SPOILER The Lord of the Rings Teaser Poster ... UPDATED 03-02-2001, 6pm - The First Official Poster for the Films

Read up and comment on the latest news on the past and future Middle-earth inspired films.

Hollywood crap

Postby Mithril » Sat Mar 03, 2001 7:50 pm

<p>I don't know but that poster is sure pretty graphic and flashy, not at all matching the taste of Tolkien's book. Hell, of course hollywood doesn't care, all they care about is getting people to come and get money, money, money, money. They don't care one tad about keeping the holy book pure. They're gonna defile Tolkien's book. <BR>2 is all they deserve.</p>
Mithril
Citizen of Imladris

Yuck!

Postby Witch-Queen » Sun Mar 04, 2001 1:49 am

<p>I dont like it one bit. Frodo looks whimpy, people who dont know the story will absolutely have no idea what the poster is about. I know some of you think Elijah is hot but I venture to guess the target audience will not be young females..he looks very feminine to me. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I like EW, I just dont like this poster. My husband, big movie buff, never read LOTR's doesnt like it either, says he wouldnt go see it if this was all he knew about the film.</p>
Witch-Queen
Petitioner to the Council

Yuck!

Postby Witch-Queen » Sun Mar 04, 2001 1:49 am

<p>I dont like it one bit. Frodo looks whimpy, people who dont know the story will absolutely have no idea what the poster is about. I know some of you think Elijah is hot but I venture to guess the target audience will not be young females..he looks very feminine to me. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I like EW, I just dont like this poster. My husband, big movie buff, never read LOTR's doesnt like it either, says he wouldnt go see it if this was all he knew about the film.</p>
Witch-Queen

2 cents . . .

Postby Tolkien-zealot » Sun Mar 04, 2001 7:56 am

<p>Teaser, Teaser, Teaser! It is just a teaser, people. If you do not like it, hold your breath until a really astounding one comes out later that really and truly shows just how big this film will be. Oh, and to the people who worry that people will not know what the film is about: "What are you talking about?" When does a teaser poster EVER convey that knowledge. I have never seen a teaser poster, or almost any poster for that matter, that revealed to me (solely on its own) the storyline or even the good or bad characters. This is what trailers are for, people. As for me, I adore this poster. It has just enough mystery, simplicity, and fear to make me go: "Hmmm, I wonder what that is all about? Looks interesting, though." (this is just if I had NOT already read LOTR). Having read it, I am duly impressed with the path that the marketing bunch have chosen to take. Lets hope that they continually 1-up themselves.</p>
Tolkien-zealot

2 cents . . .

Postby Tolkien-zealot » Sun Mar 04, 2001 7:56 am

<p>Teaser, Teaser, Teaser! It is just a teaser, people. If you do not like it, hold your breath until a really astounding one comes out later that really and truly shows just how big this film will be. Oh, and to the people who worry that people will not know what the film is about: "What are you talking about?" When does a teaser poster EVER convey that knowledge. I have never seen a teaser poster, or almost any poster for that matter, that revealed to me (solely on its own) the storyline or even the good or bad characters. This is what trailers are for, people. As for me, I adore this poster. It has just enough mystery, simplicity, and fear to make me go: "Hmmm, I wonder what that is all about? Looks interesting, though." (this is just if I had NOT already read LOTR). Having read it, I am duly impressed with the path that the marketing bunch have chosen to take. Lets hope that they continually 1-up themselves.</p>
Tolkien-zealot

Lipstick?

Postby FraKcture » Mon Mar 05, 2001 6:18 am

<p>What's with the lipstick on Frodo? He looks like an 80's metal band singer. I think he was with Cinderella or Ratt maybe. Anyway, this poster certainly isn't going up on my wall.<P>From a marketing standpoint as well as someone whos knows the entire story, the eye of Sauron as a poster would be great. However, if it was up to me, I would hold off on using the eye until after the first movie. Since "the eye searching for the Ring" becomes manifested in the final chapter of FOTR (and therefore, at the end of the first movie), it would be a great poster to remind you of the first movie and encourage anticipation of the next movie. In other words, I don't know if we'll see the eye before the first movie or not. If so, maybe just a small one in the background. Either way, THAT poster might be able to get a spot on a wall. (Depends on the movies...)</p>
FraKcture

Lipstick?

Postby FraKcture » Mon Mar 05, 2001 6:18 am

<p>What's with the lipstick on Frodo? He looks like an 80's metal band singer. I think he was with Cinderella or Ratt maybe. Anyway, this poster certainly isn't going up on my wall.<P>From a marketing standpoint as well as someone whos knows the entire story, the eye of Sauron as a poster would be great. However, if it was up to me, I would hold off on using the eye until after the first movie. Since "the eye searching for the Ring" becomes manifested in the final chapter of FOTR (and therefore, at the end of the first movie), it would be a great poster to remind you of the first movie and encourage anticipation of the next movie. In other words, I don't know if we'll see the eye before the first movie or not. If so, maybe just a small one in the background. Either way, THAT poster might be able to get a spot on a wall. (Depends on the movies...)</p>
FraKcture

Interesting...

