Need more Tolkien Books? Check out the Essential Tolkien Library

Check out all the latest news on Tolkien literature posted here on The One Ring.

Need more Tolkien Books? Check out the Essential Tolkien Lib

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:00 pm

<p>If you're looking to expand complete your collection of Tolkien's works, Amazon.com has put together what they call the <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Tolkien-Library-JRR/dp/0618983554" target="_blank">Essential Tolkien Library</a>. It contains the following 27 volumes (<a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_4755872_1/103-9471526-2214238?ie=UTF8&docId=1000078521&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=special-product-offers-1&pf_rd_r=1H4M0Y05VXKHCR8EC52V&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=286569301&pf_rd_i=0618983554" target="_blank">see the list at Amazon</a>):</p><ul><li>The Hobbit (Illustrated Edition)</li><li>The Hobbit (Collector's Edition)</li><li>The Fellowship of the Ring</li><li>The Two Towers</li><li>The Return of the King</li><li>The Lord of the Rings (50th Anniversary Edition)</li><li>The Silmarillion</li><li>Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth</li><li>Farmer Giles of Ham</li><li>Letters from Father Christmas</li><li>The History of Middle-earth, Volumes 1-12</li><li>The Maps of TOlkien's Middle-earth</li><li>The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion</li><li>The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-earth</li><li>The Atlas of Middle-earth</li><li>J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide (Two Volume Box Set)</li></ul>Seems like a nice quick way to really expand your collection if you don't own most of these... <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Tolkien-Library-JRR/dp/0618983554" target="_blank">Click here to check it out</a>!

Postby Old_Tom_Bombadil » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:46 am

I would add these four items:
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography - Humphrey Carpenter
  • The Road to Middle-earth: Revised and Expanded Edition - Tom Shippey
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century - Tom Shippey
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator - Wayne G. Hammond, Christina Scull, and J.R.R. Tolkien

And for the TRUE fans of Tolkien, particularly those who enjoy his poetry:
  • The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and Other Verses from the Red Book - J.R.R. Tolkien (author), Pauline Baynes (illustrator)

Old_Tom_Bombadil
Ranger of the North

Silmarillion by illustrated by Ted Nasmith

Postby Eruonen » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:59 pm

The Silmarillion...illustrated by Ted Nasmith.. is beautiful and highly recommended as an essential addition to a Tolkien library.
Eruonen
Petitioner to the Council

Postby Drogo Baggins » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:20 am

You forgot:

Letters of JRR Tolkien - Humphrey Carpenter
Drogo Baggins
Ranger of the North

Re: Silmarillion by illustrated by Ted Nasmith

Postby Lord_Cie » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:36 pm

I apologize for replying to a thread that hasn't been posted in for some time, but this appeared to be the most appropriate place to ask.

Eruonen wrote:The Silmarillion...illustrated by Ted Nasmith.. is beautiful and highly recommended as an essential addition to a Tolkien library.

Is there a significant difference between the first and second editions of The Silmarillion as illustrated by Ted Nasmith?
Lord_Cie
Rider of the Mark

Postby Martin the Warrior » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:48 pm

I would add the Annotated Hobbit (any version of it and there are more than one that I know off) and Roverandom (although not my favorite work by him, he still wrote it.)
Martin the Warrior
Rider of the Mark

Re: Silmarillion by illustrated by Ted Nasmith

Postby rowanberry » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:40 am

Lord_Cie wrote:IIs there a significant difference between the first and second editions of The Silmarillion as illustrated by Ted Nasmith?

There are more illustrations in the second edition; Nasmith painted some new ones just for it.
Image I'm judging MoST again this year! Ready for the opening banquet...

MoME 2013 results are in!

The Sons of Fëanor re-embodied in the beginning of the Fourth Age? Yes, for The Maedhros and Tygarya Saga – and, as fire-hearted as ever!

On my way to Morannon on the Walk to Rivendell and Beyond!

Shire and Shutter - the TORC photoblog

Thoughts about dance, life, and everything
rowanberry
+++Out Of Cheese Error+++

Return to Book News