of Lord of the Rings. Just a few months ago it used to dominate almost half the chart, but now it's struggling to keep up with Potter mania..."

Yes, and will continue to do so!

Postby Gil-Estel » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:31 am

<p>LotR has been having its day with some of us for more than thirty years and we have no intention of stopping now. </p>
Gil-Estel
Rider of the Mark

Tolkien will live forever in our hearts

Postby Parador~J » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:46 am

<p>Along with what Gil-Estel stated...the books have stood the test of time as thousands upon thousands of Tolkien fans can testify to...the fans have always been there...as Jackson stated while filming, the fans were the '800 pound gorilla' that stood in the middle of the project...reminding him of who will be seeing these films. <BR><BR>I have to say, the LOTR movies too, are a feat in itself. Jackson, cast and crew did an outstanding job.<BR><BR>But, ents76's comment hit the heart of it...just because the commercial and hype are pretty much over with...the fans will be forever in the midst of things...all related to Tolkien, the movies, music, gaming, etc. We will not disappear...the Tolkien legacy will be carried on for generations to come...this we have seen already.<BR><BR>As much as I love JK Rowlings books and the movies...we are not in competition with Harry Potter!<BR><BR>We don't always need to be in the lime light to be appreciated or to keep the light of fame lit up...we quietly, like Tolkien, can sit back and savor the moments as we continue our journey through Middle earth... </p>
Mithril Knights Warriors Guild
~Mithril Knight of Lore
~Mithril Knight / Knight Marshall

~Bearer of the Sun Ring of ~Anar~ - The Spirit of Endurance ^~^'Fëavoronwie'^~^
A Writer's Quest
Where Writer's Learn
The Writer Magazine
Parador~J
Spirit of Endurance

No

Postby Liss_Eruvande » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:11 pm

<p>I've been a student of Tolkien's works for a long time. While the PJ films put a face to the books, the books will always be my favorites, especially The Sil. And besides, I'm finally getting the hang of reading/speaking Quenya, and have just begun studying Tengwar, which may take me more years to do, and I'm still fascinated with the history of Middle Earth and have not finish studying it. Tolkien's works just fills many of my interests...folklore, linguistics, philology, writing, poetry, art, mythology, fantasy, costuming, the healing arts, gardening and so much more, not to mention how it ties in with my Christian belief. </p>
Liss_Eruvande
Citizen of Imladris

*shrugs*

Postby Aramel » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:14 pm

<p>LOTR had fans before the movies, and LOTR will have fans after. </p>
Aramel
Ranger of the North

fans of Tolkien's works will always exist

Postby Kaelin » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:50 am

<p>Tolkiens 'Lord of The Rings' will never stop having its day as you can see by the huge number of articles, fanfiction and general comments posted on this website alone, one website of many thousands dedicated to Tolkien and his Middle Earth. </p>
Kaelin
Citizen of Imladris

Postby Este the healer » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:49 pm

Tolkien will never stop having it's day. Even my 12-year-old cousin has read the books. New generations of bookworms will always support the books.
Este the healer
Petitioner to the Council

Postby laureanna » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:02 pm

Never!

Harry Potter may have his day, but he's just a popular kid's story. Tolkien's works are the myths for our modern age, and will endure.

I just bought the BBC radio production today. :love:
laureanna
Ranger of the North

Postby Lady_Niwella » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:46 am

I loved LOTR years and years before I heard of any movie (never thought I would see a live action movie actually) and I will love LOTR years and years after lots of people will say "Peter who".

I loved the movies but in the end nothing compares to the book. I read a lot of fantasy literature but LOTR and Tolkien will always shadow the other authors for me and will always be my first and biggest love in the genre.
Lady_Niwella
Ranger of the North

Re: I agree...

Postby andurilwest » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:47 pm

LeggysGurl4Eva wrote:<p>I agree with all the points started, especially that of Elvendream. Now that the hype around P.J's movies is over, the media frenzy has died down to a dull murmur, and the so-called "Tolkien fans" have come and gone, we now know who really is a true Tolkien fan (or fanatic in my case) and who isn't. Those who saw the movie for the actors, and for the actors alone, aren't true Tolkien fans, no matter how much breath they waste trying to convince themselves and others that. It's the same with those who went to the movie for the graphics or epic battle scenes.</p>

:clap: :D
andurilwest
Ranger of the North

Postby wntrmute » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:20 pm

We're still here.
Contact me at wntrmute_torcmod@yahoo.com
or mods@theonering.com.

Gone savage for teenagers with automatic weapons and boundless love. Gone savage for teenagers who are aesthetically pleasing, in other words, fly. Los Angeles beckons the teenagers to come to her on buses; Los Angeles loves love.

It is 5 am
and you are listening
to Los Angeles.
wntrmute
Ranger of the North

Return to Book News