Postby Aerin » Mon Mar 05, 2001 9:58 am

<p>First off, it's very well done! That said, there're a couple things about it that just aren't right. The color is definitely one. Also, they way they did his face. I don't know, it just seems weird to me to have his face, then his cheeks and hair totally in shadow. It looks wrong, don't you think? I actually think his face shouldn't be in as much shadow, so we can more clearly see his expression as he looks at the Ring. But aside from that, it's really good!</p>
Aerin
Mariner

Interesting...

Postby Aerin » Mon Mar 05, 2001 9:58 am

<p>First off, it's very well done! That said, there're a couple things about it that just aren't right. The color is definitely one. Also, they way they did his face. I don't know, it just seems weird to me to have his face, then his cheeks and hair totally in shadow. It looks wrong, don't you think? I actually think his face shouldn't be in as much shadow, so we can more clearly see his expression as he looks at the Ring. But aside from that, it's really good!</p>
Aerin
Mariner

You imbeciles

Postby Mithril » Thu Mar 08, 2001 11:46 am

<p>All of you who voted 4 or 5 for this stupid poster are #$@%#$*& imbeciles. If I were more detailed with my @#$%@#, I'd lose the privilege (i mean, tolkienonline will boot me and i'll lose my name, mithril) so I'll just leave it as that. <P>Now, listen to me, inivelka, you're a big stupid fool. I've read enough about the movies to be assured that Arwen will be part of the fellowship. She won't remain behind while the 9 goes on. There'll be TEN!! The reason Elrond chose 9 is that 9 members will go against the 9 evil black riders. Anyway, Peter Jackson is a #$$#@! . Sorry but i just can't keep that word down........ i am just so mad at Jackson.<P> if one equals the worst, then zero must equal worse than the worst.</p>
Mithril
Citizen of Imladris

You imbeciles

Postby Mithril » Thu Mar 08, 2001 11:46 am

<p>All of you who voted 4 or 5 for this stupid poster are #$@%#$*& imbeciles. If I were more detailed with my @#$%@#, I'd lose the privilege (i mean, tolkienonline will boot me and i'll lose my name, mithril) so I'll just leave it as that. <P>Now, listen to me, inivelka, you're a big stupid fool. I've read enough about the movies to be assured that Arwen will be part of the fellowship. She won't remain behind while the 9 goes on. There'll be TEN!! The reason Elrond chose 9 is that 9 members will go against the 9 evil black riders. Anyway, Peter Jackson is a #$$#@! . Sorry but i just can't keep that word down........ i am just so mad at Jackson.<P> if one equals the worst, then zero must equal worse than the worst.</p>
Mithril
Citizen of Imladris

rong8945!!

Postby Mithril » Thu Mar 08, 2001 11:48 am

<p>You're purely wise. WISE!! Amen, brother.</p>
Mithril
Citizen of Imladris

rong8945!!

Postby Mithril » Thu Mar 08, 2001 11:48 am

<p>You're purely wise. WISE!! Amen, brother.</p>
Mithril
Citizen of Imladris

Oops, I meant to say ring, not rong. Anyway you got it.

Postby Mithril » Thu Mar 08, 2001 11:49 am

<p></p>
Mithril
Citizen of Imladris

Oops, I meant to say ring, not rong. Anyway you got it.

Postby Mithril » Thu Mar 08, 2001 11:49 am

<p></p>
Mithril
Citizen of Imladris

think about it...Great TEASER

Postby AntoniusBloc » Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:19 pm

<p>the extremely negative comments about this poster are knee-jerk reactions. I think we all love the books so much we tend to look at this poster and worry if its going to spark the interest of people who never have read the trilogy. at first i thought this poster is great for those of us who read the books and will see the movie regardless of the poster, but should that be it's purpose? Or, should the teaser poster just ignore what we want and target the mass movie audience? so, like a previous commentator tried to do, i tried to put myself in the mind of some people i know who haven't read the book. As a result, i think that this poster will be great in attracting movie buffs, those who are really into film, but are not familiar with Tolkien. As a teaser it's perfect, it is mysterious and doesn't reflect a typical big budget hollywood fantasy picture, like some one suggested a collage of images. come on, those are the types of posters people pretty much ignore if they don't know what it's about. maybe we'll see more images in the following poster, but i'm glad for the teaser they went with this approach. on the other hand , it might not help with the die hard comic book/wrestling/toy collecting/video game playing, or the audiences that buy the "Road Trip" dvd..this poster won't help with the "Scary Movie" audience or those who walked out on "Crouching Tiger" because they didn't know they had to read subtitles, and is looking forward more to "Matrix 2" than to the Lord of the Rings....it won't help with these types of audiences, but who cares? We as true LOTR fans should be happy that it seems so far that they will come as close as they can to staying true to the book. Let's face it, this movie won't live up to the experience of reading the books. But if the film translation even comes close to illustrating Tolkien's words, it will be a great film. We have to accept that movies can't include everything when translating a book (I always encourage my ignorant friends to read the books before the movie comes out so their experience won't be tainted. they brush me off and start talking about the upcoming Spider Man movie, or the heavily influenced by tolkien Star Wars prequels. oh well, their loss.)this TEASER poster is a good sign.</p>
AntoniusBloc
Shield Bearer

think about it...Great TEASER

Postby AntoniusBloc » Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:19 pm

<p>the extremely negative comments about this poster are knee-jerk reactions. I think we all love the books so much we tend to look at this poster and worry if its going to spark the interest of people who never have read the trilogy. at first i thought this poster is great for those of us who read the books and will see the movie regardless of the poster, but should that be it's purpose? Or, should the teaser poster just ignore what we want and target the mass movie audience? so, like a previous commentator tried to do, i tried to put myself in the mind of some people i know who haven't read the book. As a result, i think that this poster will be great in attracting movie buffs, those who are really into film, but are not familiar with Tolkien. As a teaser it's perfect, it is mysterious and doesn't reflect a typical big budget hollywood fantasy picture, like some one suggested a collage of images. come on, those are the types of posters people pretty much ignore if they don't know what it's about. maybe we'll see more images in the following poster, but i'm glad for the teaser they went with this approach. on the other hand , it might not help with the die hard comic book/wrestling/toy collecting/video game playing, or the audiences that buy the "Road Trip" dvd..this poster won't help with the "Scary Movie" audience or those who walked out on "Crouching Tiger" because they didn't know they had to read subtitles, and is looking forward more to "Matrix 2" than to the Lord of the Rings....it won't help with these types of audiences, but who cares? We as true LOTR fans should be happy that it seems so far that they will come as close as they can to staying true to the book. Let's face it, this movie won't live up to the experience of reading the books. But if the film translation even comes close to illustrating Tolkien's words, it will be a great film. We have to accept that movies can't include everything when translating a book (I always encourage my ignorant friends to read the books before the movie comes out so their experience won't be tainted. they brush me off and start talking about the upcoming Spider Man movie, or the heavily influenced by tolkien Star Wars prequels. oh well, their loss.)this TEASER poster is a good sign.</p>
AntoniusBloc
Shield Bearer

2 more cents . . .

Postby Tolkien-zealot » Mon Apr 16, 2001 11:29 am

<p>Bravo AntoniusBloc! You hit it right on the head! I agree 100%! And Mithril, by the way, calm down! You honestly believe that Arwen will be part of the fellowship? THAT IS RIDICULOUS (sp?). What do you mean, you have read enough to prove that to yourself? I have also read A LOT of information from this movie so far, and yes I have seen some things that might lend themselves to your idea somewhat. However, I have also read enough to repudiate that fact. If it was true, how come whenever we read some crew member's spy report about some scene (and the scene involves the fellowship in some way), Arwen is NOT mentioned? Also, did you see the teaser trailer at all? Did you catch that last shot? Yeah, that one with the whole fellowship marching up the mountain? No Arwen!</p>
Tolkien-zealot

2 more cents . . .

Postby Tolkien-zealot » Mon Apr 16, 2001 11:29 am

<p>Bravo AntoniusBloc! You hit it right on the head! I agree 100%! And Mithril, by the way, calm down! You honestly believe that Arwen will be part of the fellowship? THAT IS RIDICULOUS (sp?). What do you mean, you have read enough to prove that to yourself? I have also read A LOT of information from this movie so far, and yes I have seen some things that might lend themselves to your idea somewhat. However, I have also read enough to repudiate that fact. If it was true, how come whenever we read some crew member's spy report about some scene (and the scene involves the fellowship in some way), Arwen is NOT mentioned? Also, did you see the teaser trailer at all? Did you catch that last shot? Yeah, that one with the whole fellowship marching up the mountain? No Arwen!</p>
Tolkien-zealot

Postby Witch-Queen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:10 pm

Who are all these lost names anyway???

Hey, I still feel this way about the movie-poster we were discussing here, but, in the end, I really liked Elijah as Frodo in the movies..but boy how I hated the idea when it first came out :P
Witch-Queen

Previous

Return to Movie News